American Idol Performances Mini Rankdown

Alex95

1 hour ago, Elliott said:

2 Jessica performances in the bottom five and zero Phillip performances, I’m glad IDF is finally coming to their senses :wub::wub:

I didn't expect IDF to stan mediocrity now, but I guess things change. :(💔

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, *Wallace said:

I didn't expect IDF to stan mediocrity now, but I guess things change. :(💔

You didn't? I totally expected IDF to stan mediocrity IDF has been doing it for years shouldn't expect things to change now. 

Edited by QueenKalie

15. Erika Van Pelt "New York State Of Mind"

Dzd2pd0.png

11.7/20

Watch Here

@Weedy_Speedy - 4/20

@Crisis - 4/20

@*Diana - 5/20

@Elliott - 6/20

@sublymonal - 6/20

@totes4totes - 7/20

@jarmon - 8/20

@Alex95 - 8/20

@Zoey - 9/20

@NGM - 9/20

@Steven_ - 10/20

@taylorkat - 11/20

@Solaris - 12/20

@FrogLenzen - 12/20

@#jeah - 13/20

@*Lily - 13/20

@hayden98 - 14/20

@*Chris - 15/20

@goofycilla90 - 15/20

@JC - 15/20

@rdhaley96 - 16/20

@*Amanda - 18/20

@*Wallace - 18/20

@QueenKalie - 18/20

@1234567890 - 18/20

@JORDAN_FAN - 20/20

Kevin

Still not over her getting eliminated after this masterpiece, and no I don't care that it was nearly ten years ago either. Robbed goddess who discovered the secret to aging backwards. :wub::wub::wub:

Crisis

While I’m still bummed Edge Of Glory missed out on the finals, I’m happy New York State Of Mind made it as it’s my second favorite Erika performance. Armed with a new hairstyle which made her look like Kris Jenner, she came out and gave a strong and classy performance of the Billy Joel classic. I thought it was the second best performance that week, and I was very disappointed she was eliminated the night after. I think Erika is one of the more underappreciated Idol contestants.

Elliott

The fact that she was eliminated after this while HeeJun was still in the competition... ladies my blood is boiling.

Alex

It was so nice to see someone so mature on this show and just know who she is and what she can and cannot do. The Elise & Erika duo is one of my Idol faves. Erika deserved way better on the show and I'm glad she has some appreciation here. This is a great performance.

Steven

I was unsure how high I would rank Erika's "New York State Of Mind," but it lands a spot in my Top 10 after a re-watch. She delivered sublime vocals and sang with such ease too. It was a lovely performance, and I'm glad the Erika fans got this into our Top 20.

Derek

legit started cracking up when she went up an octave on the last note loooooooool such an idol cliche

Andy

This is great! I liked Erika a lot but she doesn’t really have much star power lol what is that Can I Speak With a Manager hair she’s got going on? Girl’s about to yell at someone for asking her to put on her mask

Lily

I was just thinking about how I hated the haircut. Then read this on her Wiki page - "Van Pelt was eliminated on March 22, 2012, after cutting her usually shoulder length locks to a pixie cut, courtesy of Tommy Hilfiger.". This is worded to suggest that the haircut literally got her eliminated ANTM-makeover style and I'm not mad at it. Anyway, the performance was really nice, I liked the vocal, and she should not have gone home for it.

Chris

In term of Erika, this performance was great. But as a rendition of this great song, her version never really stood out for me - I am still very much in love with KLocke's version and this one does not measure up. 

JC

honestly i forgot she made top 10 lol. love this song, she did mediocre with this, but mostly just because it's such an amazing song.

Richard

This was a very classy, beautiful performance from Erika. It barely cracked my top 50, but that’s primarily due to season 11 being so stacked.

I love the rapport between Erika and the pianist at the beginning of the performance. It seemed almost conversational. Having said that, I do feel like a bit of the magic was lost once she walked to center stage. Erika’s vocal itself was very solid; nothing super outstanding, but her tone was very rich, and she hit most of her notes quite well despite a few landing flat.

