American Idol Performances Mini Rankdown

Alex95

12 minutes ago, Weedy_Speedy said:

Mary Jane: I actually find this overrated. :ph34rwave: It's still a good performance, but I don't agree with it being her best. There were definitely a few tuning problems.

Horror Scream GIF by filmeditor

Just now, 1234567890 said:

I can accept that critique from

@Weedy_Speedy because I know he is subjective and gives Tamyra her props unlike some of those who must not be named. :claybleh:

I regularly give Tamyra her props. 🙂

(and by that I mean acknowledge she was the rightful runner-up despite personally having six others from S1 above her)

10. Kelly Clarkson "I Surrender"

BUrATQP.png

10.5/20

Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4azhllaXzo

@Weedy_Speedy - 4/20

@sublymonal - 5/20

@*Amanda - 5/20

@JC - 6/20

@taylorkat - 6/20

@Elliott - 7/20

@*Diana - 7/20

@~Tom~ - 9/20

@~*8Kay8*~ - 10/20

@Solaris - 11/20

@Crisis - 11/20

@*Lily - 11/20

@Steven_ - 12/20

@*Chris - 12/20

@goofycilla90 - 14/20

@Alex95 - 15/20

@FrogLenzen - 17/20

@1234567890 - 18/20

@*Wallace - 19/20

Andrew

I think, in retrospect, this performance deserves far more credit than it gets because many have tried to perform this song (and Celine Dion) and many have failed, but Kelly crushed this.

JC

I surrender to you Kelly! 💖

Elliott

ICONIC.

Lily

The way she was able to take on such a difficult song whilst sick and still just totally kill it is incredible! It's not a performance I think about often and I'm not sure why because it's gorgeous.

Steven

It's a shame Kelly was sick when she sang this. She delivered many strong vocal moments, but the missed notes prevent me from ranking this performance higher than here.

Chris

An incredible song by Queen Céline Dion, I thought Kelly did her best with the song but I prefer other performances more than this one hence why it's in the lower tier of my ranking. Also, I would love to see her cover this song again as her voice matured a lot since Idol - she would definitely slay the heck out of this song nowadays.

Alex

I commend her for tackling such a big and difficult song. Had she been fully healthy, I think she could have had a real moment here. Still, even ignoring her illness, she did a fantastic job and it's definitely deserving of a top 10 ranking.

Wally

This may be an unpopular opinion but I was never that crazy or big on this performance (at least I hope i’m not the only one). Kelly was sick and lost her voice this week. While this was good I do think her sickness showed her voice wasn’t its usual amazing self. :( She emoted & connected well with the song. She sounded good on the lower parts of the song. But the big belting parts? I found her realllyyy big belting notes to be sharp, shouty and kinda painful to listen to. I’ll admit i may be a hypocrite as I loved Tamyra’s “Feel the Fire” and she had the same vocal issues too. I do applaud Kelly for attempting this difficult song while having laryngitis though. I wish she could have sang this song when her voice was 100% because this could have been amazing. But this just wasn’t it for me. I would have preferred 5 other Kelly performances here over “I Surrender.”

9. Kelly Clarkson "You're All I Need To Get By"

woEfQ6K.png

10.4/20

Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69bIUb99pLE

@Steven_ - 4/20

@FrogLenzen - 4/20

@JC - 5/20

@Weedy_Speedy - 6/20

@*Lily - 7/20

@*Diana - 9/20

@*Amanda - 9/20

@sublymonal - 10/20

@*Wallace - 11/20

@taylorkat - 11/20

@goofycilla90 - 11/20

@Elliott - 12/20

@~*8Kay8*~ - 13/20

@1234567890 - 14/20

@*Chris - 14/20

@Alex95 - 14/20

@Crisis - 14/20

@~Tom~ - 14/20

@Solaris - 15/20

Steven

I really liked the arrangement and Kelly's delivery here. The song suited her perfectly, and she gave an effortlessly flawless performance. She made it look so easy.

JC

so fun and upbeat, dancing with it!

Lily

This is one of my favorite performances from Kelly on the show, and she had many! But I always really enjoyed her take on this song, a difficult arrangement and she handled it like the pro she is.

Andrew

I had to put one more Kelly performance in my Top 10. Again, during Season 10 week, she was among the best alongside Justin and Tamyra and I felt like the judge’s praise of her was very muted in comparison. You will put some respect on Kelly’s name!

Wally

Kelly’s  first performance in the finals! :wub: I loved this performance as I do with many of her performances, but I feel like this one gets a little overlooked amongst her performances. Maybe it’s not her ~very best, but it’s still an amazing performance and deserves more credit. 😘 And yeah my #11 ranking isn’t really helping matters, so oops. She sounds so pretty on the softer start of the song. Then I love how she builds up the song and belts it out on the pre-chorus and chorus! She doesn’t just sing, she SANGS this! :omg: I love all of those vocal ad-libs and belting she does towards the end of this.

Elliott

ICONIC.

Chris

Personally, my favourite performance from Motown week.

Alex

I was actually pretty surprised to see this one in the top 10. Of the Kelly performances, this one's a bit more forgettable for me. However, a forgettable Kelly performance is still amazing so I've got no complaints.

8. Tamyra Gray "Fool In Love"

aZreTC9.png

10.4/20

Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AKIwqMORRI

@Alex95 - 3/20

@*Wallace - 4/20

@Crisis - 5/20

@*Lily - 5/20

@~Tom~ - 7/20

@*Amanda - 8/20

@*Chris - 9/20

@~*8Kay8*~ - 9/20

@*Diana - 10/20

@FrogLenzen - 10/20

@goofycilla90 - 10/20

@sublymonal - 13/20

@taylorkat - 13/20

@1234567890 - 13/20

@Steven_ - 13/20

@Weedy_Speedy - 15/20

@JC - 16/20

@Solaris - 16/20

@Elliott - 18/20

Alex

I swear y'all I didn't rig this at all :dead:. But I'm glad my number three ranking broke the tie and propelled this performance to 8th place. It is sooooooo underrated and easily one of my faves of the season. Tamyra got so funky with the performance and it's just so much fun to watch. She also sounded flawless as always.

Wally

I know Tamyra’s "Fool In Love" is a very loved performance but I’m not sure how loved it is. But this was always amongst one of my most favorite, re-watched and re-listened to performances of the season, and of all American Idol performances. This is such a fun, catchy song and Tamyra proved that she can slay the uptempo songs, as she can with the ballads. I love that church like feeling at the start and then how it gets upbeat and so fun! Those WHAT YOU SAYY?  HEY HEY HEYYYYY! parts always gets me pumped! :bobo: Then Tamyra just slays it with her vocals all through the performance. Her stage presence? She dominates and owns the stage like such a natural pro! :wub: Another part i really love that stands out to me is where she sings: He's got my nose open and that's no lie. And I-I'm gonna keep him satisssffffiiieeeed. And then more of those WHAT YOU SAYY?  HEY HEY HEYYYYY!  parts! SO GOOD! 

I can’t express (though I tried) how much I bop to this and how happy it made me back then, and still does now. :bobo:

Lily

Just a great showing of how she had the stage presence, charisma, and vocals, really enjoyable performance of a classic.

Chris

Miss Gray delivered a strong vocal performance on this track. I am super glad that it was able to make its way into the Top 20 as I feel it's a tad bit underrated.

Andrew

A great performance that sometimes gets lost because it was performed on the same night as Natural Woman, but I do like it a lot.

Steven

She showed so much charisma with this fun performance.

JC

vocally on point, a little sharp in areas, but threat to Kelly so sorry even though wifey Victoria will probably want to castrate me

Elliott

I don't remember this.

7. Christina Christian "Ain't No Sunshine"

N6HHvec.png

9.4/20

Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx41udwY3sA

@taylorkat - 1/20

@Alex95 - 2/20

@1234567890 - 4/20

@~*8Kay8*~ - 5/20

@Crisis - 6/20

@Steven_ - 7/20

@*Chris - 8/20

@*Lily - 8/20

@Elliott - 9/20

@FrogLenzen - 9/20

@Weedy_Speedy - 10/20

@*Amanda - 11/20

@~Tom~ - 11/20

@JC - 12/20

@*Wallace - 12/20

@*Diana - 13/20

@goofycilla90 - 13/20

@sublymonal - 18/20

@Solaris - 20/20

Alex

Possibly the S1 performance I revisit the most...? It's really one of the most underrated performances in Idol history. It's easily the best non-Kelly or Tamyra performance of the season. It's really sexy and just sung so, so well. Christina made the song her own and it's just everything to me. In a perfect world, I would've loved to see it underdog its way to top five but realistically, I'm beyond happy with this placement.

Steven

This was a really cool performance from Christina. This was my favorite performance of hers.

Chris

I am probably ranking this song way higher than I should but I have a special spot for, and I feel that is one of the Idol performance that became underrated as the years went by. 

Lily

Just such a pretty and sensual tone to her voice on this song. A gorgeous performance and my highlight from Christina's run.

Elliott

I'm glad IDF rightfully stans this performance because it's criminally underscored at WNTS. The original Syesha Mercado, tbh!

JC

I really love her face and voice, this was a great performance, she might be a bigger threat than Nikki or Justin because she's better, but not sure how to rank these

Wally

I loved Christina Christian’s "Ain't No Sunshine" and this was certainly her best performance. :wub: Christina had an underwhelming performance of “When a Man Loves a Woman” but made such a strong comeback the following week here. This was the perfect song choice for her. She delivered such a sultry vocals and performance, and really connected with the song. I love how she started it off softly and how she  gradually builds up. I also love the Sade vibe she had here. This was her best vocal. And it should go without saying but she looked absolutely stunningly gorgeous in this performance too. :omg::wub: I wish I could rank this higher than #12 but sadly it just lands here.

