SCD Series 18 Discussion Thread

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just realised - Nadine used to date Jesse Metcalfe too. So she has exes on both SCD and DWTS this year.

This tweet looks promising:       Could we be finally getting the first official name reveal? Fingers crossed! 😮 

I don't get why Maisie is not getting votes   She's legit the best one there. This is Ashley Roberts all over again. Lame  

13 hours ago, *Diana said:

I don't get why Maisie is not getting votes 

She's legit the best one there. This is Ashley Roberts all over again. Lame

Sadly it seems, the ringers or often “the best dancer” of the series right from the start, struggles to get votes with the public due to a lack of journey or growth. :( It’s not too surprising seeing this over the years but def unfair and disheartening to these amazing dancers - that still put in the effort and hard work as the beginners do. :(

Results show coming up soon. I'll try to update on what happens, so we can know what happens for sure.

• Like 2

Really gorgeous ballroom group routine (with Dianne & Giovanni starring in it) at the start of the show! ❤️ 

Ranvir & Giovanni, Jamie & Karen and Bill & Oti are all safe! Congrats to them. No surprises there.

Caroline & Johannes are the first couple in the Bottom 2.

Week 6 style spoiler:

Bill & Oti have the Jive.

Fun performance from Billy Ocean and great dancing from Nadiya & Graziano and Neil & Nancy. 

From the judges talking bit: Motsi said she would have given Jamie & Karen a 10 too - but I think we all already knew that without her saying it. :haha:

Clara & Aljaž, HRVY & Janette and JJ & Amy are all safe. Really happy for Clara for escaping the Bottom 2, as she really needed that  or else she would have gone. 

Sadly Maisie & Gorka are in the Bottom 2 once again. Ugh poor girl. :(:broken:

Week 6 spoiler

Clara & Aljaž are channeling Tina Turner for their next dance. They did the Proud Mary moves, so hmmm maybe sounds Proud Mary Jive?? Although they didn't confirm or say that. Im hoping it's not that as Alexandra had a moment to that song/style just 3 years ago.

JJ & Amy has a dance where he will be wearing a kilt.

• Like 1

Maisie & Gorka vs. Caroline & Johannes 

Thankfully all of the judges saved Maisie! ❤️ Well technically Craig & Anton did but Shirley agreed this time so yay. Her dance-off of that Salsa seemed even better. I still feel so bad for Maisie landing down there again. Hopefully there’s a way she has a dance that connects with the public and she can be safe next week. :( 

Lmao thankfully Caroline didn’t do the lick on the arm move. :lmao: I think it’s a fair cut for Caroline to go now. She’s a naturally beautiful dancer but sadly I felt her run was pretty stagnant and she started off good but stayed on that level and didn’t really progress. I wish she could have. :( But she had a fun last dance. They had really nice and beautiful messages to each other.  

And oh yikes…. second series in a row where the Cha-Cha takes out Johannes. This seems to be his cursed dance.

• Like 1

definitely the right person to go this week as i don't feel she improved much throughout the season :( bummed about maisie in the b2 again though i'm glad it was her over clara as that would've almost surely sent clara home

• Like 2

Really glad Clara was able to survive and is doing ok in the voting I hope!

Really sucks about Maisie. I already dislike how the public so openly turn on women who are a) good dancers, and b) know they are good dancers! That seems to be what people say is turning them off Maisie, that she’s confident in herself and her abilities. It’s not only frustrating that people seem to want to turn that into a negative, but also it’s a gross double standard between men and women competitors as we know.

The part that saddens me about it the most is that she’s only 19. Kudos to her for being so young, kicking butt every week and owning it! I really hope that the public reception doesn’t dampen her spirit. To be so young and confident is amazing to see - I actually really like that we got this with Maisie and also Skai, two young women who either were, or gained confidence in themselves, and were always gracious when taking the judges’ comments on board.

It’s a shame to see Caroline go as early in I thought she could be a surprise contender. Unfortunately, I feel like this partnership just never really took off how we hoped it would.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, *Wallace said:

Sadly Maisie & Gorka are in the Bottom 2 once again. Ugh poor girl. :(:broken:

I am ticked at this.  How is JJ escaping the bottom when two weeks in a row, he has legitimately stunk. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, ungodlyhour said:

definitely the right person to go this week as i don't feel she improved much throughout the season :( bummed about maisie in the b2 again though i'm glad it was her over clara as that would've almost surely sent clara home

Ah yeah same to this. On an overall standpoint, withthe rumored Bottom 2s, I decided that was ~better to go with, so that Clara could remain in the show. But still felt so bad for Maisie.

