SCD Series 18 Discussion Thread

*Wallace

19 hours ago, DWTSFan2001 said:

No final for Amy or Anton this year (and likely not Oti either but who knows with Bill's fanbase?).

This all seems very likely.  I could see JJ lasting awhile considering if his backstory garns him some public support for awhile.

1 hour ago, Ariel1989 said:

Bill looked pretty good in the group dance, with Oti as a teacher I could see him going far; maybe not the final but far.  

Yeah I agree with you on this. I'm gonna try to figure out my pre-series predictions this week but I could see Bill going quite far, like a Final 6 or something.

I also  feel like this year is super hard to predict. I see Jacqui as an early boot, but everything is a toss-up. And not sure who I can see as the winner. It's all gonna be so unpredictable, I feel. :haha:

• Like 1

Week 1 songs & styles are revealed now! :spaz:  😄 

Bill and Oti: Cha Cha Cha to Pata Pata by Miriam Makeba

Caroline and Johannes: American Smooth to 9-5 (Morning Train) by Sheena Easton

Clara and Aljaž: Cha Cha Cha to Don't Start Now by Dua Lipa

HRVY and Janette: Jive to Faith by Stevie Wonder feat. Ariana Grande

Jacqui and Anton: Foxtrot to Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life by Monty Python

Jamie and Karen: Cha Cha Cha to Think About Things by Daði og Gagnamagnið

Jason and Luba: American Smooth to My Girl by The Temptations

JJ and Amy: Waltz to What A Wonderful World by Louis Armstrong

Maisie and Gorka: Samba to Samba (Conga) by Gloria Estefan

Max and Dianne: Tango to Best Fake Smile by James Bay

Nicola and Katya: Quickstep to Get Happy by Ella Fitzgerald

Ranvir and Giovanni: Paso Doble to End of Time by Beyoncé

Thoughts on the dances: 

- Omgg wow such a tall order for Ranvir dancing a Paso to “End of Time.” LOVE that song of course. I kinda wish this was reserved for a favorite of mine but if she can slay this, then I’m rooting for her.

- Love Clara’s song & style combo. Really looking forward to this dance.

- I kinda wish HRVY had a Jive later on in the series, as that’s a dance I can really see him nailing ad being great with with a high score too. Still looking forward to it and really like the song choice (though i was thinking he would have had a Jive to Blinding Lights).

- Like Jason’s song and he should be good with the lifts with an AS.

- Looks like Maisie has a great Latin song for a Samba, so that’s good. Always scared of a Week 1 Samba but hoping she can slay this.

- Cute song choice for Nicola. It’s a bit harder for me to see her dancing to the song but looking forward to this and should be a good happy dance.

- Looking forward to Max’s Tango despite not knowing the song. Same with Jamie’s dance/song.

- JJ has a good song for a Waltz.

Looking forward to the show!

Ooh yay thanks for posting these Wally!

Not at all surprised to be getting a "Don't Start Now" Cha-Cha. That was the one I was absolutely expecting (as well as a "Blinding Lights" Jive like Wally said)

:haha: Yay glad that Clara has it.

Interesting to see AS in the first week and will be interested to see how Caroline and Jason do, here.

Bill getting Mischa Barton's iconic Cha-Cha song! :wub: :haha: I do really like this song though so hope this will be entertaining. Other songs/couples I'm most excited for - Ranvir, HRVY, Jamie and Maisie

7 hours ago, *Lily said:

Ooh yay thanks for posting these Wally!

Reveal hidden contents

Not at all surprised to be getting a "Don't Start Now" Cha-Cha. That was the one I was absolutely expecting (as well as a "Blinding Lights" Jive like Wally said)

:haha: Yay glad that Clara has it.

Interesting to see AS in the first week and will be interested to see how Caroline and Jason do, here.

Bill getting Mischa Barton's iconic Cha-Cha song! :wub: :haha: I do really like this song though so hope this will be entertaining. Other songs/couples I'm most excited for - Ranvir, HRVY, Jamie and Maisie

You're welcome! 😄 

OMGGG is this true?  I totally didn't think of that.

:dead: LOL please let Bill's dance be better.

4 hours ago, DWTSFan2001 said:

Anton doing a routine to Monty Python? Poor Jacqui, I'm really cringing at that routine and I've not even saw it yet. 

