DWTS 29 Week 2 Discussion Thread

*Lily

Yeah I watched the show later last night... but saw via wiki and was really surprised and heartbroken with skai's scores. :( The mistake was obvious and sad to see - but at least one 6 in there would have been nice. Never expected Carole to best her in points or Charles to tie with her.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Elliott said:

lol at me predicting Chrishell going home and she isn’t even in the B2

I thought she was gonna B2 over Carole. #bless that didn't happen.

14 hours ago, Solaris said:

Carol is actually in the bottom 2? I didn't expect that.

I didn't either. 

14 hours ago, Solaris said:

We love a first boot Emma.

Boy no. 

14 hours ago, CarmenSandiego said:

I’m not too upset Carole stuck around.  Maybe she’ll be in danger next time.

14 hours ago, DWTSFan2001 said:

Well, at least Carole isn't getting the votes unlike a certain friend last season.

Can we make sure that Emma's next partner is under 35 and ideally has dance experience? It's beyond unfair at this point that she's had so many no-hopers.

This is all really good to know of Carole's lack of fanbase. I really thought we might be stuck with her for weeks. I'm ~fine with her staying over Charles this week as they are interchangeable in dance ability and she did improve. But gosh she better go next week. 🙈

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ILuvCarrie4eva said:

~My Dancing with the Stars 29 Week 2 Review~

Preface- We saw out first 8, our first “injury”, and another rushed show.

1. Nev/Jenna (Cha Cha) 21/30: He clearly has trained in dance that isn’t being mentioned. No one moves their arms like that without training. Probably the most natural male celeb this season.  My score: 21/30

2. Skai/Alan (Samba) 15/30: They just can’t give Alan a good Samba song. He’s had two country songs, and then a Neyo song for a Samba. A shame about the leg trick mishap. It did throw her for a bit, but like Derek mentioned, she can comeback from this. My score: 17/30

3. Johnny/Britt (Tango) 18/30: I was surprised in a way with the messiness of the feet and posture from an ice skater. It was an interesting dance, but he needs to clean up the technique. My score: 17/30

4. Justina/Sasha (Foxtrot) 21/30: Justina is such a natural mover. She’s very emotive too when she dances, whether it’s joy like last week or more emotional like tonight. Her arms are incredible. Honestly deserved a higher score My score: 23/30

5. Monica/Val (Jive) 16/30: I’ve been a bit underwhelmed by Monica so far. I think I thought she’d be a little better. Granted this Jive didn’t have a lot of content, but Monica just needs to be challenged and perform more. My score: 16/30

6. AJ/Cheryl (Foxtrot) 19/30: It was pretty good, definitely performed it and well and was more comfortable, a bit too tricky for me, more time in proper ballroom hold. My score: 19/30

7. Anne/Keo (Foxtrot) 18/30: Anne needed a bit better posture, more stretched back and less clingy onto Keo, but she’s still a surprise in her dancing and how she’s approaching this competition. My score: 18/30

8. Nelly/Daniella (Cha Cha) 18/30: I actually thought this wasn’t a lot of a Cha Cha in content, it needed less Disco/smooth type of moves. He’s still a bit rough around the edges. My score: 17/30

9. Chrishell/Gleb (Rumba) 18/30: She’s a good dancer, and I’m glad she improved more. Still a bit of work to do with her transitions and arms, but much improved and glad the votes are giving her a chance. My score: 18/30

10. Charles/Emma (Cha Cha) 15/30: Very stiff, and just the height difference was tough. He just wasn’t a natural mover and too low key of a personality to stand out. He was the right pick to go home first. My score: 13/30

11. Jesse/Sharna (Foxtrot) 20/30: He still gives off a very “mean/serious” face when performing. It was a nice routine, a bit of technical issues, but a bit forgettable. My score: 18/30

12. Jeannie/Brandon (Cha Cha) 18/30: She’s till got tons of potential and she’s having fun on the dance floor. She’s someone I can see improving each week. But god I hate that song. My score: 19/30

13. Carole/Pasha (Viennese Waltz) 16/30: Well good for her she improved. My score: 14/30

14. Vernon/Peta (Paso Doble) 18/30: We Found Love is a great song but awful for a Paso, it suits a Cha Cha or Tango better. Paso needs a better song to build the tension and aggression. He was good, but a bit off time in spots. My score: 17/30

15. Kaitlyn/Artem (Foxtrot) 22/30: Enough with the will she, won’t she nonsense. Clearly the dance of the night even with a small stumble. She’s a great dancer and it’s so nice seeing Artem with someone who can really dance with a fan base. My score: 23/30

Great review as always, Matt!

I'll post my thoughts later.... but  was anyone else annoyed with how Tyra was hushing/rushing the judges comments and doing these long winded interviews with the couples? I'd rather hear more of the judges critiques on the dances and have a bit smaller chit chat time. This didn't seem noticeable last week like last night.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, *Amanda said:

The judges were extremely harsh with scores during the first hour and extremely generous in the second hour.

I feel like this is so common of them too :/ They love to start off with harsher scoring but they never stick to it! As soon as someone gets a 7, it feels like the gates open for lots of good scores :haha:

Edited by *Lily
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, *Wallace said:

I'll post my thoughts later.... but  was anyone else annoyed with how Tyra was hushing/rushing the judges comments and doing these long winded interviews with the couples? I'd rather hear more of the judges critiques on the dances and have a bit smaller chit chat time. This didn't seem noticeable last week like last night.

Yeah I'm watching it now and it's bugging me :haha: She's spent a lot of time telling the judges to keep it short, which I get because of how fast-paced the show is, but then she's asking for really elaborate answers from the stars? :dead: Particularly with AJ when she asked like 3 extra questions on his relationship with his wife... girl he's crying!

• Like 1

Week 2 rankings:

1. Kaitlyn & Artem - Foxtrot: Even with an injury... stand-out dance of the night!

2. Justina & Sasha - Foxtrot: Lovely to watch! I love how much she is enjoying the experience and she has such an infectious smile.

3. Nev & Jenna - Cha-Cha: Pleasantly surprised by this dance! I wasn't sure what Nev would be like in Latin, but I enjoyed this routine.

4. Jeannie & Brandon - Cha-Cha: Yayy really liked this dance! Whoops at them accidentally playing the booing sound effect at the start of the dance :dead: This is SUCH a fun partnership though and she had all the fun this dance needed.

5. AJ & Cheryl - Foxtrot: LMAO he is SO expressive :dead: I think he knows how to sell the dance and it was really entertaining. I think when they clean things up a little more they'll be great contenders.

6. Johnny & Britt - Tango: Obviously he knows how to sell it! I love these two as a pair. I thought sometimes it got a little wonky especially in the frame but a nice number.

7. Skai & Alan - Samba: I was nervous to watch this routine after seeing the scores/hearing about the stumble... but I still really liked it! The mistake was obviously very noticeable, and I think she was in her head a little afterwards. Saying that, I think she was able to pick it back up pretty well and sold it well.

8. Chrishell & Gleb - Rumba: Yay glad that Chrishell improved this week! This felt like it had much more Contemporary influence in Gleb's choreography, but I definitely feel like we saw less nerves and more emotion from Chrishell this week.

9. Jesse & Sharna - Foxtrot: I feel like he'll be good in a Paso Doble or something where his expressions will be a lot more fitting :haha: I thought this was promising and an improvement on last week, but definitely still needs work.

10. Nelly & Daniella - Cha-Cha: Really enjoying Daniella as a pro this season, I think she's giving Nelly fun choreography! He seems to be really enjoying himself but also still seems to find some of the moves a little awkward... that solo hip action section was very 'go on girl, give us nothing!'.

11. Vernon & Peta - Paso Doble: At the moment, he's one of the people I'm kinda forgetting about. Idk why since I really like him! Just not standing out too much for me in this bunch. I thought this was an improvement though!

