Pandora's Box: A Random Idol Rankings Thread

Crisis

Time to kick off the Top 10!

10. Allison Iraheta - I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing

Kicking off the Top 10 is the second I Don’t Wanna Miss A Thing submission. Comparing it to the Jessica Sanchez version, Allison’s was much better. However, it was still one of her weakest performances of the season although it’s not my least favorite of hers (that would be Don’t Speak if anyone’s curious). Nonetheless, this performance still has a few positives going for it. First, Allison definitely put her heart into her singing. Though there were some rough spots vocally, it did appear she was trying to connect to the song. Furthermore, I liked the orchestral arrangement in the beginning and hoped it would last throughout the performance. As for the negatives, the first is although I liked the beginning, I didn’t care for the rest of the arrangement. There were times when the music was too loud and I could barely hear Allison. In addition, it’s a song that has been done to death on Idol, so I was just over it. Overall, while not one of Allison’s better performances, I do think it’s one of the best ones in this ranking and thus, I decided it would be a great performance to kick off the Top 10 with.

9. Maddie Poppe - Going Going Gone

Maddie was perhaps the most consistent contestant during S16. She didn’t have too many hiccups during her winning run, and the ones that were weren’t as big as some of the other contestants. With that said, her coronation song performance of Going Going Gone was one of her weaker showings. Then again, the coronation song performances are usually among the weakest of the contestants mainly due to a lack of familiarity with the song. Nonetheless, it’s my second least favorite of hers, only ahead of If It Makes You Happy. It looked to me as if she was going through the motions of the performance. With that said, however, she looked the most comfortable with her song, and I thought it was the best of the three that night. In addition, the song itself is pretty catchy although it grew on me after not being much of a fan of it. With everything said, it is definitely better than the other coronation song submitted and is one of the better performances overall in this ranking. Thus, it occupies a spot in my Top 10 here.

8. Syesha Mercado - Hit Me Up

I’ve expressed my opinions on Syesha multiple times, so I’ll go straight into the performance. Syesha was someone who had an interesting run on Idol. She was in the B2/B3 multiple times and perhaps received the most negative feedback from the judges. Despite all of this, she managed to make it all the way to the Top 3. Because of this, it was thought the producers were afraid she could potentially break up the David/David finale (this is pure speculation on my behalf); thus they gave her the song Hit Me Up from the Happy Feet soundtrack. The song itself is fun and catchy; however, as with Ashley and Sir Duke, it does no one any favors when it comes to advancing in the competition although in Syesha’s case she had no choice. With that said, Syesha did the best she could with it. She performed with great energy, and I don’t think she sounded too bad on it. Plus she had some really nice and dare I say sensual moves. I would say this is one of her more underrated performances, but as mentioned it wasn’t one for the circumstances. Regardless, I felt she had worse performances than this, and I feel it’s one of the better ones here.

7. Carrie Underwood - Love Is A Battlefield

Carrie is someone I liked on the show but became a bigger fan of post-Idol. With that said she wasn’t the most consistent contestant, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing (after all, my all-time favorite contestant had one of the most inconsistent Idol runs of all time :haha:). One of her weaker performances of the season was her Top 8 showing of Love Is A Battlefield. After taking on Ann Wilson and coming out on top three weeks prior, Carrie decided to take on another female powerhouse rock vocalist in Pat Benatar. Unfortunately, she fell short this time around. There were some pitch issues, plus she flubbed some lines in the chorus. With that said, the reason this performance is this high is because it’s a huge guilty pleasure of mine. :haha: I guess I have a soft spot for sweet and wholesome girls trying to be this tough bad:censored: (see also Haley Scarnato’s Queen of the Night performance). :giggle: One positive is Carrie tried to move around and work the stage more, considering a major knock on her during the season was her lack of stage presence. Based solely on the performance, this would be in the bottom half of the ranking; however, I enjoyed it more than most of the submissions and thus its high rank.

6. Kelly Clarkson - It's Raining Men

Just missing out on the Top 5 is the first of Kelly’s submissions. Kelly needs no introduction, so I’m going to hop right into the performance. Her first Top 4 showing It’s Raining Men was definitely her weakest performance of the season, IMO. The song itself is a powerful and high energy number, but while Kelly provided the power, she lacked the energy and stage presence. In addition, while I just said she had the power, her voice didn’t sound as strong as it normally did. With all of this said, Kelly was sick this week and therefore gets a bit of a pass for this performance. The song itself is very challenging to sing when healthy, so imagine how difficult it is when one is not at 100%. Furthermore, while this was Kelly’s weakest performance, she at her worst is better than most contestants at their best. To take it even further, this was better than two other performances that week (Tamyra’s New Attitude and Justin’s P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing). While this was Kelly’s worst effort, it’s still one of the best performances submitted and therefore, I have no qualms ranking it fairly high.

10. Allison Iraheta - I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing

09. Maddie Poppe - Going Going Gone

08. Syesha Mercado - Hit Me Up

07. Carrie Underwood - Love Is A Battlefield

06. Kelly Clarkson - It's Raining Men

Remaining Performances:

Candice Glover - Ordinary People

Elise Testone - Let’s Stay Together

Elliott Yamin - Open Arms

Kelly Clarkson - I Surrender

Pia Toscano - Where Do Broken Hearts Go

Five more to go! We'll see how they rank...

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Crisis said:

- I did listen to it, and he does sound very nice here. I'm glad you enjoyed and got the reference. :haha:

- Yeah, at least those performances have that going for them. Apparently we do. 😂 If only she was as kind to another Haley... :/ :haha:

Needless to say, Pop got a serious makeover. 🤣

Oh, I see about Varchie, Barchie, and Bughead. So they were together for a while. Seeing that the show hasn't been on since Spring and that they broke up recently, I guess no one knows what their working relationship will be like. 🤷‍♂️ Hopefully they will be on at least amicable terms. As I said, I'm sure you'll be able to get through them all. :yes: I hope you enjoy them when you have the time to read them!

