Missed coach-contestant opportunites

antikid

Marybeth Byrd would have probably been able to win the show or at least get to the finale had she had Blake as a coach. He would have made her stick to storytelling country, which is were she shone (Blind, Battle), and she wouldn´t have run out of steam by the semifinals.

Injoy Fountain would have been great with Gwen, and I think she could have gone farther than she did on her team. I remember her saying she was a big Gwen fan, and something about her style just screamed Gwen to me.

Domenic Haynes was made for John, but Adam just had to get in the way 😂, he would have definitely made it farther on his team I think. And I don´t even like John as a coach, but this was an ideal pairing.

Sundance Head and Alicia would have been a VERY interesting pairing, considering that he, as a country soul artist, wanted her as a coach first and foremost, and the fact that he changed "No One" to fit his style speaks for itself. I know he won his season, but I wonder what he and Alicia would have done together.

I would have said that Katrina Cain just screamed Team Jhud in a very Noah Mac type of way based on her audition, but she would have been eliminated on any team in the KOs considering going electro pop was her choice.

Aaron Gibson from S11 said  in an interview that his coach preference would have been Adam, which I could see working, but then again Adam had Brendan that same season, who had the same raspy quality to his voice, so I don´t think he would have done any different with Aaron. 

Britton Buchanan definitely seemed that he was going to choose Adam, which in paper makes sense, but Alicia did him well, even challenged him to go outside of his comfort zone, and we got to see him progress and get better each week. I know this is a missed opportunity thread, but I  just wanted to point this out.

• Like 3

On 9/16/2020 at 2:31 PM, Daillon said:

Lauren Duski with Alicia or Gwen (she would have had better and more varied song choices imo).

Hannah Huston with Blake or Xtina (to escape from Pharrell’s tragic song choices).

I gotta totally disagree with this one. The better thing for Lauren was stay on her lane as a country singer. Blake gave her the right song choices to showcase her voice. If something isn't broken, don't fix it.

And with Hannah, Pharrell actually picked really good songs for her, like "Rolling in the Deep", "Say You Love Me" "WAMLAW", and "Every Breath You Take", and hey, she ended up in 3rd place, so we could say Pharrell was actually a GOOD coach for her (She wasn't beating Adam or Alisan, so 3rd place is the best she could have gotten anyway)

Edited by Gustavo527
  • Like 4

Ones that I look at like “what could have been”:

Matthew Schuler with Adam - though Matthew did do fairly well on Christina’s team (outlasting everyone on it except for Jacquie), I wonder what could have happened if someone had kept him more in the lane of his blind audition that seemed like Adam bait to me. Then again, given how stupidly stacked Team Adam was in Season 5, he would’ve been gone before the lives unless someone stole him - and keeping him in the pop-rock/alt-rock lane means we never would’ve gotten that Hallelujah performance, so...

Sawyer Fredericks with Blake - yeah, I know Sawyer won the season with Pharrell and obviously think those song choices worked out fine, but given folk is a close cousin of country music Blake made more sense on paper.

Kyla Jade with Kelly - though strategy-wise picking a coach with more experience makes sense, Kelly seems like a better genre matchup on paper than Blake. And given Kelly did go onto win her first season on the show, would Kyla have gotten as bussed as hard as she was if she’d been team KC? We’ll never know.

Domenic Haynes with John - Adam’s block worked out for him since he ended up getting Domenic, but Domenic with John would’ve been an absolute dream team (not to mention there’s a chance he would’ve made it longer).

Jej Vinson with Blake - Blake has won with R&B, he turned first by a long shot (which has been known to sway artists in the past), and Blake is good at getting artist/genre combos that don’t normally do well into the finale - eg, Chloe winning as a female rocker when the last female rocker to make it to the finale was Juliet Simms (who lost to Team Blake’s R&B winner, funnily enough).

Marybeth Byrd with Kelly - I know someone upthread mentioned Marybeth with Blake, but considering Marybeth loves country but wanted to dabble in pop, Kelly would’ve been a good choice as well since while she would’ve pushed Marybeth towards the gentler-storyteller-esque country, there also would’ve been a bit of wiggle room to allow Marybeth to go for some pop stuff too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gustavo527 said:

I gotta totally disagree with this one. The better thing for Lauren was stay on her lane as a country singer. Blake gave her the right song choices to showcase her voice. If something isn't broken, don't fix it.

And with Hannah, Pharrell actually picked really good songs for her, like "Rolling in the Deep", "Say You Love Me" "WAMLAW", and "Every Breath You Take", and hey, she ended up in 3rd place, so we could say Pharrell was actually a GOOD coach for her (She wasn't beating Adam or Alisan, so 3rd place is the best she could have gotten anyway)

I didn’t want Lauren to change her lane, but her song choices for the most part were a snoozefest (I loved Ghost In This House, but that’s about it).

And Hannah’s song choices were an absolute tragedy (the only good one was Say You Love Me). Pharrell picked the most overdone songs ever, and even then they weren’t a good fit for her at all. I don’t think I have been as frustrated with a contesant’s song choices. She ended up 3rd despite her song choices, not because of them lol.

People keep hating on John, but he is a great coach compared to Pharrell imo.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Someone648 said:

Not that John was bad for Katie Kadan at all, but I can imagine the Kelly/Katie dynamic being phenomenal!

Also, John with Domenic Haynes was such a missed opportunity. Probably the first time a block made me actually upset.

This!! Katie and Kelly duo would've been a SLAYAGE, I can see her giving bunch of songs that really compliments what she wanna be as an artist. John with Dom will be a force to be reckoned with.

Kyla with Kelly is also good, she could've a chance to beat Brynn, since they won't probably bus Kyla on Team Kelly. We never know

Lastly, for me, J-Hud and Kymberli could've been a force too, too bad though that Team J-Hud was SUPER LOADED (and still did not win lmao, robbed queens) with someone like her, so being on Team KC isn't bad.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2020 at 2:49 PM, Someone648 said:

Not that John was bad for Katie Kadan at all, but I can imagine the Kelly/Katie dynamic being phenomenal!

Also, John with Domenic Haynes was such a missed opportunity. Probably the first time a block made me actually upset.

This one. I'll be fair to Adam, and say he did give Domenic pretty good songs. The indie/jazz lane is good for him. But I think Adam was so hated..and John knows that music so well..that it was a match that would have been fantastic. Also, I think Domenic would have been more successful with Blake. Blake wouldn't know that style as well (but Domenic knew himself well anyway) However, Blake would have softened up that eccentric status that tends to turn viewers off. (Similar to how he worked with Chloe). 

• Like 1

I sometimes wonder what would happen if Todd Tilghman had went with his original plan and chose Kelly. While Blake's voting army definitely helped a lot in Todd's victory, I do feel like his appeal was much wider than that, and I feel like Kelly could've tap on that and get him to at least semis if she went the Jake Hoot route with him. Love, Me wouldn't have happened though if it weren't for Blake.

Edited by Teraginn
  • Like 1

Basically, almost every winner that wasn’t Team Blake would have had an easier win on his team. 

These (since I started watching S6)..

Sawyer

Jordan

Alisan (she wouldn’t have needed the pimping)

Brynn

Chevel

Maelyn

Jake 

I only left out Josh and Chris. 

15 hours ago, Teraginn said:

I sometimes wonder what would happen if Todd Tilghman had went with his original plan and chose Kelly. While Blake's voting army definitely helped a lot in Todd's victory, I do feel like his appeal was much wider than that, and I feel like Kelly could've tap on that and get him to at least semis if she went the Jake Hoot route with him. Love, Me wouldn't have happened though if it weren't for Blake.

This probably would have left Toneisha in a prime position to win

1 hour ago, QueenMae16 said:

Still think Todd would have won, especially with "I Can Only Imagine"

His stats were OP.

Yeah you are right, especially since Kelly does also have her own voting bloc. She did prove that she could steal Blake's vote in S17 w/ Jake Hoot. Todd is also a stronger contestant because he appeals to more outside of country, while Jake Hoot (while undeniably good at what he does), remained simply in the Country range. 

I actually did like Desperado and Cover Me Up by him though 😮

16 minutes ago, ashwinner said:

Yeah you are right, especially since Kelly does also have her own voting bloc. She did prove that she could steal Blake's vote in S17 w/ Jake Hoot. Todd is also a stronger contestant because he appeals to more outside of country, while Jake Hoot (while undeniably good at what he does), remained simply in the Country range. 

I actually did like Desperado and Cover Me Up by him though 😮

I am in a private Todd FB fan group, and I can say with certainty that a majority of the 30k+ people that were there never watched The Voice till S18.