12. Anne & Keo - Foxtrot: Aww this was a cute number. I wasn't really a fan of the song for the style, and I feel like there were times where she maybe lost some of the focus? Saying that, I think she has a great ballroom figure and I look forward to seeing more from her.

13. Monica & Val - Jive: This was cute, but I felt like she was a little in her head. As I can imagine so since like she said on IG, it's been a draining week. Some of the kicks and flicks felt a little low-energy.

14. Carole & Pasha - Viennese Waltz: Pasha's clearly a great teacher. By no means great but an improvement on last week.

15. Charles & Emma - Cha-Cha: I will say, for someone who's so out of their element I do think he does a great job at feeling the dance and enjoying himself. Emma's clearly such a great cheerleader too! It was still pretty rough but a fun dance for him to go out on.

30 minutes ago, *Lily said:

Yeah I'm watching it now and it's bugging me :haha: She's spent a lot of time telling the judges to keep it short, which I get because of how fast-paced the show is, but then she's asking for really elaborate answers from the stars? :dead: Particularly with AJ when she asked like 3 extra questions on his relationship with his wife... girl he's crying!

Lol yessss to all of this! :dead:  She was really wanting to get to the bottom of all the questions she asked, even with follow up questions. :haha: And lmao this was so true with AJ. :haha: 

8 minutes ago, *Lily said:

Week 2 rankings:

4. Jeannie & Brandon - Cha-Cha: Yayy really liked this dance! Whoops at them accidentally playing the booing sound effect at the start of the dance :dead: 

I noticed this too and was like "WTH is going on?" :dead:  Great review as always!

I'll post my thoughts too!

Nev & Jenna -  Cha-Cha: Ooh wow I was expecting him to not be good in Latin but this was a very good, fun and solid Cha-Cha. Really enjoyed this, as he had good technique here. He’s really surprising me. He’s not my personal favorite male but he’s been the best male celeb these two weeks so far.

Skai & Alan - Samba: Gah well love the song but it does not give a Samba feel… so the dance didn’t give that Samba feel. And that mistake was so sad and unfortunate. Sadly this was a letdown from last week. :( But she still danced it ok but it was a cute performance.

Johnny & Britt - Tango: This was an interesting routine but something seemed off to me. Johnny’s footwork didn’t seem that great and it seemed kinda messy and lacking the clean technique and quality. 

Justina & Sasha - Foxtrot: Justina surprised me once again and delivered a completely different side of her but another really good dance. This was so beautiful and elegant, and she moved just like those words.

Monica & Val - Jive: It’s been two weeks but both weeks I’ve been feeling indifferent towards Monica. This was bland and forgettable. Kicks & flicks were eh and she doesn’t seem to be progressing the fun yet.

AJ & Cheryl - Foxtrot: This was the most fun Foxtrot of the night, but it was one of the two to an upbeat song. This was a fun dance and he danced/performed this well. I did feel he did lack some rise & fall glide in his footwork but I liked it as a whole. 

Anne & Keo - Foxtrot: Ooh her frame and posture was quite bad, as she seemed hunched and clinging onto Keo. But with that said, the bottom half especially she danced well and had good smooth footwork. 

Nelly & Daniella - Cha-Cha: Nelly is such a fun and entertaining performer. This dance was a lot of fun. I still feel he has a stiff and tightness to him with his dancing and some of his footwork looked really weird.  Fun dance but needs to work on the technique.

Chrishell & Gleb - Rumba: If this wasn’t the most Contemporary-esque Rumba I’ve ever seen. :haha: Much improved from last week and I’m very happy for Chrishell for that. I thought she moved and performed beautifully. Some of the hip action was hard to see with the lighting and the part where the dance built, got a little hectic. But a step in the right direction. 

Charles & Emma - Cha-Cha: This was better than last week. But he was still quite stiff and not dancing it too well. I also noticed he barely/didn’t look at Emma in the dance? He seemed focused on performing for the camera/TV which I found distracting. It was nice he had fun here.

