American Idol Performances Mini Rankdown

Alex95

I wanted to like Gina because she had a fantastic personality, but she was really just a second-rate Carly beta. Her ballads were mediocre and her rock performances were poser-ish.

People on here were so pressed back in the day when Haley outlasted her. :haha: 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, .Rei said:

I like Gina but Call me when you're sober is not a good performance.. She practically screamed all her way through the song

6 minutes ago, 1234567890 said:

I never bought Gina’s rock persona. 🤷‍♀️

6 minutes ago, 1234567890 said:

Nikki > Gina. 😘

tea GIF

She shouted Alone also. 

• Like 1

Alone is a power ballad so it's necessary that there's a bit of shouting/belting involved. But there's a difference between having the natural ability to sing at that level ala Ann Wilson and thus being able to put a note behind it, and not having it and thus compensating by shouting. Carrie and Carly were the former, almost everyone else was the latter.

That's why Allison's version is the third best in my opinion, she knew she wasn't Ann Wilson and didn't try to be, instead electing to put her own spin on it. This is also why I can respect her interpretation being someone's #1 favorite, it's just not mine.

Edited by Weedy_Speedy
  • Like 1

On the Gina discussion, yes she was robbed, but that's because she was on a cast with Haley, Sanjaya, Phil, and Chris who managed to be more mediocre than her. When it comes to her performances, she only did That with "I'll Stand By You". I love her song choices of "Alone" and "Call Me When You're Sober", but she didn't deliver as much as I was hoping for her to.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Alex95 said:

When it comes to her performances, she only did That with "I'll Stand By You". I love her song choices of "Alone" and "Call Me When You're Sober", but she didn't deliver as much as I was hoping for her to.

Agreed, ISBY was in her vocal wheelhouse, and she was still able to make it her own in a way. It's the only time the pop/rock balladeer idea they were going for with her worked.

"Smile" was also really good, by the way.

Edited by Weedy_Speedy

10 hours ago, Elliott said:

I can only assume y’all are the American Idol voting public in 2007 from the way Gina is being done dirty :/

/overdramatic 

Sabrina too, who was even more done dirty on real life and in this game. 💔

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, 1234567890 said:

The Voice’s winner having no songs on the iTunes Singles Chart or iTunes Album charts is sending me. :dead: 

Chayce outsold. :wub: Heck, even Grace is still in the high 100’s. :bobo: The Voice finally showing signs of slowing down. 😍

Brynn's album was in the top 10. I didn't really watch this season but I feel like the voice gave up on iTunes since iTunes is basically dead at this point. 

Edited by QueenKalie

Catching up now. I attended a co-worker's (or should I say ex co-worker's) retirement party last night and drank too much. I'm still recovering from a hangover. 🤕

About advancing "Tell Him" to the Top 20. I went into the round expecting all of Haley's performances to be cut and looked at other performances to advance. However, I saw she had some still available, so I had to take advantage of the opportunity. 🤭 #sorrynotsorry

On the subject of Gina, I agree about her not being a genuine rocker. I don't know if she was convinced to be the season's rocker girl or not, but it looked like she wanted to be something more. Her rock performances weren't anything to get excited over. She'd been much better off had she gave more performances like "I'll Stand By You".

43 minutes ago, 1234567890 said:

The Voice’s winner having no songs on the iTunes Singles Chart or iTunes Album charts is sending me. :dead: 

Chayce outsold. :wub: Heck, even Grace is still in the high 100’s. :bobo: The Voice finally showing signs of slowing down. 😍

When it comes to the most recent winners of both shows, I greatly prefer Cam to Chayce. I feel that Cam had a stronger, impressive and more versatile run.

I don’t really follow the iTunes charts stats from either show but I do know Chayce has been selling really well with his single. I believe his single hit #1 on the Country iTunes chart and overall iTunes charts. So very well done to him there. :yes:

27 minutes ago, QueenKalie said:

Brynn's album was in the top 10. I didn't really watch this season but I feel like the voice gave up on iTunes since iTunes is basically dead at this point. 

Ah yeah I feel they barely make a big deal about iTunes now. I remember when they would do these 10x bonuses if the contestants songs made the Top 10. Or something ridiculous like that. :dead: