idolforums.com
Crisis

Pandora's Box: A Random Idol Rankings Thread

On 9/3/2020 at 8:53 PM, Crisis said:

Yeah, it happens; speaking of spoilers, one thing I plan on doing for the upcoming season is not watch any Idol episodes until the semi-finals start, which means I probably won't be all that active on the boards at the beginning of the season so I can avoid any spoilers. Back to The Masked Singer, I would like to share my thoughts; however, I don't think this thread is the right place for it and I don't have any idea where to share them. 🤷‍♂️ As for Nicole, the main thing I remember about her on TXFUS is the backlash she received over Rachel Crow's elimination. It's nice to see she's doing better in the UK version; I think I've watched an episode or two, but I'm not sure which season it was. I agree with you on her being an amazing singer. :yes:

Unfortunately, I don't think I remember seeing any of your lists or redos. :( The main one I do remember is Wallace's finalist list after S15. With that said, I would be more than happy to read and participate if you create anything new. 👍 It is a shame that so much work is lost after all those years; however, there will hopefully be new work for the future and they will be better preserved. Thank you for the last sentence. :hug:

Oh really, why don't you want to watch the earlier rounds? 😮  Aw, well I'm curious at least who you liked best on the first season? I hope you're enjoying the second. Oh yes, I do remember that moment with Rachel. :( 

Oh. 😢 I think the last big Idol list I did was after season 7. I had a redo thread too after S15. I planned to rank all the contestants in there as well, but never got to it. Aww thank you. ❤️Yes, I agree and hope so. ❤️ :hug:

010. David Cook - Billie Jean: Yes, this was definitely one of the defining moments for David, for me. I loved the arrangement of this song and how well it suited him.  This was so intense and powerful.

009. Kris Allen - Heartless:  One of my all-time favorites. :wub: Again, I love how Kris rearranged the song and made it so different to fit his style. This was a huge moment for him to propel him into the finale and I wouldn't have it any other way. ❤️ I'm curious what you think is the most "clutch" performance? 😮  Never mind, I see you answered this in the next set. 

008. Siobhan Magnus - Paint It Black: This doesn't stand out for me as an all-time favorite, but I do think it was strong from Siobhan and probably her best moment. 

007. Pia Toscano - I'll Stand By You: My favorite performance from Pia. Her vocals were fantastic, as they always were, but something about this performance stands out against the rest of heres for me. 

006. Candice Glover - I (Who Have Nothing): I agree Candice always had amazing vocals and this was another example of how powerful she was. I loved her version of this.

005. Haley Reinhart - I (Who Have Nothing): Back to back versions of this song. :teeheewave:  This was a great one from Haley, although not my favorite from her. I still prefer Jordin's over the others, but there's no denying this was a strong showing from Haley.

004. Blake Lewis - You Give Love A Bad Name: Yess, definitely an iconic moment for Blake, the season, and Idol in general. The way he changed up this song was shocking, but so effective. I love that you call this the most groundbreaking in Idol history. ❤️ 

003. Kelly Clarkson - Stuff Like That There:  Yayy, two of my submissions made your top 4. :giggle: Of course I absolutely love it and everything about it. Her vocals, stage presence, style and everything was so perfect. As you said, she really sold this song as if she was in that era,. ❤️ 

002. Candice Glover - Lovesong: LOL your change of mind between the Candice performances. :lmao:But yes, this is another fantastic one from her and one of my favorites. I never heard the song like this and thought it was so amazing and a great showcase for her voice. 

001. Elise Testone - Whole Lotta Love: Truly shocking. 😮 :giggle: Kidding, of course. I'm not a huge Elise fan, but I can't disagree with your comments on the great things about this performance. It was a standout from her and she performed and sang it like a pro. It was very impressive. 

1 hour ago, miss denise said:

Oh really, why don't you want to watch the earlier rounds? 😮  Aw, well I'm curious at least who you liked best on the first season? I hope you're enjoying the second. Oh yes, I do remember that moment with Rachel. :( 

Oh. 😢 I think the last big Idol list I did was after season 7. I had a redo thread too after S15. I planned to rank all the contestants in there as well, but never got to it. Aww thank you. ❤️Yes, I agree and hope so. ❤️ :hug:

010. David Cook - Billie Jean: Yes, this was definitely one of the defining moments for David, for me. I loved the arrangement of this song and how well it suited him.  This was so intense and powerful.

009. Kris Allen - Heartless:  One of my all-time favorites. :wub: Again, I love how Kris rearranged the song and made it so different to fit his style. This was a huge moment for him to propel him into the finale and I wouldn't have it any other way. ❤️ I'm curious what you think is the most "clutch" performance? 😮  Never mind, I see you answered this in the next set. 

