@1234567890 - 11/20

@Alex95 - 12/20

@taylorkat - 13/20

@~*8Kay8*~ - 14/20

@FrogLenzen - 15/20

@goofycilla90 - 16/20

@JC - 16/20

Chris

The vocals delivered in this performance was EVERYTHING. Only thing this performance was lacking was Frenchie Davis's presence #Justice4Frenchie. And it's truly BS that she missed out on the Final 2 with a performance like this.

Lily

Iconic! The song I always think of when Kimberley Locke comes to mind. She totally sold it and I'm glad she got to perform this in the live shows.

Steven

One of my favorite Kimberley Locke performances. Shout-out to her duet with Frenchie in Hollywood Week too.

Elliott

Not quite as iconic as her duet in Hollywood week with Frenchie Davis, but still a great performance nonetheless. Should've won S2 tbh.

Nico

Finally something that had more energy from her and that I liked (yes, I hate It's Raining Men)

Kevin

Kim originally sang this with Frenchie in Hollywood, where she pointed out that no other contestant wanted to sing with them...because they all knew none of them were as good. :haha: It was her Random pick for top 3 night, and I'm very glad we got another version of this from her. The duet with Frenchie was great and the solo was also great.

Andrew

88) - I actually go back and forth on whether I like this or NYSOM more, but I think NYSOM is, technically, a stronger performance and has a better chance of winning, so I ranked it higher but this is another one of Kim’s highlights.

Crisis

Her rendition with Frenchie during Hollywood was iconic. Her T3 version was great as well. I would say it was the best performance of the night.

Tom

Fierce.

Andy

#Justice4Frenchie

Wally

I will forever LOL at Kimberley ~choosing~ “Band of Gold” for the Random Pick theme. :haha: I loved this when Kimberley sang this with Frenchie and I loved it once it again when she did her own solo version of this. I love how much fun she had with this, as well as showcasing so much attitude and delivering strong powerful vocals throughout. I love those parts where she sings Now that you’re goneeeee and Sincee you been gooone! :bobo: She sang this so well throughout which was to be executed. Also really love her big note at the end of this. She made this all so effortless. This was easily my favorite uptempo performance from her.

Alex

Honestly, I'm just heartbroken over everything with Frenchie Davis. It's hard for me to fully stan this performance since she had that Moment with Frenchie in Hollywood that's absolutely iconic. She still slayed this performance though and it's easily my second favorite Kimberley performance.

JC

this is terrible too

4. Trenyce "Proud Mary"

DdHhNDQ.png

6.9/20

Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVc_-_QzdG8

@Alex95 - 1/20

@NGM - 1/20

@taylorkat - 2/20

@JC - 2/20

@goofycilla90 - 3/20

@~*8Kay8*~ - 3/20

@*Lily - 4/20

@Elliott - 4/20

@1234567890 - 6/20

@#jeah - 6/20

@Steven_ - 6/20

@*Wallace - 7/20

@Weedy_Speedy - 8/20

@*Diana - 8/20

@Solaris - 10/20

@sublymonal - 10/20

@*Chris - 11/20

@*Amanda - 12/20

@FrogLenzen - 12/20

@Crisis - 13/50

@~Tom~ - 15/20

Alex

Not my favorite getting fourth place again :dead:. Once again, the top three are iconic performances and I didn't expect it to win so I'm happy with fourth place. Trenyce OWNED this song though. Never have I seen it performed as well on any singing show as Trenyce performed it. To me, this is absolutely the performance of the season. To think she was eliminated after this! Racists!

Nico

FINALLY SOMEONE THAT DID SOMETHING THAT HAD ENERGY HOLY SH!T

JC

obsessed with this performance

Lily

Trenyce totally killed it with both performances on this night, and got robbed! "Proud Mary" takes a lotttt of energy and vocal power but I thought she did an excellent job.

Elliott

Her being eliminated after this does not make sense with my fantasy.

Andy

Absolutely love this song and Trenyce gave my favorite rendition that I remember from the show. She didn’t try to overdo it and just came out and had fun and slayed

Steven

Trenyce's best performance of the competition, and the best Idol performance of "Proud Mary" too.