All in all, I thought this was a strong performance from Erika, but I don’t personally see it as top 20 material. There’s absolutely no way she should have been eliminated after it, though.

Wally

Erika is a very good singer, but she's someone I feel...... I don't really get the big buzz or connect with? I could be on my unpopular opinion there. I would have preferred "The Edge of Glory" here over this performance as that was my favorite performance of Erika's, but that didn't happen. I do think her  "New York State Of Mind" was good, but I do always associate this song with Kimberley Locke's version, who blows me away and I didn't get that same feeling here. But she sang this well and put some good emotion into this. But there are parts of this I do like but then some parts that kinda bore me. Well done to her fans getting this here, as it is nice to have some Erika representation in the finals.

14. Colton Dixon "Love The Way You Lie"

r8P6jwc.png

11.5/20

Watch Here

@goofycilla90 - 3/20

@Elliott - 5/20

@JORDAN_FAN - 6/20

@rdhaley96 - 7/20

@*Wallace - 7/20

@jarmon - 7/20

@Zoey - 8/20

@sublymonal - 8/20

@*Lily - 9/20

@1234567890 - 9/20

@Steven_ - 9/20

@*Amanda - 10/20

@JC - 10/20

@NGM - 10/20

@*Chris - 11/20

@Alex95 - 11/20

@Solaris - 14/20

@*Diana - 14/20

@#jeah - 16/20

@QueenKalie - 16/20

@hayden98 - 16/20

@Weedy_Speedy - 17/20

@totes4totes - 19/20

@Crisis - 19/20

@FrogLenzen - 19/20

@taylorkat - 20/20

Elliott

Iconic.

Richard

Simply put, this performance was just so captivating. Colton wasn’t necessarily known as one of the most technically perfect vocalists this season, but in this performance, that didn’t matter. 

First of all, I absolutely love how the performance was staged. The white piano, the fog, the dreary lighting, everything about it came together in a way that was both ethereal and somewhat bleak, and that juxtaposition is something I found really interesting. I loved how Colton’s vocals at the beginning were a bit echo-y, and the simple piano accompaniment drew even more attention to them. I also loved hearing that string section come in during the chorus and grow more intense during the bridge, which really played well with the buildup in Colton’s vocals. And then when Colton hit the word “memories” in the bridge… that 10-15 seconds was just magical. The performance ended beautifully, too, with the arrangement once again backing off to a simple piano.

As I said before, this wasn’t technically a perfect vocal, but this performance was otherwise wonderful, and I’m so happy it made it into the top 20. 

Wally

Wow, the drama it took for the Round 3 group to advance this performance was really something else. :dead: Even though this wasn't any of our very top choice, in hindsight I am glad we did advance this performance as I do really love this performance a lot from Colton. This is my favorite performance of Colton's and one of my favorite performances of the season. Colton also had my favorite performance of the night on that 2010s theme. It wasn't a performance I was gonna fight for....but was hoping it could make the Top 20, and yeah super glad it got there.

I've always really loved this song a ton - both the Eminem & Rihanna version, as well as the Rihanna piano ballad version (which is the version Colton did here). I really love these piano ballad performances of his, as Colton really sings right from the heart and pours his emotion into the song. He's a fantastic piano player, and his vocals really shines on these kinds of songs. He sang this song so beautifully. I do love how he sings the pre-chorus of the song. But I also love how he sings the chorus of the song. He showcases a lot of vocal inflictions and dynamics in his voice. My favorite part is the big build up part on the bridge of the song:

So maybe I'm a masochist

I try to run, but I don't wanna ever leave

'Til the walls are going up

In smoke with all our memories

That was such a powerful part of the song! :omg: Love his vocals and the passion he pours into that part of the song! His vocals after that were great with rest of his belting and softer quieter vocal moments. This is an amazing performance from Colton and fingers crossed this is his last standing performance in this game.

Lily

Another performance which really just is brought to a greater standard by its arrangement. Colton does a brilliant job but the work of the orchestra is really just beautiful here. Great performance.

Steven

This is my favorite Colton performance, so I'm glad to see it managed to make it to the Top 20. Colton was at his best behind the piano in my opinion. He sang from the heart, and I liked the arrangement he chose for the song too. It was just a really nice performance. 

JC

gorgeous version, loved it!

Chris

My favourite of his - this one come to mind when I think of his time on Idol. 

Alex

I'm not huge on Colton, but this is easily my favorite performance from him in the competition. Such a moving arrangement and he sang it shockingly well. I wouldn't have necessarily wanted to move it on to the voting round lol, but it's what our group did I suppose :dead:

Andy

This is Fine. It’s a Moment I guess but I have just never really connected with Colton or his style? Vocally this is very great though and I guess the arrangement is smart. 🙂 

Kevin

Didn't care for this.

Crisis

This is probably my favorite Colton performance due to him not sounding as tinny and whiny as he normally did. However, it still isn’t saying much because I prefer other voices and contestants this season.

Derek

I'm mad at myself for not using my cuts on him. That one moment when he uses his full voice it sounds good, but I cannot take the whiny affectation he puts on everything else. Barely in key for a lot also

13. Phillip Phillips "U Got It Bad"

jySiRQh.png

11.5/20

Watch Here

@totes4totes - 3/20

@*Chris - 3/20

@goofycilla90 - 4/20

@Elliott - 4/20

@Steven_ - 5/20

@sublymonal - 5/20

@#jeah - 7/20

@Crisis - 7/20

@JC - 7/20

@Solaris - 11/20

@hayden98 - 11/20

@JORDAN_FAN - 13/20

@rdhaley96 - 14/20

@*Amanda - 14/20

@*Wallace - 14/20

@*Lily - 14/20

@NGM - 14/20

@Weedy_Speedy - 15/20

@QueenKalie - 15/20

@1234567890 - 16/20

@jarmon - 17/20

@Alex95 - 17/20

@FrogLenzen - 17/20

@*Diana - 17/20

@Zoey - 18/20

@taylorkat - 18/20

Chris

Phillip kinda got done dirty in this rankdown but at least one of the performance of the season made it through. 

Elliott

Iconic.

Steven

This is one of my favorite Phillip performances, so I'm glad it managed to make it to the Top 20. Phillip's rearrangement of the song was very clever and cool. The WGWGs winning streak may have annoyed some viewers, but Phillip actually delivered performances worthy of being the winner of the season. And performances like "U Got It Bad" prove that.

Andy

Sexually, this does things for me. He’s the best version of the WGWG prototype that unfortunately dominated Idol for awhile. And this is coming from someone who used to LOVE Kris

Crisis

U Got It Bad is PP’s second best performance, IMO. I didn’t expect him to pick a song like this, so I didn’t know how it would turn out. Well, he came out and gave a nice somewhat jazzy rendition of the Usher hit, outside of the last note getting away from him a bit. One of the better Top 7 Redux performances.

JC

this is what lee would sound like if he could actually knew how to sing in tune and understood tone, rhythm, and pitch. not on the same level of the other phillip performances in the top 20, but still good.

Richard

Now we’re getting to the performances I really liked, and for me, this was one of Phillip’s best. The steamy, sultry arrangement really worked for me, and I love the way the stage was set up, too. 

Phillip himself did a great job here. It wasn’t necessarily a perfect vocal, and I would have liked to see him be a little more subdued in the first half of the song so that the second half would have felt even more impactful, but that aside, I don’t have too many gripes. Phillip oozed charisma here without really even trying, and that’s a big part of why this performance worked so well.

Overall, this wasn’t quite a top 20 performance for me, but I’m not mad that it made it in. Phillip is someone who’s definitely risen in my rankings since I watched season 11 the first time, so it’s nice to see him get some recognition.

Wally

Oooh gosh, I totally remember being really unimpressed when I found Phillip was singing "U Got It Bad." Phillip was easily my least favorite of the Final 8, and then he was going to sing a song from one of my all-time favorite male artists in Usher + a song I really love. I was expecting him to ruin it...... But he didn't? He changed it up....and I......actually loved this? Admittedly this is the only performance of Phillip's I really love (although I do like or really like a few others). I just thought this was such a cool and fresh performance! I really loved this jazzy acoustic version, and I appreciate how Phillip made the song his own. I really liked his vocals here and how he sang the song. It was all just really cool, and I thought he really connected with the song here. :yes: I do really like how he sings the "like my money, my cars....you can have it all. Flowers, cards & candy" part. Then I also like all of the grittiness he has in his vocals when he sings the rest of the song.

I'm rooting for this to be his last standing performance, even though it'll likely be "Volcano," which I can live with. Just hoping that this can beat out "Home."

Lily

It's a great take on the song and he has a really nice rasp, and overall would be my favorite Phillip performance, and one of the only ones I'd find myself going back to.

Kevin

I don't even remember this.

Alex

Honestly, I found myself slightly disappointed with this on rewatch. The rhythm was a bit too Lin Manuel-Miranda-esque for my liking. And obviously I know Phillip has never been known for vocals, but there was nothing impressive about them. It was just Phillip doing his thing, which was fine and all. I just wasn't wowed like I was hoping.

Derek

he thinks he's Kris Allen lol. okay hearing this again I'm very upset at literally everything about it... scary

12. Hollie Cavanagh "The Climb"

1gAklMq.png

11.1/20

Watch Here

@JORDAN_FAN - 1/20

@QueenKalie - 1/20

@Steven_ - 1/20

@*Diana - 1/20

@*Amanda - 2/20

@Solaris - 3/20

@*Wallace - 10/20

@Elliott - 10/20

@hayden98 - 10/20

@FrogLenzen - 10/20

@goofycilla90 - 11/20

@sublymonal - 11/20

@rdhaley96 - 12/20

@JC - 12/20

@*Lily - 12/20

@1234567890 - 12/20

@taylorkat - 14/20

@Crisis - 14/20

@jarmon - 14/20

@totes4totes - 16/20

@Weedy_Speedy - 16/20

@#jeah - 18/20

@Zoey - 19/20

@*Chris - 19/20

@Alex95 - 19/20

@NGM - 20/20

Steven

This is arguably Hollie's most memorable moment on the show. What makes this performance special is that the song choice is a callback to her first American Idol audition in Season 10. She almost got a no from the judges, but then she got a second chance and sang "The Climb." She changed the judges' minds and got a ticket to Hollywood. Hollie was then cut right before the voting rounds, but Jennifer told Hollie to come back. Hollie made it to the voting rounds for Season 11, and she went on quite a journey throughout the season too. She was an early frontrunner and then became the underdog who kept surviving elimination. "The Climb" was a fitting song choice, and Hollie delivered a strong and beautiful performance too. Her vocals shined on this song, she looked confident, and it was nice to see the judges give her a standing ovation too. I really enjoyed this performance, and I'm glad it's here in the Top 20.

Sola

Her best, one of my favorites this season.

Wally

The polarizing thoughts of Hollie are really hilarious here. It seems that people either really love her or really dislike her. I'm closer to the love side but not quite there, as I do really like her. I expect a lot of high or low rankings for her performances, but I'm one of those that will be in the middle, as Hollie's performance of "The Climb" comes in at #10 for me. This was such a great song choice for Hollie, and she sang this so beautifully. I thought she really connected and felt the emotion of the song here too. I do love how she builds this up and powers through that bridge and then into the chorus! She delivered some really beautiful big notes here. I think this might be my second favorite performance from Hollie as well. And also I'm pretty sure this is my favorite version of the song done on American Idol. This was definitely one of Hollie's best moments on the show, and very deserving of being in this Top 20!

