American Idol Performances Mini Rankdown (Season 20 - Round 3)

Alex95

• Replies 18.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• *Wallace

• Elliott

• Alex95

20. Dalton Rapattoni "Bird Set Free"

8Woipx1.png

14.7/20

Watch Here

@1234567890 - 3/20

@JORDAN_FAN - 4/20

@goofycilla90 - 6/20

@Steven_ - 8/20

@taylorkat - 9/20

@sublymonal - 11/20

@Zoey - 12/20

@jarmon - 13/20

@hayden98 - 13/20

@*Wallace - 15/20

@FrogLenzen - 18/20

@*Chris - 18/20

@*Diana - 18/20

@*Lily - 20/20

@NGM - 20/20

@Elliott - 20/20

@Solaris - 20/20

@*Amanda - 20/20

@totes4totes - 20/20

@Alex95 - 20/20

@Crisis - 20/20

Steven

I can't say I cared much for Dalton's Idol run, but I did like this performance and arrangement of "Bird Set Free." He poured his heart out and delivered a moving performance here, and it was his standout moment on the show.

Wally

RecentVapidEthiopianwolf-max-1mb.gif

I'm not really big on Dalton, but I did always really like/kinda loved his "Bird Set Free" performance. I am kinda glad that Victoria was able to convince Elliott to push this through, if we were to have 1 Dalton performance here, I was wanting it to be this one so yay.  Dalton sang the only Sia song I didn't really know but I thought he gave a very engaging and emotional performance. It was quite ~emo, actually. But that works for him. I thought he gave a very good vocal and I think of this as his best vocal (or one of them). I do love the chorus and how he sings that part, starting off with the "I don't care if I sing off-key," which I am sure many rankers will comment on there. I do like how he builds this up on the second verse and around the second chorus. Yeah some of his belting notes weren't perfect but it didn't matter to me here as he was reallly emotionally invested in the performance. It was truly moving and a great moment for him.

Derek

oh you’re here. sorry bud, I couldn’t even sit through this after listening to everything else beforehand

Sola

(D)alton tier

Megan

LOL I was really determined to have all of La'Porsha's songs in the bottom of my ranking but LOLOLOLOL a DALTON song made it through?!?!?!?

Alex

Probably his mouth authentic performance, but ugh I still cannot stay him. Every move he makes feels so calculated and so fake rocker. I would've been fine shutting him out lol. And since Wally's waiting for this comment......Dalton may not care if he sings off key but unfortunately for him I do 🙂

Crisis

Dalton’s best performance of the season. It was definitely his most emotional. With that said, him singing “I don’t care if I sing off-key” was apt because there were times he did that. It’s last here because it doesn’t measure up to the other performances on this list.

19. Avalon Young "Love Yourself"

essotaW.png

14.3/20

Watch Here

@totes4totes - 1/20

@Zoey - 4/20

@Elliott - 9/20

@sublymonal - 9/20

@jarmon - 12/20

@*Diana - 12/20

@taylorkat - 13/20

@*Lily - 14/20

@*Chris - 14/20

@Solaris - 14/20

@Alex95 - 15/20

@FrogLenzen - 16/20

@Crisis - 16/20

@NGM - 17/20

@1234567890 - 18/20

@JORDAN_FAN - 18/20

@*Amanda - 19/20

@*Wallace - 19/20

@goofycilla90 - 20/20

@Steven_ - 20/20

@hayden98 - 20/20

Megan

Wow Avalon sang this before she came out even to herself (as far as we know) and I remember listening and going "wow gay vibes and also she didn't NO HOMO it." In a world of American Idol where it seems like the average age of a song is at least 10 years, this was contemporary and it was cooler than had been on Idol in like years. It's not her best vocal but for me it was the one that stood out to me the most just for how big an impression it made on me when she sang it.

Alex

I'm happy for Megan this avoided last place :dead:. Definitely my least favorite of the Avalon performances here. I love Avalon's vibe and it's still really chill and well done, but just not a big standout moment.

Derek

This song has like... zero levels and therefore is a bad song for a singing competition. Also I feel like she didn't get the attitude of the song right, but I guess that's her artistic choice? To me this song should be way more derisive than she made it

Crisis

I really do not like this song (the same can be said for the artist), but Avalon did a really nice job with it. I liked the little things she did in it to make it sound more interesting because the song itself is on the boring side.

Wally

giphy.gif?cid=790b76110b7c6a44b384301f10

The awkward moment where I ranked this performance low where I was one half of advancing this. 🙈 Ugh I feel bad about that on my end. I know Megan has been playing these Idol games and mainly playing up until we get to Avalon. I didn't want to ruin that for her so I was fine with advancing this Avalon performance with her.

I do like Avalon and thought this was a good and solid first performance from her. This was a cool modern song choice that suited her well. She sang it well, had a cool groove and style to it. It was one of those ~solid good enough~ performances on the semi-finals that can advance you to the next round but she still could have done more and grow more with her future performances. It's not really an outstanding Top 20 worthy performance for me, but again.... I was fine with advancing this as Megan is really passionate about Avalon. So I hope this does well for Megan!

Steven

This was fine. The song itself just makes it hard to be impressed by this performance.

18. MacKenzie Bourg "Roses"

J7aPkqY.png

13.7/20

Watch Here

@goofycilla90 - 3/20

@JORDAN_FAN - 7/20

@1234567890 - 8/20

@FrogLenzen - 9/20

@Elliott - 10/20

@sublymonal - 10/20

@jarmon  11/20

@*Chris - 11/20

@Solaris - 11/20

@totes4totes - 12/20

@Zoey - 13/20

@hayden98 - 15/20

@*Amanda - 16/20

@*Wallace - 17/20

@*Lily - 18/20

@NGM - 19/20

@Steven_ - 19/20

@Alex95 - 19/20

@Crisis - 19/20

@*Diana - 20/20

@taylorkat - 20/20

Derek

When I see this boy I just see dollar signs. I'm surprised he hasn't blown up. If I was a record producer I would be elbowing bitches out of the way to get to him and get my payday. 

Megan

I thought this was going to be a cover of the Chainsmokers song and I'm really disappointed that it's actually an original song.

Wally

mackenzie-bourg.gif

"Roses" was a big moment for MacKenzie, as this performance was buzzed about a lot in the Hollywood stages, so it made sense for him to sing this for a Wildcard performance to get into the finals. It's a really solid performance from MacKenzie, but hmmmm I kinda feel like I missed the boat on this. I feel I should love this but I just like/really like it? I think more of the buzz comes from this being a really good original song that he connects and performs well. This is a heartfelt performance. He sounds good. The verses are nice but don't do too much for me. The chorus is really good and where the song really shines. I do love the "roses are read, roses are red" part, which is my favorite part. He closes this out nicely too.

Steven

It's not bad and kudos to him on writing his own song...but I just found this to be a bit boring.

Alex

So I pushed for him to have a performance in the end and relistening to it I'm now wondering why I did :dead:. It's not bad but it's just very unimaginative. Really basic. Mackenzie gives me Alex Preston vibes, but "Fairytales" eats "Roses" up for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Crisis

I wasn’t much of a MacKenzie fan, but his original song Roses was his best performance IMO. Then again, it’s an original, so it’s expected for him to be good.

17. Trent Harmon "Drink You Away"

kyADRIQ.png

12.9/20

Watch Here

@FrogLenzen - 5/20

@Elliott - 5/20

@Steven_ - 6/20

@sublymonal - 6/20

@*Diana - 8/20

@Zoey - 9/20

@totes4totes - 10/20

@Alex95 - 12/20

@hayden98 - 12/20

@NGM - 13/20

@*Wallace - 14/20

@goofycilla90 - 15/20

@JORDAN_FAN - 15/20

@*Lily - 16/20

@taylorkat - 16/20

@1234567890 - 17/20

@jarmon - 18/20

@*Amanda - 18/20

@Crisis - 18/20

@*Chris - 19/20

@Solaris - 19/20

Steven

"Sharp Dressed Man" should be here instead. I liked this performance, but it's my least favorite Trent performance in this Top 20. It was just a bit too rushed and frantic. I still like the performance well enough though. 

