Pokémon Rankdown 2.0 - Winner Announced!! Page 368

.Rei

Glameow

Glameow Appreciation Post | Pokémon Amino

Honestly, there's not much to Glameow. It's a normal type cat that evolves into another normal type cat. We've been here and done this with Meowth and Skitty by this point in the series. But cat Pokemon are probably very popular in Japan I imagine, so they will keep making more. Of all the cat Pokemon, Glameow looks most like my pet cat! So he's got that going for him. I believe we already eliminated Purugly from the rankdown. Glameow evolves and becomes obese, using its long tail as a cincher to make it look muscular. Glameow is obviously way superior to Purugly so congrats on getting further in this game. I've never bothered to train a Glameow so I don't know its moveset, let's take a look. As usual, mostly normal type attacks with some dark and fairy mixed in. Play Rough, Sucker Punch, Slash? Not bad choices for attacks with varied types. Plus one more slot for a stat-changing move, or a random typed TM attack like U-Turn, Shadow Claw, Thunderbolt... could be worse, I'm almost impressed.

6 hours ago, Solaris said:

Stealing my balls is making me rethink my nominations.

You literally said you weren’t using any. I could understand if you were going to use them and I don’t think others are going to go out of there way to target your favorites this round. At least I know I wasn’t and didn’t. 

Smeargle

Monotype - Smeargle (Normal) (QC 3/3) (GP 2/2) | Smogon Forums

Smeargle is probably the one Gen II Pokemon that I don't care for. I generally try to avoid nominating from Gen I and Gen II just because I know there's other rankers who will focus on those generations, so I don't feel like I need to pile on. But I made an exception for Smeargle. I just don't really like anything about it. I think it has a weird design, weird gimmick, it doesn't evolve, it's a normal type, it's annoying to find/catch in the game, it's not good competitively.. there's just not enough here to keep me interested. It splooges out colorful liquid and wipes it on things. "Smear" is just an ugly word in general. Its head is shaped like a French beret. I generally think it's creepy when a Pokemon's skin/body is shaped like clothes but isn't actually clothes. Anyway, Smeargle's thing is that it has a signature move: Sketch. Smeargle is the only one who learns it, and it's the only move it can learn (can't use TMs etc.), and it re-learns the move every 10 levels. Sketch copies another Pokemon's move permanently. Like, you use "Sketch" on a Pidget who used "Gust" and "Sketch" changes to "Gust" permanently and Smeargle can use Gust now unless you teach it something else and forget Gust. An interesting concept, but here's why it doesn't work for me: (1) I can't really imagine/picture how Smeargle magically can use any move because of some weird magic tail splooge, and (2) Smeargle has garbage stats and no STAB benefits so it's not worth it to try to find moves for it to steal. 

10 minutes ago, 1234567890 said:

You literally said you weren’t using any. I could understand if you were going to use them and I don’t think others are going to go out of there way to target your favorites this round. At least I know I wasn’t and didn’t. 

I was saving incase people nominated my favs in the later rounds.

Corvisquire

Custom 3D Animated Renders | Page 11 | Smogon Forums

Pidgeotto. Staravia. Tranquill. Fletchinder. Trumbeak. Corvisquire is another middle evolution for the starter bird Pokemon in the games. I believe its the last one standing from that list, so congrats. Pidgeotto is an icon and a meme, but I think Corvisquire is very cool and don't mind it ranking highest of the bunch. Corvisquire is actually pure flying type! Tornadus, Rookidee, and Corvisquire are the only three Pokemon that are pure flying with no other types. I've mentioned this before but I think they should have been doing this since the beginning of the series... Pidgey and Spearow should have been pure flying, Doduo should have been pure normal, and Farfetch'd should have been either pure flying (and learn Razor Wind by level up) or flying/grass or something. If you combine all my write-ups I'm sure you'd be able to eventually put together my entire revisions for typing in Red/Blue to make it the best game of all time. Anyway, back to Corvisquire. As cool as pure flying is, when it evolves at level 38 that goes away and it gets an added steel type. Thankfully it turns into something cooler than Skarmory or else I'd be really mad about redundancy there. It doesn't learn any Steel moves as Corvisquire, but it picks up Steel Wing whenever you evolve it. But honestly, Steel Wing is not the greatest move and you should probably just TM it away for Iron Head. 

Skwovet

Skwovet GIF by doctorgecko | Gfycat

Skwovet is the starter mouse thingy for Gen VIII. Like Rattata, Sentret, Zigzagoon, Bidoof, Patrat, Bunnelby, Yungoos. And Skwovet is the last one standing for the base forms. Many congrats to Skwovet and to Gen VIII for this illustrious title. For some reason, everyone really really hates Skwovet's evolution, Greedent. Skwovet turns from a happy fat squirrel to a big fat squirrel. I'm going to be honest and say I love squirrels and I love Greedent lol. But as a Pokemon, this line is what you expect from the starter mouse thingies: normal type, evolves once, generally useless unless your game has HMs that you need fodder to teach to. While Bunnelby and Bidoof gain additional typing, Skwovet remains normal type when it evolves. Its moveset it mostly what you'd expect, but it does learn Bullet Seed which I think is hilarious and it learns Belch at level 45 (55 for Greedent).