Rank the country guys in the finale

Gustavo527

I have been following this forum for some time and I notice that there is a lot of controversy about country singers making it to the finale/winning, especially male country singers. So i think it would be interesting to see how the members of Idolforums would rank the ones that ("deservedly" or "undeservedly") made it to the finale.

The options are:

- The Swon Brothers (S4)

- Jake Worthington (S6)

- Craig Wayne Boyd (S7)

- Barret Baber (S9)

- Adam Wakefield (S10)

- Josh Gallagher (S11)

- Sundance Head (S11)

- Red Marlow (S13)

- Kirk Jay (S15)

- Chris Kroeze (S15)

- Andrew Sevener (S16)

- Dexter Roberts (S16)

- Gyth Rigdon (S16)

- Jake Hoot (S17)

- Todd Tilghman (S18)

And yeah, i know some of them are not exactly country (at least, not pure country) but i put the ones that, in my consideration, can be classified at some extent, as country singers, basing on the songs they sang on the show.

Let's go!

Edited by Gustavo527

Todd is southern rock + CCM, Chris is also southern rock.

You also forgot Josh Gallagher, S11 fourth placer, who is decidedly more country than the previous 2.

My top 3 would be:

3. Jake Hoot

2. Sundance Head

1. Barrett Baber

Sundance and Barrett both brand themselves as country soul artists, which to me is the most palatable form of country music. Anything else is a hard sell.

Edited by mjdolorico

2 minutes ago, mjdolorico said:

You also forgot Josh Gallagher, S11 fourth placer, who is decidedly more country than the previous 2.

My top 3 would be:

3. Jake Hoot

2. Sundance Head

1. Barrett Baber

C’mon, that’s a cop out! You can’t have Sundance on there, but not Todd! They both sang country on the show. You just don’t want to choose between snowflakes. 

Edited by TeamAudra
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TeamAudra said:

C’mon, that’s a cop out! You can’t have Sundance on there, but not Todd! They both sang country on the show. You just don’t want to choose between snowflakes. 

LOL, I am looking at his song list and Sundance pretty much still strike me as country through and through.

But if I have to rank the list as is, Barrett still comes out on top. The voting/fanboying experience that season was just so memorable and not likely to be replicated anytime soon.

10 minutes ago, mjdolorico said:

My top 3 would be:

3. Jake Hoot

2. Sundance Head

1. Barrett Baber

Sundance and Barrett both brand themselves as country soul artists, which to me is the most palatable form of country music. Anything else is a hard sell.

Josh Gallagher, yeah, let me add him.

Yeah, i doubted about putting Todd in the rank, but out of the seven songs he sang in the competition, three were country, so i admit that was kinda enough for me to add him in the list

Just now, mjdolorico said:

LOL, I am looking at his song list and Sundance pretty much still strike me as country through and through.

But if I have to rank the list as is, Barrett still comes out on top. The voting/fanboying experience that season was just so memorable and not likely to be replicated anytime soon.

Sundance wasn’t really country until he was on the show. Blake turned him in to that, just like he did with Todd and Adam W. 

Chris Kroeze is flat out not a country singer. Take away the coach duet, and Burning House is the only country song he sang on the show. 

29 minutes ago, Gustavo527 said:

Josh Gallagher, yeah, let me add him.

Yeah, i doubted about putting Todd in the rank, but out of the seven songs he sang in the competition, three were country, so i admit that was kinda enough for me to add him in the list

Yeah, that's fair. But I would also argue that Todd's three "country" performances aren't really country stylistically. There's no twang, and no obvious southern accents coming through.

And post-show, Todd has said he "never wanted to be known for just one thing". He has been actively trying to distance himself from being just a country singer.

50 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

Sundance wasn’t really country until he was on the show. Blake turned him in to that, just like he did with Todd and Adam W. 

Chris Kroeze is flat out not a country singer. Take away the coach duet, and Burning House is the only country song he sang on the show. 

Didn't you say one time that Todd took out the country out of a song?

Here it is:

On 4/7/2020 at 8:50 AM, TeamAudra said:

They’re doing well, but they took all of the country out of it. 

FTR, I agree with you in this, Todd never sounded country to me throughout his run.

4 minutes ago, mjdolorico said:

Didn't you say one time that Todd took out the country out of a song?

Here it is:

FTR, I agree with you in this, Todd never sounded country to me throughout his run.

Man, you have a good memory. I didn’t  even remember saying that until now. That was in response to “Ghost In This House”. All I had to compare it to was Lauren’s version, which is undeniably country. But, I thought he actually sounded country on other occasions. 