Alex

Lol you can always tell who just throws all of their fave's performances at the top of their ranking and calls it a day when something like "Drink You Away" makes their top six :dead:. Anyways, this was a good performance. I didn't expect to like it, but I found myself jamming out to it. Not particularly memorable, but Trent did what he had to do.

Wally

This is kinda funny because with this song "Drink You Away," I was never really that crazy about this song (originally done by Justin Timberlake), but I always really enjoyed Trent's version. I was cool with it surviving the petty cuts round but of course I 100% would have much rather have had "Sharp Dressed Man" in place of this performance. But this is a really good and solid performance from Trent that I feel is a bit of an overlooked performance. I do think the instrumental background kinda overpowered his vocals at the start of the first verse. But I do love the attitude that Trent puts into this performance. He's really believable in how he connected with the song and he delivers some great vocals here. I do really like how he sings the chorus. 

Then I also love how he sings that second verse really fast where he sings: don't they make a medicine for the heart break. That was so cool and slick! :omg:

I love how many layers that this performance has. It has a nice slow breakdown section where the band quiets it down and then Trent and the band slowly brings it up. He busts out an impressive high falsetto note and I love the rest of the vocal ad-libs he does towards the end. I agree with Jennifer that this performance was "singing to win." This is a really cool performance and shows off his artistry so well!

Crisis

I’m surprised this one made the finals while some of his better performances were cut. The arrangement was too busy and overpowered Trent’s vocals. Not one of his better ones.

Sola

not good

16. La'Porsha Renae "Halo"

9LjUYBz.png

12.8/20

Watch Here

@*Wallace - 4/20

@Alex95 - 7/20

@taylorkat - 7/20

@NGM - 9/20

@Solaris - 9/20

@goofycilla90 - 10/20

@hayden98 - 10/20

@Crisis - 11/20

@*Chris - 12/20

@jarmon - 14/20

@FrogLenzen - 14/20

@*Lily - 15/20

@Elliott - 15/20

@Steven_ - 15/20

@*Amanda - 15/20

@totes4totes - 15/20

@1234567890 - 16/20

@sublymonal - 16/20

@*Diana - 17/20

@Zoey - 18/20

@JORDAN_FAN - 20/20

Wally

ZfnH.gif

Ooooh phew, IDF.... you all had me worried and shook with a lot of you were voting "Halo" out on that final voting round. Of course, I am here for La'Porsha singing Beyonce and such a beautiful song like "Halo." :wub: This is really such a beautiful and gorgeous performance from La'Porsha. And of course one of my top favorites of hers too. :wub: I love how angelic and heavenly her voice is on this song. I really love the part where she sings: 

It's like I've been awakened
Every rule I had you breakin'
It's the risk that I'm takin'
I ain't never gonna shut you out

I love how La'Porsha sings on the chorus which is really gorgeous. I LOVE how she changes up the lyrics where she sings: Idol, I can feel your halloooo. I love how she starts off the pray you don't fade away part. She starts it off softly and then builds it up each time she sings that lyric and then delivers some powerful booming vocals there. That is such an iconic slayage build up there! :omg::clap:  I also love how she sings the "I can feel it! I can breathe it!" parts of the song..... which was so powerful and moving! :omg: Then the kiss blow at the end was the perfect finishing to this performance!

This is just another one of the many brilliant performances La'Porsha performed for us! :wub:

Alex

So confession time. I actually love "Halo" and I was kinda worried about it going home last round even though I voted against it 🙈. I wanted to get the ball rolling with anti-La'Porsha votes on "Halo" instead of something like "Proud Mary" because I feared "Proud Mary" had a better chance of leaving. It was a risk, but luckily it worked and the performance I wanted to see leave got eliminated anyway 🙂. Anyways, I think this performance is gorgeous. I think La'Porsha's arrangement is genius and she could just do no wrong.

Crisis

Took the song and completely flipped it on its head. La’Porsha did her thing with this song, and it’s a version I definitely prefer to the original. I was somewhat surprised this performance was targeted for elimination in the final round when Proud Mary was sitting right there if a La’Porsha performance was to be eliminated.