Yeah, she was a sweet dog who was very energetic in her younger years, so it was difficult to see her have a hard time moving around during her last days. :( She did live a wonderful life. I'm glad as well. That is a great mindset to have. I don't have any children or pets of my own, and I don't think I'm at the point to where I'm financially confident enough to do so. It looks like we're in the same boat regarding this. :haha: Heh, I'm way behind on The Voice; I barely finished the auditions and haven't started the Battle Rounds yet. In addition, I have yet to watch the Nicole/Derek DWTS routines. 😂

Reveal hidden contents

Oh, OK. It's good to see you having fun with it.

Yep. 👏 The second clue would've been picked up if one was familiar with her upbringing. I see your point about the last clue. Happy to see you're a fan of hers as an artist and as a person. I definitely agree about her being beautiful and especially your thoughts over the makeup "controversy". No arguments from me about her styles she can pull off. I guess it's easy to see what I'm talking about even with the censoring. :haha: She isn't too crass or anything like that, but she will utter some profanity every now and then. Glad you get the appeal of her speaking voice. :wub: Great minds think alike regarding the first three albums, especially the one that's played the most. 👍 Yeah, out of her singles, that's the one I care about the least. :( Definitely agree about her being an all around talented musician. I haven't seen her much on The Voice either, but it looks like she won a season, so maybe that says what we need to know about her as a coach. Tell You Something is my favorite out of the posted ones as well. That medley was great indeed. :wub:

Reveal hidden contents

Especially since the grader refuses to submit anything worth grading on. 😉 🤣

- Yay! ❤️ 

- Aww the other Haley comment. :blushingwave: 

:lmao: 

Yeah, I guess we will have to wait and see if this affects anything on the show. :( Haha thank you! And me too. ^_^ 

That is so sad to hear. :( It's the most difficult thing about owning a pet, but important to continue to be there for them even when it's so difficult. :broken: Thank you. Yes, it seems so. :haha: I am itching more and more to have an animal, but don't know realistically how soon it could happen. Oh, well at least you have a lot to keep you busy. :haha: 

I feel even MORE like a panelist from TMS now that I pieced together a bunch of clues for a wrong answer. :haha: At least my first guess was right. :giggle:Yes, I am glad we agree too! The censoring is definitely easy to decipher. :haha: Oh, I see about the profanity. Aww that's too bad about No One. :( Oh, I don't know if I knew she won a season of The Voice or not, but that's great! Yay for us having the same favorite. ❤️ 

10. Allison Iraheta - I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing: I think I mentioned earlier that I love this song a lot, but it is overdone on these singing shows. :( A lot of the versions aren't too impressive, but Allison's is probably up there with my favorites. I really love her voice on the song, although agree she had many stronger showings. Don't Speak is my least favorite from her too. 

09. Maddie Poppe - Going Going Gone: I was not a fan of this song (or Maddie) when it was performed, so I didn't care for it much. Like you, the song has grown on me over time and I like Maddie a lot more now too. This was fine enough for me, although Gabby's coronation performance was still my favorite. 

08. Syesha Mercado - Hit Me Up: Yeah, this was not a great song choice to showcase much of her talent, but I thought she did what she could with it. The beginning was the strongest for me, but the chorus fell kind of flat. 

07. Carrie Underwood - Love Is A Battlefield: lol I love how this is a guilty pleasure for you and the soft spot you have for sweet girls doing songs like this. :haha: I do enjoy it somewhat, but wasn't one of my favorites from Carrie (hence submitting it for this). I would be curious to see her perform this song now though.

06. Kelly Clarkson - It's Raining Men: I know this is viewed as one of Kelly's worst performances, if not her worst, but I don't think it's that bad. Like you said, Kelly at her worst is still better than many at their best. :haha:  It's too bad she was sick this week, although that showed for me more on her other performance. This was still solid, and I am again curious to see how she would sing this song these days. 😮 

10. Allison Iraheta- I Don’t Wanna Miss A Thing - The reason why I submitted this song for Allison is because it was one of the only performances where her voice started to kind of annoy me. There were rough parts to this performance and I just wanted to stop this listening. 🤷‍♂️ I did feel the passion in her singing though, which is something I lacked from Jessica’s version. Overall, I think this is a fair spot, considering the songs that were submitted.

9. Maddie Poppe- Going Going Gone This was Maddie’s worst performance? I thought the one with the electric guitar was worse than this, but fair enough. 🤷‍♂️ First of all, this performance reminds me of how annoyed I was seeing Katy lay all her support out for Maddie, when Gabby’s coronation song was WAY better (in my opinion.) 😒 Anyway, this performance wasn’t vocally impressive and like you said, it felt like she was just going through the motions. It’s certainly the better coronation song submission on this list though. 😅 

8. Syesha Mercado- Hit Me Up To be honest, I was probably more disappointed with the producers than Syesha after this performance. This was complete SABOTAGE, and might I add, unnecessary sabotage, because no one was making a dent in that David/David finale! 😅 I agree that Syesha made the best of the situation and thought her vocals were PRETTY good. After a re-watch, I liked this performance a lot more than I thought I would, so maybe I will agree that there are other performances I like less. 🤔 

7. Carrie Underwood- Love Is A Battlefield My main issue with this performance is that it came across as very shouty. I liked that she worked the stage, but vocally, the performance was very one note. I personally think you ranked this one too high, but that fact that it’s a guilty pleasure of yours explains everything. :giggle: 

6. Kelly Clarkson- It’s Raining Men The fact that this was Kelly’s worst performance just shows how good of a contestant she was. 😃 I agree that she didn’t match the energy the song required in terms of stage presence, but vocally, I thought she was there. Overall, while this is Kelly’s worst, I agree that it is one of the best submissions. 