Wally

Trenyce started the trend of singing a lot of overdone songs on Idol, with “Proud Mary”, but Trenyce’s version is amongst my favorite versions on the show. Trenyce had such a killer Final 5 night showing with this and “Love Will Keep Us Together” (which got disgustingly robbed and would have been in my Top 5. :/ *watches that performance after this*). Back to “Proud Mary,” Trenyce simply slayed this. I love how she sang the slower part of the song with a rich soulful quality to her voice. But the best part of this is where the performance kicks into the uptempo portion. She is SANGING it but really letting loose and having the most fun she’s ever had. Slay Trenyce! :bobo: She really performed this like a star! :omg:

And as always, I LIVE for her “come on y’all” shoutouts which she does a few times. This was one of the most fun and entertaining performances of the season! :wub: Aww and loved seeing Rickey Smith cheering her on here.

Kevin

I personally think Trenyce went on a downward spiral starting around top 8 week, but she was back on her game once the top 5 hit. It sucks that this was one of her swan songs but at least she went out on a high note. I'm personally over "Proud Mary" at this point because everyone performs it exactly the same, but Trenyce had just enough nuance and restraint to make her version special in my opinion.

Chris

I am taking a lesson from certain rankers and ranking this performance lower than I wanted to rank it as I would like to see other performances win in the end; I doubt this performance is a threat compare to IHN but I do know Trenyce is well loved. Anyway, this performance was filled energy and Trenyce nailed the vocals IMO - it's truly BS that she got eliminated after this performance.

Crisis

After a few “down” weeks, Trenyce came out with this fun number, and it was disappointing she was eliminated after this and Love Will Keep Us Together. I think it’s the best version done on Idol.

Tom

Shouldn't have left after this!

3. Ruben Studdard "A Whole New World"

rTxDcds.png

6.0/20

Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXTjAJI-3LE

@*Lily - 1/20

@Crisis - 2/20

@taylorkat - 3/20

@Solaris - 3/20

@*Wallace - 3/20

@FrogLenzen - 3/20

@~Tom~ - 3/20

@Steven_ - 4/20

@1234567890 - 5/20

@#jeah - 5/20

@Weedy_Speedy - 5/20

@*Amanda - 5/20

@Alex95 - 6/20

@NGM - 6/20

@*Chris - 7/20

@goofycilla90 - 8/20

@~*8Kay8*~ - 10/20

@JC - 10/20

@sublymonal - 11/20

@Elliott - 12/20

@*Diana - 13/20

Lily

My favorite performance of Ruben's and honestly? I think it might be of the season too. He sounded brilliant and it really showed off the strengths of his voice.

Crisis

Easily Ruben’s best performance and one of S2’s best overall performances. Pretty much all of Ruben’s best qualities were highlighted here.

Wally

Ruben singing the big song from my all-time favorite animated movie/obsession? He just knows how to stay my favorite! :haha: I’m very  glad Ruben’s "A Whole New World" made it into the finals, via the final round of rankers deciding the remaining performances. I was confident this would be the Ruben performance that could get there but was also scared it could have gotten cut, which thank goodness wasn’t the case. But yeah I love this song and reallly love Ruben’s version of this song. He has such a great soulful voice, and there’s such a warm and magical quality, that he makes it all so effortless. I really love how he belts out certain parts of the song such as him singing:

A whooollleee neeewww woooorrrrlllddd

A dazzling place I never knew

Or am I alone dreaming

A whole new world

A new fantastic point of view

No one to tell us "No"

Or where to go

Just let me in this whole new world with youuu

Ooh wow and was this the point where Ruben was coined the Velvet Teddy bear, which Gladys Knight said in her comments? 😮 I do view “A Whole New World" as Ruben’s best and standout performance for sure. It’s my favorite of his too. I’m hoping this can crack the Top 10 so fingers crossed.

Tom

Easily Ruben's best!

Steven

My favorite Disney song. Ruben did a really good job with this one.

Andy

This was terrific! Wtf was he wearing though? Truly, sorry 2004

Kevin

This and "Superstar" are immediately the songs I most associated with Ruben on Idol. Well and "Flying Without Wings" I guess, but that's only because it's been shoved down my throat so much. In any case, Ruben absolutely dominated the early voting rounds and was a great choice as a clear favorite. It was an inspired song choice and he did superb.

