Jump to content

Contestants that have exposed the show or talked against it


Recommended Posts

Most contestants talk wonders about the show and how it changed their lives, but you guys know or have heard any contestants that have exposed the show after their elimination (song choices, producers influence, rigged voting,. etc), or straight out badmouthed it in some way?

 

Had the idea after I encountered this article about Blaine Long from Team Blake on S11 (Eliminated in battles against Josh Gallagher)

https://www.azcentral.com/story/entertainment/music/2017/10/05/blaine-long-the-voice-chandler-arizona-music-scorpio/732009001/

Edited by Misirlou
Link to post
Share on other sites

Kelsea Johnson (aka Aria Bleù now) said the show was racist:

 

An AA female has never won 

The hair person asked if her hair was real and Kelsea said yes, but the hair person tried to grab it out anyway

  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ddendyl Hoyt from S6 gave an interview to the Washington Post that was very negative about her coach, Shakira.

 

I’m linking it, but WaPo has put everything behind a paywall.

 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwj7p7WKzb_rAhXGmnIEHQWJA70QtwIwAHoECAYQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.washingtonpost.com%2Fnews%2Farts-and-entertainment%2Fwp%2F2014%2F05%2F20%2Fthe-voice-star-ddendyl-on-life-after-reality-tv-and-how-the-nbc-singing-show-really-operates%2F&usg=AOvVaw1iALDm3l8pgbThX7Fqg4m7

 

Amanda Lee Peers from S7 wrote extensively about her time on the Voice in her blog. She had both good and bad to say about the show, but she thought Gwen had it in for her and pre-judged her Battle. (You need to scroll down a bit.)

 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiD8sPJzr_rAhWsl3IEHdsxCioQFjASegQIAxAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Famandaleepeers.wordpress.com%2F&usg=AOvVaw1vL9YT2OA96Rd-MDGWfruq

Edited by AngelaKD
Link to post
Share on other sites

Good stuff from Adam Wakefield. 
 

...

Talk about your feelings when you realized you hadn't won, and that Alisan Porter was the winner instead.

 

Disappointed. Then I saw the pink confetti, and I was relieved. [Laughs] To be honest with you, I was 99.9 percent sure that she was going to win, just because it made sense; it was good TV. It’s in the contract that the producers can pick who they want to win whenever they want. I think that was kind of why I went the direction I did; the song choices and the stuff that I did for my last week of shows, I just did what I wanted to do. I wasn’t trying to get votes, I just wanted to put on an "ode to Nashville" sort of thing.

 

Did you expect a different outcome?

 

I kind of knew that regardless of how many votes I got, she was probably going to win, because she’s got the backstory. And they really wanted Christina [Aguilera] to win; a female coach hadn’t won the show yet.

And [Porter's] got the kid. She won, and she’s got the kid in her hand, and she’s crying, and she’s got the trophy, and her family’s around. If I had won, I’d have been standing there holding the trophy surrounded by all this confetti, and then my giant friend from Alabama who’s huge and hairy and not TV appropriate would come running out and probably tackled me. It would have been a very different outcome if I had won. She was the TV winner. I pretty much knew that that was going to happen, and I prepared myself for that.



Read More: Interview: Adam Wakefield Talks Time on, Life After 'The Voice' | https://theboot.com/adam-wakefield-interview-2016/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral



 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

Good stuff from Adam Wakefield. 
 

...

Talk about your feelings when you realized you hadn't won, and that Alisan Porter was the winner instead.

 

Disappointed. Then I saw the pink confetti, and I was relieved. [Laughs] To be honest with you, I was 99.9 percent sure that she was going to win, just because it made sense; it was good TV. It’s in the contract that the producers can pick who they want to win whenever they want. I think that was kind of why I went the direction I did; the song choices and the stuff that I did for my last week of shows, I just did what I wanted to do. I wasn’t trying to get votes, I just wanted to put on an "ode to Nashville" sort of thing.

 

Did you expect a different outcome?

 

I kind of knew that regardless of how many votes I got, she was probably going to win, because she’s got the backstory. And they really wanted Christina [Aguilera] to win; a female coach hadn’t won the show yet.

And [Porter's] got the kid. She won, and she’s got the kid in her hand, and she’s crying, and she’s got the trophy, and her family’s around. If I had won, I’d have been standing there holding the trophy surrounded by all this confetti, and then my giant friend from Alabama who’s huge and hairy and not TV appropriate would come running out and probably tackled me. It would have been a very different outcome if I had won. She was the TV winner. I pretty much knew that that was going to happen, and I prepared myself for that.



Read More: Interview: Adam Wakefield Talks Time on, Life After 'The Voice' | https://theboot.com/adam-wakefield-interview-2016/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral



 

To be fair, we all know he's not lying

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:


If that’s the case, why didn’t they declare Kennedy the winner of S15?

I have no idea.  I do think that Chevel won fair and square, but if they really can choose the winner they want, then they should've gone with Kennedy, after all.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Pushing someone in order for them to get the win with song choices, spots, story, and straight up rigging the votes are two very different things. As much as I enjoyed Adam W on the show (and preferred him over Alisan actually), that was just sour grapes. TPTB helped Alisan more than any contestant that season, perhaps yes, but Adam got his fair share of pimping as well, great spots and song choices all around. Not to mention The Voice would be over if they found any  evidence that the show is rigging the votes. 

Edited by Misirlou
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Rodney said:

I have no idea.  I do think that Chevel won fair and square, but if they really can choose the winner they want, then they should've gone with Kennedy, after all.


That’s what I’m saying. They clearly wanted Kennedy to win, so why not just make her the winner? The answer of course is they don’t do that. 

Edited by TeamAudra
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TeamAudra said:

Good stuff from Adam Wakefield. 
 

...

Talk about your feelings when you realized you hadn't won, and that Alisan Porter was the winner instead.

 

Disappointed. Then I saw the pink confetti, and I was relieved. [Laughs] To be honest with you, I was 99.9 percent sure that she was going to win, just because it made sense; it was good TV. It’s in the contract that the producers can pick who they want to win whenever they want. I think that was kind of why I went the direction I did; the song choices and the stuff that I did for my last week of shows, I just did what I wanted to do. I wasn’t trying to get votes, I just wanted to put on an "ode to Nashville" sort of thing.

 

Did you expect a different outcome?

 

I kind of knew that regardless of how many votes I got, she was probably going to win, because she’s got the backstory. And they really wanted Christina [Aguilera] to win; a female coach hadn’t won the show yet.

And [Porter's] got the kid. She won, and she’s got the kid in her hand, and she’s crying, and she’s got the trophy, and her family’s around. If I had won, I’d have been standing there holding the trophy surrounded by all this confetti, and then my giant friend from Alabama who’s huge and hairy and not TV appropriate would come running out and probably tackled me. It would have been a very different outcome if I had won. She was the TV winner. I pretty much knew that that was going to happen, and I prepared myself for that.



Read More: Interview: Adam Wakefield Talks Time on, Life After 'The Voice' | https://theboot.com/adam-wakefield-interview-2016/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral



 


The bitterness lol

 

I also remember in S11 finale Nolan Neal being really negative and bitter about Billy Gilman, but I can’t remember the specifics...

Edited by Daillon
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Gustavo527 said:

To be fair, we all know he's not lying

This. I'm sure this happens all the time. At the end of the day, it's a TV show. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Drew said:

This. I'm sure this happens all the time. At the end of the day, it's a TV show. 

 

...and it's a TV show that has rules saying they don't have to count certain votes for any reason...and the clincher is the rules also say they don't have to tell anyone what they did. I think having a process to throw out votes for cause is a valid management tool.  Having no process, no limitations and no accountability is sketchy AF though.  I'm not saying they manipulate votes as a matter of practice....but they did publicly codify the ability to silently do so.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think they just give win to anyone they want, If that's the case the show would've lost it's credibility and wouldn't age well. They favour a contestant by giving him/her the pimp spots and all the hype , the song selections. But If TCO don't get enough votes they let the other person win like in S7 and S15 like seriously in that situation Matt Should've won but he didn't because Craig was above in votes and in S15 at least they could've made Kennedy 2nd but that didn't happen she ended up in last place.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Spurrious said:

 

...and it's a TV show that has rules saying they don't have to count certain votes for any reason...and the clincher is the rules also say they don't have to tell anyone what they did. I think having a process to throw out votes for cause is a valid management tool.  Having no process, no limitations and no accountability is sketchy AF though.  I'm not saying they manipulate votes as a matter of practice....but they did publicly codify the ability to silently do so.  


It’s just lawyerly CYA crap, IMO. I’d probably throw that clause in there too. I do, however, see the potential for tossing batch votes for one contestant, and letting them stand for another. For example, Team Blake has massive Facebook groups, where they discuss various power voting strategies, and stay up all night voting for Blake’s contestants. A few people powervoting probably won’t affect the outcome, but we’re talking groups with tens of thousands of members. That’s why he usually ends up with at least two in the finale. So, I wouldn’t put it past them to limit the number of votes per IP address, for some contestants, but not for others. I guess Chevel’s lead over Kennedy was too big for that to work. Lauren v. Chris though...hmmm. I’m half joking and half not. We just don’t know. 

Edited by TeamAudra
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sorry, what is it about the Season 12 finale that has people here adamant that it was rigged? To me it just seems like a case of casual votes winning out over the Blake voting bloc, just like Alisan vs. Adam, Chevel vs. Kirk/Chris and Maelyn vs. Blake's S16 army. Is there anything else concrete to support that theory, besides anecdotal evidence?

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/30/2020 at 10:34 AM, Teraginn said:

I'm sorry, what is it about the Season 12 finale that has people here adamant that it was rigged? To me it just seems like a case of casual votes winning out over the Blake voting bloc.

Exactly, Chris had more  casual votes hence he won. People complain about it because their fav was Lauren and when she lost people were really outraged here. It happens sometimes , for example in my case I was really outraged when Amanda was eliminated, Juliet didn't win, Kyla didn't win So I say they are robbed. But that doesn't mean that the voting is rigged It's just that the voters prefer the others.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Teraginn said:

I'm sorry, what is it about the Season 12 finale that has people here adamant that it was rigged? To me it just seems like a case of casual votes winning out over the Blake voting bloc, just like Alisan vs. Adam, Chevel vs. Kirk/Chris and Maelyn vs. Blake's S16 army. Is there anything else concrete to support that theory, besides anecdotal evidence?

Her iTunes numbers were light years ahead of Chris' and she had Facebook support which usually predicts the winner most accurately

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Teraginn said:

I'm sorry, what is it about the Season 12 finale that has people here adamant that it was rigged? To me it just seems like a case of casual votes winning out over the Blake voting bloc, just like Alisan vs. Adam, Chevel vs. Kirk/Chris and Maelyn vs. Blake's S16 army. Is there anything else concrete to support that theory, besides anecdotal evidence?

It's not anecdotal that she had a huge head start in iTunes generated bonus votes before the first vote was cast in the finals.  When finals vote started it was something like Lauren 500,000, Chris 0.  That we know.  We also know the Voice rules (modified to add the "we don't have to tell you" clause THAT season btw) allow for producer's vote manipulation to happen without recourse.  Everything else (Facebook, Twitter, Google, Vegas odds) merely suggested she has a huge lead.  For them all to be wrong by a factor of 2 or more is highly unlikely and completely unprecedented in show history.  Point is, it not just wishful thinking.  From my perspective, it more likely those who think it couldn't or didn't happen are in denial.

 

#AliciasPartingGift

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Spurrious said:

It's not anecdotal that she had a huge head start in iTunes generated bonus votes before the first vote was cast in the finals.  When finals vote started it was something like Lauren 500,000, Chris 0.  That we know.  We also know the Voice rules (modified to add the "we don't have to tell you" clause THAT season btw) allow for producer's vote manipulation to happen without recourse.  Everything else (Facebook, Twitter, Google, Vegas odds) merely suggested she has a huge lead.  For them all to be wrong by a factor of 2 or more is highly unlikely and completely unprecedented in show history.  Point is, it not just wishful thinking.  From my perspective, it more likely those who think it couldn't or didn't happen are in denial.

 

#AliciasPartingGift

 

Before the finale, Lauren had 3 iTunes bonuses while Chris had 2 (he got both of his songs to chart on semifinale week and yes, his semifinale duet actually counted for votes), so your statement of Chris having 0 bonus iTunes votes is patently false.

 

I thought the clause you are mentioning was already in place since Season 10 as per the Wakefield interview? Or was there an add-on I don't know about? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Teraginn said:

I'm sorry, what is it about the Season 12 finale that has people here adamant that it was rigged? To me it just seems like a case of casual votes winning out over the Blake voting bloc, just like Alisan vs. Adam, Chevel vs. Kirk/Chris and Maelyn vs. Blake's S16 army. Is there anything else concrete to support that theory, besides anecdotal evidence?

People are just still pressed like a panini that Chris Blue rightfully destroyed Lauren what’s her face in the final vote and won like he deserved. :wub:

  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/30/2020 at 8:14 PM, Elliott said:

People are just still pressed like a panini that Chris Blue rightfully destroyed Lauren what’s her face in the final vote and won like he deserved. :wub:

OH WOW, You're right but I've never seen someone taking Chris' side that much and dissing Lauren like this Imao 👏👏👏

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...