Well everything Anton does is cringe, tbh. :giggle: 

OKAY NOT everything.... I'm exaggerating but we know he has some cringey routines. :haha: 

I finally worked on my pre-series predictions! I kept changing my mind like crazy on this while working on this. :haha: This could be completely off and wrong but it’s always fun to see this once the series is over. :dead::lmao: I would love to see some of you all’s predictions too. :giggle:

12. Jacqui & Anton

11. Ranvir & Giovanni

10. JJ & Amy

9. Jamie & Karen

8. Jason & Luba

7. Caroline & Johannes

6. Bill & Oti

2. Nicola & Katya

2. HRVY & Janette

2. Max & Dianne

2. Maisie & Gorka

1. Clara & Aljaž

- Jacqui seems like the obvious first boot of the cast, and I wouldn’t mind that. Though I am open to changing my mind if she’s not the worst. But I just see everyone else doing better - either fanbase-wise or dance-wise.

- Ranvir is tricky to predict. I feel she could make it a bit further like up to 9th but she’s not totally standing out atm. So I see her going out earlier than later.

- Then the next 3 guys I struggle with between JJ/Jamie/Jason. I see JJ being the weakest of these three but he has an emotional backstory that I can see him lasting for a few weeks. He could outlast better dancers considering how strong his story to the viewers are. I feel like Jamie and Jason could struggle with the fanbase. I see Jason being quite good/decent but fear a lack of fanbase will get him out earlier than he should. But i can also see myself being wrong and him making it further. I just think Jamie may get lost in the snuffle. I also feel the ~he’s back to redeem himself novelly~ could wear off quickly to place him 9th.

- Caroline does have a dance background but I feel she’s someone that would be great at ballroom but questionable/could struggle in Latin. I see her anywhere from the 8th to 6th, so thinking 7th is a good safe bet.

- Bill kinda gives me the fun Ed Balls type (but could be a better dancer), he seems popular and think he could do well with his personality and a fun partnership. I see him going far but ranking in the 7th/6th spot.

- I kept going back and forth on Max  and HRVY here. I can see them both going reasonably far and sometimes I can’t see them both in the final, but then times i can see them both there. :lmao: I just don’t know if HRVY would be a ~shock boot, or if Max would be good enough to be considered a ~shock boot. I keep switching my mind, b/c Janette’s track record isn’t that great. :ph34rwave: Though I would love to be proven wrong. I’ll place them both there for now.

- Nicola is also someone I struggle on ranking. I can see her placing somewhere like a 7th-5th range and then I can kinda see her in the final. Boxers tend to struggle with dancing but she seems engaging and likable enough to go decently far.

- Maisie, I see her as the strongest dancer/the ringer of the group. i see her as that dancer that will do great on the show but struggle with the fan vote but still make the final (like an Alexandra/Ashley/Karim type).

- I don’t want to get Lily’s hopes up tooo much but I really have a good feeling about Clara. As of right now, she’s the only one I can see winning (although maybe I could see Max or Nicola too if they become that journey contestant) - although of course when we see them dance, things could change. She’s not a ringer or will be amongst the best right at the start but I can see her being that journey contestant with a great lovable personality and get better each week. And I think she will have a great partnership with Aljaz to get him his second win. I’m hoping i am right for bragging rights. :dead:

Ooh I enjoyed your predictions here Wally and while I haven't thought of mine yet, I think I agree with a lot of yours and would probably be very similar :haha:

I totally agree on your Max/HRVY comments. :lmao: I feel like on paper, a Maisie/Clara/HRVY/Max combo seems like they'd be a likely top 4, but then I also feel like one or two of them could not make it, and am leaning towards the guys. But with such a smaller cast, I feel like that equals to less possible wildcards who could make the final. Although I'm not too sure who the wildcards could be in this group just yet.

