Coach Rankings

disney1024

I was inspired by the Olympics medal tables on Wikipedia and thought that I could do something similar with the coaches on The Voice. So I objectively ranked the coaches based on how each of their finalists placed (e.g. winner, runner-up, 3rd place, etc.) across all 19 seasons. By default, the table is ordered by the number of winners that each coach had. The number of runner-ups per coach is taken into consideration next, then the number of 3rd-place artists, then the number of 4th-place artists, and finally the number of 5th-place artists. 🧐

image.png.4fe186dd06b7e58e83e276d270ca60a0.png

Coaches highlighted in periwinkle: Former coaches on The Voice (seasons 1-19)

Coaches highlighted in light pink: Current coaches on The Voice (season 20)

Let me know what you think below. ⬇️

Edited by disney1024
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Taking the data from that ranking and doing my own (5 points for 1st, 4 for 2nd, 3 for 3rd, 2 for 4th, and 1 for 5th) - here's how that stacks up. Tied coaches are in alphabetical order by first name:

1. Blake - 110 points
  2. Adam - 50 points
  3. Kelly - 18 points
  4. Christina - 13 points
  5. Alicia - 12 points
  6. John - 11 points
  7. CeeLo - 10 points
  8. Pharrell - 10 points
  9. Gwen - 9 points
  10. Usher - 9 points
  11. Miley - 3 points
  12. Nick - 3 points
  13. Jennifer - 2 points
  14. Shakira - 0 points

NOTES:

• Blake absolutely dominated this lmao - even compared to the next longest-running coach (Adam), he more than doubled Adam's point total. 
  • If we take the placements that add up to the point total into consideration, Usher technically outranks Gwen since he has a win + runner up while she has a win + 2 fourth-placers. On the other hand, Pharrell is still below CeeLo even with him winning and CeeLo not, as he had a fourth place while CeeLo's lowest ranking-finalist was a third-placer.
  • Shakira remains the only coach to not make it on the board at some point in their coaching career.
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, VintageVoice said:

Taking the data from that ranking and doing my own (5 points for 1st, 4 for 2nd, 3 for 3rd, 2 for 4th, and 1 for 5th) - here's how that stacks up.

I was initially thinking about assigning points but I ultimately decided against it because the points system doesn't really take into account how many seasons a coach has been on the show for. For instance, I assigned Usher 6th place because he had a winner (Josh Kaufman in S6) and a runner-up (Michelle Chamuel in S4). However, in your ranking, he's only 10th place because he has only coached for 2 seasons so he wouldn't have accumulated as many points as someone like Gwen who has coached for five seasons and counting. 🧐

To be fair, Shakira would've had a finalist in season 6 (Kristen Merlin) if it was a top 4 finale that season instead of just a top 3 finale. 😌

Edited by disney1024
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, disney1024 said:

I was initially thinking about assigning points but I ultimately decided against it because the points system doesn't really take into account how many seasons a coach has been on the show for. For instance, I assigned Usher 6th place because he had a winner (Josh Kaufman in S6) and a runner-up (Michelle Chamuel in S4). However, in your ranking, he's only 10th place because he has only coached for 2 seasons. 🧐

To be fair, Shakira would've had a finalist in season 6 (Kristen Merlin) if it was a top 4 finale that season instead of just a top 3 finale. 😌

I tried a points system because I wanted to see how it shifted rankings - unfortunately, being on the show for less time penalizes people which is why it's not the best representation of who's a good coach vs. who's not.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VintageVoice said:

I tried a points system because I wanted to see how it shifted rankings - unfortunately, being on the show for less time penalizes people which is why it's not the best representation of who's a good coach vs. who's not.

Don't get me wrong, it's interesting that you did it. But like you said, it's probably not the best representation of coach performance. 😅

Edited by disney1024

26 minutes ago, Hamza Tufail said:

Blake is the GOAT. That's it.

