AI19 Hopes & Predictions

Idol Maniac

12 hours ago, mytake1 said:

Idol is no longer in the position to launch the big careers.  Tori Kelly never even made it through the voting rounds.  Gabby Barrett said it was really difficult to get sign after Idol.  She luck out with a great song.

Also, Gabby Barrett lucked out on one song with a well known singer songwriter (Charlie Puth). That has helped her gain recognition and will get her more fans. She definitely had the right connections and it will help her put out more number one singles. Charlie Puth was actually the one who reached out to Gabby Barrett after releasing I Hope.

Edited by anticoronaperson

On 12/24/2020 at 4:23 PM, mytake1 said:

Scotty's had some chart success, but he has never morphed into a big Country star.  To be an effective mentor, you need to have a broad knowledge and appreciation of different music genres.  Scotty has never shown that.

Adam Lambert mentored in Season 9 after being off the show for not even a year. He hadn’t been established yet. So if anything Scotty can give the perspective of a former idol contestant and someone who has been in their shoes.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, countrynineteen said:

Adam Lambert mentored in Season 9 after being off the show for not even a year. He hadn’t been established yet. So if anything Scotty can give the perspective of a former idol contestant and someone who has been in their shoes.

Oh I totally forgot about that. Now that you mentioned it, I agree with your reasoning for Scotty McCreery being a mentor on American Idol next season.

On 12/25/2020 at 2:50 AM, anticoronaperson said:

Also, Gabby Barrett lucked out on one song with a well known singer songwriter (Charlie Puth). That has helped her gain recognition and will get her more fans. She definitely had the right connections and it will help her put out more number one singles. Charlie Puth was actually the one who reached out to Gabby Barrett after releasing I Hope.

It helped that she and Charlie Puth are on the same record label.   None of it guarantees she will put out more number one singles. 

Edited by mytake1

15 hours ago, countrynineteen said:

That can apply to a lot of alums - and not specific to Scotty.

15 hours ago, mytake1 said:

It helped that she and Charlie Puth are on the same record label.   None of it guarantees she will put out more number one singles. 

You’re right that it doesn’t guarantee it. I didn’t know they were part of the same record label. I remember Charlie Puth said in an interview that he heard the original song on the radio and then direct messaged her to ask her to be on the remix version. Gabby Barrett pretty much shared the same story as well.

Edited by anticoronaperson

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t know how, but it is my hope that the show tributes Nikki McKibbin somehow. Whether they decide to put her in the intro of the first episode of American Idol Season 19 or they just have the Top 12 or Top 13 finalists do Nikki McKibbin songs as a theme for a week where the contestants perform a song that Nikki McKibbin did on American Idol or a song that she released herself after American Idol.

3 minutes ago, anticoronaperson said:

I don’t know how, but it is my hope that the show tributes Nikki McKibbin somehow. Whether they decide to put her in the intro of the first episode of American Idol Season 19 or they just have the Top 12 or Top 13 finalists do Nikki McKibbin songs as a theme for a week where the contestants perform a song that Nikki McKibbin did on American Idol or a song that she released herself after American Idol.

I highly doubt they’ll do anything, but we can dream. 🥺🤞

• Like 1

These are the songs that Nikki McKibbin performed on American Idol in addition to I Say A Little Prayer by Aretha Franklin during group round in Hollywood Week because that year the contestants who made it to Group Round that season had to sing I Say A Little Prayer if they were a girl and all the guys had to sing For Once In My Life By Stevie Wonder. Anyway, here are her other American Idol performances.

Round Song choice Original artist Theme Result
Audition N/A Advanced
Pasadena audition "Unchained Melody" The Righteous Brothers N/A Advanced
Semi-final "Total Eclipse of the Heart" Bonnie Tyler N/A Advanced
Top 10 "Ben" Michael Jackson Motown Bottom 3
Top 8 "Piece of My Heart" Janis Joplin The 1960s Safe
Top 7 "Heartbreaker" Pat Benatar The 1970s Bottom 3
Top 6 "Hard Hearted Hannah (The Vamp of Savannah)" Ella Fitzgerald Big Band Bottom 3
Top 5 "(There's) Always Something There to Remind Me" Lou Johnson Burt Bacharach Bottom 2
Top 4
  • The 1980s
  • The 1990s
Bottom 2
Top 3 Ju

Just now, anticoronaperson said:

These are the songs that Nikki McKibbin performed on American Idol in addition to I Say A Little Prayer by Aretha Franklin during group round in Hollywood Week because that year the contestants who made it to Group Round that season had to sing I Say A Little Prayer if they were a girl and all the guys had to sing For Once In My Life By Stevie Wonder. Anyway, here are her other American Idol performances.

Round Song choice Original artist Theme Result
Audition N/A Advanced
Pasadena audition "Unchained Melody" The Righteous Brothers N/A Advanced
Semi-final "Total Eclipse of the Heart" Bonnie Tyler N/A Advanced
Top 10 "Ben" Michael Jackson Motown Bottom 3
Top 8 "Piece of My Heart" Janis Joplin The 1960s Safe
Top 7 "Heartbreaker" Pat Benatar The 1970s Bottom 3
Top 6 "Hard Hearted Hannah (The Vamp of Savannah)" Ella Fitzgerald Big Band Bottom 3
Top 5 "(There's) Always Something There to Remind Me" Lou Johnson Burt Bacharach Bottom 2
Top 4
  • The 1980s
  • The 1990s
Bottom 2
Top 3 Ju

For Edge Of Seventeen, an exception can be made where a contestant can do Edge Of Midnight (Miley Cyrus Midnight Sky and Stevie Nicks Edge Of Seventeen).

3 hours ago, anticoronaperson said:

Idol doesn't do In Memoriam and she is not a big name whom contestants would be familiar with.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, anticoronaperson said:

Okay. Would you consider Michael Johns a big name whom contestants would be familiar with?

No, he was on the show 13 years ago.  A lot of contestants wouldn't have a clue since he didn't have a high profile career post Idol.

Edited by mytake1
  • Sad 1

It's nothing to slight these alumni who have passed...

Idol didn't say much when Michael Johns passed and they had plenty of opportunities on the show to do so... They just chose not to.

Nikki is no different sadly. They MIGHT mention her as a RIP at the end of an episode. That'll be it because AI has very much been "The show must go on let's be happy and forget the past!" :/ 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KelseyW said:

It's nothing to slight these alumni who have passed...

Idol didn't say much when Michael Johns passed and they had plenty of opportunities on the show to do so... They just chose not to.

Nikki is no different sadly. They MIGHT mention her as a RIP at the end of an episode. That'll be it because AI has very much been "The show must go on let's be happy and forget the past!" :/ 

I don't think they completely forget about the past. They choose which parts to remember and not remember.

• Like 1