Really loving your comments on Clara here too and I also don't wanna get my hopes up, but I have a good feeling :wub:  I am hoping that maybe her being one of the BBC's most current names in radio too means that she will do well, as she's a good face for the network (I think she perhaps is more well-known than Dev who didn't have that luck last year). I think she showed promise in the group dance, and I saw a lot of people who were enjoying her partnership in the launch show with Aljaz. So I'm hoping she does a good job! And she's also who I'm leaning towards as my pre-season winner pick so I hope she does me proud there (especially since my last two picks, I think, were Alex and Vick? So I need some redeeming. :dead:)

22 hours ago, *Lily said:

Ooh I enjoyed your predictions here Wally and while I haven't thought of mine yet, I think I agree with a lot of yours and would probably be very similar :haha:

I totally agree on your Max/HRVY comments. :lmao: I feel like on paper, a Maisie/Clara/HRVY/Max combo seems like they'd be a likely top 4, but then I also feel like one or two of them could not make it, and am leaning towards the guys. But with such a smaller cast, I feel like that equals to less possible wildcards who could make the final. Although I'm not too sure who the wildcards could be in this group just yet.

Really loving your comments on Clara here too and I also don't wanna get my hopes up, but I have a good feeling :wub:  I am hoping that maybe her being one of the BBC's most current names in radio too means that she will do well, as she's a good face for the network (I think she perhaps is more well-known than Dev who didn't have that luck last year). I think she showed promise in the group dance, and I saw a lot of people who were enjoying her partnership in the launch show with Aljaz. So I'm hoping she does a good job! And she's also who I'm leaning towards as my pre-season winner pick so I hope she does me proud there (especially since my last two picks, I think, were Alex and Vick? So I need some redeeming. :dead:)

Thank you for these comments here, Lily! 😄 

Yeah as of right now, I feel like predicting a Maisie/Clara/HRVY/Max Final 4 seems like the easiest thing to do on paper. But yeah no clue if Max and HRVY would split votes and one would miss out on the final. Hmmm yeah I don't know regarding wildcards either. Maybe Caroline, if she could pull off some good Latin numbers? She's someone I can see at 6th-8th but even making the final, if she has a Debbie kind of run. Maybe Jason could get in there (if he has a bigger fanbase than I expect?). Or Nicola if she turns out to be really good?

Aww yayy I knew you'd love my Clara comments. ❤️ I don't want to get hopes u too high but I have a good feeling about her. And ooo her being a BBC personality should work more in her favor than against it. :haha:  Omgg lol yesss I remember this with your last two winner picks. I had Alex as mine last year. :dead:  I did predict Stacey for S16 so I'lll always have that. :haha: Hoping we can add Clara to that though lol.

1 hour ago, rpryor03 said:

I'm just amazed all y'all are thinking HRVY could be good when he's paired with the woman who singlehandedly brought down Aston Merrygold with her choreography.

Totally agree, a bit annoyed that mega ringer HRVY gets Janette. I wish he'd have got another pro and could have done some really amazing routines since he is talented and I just don't think we'll see that. What a waste, if only Strictly would learn to give the ringers to pros who can get the best out of them.

That said, I wonder if their 'styles' may suit. Not a whole lot of ballroom there 😆. On the other hand, I could definitely see a great Cha Cha, Samba, Salsa, Jive, Charleston, Couple's Choice & Showdance from them. I imagine they'll skip Rumba and will probably do around 2 or 3 ballrooms in the season (with probably one being American Smooth).

Edited by DWTSFan2001
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, rpryor03 said:

I'm just amazed all y'all are thinking HRVY could be good when he's paired with the woman who singlehandedly brought down Aston Merrygold with her choreography.

LMAOO I know. I kept going back and forth on where to predict him. 🙈 Half of me sees HRVY being a shock boot (but hopefully not too early like Aston) but part of me thinks they can go far. I don't know where to go. I want to have faith in Janette (as I do love her), even though I'm let down a number of times.:dead: 

22 minutes ago, DWTSFan2001 said:

Totally agree, a bit annoyed that mega ringer HRVY gets Janette. I wish he'd have got another pro and could have done some really amazing routines since he is talented and I just don't think we'll see that. What a waste, if only Strictly would learn to give the ringers to pros who can get the best out of them.

That said, I wonder if their 'styles' may suit. Not a whole lot of ballroom there 😆. On the other hand, I could definitely see a great Cha Cha, Samba, Salsa, Jive, Charleston, Couple's Choice & Showdance from them. I imagine they'll skip Rumba and will probably do around 2 or 3 ballrooms in the season (with probably one being American Smooth).

I really do wish HRVY was paired with Nancy. She's small and the youngest pro, and they would have made a great pairing. :( Oooh yeah with a shorter season, they could skip a number of ballrooms.

• Like 1

Anywho, very excited for the competition to start today! :spaz:  Gonna start up my SCD game threads.

So I think I read the show comes on at 7:25pm, which is 2:25 EST time I believe? Hopefully we can find a good working live stream as I def want  to watch the show live. :haha:  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, *Wallace said:

I really do wish HRVY was paired with Nancy. She's small and the youngest pro, and they would have made a great pairing. :( Oooh yeah with a shorter season, they could skip a number of ballrooms.

I'd love Nancy to get a partner but jury is out on what to expect with her choreo and teaching so I don't think putting her with HRVY would have been a good idea. I'm generally wary of complete newbies getting ringers on their first go in case they end up flopping as pros (e.g. Graziano and to a lesser extent, Nadiya and Karen's first seasons).

She'll probably get a celeb next year as I think that this is Janette's last series and they've given her HRVY to go out on a high.

Edited by DWTSFan2001
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, DWTSFan2001 said:

I'd love Nancy to get a partner but jury is out on what to expect with her choreo and teaching so I don't think putting her with HRVY would have been a good idea. I'm generally wary of complete newbies getting ringers on their first go in case they end up flopping as pros (e.g. Graziano and to a lesser extent, Nadiya and Karen's first seasons).

She'll probably get a celeb next year as I think that this is Janette's last series and they've given her HRVY to go out on a high.

Ooh yeah I get you on this too. i can sometimes be weary but most of the time, I don't mind it. And sometimes i fully embrace it (like when Brandon got Tinashe on DWTS27. Or like Artem getting Kara on SCD8). But sometimes it can be a bad idea. Although I thought Nadiya did well with Davood - she struggled and had some controversial choreo at the start but she got it together around Week 6. Maybe Dianne could have worked for him (although i like her partnership so don't want to change that lol)

Oooh It could seeem that way. 😮 

Jamie & Karen - Cha-Cha: 4/5/5 = 14

Caroline & Johannes - American Smooth: 7/7/7 = 21

I didn’t really get to see Jamie’s dance but it had mixed reviews. From comments I’m seeing most people didn’t like it. Caroline’s American Smooth was very pretty and a cute performance. She  did seem a little nervous at times but had some nice graceful lines & movement 

Wow I thought Caroline would have gotten some 6’s there  but very good. Max up now.

Max & Dianne - Tango: 6/5/6 = 17

Clara & Aljaž - Cha-Cha: 5/6/7 = 18

Wasn’t really able to see Max’s Tango. But Dianne’s outfit seems really strange for a Tango (it’s  like a white dress). But Max got good comments on his frame. Clara’s Cha-Cha (From what I could see) looked fun and good. She performed that really well with lots of fun and energy, good leg action and partnering. She’s getting lots of great comments on this online and people saying this is the best of the night so far - and people outraged at the scores... (mainly Craig's) (people thinking she should have scored higher than Caroline). Can’t wait to see this properly.

Jacqui up next.

Jacqui & Anton - Foxtrot: 3/5/5 = 13

JJ & Amy - Waltz: 6/6/7 = 19

Not very positive comments for Jacqui but some people are saying she was better than expected so that’s a good thing lol. Also comments saying there was a lot of filler in the routine. JJ gave a very nice, pretty and respectable Waltz, and I felt this was a dance that really suited him. it did seem that Amy danced around him a bit but he did well with what he was given. I do fear for his Latin and many other styles. But a pleasant surprise here.

Woww really great scores for JJ there. Was not expecting that, especially the 7. 😮 Maisie Samba next!

Maisie & Gorka - Samba: 8/8/8 = 24

Jason & Luba - American Smooth: 4/6/6 = 16

I probably only saw about 7 seconds of Maisie’s Samba but danggg she kinda tore it up and did a fantastic job with that. 😮 If anyone could nail a Samba on Week 1, it would be Maisie. So I get why they gave her that style now. :haha: I heard positive comments from Shirley and an A-MAZ-ING from Craig. 😮 

Jason was really upping the performance factor on his AS. He looks SO happy in this. :giggle: He gave a joyous and fun AS. He did seem a bit hip-hop’ish with some of his movements, but also had a natural groove and style to him. Didn’t see the parts in hold too well so can’t comment there. 

Ranvir up now.