American Idol Performances Mini Rankdown

Alex95

52 minutes ago, Weedy_Speedy said:

Well season 11 was actually great and deserved to have a bunch of episodes to showcase that field of talent although it should've been shelved once Colton/Elise/Skylar left and Hollie was still there.

S13 thought we wanted to hear...everyone on that cast for 14 weeks. :closedeyes: 

S13 at least kept is easy on the endless duos and trios that S11 was filled with :/

10 hours ago, Elliott said:

lol I actually looked and it’s not quite that extreme:
Season 13 ran for 39 episodes (seriously wtf)

Season 16 had 19 episodes, Season 17 had 18 episodes, Season 18 had 16 episodes (that includes two episodes due to COVID; 14 otherwise), and Season 19 had 19 episodes.

So S13 still ran longer than any combination of two ABC seasons. :rofl:

Though despite our shade about S13, S11 actually has the most episodes with 40. :haha:

Oh lmao, wow. This is all so insane. :dead: Thanks for all this info.

20. Jacob Lusk "Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word"

YsanytR.png

15.2/20

Watch Here

@rdhaley96 - 8/20

@taylorkat - 8/20

@FrogLenzen - 8/20

@JC - 9/20

@Elliott - 12/20

@sublymonal - 12/20

@QueenKalie - 14/20

@Weedy_Speedy - 14/20

@*Diana - 15/20

@Alex95 - 15/20

@goofycilla90 - 16/20

@totes4totes - 16/20

@*Amanda - 17/20

@jarmon - 17/20

@Zoey - 17/20

@Steven_ - 17/20

@NGM - 18/20

@Solaris - 18/20

@*Wallace - 18/20

@*Lily - 18/20

@hayden98 - 18/20

@JORDAN_FAN - 18/20

@1234567890 - 18/20

@*Chris - 19/20

@Crisis - 20/20

Richard

I didn’t really remember this performance from Jacob, but watching it back, he definitely impressed me. I don’t think it was necessarily a perfect vocal, but he delivered it with such drama and conviction that I didn’t really care. Definitely among Jacob’s best performances from the show.

Derek

lost steam halfway through, last note started great and then he held on too long. I hate a lot of the songs in the finals here

JC

DDDDiva!

Elliott

Not really a fan of this song, but Jacob did decently with it. If he had to had two performances here, I would've put his semi-finals one over this one. BUT ALSO THE LACK OF NAIMA ADEDAPO IS INSULTING.

Kevin

I like Jacob, but lol this is a performance you all chose for him? Ya'll must have decided you needed something from Jacob for an easy last place. :haha:

Alex

Considering this pretty much landed in the finals by accident, I'm not surprised at all to see it flop. Very underwhelming first half and very sloppy second half. Pretty much like Jacob's run on the show.

Akshar

At first, I was a little iffy with this making the Top 20 but it’s actually not a bad performance at all. His voice is very soulful and I did enjoy this performance.

Steven

This wasn't a bad performance, but Jacob's voice just isn't my cup of tea. There's something about his diction I don't care for. He wouldn't be someone I would voluntarily listen to sing.

Sola

Pass

Wally

Is Jacob's "Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word" THE luckiest performance to ever make the finals? It's not a bad performance by any means but I am shook this got into the Final 20. All through the luck of Randomizer putting it in Round 6. Then the vote against one performance where it was against the polarizing Paul MacDonald and we didn't have to vote FOR this performance to get in the finals. This performance is iconic getting in here just for that. :dead:

With all that said, I really like Jacob and do like this performance but it's not one of my very top faves from him, hence me placing it 19th. Jacob starts off singing this song beautifully. I do like the emotion and passion he pours into the song. It's nice how restraint he was at the start. He really does sing it straight from his heart. Although maybe he's getting TOO into the performance with some of those facial expressions. But sang it, Jacob! And dang he really held it with that long note at the end there. :omg: Okay, this performance was much better than I remembered....so I moved it up a few more spots.

Lily

The arrangement saved this moreso for me. It felt almost quite intense? Like a Bond song or something. When this song kinda makes me snooze usually. I feel like he could have gone even bigger but nice enough.

Crisis

Jacob isn’t one of my S10 favorites, but I did enjoy two performances of his. Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word, however, is not one of them. It’s not a bad performance (he’s had far worse than this), but it’s not one I would have in my S10 Top 20. I’d rather have A House Is Not A Home in the finals over this.