3 hours ago, Crisis said:

Remaining Performances:

Candice Glover - Ordinary People

Elise Testone - Let’s Stay Together

Kelly Clarkson - I Surrender

Pia Toscano - Where Do Broken Hearts Go

There’s a clear winner to me. :yes: 

1 hour ago, miss denise said:

- Yay! ❤️ 

- Aww the other Haley comment. :blushingwave: 

Yeah, I guess we will have to wait and see if this affects anything on the show. :( Haha thank you! And me too. ^_^ 

That is so sad to hear. :( It's the most difficult thing about owning a pet, but important to continue to be there for them even when it's so difficult. :broken: Thank you. Yes, it seems so. :haha: I am itching more and more to have an animal, but don't know realistically how soon it could happen. Oh, well at least you have a lot to keep you busy. :haha: 

Reveal hidden contents

I feel even MORE like a panelist from TMS now that I pieced together a bunch of clues for a wrong answer. :haha: At least my first guess was right. :giggle:Yes, I am glad we agree too! The censoring is definitely easy to decipher. :haha: Oh, I see about the profanity. Aww that's too bad about No One. :( Oh, I don't know if I knew she won a season of The Voice or not, but that's great! Yay for us having the same favorite. ❤️ 

10. Allison Iraheta - I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing: I think I mentioned earlier that I love this song a lot, but it is overdone on these singing shows. :( A lot of the versions aren't too impressive, but Allison's is probably up there with my favorites. I really love her voice on the song, although agree she had many stronger showings. Don't Speak is my least favorite from her too. 

09. Maddie Poppe - Going Going Gone: I was not a fan of this song (or Maddie) when it was performed, so I didn't care for it much. Like you, the song has grown on me over time and I like Maddie a lot more now too. This was fine enough for me, although Gabby's coronation performance was still my favorite. 

08. Syesha Mercado - Hit Me Up: Yeah, this was not a great song choice to showcase much of her talent, but I thought she did what she could with it. The beginning was the strongest for me, but the chorus fell kind of flat. 

07. Carrie Underwood - Love Is A Battlefield: lol I love how this is a guilty pleasure for you and the soft spot you have for sweet girls doing songs like this. :haha: I do enjoy it somewhat, but wasn't one of my favorites from Carrie (hence submitting it for this). I would be curious to see her perform this song now though.

06. Kelly Clarkson - It's Raining Men: I know this is viewed as one of Kelly's worst performances, if not her worst, but I don't think it's that bad. Like you said, Kelly at her worst is still better than many at their best. :haha:  It's too bad she was sick this week, although that showed for me more on her other performance. This was still solid, and I am again curious to see how she would sing this song these days. 😮 

- 👍

- She didn't look too impressed with Haley when she was a mentor during S6. :/ Considering she had a theme named after her, she could've been more gracious. :/ :haha:

Yeah, we'll see what happens from here. Hopefully, there isn't too much drama.

It is the most difficult thing about owning a pet. :( Still I think the positives outweigh the negatives. I completely agree about being there for them no matter the circumstances. Completely understandable about wanting to have an animal but not being realistic to do so at this time. I'm sure the time will come when you'll be able to have one. :yes: I do have a lot to keep me busy. I'll definitely try to get to the routines this upcoming weekend. :haha:

I'll just get rid of the spoiler tags now. It does feel that way. I've had that happen to me a couple of times, with the main one being Baby Alien (then again I don't think many got that one correct). :haha: I was just better off saying the word since it was so easy to decipher; I guess I was trying to be polite. :haha: It's too bad I don't like the song more than I do. Based on my Internet search, she apparently won S12 and became the second female coach to win on the show. What can I say, game recognizes game or in this case, taste recognize taste. 😉 :haha:

:/ :lmao:

10. I agree about the song being overdone on these singing shows. With that said, I do think Allison had one of the better performances of it despite it being one of her weaker performances. I'm happy to see the agreement about Don't Speak being her weakest performance.

09. Fair enough about the initial thoughts on the song and Maddie. I think I explained why I wasn't a fan of Gabby's, but in case I didn't, it's because it sounded as if it were all over the place genre-wise. One minute it's gospel, the next it's R&B, after that it's country. I was like what does the song want to be. :haha:

08. I pretty much agree with the thoughts on this performance, especially with it not being a great song choice to showcase her talent. Fair enough about the beginning being the strongest.

07. What can I say, I'm easy. :haha: Even taking away the guilty pleasure component, while it was certainly one of her weakest performances, I felt she had a few that were worse (the main two being MacArthur Park and If You Don't Know Me By Now). I think she would be a lot better on this song if she were to sing it now.

06. I don't have much to say but I pretty much agree with everything written. 👍

50 minutes ago, Bk1234 said:

10. Allison Iraheta- I Don’t Wanna Miss A Thing - The reason why I submitted this song for Allison is because it was one of the only performances where her voice started to kind of annoy me. There were rough parts to this performance and I just wanted to stop this listening. 🤷‍♂️ I did feel the passion in her singing though, which is something I lacked from Jessica’s version. Overall, I think this is a fair spot, considering the songs that were submitted.

9. Maddie Poppe- Going Going Gone This was Maddie’s worst performance? I thought the one with the electric guitar was worse than this, but fair enough. 🤷‍♂️ First of all, this performance reminds me of how annoyed I was seeing Katy lay all her support out for Maddie, when Gabby’s coronation song was WAY better (in my opinion.) 😒 Anyway, this performance wasn’t vocally impressive and like you said, it felt like she was just going through the motions. It’s certainly the better coronation song submission on this list though. 😅 

8. Syesha Mercado- Hit Me Up To be honest, I was probably more disappointed with the producers than Syesha after this performance. This was complete SABOTAGE, and might I add, unnecessary sabotage, because no one was making a dent in that David/David finale! 😅 I agree that Syesha made the best of the situation and thought her vocals were PRETTY good. After a re-watch, I liked this performance a lot more than I thought I would, so maybe I will agree that there are other performances I like less. 🤔 

7. Carrie Underwood- Love Is A Battlefield My main issue with this performance is that it came across as very shouty. I liked that she worked the stage, but vocally, the performance was very one note. I personally think you ranked this one too high, but that fact that it’s a guilty pleasure of yours explains everything. :giggle: 

6. Kelly Clarkson- It’s Raining Men The fact that this was Kelly’s worst performance just shows how good of a contestant she was. 😃 I agree that she didn’t match the energy the song required in terms of stage presence, but vocally, I thought she was there. Overall, while this is Kelly’s worst, I agree that it is one of the best submissions. 