Derek

It goes without saying that she's amazing. But the arrangement is super questionable and went a half-step too high for her range.

Steven

I didn't really like the arrangement, but there's no doubt she's a talented vocalist.

Megan

I am just constantly astounded by how insane her voice is.

Edited by Alex95

• Alex95 changed the title to American Idol Performances Mini Rankdown (Season 15 - 20-16 Posted)
6 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

Alex

Lol you can always tell who just throws all of their fave's performances at the top of their ranking and calls it a day when something like "Drink You Away" makes their top six :dead:

Dealing With Others Trying To Deal With You GIF - Arrested Development  Jessica Walter Lucille Bluth - Discover & Share GIFs

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

- Yikes Dalton with all of those #20s. :dead: 8 out of 21 of them, I think. Not reallly surprised there. I'm not much of a fan but do think this performance deserved a little better than this. But eh, not too upset with it coming in last either. LMAO Alex's shout-out at my comment. I was expecting more of those off-key reference comments here. :haha: 

- Like Alex said, I'm happy that Avalon's LY avoided last place for Megan too. :haha: I do agree with most of the comments posted on this performance though. 

- Cool with MacKenzie's Roses coming in 18th. OMG LMAO Derek's comments got me cracking up here. :lmao: I would have been fine with this performance missing the Top 20 to have Stephany in there but the votes were not going like that, lol. lol Alex's change of heart in his comments. :lmao: 

- Trent's DYA showing up as his first performance is fine. Not totally surprised there. Well done to this making it to  17th with no Top 4 rankings. 

- Oh grosss at "Halo" showing up already.... and over a certain other La'Porsha performance I wasn't crazy about (and another one too). OMGG LOL Alex's strategic comments!  :dead: LMAOOO wow, I admire and stan that kind of game play here. :lmao: Lol I would have been okay if Proud Mary was the target instead but..... yeah that would have likely gone. But this is gorgeous and fantastic.... and booo at it showing up already. 

44 minutes ago, FrogLenzen said:

Dealing With Others Trying To Deal With You GIF - Arrested Development  Jessica Walter Lucille Bluth - Discover & Share GIFs

Oooh lmao you do that? I never noticed that you do. But I notice some rankers doing that. :lmao: It always cracks me up though. :haha: 

27 minutes ago, jarmon said:

LMAO my 11,12,13,14 & 18 got knocked out....well at least my Top 10 still in tact :dead:

I was going to say that.... until "Halo" showed up. 😢 :dead: 

1 hour ago, NGM said:

the 20s collection for Dalton is killing me:dead:

And yet I feel like it's one of the higher rankings for a 20th spot. :rofl:

EDIT: I just checked and Dalton's 14.7 puts him close to Lisa's I Am Changing (14.2).

Edited by Elliott

29 minutes ago, Elliott said:

Meh, I actually loved Drink You Away, I'm not a fan of Dalton & Mackenzie, and I wasn't going to give high rankings to La'Porsha after the SDM cut. 🤷‍♂️

Why take the SDM cut on La'Porsha when Priscilla isn't even a La'Porsha stan? :dead: 

15. Trent Harmon "Stand By Me"

AoVptSs.png

12.5/20

Watch Here

@*Diana - 4/20

@sublymonal - 4/20

@Steven_ - 5/20

@Elliott - 6/20

@Zoey - 7/20

@FrogLenzen - 8/20

@*Chris - 10/20

@*Wallace - 11/20

@totes4totes - 11/20

@Crisis - 12/20

@Alex95 - 13/20

@NGM - 14/20

@*Amanda - 14/20

@Solaris - 16/20

@*Lily - 17/20

@jarmon - 17/20

@goofycilla90 - 18/20

@taylorkat - 18/20

@1234567890 - 19/20

@JORDAN_FAN - 19/20

@hayden98 - 19/20

Steven

Great performance from Trent. He was in-the-pocket and delivered strong vocals too.

Derek

lol I hate this song but it gives him lots of room to play around vocally so I guess I get it.

Wally

Trent's "Stand By Me" is a performance that I am kinda surprised that slipped through the cracks and didn't get cut on the petty cuts round. But this was one of the Trent performances I was pulling for after "Sharp Dressed Man" got cut so I am glad that this made it through. Although I probably would have preferred "Like I Can" or "When a Man Loves a Woman" making it over this one as well? I thought Trent delivered a really strong and great vocal performance here. I do love this song and love how he made it his own. He starts the song off softly but I do enjoy how he slowly brings the song up as the performance progresses. I do love where he throws in a little of his falsetto in where he sings the "I won't cry, I won't cry. I won't shed a little tear" part. Then I also love all of the falsetto notes and vocal ad-libs he does towards the end!  Lol the way he ended this with that pose kinda makes me laugh a bit. :giggle: Overall, this is a great performance from Trent, BUTTT I did expect this to be a little stronger and more of a standout performance from him. 🙈 I dropped it a few spots than where I originally had it. But I do still love it.

Megan

Everything about this should work perfectly, but unfortunately for me there's just something missing. I think actually maybe there's something too much and that's Clark's weird faces he makes while performing.

Crisis

A solid number from Trent. He did some interesting things with the song from the arrangement to some vocal liberties. Trent always had some weird facial expressions while singing, but it may have been at the worst here, or at least one of them.

Alex

Idk about this song for a singing competition, but I suppose it was fine.

14. La'Porsha Renae "Proud Mary"

0491HRw.png

12.4/20

Watch Here

@jarmon - 5/20

@*Diana - 6/20

@taylorkat - 6/20

@JORDAN_FAN - 9/20

@Alex95 - 9/20

@*Lily - 10/20

@FrogLenzen - 11/20

@Steven_ - 12/20

@*Wallace - 12/20

@1234567890 - 13/20

@Elliott - 13/20

@*Amanda - 13/20

@totes4totes - 14/20

@sublymonal - 14/20

@NGM - 15/20

@Zoey - 15/20

@Solaris - 15/20

@Crisis - 15/20

@goofycilla90 - 16/20

@hayden98 - 17/20

@*Chris - 20/20

Alex

"Proud Mary" is one of those songs the Diva of the Year could sing every single season and I'd never get tired of it. Truly a song that doesn't age. La'Porsha showed a lot of stage presence and personality with this performance and, as per usual, delivered a killer vocal.

Derek

LMAO at the "you know" in the beginning out of nowhere. this is iconic, I would have dropped out if I was competing

Steven

Terrific performance from La'Porsha. This was a great start to her Idol run.

Wally

giphy.gif

La'Porsha's first performance on the competitive/semi-finals portion of the competition! :wub: I'm not positive but I feel like "Proud Mary" might have been her first time performing an uptempo song on the show. I can't totally remember. I do love how she starts off the song slowly and softly with a lot of sass and attitude. She commands your attention on the slow parts, but she commands your attention even more on the faster part. She gave such a strong and fantastic throughout the performance. But what I do love most about this performance is how she works the stage and showcases so much personality, fun and pizazz on this performance! :omg: It was a brand new side of her! This was honestly a performance I remember really liking but never considered it a favorite of mine. But after rewatching this, I think I may have overlooked and underrated this as this was better than I remembered.

Megan

It's a real shame that shortly after the season La'Porsha had to become a reformed former bisexual because she's so insanely talented. From the get go she's magnetic to watch and her performance is so strong. It's hard to do "Proud Mary" well and doubly so when you are doing it live. It's a song with a lot of levels and a lot of different energies. She looks great. It's a real shame about the homophobia which has made it hard for me to divorce La'Porsha's performances from her beliefs.

Crisis

Proud Mary was the beginning of La’Porsha’s runner-up American Idol journey. While the performance itself was solid, I felt La’Porsha came across too much as a Tina impersonator and didn’t add anything original to it. With that said, it’s still better than most of the best of other contestants that season.

13. La'Porsha Renae "A House Is Not A Home"

SteQ8tb.png

12.4/20

Watch Here

@*Diana - 2/20

@taylorkat - 5/20

@*Lily - 6/20

@jarmon - 7/20

@goofycilla90 - 8/20

@NGM - 10/20

@Crisis - 10/20

@*Amanda - 12/20

@FrogLenzen - 13/20

@*Chris - 13/20

@Solaris - 13/20

@Elliott - 14/20

@Steven_ - 14/20

@1234567890 - 15/20

@sublymonal - 15/20

@Alex95 - 16/20

@Zoey - 17/20

@JORDAN_FAN - 17/20

@totes4totes - 17/20

@*Wallace - 18/20

@hayden98 - 18/20

Crisis

While not as strong as Tamyra’s or Jacob’s, La’Porsha’s rendition of A House Is Not A Home was a solid performance in its own right. She came out and gave a really nice vocal and her emotional connection was on point.

Derek

Can you believe she was 22 years old during this season?? this was fine

Steven

Lovely showing from La'Porsha. Maybe it's unfair, but I was thinking how much I prefer Tamyra's performance while watching this performance. But La'Porsha still did a good job.

Alex

I was pretty flabbergasted to see this performance in the end. Obviously La'Porsha did a great job, as she always does, but idk there was some bit of magic that was just missing from this performance. I too couldn't help but compare it to Tamyra unfortunately for La'Porsha.

Wally

I don't know what it is but I have a hard time really loving and connecting to most finale night performances - there are a few exceptions but yeah. Even with an amazing Final 2 in Trent and La'Porsha. This is an objectively great performance from La'Porsha but it's not one I really remember or go back that often from her run. She sang this song beautifully and brought great emotion to the song.  This is kind of a more understated and softer performance from her, for at least a good two thirds of it. That was all really lovely but I do love it where she starts building this up and belting it out. ❤️ After rewatching this, I do have a new appreciation for this but it's not one of my main favorites from her.

12. Avalon Young "Yo (Excuse Me Miss)"

Uz22gaN.png

12.0/20

Watch Here

@totes4totes - 3/20

@Zoey - 6/20

@FrogLenzen - 6/20

@*Lily - 7/20

@Elliott - 8/20

@JORDAN_FAN - 8/20

@sublymonal - 8/20

@hayden98 - 9/20

@Solaris - 10/20

@Alex95 - 11/20

@taylorkat - 12/20

@*Wallace - 13/20

@Crisis - 13/20

@1234567890 - 14/20

@NGM - 16/20

@*Chris - 17/20

@Steven_ - 17/20

@*Amanda - 17/20

@*Diana - 19/20

@goofycilla90 - 19/20

@jarmon - 20/20

Megan

Third because of CB.

Derek

great choice of song, great arrangement, solid vocal, great performance.

Alex

I love that Avalon just stuck with the pronouns of the song, it made the performance feel so much more natural (and gay). Definitely one of Avalon's best, I love it!

Wally

Avalon had a really good moment performing "Yo (Excuse Me Miss)"on the earlier rounds of the competition, but I did enjoy this version even more. This was a very cool, slick and funky performance from Avalon. I do like how she had a bit of a Jazzier arrangement here too. She sang the song well and just performed it in such a comfortable and natural way. She has such effortless swag to her. I do like that little falsetto note where she sang "for yyooouuuuuu." She showed off more vocal range towards the end too, which I wanted more from her "Love Yourself" performance. Overall, I really enjoyed this performance from Avalon and it's my 2nd favorite performance of hers.

Crisis

Being a Chris Brown song notwithstanding, this was one of Avalon’s best showings of the season. Her confidence and stage presence were solid, and she was on point vocally. My second favorite performance of hers overall.

Steven

Avalon seemed comfortable on stage and was in the groove of the song. This was all right.

11. Sonika Vaid "Safe & Sound"

pnWjMGl.png

11.4/20

Watch Here

@Zoey - 2/20

@*Amanda - 2/20

@jarmon - 3/20

@*Diana - 3/20

@JORDAN_FAN - 3/20

@taylorkat - 4/20

@totes4totes - 5/20

@hayden98 - 11/20

@*Lily - 12/20

@Elliott - 12/20

@sublymonal - 12/20

@Alex95 - 14/20

@*Chris - 15/20

@*Wallace - 16/20

@FrogLenzen - 17/20

@goofycilla90 - 17/20

@Crisis - 17/20

@NGM - 18/20

@Steven_ - 18/20

@Solaris - 18/20

@1234567890 - 20/20

Megan

I actually forgot how much I liked Sonika until re-listening to this. It's no Taylor Swift + The Civil Wars but despite being like the fancy hotel lounge version of the song it's still good.

