The DWTS Dances Mini Rankdown (Season 5, Round 2)

*Amanda

SEASON 3 TOP 20

#5-1

5. "It Takes Two"

Freestyle By Mario Lopez & Karina Smirnoff

BeCNyMi.jpg

Watch Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEjEAgydEXE

IDF Victoria: 1/20

Diana: 3/20

Chris: 6/20

Kaley: 8/20
Lily: 8/20

Cam: 9/20

Alex: 10/20

Amanda: 10/20
Elliott: 10/20

Wally: 10/20

Sola: 12/20

Gigi: 13/20

CHRIS

This was a great freestyle but not as iconic as Emmitt & Cheryl's, in my opinion. 

LILY

Two killer Freestyles in the end. I was team Emmitt but Mario winning obviously would have been a great ending too. Brilliant end to his excellent season!

ALEX

I always felt this one was slightly overhyped. Obviously it was great, but it was never a 10 for me. I still love it and it deserved to make it to the end, but it's nowhere in the conversation of the best freestyle's of all time.

AMANDA

This was so good! I slightly prefer Emmitt's Freestyle, but this was amazing in its own right.

WALLY

It was so interesting how both Mario and Emmitt both did Hip-Hop style Freestyles. Mario has a number of standout dances and this Freestyle is certainly one of those. Mario came off so natural and like a professional in dancing this dance, as this does tie into his hip-hop dance background. I love the classic 90s dance moves they did. Mario did some really cool isolation hip hop dancing and I really loved the fast side by side dancing section they did together. :bobo: The lifts were really cool too.  I also really loved that part where he did some breakdancing too. :bobo: I think the was Karinas first time dancing hip-hop but she did well although this was definitely Mario’s shining moment (where he did out dance her).

4. "U Can't Touch This"

Freestyle by Emmitt Smith & Cheryl Burke

GrRdEO4.jpg

Watch Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPo41SUd5TA

Elliott: 1/20

Chris: 3/20

Wally: 3/20

Cam: 4/20

Sola: 5/20

Lily: 7/20

Alex: 9/20

Amanda: 9/20

Kaley: 9/20

Diana: 16/20

Gigi: 16/20

IDF Victoria: 17/20

CHRIS

When I think of DWTS's freestyle, this is one that comes to mind. #Iconic. 

WALLY

I think it’s very interesting how Emmitt and Mario both did Hip-Hop Freestyles. Both were great in their own ways. Mario’s was probably danced better but I always preferred Emmitt’s, because it was just straight up FUN. This dance is the definition of fun and have a good time! “U Can’t Touch This” was also a big favorite song of mine when I was a little kid, so that also helps. I do thick this was probably the best Emmitt has danced (Even though he danced his party Latin dances just as well). But he was really free and natural here. I loved all f their funky side by side dancing, then all of the lifts were impressive and SO fun! :omg: I LOST IT  when they broke out those Hammer moves. :dead: Look at Emmitt go! So quick and light on his feet. :omg: He was called Twinkle Toes for a reason, look at that footwork! Those were my favorite parts of the dance. Although I loved all the sequence of lifts they did too. I get Bruno’s comments on one of the lifts he kinda missed but eh didn’t ruin the dance for me. This is one of the dances that makes me SO happy when watching. Yeah I am sure this dance won him the competition. Thank you to Elliott bringing this to the finals, and I really hope it ranks well.

ALEX

Following Drew's Freestyle last season was impossible to live up to. Emmitt did amazing though! The side by side work was flawless, and every lift was pretty much on point. It'd be 9 and not a 10 for me unfortunately, but I still loved it.

AMANDA

What's great about this is is that it capitalizes on Emmitt's strengths as a performer. Emmitt was always at his best with the fun dances, so Cheryl gave him a fun Freestyle and it was a massive success!

3. "Ghostbusters"

Cha-Cha by Monique Coleman & Louis Van Amstel

9Heljda.png

Watch Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOdpMXooBAw

Cam: 1/20

Gigi: 3/20

Amanda: 4/20

Chris: 5/20

Lily: 6/20

Sola: 7/20

Alex: 8/20

Elliott: 9/20

Wally: 9/20

Kaley: 11/20

IDF Victoria: 13/20

Diana: 17/20

AMANDA

Monique SLAYS this. Seriously. So amazing and such a high note for her to go out on during the season. It deserved a perfect 30, so naturally Carrie Ann decided to give it a 9 because of course she does. LOL. Still, a fabulous dance that fit the Halloween theme perfectly. I'm glad to see it do so well in this.

CHRIS

My personal favourite from Monique & Louis; I always enjoyed Monique's personality coming through in all of her routines on top of giving it her all. 

LILY

So glad she at least got to go out on some 10s! This was probably my favorite routine from that first Halloween week honestly. So much fun to watch.