10. Fair enough about everything written here. I did hear the rough parts in her voice during my re-watch.

9. I agree that If It Makes You Happy (the one with the electric guitar) was her worst performance. I disagree about Gabby's coronation song being better, but fair enough. Pretty much in agreement with the thoughts on the performance, especially with it being better than the other coronation song submitted. 😂

8. This did appear to be a flagrant case of sabotage. There was practically no chance she was going to break up the all David finale; as I mentioned the producers probably didn't want to chance it. :haha: Again, pretty much in agreement regarding the thoughts about this performance.

7. I can definitely see how this performance can come off as shouty. I did say in the write-up I would rank it in the bottom half if it wasn't such a guilty pleasure. 😂 Random thought, but now I'm imagining Brooke doing something similar to what Carrie did on this song instead of her acoustic version. 🤣

6. Once again, pretty much in agreement when it comes to the thoughts about this performance.

58 minutes ago, Bk1234 said:

There’s a clear winner to me. :yes: 

I wonder what it could be... 🤔 :haha:

• Haha 1

Might as well finish this ranking off now. Let's see how the final five rank.

5. Elliott Yamin - Open Arms

Elliott is one of my all-time favorite Idol contestants, and he is often considered to be one of the best male vocalists Idol’s ever had. In some cases, he is considered to be the best. He had a great underdog run as he made it all the way to third place. After a strong Top 4 showing in which he was considered to be the most vulnerable to elimination, he unfortunately didn’t have a great night during Top 3 though he wasn’t all that bad. It started with his first performance of the night with Open Arms. I was upset with Clive for giving Elliott this song to sing, as it’s not a song that suited him well (I later wanted to reach through my screen and strangle Clive for the song he gave Katharine, and I’m a nonviolent person for the most part :haha:). Elliott did as much as he could with it, but it was obvious he didn’t have the voice to sing it like Steve Perry; then again Steve Perry can’t sing like Steve Perry anymore either. :haha: In addition, he looked tentative on stage, which was disappointing considering how confident he looked the week before. With this said, while it was one of his weakest showings of the season, it’s one of the better performances submitted in this ranking and thus, it ranks high here.

4. Kelly Clarkson - I Surrender

At #4 is the second of Kelly’s Top 4 performances as well as the second submission for this ranking. Needless to say, I Surrender is definitely the better of the two. Kelly held nothing back in this performance despite not being in the best of health. It was obvious her voice sounded really rough, yet she was still able to give a very strong performance. One can make an argument that this was the best performance of the night; I for one wouldn’t question it. What makes this performance even more impressive is that not only is it a difficult song to sing on its own, it came right after another performance of a difficult song in It’s Raining Men. It was easy to tell during the post-performance interview that her voice was really hoarse. With all of this said, I can only imagine how well she would’ve sung this song had she been healthy. It really says a lot about Kelly if this is considered to be one of her weakest performances. When I looked at the submissions, there was no doubt in my mind this was going to be a Top 5 performance in this ranking, and lo and behold here we are!

3. Pia Toscano - Where Do Broken Hearts Go

Now to break a certain poster's heart. :giggle:These last three, heck four, performances were difficult to rank because they are all strong in their own right. However, something has to be ranked first, and Pia’s Top 12 performance Where Do Broken Hearts Go was the one that drew the short straw. It’s difficult to pick a bad Pia performance because she never really had one during her time on Idol. With that said, this would probably be my second least favorite of hers ahead of Don’t Let The Sun Go Down On Me. That doesn’t mean these two performances were bad, however. As for WDBHG go, she was vocally on point as she normally was. One thing I liked was that despite it being a ballad, she went with a more up-tempo arrangement which gave it new life. If there was a negative I had about the performance, it’s that because of the up-tempo arrangement, I would’ve liked to see Pia match the energy of the track more. She didn’t have to dance or anything like that; it’s just that she could’ve been more rhythmic. She did say she was overcoming tremendous stage fright, which may explain the lack of stage presence people were talking about regarding her. Regardless, it’s still one of the best performances in this ranking, and I have no regrets ranking it this high.

2. Elise Testone - Let's Stay Together

Elise was my S11 favorite and one of my favorite Idol contestants in general. With that said, she was someone who could have a strong performance one week and a not so strong one the next. Her Top 11 performance of Let’s Stay Together was one of her stronger ones. This was especially critical since she was the lowest female vote getter the previous week and was saved by the judges after a critically panned performance of I’m Your Baby Tonight. I liked how it just started with her singing with the piano before the rest of the band came in. To be honest, I would’ve liked it if it were just her and the piano for the whole thing, but it was a great performance nonetheless. The main thing I liked about the performance was it looked like she was enjoying herself. It was certainly a different vibe from the week before. Despite this, she still landed in the B3 the following night, which I was disappointed to see, especially considering some of the other performances that week. Regardless, this is one of Elise’s best performances, and I felt she had much worse than this. Overall, this is my second favorite rendition of Let’s Stay Together on Idol and the second favorite of this ranking.

1. Candice Glover - Ordinary People

Candice to me is one of the greatest singers Idol has ever had. She could handle pretty much anything, and she had one of the best Idol runs of any winner. A majority of her performances were great, and one of her strongest performances was her Top 10 Girls showing of Ordinary People. To be honest, I was kind of surprised to see this one submitted; for this ranking, I probably would’ve submitted One or Chasing Pavements, but we all have our opinions. On to the performance, I have to say I loved the jazzy arrangement she had for this performance. While I said Candice could sing just about anything, I feel she’s at her best when she’s singing jazz-like types of songs. In addition, some of the things she did with her voice were absolutely amazing. This is definitely a textbook case of someone making a song his/her own, and it’s one of the rare times in which I like an Idol performance more than the original. This alone would’ve been the best performance for many contestants; however, as we all know, Candice had better performances than this one, which speaks volumes of her talent. While I said the last three or four performances were difficult to rank, I felt this one should take the top spot of this ranking, though it should be disqualified due to how good it is. 😉

05. Elliott Yamin - Open Arms

04. Kelly Clarkson - I Surrender

03. Pia Toscano - Where Do Broken Hearts Go

02. Elise Testone - Let's Stay Together

01. Candice Glover - Ordinary People

A recap of the ranking:

29. Madison VanDenburg - Breakaway

28. Julia Gargano - Beauty and the Beast

27. Blake Lewis - This Is My Now

26. Dalton Rapattoni - Radioactive

25. Siobhan Magnus - Through The Fire

24. Kris Allen - No Boundaries

23. Chris Daughtry - What If

22. David Cook - Innocent

21. MacKenzie Bourg - Wild World

20. Clay Aiken - Grease

19. Adam Lambert - (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction

18. Jessica Meuse - White Flag

17. Emily Piriz - Let's Get Loud

16. Jessica Sanchez - I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing

15. David Archuleta - We Can Work It Out

14. Kris Allen - What's Going On

13. Hollie Cavanagh - Flashdance...What A Feeling

12. Ashley Hess - Sir Duke

11. Lauren Alaina - (You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman

10. Allison Iraheta - I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing

09. Maddie Poppe - Going Going Gone

08. Syesha Mercado - Hit Me Up

07. Carrie Underwood - Love Is A Battlefield

06. Kelly Clarkson - It's Raining Men

05. Elliott Yamin - Open Arms

04. Kelly Clarkson - I Surrender

03. Pia Toscano - Where Do Broken Hearts Go

02. Elise Testone - Let's Stay Together

01. Candice Glover - Ordinary People

As promised, I will list my least favorite performances of my ten favorite Idol contestants. Feel free to discuss or rank them:

Quentin Alexander - Rolling In The Deep

Kimberley Locke - Heatwave

Elise Testone - I Want To Know What Love Is

Crystal Bowersox - Come To My Window

David Cook - Innocent

LaToya London - Love You Inside Out

Tamyra Gray - New Attitude

Kelly Clarkson - It's Raining Men

Katharine McPhee - Against All Odds

That should do it for this ranking. Thanks to everyone who submitted performances for this ranking. I'm not sure when I'll start the next one or what it will be.

• Like 1

5. Elliott Yamin- Open Arms Ugh, Clive Davis... 🤢 Elliott has such a smooth voice, and he showed that in some parts of the song, but at times it started to get a little scratchy. The belting parts weren’t always pleasing to the ear too. 😕 This was definitely one of the best of the submitted songs though, so I have no issues with the placement. 

4. Kelly Clarkson- I Surrender - The fact that Kelly was able to sing this monster of a song while SICK, just goes to show how strong of a vocalist she is. 😱 I also preferred this to It’s Raining Men. While her voice was a little hoarse, Kelly still powered through, and she definitely deserves this #4 placement. 

3. Pia Toscano- Where Do Broken Hearts Go I don’t know, where does my broken heart after this one? Pia always seems to just miss the #1 spot in these rankings. :no: Anyway, I had such a hard time picking a “bad” performance from Pia because she simply DOES NOT have one! 😅 I just chose this one because I felt Pia could have incorporated the higher tempo into her movements on the stage (I really don’t even care about this, but I had to come up with a reason. 🙃

2. Elise Testone- Let’s Stay Together I’m honestly confused to see this one here, as I preferred it to Whole Lotta Love:stealth: Her voice sounded beautiful on the runs and this performance is honestly giving Pia’s Where Do Broken Hearts Go a run for its money! 😬 I would have preferred for it to just be her and the piano for the whole performance too. 

1. Candice Glover- Ordinary People I swear, the user who submitted this submitted it by accident! :haha: I would have also submitted Chasing Pavements. This performance was really good. Candice’s runs were flawless and leave me confused as to why this is even here. While I don’t think this was better than Pia’s submission, it would definitely be my #2, based off these submissions. 😊

39 minutes ago, Bk1234 said:

5. Elliott Yamin- Open Arms Ugh, Clive Davis... 🤢 Elliott has such a smooth voice, and he showed that in some parts of the song, but at times it started to get a little scratchy. The belting parts weren’t always pleasing to the ear too. 😕 This was definitely one of the best of the submitted songs though, so I have no issues with the placement. 

4. Kelly Clarkson- I Surrender - The fact that Kelly was able to sing this monster of a song while SICK, just goes to show how strong of a vocalist she is. 😱 I also preferred this to It’s Raining Men. While her voice was a little hoarse, Kelly still powered through, and she definitely deserves this #4 placement. 

3. Pia Toscano- Where Do Broken Hearts Go I don’t know, where does my broken heart after this one? Pia always seems to just miss the #1 spot in these rankings. :no: Anyway, I had such a hard time picking a “bad” performance from Pia because she simply DOES NOT have one! 😅 I just chose this one because I felt Pia could have incorporated the higher tempo into her movements on the stage (I really don’t even care about this, but I had to come up with a reason. 🙃

2. Elise Testone- Let’s Stay Together I’m honestly confused to see this one here, as I preferred it to Whole Lotta Love:stealth: Her voice sounded beautiful on the runs and this performance is honestly giving Pia’s Where Do Broken Hearts Go a run for its money! 😬 I would have preferred for it to just be her and the piano for the whole performance too. 

1. Candice Glover- Ordinary People I swear, the user who submitted this submitted it by accident! :haha: I would have also submitted Chasing Pavements. This performance was really good. Candice’s runs were flawless and leave me confused as to why this is even here. While I don’t think this was better than Pia’s submission, it would definitely be my #2, based off these submissions. 😊

5. Ugh, tell me about it. :/ Fair enough about the performance. I could hear some of the scratchiness in the performance. The belting was the worst parts of the performance, so no disagreements there.

4. I don't have much to say here but agree with just about everything written.

3. 💔. Maybe one of these days she will get the #1 spot, and if she does it will be well-earned. :yes: Agree with her not having a bad performance during her time on Idol and incorporating more higher tempo movements on stage.

