What has changed?

Dai

I know a lot of people complain that AA women don’t win the show (I do too), but until S14 we didn’t have one of them make finale, and now it seems some of them make the finale without too much trouble. Which is weird because in the past they had issues making it even past playoffs. So what has changed over time? Do you think we could have our first AA woman winner in the near future?

PS: Mostly talking about the divas.

Edited by Daillon

22 minutes ago, Daillon said:

I know a lot of people complain that AA women don’t win the show (I do too), but until S14 we didn’t have one of them make finale, and now it seems some of them make the finale without too much trouble. Which is weird because in the past they had issues making it even past playoffs. So what has changed over time? Do you think we could have our first AA woman winner in the near future?

Without a country dude/teen for sure they will finally have. But I can't see it as of the moment.

For the first statement, I think because the society is changing and kind of being more appreciative when it comes to AA woman, AA woman on this show tends to go really far. And also, add the movement that happened in this year, I think it will really make a change for all reality shows, especially a singing show like The Voice

• Like 4

4 hours ago, anonymouskid_35 said:

Without a country dude/teen for sure they will finally have. But I can't see it as of the moment.

For the first statement, I think because the society is changing and kind of being more appreciative when it comes to AA woman, AA woman on this show tends to go really far. And also, add the movement that happened in this year, I think it will really make a change for all reality shows, especially a singing show like The Voice

I agree with all of this.

I also want to add one crucial factor, though: several of the Black women who have done well in the past few seasons have been on Team Blake. That helps A LOT, especially when the show plays up the whole aspect of them being a charming and unlikely pairing. (For example, Kyla was my Season 14 snowflake instantly; her audition floored me. I was puzzled at her decision to choose Blake; it made zero sense to me at the time when Kelly had turned as well. But those two were a strategic power duo during the whole show. Until the finale, they were unstoppable. Kyla won default votes for being on Team Blake alone, plus other votes for being absolutely astonishingly good. And I don't think she would have succeeded otherwise for multiple reasons, as incredible as she was. Seconding all of that for Toneisha Harris.)

And another one, Rose Short, was on Team Gwen, which is for obvious reasons tied really closely to Team Blake. AND she got to sing one of Blake's songs during the season. Blake even stood up in the middle of her semifinals performance and didn't sit down until the standing ovation - and he stood up again during her Instant Save performance, even when one of his singers was in the Instant Save, too. That kind of stuff makes a difference for a lot of people. Blake's influence on this show is pretty considerable.

Overall, though, I've noticed that fortunately, people are growing progressively more intolerant to those who argue that all black women in singing competitions do is scream and holler. People are starting to appreciate the depth of black female contestants' vocals beyond just saying that they scream. I still see it every now and then, but FAR more often, I see them referred to as "queens" and talked about in a positive light. Something is changing! 😄

• Like 5

it’s honestly so strange, i went YEARS without one of my favs coming even close to the finale, and then from season 14 and on we’ve seen Kyla, Rose, and Toneisha all come so close to winning. i pray we get to see a powerhouse black woman win in the coming seasons!💕 the only female winner i can think of who is a powerhouse r&b/soul singer was Tessanne, and i barely watched her season so i didn’t even get to rejoice in having a diva vocalist win😭

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, AngelaKD said:

Are you excluding Koryn Hawthorne and We McDonald because of their ages? 

And the continued refusal of IDF to acknowledge that Tessanne Chin self-identifies as a Black woman astounds me.

I guess I should have specified adult women. 

And I didn’t know that regarding Tess. She doesn’t look African-American so I think my point still stands.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, AngelaKD said:

And the continued refusal of IDF to acknowledge that Tessanne Chin self-identifies as a Black woman astounds me.

i think the viewing audience takes to younger black women much better than they do older ones. see the two that you mentioned compared to people like sisaundra lewis and amanda brown

as far as tessanne goes, she's asian-passing which gives her inherent privilege compared to other black women on the show, especially those who are dark-skinned

Edited by ungodlyhour
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, AngelaKD said:

She's black but not African American bc she's Jamaican. No African American woman has ever won The Voice. Toneisha came close though 🤷🏽‍♂️

Edited by disney1024

3 hours ago, ungodlyhour said:

as far as tessanne goes, she's asian-passing which gives her inherent privilege compared to other black women on the show, especially those who are dark-skinned

exactly. people don't think of racism as in "let me ask what race they are to see if they're african," they think of it as "they look like what i stereotypically consider to be this race." i've experienced this in my own life when people assume i'm of a different race than i am because of how i look, and i have received racist comments as a result. the same thing occurs in this case i think (although vice-versa).

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ungodlyhour said:

Tessanne Chin are probably the only Asian-passing contestant that doesn’t have any of her performances montaged 😅 You maybe talking about voting-wise, but considering how the producers has been treating asian contestants, I dont think Asian-passing is a privilege.

On another note, The best choice for Our robbed queens is picking Blake apparently. I have never seen him dropping any “divas” black female Pre-top 12. Dana Harper (Even though she is not really diva-ish) and Courtney Harrell would probably be eliminated in the battles had they chose another coach.

4 hours ago, tjdo9999 said:

Tessanne Chin are probably the only Asian-passing contestant that doesn’t have any of her performances montaged 😅 You maybe talking about voting-wise, but considering how the producers has been treating asian contestants, I dont think Asian-passing is a privilege.

On another note, The best choice for Our robbed queens is picking Blake apparently. I have never seen him dropping any “divas” black female Pre-top 12. Dana Harper (Even though she is not really diva-ish) and Courtney Harrell would probably be eliminated in the battles had they chose another coach.

oh definitely! i'm not saying being asian or asian-passing means the show is easier compared to everyone else, as asian contestants getting double/triple montaged is a huge issue. but historically, being asian fares better with the voters than being black (albeit not many asian contestants make it to the lives in the first place) and tessanne is a prime example of that

• Like 1

I bet we will have the first AA woman winning if she:

A- is a teenager;

B- joins Blake's team;

C- sings country well and

D- receives pimp treatment from TPTB, while other country acts fail.

Edited by eidi

On 12/3/2020 at 4:40 PM, AngelaKD said:

They forgot about Aliyah Moulden too. 

• Like 1