ALEX

Where was Monique's All-Stars spot? She gave me everything I wanted and more with this Cha-Cha.

WALLY

Monique & Louis delivered such a fantastic Cha-Cha to the classic “Ghostbusters” song here! It was funny seeing them in those ghostbusters outfits at the start but that did not last long, thankfully. :giggle: Monique is such a natural and dances so fantastic on these Latin dances. Not only that but she had showcased some fun and humor in how she performed this in spots. Monique had gray hip action, footwork an parenting skills all throughout the dance. I really loved all of the fast Cha-Cha-Cha dancing they did in hold, which was so cool. Then I also really over that section where they did all of that fast side by sir dancing and then went right into some fast paced Cha-Cha dancing. Dangg, that section was so sharp and precise, moreso than I ever remembered! :omg: The ending of the dance was so fun and exiting where Monique raps her leg around Louis and she does those little walk moves, and then he falls on her. Omgg that part was kinda scary but that means they sold the dance!

2. "Cancion Del Mariachi"

Paso Doble by Mario Lopez & Karina Smirnoff

32O2w9W.jpg

Watch Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QHjjfA_w5A

Lily: 2/20
Wally: 2/20

Alex: 3/20

Amanda: 3/20

Diana: 5/20

Kaley: 5/20

Cam: 6/20

IDF Victoria: 7/20

Sola: 8/20

Chris: 9/20

Gigi: 12/20

Elliott: 16/20

LILY

I mean... go OFF, Mario! God this is so good. Such a powerful performance, Mario hits every move to near perfection, and he and Karina make such a dynamic duo here. While I have some other routines in this top 20 that I love more on a sentimental basis, there is no denying this performance is just KILLER and deserves a high placement.

WALLY

After two controversial rule breaking dances, Mario & Karina came back so strong with this aunethic and traditional Paso Doble. And wow this dance was amazing and a real showstopper! Mario definitely owned the dance as he always does. He was so serious, intense and channeled the mandator character so well. The partnering dancing was really great - I love those parts where they only partner each other with one arm each. Then all of their side by side dancing was so sharp, strong and dynamic! :omg: All those kicks and the power they had. They sold the story so well of this dance. I loved the partnering dancing they did after that. Then Mario with those spins and the big leap in the ar and how he twirled Karina around and she went to the ground? SO much dramatic intensity but so flipping good. :omg: Such an incredible Paso Doble. This dance probably still remains one of my all-time favorite Pasos on the show! 

ALEX

I'm so glad the producers managed to get Mario on the show during his peak hotness. This dance was sexy, and passionate, and fierce. I always adore Mario's bitchface every time Len critiqued him ❤️ .

AMANDA

Was there ever any doubt that he would SLAY the Paso? After a few rough weeks where he was slammed by the judges for breaking the rules, he returned to his front-runner status with this amazing and flawless dance. This is just so good. Definitely one of Mario's best, of which he has a lot to choose from. So happy it made it all the way to #2 here because it really is such a great dance.

CHRIS

Essentially the routine that solidified his position as a contender for the mirrorball trophy.  And it's one of my favourite routines from Mario & Karina - not my favourite as you can figure out due to its ranking but a very good dance; I just never really connected to Mario the same way as I connected to Monique & Emmitt. 

1. "Whatever Lola Wants"

Tango by Mario Lopez & Karina Smirnoff

SxThJ9z.jpg

Watch Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM3W_sZBXa0

Alex: 1/20
Amanda: 1/20

Wally: 1/20

Chris: 2/20
Diana: 2/20

IDF Victoria: 2/20

Cam: 3/20
Lily: 3/20

Sola: 3/20

Gigi: 7/20

Kaley: 7/20

Elliott: 14/20

ALEX

Duh. I throw the word iconic around a lot, but this is ICONIC for a reason. Still one of the best Tango's ever on this show, if not the best.

AMANDA

As you can see, Mario's Tango really ran away with the win. And deservingly so. This dance is EVERYTHING. This was the redemption from a poorly-received Tango earlier in the season. I mean, the technique here is flawless. The end where they're just standing in one spot but doing all that intricate footwoork is just brilliant. And as always, the're so much chemistry between Mario & Karina. Just truly an iconic dance that deserves all the love and praise it receives. So happy that I was able to carry it into the Top 20 and its rightful win. :wub: 