Alex

I used to think this performance was overrated, but I saw the light on this rewatch. It's really a comfort performance. It's just so nice to listen to, a classic song that everyone knows. And that's what Ruben does best. Is it a difficult song? No. But he just makes me feel good watching it.

Nico

I know it's his "best" performance but I don't find it super impressive? Like it's a nice vocal but the song is just too cringe for me to be completely on board

Chris

One of his legacy performance as it should be remembered as this was his best performance in the competition; I feel Ruben truly peak with this performance and was unable to deliver anything near this performance.  And I am ranking it a big higher than I normally would rank it due to strategic ranking.

JC

obsessed with this song, always sing this for karaoke

Elliott

Ruben's only good performance.

2. Kimberley Locke "New York State Of Mind"

RDkLe0r.png

5.7/20

Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn8exM_rXD4

@Crisis - 1/20

@*Chris - 1/20

@*Amanda - 1/20

@*Diana - 1/20

@Elliott - 1/20

@~Tom~ - 1/20

@#jeah - 2/20

@Weedy_Speedy - 2/20

@Solaris - 2/20

@Steven_ - 2/20

@*Wallace - 2/20

@sublymonal - 2/20

@NGM - 3/20

@~*8Kay8*~ - 4/20

@Alex95 - 7/20

@*Lily - 8/20

@taylorkat - 10/20

@1234567890 - 14/20

@FrogLenzen - 16/20

@goofycilla90 - 20/20

@JC - 20/20

Crisis

The one performance that turned Kimberley into a potential dark horse for the crown. It was a strong classy performance and is one of the handful of performances I re-watch on a regular basis.

Chris

Easily the performance of Season 2 - everything about it from vocal performance to arrangement to song choice was flawless. They truly don't deliver performance like these on the Idol stage nowadays.

Elliott

When Beyoncé wrote Flawless, this is what she was talking about.

Tom

The quintessentual Kim Locke performance.

Andy

Sublime and effortless. This and BOTW/Solitaire have always been the most memorable performances of S2 to me

Kevin

People usually list this as Kim's best performance. For me it's her second best, but that's hardly a diss...it's still a magnificent vocal. Her outfit was on-point too, early 2000s realness. ❤️

Steven

Wonderful performance. Her delivery was effortless, yet very impressive. Easily one of the best performances of the season.

Wally

“New York State Of Mind” is an absolutely amazing performance from Kimberley, and one that I really love so much from her. :wub: I’m not really a Billy Joel fan, so didn’t know this song before Kim sang it but i instantly love her version soo much!  I love how we saw a completely different side of Kim here, that bluesy and jazz side of her. She sounds and performs this in such a mature classy way…. and her vocals throughout are absolutely golden. ❤️ I love how she sings: I'm in a New Yooorrrk state of mind.

However my favorite part of this performance is how she sings that whole second verse, particular where she sings:

It comes down to reality

And it's fine with me 'cause I've let it slide

Don't care if it's Chinatown or on Riverside

I don't have any reasons

I'm in a New York state of mind.

Then I really love all of her closing ad-libs with the whole: Heyyy yeahhh oooohhhh. NEW YORK. STATE OF MINDD. Ooooohhhh. I’m in a neewww yoorrkk state of miiinnddd.

Andrew

(91) - This is my highest ranking that I think actually has a chance of winning. I think the final 3 will be this and Trenyce’s IHN and PM. I hope this takes the top spot. Kim killed this and I refuse to acknowledge people who pretend Julia Gargano’s version was better. Was it good? Yes. But this was flawless.

Nico

Great, this was Kim at her best

Alex

Yass Queen! See, I'm not a h8r! Miss Locke showed up and did what she had to do. She SANG the hell out of that song. She was running away with the win for so long till those tanks came on the last day. Would've been a deserving winner (though also happy with the winner).

Lily

My favorite Billy Joel song and Kimberley did an excellent job with it! Totally deserving of being in the top 20.