19. Stefano Langone "I Need You Now"

UBjejSY.png

13.1/20

Watch Here

@JC - 4/20

@*Wallace - 5/20

@FrogLenzen - 6/20

@*Lily - 7/20

@Solaris - 8/20

@sublymonal - 9/20

@Zoey - 10/20

@QueenKalie - 11/20

@*Diana - 11/20

@hayden98 - 11/20

@totes4totes - 11/20

@Weedy_Speedy - 12/20

@Steven_ - 12/20

@rdhaley96 - 13/20

@Crisis - 14/20

@Elliott - 15/20

@*Chris - 16/20

@Alex95 - 16/20

@jarmon - 18/20

@goofycilla90 - 19/20

@*Amanda - 19/20

@taylorkat - 19/20

@NGM - 20/20

@JORDAN_FAN - 20/20

@1234567890 - 20/20

JC

KING I LOVE HIM SO MUCH! Hot and gorgeous voice UNF UNF UNF :wub:

Wally

I know people may come at me for advancing this performance from Stefano... But I don't care. 😘 I really loved "I Need You Now" and this is honestly one of my favorite performances of the season. This is also my favorite Stefano performance, and I was hoping for this could get into the finals and being paired by myself was probably the only way that could happen. :haha: I did enjoy Stefano's previous performance and was bummed he didn't get enough votes to make it through. But he really proved his worth and that he deserved to make the finals with this performance. I just love how much Stefano connected to this song, and how he pored so much passion and emotion into this performance. The pre-chorus, kinda reminds me of "A Song for You." I love how he builds up the song from the first verse to that part of the song. He delivered some really strong and powerful vocals. I also really love how he belts out those "I need you now" parts of the song. And wow that huge "now" note he belted out was really impressive. :omg: This was such a moving performance that gave me serious chills! He 100% deserved his spot in the finals after this,

I also want to shout out "If You Don't Know Me By Now" and "End of the Road" as I really love those performances from Stefano, and those would be in my personal Top 20 as well. Even though I knew they stood no chance making it here. I know this performance won't rank high, and will likely show up on the first set. Hopefully it doesn't come in last, but I'll be prepared if it does.

Derek

didn't love the faces he made but this was actually good.

Lily

I don't remember a lot else of what Stefano did but this was brilliant, he sang with all the emotion and fight in him.

Kevin

Good for his low bar I guess. I still can't stand him.

Steven

I wasn't much of a Stefano fan throughout his time on the show, but I give credit to him here. He understood the task before him and actually sang for his life. He poured his heart out while delivering some impressive notes. He earned that wildcard spot with this performance.

Richard

I found this performance from Stefano intriguing. I’m not familiar with the song, so I don’t have a reference point for comparison, but I did find the pacing a bit strange. Regardless, I was captivated the whole way through, and he definitely gave his all vocally. Overall, kind of an odd duck of a performance, but in a good way.

Crisis

Stefano was my least favorite S10 contestant. I didn’t care for his phrasing or mannerisms and thus, it was hard for me to enjoy his performances. However, I Need You Now was easily his best. It was the only time it felt he truly connected to a song and he sang his face off here although he had his usual cheesy facial expressions and body language. Based on that, he definitely earned his spot in the finals. Now he can roll out of this ranking.

Elliott

"my ex wants 😘 tonight" "I'm sorry, what does your ex want?"

Alex

Stefano sucks and I look forward to never thinking about him again. The bar is literally in hell if this is considered a top 20 performance of the season.

Akshar

I definitely could feel the passion in this performance but it just isn’t as memorable of a performance to me.

18. Lauren Alaina "Like My Mother Does"

uSArGtG.png

12.9/20

Watch Here

@QueenKalie - 4/20

@JORDAN_FAN - 4/20

@taylorkat - 4/20

@goofycilla90 - 6/20

@1234567890 - 7/20

@*Chris - 8/20

@Zoey - 8/20

@Solaris - 9/20

@Weedy_Speedy - 11/20

@jarmon - 11/20

@*Amanda - 12/20

@*Wallace - 12/20

@*Diana - 13/20

@FrogLenzen - 13/20

@JC - 15/20

@hayden98 - 16/20

@rdhaley96 - 17/20

@Elliott - 18/20

@Steven_ - 18/20

@totes4totes - 18/20

@NGM - 19/20

@Crisis - 19/20

@*Lily - 20/20

@sublymonal - 20/20

@Alex95 - 20/20

Kevin

I don't care.

Akshar

Not me getting teary-eyed when Lauren goes to her mother. What a touching moment, what a touching song. Just such a beautiful performance all round.