There's no denying Blake's excellent track record, even if Team Minivan is mostly responsible for that. However, I still prefer Kelly. Like Blake, Kelly managed to win 3 of her first 4 seasons and she won multiple seasons in a row. I wouldn't be surprised if Kelly eventually catches up to Blake. 😌

2 hours ago, disney1024 said:

I still prefer Kelly. Like Blake, Kelly managed to win 3 of her first 4 seasons and she won multiple seasons in a row. I wouldn't be surprised if Kelly eventually catches up to Blake. 😌

Yeah we all have our preferences. Kelly is your favorite, Blake is mine.

2 hours ago, disney1024 said:

There's no denying Blake's excellent track record, even if Team Minivan is mostly responsible for that.

I disagree with this part. I don't think Minivan liked Chloe and Jermaine much. Blake can win even if his contestant is not minivan-bait. But for Kelly, she needs a contestant that resonates well with the main audience. I bet Blake would've won with Brynn, Chevel and Hoot. But Kelly would've never won with Jermaine, and Chloe.

7 hours ago, Hamza Tufail said:

I disagree with this part. I don't think Minivan liked Chloe and Jermaine much. Blake can win even if his contestant is not minivan-bait.

Jermaine was in season 2. The Minivan effect didn't exist back then. 

Contestants on Team Blake have an advantage because they're on Team Blake, which attracts Team Minivan (i.e. country music lovers). There's a reason why Blake almost always have multiple finalists and why said finalists usually end up as the runner-up or in 3rd place. Team Minivan tends to vote for the coach, not the artists themselves. It's like Lady Gaga fans (i.e. the Little Monsters) promoting the movie "A Star Is Born" because Lady Gaga starred in it, not because it was a good movie (which it was). I'm not saying that Chloe didn't deserve to win because I loved her and she definitely did deserve to win (bad move Miley 🤦🏾‍♂️). The only of Blake's 7 wins that were undeserved were Craig (S7) and Todd (S18) imo. Matt and Toneisha/Thunderstorm should've won their respective seasons instead. 😒

Edited by disney1024

51 minutes ago, disney1024 said:

Jermaine was in season 2. The Minivan effect didn't exist back then. 

Contestants on Team Blake have an advantage because they're on Team Blake, which attracts Team Minivan (i.e. country music lovers). There's a reason why Blake almost always have multiple finalists and why said finalists usually end up as the runner-up or in 3rd place. Team Minivan tends to vote for the coach, not the artists themselves. It's like Lady Gaga fans (i.e. the Little Monsters) promoting the movie "A Star Is Born" because Lady Gaga starred in it, not because it was a good movie (which it was). I'm not saying that Chloe didn't deserve to win because I loved her and she definitely did deserve to win (bad move Miley 🤦🏾‍♂️). The only of Blake's 7 wins that were undeserved were Craig (S7) and Todd (S18) imo. Matt and Toneisha/Thunderstorm should've won their respective seasons instead. 😒

Minivan didn't exist during S2 but Blake still won. Also it's not the country lovers that always vote for Blake. Ricky, Todd, Chris Kroeze and Jim all weren't country. I don't think Ricky, Jim and Chris K were minivan-bait. But they still did a great job. Blake knows how to choose great songs that will earn votes.

Kelly is great too. She's probably one of the top 3 best coaches ever(the other two being Blake and Usher).

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Hamza Tufail said:

Minivan didn't exist during S2 but Blake still won. Also it's not the country lovers that always vote for Blake. Ricky, Todd, Chris Kroeze and Jim all weren't country. I don't think Ricky, Jim and Chris K were minivan-bait. But they still did a great job. Blake knows how to choose great songs that will earn votes.

Kelly is great too. She's probably one of the top 3 best coaches ever(the other two being Blake and Usher).