JC

this is actually decent because I love this song

1. Clay Aiken "Bridge Over Troubled Water"

npvTYSd.png

5.0/20

Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blEEIsGC3zA

@#jeah - 1/20

@Solaris - 1/20

@Steven_ - 1/20

@*Wallace - 1/20

@FrogLenzen - 1/20

@JC - 1/20

@goofycilla90 - 2/20

@~*8Kay8*~ - 2/20

@1234567890 - 3/20

@Weedy_Speedy - 3/20

@sublymonal - 3/20

@Alex95 - 4/20

@Crisis - 4/20

@*Lily - 5/20

@~Tom~ - 5/20

@*Amanda - 6/20

@*Diana - 6/20

@NGM - 8/20

@*Chris - 12/20

@taylorkat - 17/20

@Elliott - 20/20

Andy

Clay should have won Season 2. This and Solitaire are some of the best vocals on AI ever. I love the whole production of this performance, with the choir and Clay just casually walking up to the mic at the beginning of the performance. It definitely helps that this song is the song that it is….truly fantastic performance

Solaris

absolute crime that Solitaire, the single best performance of the season isn’t in the Top 20, this is a suitable alternative I suppose.

Steven

One of the best Idol performances ever.

Wally

This is probably a surprise to most rankers that I view Clay’s “Bridge Over Troubled Water” as my favorite performance of Season 2. Even though my Ruben stan self wouldn’t admit to that in 2003 but I got around that. :haha: Clay is my 4th favorite of the season as I do prefer Ruben, Kimberlely and Trenyce over him and Carmen on live time of the season, but I could never deny that this was truly an outstanding and incredible performance. I always have to give credit where its due and this #1 ranking is proof of that. I am glad Andrew & Steven advanced this because i would have certainly raged if this didn’t make the finals.

Clay sang this song in such a strong and fantastic way. I like how he starts off the song softly but really connects with all of what he’s singing here. But I do love how he slowly builds this up. I love the part where he sings:

I'm on your side

Oh when times get rough

And friends just can't be found

Like a bridge over troubled water

I will lay me down

I also love the choir addition to this performance, and I think they helped elevate what was already an amazing performance from Clay, to a higher level. :yes: This performance has such a perfect inspirational gospel feel to it, which was something different from him. Some other parts I love are where Clay sings:

Your time has come to shine

All your dreams are on their way

I'm sailing right behind

But my favorite part of this performance is definitely towards the end of it, where he really builds it up and (not sings it) SANGS IT where he sings: 

Like a bridge over troubled water

I will ease your mind

Youuurrrr miiindd! EEASSEE YOUUUURRR MIIIINNNDDD!

Those last notes he hit were absolute KILLER! :omg: This was truly an amazing performance from Clay, and what I feel was truly his best performance (of course that’s in my opinion). So I am hoping this can get a spot in the Final 5, so fingers crossed.

JC

i mean duh, KING

Kevin

Funny how all of Clay's "top-tier" performances, this is the only one in the top 20. It was pretty incredible, one of the few times a season was ended with an absolute slayage on the stage. It should have gotten him the win (and lbr if the phones hadn't dropped so many calls, he would've won) and it's my favorite performance of his.

Andrew

(86) - Clay and KLo were my Top 2 during the season and this performance was one of the many reasons why, ultimately, I wanted Clay to win. He just had the ability to tell such vivid stories when he sang and his voice was so classic and timeless. This performance still gives me chills.

Alex

This really pulled off the upset! The tanks came in early so he was slowly fighting his way to the top five. Then he kept climbing higher and higher and the previous leaders kept falling till he took over the top spot by the end. This performance is such a moment for Clay. The producers knew it, Clay knew it, I knew it. I'm still shocked he didn't win after it. Well at least he won this :haha:.

Crisis

I thought this performance won the crown for Clay. It is definitely one of his best performances of the season.

Lily

I think this is my favorite performance of Clay's overall. I was honestly kinda hit or miss on him over the season, his voice and song selections aren't totally my sort of vibe, but this was a super powerful number with the choir and a perfect closing performance.

Tom

Flawless.

Nico

Very good vocal

Chris

Absolutely love this performance & probably my favourite performance of his; But in a typical rankdown tradition, I am ranking this one strategically it - I could not justify myself to rank it any lower and hopefully it pays off during the final ranking. And if the ranking does not win & it manages to win, it will be a deserving winner.

Elliott

Almost as overrated as Carrie's season four run.

• Alex95 changed the title to American Idol Performances Mini Rankdown (Season 2 #5-1 Posted)