American Idol Performances Mini Rankdown

Alex95

2 hours ago, ~Tom~ said:

I wish you good luck with that, Wallace! You’re going to need it. :giggle: 

Very pleased with this top 5 also! I didn’t cut ABM to be petty, I thought that’s one of her boring ones and I didn’t want it winning over Fantasia’s iconic ones or even LaToya ones I liked more. #sorrynotsorry 

Child.... I don't even know what to do with you. :closedeyes: 

But lol I do honestly respect your opinion (even if I do entirely disagree with you :haha: ). Though I feel that way towards "Ooh Baby Baby" and maybe "All the Time."

40 minutes ago, ~Tom~ said:

Same! I was just glad AOMM didn't make bottom 5, it's so underrated and beautiful! Wally doesn't get to give me shade for my cuts with his 20 ranking of it though. 🙂 

I would never cut AOMM unlike you with ABM. 🙂 So you are still the worst offender. 🙂😘 

Alex:

Amanda:

Andrew:

Andy:

Chris:

Crisis:

FLAWLESS

Derek:

FLAWLESS

Diana:

Elliott:

Gigi:

JC:

Kaley:

Lily:

Nico:

Priscilla:

Sola:

Steven:

Tom: 

Victoria:

Wallace:

FLAWLESS

Weedy:

Edited by FrogLenzen

Alternatively, here's the ranks remaining that are higher than 5:

Alex:

Amanda:

Andrew:

Andy:

Chris:

Crisis:

NONE

Derek:

NONE

Diana:

Elliott:

Gigi:

JC:

Kaley:

Lily:

Nico:

Priscilla:

Sola:

Steven:

Tom: 

Victoria:

Wallace:

NONE

Weedy:

Edited by FrogLenzen

17 minutes ago, *Amanda said:

Well, I cant always do as flawlessly in a final ranking as I am in the Big Brother rankdown I guess. :dead: Clearly I'm not quite on the same page as the rest of IDF when it comes to season 3. :haha: 

Amanda no longer being in the popular kids club. :shock:

5. LaToya London "Somewhere"

Ina2RcT.png

6.6/20

Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWCQ8lwj4L4

@JC - 2/20

@*Wallace - 2/20

@Weedy_Speedy - 2/20

@NGM - 2/20

@*Lily - 4/20

@Alex95 - 4/20

@Solaris - 5/20

@taylorkat - 5/20

@Crisis - 5/20

@FrogLenzen - 5/20

@sublymonal - 6/20

@Steven_ - 7/20

@*Chris - 7/20

@*Diana - 7/20

@*Amanda - 8/20

@~*8Kay8*~ - 9/20

@#jeah - 9/20

@1234567890 - 9/20

@goofycilla90 - 12/20

@~Tom~ - 13/20

@Elliott - 15/20

JC

STUNNING Latoya best win out of the divas, she's simply the best ❤️

Wally

"Somewhere" is a song that is often sung often on singing competition shows, but LaToya’s version always remains up there as one of my favorite versions, if not very favorite? This was yet another amazing and incredible performance from LaToya. LaToya starts off this performance so softly and beautifully…. her voice is so heavenly there. :wub: But then she builds this performance up so wonderfully where she belts out the chorus in such a FLAWLESS way. I really love how she sings and belts out:

Someday, somewhere

We'll find a new way of living

Will find there's a way of forgiving

Somewhere...

Soooo incredible! :omg:  I especially love how she belts out “somewhere” and “someday.”

Then I also love how she sings:

There's a place for us

A time and a place for us

Hold my hand and I'll take you there

Some way…

Somehow...

somewhere...

The way she belted out those three words blew me away. :omg: Especially her last “somewhere” note she held for nearly 10 seconds? She absolutely crushed, slayed, killed this performance! :omg: This was such an impeccable performance. Gosh ranking these higher up performances is insanely difficult, but I think I am satisfied and at peace ranking this LaToya performance 2nd on my list.