4 hours ago, *Amanda said:

Ugh at Maisie getting the Ashley Roberts treatment from the viewers. :broken: The British public really hate the talented females even more than the US public. 

Yep. :broken: 

3 hours ago, *Lily said:

Really glad Clara was able to survive and is doing ok in the voting I hope!

Really sucks about Maisie. I already dislike how the public so openly turn on women who are a) good dancers, and b) know they are good dancers! That seems to be what people say is turning them off Maisie, that she’s confident in herself and her abilities. It’s not only frustrating that people seem to want to turn that into a negative, but also it’s a gross double standard between men and women competitors as we know.

The part that saddens me about it the most is that she’s only 19. Kudos to her for being so young, kicking butt every week and owning it! I really hope that the public reception doesn’t dampen her spirit. To be so young and confident is amazing to see - I actually really like that we got this with Maisie and also Skai, two young women who either were, or gained confidence in themselves, and were always gracious when taking the judges’ comments on board.

It’s a shame to see Caroline go as early in I thought she could be a surprise contender. Unfortunately, I feel like this partnership just never really took off how we hoped it would.

All so perfectly said, Lily! :yes: 

Ugh I always follow and read whats said on the Strictly social media and related forums, and always see comments of people thinking Maisie is ~so confident~ or ~so cocky~, which turns them from voting against her. :/ It's definitely not fair on her there - on her dance skill and confidence being used against her. :broken: 

And yah she's soo young, and also another factor - of her having to live alone away from her family for the first time in her life. As she (and others) have to live separately from their families with the covid restrictions. :( So I imagine this is all hard on her to not have her family comfort her in person, but props to her handling all of this so graciously and delivering great dances. ❤️ 

3 hours ago, taylorkat said:

I am ticked at this.  How is JJ escaping the bottom when two weeks in a row, he has legitimately stunk. 

Ahh I know. I did think JJ was better this week (and fine with him making it over Caroline solely on this weeks dances), but he's my easy least fave left and I fear he's gonna outlast people I like more or my actual faves, which is everyone else. 🙈 Well I could be okay with Jamie going next but he's growing on me every week. :haha: 

• Like 2

https://www.instagram.com/p/CH6A7HAjBtZ/

Ooh aww I thought this was a bit of a sad but uplifting post from Clara. She mentions how rehearsals went really well and she was loving the routine but then she started second guessing herself with the live performance - and how the performance went wrong. :( It always sucks when that happens. So it really was like what Skai went through.

She also mentioned that her Tina Turner song isn’t “Proud Mary” so that’s good she won’t draw comparisons to Alexandra’s dance.

• Like 1

Week 6 Songs & Styles revealed: 

Clara and Aljaž: Jive to River Deep Mountain High by Tina Turner

Ranvir and Giovanni: American Smooth to I Say a Little Prayer by Aretha Franklin

Maisie and Gorka: Quickstep to When You're Smiling by Andy Williams

HRVY and Janette: Couple's Choice: Street/Commercial to A Sky Full Of Stars by Coldplay

Bill and Oti: Jive to One Way Or Another by Blondie

Jamie and Karen: Tango to Tanguera by Sexteto Mayor

JJ and Amy: Viennese Waltz to Rescue by Lauren Daigle

Link: https://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/strictlycomedancing/entries/f4fa3c60-124f-44a0-a0c8-c56b67770706

Thoughts: 

- Oooh a battle of the Jives between Clara and Bill. 😮 I think both should do reasonably well with the style. It’s a challenge but certainly fun. I do love Clara’s song so looking forward to hers more and hoping she can have a good comeback. But wouldn’t be surprised if Bill delivers anther good dance here.

- Ranvir should do great with an AS especially as this should be Foxtrot based, which was my fave dance of hers.

- Happy for Maisie getting a fun energetic Quickstep. Great classic song. Claudia had a great moment with this in S14, so I’m hoping Maisie does too and it can be enough to keep her out of the Bottom 2.

- The song for HRVY’s Street surprises me as I feel more of a Contemporary feel there. But i wonder/think if it could be a crossbred of styles like with Nicola’s dance. Def think this should be a great dance that suits him.

- Finally nice to see Jamie in ballroom after no ballroom for 3 weeks lol. This will be a big challenge for him and a real test that if he can keep his momentum going or falter. Think it could go either way but not entirely convinced.

- JJ got another ballroom (his 4th out of 6), and what sounds/seems like a really emotional song - with Lauren Daigle as an artist. I read this song has a military lyric in it, I think? Soo thinking he’ll sail through once again. But not sure if its smart or not to run through all the ballroom styles.

Quick review of last week`s dances:

• Bill & Oti - American Smooth: Surprisingly, the surprise of the cast for me - I lowkey enjoyed this dance as I loved the vibe of it all & he did decent. Again, he proves that Oti is one of the best on the show.
  •  Maisie & Gorka - Salsa: Okay, I absolutely loved this routine. It was super fun, and there was lots of elements that Maisie was able to nail in it. Overall, this may be one of my favourite dance of hers, so far. Surprised to see that she landed in the bottom after this.
  • JJ & Amy - Quickstep: Not a terrible dance or anything, but I though think the routine was a bit too slow for a quickstep. But it was nice to see him being a bit more loose in this routine.
  • Clara & Aljaž - Samba: Like everyone, I had high expectation for this routine especially for someone like Clara who is filled with personality & knows how to move. Unfortunately, she really struggled which I think Aljaz trying to make the routine a theme dance really did not come across well. Hopefully, she will be able to redeem herself with a proper samba in the future.
  • Jamie & Karen - Street&Commercial: Okay, easily his best performance & my favourite of the night - the theme fit the dance, and the dance had everything we need for Street & Commercial.  This may be what make him deliver more routines like this one.
  • HRVY & Janette - Tango: In this routine, we were able to really see how good of a dancer HRVY is - he`s probably the front runner at this point with Maisie not getting the votes.  Overall, the dance was super technical & I love the theme and music - I`d say they are my favourite couple, at this point of the competition.
  • Caroline & Johannes - Cha Cha: Exactly the reason why I was never able to get into her as I know this kind of dance would eventually happen :haha:.  I mean, the technique aspect was not there at all but she had personality? That's a plus I get but you don't get scored for being into character.
  • Ranvir & Giovanni - Argentine Tango: So far in the competition, she`s been hit or miss for me but this week it was a HIT. I absolutely enjoyed this routine - she was in character, loved their connection, and I though she did a good job with the technique with it although it could have been better with more intensity but still loved it!

1. Jamie & Karen - Street Commercial
  2. HRVY & Janette - Tango
  3. Maisie & Gorka - Salsa
  4. Ravir & Giovanni - Argentine Tango
  5. Bill & Oti - American Smooth
  6. JJ & Amy - Quickstep
  7. Clara & Aljaz - Samba
  8. Caroline & Johannes - Cha Cha

Great review as always there, Chris! 😄 Agreed with a lot of the points you made in there too! :yes: 

Gonna post some weekly Youtube stats as well as the Most viewed dances of the series so far!

SCD Series 18, Week 5 - Youtube Views

(Updated at: Wednesday 11/25 @ 10:15 PM)

1. Maisie & Gorka - Salsa: 230,682 views / 2,517 likes / 72 dislikes
  2. Ranvir & Giovanni - Argentine Tango: 172,273 views / 1,576 likes / 57 dislikes
  3. Jamie & Karen - Street/Commercial: 149,721 views / 1,640 likes / 67 dislikes
  4. HRVY & Janette - Tango: 129,346 views / 2,282 likes / 36 dislikes
  5. Bill & Oti - American Smooth: 116,527 views / 1,360 likes / 28 dislikes
  6. Caroline & Johannes - Cha-Cha: 58,571 views / 572 likes / 61 dislikes
  7. Clara & Aljaž - Samba: 53,420 views / 482 likes / 23 dislikes
  8. JJ & Amy - Quickstep: 31,925 views / 433 likes / 22 dislikes

Top 3 Likes:

1. Maisie & Gorka - Salsa
  2. HRVY & Janette - Tango
  3. Jamie & Karen - Street/Commercial

Bottom 3 Likes:

1. JJ & Amy - Quickstep
  2. Clara & Aljaž - Samba
  3. Caroline & Johannes - Cha-Cha

Top 3 Dislikes:

1. Maisie & Gorka - Salsa
  2. Jamie & Karen - Street/Commercial
  3. Caroline & Johannes - Cha-Cha

Bottom 3 Dislikes:

1. JJ & Amy - Quickstep
  2. Clara & Aljaž - Samba
  3. Bill & Oti - American Smooth

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SCD Series 18, Top 10 Most Viewed Dances - Youtube Views

(Updated at: Wednesday 11/25 @ 10:55 PM)