I didn't say that Blake isn't a great coach. He is an amazing coach who really knows how to navigate this competition setting. Kelly, Alicia, and Usher are also phenomenal coaches. That being said, Blake's success on the show — especially in recent seasons — is mainly attributed to Team Minivan. Blake is a famous and well-liked country artist. Therefore, Team Minivan — who are country music lovers — will vote for Team Blake. Team Minivan is extremely loyal to Blake, to many viewers' frustration. If it weren't for Team Minivan, there's no way that Blake would've had an artist in the top 2 every single season except S5 and S14 (17 out of 19 seasons). In seasons 3 and 18, he had both the winner AND the runner-up. 😒

BTW, Jim was definitely Minivan bait. Ricky not so much but he was still on Team Blake. He probably wouldn't have have done as well on another team. Because of the association with Blake, literally any artist on his team could potentially get to the finale, regardless of how much talent they actually have. Blake could probably get a potato to the finale lol 😂

Edited by disney1024

13 minutes ago, disney1024 said:

I didn't say that Blake isn't a great coach. He is an amazing coach who really knows how to navigate this competition setting. Kelly, Alicia, and Usher are also phenomenal coaches. That being said, Blake's success on the show — especially in recent seasons — is mainly attributed to Team Minivan. Blake is a famous and well-liked country artist. Therefore, Team Minivan — who are country music lovers — will vote for Team Blake. Team Minivan is extremely loyal to Blake, to many viewers' frustration. If it weren't for Team Minivan, there's no way that Blake would've had an artist in the top 2 every single season except S5 and S14 (17 out of 19 seasons). In seasons 3 and 18, he had both the winner AND the runner-up. 😒

BTW, Jim was definitely Minivan bait. Ricky not so much but he was still on Team Blake. He probably wouldn't have have done as well on another team. Because of the association with Blake, literally any artist on his team could potentially get to the finale, regardless of how much talent they actually have. Blake could probably get a potato to the finale lol 😂

I don't think Minivan only voted for TB. If tgey find a country artist on some other team them they'll support him/her despite him/her not being on TB(See HOOT).

I totally see your point. I love Blake so I'm biased and I actually like when Blake's Fan vote for his contestants no matter what. 😂😂😂

7 hours ago, Hamza Tufail said:

I don't think Minivan only voted for TB. If they find a country artist on some other team them they'll support him/her despite him/her not being on TB.

Chevel and Jake are excellent examples of that. Kenzie will most likely be next lol 😂

I don't mind Blake winning 6-7 seasons, especially considering the fact that he's been on the show for several millennia. I just don't like him in the top 2 every single season. It gets too boring and predictable. That's why I enjoyed season 14 because the top 2 were between Kelly and Alicia. 😍

Edited by disney1024
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

You could always divide points by seasons coached to create an avg per season

But also the real area where Blake dominates isn't wins, it's second and thirds. Obviously, he has the most wins, but other coaches can and do win (Kelly), what separates Blake is the seasons he doesn't win, he's still placing people, often multiple people high. Kelly is more feast or famine. If she doesn't have the winner, she's often off the board (or would've been without format changes). 

Also format changes do skew this. John would most likely not have had finalists in some of these seasons if not for the changes.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, seak05 said:

Also format changes do skew this. John would most likely not have had finalists in some of these seasons if not for the changes.

Even if the S18/S19 format slightly skewed the results, #7 is still a reasonable place to put John. He's not that bad of a coach imo. 😌

9 hours ago, disney1024 said:

@Bk1234, I kinda want to hear your opinion since you have a lot of experience ranking people lol 😂

~I’ve been summoned~ 

I think in order to have a proper coach ranking you have to look at multiple factors. For one, you have to look at their number of wins AND the amount of time they were on the show as a coach. For example, Adam won three times out of the SIXTEEN seasons he was on (~19%), while Kelly won three times out of the six seasons she has been on (50%.) However, in order to be even more accurate you could measure how many times the coach had either the winner OR runner-up (Kelly- 50%, Adam- ~38%) As others have mentioned, recent format changes have kind of skewed this, but it’s also important to look at a coach’s ability to get someone to make the finale. Blake, for example, can pretty much get anyone he wants in the finale, whereas Kelly needs a Minivan bait contestant in order to do so and win. Another important aspect is to see how the coach supports/supported their contestants during AND after the show. For example, Adam during Christina Grimmie’s performances vs. Robegate (I would also look at a coach’s decisions on the show. 😉)🙃 Additionally, I would also look at a coach’s entertainment value (as this is a TV show.) 