Edited by TeamAudra

1 hour ago, Gustavo527 said:

- The Swon Brothers (S4)

- Jake Worthington (S6)

- Craig Wayne Boyd (S7)

- Barret Baber (S9)

- Adam Wakefield (S10)

- Josh Gallagher (S11)

- Sundance Head (S11)

- Red Marlow (S13)

- Kirk Jay (S15)

- Chris Kroeze (S15)

- Andrew Sevener (S16)

- Dexter Roberts (S16)

- Gyth Rigdon (S16)

- Jake Hoot (S17)

- Todd Tilghman (S18)

Bolded are the ones that I supported throughout their seasons and really enjoyed as a whole.

Cursive are the ones that I liked to an extent.

Highlighted are the ones I disliked.

Edited by Misirlou

1. The Swon Brothers (S4)
  2. Jake Worthington (S6)
  3. Craig Wayne Boyd (S7)
  4. Jake Hoot (S17)
  5. Sundance Head (S11)
  6. Adam Wakefield (S10)
  7. Barret Baber (S9)
  8. Kirk Jay (S15)
  9. Chris Kroeze (S15)
  10. Gyth Rigdon (S16)
  11. Andrew Sevener (S16)
  12. Todd Tilghman (S18)
  13. Dexter Roberts (S16)
  14. Red Marlow (S13)
  15. Josh Gallagher (S11)

1 hour ago, Zainab Tufail said:

1- Todd Tilgman ( I don't really consider him as a country singer but since he is put in this thread  so I had to rank him as well )

2- Craig Wayne Boyd ( I don't know why he is hated that much but according to me he really deserved the win and after The Old Rugged Cross it was game over for the other contestants )

3- Sundance Head ( Even though I also loved Billy but Sundance was really the best of that season )

4- Gyth Rigdon ( Even though his later performances God Bless The USA Once In A Blue Moon weren't as good as compared to his other spectacular performances like Drift Away , Drunk Me , I Wanna Be Loved Like That , but I still loved him )

5- Chris Kroeze (  He was my snowflake of that season and I am still surprised that he didn't win because in the FINALE his votes were multiplied by 10 .)

6- Dexter Roberts

7- Kirk Jay

8- Barret Baber

9- Jake Worthington 

10- Adam Wakefield

Couple things...

That’s not how it works. The multiplier isn’t applied to the total votes. Only the number of total Apple Music streams during the voting window were multiplied, and I believe it was a multiple of 5. It’s probably not a big number. 

Also...as usual, they didn’t announce who got the bonus in the finale. 

Edited by TeamAudra

12 hours ago, Gustavo527 said:

- The Swon Brothers (S4)

- Jake Worthington (S6)

- Craig Wayne Boyd (S7)

- Barret Baber (S9)

- Adam Wakefield (S10)

- Josh Gallagher (S11)

- Sundance Head (S11)

- Red Marlow (S13)

- Kirk Jay (S15)

- Chris Kroeze (S15)

- Andrew Sevener (S16)

- Dexter Roberts (S16)

- Gyth Rigdon (S16)

- Jake Hoot (S17)

- Todd Tilghman (S18)

This is based just on their runs on the show.

Bold = I liked them, even if they weren't my favorites of the season, and didn't mind that they were in the finale.

Italics = I tolerated them but didn't want them in the finale.

Underline = lol no thanks

Lol I rememeber when Gyth was the only country artist on S16 that IDF didn´t mind being in the finale at first, and then after the God Bless the USA fiasco, almost everybody on IDF disliked him and continue to do till this day.

Ironically, Dexter and Andrew were hated at first, especially Andrew, but later in their run , and  especially in the midst of the Gyth hate, IDF kinda warmed up to them. I enjoyed Dexter from the get go, and Andrew won me over with his Cross Battle. On the other hand, I loved Gyth´s audition and battle, but the minute he sang live he lost me.

On 8/15/2020 at 7:04 PM, TeamAudra said:

Couple things...

That’s not how it works. The multiplier isn’t applied to the total votes. Only the number of total Apple Music streams during the voting window were multiplied, and I believe it was a multiple of 5. It’s probably not a big number. 

Also...as usual, they didn’t announce who got the bonus in the finale. 

Thanks for the info I didn't know that , but I believe the multiplier was of 10 because Chris was most streamed artist twice so having the commutative effect he had the multiplier of 10 .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zainab Tufail said:

Thanks for the info I didn't know that , but I believe the multiplier was of 10 because Chris was most streamed artist twice so having the commutative effect he had the multiplier of 10 .

The multiplier was 5. I found a few sources, but I’ll just go with the one I believe to be the most reliable. 

https://www.mjsbigblog.com/the-voice-season-15-recap-final-4-performances-live-blog-and-videos.htm

NOTE: The online Vote Window closes at 7 am ET. ONLY Apple streams count as votes. 30 seconds streaming a song on iTunes counts as a FULL STREAM.  And instead of the Top 10 chart bonus, this season the MOST STREAMED ARTIST OF THE NIGHT will have their stream totals multiplied by 5.