1. HRVY & Janette - Jive [Week 1]: 854,702 views / 12,668 likes / 208 dislikes
  2. Maisie & Gorka - Samba [Week 1]: 727,475 views / 6,320 likes / 185 dislikes
  3. Bill & Oti - Street/Commercial: 836,869 views / 10,957 likes / 202 dislikes
  4. HRVY & Janette - Salsa: 504,116 views / 9,799 likes / 205 dislikes
  5. Max & Dianne - Street/Commercial: 339,489 views / 4,583 likes / 417 dislikes
  6. Maisie & Gorka - Cha-Cha: 317,317 views / 2,454 likes / 101 dislikes
  7. Bill & Oti - Paso Doble: 299,564 views / 3,171 likes / 43 dislikes
  8. Bill & Oti - Cha-Cha [Week 1]: 279,259 views / 2,846 likes / 51 dislikes
  9. Bill & Oti - Quickstep: 253,600 views / 2,897 likes / 30 dislikes
  10. Maisie & Gorka - Tango: 241,660 views / 2,389 likes / 39 dislikes

Top 3 Likes:

1. HRVY & Janette - Jive
  2. Bill & Oti - Street/Commercial
  3. HRVY & Janette - Salsa

Bottom 3 Likes:

1. Maisie & Gorka - Tango
  2. Maisie & Gorka - Cha-Cha
  3. Bill & Oti - Cha-Cha

Top 3 Dislikes:

1. HRVY & Janette - Jive
  2. HRVY & Janette - Salsa
  3. Bill & Oti - Street/Commercial

Bottom 3 Dislikes:

1. Bill & Oti - Quickstep
  2. Maisie & Gorka - Tango
  3. Bill & Oti - Paso Doble

Week 6 Rehearsal footage: 

And some camera blocking footage from today that was on the Strictly instagram page, which luckily a fan account uploaded too.

Maisie: https://www.instagram.com/p/CIGje9Hh4dM/

JJ: https://www.instagram.com/p/CIGjoDKhwb7/

Ranvir: https://www.instagram.com/p/CIGj5Kyhgpu/

Jamie: https://www.instagram.com/p/CIGkOYmBly2/

Clara: https://www.instagram.com/p/CIGv-lDhQvb/

HRVY: https://www.instagram.com/p/CIGwbeMBh7Q/

Bill: https://www.instagram.com/p/CIGwhjfB2tL/

Looks like there will be a number of strong dances tomorrow. 😮 

Clara & Aljaž - Jive: 6/6/7 = 19

Once again Clara performed well, with good energy and had lots of fun with that dance. You could tell she lovd the song and was living in the moment. Sadly this was another hit or miss dance, that had some really good moments but some messy moments with mistakes in there. She seemed to get lost with some of the steps, especially towards the end. :( Gahh, overall I was wanting  and expecting better. :(:broken:  Oh and she’s saying how the rehearsals went better too, ugh.

Worried for her again this weekend. :( Not sure if the public will rally behind her two weeks in a  row but fingers crossed. Can’t really disagree with the scores there. 

Jamie & Karen in 2nd at the death spot.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, *Diana said:

isn't Clara the one who did that amazing Charleston? She peaked too early yikes I am worried for her.

Yeah. :( 

Ugh I love her but I'm fearing that might have been a one-time amazing dance from her. :broken: I'm really hoping she can find another amazing dance in her. 

• Like 1

Jamie & Karen - Tango: 8/8/8 = 24

The Tango was a big challenge and test of how Jamie can tackle ballroom. I have to rewatch this later as my stream kept freezing on it, but he did better with that Tango than I expected. :yes: There were some iffy things he could improve on but a very good effort. Nicee for him getting all 8’s…. didn’t see that coming from Craig.

HRVY & Janette - Contemporary + Street/Commercial: 10/10/10 = 30

I had high expectations for HRVY’s Couples Choice routine and he lived up to them…. this was a really fantastic and outstanding routine. I have to rewatch it but it looked and he danced/performed it incredibly. :omg: He did great on the Contemp parts and the Street parts too. 😮 It suited him so well, and yeah can’t wait to rewatch this - as I am sure I will really love it. Awww at him getting emotional over is family showing up on the VT.

OMGG Craig busting out the 10 this early! :omg: I kinda felt it could have happened. Wow HRVY scored the earliest perfect score on Strictly at Week 6 (even though this is a 9 week series, sooo things are different). This is also Janette’s first perfect score on Strictly too. ❤️