Wally

Lauren's "Like My Mother Does" is a performance I am really surprised and didn't see making it to the finals. I'm kinda mixed I that as there were a few coronation singles I wish had made the finals but didn't (namely Jordin's This Is My Now), but the again, I do love this performance from Lauren and consider it one of my faves from her. Probably a 4th or 5th favorite from her? Sure you could say the song is on the cheesy side but I really don't think it is - or at least Lauren didn't make it that way unlike Scotty with his winner's song. Lauren sang this song beautifully and really poured so much passion and emotion into this. You could tell she truly connected to this song, and she could relate to it with how close she is to her mother! On a pure vocal note, I don't think she hit her high/big notes as perfectly as she could have, but I believe she had laryngitis or had some health issue where she was sick? But she still gave it her all, and actually I felt the grit and rawness in her vocals added more character to this performance. I also loved the part where she sang right to her mother. What a special moment for them both!

Derek

Remember that time when Lauren got sick and they almost put Haley in the finale at the last minute?? That would have be wild. Also, remember that time when Lauren was 15???? Anyway, this is not a disaster but it has no business being in the Top 20.

JC

I just don't care. You dye your hair like your mother, so what?

Richard

While vocally, this performance was just okay, I really enjoyed the heartwarming aspect of it. It’s clear the song meant a lot to Lauren, and in that respect, she sold the song really well.

Elliott

lol.

Steven

LOL remember how the producers try to combat the Kristy Lee Cook prophecy by giving Lauren a Kristy Lee Cook song? Joking aside, I didn't care for this performance. Lauren's voice just isn't strong enough to reach those high notes she goes for. 

Crisis

Lauren wouldn’t have a single performance in my Top 20 let alone four. Top 30 maybe, but even that’s a stretch. This is my least favorite of her four performances in the finals. There was a nice moment in which she hugged her mother towards the end; other than that, I don’t have much to say.

Lily

Lol her poor mom getting called up on live TV with the Karen haircut. Very sweet performance, but objectively speaking probably has to end up at the bottom of my list.

Alex

This is one of the worst songs I have ever heard in my life. This ranking isn't necessarily about the quality of the performance (which btw, was extremely mediocre). But the song is just so bad I couldn't even attempt to enjoy it. Easily the worst song to ever make a finals in this game.

17. Casey Abrams "I Put A Spell On You"

raGkoIk.png

12.6/20

Watch Here

@totes4totes - 4/20

@Crisis - 5/20

@FrogLenzen - 5/20

@Alex95 - 6/20

@Weedy_Speedy - 7/20

@JC - 7/20

@Elliott - 10/20

@sublymonal - 10/20

@goofycilla90 - 12/20

@QueenKalie - 12/20

@1234567890 - 12/20

@*Wallace - 13/20

@*Chris - 13/20

@NGM - 14/20

@Solaris - 14/20

@*Lily - 14/20

@hayden98 - 14/20

@jarmon - 15/20

@Steven_ - 16/20

@taylorkat - 17/20

@Zoey - 18/20

@*Diana - 19/20

@JORDAN_FAN - 19/20

@rdhaley96 - 20/20

@*Amanda - 20/20

Crisis

Casey was an interesting contestant from a musical standpoint. Throughout Hollywood he showed some jazz and blues chops. However, he showed a different side with I Put A Spell On You. Casey was criticized for his growling and screaming and he would overdo it later in the season; however, I felt they fit perfectly in this song, for it added to the song’s normal intense nature. It’s one of the better performances of the season and a great way to close the men’s semifinal round.

Derek

this gets a little silly at times but Casey was way way way more exciting as a musician and performer and vocalist than Idol usually gets. And of course, the last note is just money. Glad this made it.

Alex

I think this performance is the epitome of Casey. Yeah it's a bit messy at times, but it's really exciting and fresh. Casey brought something different to the Idol stage and he was easily the most intersting guy of the season.

Kevin

It was ok.

JC

Legit do not care.

Elliott

Fantastic performance.

Wally

Casey was such an interesting contestant for me, as I would go through not caring for him, to liking him and all in between through the course of his run. However, I thought this performance was a highlight and one of his best ones. I do like his softer performances, such as "Your Song" being my favor the from Casey, but this is probably my 2nd or 3rd fave from him. This was a great song choice for him where he really poured so much heart, soul, character and passion into this. Actually, he put the stank on this (I mean that in a positive way). I love the attitude he has while singing this. It's so humorous and entertaining. OMGG he goes insane with those belting vocals and screams....it kills me! :dead: It's A LOT and I shouldn't like it....but I don't mind it and think it's all kinda genius. But with all that crazy growling he does,,the way he ends it with the soft "you're mine".... Absolutely kills me. :dead:

Lily

Watching the performance was offputting to me. I can't explain it. The vocal was pretty great though. Clearly this was very much in his wheelhouse.

Akshar

I actually thought his version of it was actually good. I do prefer hearing females sing this song but he did a great job and got the essence of the song across.

Steven

I'd rather have seen "Your Song" here if only one Casey performance made it to the end. "I Put A Spell On You" was pretty good, although a bit much. Some more nuance would've been nice instead of just Casey going over-the-top. But it's not a bad performance. It's just not one of my favorites here.

Richard

This was… definitely something. I’m not sure how to feel about it. On the one hand, Casey is definitely a capable vocalist, and I liked that he gave the performance character. On the other hand, it just all came over as very bizarre, especially with the many pauses he took throughout. Having said that, I love how he ended it. I feel like that was the one attempt at character that really worked for me. Overall, it was an interesting performance, but I can’t say I loved it.

16. Kendra Chantelle "Georgia On My Mind"

v02zClN.png

12.5/20

Watch Here

@sublymonal - 4/20

@*Lily - 5/20

@totes4totes - 5/20

@JC - 6/20

@Zoey - 6/20

@NGM - 7/20

@FrogLenzen - 7/20

@QueenKalie - 8/20

@Elliott - 8/20

@JORDAN_FAN - 10/20

@*Amanda - 11/20

@goofycilla90 - 13/20

@Alex95 - 13/20

@Steven_ - 13/20

@jarmon - 14/20

@Crisis - 15/20

@Solaris - 15/20

@1234567890 - 16/20

@*Diana - 18/20

@rdhaley96 - 19/20

@hayden98 - 19/20

@Weedy_Speedy - 20/20

@*Wallace - 20/20

@*Chris - 20/20

@taylorkat - 20/20

Lily

Umm ok this is gorgeous? And she didn't get through? Damn I would have loved to see what else she would have done. Great job.

JC

Legit do not care.

Derek

I was so bummed when she was cut after this. The tone is a little thin in the high register and the last run was unnecessary... but this was everything she needed to do in this moment and they still passed on her. Probably my favorite semi-finalist. I think she could have been an exciting contestant.

Elliott

Kendra should've made the Top 13, thanks for coming to my Ted Talk. 😘

Alex

Though I think Kendra relied a bit too much on tricks and the opening verse was a bit rough, she is clearly very talented and has so much skill. This performance absolutely made her a deserving choice for top 13 and it's a shame we missed out because I think she could've been someone special (or she would've been picked off ASAP like 5/7 of the girls this season ughhhhhhhh)

Steven

This was a good performance from Kendra, but I still surprised it made it to the Top 20 here. Perhaps people here still believe she was robbed of a Top 13 spot? Kendra did show potential, and she had some good moments in this performance. I actually wouldn't have minded if the judges did put her through to the Top 13.

Akshar

I have to say she has such an interesting tone. It has some depth to it and I felt she delivered a pretty nice performance. Those ending notes were impressive.

Crisis

I wasn’t big on Kendra during the season and didn’t care much for Georgia On My Mind. I didn’t think this performance was as great as it was made out to be. I thought she did too much with her upper register in the end; she would’ve been better off if she didn’t go as high. Having said that, I would’ve had her in the finals over Ashthon. Frankly, I was more disappointed Lauren Turner didn’t get to sing for a WC spot. Speaking of whom, I’d rather have Seven Day Fool in the finals over this if a semi-finalist were to be here.

Richard

There’s no denying that Kendra is technically a great singer. This was definitely a strong performance, but it didn’t quite captivate me as much as it could have. It almost came across a bit too effortless; I would have liked to see her dig a little deeper and give it some grit. I think that’s what was lacking, ultimately. Her voice just doesn’t have as much fullness to it, despite her range being insane.

Kevin

F*cking terrible and the only reason people like this/her is because this is IDF and she's a pretty blonde woman. #ChangeMyMind

Wally

This was a pretty good performance from Kendra, but I also kinda found this and her overrated as a whole. :ph34rwave: And of course when I was pro semi-finalists for the earlier seasons, none would make the finals. And now that I don't really care for most of the latter seasons semi finalists (sans Katelyn and a few others), they make the finals easier now. :dead: Anyway, a good performance from Kendra. I didn't really like the start with her lower register as it was hard to make out what she was singing. She did build it up better as the performance progressed but I'm just not personally that crazy about this. I was fine with her going after this as I preferred Ashthon/Naima/Stefano more and wanted them in the finals more than Kendra.

Edited by Alex95
  • Like 1

• Alex95 changed the title to American Idol Performances Mini Rankdown (Season 10 - 20-16 Posted)

Lowkey I think Kendra's performance of Georgia On My Mind was brought down in the judges' eyes because they probably heard it sung 5 billion times during Hollywood week. Casey's Georgia On My Mind from this season is probably my favorite Hollywood performance ever????