008. Siobhan Magnus - Paint It Black: This doesn't stand out for me as an all-time favorite, but I do think it was strong from Siobhan and probably her best moment. 

007. Pia Toscano - I'll Stand By You: My favorite performance from Pia. Her vocals were fantastic, as they always were, but something about this performance stands out against the rest of heres for me. 

006. Candice Glover - I (Who Have Nothing): I agree Candice always had amazing vocals and this was another example of how powerful she was. I loved her version of this.

005. Haley Reinhart - I (Who Have Nothing): Back to back versions of this song. :teeheewave:  This was a great one from Haley, although not my favorite from her. I still prefer Jordin's over the others, but there's no denying this was a strong showing from Haley.

004. Blake Lewis - You Give Love A Bad Name: Yess, definitely an iconic moment for Blake, the season, and Idol in general. The way he changed up this song was shocking, but so effective. I love that you call this the most groundbreaking in Idol history. ❤️ 

003. Kelly Clarkson - Stuff Like That There:  Yayy, two of my submissions made your top 4. :giggle: Of course I absolutely love it and everything about it. Her vocals, stage presence, style and everything was so perfect. As you said, she really sold this song as if she was in that era,. ❤️ 

002. Candice Glover - Lovesong: LOL your change of mind between the Candice performances. :lmao:But yes, this is another fantastic one from her and one of my favorites. I never heard the song like this and thought it was so amazing and a great showcase for her voice. 

001. Elise Testone - Whole Lotta Love: Truly shocking. 😮 :giggle: Kidding, of course. I'm not a huge Elise fan, but I can't disagree with your comments on the great things about this performance. It was a standout from her and she performed and sang it like a pro. It was very impressive. 

I just want to have my first impressions of the contestants being when they perform in the semi-finals and not from what they did in their auditions or Hollywood. I've tried to do that for a few seasons, but I always gave in and watched from the beginning. As for The Masked Singer, I liked The Monster in the first season, so I was happy to see him win. I just marathoned the second season, and I liked The Rottweiler, Fox, and Flower. I was disappointed to see The Flower cut as early as she was. I'll probably start the third season this weekend. Yeah, that wasn't a good moment for her, and I felt the backlash she received was unfair.

Sorry. 💔 It's too bad the list and redo was lost and that you didn't get a chance to rank the contestants. 💔 Who knows, maybe more will come forward and create some threads of their own.

010. I agree with pretty much everything written about this performance.

009. I agree with how he re-arranged the song to fit his style and that it was a huge moment to propel him into the finale. It was great to see.

008. Fair enough about it not standing out. I agree with it being her best moment.

007. This appears to be a popular opinion regarding this performance. Despite it not being my favorite of hers (it's my second), I can see how it would stand out against the rest of her performances.

006. I don't have much to say but pretty much agree with everything here.

005. Fair enough about it not being the favorite version. I definitely agree about it being a strong showing for her.

004. It was certainly a standout for him. It was shocking yet effective, and though I'm not a huge fan of his per se, I can't overlook the impact this performance had.

003. Happy to see two of your submissions made my Top 4. I pretty much agree with everything said here.

002. Yeah, though I have contrary opinions, I had no idea what I was thinking when I said that at first. It's funny how re-watching certain things can cause some to see things differently. :haha: I agree with everything else written here.

001. Surprise of the century here. 😮 🤭 Fair enough about not being a huge fan. At least you give her props for this performance. 😄

I've decided to go ahead and rank the coronation songs next. However, I haven't decided whether or not to do the live performances or the recordings. Whatever I decide to do, it won't be until tomorrow evening at the earliest.

11 hours ago, Crisis said:

I've decided to go ahead and rank the coronation songs next. However, I haven't decided whether or not to do the live performances or the recordings. Whatever I decide to do, it won't be until tomorrow evening at the earliest.

My suggestion would to do the song as a whole, so probably rely more heavily on the recording as coronation songs are created as the artist's song to get into the industry which relies mainly on the song itself and not the performance of it although a better performance of it, did make it more likely for a winner to win. 

• Like 1

After thinking about it for a while, I've decided to make this more interactive. Instead of just me ranking the coronation songs, I'm going to open it up and have IDF rank the songs themselves. Here are the guidelines:

• The coronation songs will only be the winners' songs
  • I'll post the songs, and anyone who wants to participate can PM me their rankings
  • The rankings can be based either on the performances or studio recordings
  • The rankings will be based on a scale from 1-18, with 1 being the favorite and 18 being the least favorite
  • If possible, please rank based on the songs and not how one feels about the contestants
  • This is completely optional; however, any write-ups on the songs can be submitted if desired

The deadline for submissions will be 9/11 at 11:00 PM EST. I want to post the rankings on 9/12 at the earliest.