Jesse & Sharna - Foxtrot: This was nice and pretty. I thought Jesse did well here. He had a nice frame and some good gliding footwork. But then I did feel some parts were steppy. An improvement though.

Jeannie & Brandon - Cha-Cha: I just love watching Jeannie perform…. she’s such a fun and fierce performer. :wub: This was a fun and sexy dance and she danced it well with good technique and hip action. She still has this wildness to her movement with not finishing her lines but I feel that could be based on her excitement. But I’d rather someone give too much than not enough. 

Carole & Pasha - Viennese Waltz: A legit actual improvement from last week. She seemed better in hold and out of hold throughout but she still moves a bit ploddy and lacking grace & elegance needed.

Vernon & Peta - Paso Doble: I liked this for the most part. I felt the Paso suits Vernon much more. He did need stronger shaping and some of his partnering dancing, he was hunched over which affected the posture. But I enjoyed it. 

Kaitlyn & Artem - Foxtrot: This was really gorgeous and certainly the best dance of the night. If she danced like that with an injury, I wonder how she would have danced it without an injury. She was really graceful, elegant, had a good in hold/frame position and lovely footwork.

Rankings:

1. Kaitlyn & Artem - Foxtrot
  2. Justina & Sasha - Foxtrot
  3. Nev & Jenna -  Cha-Cha
  4. AJ & Cheryl - Foxtrot
  5. Jeannie & Brandon - Cha-Cha
  6. Jesse & Sharna - Foxtrot
  7. Chrishell & Gleb - Rumba
  8. Vernon & Peta - Paso Doble
  9. Anne & Keo - Foxtrot
  10. Johnny & Britt - Tango
  11. Nelly & Daniella - Cha-Cha
  12. Skai & Alan - Samba
  13. Monica & Val - Jive
  14. Carole & Pasha - Viennese Waltz
  15. Charles & Emma - Cha-Cha

Some of these rankings could change on re-watch but this is how they stand for now. :haha:

Yeah, I thought Chrishell was gonna B2 😮  

I thought "Counting Stars" is not a good Foxtrot song. LOL  I forget who did jive to Taylor Swift but that reminded me of Bethany's jive to the same song!111 but apparently she did it better because she got 8's 😄 

Though, Kaitlyn's foxtrot was probably my fav foxtrot.  Every other foxtrot was just weird this week. Yay for next week being Disney week :ohyeah:

2 hours ago, FunkyFrankie said:

Yeah, I thought Chrishell was gonna B2 😮  

I thought "Counting Stars" is not a good Foxtrot song. LOL  I forget who did jive to Taylor Swift but that reminded me of Bethany's jive to the same song!111 but apparently she did it better because she got 8's 😄 

Though, Kaitlyn's foxtrot was probably my fav foxtrot.  Every other foxtrot was just weird this week. Yay for next week being Disney week :ohyeah:

Lots of us thought this in my prediction game. :dead: 

Yeah I love "Counting Stars" but didn't like it for a Foxtrot. Monica Aldama & Val did it this week but yeah I was reminded of Bethany's Jive, which I did really like too.

On 9/24/2020 at 1:58 PM, *Wallace said:

Lots of us thought this in my prediction game. :dead: 

Yeah I love "Counting Stars" but didn't like it for a Foxtrot. Monica Aldama & Val did it this week but yeah I was reminded of Bethany's Jive, which I did really like too.

You have a game?! 😮 

I like that song too but not for foxtrot, it made the whole thing weird:wacko: Oooh, I didn't like their jive as much as Bethany's

I'm shocked at how poor Johnny's Tango was for a figure skater. So much technique seemed to be missing. It didn't look like a clean Tango at all.

Maks' critiques of Johnny seem to have been spot on and I do think that Britt's lack of ballroom background is part of the reason. Would never say this on Reddit though, that forum is an echo chamber of praise for Keo and Britt, anyone who dares to criticise them has certain members jumping down your throat and calling you racist.

• Thanks 1