Who would have been your S16 runner up?

Misirlou

don’t drag me lol but before the cross battles I really wanted a Maelyn/Celia top 2. I actually really loved Celia in all her performances except the obvious flops of her Cross Battle and Top 12 performance. That said, Maelyn and Rod were my top 2 in the semi finals.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Misirlou said:

I´m sure there´s a few lol, I think I remember someone actually saying that on another thread and got nothing but confused reactions.

I don’t know whether they’ll say it in this thread, but there definitely a few of those around. Some people just enjoy supporting the underdog, or going against the grain. I do that on occasion too. But, not on this occasion. :giggle:

• Haha 3

Post blinds my preferable top 4 was Gyth, Jej, Maelyn, and Domenic/Mari. So I would've been fine with any of them. But in the top 8 mt preferable top 4 was Gyth, Maelyn, Dexter, and Andrew. My personal order between them was Gyth>Madelyn>Dexter>Andrew. So I was pretty happy with the results.

Now that's another thing that after s16 I came to IDF and then I started less liking Maelyn. 🤭

21 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

.....Or even further, do you think somebody else should have won instead of Maelyn?....

Who’s going to be the first brave soul to take that one on? :haha:

I said this elsewhere, but I would have been happy with Mari winning if she had better song choices. "My My My" was a horrendous song choice, and she still did fairly okay with it. She did amazingly on "Latch." 

That being said, I'm very happy with Maelyn winning; if I were to pick runner-ups, I'd choose Mari, with Shawn, Rod, and Presley being alternatives.

• Like 2

I mean, comparing how mostly everyone was awful in the lives besides a few, its hard to gauge. The most consistent I would say and had the most progression, was Rod. Mari had a few falters, Shawn was as generic as they came for a soul singer, and still wasn't able to hit the mark(Even in ASFY, it was too lackluster) 

Domenic was very consistent too, but besides his tone, idk how else you could judge him since he was more an Indie-Soul singer. 

I would give it to Presley imo, she had power and good song selection, but I can see how her tone would be grating and turn people off.

Maybe the best live vocalists were: Presley-Rod-Mari-Domenic-Shawn(Even if generic)-Beth-Rebecca(good Crossbattle, flop Playoff tho)

Maelyn of course eats them all up and blows them into other universes to never be seen again, but this is for Runner-Up and not her worship fan thread! So I'll just move along now.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, FloorWax said:

I'm always surprised how good Rod's IDF reception is. Probably has similar appeal to Sid Kingsley.

I´ll be the first to say it: It´s because he didn´t go country lol. Had he stayed with Blake he would have definitely gone that direction, and IDF would not like him as much. In fact, IDF didn´t like him until the Cross Battles.

Another alternative that doesn´t have to do with genre,  I´d say it´s because of this tone, he has a very appealing rasp that´s easy to listen to, and anyone that had at least a good performance in the Cross Battles deserves a mention.

I can see the comparision with Sid, now that I think about it they would make a good battle pairing with a soulful song.

Edited by Misirlou

Tbh I would have loved to see Karly Moreno have a longer run...and for TPTB to allow her to sing in her chosen genre instead of some stupid pop songs.  She has some of my favorite original music of anyone that's been on the show.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Finalists? Andrew. But he shouldn't have even made the top 13...

Top 13? Talentwise, it should've been Shawn. Personal taste, I would've loved to have seen Mari up there.

Overall? Domenic for me. I should've seen Adam saving Mari coming but hearing him say "Mari" instead of "Domenic" when it was time to save was kind of a gut punch.

• Like 3

Finalist: Dexter (not my favorite but at least had a better sense of pitch than Gyth, though Andrew would’ve been acceptable as runner-up as well)

Top 13: Rod or Shawn (Maelyn/Rod/Shawn/Dexter in that order was my ideal top 4 after my top choices for runner-up got cut)

Overall: Domenic, Mari (yes, I’m still salty about Team Adam getting screwed via coach association two years out from the season), Kendra, or Presley

• Like 2

9 hours ago, VintageVoice said:

Overall: Domenic, Mari (yes, I’m still salty about Team Adam getting screwed via coach association two years out from the season), Kendra, or Presley

personally i don't love domenic's tone, but i love the rest of them you mentioned! those were my top favorites of season 16 of the top 24 other than maelyn, with shawn somewhere in the mix.

16 minutes ago, Jordan Smith Fan said:

I don't think so. Sid had much more support than Rod. IDF didn't like Rod they just respected him because he did a duet with Maelyn.

You don't think Sid has a similar appeal to Rod? I get they're very different but I think fans of one would at least like the other.

19 minutes ago, Jordan Smith Fan said:

I don't think so. Sid had much more support than Rod. IDF didn't like Rod they just respected him because he did a duet with Maelyn.

IDF didnt like Rod at the beggining, but warmed up to him after the Cross Battles if I'm correct.

46 minutes ago, Sachin Jain said:

If Carter Lloyd Horne didn’t screw up in the top 8 I would have wanted him possibly to win the whole thing 

Carter probably had the biggest growth arc of that season sans Top 8. Its amazing how he evolved. The guy who powered pitch perfecly through the infamous Cross Battles was not the same shy country kid we met in the blinds.

• Like 1

Realisticly I would say Rod Stokes, I had respect for him and his performances were enjoyable.

I also liked Kendra (she was done dirty, and she should've chosen John instead of Adam she could've won her CB and with a better song choice too), Mari and Presley but considering the demo none of them would've been runner-up so I stick with Rod.