Lily

What a voice, what a talent! LaToya rarely had any misses in this season, just a bunch of solid-gold hits. Another performance which just defined her excellence.

Alex

Flawless. That's all I could say. After J-Hud and Fantasia came out there and slayed "I Have Nothing" and "Summertime" LaToya had some big shoes to fill. She came out there and sang the hell out of "Somewhere" like it was nothing. Performances like these are why LaToya is genuinely one of the best to ever do the show.

Crisis

On any other night, this would be the best performance. However, it was unfortunately overshadowed by what is considered to be a legendary Idol performance. Nevertheless, this was a great performance from LaToya, and it was a great way to close the show.

Andrew

To quote Gottmik: Gorge.

Steven

Very strong performance! She really showed off the power of her voice here.

Chris

One of my all-time favourite song which LaToya absolutely slayed, although another performance of this song outrank this one - I would rank this performance in my Top 3 performances of LaToya, and it would be a worthy winner of this rankdown.  But I am moved it a bit down from where I had it in order to help Fantasia as we all know there's 2 vocal haters around here.

Andy

This is a flawless vocal.

Elliott

Another solid performance from LaToya, but when I think of this song on Idol, I just think of Candice.

4. Jennifer Hudson "Circle Of Life"

KlitAAx.png

6.2/20

Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0dxMx1ZaNM

@Weedy_Speedy - 1/20

@*Lily - 2/20

@#jeah - 2/20

@*Wallace - 3/20

@~Tom~ - 3/20

@~*8Kay8*~ - 3/20

@Solaris - 4/20

@Crisis - 4/20

@FrogLenzen - 4/20

@Alex95 - 5/20

@goofycilla90 - 5/20

@Elliott - 6/20

@*Amanda - 7/20

@sublymonal - 7/20

@Steven_ - 8/20

@*Chris - 8/20

@taylorkat - 8/20

@NGM - 8/20

@1234567890 - 8/20

@*Diana - 14/20

@JC - 20/20

Lily

This is the highlight of me of JHud's American Idol career. One of my all-time favorite Idol performances. Really showcased what an exceptional talent she is.

Andy

Queen did THAT. The power this has. The influence this has. The significance this has!!!! This season has a lot of iconic performances...and Jennifer being one of the most successful Idol alum is so cool to me. She’s amazing.

Wally

Jennifer’s "Circle Of Life" is such a legendary performance, and I am glad its in the finals. :wub: Before this, I felt that Jennifer gave 3 underwhelming performances in the finals, so i was glad she delivered this showstopper on “Circle Of Life,” and put herself as a contender! I loved George’s and LaToya’s performances that night (ugh “Someone Saved My Life Tonight” got robbed :broken: ), but Jennifer was my favorite on the Elton John night episode. I love the huskiness Jennifer has in her lower register when she sings the opening verse but then she quickly powers through into so much greatness once she gets into the chorus. The entire chorus that she sings is my favorite, but I especially love the part where she sings:

'Til we find our place

On the path unwinding

In the circle, the circle of life

On the path unwinding

In the circle, the circle of life

ALL THOSE BIG POWER NOTES she hits so effortlessly! :omg: Excuse my language but freaking INCREDIBLE. :omg: I am slayed and blown away by this performance. :dead: I also always love the part where she puts her hand forward while sanging her face off. I was addicted to this performance where i would play and listen to this so much for many years. :haha: Lastly, we can’t forget about her family member who stood there with her arms crossed looking unimpressed… who became a meme before memes were a thing. Such a funny moment. :giggle: I initially had this at #5, but was so blown away,  I found myself pushing this up to #3. But yeah this is such an incredible performance…… and easily my favorite from Jennifer!

Solaris

stunning vocal

Crisis

After a couple of rough weeks, Jennifer unleashed this monster and became a viable contender. I think this was the best performance of the night and was a start of a strong three week stretch for her.

Alex

This Oscar winning legend once upon a time was an underdog on American Idol who no one thought could win. She was constantly in the bottom three, she needed a wildcard to even make it to this point. While I felt the first half of Jennifer's journey is underrated, I understand how it didn't inspire much passion. But then, Elton John night happened. Jennifer strolled out onto the stage and gives a star-making performance of "Circle Of Life". The rest is history. And who could forget the cameo from future meme queen Whatevia :wub: :wub: :wub:

Elliott

Miss JHud was tired of not getting America's votes and it showed this week. ❤️ ICONIC.

Andrew

JHud’s best and yet not even close to what she’s capable of now, but to turn a Disney song into an iconic moment and then peace out? Legendary behaviour.

Steven

A superb performance!

Chris

This performance really defined her journey on the show, and it's one of the most memorable performance of Season 3 - I always enjoyed Jennifer Hudson's delivery of this song & I really wish I could have ranked it higher than this but I prefer the other performances more.

3. Fantasia Barrino "I Believe"

UrqOowT.png

6.1/20

Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRNIsY1ha3E

@Elliott - 1/20

@taylorkat - 1/20

@sublymonal - 1/20

@*Chris - 2/20

@*Diana - 2/20

@~*8Kay8*~ - 2/20

@Crisis - 3/20

@FrogLenzen - 3/20

@goofycilla90 - 4/20

@#jeah - 4/20

@NGM - 4/20

@1234567890 - 4/20

@*Wallace - 5/20

@Steven_ - 6/20

@Weedy_Speedy - 6/20

@Alex95 - 6/20

@*Lily - 7/20

@~Tom~ - 14/20

@JC - 17/20

@*Amanda - 18/20

@Solaris - 19/20

Elliott

Look I know most people consider Summertime Fantasia's shining moment, but full stop, her performance of I Believe is the true cultural reset. Nobody has ever sang/performed an Idol coronation song with this much passion and conviction. Every lyric was a gut punch to my heart and you just knew how much Idol was going to change her life regardless of the result. She is an icon, a legend, and she is The Moment™.

Andrew

The best winner’s single performance on the show, bar none. This was the moment when we all knew she was going to win and we wept along with her.

Chris

Easily the best Winner's single performance of all-time, on top of being the best Winners' single of all-time.  And ranking it higher than two performances that I absolutely love as I think this performance could also win the rankdown.

Crisis

To this day, this is my favorite coronation song performance. One of Fantasia’s biggest strengths was fully committing to a song, and this performance was a prime example of that. This is Fantasia’s song and I can’t see anyone covering it without falling short.

Andy

THE Idol coronation song/performance. A classic, Fantasia emotes and feels the lyrics like no one else this season. And I’m a sucker for a good choir appearance!

Wally

Fantasia’s "I Believe" stands out as one of the best and my favorite American Idol corornation songs ever (alongside “A Moment Like This.”) It was kinda crazy having Fantasia and Diana singing this song. While I do feel Diana’s version is good and kinda underrated, Fantasia absolutely slays this song and it was honestly made for her. :omg: I also feel this is my favorite performance of an Idol coronation song too.

The emotional connection she pours into this song is so bone chilling, it’s as if she wrote the song herself and performed it for years. She sounds so stunning on the opening verse of the song. ❤️ But then i really love how she builds this song up once she gets to the chorus. I love how she sings this chorus SO much! :wub: But then my absolute favorite part of the song is where she does all of her signature “Yeah yeah yeah’s” and sing that bridge!

I believe in the impossible

If I reach deep within my heart

Overcome any obstacle

Won't let this dream fall apart

See I strive to be the very best

Shine my light for all to see

Cause anything is possible 

When you believe yeah

That part of the performance is so epic! :omg:

I love the “love keeps lifting me higher” parts of the performance. I also love the choir addition to this performance, as that was such a perfect backing for Fantasia. She always takes it to the church with a number of her performances, and she certainly lived up to that. Goodness, Fantasia gave me all the feels and all the chills with how she sang, performed and emoted this song. It’s truly a thing of beauty. ❤️

Steven

One of the better Idol coronation songs. Although Fantasia's voice isn't really my cup of tea, this was an exceptional performance. The emotion, the lyrics, and the delivery all came together to make it a standout performance.

