@*Lily - 17/20

@Alex95 - 19/20

@Crisis - 20/20

@Steven_ - 20/20

@Weedy_Speedy - 20/20

Zoey

I love this song and I love Katie. 

Derek

wow I hate this arrangement. Why would you pick this song regardless. 

Chris

A great performance by one of the most successful contestants from Season 9.  And since this is Season 9, why not give it a decent ranking! 

Andrew

I mean, not sure how this made the Top 20 but sure.

Hayden

It’s interesting to me how Katie kind of pulled it together when she hit the finals because I vaguely remember her being underwhelming during the semifinals. This performance was really pretty!

Wally

I would have preferred Katie's Elvis song (or even Chain of Fools) to have made it through over this performance though I still really like this. This performance did start off a little too sloe for me, but I did love how she built this up at the chorus. Beautiful performance.

Lily

I liked this well enough, felt it could have been delivered with far more conviction, but it was a pretty decent vocal and overall I like Katie well enough so glad to see her in here.

Alex

This performance served pageantbot realness. I'm not a Katie stan, nor am I a Katie hater. I surely wouldn't put this near my top 20.

Crisis

I was a bit surprised when this performance advanced straight to the finals. I thought her Elvis performance was the better one available and would’ve advanced that. Katie didn’t have a strong showing in the semis (especially with Breakaway), so it was somewhat of a surprise for her to be in the Top 12. She gave an OK performance with Wild Horses, but I don’t think it measures up to the other performances here and is my least favorite in the finals.

Steven

Katie had some good moments in this performance, but I don't think everything came together perfectly. There were noticeable pitch issues, so it's not one of my favorite performances in this Top 20.

Kevin

I don't even remember this performance happening.

14. Alex Lambert "Everybody Knows"

NJ4bM3d.png

11.8/20

Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE3rp359Y8M

@goofycilla90 - 1/20

@*Chris - 4/20

@1234567890 - 5/20

@FrogLenzen - 6/20

@JORDAN_FAN - 9/20

@Zoey - 9/20

@*Diana - 10/20

@hayden98 - 10/20

@.Rei - 10/20

@sublymonal - 11/20

@*Lily - 12/20

@Weedy_Speedy - 13/20

@Elliott - 13/20

@Steven_ - 14/20

@Alex95 - 14/20

@Solaris - 14/20

@Crisis - 16/20

@taylorkat - 16/20

@QueenKalie - 16/20

@*Wallace - 18/20

@totes4totes - 19/20

@*Amanda - 19/20

Chris

A robbed king from Season 9! I prefer Trouble to this performance but glad that he is represented in this Top 20. 

Derek

LMAO the typical idol go up an octave on the last note. The diphthongs are killing me too. But this was fine.

Zoey

He was the only robbed semi-finalist that year.

Hayden

If Season 9 had to be a season dominated by the men, I wish Alex could’ve been a part of it – he was definitely an example of the greenness that many of the kids that year showed, but this performance showed some potential for greatness.

Andrew

My favourite of the three robbed semifinalists.

Lily

The whole time I thought this was someone completely different until I listened lmao. Sorry I was probably not cut out for this round! I remember him now though. It was a strong performance and I would have liked to see what he was capable of going past the semi-finals.

Kevin

Good I guess, but I didn't care for his other two performances.

Steven

I remember the outrage when Alex Lambert was eliminated, but I wasn't bothered. So I'm surprised that I ended up liking this performance. I haven't watched this performance since it aired in 2010, but it was better than I remembered. It was nice, and he sounded great.

Alex

Can you imagine being an American Idol voter, sitting at home, deciding you need to hear more from Tim Urban, Andrew Garcia, and Aaron Kelly? Tragic. This performance is great and I love his dorky, socially awkward preshow package. Alex deserved better!

Crisis

After a very weak performance of Wonderful World in which he looked like he would pass out at any moment, Alex came back with his best performance of the season with Everybody Knows. He looked much more comfortable on stage and his voice sounded the best here. I especially liked the falsetto he added at the end. I thought he was one of the better males that season and wouldn’t have minded if he made the finals after this and Trouble.

Wally

This was a nice and solid performance from Alex. His best for sure, but this wouldn't make my personal Top 20. Bonus points to him singing a John Legend song though.

13. Katelyn Epperly "The Scientist"

5QNImKG.png

11.2/20

Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9tZbblzXz8

@*Diana - 1/20

@*Chris - 1/20

@*Wallace - 3/20

@QueenKalie - 4/20

@Alex95 - 4/20

@taylorkat - 5/20

@Steven_ - 6/20

@totes4totes - 9/20

@goofycilla90 - 9/20

@*Amanda - 11/20

@JORDAN_FAN - 12/20

@Crisis - 13/20

@Zoey - 13/20

@1234567890 - 14/20

@Weedy_Speedy - 15/20

@*Lily - 15/20

@Elliott - 17/20

@sublymonal - 17/20

@.Rei - 18/20

@Solaris - 19/20

@hayden98 - 20/20

@FrogLenzen - 20/20

Chris

After all these years, this performance remains the most memorable performance of Season 9 so I guess she won after all despite being robbed. 

