Jump to content

Was Adam really a bad coach?


Recommended Posts

This thread is made to discuss about Adam Levine as a coach on The Voice. Was he really that bad? Which were his main issues as a coach? I remember him being really popular with the contestants (he got most of the four chair turns in early seasons), but apparently, that changed drastically after Season 11. What changed the contestants' minds?. 

 

This probably has been discussed a lot here, but i'm really interested in hear your opinions about him guys, especially considering he was on the show during 16 seasons

Link to post
Share on other sites

To his credit, he took part in some of the most genius song choices in the show (Matt and Addison are an example of that). And he was an ok coach until S14 I guess?

 

His last three seasons were awful tho. Can’t really say anything postive about him as a coach on those seasons (and I’m not taking into account Robegate)

 

Really curious to hear @Rodney’s unbiased thoughts on this topic :P

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Daillon said:

To his credit, he took part in some of the most genius song choices in the show (Matt and Addison are an example of that). And he was an ok coach until S14 I guess?

 

His last three seasons were awful tho. Can’t really say anything postive about him as a coach on those seasons (and I’m not taking into account Robegate)

 

This. His last good season was S13. He pretty much checked out after that. 

 

I´d say his good seasons were S5, S7, S11 and S13 (with Addison only). I liked his choices for Jesse on S12 as well and Laith on S10.

 

On S14 to S16, he just seemed and looked defeated throughout, didn´t care at all, and the contestants didn´t either, since he got stuck with the weakest teams.

 

 

Edited by Misirlou
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think Adam was a bad coach per se.
 

His strongest suit was navigating song selection - he had several contestants where he really nailed song selection (Matt and Addison being the most notable examples, with Laith and Jesse up there as well) and could pick songs that seemed like questionable decisions on paper that ended up working out well (Amanda + Dream On and Jordan + Somebody to Love being the strongest examples of this).

 

He did make some dumb decisions (Katrina Parker’s Season 2 robbery and Robegate come to mind) but he’s only human, after all. Stupid choices come with the territory.

 

Adam also had the reputation of being the four-chair magnet - for example, in S5 he got four of the six four-chair turns on his team (and advanced two of them all the way to the semifinals). That changed around Season 11, though why it changed isn’t totally clear. 
 

I think after four seasons in a row of losing out to Blake’s contestants (especially after coming close to a win with Addison), he was just burnt out and mentally started to check out after Season 14’s pre-taped rounds concluded. It doesn’t excuse everything he did wrong, but it might explain why him leaving the show was arguably for the better. That said, the Season 16 Cross Battles weren’t the best way to bus Adam and force his hand into quitting, but that’s a topic for another time. 
 

TLDR - Adam’s not a bad coach, but staying past when he got burnt out after thirteen seasons eventually led to him ending his time on the show with a flop note instead of letting him go on the higher note of a runner-up.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't mind him back. I liked his arguments during the blinds, he had the fun factor (as Kelly or Blake), and his contestants delivered the most memorable performances. Only thing I couldn't bear were his false promises and ridiculous exaggerations.

 

Also, I don't think he was burnt out after S13. He's a highly competitive person. Since none of his contestants had legit chance to reach the finale, he just didn't care. Here's some statistics. Up until S7, half of the 4-chair turners picked Adam as their coach. However, from S10, he was picked by every fifth 4-chair turners (a fairly low 20%). Same tendency goes for the total number of chair turns. One person from his original team (Billy) got PV for the finale in those seasons.

 

So how did he become a less appealing target for contestants? I'm not sure. They were probably well-aware that his popularity decreased while Blake's increased, season after season. And other popular coaches appeared (such as Pharell or Alicia). If anyone has a better explanation, I'm listening.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Shere Khan said:

I wouldn't mind him back. I liked his arguments during the blinds, he had the fun factor (as Kelly or Blake), and his contestants delivered the most memorable performances. Only thing I couldn't bear were his false promises and ridiculous exaggerations.

 

Also, I don't think he was burnt out after S13. He's a highly competitive person. Since none of his contestants had legit chance to reach the finale, he just didn't care. Here's some statistics. Up until S7, half of the 4-chair turners picked Adam as their coach. However, from S10, he was picked by every fifth 4-chair turners (a fairly low 20%). Same tendency goes for the total number of chair turns. One person from his original team (Billy) got PV for the finale in those seasons.

 

So how did he become a less appealing target for contestants? I'm not sure. They were probably well-aware that his popularity decreased while Blake's increased, season after season. And other popular coaches appeared (such as Pharell or Alicia). If anyone has a better explanation, I'm listening.

 

100% Agreed. SBTL(Jordan), I have Nothing(Tessanne), Dream On(Amanda Brown), Stay(Amber) and Cry Me A River(Chris J) all are in the list of top 10 best performances ever and all from Team Adam.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Daillon said:

To his credit, he took part in some of the most genius song choices in the show (Matt and Addison are an example of that). And he was an ok coach until S14 I guess?

 

His last three seasons were awful tho. Can’t really say anything postive about him as a coach on those seasons (and I’m not taking into account Robegate)

 

Really curious to hear @Rodney’s unbiased thoughts on this topic :P

I honestly think he did well with Reagan. After robegate, no one voted for his team but I think he did a good job with her and picked the right songs throughout the entire season with the exception of cry (she possibly could’ve still done good with that song if she hadn’t been under the weather that week).

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, rp3598 said:

I honestly think he did well with Reagan. After robegate, no one voted for his team but I think he did a good job with her and picked the right songs throughout the entire season with the exception of cry (she possibly could’ve still done good with that song if she hadn’t been under the weather that week).

I agree with this.

He did a stellar job with Addison, though I wouldn't say he's a great coach overall.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say that when Adam hits, he hits big. But when he misses, he whiffs big.

 

As everyone else has already observed, he changed over time and seemed to lose his passion. And then for that final season, he reached CeeLo Season 5 level of radioactive.

Edited by Vinyl
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jyn Mycle said:

So, he won't comeback to the show??? 😂


The biggest clue that the split wasn’t amicable was that he didn’t even come back to perform, despite “Memories” being a huge hit. While he was a coach, he performed almost every single M5 released.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Vinyl said:

How would a Voice season work where none of the contestants want to choose Adam or CeeLo? 🤣

It's simple: Blake and especially Christina would have really stacked teams. Some people would still choose Adam because why not? He's in Maroon 5. And CeeLo's team would be exactly like it was in season 5 lol 😂

Edited by disney1024
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Vinyl said:

How would a Voice season work where none of the contestants want to choose Adam or CeeLo? 🤣

I've always wondered why TPTB chose CeeLo as a coach. I've never heard of him outside of The Voice and I only learned recently that he was one of guys who sang "Crazy" (Tamara Jade's Playoffs performance). Everybody's heard of Adam, Blake, and Christina but CeeLo was always a weird choice of a coach imo. 🧐

Edited by disney1024
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, disney1024 said:

I've always wondered why TPTB chose CeeLo as a coach. I've never heard of him outside of The Voice and I only learned recently that he was one of guys who sang "Crazy" (Tamara Jade's Playoffs performance). Everybody's heard of Adam, Blake, and Christina but CeeLo was always a weird choice of a coach imo. 🧐

Ceelo had a big hit with "Crazy" when he was on Gnarles Barkley, and was fresh with the success of "Forget You" when he joined the show, so I´d say people had heard of him.

 

If anything Blake was pretty unknown outside of the country world, and the Voice actually helped him gain popularity as a whole. He is now a renowed figure in the genre. 

 

Adam was  very popular at the time, particularly with younger people, hence why most of the contestants tended to choose him, and Christina was already regarded as a big figure in music. Being on the Voice did increase their popularity though.

Edited by Misirlou
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...