2. I'll just go ahead and ignore the first sentence. 😅 Outside of that, I don't really have any disagreements regarding the comments here.

1. Once again, I don't have many disagreements with what was said here.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Crisis said:

- She didn't look too impressed with Haley when she was a mentor during S6. :/ Considering she had a theme named after her, she could've been more gracious. :/ :haha:

It is the most difficult thing about owning a pet. :( Still I think the positives outweigh the negatives. I completely agree about being there for them no matter the circumstances. Completely understandable about wanting to have an animal but not being realistic to do so at this time. I'm sure the time will come when you'll be able to have one. :yes: I do have a lot to keep me busy. I'll definitely try to get to the routines this upcoming weekend. :haha:

I'll just get rid of the spoiler tags now. It does feel that way. I've had that happen to me a couple of times, with the main one being Baby Alien (then again I don't think many got that one correct). :haha: I was just better off saying the word since it was so easy to decipher; I guess I was trying to be polite. :haha: It's too bad I don't like the song more than I do. Based on my Internet search, she apparently won S12 and became the second female coach to win on the show. What can I say, game recognizes game or in this case, taste recognize taste. 😉 :haha:

09. Fair enough about the initial thoughts on the song and Maddie. I think I explained why I wasn't a fan of Gabby's, but in case I didn't, it's because it sounded as if it were all over the place genre-wise. One minute it's gospel, the next it's R&B, after that it's country. I was like what does the song want to be. :haha:

07. What can I say, I'm easy. :haha: Even taking away the guilty pleasure component, while it was certainly one of her weakest performances, I felt she had a few that were worse (the main two being MacArthur Park and If You Don't Know Me By Now). I think she would be a lot better on this song if she were to sing it now.

I don't remember, but aww. :( lol they should have called it the "All Hail Gwen Stefani" theme. :lmao: :giggle: 

It is, but definitely about the positives. ❤️ Thanks for your optimism. :hug:Oh yay, let me know if you do! 😄 

Fine with me! Haha Baby Alien. :giggle: I do think that one was a surprise for most people. Aww, either way is fine. :haha: Oh, that's exciting! I'm surprised you didn't watch just to see her. 😮  Haha yay us! ❤️ 

- Oh, I didn't remember this, but I see. I didn't have that issue, but interesting to think about. :haha: 

- :lmao: Oh, that's fair. I did consider those as well when deciding which Carrie performance to submit. I'm sure of it, which is why I want to see it. :haha: 

I think I know which crush I want to post next, so I'll share my first clue. :blushingwave: He is an actor who is also a colored dart. :shiftywave:  You can ponder this while I look over your latest set. :giggle: 

05. Elliott Yamin - Open Arms: This was a disappointing night from Elliott, although I blame the song choices. :(  This is another overdone song that I love. He sang it well, but I guess it felt underwhelming. OMG your Clive Davis comment. :dead: And the Steve Perry one. :lmao:  Anyway, I agree with your thoughts.

04. Kelly Clarkson - I Surrender: I was between the two Top 4 performances for which to submit, but went with this due to the hoarseness of her voice. It was more evident to me that she was sick in this one, and that was really all I could go on, I guess, since I thought both performances were still good. :haha:  Again, I would love to hear her sing this again, especially now. :omg: 

03. Pia Toscano - Where Do Broken Hearts Go: I think this is also my least favorite from Pia, although she always sounded good. This song in general is not one I really enjoy being performed and the tempo of it didn't really work for me (or one of her big notes near the end). Still a solid vocal and I have memories of "singing" this song on the American Idol video game back in the day. :dead: 

02. Elise Testone - Let's Stay Together: I can't think off the top of my head, but I think this was one of Elise's stronger performances for me. I can actually think of the one I'd say was her weakest, so it's interesting to see this here. And yeah, I see you mentioned this being one of her best performances. :haha: I also like the piano opening, but enjoyed the rest of it as well. She did seem comfortable and confident, which was nice to see.

01. Candice Glover - Ordinary People: Another one you consider one of the contestant's best performances. :giggle:  This is the one I thought of ranking on top when I saw the list of what was left. I don't even know what I'd think of for her worst performance, but this one was really great. I enjoyed the jazzy arrangement too and her vocal was world class. LOL at the disqualification comment. :haha: 

• Like 1

Unfortunately, I'm kind of down at the moment because my team just lost a tough hard fought game. However, I'll reply to the new posts.

I don't remember, but aww. :( lol they should have called it the "All Hail Gwen Stefani" theme. :lmao: :giggle: 

It is, but definitely about the positives. ❤️ Thanks for your optimism. :hug:Oh yay, let me know if you do! 😄 

Fine with me! Haha Baby Alien. :giggle: I do think that one was a surprise for most people. Aww, either way is fine. :haha: Oh, that's exciting! I'm surprised you didn't watch just to see her. 😮  Haha yay us! ❤️ 

- Oh, I didn't remember this, but I see. I didn't have that issue, but interesting to think about. :haha: 

- :lmao: Oh, that's fair. I did consider those as well when deciding which Carrie performance to submit. I'm sure of it, which is why I want to see it. :haha: 

I think I know which crush I want to post next, so I'll share my first clue. :blushingwave: He is an actor who is also a colored dart. :shiftywave:  You can ponder this while I look over your latest set. :giggle: 

Yeah, but then again considering who we're talking about, maybe I'm just being dramatic. :haha: Why not; it can't be any worse than the actual name of the theme. :lmao:

Yeah, definitely. You're welcome. 🤗 Will definitely do. 😁

That was certainly a surprise. From what I've seen, many people were shocked at that unmasking. OK, I'll keep that in mind. I heard about her being a coach on the show and would've watched just for her, but unfortunately I was too busy to watch any episodes. :( We definitely got it good! :haha:

- Fair enough about the song.

- Oh, I see about the Carrie performances. Now that I think of it, I want to see it as well. :haha:

Ooh, a clue for the next crush. I have no idea what to think of this one. I'm probably way off with this guess, but here's my first attempt:

Shad Moss, AKA Bow Wow (though he's more known for his rapping than acting) :haha:

05. Elliott Yamin - Open Arms: This was a disappointing night from Elliott, although I blame the song choices. :(  This is another overdone song that I love. He sang it well, but I guess it felt underwhelming. OMG your Clive Davis comment. :dead: And the Steve Perry one. :lmao:  Anyway, I agree with your thoughts.

04. Kelly Clarkson - I Surrender: I was between the two Top 4 performances for which to submit, but went with this due to the hoarseness of her voice. It was more evident to me that she was sick in this one, and that was really all I could go on, I guess, since I thought both performances were still good. :haha:  Again, I would love to hear her sing this again, especially now. :omg: 

03. Pia Toscano - Where Do Broken Hearts Go: I think this is also my least favorite from Pia, although she always sounded good. This song in general is not one I really enjoy being performed and the tempo of it didn't really work for me (or one of her big notes near the end). Still a solid vocal and I have memories of "singing" this song on the American Idol video game back in the day. :dead: 

02. Elise Testone - Let's Stay Together: I can't think off the top of my head, but I think this was one of Elise's stronger performances for me. I can actually think of the one I'd say was her weakest, so it's interesting to see this here. And yeah, I see you mentioned this being one of her best performances. :haha: I also like the piano opening, but enjoyed the rest of it as well. She did seem comfortable and confident, which was nice to see.

01. Candice Glover - Ordinary People: Another one you consider one of the contestant's best performances. :giggle:  This is the one I thought of ranking on top when I saw the list of what was left. I don't even know what I'd think of for her worst performance, but this one was really great. I enjoyed the jazzy arrangement too and her vocal was world class. LOL at the disqualification comment. :haha: 

05. Yeah, I'm pretty much in the same boat regarding him and that night. I see about this being another overdone song you love. Agree about him singing it well but feeling underwhelmed. Happy to see you enjoy my Clive Davis and Steve Perry comments! 😁

04. Understandable about the two performances of hers that were under consideration for submission. Outside of this, I pretty much agree with the thoughts regarding this performance.

03. Fair enough about the thoughts on this performance. OMG, I remember the American Idol video game. I never played it, but I'm sure it was fun. :lmao:

02. I'm now curious to see which performance you thought was her weakest. Other than that, I agree with the thoughts on this performance.

01. I don't have much to say here, but I pretty much agree with everything written here.

Since we're getting close to the next page, I would like to ask no one take the top post because I want to reserve it as another post to link more rankings. It looks like the first one is getting pretty long, and I mistakenly didn't reserve at least another post for the links after it. :haha:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Crisis said:

Unfortunately, I'm kind of down at the moment because my team just lost a tough hard fought game. However, I'll reply to the new posts.

Yeah, but then again considering who we're talking about, maybe I'm just being dramatic. :haha: Why not; it can't be any worse than the actual name of the theme. :lmao:

That was certainly a surprise. From what I've seen, many people were shocked at that unmasking. OK, I'll keep that in mind. I heard about her being a coach on the show and would've watched just for her, but unfortunately I was too busy to watch any episodes. :( We definitely got it good! :haha:

Ooh, a clue for the next crush. I have no idea what to think of this one. I'm probably way off with this guess, but here's my first attempt:

Reveal hidden contents

Shad Moss, AKA Bow Wow (though he's more known for his rapping than acting) :haha:

03. Fair enough about the thoughts on this performance. OMG, I remember the American Idol video game. I never played it, but I'm sure it was fun. :lmao:

02. I'm now curious to see which performance you thought was her weakest. Other than that, I agree with the thoughts on this performance.

Since we're getting close to the next page, I would like to ask no one take the top post because I want to reserve it as another post to link more rankings. It looks like the first one is getting pretty long, and I mistakenly didn't reserve at least another post for the links after it. :haha:

Aww, I'm so sorry. :(  I know it sucks, but I like to think of each game as a clean slate and an opportunity for them to improve and come out on top! Best of luck to them. :hug: 

:haha: 

I think so too. It's always fun to have a completely unexpected reveal. :haha:  Aw, that's too bad. :(  Maybe you can add it to your list of things to keep you busy. :giggle: 

Indeed. :shiftywave: 

Did you just predict the Frog?

:shock: :dead:  Very curious what led you in this direction. :giggle:  Let me think of another clue now.... This actor is also known as a John Legend song from the mid-2000s. 

- lol I loved that game! I can't remember all the songs on it, but sometimes when I hear one it comes back to me from my "amazing" performances of it. :dead: 

- I would say I'm Your Baby Tonight stands out for me as Elise's weakest performance. 

Sounds good! Perfect opportunity to include another Gwen picture as well. :giggle: 

Aww, I'm so sorry. :(  I know it sucks, but I like to think of each game as a clean slate and an opportunity for them to improve and come out on top! Best of luck to them. :hug: 

I think so too. It's always fun to have a completely unexpected reveal. :haha:  Aw, that's too bad. :(  Maybe you can add it to your list of things to keep you busy. :giggle:  

Reveal hidden contents

Did you just predict the Frog?

:shock: :dead:  Very curious what led you in this direction. :giggle:  Let me think of another clue now.... This actor is also known as a John Legend song from the mid-2000s. 

- lol I loved that game! I can't remember all the songs on it, but sometimes when I hear one it comes back to me from my "amazing" performances of it. :dead: 

- I would say I'm Your Baby Tonight stands out for me as Elise's weakest performance. 

Sounds good! Perfect opportunity to include another Gwen picture as well. :giggle: 

The toughest part was they were ahead in the final two minutes only to have the other team come back and win in the final seconds. Despite the loss, they're still in playoff contention, so things aren't too bad. That's a nice way to think about the games. Thank you. 🤗

It is fun to have an unexpected reveal every now and then. Maybe I will add it to the list. I'm not sure when/if I'll be able to get to it, however. :haha:

source.gif

:giggle:

As for what led me to the guess, I couldn't think of someone who had the same name as a colored dart, so I looked it up. I came across some Shad fishing darts and remembered Bow Wow's real name is Shad Moss; hence, I guessed him.