With everything said and done, here are the songs:

Kelly Clarkson - A Moment Like This

Ruben Studdard - Flying Without Wings

Fantasia - I Believe

Carrie Underwood - Inside Your Heaven

Taylor Hicks - Do I Make You Proud

Jordin Sparks - This Is My Now

David Cook - Time Of My Life

Kris Allen - No Boundaries

Lee DeWyze - Beautiful Day

Scotty McCreery - I Love You This Big

Phillip Phillips - Home

Candice Glover - I Am Beautiful

Caleb Johnson - As Long As You Love Me

Nick Fradiani - Beautiful Life

Trent Harmon - Falling

Maddie Poppe - Going Going Gone

Laine Hardy - Flame

Samantha "Just Sam" Diaz - Rise Up

If no one submits anything, I'll go ahead and rank them myself. With that said, I'm interested to see how this goes!

Edited by Crisis
I should clarify I mean 11:00 PM EST
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Crisis said:

After thinking about it for a while, I've decided to make this more interactive. Instead of just me ranking the coronation songs, I'm going to open it up and have IDF rank the songs themselves. Here are the guidelines:

• I'll post the songs, and anyone who wants to participate can PM me their rankings
  • The rankings will be based on a scale from 1-18, with 1 being the favorite and 18 being the least favorite
  • If possible, please rank based on the songs and not how one feels about the contestants
  • This is completely optional; however, any write-ups on the songs can be submitted if desired

The deadline for submissions will be 9/11 at 11:00 EST. I want to post the rankings on 9/12 at the earliest.

Fantasia - I Believe

Phillip Phillips - Home

Trent Harmon - Falling

Laine Hardy - Flame

If no one submits anything, I'll go ahead and rank them myself. With that said, I'm interested to see how this goes!

I’ll try to send you my ranking and write-ups for my Top 3 songs and bottom 3 songs. I do have schoolwork to do though, so no guarantees. 😅

Edited by Bk1234

4 hours ago, Bk1234 said:

I’ll try to send you my ranking and write-ups for my Top 3 songs and bottom 3 songs. I do have schoolwork to do though, so no guarantees. 😅

That's fine if you're unable to submit anything. I know the feeling of schoolwork, as I have to do some myself. :/

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Crisis said:

The deadline for submissions will be 9/11 at 11:00 PM EST. I want to post the rankings on 9/12 at the earliest.

Fantasia - I Believe

Phillip Phillips - Home

Trent Harmon - Falling

Laine Hardy - Flame

Is anyone else submitting anything? I’d feel bad if I was the only one planning on doing it and I couldn’t get it done... 😕

1 hour ago, Bk1234 said:

Is anyone else submitting anything? I’d feel bad if I was the only one planning on doing it and I couldn’t get it done... 😕

I already submitted

• Thanks 2

On 9/7/2020 at 7:00 PM, Crisis said:

I just want to have my first impressions of the contestants being when they perform in the semi-finals and not from what they did in their auditions or Hollywood. I've tried to do that for a few seasons, but I always gave in and watched from the beginning. As for The Masked Singer, I liked The Monster in the first season, so I was happy to see him win. I just marathoned the second season, and I liked The Rottweiler, Fox, and Flower. I was disappointed to see The Flower cut as early as she was. I'll probably start the third season this weekend. Yeah, that wasn't a good moment for her, and I felt the backlash she received was unfair.

Sorry. 💔 It's too bad the list and redo was lost and that you didn't get a chance to rank the contestants. 💔 Who knows, maybe more will come forward and create some threads of their own.

Ah okay, that could be fun! I actually did that often with international versions of the show, but more so because it was easier. :haha:  Oh yay! I liked Monster too, although I also liked Peacock and Rabbit. Rottweiler was my favorite of season two for sure! ❤️  I was really disappointed he didn't win, even though Fox was probably my second favorite. Hope you enjoy the third season! :wub: :shiftywave: I agree. :(  

It's okay. Yeah, I lost tons of projects I did over the years. :( Although with that, my redos were done way before the forum crashed, I just never ended up doing the ranking afterward. :haha:  Maybe!

On 9/7/2020 at 8:07 PM, Crisis said:

Oh, this is a good one! I should have thought of this. :haha:  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bk1234 said:

I will submit mine. :yes: 

• Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, miss denise said:

Ah okay, that could be fun! I actually did that often with international versions of the show, but more so because it was easier. :haha:  Oh yay! I liked Monster too, although I also liked Peacock and Rabbit. Rottweiler was my favorite of season two for sure! ❤️  I was really disappointed he didn't win, even though Fox was probably my second favorite. Hope you enjoy the third season! :wub: :shiftywave:

Oh, this is a good one! I should have thought of this. :haha:  

I can see how much easier it is to do so with the international versions. :haha: Rabbit was pretty fun, especially with the commitment to his character. I also liked Bee. One favorite from season two I forgot to mention was Thingamajig, especially with the pretend flirting between him and Nicole. :haha: Also, it was cool to see the artistic talent of Rottweiler; I certainly was not expecting that from him. As for Fox, I thought his last performance all but wrapped up the victory for him, especially with the rap in the middle. Thank you, and hopefully I'll enjoy it as well! 😄

Credit for this topic goes to @Bk1234. It is a good one indeed! 😄 I'm going to listen, or in some cases re-listen, to the songs myself so I know where I stand with them.

• Thanks 1

I don’t have a lot of schoolwork for this week so I’m doing write-ups for my top four and bottom four. 😊 I already finished write-ups for my top three. 😄

Edited by Bk1234
  • Thanks 1

Just a friendly reminder: the deadline for the coronation song submissions is tomorrow at 11:00 PM EST. 🙂

• Thanks 1

Before I forget, I just wanted to say that today is MacKenzie Bourg’s birthday! 🎂 🎉  MacKenzie is one of my favorite Idol contestants so I thought I’d just write a little memo in here, since I don’t believe he has a fan thread. 🙂 

~I remember MacKenzie‘s audition from Season 15 so vividly, which is very rare for me! :haha: I remember that he did a mash-up of songs from all three judges, which immediately caught my eye. My next memory of him is when he sang his original song Roses again during the live shows. I’ll just say that I would have thrown one million roses onto that stage if I could! :yes: I really wanted MacKenzie to win that season, but I knew he wouldn’t be able to conquer the power duo that was Trent and La’Porsha. Needless to say, MacKenzie remained my favorite from Season 15. 😊 All of his originals are worth a listen, so I hope he makes an album with more (in case you’re wondering, this is his progress... “brb finishing my album.”)~

7433058.jpeg

Edited by Bk1234
  • Like 1

The deadline for submissions is now closed. Thank you to those who submitted their rankings.

I'm going to look at them and determine how to list them. I'll try to have them up tomorrow at the earliest.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Bk1234 said:

Before I forget, I just wanted to say that today is MacKenzie Bourg’s birthday! 🎂 🎉  MacKenzie is one of my favorite Idol contestants so I thought I’d just write a little memo in here, since I don’t believe he has a fan thread. 🙂 

~I remember MacKenzie‘s audition from Season 15 so vividly, which is very rare for me! :haha: I remember that he did a mash-up of songs from all three judges, which immediately caught my eye. My next memory of him is when he sang his original song Roses again during the live shows. I’ll just say that I would have thrown one million roses onto that stage if I could! :yes: I really wanted MacKenzie to win that season, but I knew he wouldn’t be able to conquer the power duo that was Trent and La’Porsha. Needless to say, MacKenzie remained my favorite from Season 15. 😊 All of his originals are worth a listen, so I hope he makes an album with more (in case you’re wondering, this is his progress... “brb finishing my album.”)~

7433058.jpeg

I'm not the biggest MacKenzie fan, but this is a nice mini write-up of him and it's easy to see how much of a fan of his you are based on it. :yes:

After looking at and calculating the rankings, there is a tie between two songs. Before I post the rankings, I'll allow the public to vote which song should be ranked higher, without giving away the placements of course. If there is a tie or no one votes, I'll be the deciding vote and vote on which song I like the most. Without further ado, here are the two songs:

Kris AllenNo Boundaries

Nick FradianiBeautiful Life

The vote can be posted in this thread. Please only vote once, and tag me so I'll know which post is the official vote. Voting will be open until 11:00 PM EST tonight. I'm interested to see what happens from here. 🙂

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Kris AllenNo Boundaries

Nick FradianiBeautiful Life

:duh: 

@Crisis I’m putting my vote in a spoiler tab. Please don’t view it unless you’re Crisis! :no: 

Kris Allen- No Boundaries

Edited by Bk1234

Ugh well as much as I hate to rank Nick above Kris for any reason, "Beautiful Life" is definitely a better song than "No Boundaries" which should be ranked dead last.

As for MacKenzie? He's alright I guess in retrospect. His fanbase got on my nerves quite a bit back when his season was airing, overrating him while attacking Dalton and La'Porsha for not being "commercial" "enough", which I know isn't MacKenzie's fault but still. He's grown on me a bit in the years since, and it helps that he's adorable in both looks and personality.

29 minutes ago, The Ghost of Weedy Speedy said:

He's grown on me a bit in the years since, and it helps that he's adorable in both looks and personality.

Aah yes, I forgot to mention that part. :giggle: 

I know it's late, but voting is now closed. Based on the results, Beautiful Life wins and will be placed above No Boundaries in the ranking.

Speaking of which, I'll try to have the first few up some time tomorrow morning or afternoon.

• Thanks 1