***All calculations could be wrong***

Using this criteria (as well as considering which teams my favorite contestants were on :giggle:), Kelly, Blake, and Christina would be top tier, followed by Miley, Alicia, Gwen, and Nick (though to be honest, Nick’s placement could change for better or worse depending on S20.) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bk1234 said:

However, in order to be even more accurate you could measure how many times the coach had either the winner OR runner-up (Kelly- 50%, Adam- ~38%) As others have mentioned, recent format changes have kind of skewed this, but it’s also important to look at a coach’s ability to get someone to make the finale.

Thank you for the feedback! That is greatly appreciated! 😊

Admittedly, my coach ranking focuses mostly on a coach’s ability to get someone to make the finale, since it looks at how many finalists each coach has. However, it also takes into account how many times the coach had either the winner OR runner-up, which is why I ranked Adam higher than Kelly despite them having the same number of wins. Adam had 3 runner-ups and Kelly had none thus far. It's also why Alicia, Christina, and Usher are all ranked so high since they all had one winner and one runner-up each. Without the team quotas format, a coach's ability to get one of their artists to the finale strongly depends on (a) their decision-making ability, and (b) how well their artists connect to the audience in a way that would garner votes for them. 🧐

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bk1234 said:

Using this criteria (as well as considering which teams my favorite contestants were on :giggle:), Kelly, Blake, and Christina would be top tier, followed by Miley, Alicia, Gwen, and Nick (though to be honest, Nick’s placement could change for better or worse depending on S20.) 

In my ranking, Blake is obviously #1, Kelly is #3, and Christina is #5. Also, Alicia is #4 because she had a winner, runner-up, AND third-placer. If those are who you think should be top tier, then I still did a pretty good job overall imo. 😌 

Edited by disney1024
  • Like 1

Another important aspect is to see how the coach supports/supported their contestants during AND after the show. For example, Adam during Christina Grimmie’s performances vs. Robegate (I would also look at a coach’s decisions on the show. 😉)🙃Additionally, I would also look at a coach’s entertainment value.

I tried to avoid these factors because they're highly subjective and I wanted an objective ranking. In a subjective ranking, I wouldn't put Adam at #2 lol 😜

If I look at entertainment value, which is an important aspect of any good TV show, that's highly subjective. Some people find Nick boring but I don't. I'm starting to find John boring (because he's been on the show for 4 consecutive seasons) but some people enjoy his presence on the show. 😅

• Like 1

I think in order to have a proper coach ranking you have to look at multiple factors. For one, you have to look at their number of wins AND the amount of time they were on the show as a coach. For example, Adam won three times out of the SIXTEEN seasons he was on (~19%), while Kelly won three times out of the six seasons she has been on (50%.)

I was once thinking about doing win percentages but I ultimately decided against it because I didn't want to overcomplicate things. It's still a good idea though. 😅

Without team quotas, I don't think my rankings aren't too affected by someone being on the show longer. For instance, Usher is #6 despite only having been on the show for 2 seasons. That being said, being on the show longer can help a coach "improve" their ranking. For example, Gwen was #12 (under Miley and Nick) before the season 19 finale and John was tied with Pharrell. Gwen's win (Carter) and John's 5th placer (John H.) helped improve their rankings. 🧐

~I’ve been summoned~ 

I know you're not fond of Adam but, other than that, none of my rankings are too controversial imo. We both love Nick and Miley but I think they both need more time on the show to prove themselves and their coaching abilities. The same goes for JHud and Shakira, who objectively are the worst coaches on the show. 🤔

For the record, Nick, Miley, JHud, and Shakira are some of my favourite coaches lol 😅

• Haha 1