Elliott

Call me basic but I enjoyed it.

Derek

my issue with Hollie is that her singing is the opposite of effortless. It sounds like she's praying for every note. But she gets there most of the time.

Richard

What I love about this performance from Hollie is that it really showed her Idol journey coming full circle. This was the song that in season 10 convinced the judges to let her through her initial audition. It was really great to see her cover this song again a year and a half later as a more refined and polished singer and performer. Her vocal on this was absolutely beautiful in both her upper and lower registers.

While I wasn’t the biggest Hollie fan, I do think she was done a bit dirty by the rankers in this game. She grew leaps and bounds over the course of the season, and this performance definitely encapsulated that, even if it was only her second-best performance in my book. It’s a shame that what I thought was her best performance (“Bleeding Love”) was cut, because that performance would have ranked even higher for me (being my true #8 of the season and #6 out of this top 20). 

JC

i didn't mind hollie, not one of my top faves but definitely one of my secondary faves, this was just ok though.

Lily

Very nice job! Hollie's not a main favorite of mine but I like both of her performances here and she gave strong vocals in each.

Crisis

Hollie is one of the most adorable Idol contestants, and The Climb was one of her best performances and can be considered as her signature performance seeing that this was her audition song. She sang it really well and her reaction after finally getting a standing ovation from the judges was cute. The only reason I didn’t rank it higher is because I really do not like this song.

Kevin

This was so vanilla, vanilla would be too much of a taste to describe it. Remember in The Good Place, when Michael asked Janet for something that people like but was really kind of a bummer, and Janet replied with frozen yogurt? Hollie is frozen yogurt.

Andy

See I’m ranking this higher than a non-Hollie performance I’m not a hater!! Like this is technically proficient, but I just don’t feel anything when she sings. I’m sorry!!!!!

Chris

I always found her to be overrated, and this performance was super basic.

Alex

I absolutely stand by all my comments in the thread. This is a song that is so basic it's impossible to have a moment with it. This was a 6th grade talent show performance. But at least she likely would've gotten a solid third place at that talent show with this performance so she's got that going for her.

11. Phillip Phillips "Home"

RYQHAU7.png

10.9/20

Watch Here

@totes4totes - 2/20

@Elliott - 2/20

@sublymonal - 2/20

@JC - 5/20

@hayden98 - 5/20

@*Chris - 6/20

@Steven_ - 6/20

@NGM - 8/20

@*Diana - 8/20

@#jeah - 9/20

@jarmon - 10/20

@Crisis - 11/20

@Solaris - 13/20

@Alex95 - 13/20

@FrogLenzen - 13/20

@Weedy_Speedy - 14/20

@JORDAN_FAN - 14/20

@QueenKalie - 14/20

@Zoey - 15/20

@taylorkat - 15/20

@rdhaley96 - 15/20

@*Amanda - 15/20

@1234567890 - 15/20

@goofycilla90 - 16/20

@*Lily - 18/20

@*Wallace - 20/20

Elliott

Best-selling Idol alumni single of all time. :bobo:

JC

what a single, idol actually did a good job giving a successful single for once.

Chris

One of best winners' single in the history of Idol, and it is because of Phillip's delivery that it is such a success. 

Steven

It's cool looking back on this performance. This was the debut of "Home" before it became a massive hit song. "Home" suited Phillip perfectly. He delivered a heartfelt performance and had one of his best moments on the show at the finale. This helped secure him the win, but I think he was going to win anyway though.

Andy

Idk, it feels a little weird to rank this in the top 10 because the song is really easy to sing. But I was OBSESSED with this song for awhile and it really is the best coronation song imo. This fits his voice like a glove and he sings it with enough conviction to make it work for me. Love this.

Crisis

PP is lucky he wasn’t saddled with a coronation song that had a bunch of high notes he wouldn’t be able to hit. :haha: Regardless, while I personally wouldn’t have this performance in my Top 20, it’s still one of PP’s better performances of the season and one of the best Idol coronation song performances.

Alex

Obviously the song itself is shockingly good and better than the other winners singles the show has done. Phillip was in the zone here and definitely helped clinch the win with it. If I'm not thinking about the song in general and just thinking about the performance from final two night, I wouldn't call it amazing. But better than Jessica's unfortunately.

Kevin

I never cared for this song as much as other people do. It's alright.

Richard

As a coronation song, this was really one of the only marketable ones to ever come from the series, and it fit Phillip’s voice and persona perfectly. His performance of the song during the finale was good. I love the sort of cozy and intimate vibe he was giving off in the beginning, and the spectacle of all the snare drummers coming out on stage was really cool to watch.

Phillip’s vocal on this was serviceable but nothing special. He did fall consistently flat on the high notes near the end, which was understandable because they were at the top of his range, but other than that, he was just fine. All in all, this was a good performance of a good song, but it’s not one of the best of the season for me (or even one of his personal best).

Lily

I like the song, it's well-performed, but not a wow moment for me by any means. 

Wally

Ugh, I just knew that this performance would have made the up finals. But I also wasn't going to cut it as I do like this while there were plenty of other Phillip performances around that I didn't care for. I honestly could have done without this performance, as I do find it kinda overrated. And before people come @ me, yes I do and can admit that Phillip's coronation single and performance was better than Jessica's. I think the song is actually a really good song but it was one that grew on me a few months after its release. No doubt that this was a good and decent performance. I just don't think he really settled into or felt the emotion of this song quite yet. It was a very new song for him, so I didn't feel the emotion here as I did with other performances of this song he did later after his win. I'm sure it will rank well, but I hope it doesn't rank too well. :ph34rwave:

• Alex95 changed the title to American Idol Performances Mini Rankdown (Season 11 - 15-11 Posted)
14 minutes ago, Weedy_Speedy said:

Basically lol, although I admit the performance available are switched with how I thought they would rank. Was RITD really considered one of her best? :whut: 

I knew it was going to be considered one of her best so tanked it to twenty. 

Nearly ten seasons on and she would easily rank in my bottom three least favourite/least talented idol contestants ever. My dislike has never gone away. Lazaro and Briana Ramirez-Rial would rank higher. :haha:

• Like 1

Ooh I'm fine with most of this set here.

Really good on Erika's NYSOM making it to the Top 15.

Aww Colton's LTWYL is the only performance I'm sad about missing out in the Top 10. :( Wished it had ranked higher than 14th, but happy it made the Top 20.

Omg Hollie's TC rankings crack me up. :dead: There are those #1 and #2's, and then everything else from #10 to #20. But glad this made it to #12 as i wasn't expecting that.

Ugh, Home ended up beating UGIB regarding Philip's performances. :/ Oh well. At least two of his performances showed up here. And omg lol Lily & I both ranking UGIB at #14 as our favorite from him. :haha:

Loving this Top 10, as a whole! 4 Jessica performances and 2 Joshua performances! :ohyeah: Happy with the Elise & Hollie performances in the Top 20, and the Phillip one I'd a really good one too.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, JORDAN_FAN said:

At least Hollie was able to get one performance in the top 10 and not have a performance in the bottom 5. ❤️

:wub: 

I’ll consider this a win. I really did not expect a performance of hers to crack top 10 with how much some of the rankers dislike her. :haha: 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, QueenKalie said:

We should make a poll, is Elliott more obsessed with Jessica or is Zoey more obsessed with Hollie.

Neither.

Neither of us have mentioned either of them outside of completing this season in this rankdown.

I think the real poll should be:

Is it more likely that QK will defend Hollie blindly because no one can mention anything negative about her or will Hollie stans constantly remind us she only got two performances in the top twenty and was the most robbed by Idolforums?

I think the poll would be split tbh.

• Like 1