An actor known as a John Legend song from the mid 2000s? The only two songs that come to mind are Maxine and P.D.A. (We Just Don't Care). I don't know any guys named Maxine, so I'll assume it's P.D.A. Now I just have to think of someone who may have those initials if I'm on the right track...

- I'm sure those are very fond memories. It sounds like I missed out on something good. :giggle:

- That's a good choice for her weakest performance. She didn't look comfortable during it. I mentioned mine up-thread.

Edited by Crisis

5 hours ago, Crisis said:

The toughest part was they were ahead in the final two minutes only to have the other team come back and win in the final seconds. Despite the loss, they're still in playoff contention, so things aren't too bad. That's a nice way to think about the games. Thank you. 🤗

It is fun to have an unexpected reveal every now and then. Maybe I will add it to the list. I'm not sure when/if I'll be able to get to it, however. :haha:

Reveal hidden contents

source.gif

:giggle:

As for what led me to the guess, I couldn't think of someone who had the same name as a colored dart, so I looked it up. I came across some Shad fishing darts and remembered Bow Wow's real name is Shad Moss; hence, I guessed him.

An actor known as a John Legend song from the mid 2000s? The only two songs that come to mind are Maxine and P.D.A. (We Just Don't Care). I don't know any guys named Maxine, so I'll assume it's P.D.A. Now I just have to think of someone who may have those initials if I'm on the right track...

- I'm sure those are very fond memories. It sounds like I missed out on something good. :giggle:

- That's a good choice for her weakest performance. She didn't look comfortable during it. I mentioned mine up-thread.

Oh ugh, that is so sad. :(  Of course it's great when it's the other way around, but not when it's your team that suffers. :broken: So sorry, but good news about the playoffs!  You're welcome. :hug: 

I agree! Well, at least you should never be bored. :haha: 

:lmao:  That would sure be a blindside after all my fangirling over Turtle and Astronaut. Oh interesting how you put that together! I am thinking maybe my clues are too obscure. :dead:  I had trouble coming up with them and didn't want to be boring and basic. I can say that neither of them have to do with his actual name.

- They are. :lmao: 

- Thanks and oh yes, I saw yours. I would probably have that one up there as well.

One of mine, shows up, in this list

10. Allison Iraheta - I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing - Allison, was my 2nd fav on S8. With that said ... yeah, I think this was her worst performance, mainly due to pitchiness

I didn't remember her going out of tune, as much as she did, on this

09. Maddie Poppe - Going Going Gone - Yeah ...  Twas I, who submitted this. I had the darndest time, trying to find a weak performance by Maddie, because .... there really isn't one. She really did have a flawless run. So .... I had to pick one, right? What finally made me pick this one, was because she herself, had said that this song, performed in this arrangement, was too pop for her. But,  Bottom line:  She had no weak performances

08. Syesha Mercado - Hit Me Up - My criticism of this, centers around song choice. Other than that .... I enjoyed her performance. I really like her presence

07. Carrie Underwood - Love Is A Battlefield - Since I didn't watch this season, I had no idea, that Carrie did this song. Taking on Pat Benatar ... brave thing to do. 

I really like the edge in her voice, a lot, but the pitchiness? No. Also, her movements, didn't align with the edginess in her vocals

06. Kelly Clarkson - It's Raining Men - I didn't watch the 1st season, and I had no idea, that Kelly did "It's Raining Men"  It was just an ok performance, and I saw, in Crisis write up, where she was sick. So .... yeah, that would explain the low energy level

Looks like I submitted the bottom 2 and the top 2  :mrgreen:

05. Elliott Yamin - Open Arms  - I didn't watch this season, and all I have to say is .... if this was his worst performance, he must have had some phenomenal performances. 

I do see what the judges said, about loosening up, but his vocals, were really great

04. Kelly Clarkson - I Surrender - I realize, that I am going to get slammed for this, but .... Madison Vandenberg, did this better than Kelly Clarkson. :stealth: Kelly struggled to hit some of those high notes, so yeah ...  it's a weak performance.     Madison Vanderburg: NAILS a Celine Dion Showstopper! | American Idol 2019 - YouTube 

03. Pia Toscano - Where Do Broken Hearts Go - Vocally, Pia did great on all of her songs. Her vocals slayed.  I know, that one had to be picked, so  .... 

02. Elise Testone - Let's Stay Together - Elise, was by far, my fav finalist on S11. AGAIN .... I had such a hard time coming up with a weak performance. But ... I had to pick one, not that I actually consider this a weak performance

01. Candice Glover - Ordinary People - Guilty as charged. Again, Candice HAD NO WEAK PERFORMANCES. But, I had to pick one, right?  To me .... she had a flawless run. I can't help it, if my faves are great!! They just are  :))

2 hours ago, miss denise said:

Oh ugh, that is so sad. :(  Of course it's great when it's the other way around, but not when it's your team that suffers. :broken: So sorry, but good news about the playoffs!  You're welcome. :hug: 

I agree! Well, at least you should never be bored. :haha: 

Reveal hidden contents

:lmao:  That would sure be a blindside after all my fangirling over Turtle and Astronaut. Oh interesting how you put that together! I am thinking maybe my clues are too obscure. :dead:  I had trouble coming up with them and didn't want to be boring and basic. I can say that neither of them have to do with his actual name.

- They are. :lmao: 

- Thanks and oh yes, I saw yours. I would probably have that one up there as well.

Yeah, it was hard, but it's OK now. They beat them earlier in the season, and nearly beat them again last night. They played toe-to-toe against the reigning Super Bowl champions, and that's pretty much what one can ask for. :yes:

👍. Unfortunately, due to school and work, I really don't have any free time to enjoy them. :haha: At least I should have some of that with Thanksgiving coming up.

That would certainly be a blindside though there could be room for three. 😉 :haha: These clues are tough. Even with the clarification of them not having to do with the name of the actor, I'm still coming up blank. I may throw the towel in on this one.

- Good to see!

- I would say those were her two weakest performances of the season. :yes:

Edited by Crisis