Wally

Yayy, I'm so glad that Alex and QK advanced Katelyn's "The Scientist" into the finals as this was one of my favorite performances of the season. :wub: Katelyn delivered a true moment with this performance. I love how she played the piano and performed this in a really heartfelt and emotional way. Her vocals were crystal clear and stunning. :wub: This is one of those performances that gives me chills. I love how she sang everything here, from the soft subtle moments to the bigger belting moments. Katelyn became my favorite after this, which lasted only a week after she was disgustingly robbed. Also ew @  Randy's and Ellen's comments of calling this boring.

Alex

Y'all stan every white blonde girl in reality show history and we finally get a good one and half of y'all decide to eat her up in the comments. Smh. There's been a few robbed semifinalists in AI history, and Katelyn's still the one that stands out to me the most. I just feel in my gut she had some iconic performances up her sleeves that would come out in the finals and we were just so robbed of them so we can watch Lacey Brown butcher "Ruby Tuesday". This performance is lovely and I'm glad I was able to put it into the top 20.

Steven

Katelyn was the only contestant I was disappointed to see get eliminated Top 16 results night. She should've been in the Top 12, and this performance is a reason why. Her delivery made this a standout performance instead of a karaoke performance that oftentimes happens on the Idol stage. It's a shame this performance was underrated by the judges.

Megan

Sometimes I am basic and I like Coldplay.

Crisis

I wasn’t that big on Katelyn during S9 (though she has grown on me some over the years) and wasn’t one of the viewers crying foul at her elimination. Also, I am not a Coldplay fan, and The Scientist is one of my least favorite songs of theirs. However, Katelyn gave a nice and serene performance of it, plus she looked beautiful here. I think the end got away from her a bit, but it’s still one of the best S9 performances.

Zoey

This doesn’t belong anywhere near the final ranking. Basic beyond belief.

Kevin

Average.

Lily

I really dislike Coldplay to the extent where I always know I will prefer a cover of one of their songs to the original. This was the case here! This was a really lovely vocal, not one of my standout performances here but would have liked to see more from her.

Andrew

Okay so I actually like this performance better than this ranking would reflect but I think she lowkey could win this if the Crystal haters tank her performances.

Solaris

zzzzzzzz

Hayden

I know Katelyn has a reputation of being robbed, but tbh I never got the hype. She sang the song well, but I think her tone is very vanilla.

Derek

I have never seen this woman before in my life. Maybe focus on your pitch instead of the piano, sweetie. Sing it in the regular tempo if you can't do it, I mean come on. In the running for worst performance to ever make our finals.

12. Crystal Bowersox "Hand In My Pocket"

L1REPqP.png

11.1/20

Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMWidoczeCw

@*Amanda - 3/20

@Weedy_Speedy - 6/20

@*Diana - 7/20

@QueenKalie - 7/20

@*Lily - 7/20

@totes4totes - 8/20

@sublymonal - 8/20

@Crisis - 9/20

@.Rei - 9/20

@taylorkat - 10/20

@Zoey - 11/20

@Solaris - 12/20

@FrogLenzen - 12/20

@*Wallace - 13/20

@Alex95 - 13/20

@1234567890 - 13/20

@hayden98 - 14/20

@Steven_ - 15/20

@Elliott - 15/20

@JORDAN_FAN - 16/20

@goofycilla90 - 16/20

@*Chris - 20/20

Kevin

Fantastic.

Lily

A great debut performance from Crystal. Really cool way to show off her talents and the start of a great run.

Andrew

I mean, this is an Alanis song, so I assume my husband is going to rank it high. And I do like this performance, but she has so many other good performances!

Crisis

Unsurprisingly, Crystal has the most performances in the S9 finals. While all of them are great in some form or another and although it’s in my Top 10 here, Hand In Pocket is the weakest one in the finals IMO. She sang the song really well, plus the harmonica solo was a nice touch. However, I think other Crystal performances could’ve been here instead such as Maybe I’m Amazed and especially Up To The Mountain. With that said, it’s still better than a majority of the performances from other contestants.

Zoey

Her best. 

Derek

lol I forgot about the harmonica

Wally

I thought this was a pretty cool performance. She sang this well and connected well to the song. I especially liked where she played the harmonica here. It was a very cool inclusion here.

Alex

Definitely not one of Crystal's more "wow" performances, but the harmonica was a cute choice and...come on. Just listening to her between the other contestants of S9 is just embarrassing, she's in a completely different league of her own.

Hayden

With so many Crystal performances in the mix some of them had to take a lower ranking so I could give other contestants some love. HIMP still makes it pretty close to the halfway mark for me though because Crystal was a natural performer in a season of mostly green contestants.

Steven

This was good. It seemed effortless, and the song was a good fit for her voice. The harmonica was a nice touch too.

Chris

I always thought she did good with the song, mainly the arrangement, but it being in the Top 20 over some of her more superior performances is a choice.

11. Michael Lynche "This Woman's Work"

MOf017B.png

10.6/20

Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMN_8t8ENaQ

@*Wallace - 1/20

@*Lily - 2/20

@Weedy_Speedy - 5/20

@Zoey - 5/20

@taylorkat - 6/20

@Alex95 - 6/20

@hayden98 - 6/20

@1234567890 - 6/20

@Crisis - 8/20

@goofycilla90 - 8/20

@FrogLenzen - 8/20

@*Diana - 9/20

@totes4totes - 12/20

@Solaris - 13/20

@*Amanda - 14/20

@.Rei - 14/20

@JORDAN_FAN - 17/20

@QueenKalie - 18/20

@Steven_ - 19/20

@*Chris - 19/20

@Elliott - 19/20

@sublymonal - 19/20

Wally

I'm not totally sure if Michael's "This Woman's Work"  was my favorite performance of the season per se, but it is a performance I truly love and really wanted in the finals. So thank you to Diana to agreeing to this. I'm also ranking this at #1 to help this as much ad I can and hope this can get a Top 10 ranking. I do think of this as my favorite performance from Michael, though a few others come close behind.

Lily

Wow so many semi-final performances in this top vote. Can't even complain. Michael's is one of the highlights for me. Such a difficult song which packs a lot of emotion too. And he really mastered it.

Kevin

Fantastic.

Zoey

STUNNING

Alex

Absolutely deserved top 10. Big Mike's falsetto is actually one of the best I've ever heard on the show. I'm not huge on Mike, but this performance was definitely amazing and the highlight of his Idol run. This song makes me think of Lindsay singing it one of the You're the Worst season finales though lol.

Hayden

This is one of the few non Crystal/Paige performances that I have specific memories of. It was a pleasure revisiting it because Michael’s falsetto in particular was amazing with this performance!

Crisis

This is an incredibly difficult song to sing; however, Big Mike came out and really slayed this song. The smartest thing he did was not attempt to sing it in falsetto because it would’ve been disastrous. I liked the way he ended the song with the high notes at the end. This was his best performance of the season and one I am happy made it to the finals. With that said, probably the most memorable part was Kara’s crying after it (hey someone had to replace Paula in the getting emotional over performances role :haha:).

Derek

kind of a weird arrangement... not a good song for a singing competition IMO. But it was fine.

Steven

This was a great song choice, but I didn't really like his vocals here. I get why it's here in the Top 20, but I wasn't too impressed.

Chris

I never really cared for Michael Lynche but I guess this performance was his best by a mile, with "Ready for Love" being a close second although I prefer Ready For Love to this one. 

Andrew

Objectively deserved Top 20, but I never liked Big Mike.

• Alex95 changed the title to American Idol Performances Mini Rankdown (Season 9 - 15-11)

Fine with Katie's Wild Horses coming in at #15. I'm glad others mentioned preferring her Elvis song to make the Top 20.

Fine with Alex's ranking. But especially glad that Katelyn was the last semis finalist standing. Even though I wished her performance made the Top 10.

Fine with Crystal's HIMP coming in 12th, although I prefer it to some other performance of hers in the final vote. But I get why it showed up first.

Disappointed but not at all surprised Mike's TWW missed the Top 10. I told Victoria I wouldn't be surprised he wouldn't make Top 10 on an IDF game. But yeah, he's always been underrated/not given proper credit from some here (as i feel regarding some of my favorite males from S8 onwards) and that was not gonna change. But at least, it wasn't lower than #11.

Yikes this was also the worst my #1 did. :(But its S9 so eh. Hoping my #2 can win, which I feel has a great shot at winning.

12 minutes ago, 1234567890 said:

I guess Taylor is more disliked on IDF than Lee because In The Ghetto > Treat Her Like A Lady. Or does it just mean the caliber of S5 was greater? Probably.

and people were saying that the comments on Lee were too harsh and we got some of these choice comments earlier. 

6 hours ago, 1234567890 said:

I guess Taylor is more disliked on IDF than Lee because In The Ghetto > Treat Her Like A Lady. Or does it just mean the caliber of S5 was greater? Probably.

It means both. Poor Lee, treated so unfair. Performance makes the top 10 and I'm half expecting it to be top 5. :haha: 

Heck, let's throw Big Mike into this mix. "This Woman's Work" was brilliant and deserving of a much higher spot here. Nothing Lee did even remotely reached the level of quality of that and some of Michael's other performances, sorry.

Edited by Weedy_Speedy
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, 1234567890 said:

Hmm, its hard to compare these performance with different list rankings.

I think S5 was more stacked than S9, and Taylor has no/less stans while Lee does. So those two factors help Lee out.

But even if those 2 performances battled against each other on the same list, I'm sure Lee would still win out.

3 hours ago, Weedy_Speedy said:

Heck, let's throw Big Mike into this mix. "This Woman's Work" was brilliant and deserving of a much higher spot here. Nothing Lee did even remotely reached the level of quality of that and some of Michael's other performances, sorry.

58 minutes ago, Zoey said:

This Woman’s Work was robbed.

Agreed completely. But I think we all knew this would happen to TWW. :closedeyes: