SCD Series 18 Discussion Thread

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just realised - Nadine used to date Jesse Metcalfe too. So she has exes on both SCD and DWTS this year.

This tweet looks promising:       Could we be finally getting the first official name reveal? Fingers crossed! 😮 

All confirmed today:   Bill Bailey, JJ Chalmers, Jamie Laing and Maisie Smith!

3 minutes ago, Ariel1989 said:

Is the livestream acting out for anyone else? 

It's veryy choppy for me. :/ I'm just watching it to find out the couples in live time, but I'll have to watch the episode in full later on.

The next 3 partnerships revealed:

HRVY & Janette

Jason & Luba

Jamie & Karen

Kinda surprised about HRVY & Janette as a partnership because he seems kinda tall? Unless the guys are quite tall this year? But Janette is little and light for him to do lifts with, should they do so.

Jason & Luba were obvious and right considering their heights.

Aww sad at no Jamie & Oti again but kinda figured that wasn’t going to happen. I would assume Oti might get Bill after winning with Kelvin. But OMG I bet the producers paired Jamie & Karen up because they literally have the same hairstyle. :dead: :haha: And ugh I love Karen but do not like this short platinum blonde hair on her. 

12 minutes ago, Ariel1989 said:

HRVY & Janette, let's hope she doesn't pull an Aston!

Gah this is what worries me with this partnership and HRVY’s chances of going far. 🙈 Just hope they don’t have that Viennese Waltz of HRVY wearing an afro, and hopefully they’ll be good.  :haha:

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, *Wallace said:

The next 3 partnerships revealed:

HRVY & Janette

Jason & Luba

Jamie & Karen

Kinda surprised about HRVY & Janette as a partnership because he seems kinda tall? Unless the guys are quite tall this year? But Janette is little and light for him to do lifts with, should they do so.

Jason & Luba were obvious and right considering their heights.

Aww sad at no Jamie & Oti again but kinda figured that wasn’t going to happen. I would assume Oti might get Bill after winning with Kelvin. But OMG I bet the producers paired Jamie & Karen up because they literally have the same hairstyle. :dead: :haha: And ugh I love Karen but do not like this short platinum blonde hair on her. 

Google says that HRVY is 5' 8" so not that tall.  

There's going to be a lot of matching hair jokes about Jamie & Karen 😆 I hope he's good though because Karen hardly ever gets a realistic chance at winning.  

Just now, Ariel1989 said:

Google says that HRVY is 5' 8" so not that tall.  

There's going to be a lot of matching hair jokes about Jamie & Karen 😆 I hope he's good though because Karen hardly ever gets a realistic chance at winning.  

Oooh ok, thanks. OK that makes sense for him to be with Janette. I guess with him being so skinny makes him look taller than what he is. :haha: 

OMGGG THERE totally is gonna be. :dead: :haha:  I'm rooting for Jamie to do well, so hoping he's good too.

Next 3 partnerships:

Nicola & Katya

Jacqui & Anton

Maisie & Gorka

The most unkept secret partnership… Nicola & Katya. Ugh if it wasn’t for that article i read, I would have been unspoiled on them. :lmao: I think they are a good match together. Looking forward to this partnership.

Lol them showing Anton first in Jacqui’s VT. They couldn’t even ~keep the suspense around for the viewers her to find out her partnership. This was an obvious pairing but not mad about it.

YAYY for Maisie & Gorka! :wub: This was the partnership I was most wanting this series, so I am glad this is legit now. Really looking forward to Maisie. Glad Gorka is back with a (hopeful) contender.

Ooh and oh my, they revealed Maisie's first dance style.

Maisie & Gorka have the Samba. Such a tough and risky first style.

Ranvir & Giovanni have the Paso Doble.

Not sure what other styles were revealed.

Oooh yayy Kelvin & Oti segment. Looks like they reprised their Showdance but I missed it entirely. 😐 But I heard it was a socially distanced version, which sounds interesting.

The last 3 celebs to have their partnerships revealed are: JJ, Bill and Max. I know who I want them to be paired up with, so lets see what happens.

The last 3 partnerships:

JJ & Amy

Bill & Oti

Max & Dianne

Yay these were the partnerships I was predicting and wanting for these last 3. 

Well, not necessarily Bill & Oti but I figured she would get the older funny guy after winning with Kelvin last year. But they should be a fun partnership. Their first style is

the Cha-Cha.

JJ & Amy is a good pairing, and I’d like to see what she can do with him. 

And yay Max & Dianne was another partnership I was really wanting, so I am glad this is happening. ❤️ Really looking forward to them! And hope Dianne has better luck this time around with Max too.

All of this series' partnerships in one post: 

Caroline & Johannes

Clara & Aljaz

Ranvir & Giovanni

HRVY & Janette

Jason & Luba

Jamie & Karen

Nicola & Katya

Jacqui & Anton

Maisie & Gorka

JJ & Amy

Bill & Oti

Max & Dianne

Really liking all of these pairings and excited to see what they all do next weekend!

Lots of promising partnerships. Was really looking forward to HRVY and dislike that they gave him Janette as Aston was totally wasted on her and HRVY has so much potential. 

At least there are plenty of decent ones with other pros - Luba & Dianne both have a shot at doing well this year after their early exits last series. Thank goodness that Gorka got a good celeb, we need more of him. Nicola & Katya will be dynamite. Clara seems good as well, great that Aljaž has a celeb with a bigger personality, seeing him with quiet model types was getting dull.

Jacqui was tragic, bless. Couldn't remember her choreo at all

After their runs of ringer celebs the past few years, looks like Gio & Amy have their work cut out for them this time. Amy literally danced circles around JJ and Ranvir was enthusiastic but not much ability to work with there. Similar for Oti & Bill but he can move well, his weakness will be technique but who better than Oti to drill him?

Jamie/Karen are a good match personality wise (she is good with the goofy extrovert guys) but I think he'd probably have danced better with Oti. Glad they didn't go the predictable route though.

Caroline/Johannes will be fun, they'll get along well.

• Like 1

The couples promo pics are already up! 😄 

0_EMB-_final_21243768_21243758JPG.jpg

Bill & Oti

0_Caroline-Quentin-and-Johannes-Radebe.j

Caroline & Johannes

TELEMMGLPICT000242143013_trans_NvBQzQNjv

Clara & Aljaz

TELEMMGLPICT000242143016_trans_NvBQzQNjv

HRVY & Janette

TELEMMGLPICT000242142992_trans_NvBQzQNjv

Jacqui & Anton

TELEMMGLPICT000242142977_trans_NvBQzQNjv

Jamie & Karen

TELEMMGLPICT000242142983_trans_NvBQzQNjv

Jason & Luba

TELEMMGLPICT000242142996_1_trans_NvBQzQN

JJ & Amy

TELEMMGLPICT000242142990_trans_NvBQzQNjv

Maisie & Gorka

TELEMMGLPICT000242143006_trans_NvBQzQNjv

Max & Dianne

TELEMMGLPICT000242143008_trans_NvBQzQNjv

Nicola & Katya

TELEMMGLPICT000242142999_trans_NvBQzQNjv

Ranvir & Giovanni

Link: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2020/10/17/strictly-come-dancing-2020-launch-show-live-updates-celebrities/

• Like 1

Just to add...I saw the usual “why not give Anton a good partner?” comments online and...girl. They did that LAST YEAR. :dead: Emma had some experience and the two of them were probably the runners-up that year! I’m glad that Anton didn’t get any of the other female celebs, honestly.

Overall, I’m pretty pleased with the pairings! I thought they’d repeat Jamie/Oti, but I actually feel like Bill/Oti is SUCH a good pairing. :dead: I’m excited to see what Oti does with an older/comedy contestant. Gonna try and do more in-depth comments tomorrow!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, *Lily said:

Catching up on the show now!

Particularly excited for Clara/Aljaz and Maisie/Gorka! :wub:

Those are amongst my fave partnerships too. ❤️ But got to watch the show in full soon.

31 minutes ago, *Lily said:

Just to add...I saw the usual “why not give Anton a good partner?” comments online and...girl. They did that LAST YEAR. :dead: Emma had some experience and the two of them were probably the runners-up that year! I’m glad that Anton didn’t get any of the other female celebs, honestly.

Overall, I’m pretty pleased with the pairings! I thought they’d repeat Jamie/Oti, but I actually feel like Bill/Oti is SUCH a good pairing. :dead: I’m excited to see what Oti does with an older/comedy contestant. Gonna try and do more in-depth comments tomorrow!

OMGG People still ask this? 🙈 :dead:  Lmaoo yeah Anton had the biggest female ringer of last year's cast in Emma Barton, and we saw how that worked out. :ph34rwave: I'm glad he got Jacquie as i also wouldn't want him with any of the other ladies either. :haha: 

I'm liking the Bill & Oti partnership more from seeing them than I did on paper. 😮 They should be lots of fun.

3 minutes ago, DWTSFan2001 said:

UGH at this tweet from James Jordan:

Does he not realise how this sounds? Why the hell do they need Neil to help them as the first same-sex partnership?

Oooh James. I'm curious of people's comments on this.

But I think people have said that Neil has helped out Katya with some choreography ideas or something in the past. But I would think with them being separated/divorced, that's not really a thing anymore? And yeah, Katya is perfectly capable of working her creative magic and making her partnership with Nicola work on her own.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DWTSFan2001 said:

UGH at this tweet from James Jordan:

Does he not realise how this sounds? Why the hell do they need Neil to help them as the first same-sex partnership?

Honestly, it just reflect the prevailing opinion amongst the Strictly fanbase - namely, that Neil's choreography is much better than Katya's and that she has him to thank for winning in 2017.

1 hour ago, *Wallace said:

Oooh James. I'm curious of people's comments on this.

But I think people have said that Neil has helped out Katya with some choreography ideas or something in the past. But I would think with them being separated/divorced, that's not really a thing anymore? And yeah, Katya is perfectly capable of working her creative magic and making her partnership with Nicola work on her own.

Neil's work with Alex last year had me doubting that he was responsible for much of Katya's work.  

• Like 1
8 hours ago, rpryor03 said:

Honestly, it just reflect the prevailing opinion amongst the Strictly fanbase - namely, that Neil's choreography is much better than Katya's and that she has him to thank for winning in 2017.

Didn't really see it last year - his routines with Alex were pretty dull. Katya did produce a couple of dud routines last year (mainly that awful American Smooth) but she did continue the trend of out of the box routines that get people talking so I don't believe he did all of their choreography. They may have collaborated but I do believe it was her work the whole way.

A lot of people still seem to like Katya but there are a select few who still hold kiss-gate against her and make digs along the lines of "she's clearly no longer got Neil's help". She doesn't seem to have a whole lot of fans over on Digital Spy.

Edited by DWTSFan2001
14 hours ago, Ariel1989 said:

Neil's work with Alex last year had me doubting that he was responsible for much of Katya's work.  

6 hours ago, DWTSFan2001 said:

Didn't really see it last year - his routines with Alex were pretty dull. Katya did produce a couple of dud routines last year (mainly that awful American Smooth) but she did continue the trend of out of the box routines that get people talking so I don't believe he did all of their choreography. They may have collaborated but I do believe it was her work the whole way.

A lot of people still seem to like Katya but there are a select few who still hold kiss-gate against her and make digs along the lines of "she's clearly no longer got Neil's help". She doesn't seem to have a whole lot of fans over on Digital Spy.

Yess to these posts. Neil's routines with Alex weren't really that groundbreaking (their Paso was probably the closest to that), so it does make me question the comments of Neil's ideas in Katya's choreo. Like DWTSFan said, I think it was a collaborative effort but Katya did most of the work mostly on her own.

Yayy I finally finished watching the launch show!

Pre-Show rankings:

1. Maisie & Gorka
  2. Clara & Aljaž
  3. Max & Dianne
  4. HRVY & Janette
  5. Jason & Luba
  6. Nicola & Katya
  7. Jamie & Karen
  8. Caroline & Johannes
  9. Ranvir & Giovanni
  10. Bill & Oti
  11. JJ & Amy
  12. Jacqui & Anton

I do like the pairings and can see myself being a fan of most of them. I’d say I am probably a fan of my entire Top 8 right now (and I could grow to like others). I thought most of the celebs showed great potential in the group dance at the end of the show. Maisie & HRVY stood out as the best ones so far. On the other end of things, Jacqui definitely seemed to be the weakest one with JJ right behind. Bill was a surprise as he moved quickly and well was light on his feet. Excited to see how things change once the competition starts.