Alex

Is this song cheesy as hell? Of course, just like all the coronation singles. However, Fantasia just owned every single part of this song and made me believe everything she was singing with all my heart. Nobody has committed to a coronation single as well as Fantasia. This was Fantasia's moment and this was when Fantasia decided she will the next American Idol. Poor Diana didn't stand a chance lmao.

Lily

A really beautiful and emotional end to a magnificent chapter of her journey on Idol.

Solaris

made for her, so near the bottom!

2. Fantasia Barrino "Summertime"

xVzm0j1.png

4.9/20

Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WWtGpEqpV4

@*Wallace - 1/20

@*Chris - 1/20

@~Tom~ - 1/20

@~*8Kay8*~ - 1/20

@#jeah - 1/20

@NGM - 1/20

@FrogLenzen - 1/20

@Alex95 - 2/20

@goofycilla90 - 2/20

@Crisis - 2/20

@sublymonal - 2/20

@1234567890 - 2/20

@Elliott - 3/20

@*Lily - 3/20

@Weedy_Speedy - 3/20

@*Amanda - 5/20

@taylorkat - 7/20

@*Diana - 12/20

@Steven_ - 14/20

@JC - 19/20

@Solaris - 20/20

Wally

Fantasia’s "Summertime" performance is A MOMENT. There are a few American Idol performances that are talked about and remembered for years (from big fans to the casual viewers)…. and I feel “Summertime” is certainly one of those performances that have been and will always be remembered. I wasn’t familiar with this song before Fantasia, but I always associate it with her. Fantasia was my favorite of this season, so it goes without saying I absolutely loved this performance from her and got major chills from it. :omg: Fantasia sings this so softly and beautifully throughout. Not only that, but the way she sings it….. she tells such a vulnerable story through the song! I love every part of this but I’ll highlight some of my main favorite parts. 

I love the part where she sings:

You’re daddy’s rich

And your mom is good lookin’

Don’t you cry

❤️

From the next verse, I really love the part where she sings:

One of these mornings

You’re gonna rise up singing

Then you spread your wings

And fly to the sky oohhhh yeahhh yeah yeah yeah

I love how she moves her arm like she is spreading her wings! ❤️ Then lastly i love how Fantasia closes this perofmrane where she sings:

With mommy and daddy

Staaaaannnnnding bbbyyyy

All in all, “Summertime” was such a classic, captivating and timeless performance from Fantasia. I love how she made this song her own. This song has stuck with her throughout her career, as she recorded it for her debut album and sang the song 12 years later with La’Porsha Renae on Season 15, which was another amazing performance:

Ranking all of these performances were super hard and I changed my rankings on a number of them, but I always knew that “Summertime” would be #1. That did not change after going through these performances. I also expect this to be the first performance I rank at #1 not to win, as I know some rankers aren’t fans of Fantasia so I expect this to get some low rankings there. I’m just hoping for at least a Top 5 ranking, although higher than that would be nice!

Chris

Flawless vocal delivery by Fantasia - easily her best performance & one of the best performance in American Idol HISTORY. I expect some people to tank this song which won't be a cute look for them

Andy

Still in talks for the greatest AI performance ever. Queen of inventing the “Moment.” From her positioning on the stage to the lighting to her outfit to her delivery. Everything about this is a 10/10 and still gives me chills to this day. If people tank this I will go awfff

Derek

Imagine giving one of the greatest televised vocal performances of all time and then you have to stand there and listen to Quentin Tarantino address you

Alex

It's really no mystery why this performance has become one of the most iconic in the history of this show. Fantasia won the season with this performance. I have no words to describe it. Just truly an amazing moment in American Idol history.

Crisis

One of the most celebrated Idol performances and in the short list as far as the greatest Idol performance is concerned. Everything just came together for Fantasia in this number. This is definitely worthy of being #1; however, I ranked one performance ahead of it.

Andrew

An iconic moment in American Idol history and fully deserving of the win, if it does, but I think it will be bussed by a few haters.

Elliott

Legendary. Queen sh*t. The way that Fantasia had so many Queen Sh*t performances in S3 alone... when will your faves!? 😘

Lily

Legendary moment in Idol history. It feels almost criminal not to put it at the top but there were so many performances I loved from this group and I'm hoping it'll get showered with praise anyway.

Steven

Fantasia's signature moment on the show. I just like other performances in this Top 20 more.

Solaris

The only performance I like from fantasia, which makes it the obvious front runner to win this season.

1. LaToya London "Don't Rain On My Parade"

0R1KLIc.png

4.0/20

Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w-g0skA6gs

@*Lily - 1/20

@Alex95 - 1/20

@Crisis - 1/20

@1234567890 - 1/20

@Steven_ - 2/20

@Solaris - 2/20

@FrogLenzen - 2/20

@JC - 3/20

@*Chris - 3/20

@*Diana - 3/20

@goofycilla90 - 3/20

@NGM - 3/20

@*Wallace - 4/20

@Weedy_Speedy - 5/20

@sublymonal - 5/20

@*Amanda - 6/20

@taylorkat - 6/20

@#jeah - 6/20

@~*8Kay8*~ - 8/20

@~Tom~ - 9/20

@Elliott - 10/20

Lily

My favorite performance of the season, one of my favorite Idol performances ever. LaToya just EXUDES star quality here and deserves to be center-stage in everything.

Alex

When LaToya said "Let's show em boys" I immediately knew this was gonna be a Moment. She really showed em boys one of the greatest performances in the history of the show. I mean, it was a runaway for this one to win. No bottom 10 rankings! This performance deserves to be universally loved. LaToya's stage presence is undeniable here. And I'm glad something uptempo won this season! The first two seasons had ballads win and I know ballads create the ~moments~ but uptempo songs can be moments as well! LaToya is a star and I really hate that she's the only diva that didn't blow up after the show. LaToya deserved better!

Crisis

My favorite S3 performance and in my Top 10 Idol Performances. Between this and Too Close For Comfort, LaToya owned this week. She also had what I consider to be the best Idol swan song with this a week later. I don’t expect this to be #1 because I think Summertime will top the list, but I’m hoping it at least finishes in the Top 5. 🤞

Steven

Fantastic vocals from LaToya! She had a lot of charm, and that last note was especially impressive. It was an amazing performance.

Solaris

better than Lea Michele

Derek

remember that time LaToya was eliminated and then still reprised this perfectly

JC

GORGEOUS performance by Latoya, QUEEN! ❤️ 

Chris

If you know me well enough, you would know that I absolutely love Broadway so it should be no surprise that I am ranking this performance high on my ranking.  And this performance always been one of my favourite from Season 3 - it's pretty much at the same level as Summertime, in my opinion.  Anyway, everything about this performance was flawless - loved how she took a risk & did this song for Big Band which absolutely worked out in her favour as she completely nailed the heck out this classic by Babs.  (Side note : I thought of tanking this song so Summertime would have a better chance at winning but I couldn't bring myself to do that to LaToya especially considering that it's one of my favourite performance of the season).

Wally

For my winner’s prediction, I feel and predict that LaToya a performance will win…. i was thinking either "Don't Rain On My Parade" or “Somewhere,” but leaning towards "Don't Rain On My Parade.”  I would not be mad about that if I’m right since this is an absolutely fantastic performance. The way LaToya starts off this performance where she sings “hey world! here I am!”, is already iconic. THOSE OPENING VOCALS? Are just wow and so incredible! :omg: It was like she was making a statement and she let herself be known there. She delivered such flawless perfect vocals throughout as well showing lots of personality had killer stage presence here. She really came off as a professional Broadway performer. Some parts I really love from LaToya are where she sings:

I gotta fly once

I gotta try once

Only can die once, right, sir?

Ooh, life is juicy

Juicy, and you'll see

I'm gonna have my bite, sir!

She sounds so amazing there but has so much fun with singing that part. Love the attitude and sass she brought there. The way she plays off and execute that “I'm gonna have my bite, sir!” does crack me up a bit… she’s so playful there. :haha: Then the way LaToya closes this performance where she sings:

Nobody, no, nobody

Is gonna rain on my parade!

Wow what an amazing closing! The way she held that long “parade” note for 12 seconds was incredible. :omg: Also remember when Latoya gave another flawless rendition of this song a week later after her disgusting robbery elimination? I just watched this version after not watching it in years, so I’ll link this here:

:wub:

Andrew

A stunning, flawless vocal.

Andy

This was amazing! She exuded confidence and charisma, which I personally don’t always get from LaToya. And of course this was a perfect vocal.

Elliott

LaToya's best and a true vocal masterclass, but as I've never really been a LaToya stan, it kind of lands here by default.

• Alex95 changed the title to American Idol Performances Mini Rankdown (Season 3 - 5-1 Posted)

I can't bring myself to be mad at my #1 losing when my #2 is right there winning and such a great winner... I really do love LaToya's performance (and her reprise), and ranking these #1 and #2 was so easy. But Summertime will always be the more important of the two performances 🤷‍♂️

• Like 3

Coming tomorrow, season four! This is your last call to signup, currently we're at 20! Anyone is welcome!

-Alex

-Victoria

-Chris

-Sola

-Steven

-Elliott

-Derek

-Diana

-Gigi

-Kevin

-Lily

-Amanda

-Andrew

-Tom

-Wally

-Priscilla

-Kaley

-Crisis

-Nico

-JC

LaToya’s “Somewhere” is absolutely flawless. :wub: I am sad this didn’t rank higher than it did as I was hoping for it, but #5 is still really great. ❤️ Those Tom and Elliott rankings though. 🙂

Jennifer’s “Circle of Life” simply amazing and very well done to this performance coming in at #4! Wow these breakdown in rankings is incredible - so many Top 5 rankings, 19 Top 8 rankings. :omg: I am soo not surprised that JC ranked it at #20 - at least it wasn’t a Fantasia performance. LMAOO Yesss @ Alex also mentioning Whatevia in his write-up (as I did). :lmao:

Fantasia’s “I Believe” coming in 3rd! ❤️ Wow lots of great rankings…. 17 Top 7 rankings is amazing. :omg: Kinda surprised seeing Amanda rank this so low with Sola and JC. I do agree with Elliot’s comments on no one performing an Idol coronation song with so much passion and conviction. And wow so many of us all call this the best winner’s single performance, and that’s because that is so true! lol Sola’s “made for her, so near the bottom!” comment…. 🙂

Fantasia’s “Summertime” not winning is absolutely heartbreaking but not surprising. :broken: I def knew this wasn’t going to win but for this to come in at #2 is still really amazing. And danggg wow 7 #1s here too. :omg: And 15 Top 3 rankings? Wowww. :omg: Ugh def not surprised and saw those low rankings coming from JC & Sola. :closedeyes: But amazing comments from everyone else.

As I called it in my winner prediction, I knew LaToya’s DROMP would win. If Summertime couldn’t win, i am glad this pulled off the win so i could be right in my prediction. :haha: This is an incredible performance. And not at all surprised with no Bottom 10 rankings for this one. LaToya does benefit from having no haters that Fantasia and Jennifer has so yeah figured this would win it out. A deserving winner. ❤️ And whoa is this the first performance in this game to receive no Bottom 10 rankings? :omg:

This was really an amazing list for this season to read through and see how it all broke down. :wub: Still so happy with this Top 5!