Andrew

Her best performance, but definitely nothing compared to most of Kelly and Tamyra’s.

Solaris

baaaaaaaa

6. Tamyra Gray "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going"

U5zSsmK.png

8.7/20

Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UbDG41U34Y

@*Diana - 3/20

@Weedy_Speedy - 3/20

@*Chris - 4/20

@*Lily - 4/20

@Alex95 - 5/20

@*Wallace - 6/20

@*Amanda - 7/20

@taylorkat - 8/20

@Crisis - 8/20

@~*8Kay8*~ - 8/20

@~Tom~ - 8/20

@goofycilla90 - 8/20

@1234567890 - 9/20

@Steven_ - 10/20

@sublymonal - 12/20

@FrogLenzen - 12/20

@Elliott - 13/20

@Solaris - 18/20

@JC - 20/20

Chris

I forever thank the lord that the first ever live performance in American Idol history was this one!  And after all these years, it's one of the most memorable performance from the first ever season - it's truly impressive but not surprising as Tamyra made it seem so effortless.

Lily

Oh how I miss the days of this song not being done to death! Tamyra showed up and opened this season with a bang. Legendary.

Alex

Truly an iconic moment for the show, and helped make Idol what it is today. Right out of the gate, the first live performance in the history of the show, Tamyra just blows us all away with a flawless vocal and delivery. She is a superstar.

Wally

THE Very first live performance of Season 1. THE VERY first live performance ever on American Idol, an d boy was it ever an iconic one? Tamyra sang one of the guttiest, most vocal demanding and rangiest songs out there and she ABSOLUTELY  KILLED THIS! :omg: Her vocals was seriously impressive and out of this world. I love the sass, attitude and power she brought to her performance here. One of my favorite parts is where she sings fast and does that hand move across her face with her lips pouted. So iconic. And those vocal ad-libs and runs? ICONIC. :omg: I was absolutely slayed after this and this cemented Tamyra as my Season 1 favorite (yes Kelly took over that post show but Tamyra was always my #1 during the show). Amazing! :clap: I feel bad ranking this ~only at #6 but that’s where it ends up.

Steven

A show-stopping performance!

Andrew

This probably deserves to be higher but I prefer MTM to this performance because, as I said, it was more surprising and this felt like a very predictable song choice from Tamyra even in Season 1. Did she deliver it? Absolutely, but I’ve never really been a fan of this song being song on Idol because to me it still feels like a broadway song that is missing the context of the rest of the show.

Elliott

ICONIC.

Solaris

god I’ve heard this song a lot, I just don’t like the song at this point, shes probably the best version of it on the idol stage though.  You can expect my to rank this song near the bottom of any season that has it in the finals.

JC

probably biggest threat, i'm sure other rankings will pull it up

Edited by Alex95

• Alex95 changed the title to American Idol Performances Mini Rankdown (Season 1 - 10-6 Posted)
1 hour ago, *Chris said:

Our pleasure!

They represent the largest group of Indigenous in Canada. The most known member of the Cree nation would be Buffy Sainte-Marie whom became the first Indigenous to win an Oscar for a song written for  An Officer and a Gentleman. 

1 hour ago, Solaris said:

the offensive part was a joke, I was just trying to draw attention to the Cree and oji-cree people as the opportunity arose.  I know most individuals on this forum are from the United States, but there might be some that are interested in knowing more about the history that is north of your borders!  

Thank you both again for all of this. And lots of stuff here i didn't know and am certainly interested in learning about this history from you both. :hug: And ahh ok, glad to know the offensive part was a joke because I was def so not offending - just me being a little shady towards Kree Harrison. :haha: 

57 minutes ago, Elliott said:

I regularly give Tamyra her props. 🙂

(and by that I mean acknowledge she was the rightful runner-up despite personally having six others from S1 above her)

YOU LIKE 6 OTHERS more from Season 1 over Tamyra??? Bword who? I know there's Kelly, Nikki and Ryan but who else?? Oh wait... Jim too. But who else?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, *Wallace said:

Lily and I pretty much agreeing on all of our rankings…. until "Get Here” showed up. :dead: I do feel we will agree on everything else. :haha: 

Lmao yes! We were on the same page with a lot of these. :dead: I'll be interested to see if we're similar in the future votes (or if we have another Beyoncé discography moment anywhere :giggle:)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, *Wallace said:

YOU LIKE 6 OTHERS more from Season 1 over Tamyra??? Bword who? I know there's Kelly, Nikki and Ryan but who else?? Oh wait... Jim too. But who else?

Christina and RJ, though the latter and Tamyra are pretty interchangeable for me.

Just now, Elliott said:

Also not @Alex95 using super pixelated images for every performance except Christina's Ain't No Sunshine. :dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead:

Lmao they're all screenshots from youtube and that was one of the few performances that was in HQ. AHINAH and ANW are both in HQ as well.