Alex

I actually like this performance more and more the more I listen to it. Sonika isn't one of my favorites, the two performance of hers in the end are easily her standouts. Sonika has such a lovely voice and she sounds great here.

Wally

giphy.gif?cid=790b76111d7c47bbb36cd23b52

"Safe & Sound" is a really pretty and lovely performance from Sonika. I do really like this, although I would have preferred "I Surrender" here over this one as I do really love the latter. I nearly advanced it both rounds but it never worked out. But this is still one of favorites from Sonika (Top 4 or so from her), nonetheless. Her tone/voice in general kinda reminds me of Ariana Grande, and it does so here. She has this lovely breathy tone here. She starts the song off softly and pretty but puts in some nice belting moments, for the build-up. All in all, I do think this is lovely.

Derek

Weird song choice for a singing competition. I think she needs to find songs where she uses her full voice more.

Crisis

From a pure vocal standpoint, this was one of Sonika’s better performances. She showcased great control and pitch. However, I would probably have “I Surrender” in the finals over this one if there is to be an extra Sonika performance.

Steven

This was a pretty performance, but I don't think it was particularly memorable.

Sola

T-swift, nty

Edited by Alex95

• Alex95 changed the title to American Idol Performances Mini Rankdown (Season 15 - 15-11 Posted)
12 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

Megan

I don't know what it is but I have a hard time really loving and connecting to most finale night performances - there are a few exceptions but yeah. Even with an amazing Final 2 in Trent and La'Porsha. This is an objectively great performance from La'Porsha but it's not one I really remember or go back that often from her run. She sang this song beautifully and brought great emotion to the song.  This is kind of a more understated and softer performance from her, for at least a good two thirds of it. That was all really lovely but I do love it where she starts building this up and belting it out. ❤️ After rewatching this, I do have a new appreciation for this but it's not one of my main favorites from her.

Lol pretty sure this is NOT me

• Haha 1

- Hmmm Fine with Trent's SBM showing up at 15th although I would have preferred it being a little higher. I do agree with a lot of the comments posted on this performance.

- Also fine with La'Porsha's PM showing up at 14th too. This was better than I remembered it being, but she still had stronger standouts.

- Oooh okay, now AHINAH was the La'Porsha performance I was hoping for to show up on this set. I would have preferred this up before her other performances posted though. Agreed with Crisis' comment here. And yeah.... it's tough for this performance when we have Tamyra's iconic version from years ago. Although @Alex95 you got Megan listed for my comments here. :dead: I was thinking "wow those Megan comments look awfully familiar." :haha:

- Fair and good spot for Avalon's Yo coming in at 12th. This is my 2nd favorite from her so I'm glad it showed up second here.

- I'm cool with Sonika's S&S just missing out of the Top 10 and coming in at 11th. This was really good and solid from her. I was also hoping for this to be her lower ranked performance of her 2, so yay for that there. :haha: Yesss @ Crisis also mentioning preferring to have "I Surrender" here as well. :haha:

4 minutes ago, totes4totes said:

Lol pretty sure this is NOT me

2 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

lol oops fixed that’s Wally

Lmaooo you two beat me to it, because yeah I was gonna say that was me. :haha: 

Looking back at my rankings, I got my #1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and...... 20 alll remaining. LMAO I am doing reallly well for the most part even though that #20 stands out like a sore thumb. :dead: And that #20 isn't even a tanking, just a performance I never really cared that much for. Hopefully that shows up in the next set.  :haha: 

But reallly this is a strong and amazing Top 10 all around. I can't believe how well this has gone for me outside of "Halo."

• Alex95 changed the title to American Idol Performances Mini Rankdown (Season 20 - Round 3)