WALLY

I was very glad that Mario had the chance to re-do his Tango on the semi-finals. His first Tango was good but was slated because of all of the breaking rules of breaking hold in dance (which is excused and ignored nowadays). But this showed Mario could deliver and dance such an incredible Tango. This Tango has EVERYTHING you want in a Tango. There was so much passionate chemistry from Mario & Karina here. They danced the whole dance, and it was all incredible and exciing to watch. Mario provided a great frame  and sharp staccato footwork. They moved and gelled as one so flawlessly. I love every second of this but a part that stands out is where Karina lowers herself and Mario spins her around. It was so interesting. Then one of my very favorite parts is all of the Argentine Tango footwork they do, which is so intricate and precise. That section of the dance was so flawless, as was the whole dance. :omg: This Mario & Karina Tango always stands out as my favorite dance of Season 3, and this Tango is probably my favorite Tango on the show! Thank you to Amanda for protecting and bringing this dance to the finals! ❤️ 

CHRIS

Not only is this my favourite from Mario's, this is also Mario's best routine - a perfect score for a perfect routine; I think this routine will easily finish in the Top 5 and wouldn't be surprise if it wins. 

LILY

Iconic. This feels like Mario's defining moment, obviously got a lot of love in seasons to come, and rightfully so. Totally dominated the performance and redeemed himself from the first Tango.

Edited by *Amanda

• *Amanda changed the title to The DWTS Dances (Mini) Rankdown (Season 3, #5-1 Posted)

- Oooh Mario’s Frestyle came in at #5. 😮 If only this and his Mambo would have swapped spots but oh well. :dead: Interesting seeing so many #10 rankings - 4 of them.

- Oooh I am happy that Emmitt’s Freestyle outranked Mario’s as I prefer Emmitt’s more. And also happy that this exceeded my expectation of the #5 prediction too. I hope Elliott appreciates my #3 ranking. 😘

- Happy for Monique’s Cha-Cha coming in 3rd. I knew this would rank high and deservingly so, even if I do prefer a number of dances over this. Still is fantastic and worthy of its 10s. Love everyone’s comments here. ❤️

- Yayy very happy for Mario’s Paso coming in at #2…and with no #1s backing it up too. 😮 Love and agree with Lilys an Amanda’s comments here. lol Alexs last sentence. :haha: Although where is Chris’ ranking here? 😮

- Whoa DANGGGG @ that 3.8 for Mario’s Tango! :omg: So glad this is #1 because this dane really was THE DANCE of the season by a longshot. Slay at those 3 #1s, 3 #2 and 3 #3 rankings! :clap: All of the comments said it all so perfectly. omgg Elliott being the only one not to rank this in his Top 10  and being the lowest ranker for this. :dead: I MEAN…. at least it’s not his #20 winning but gosh this guy has such a terrible track record in these mini rankdowns. :dead:

Pleased with this final result. This was a really fun season to re-live through. ❤️

8 hours ago, *Wallace said:

Hmmm this is hard to predict but going with this for now....

5. Emmitt's Freestyle - cause his dances often get overlooked/under-ranked. Though i know I am guilty of that with two of his dances.

4. Mario's Freestyle

3. Monique's Cha-Cha

2. Mario's Paso 

1. Mario's Tango

But yayy two of my favorite Mario dances, my favorite Emmitt dance and 2nd fave Monique dance are all in there. :wub:  And ranking wise I think this means my #1, #2, #3, #9 and #10 are all remaining. :haha: 

Oooh I predicted the Top 3 right! :bobo: I was wrong on the Freestyles. But yay called it at 3 out of 5 here, haha.

48 minutes ago, *Wallace said:

LMAO. This is all becoming too predictable at this point. :dead: 

I wasn’t even tanking it. :dead: I did my rankings quickly because I was hitting the deadline and I only really cared about Emmitt. :rofl:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Elliott said:

I wasn’t even tanking it. :dead: I did my rankings quickly because I was hitting the deadline and I only really cared about Emmitt. :rofl:

This season really was not a good one for you with you only really caring about Emmitt and then 3/4 of his dances being tanked. :dead: 

Just now, *Amanda said:

This season really was not a good one for you with you only really caring about Emmitt and then 3/4 of his dances being tanked. :dead: 

And now we get to S4 where Cheryl’s partner was Him and a Hough won.

200.gif

11 hours ago, *Amanda said:

Elliott *did* get a Kelly dance to win season 1, but yeah, his luck hasn’t been good these past two seasons. :dead:

LOL at least he got that. :dead:  

11 hours ago, Elliott said:

Ooh i didn't really think you were. I know you only really cared about Emmitt and figured everyone else's rankings were random. :haha: 

10 hours ago, *Amanda said:

I can't really speak for everyone but I'd like to think everyone ranked properly of how they feel on the dances. It's such a refreshing difference from the Idol mini rankdown where lots of tanking happen there. 🙈 i think his lower rankings came in because the list of dances were so stacked (the case for me) or people don't care for him/his dances.

Although I could be wrong and there could have been some tanking going on. But nothing came out obvious to me like Elliott tanking Stacy's dances in S2. :haha: