Rest in Peace, Naya Rivera

Elliott

Most of us have talked about it in the television shows rankdown, but I felt like we should have a proper thread to mourn.

It's been confirmed by the police that Naya Rivera has passed away at the age of 33, leaving behind her son. :( Like many others, I've been a fan of hers since seeing her on Glee, and this is heartbreaking to hear. Thoughts to her family and friends. :broken:

• Sad 1

Heartbreaking. 💔

As I said in the TV Rankdown thread, I stuck with Glee even during the later seasons when there was a noticeable drop in quality and Santana was one of my favorites. Naya's portrayal of her was amazing.

My thoughts are with her family, friends and co-stars.

Absolutely devastating. Of course, Naya was so much more than Glee, but like many of us it’s where I learned of her and became a fan. She was exceptional on that show - not only such a talented actress, but an amazing singer. Many of my favourite moments and songs from the show were because of her.

While Glee definitely had its flaws, I always admired how they handled Santana’s storyline. Having a queer Afro-Latina character on one of the leading TV shows at its time was groundbreaking and it warms my heart to see how many people on social media are sharing their stories with how Naya’s portrayal was so important to them. And she was such an avid supporter of the LGBTQIA+ community and clearly so proud of the role she got to play.

On a final note.. I recently saw an old interview of hers where she noted how she almost quit acting and her mother convinced her to keep looking, which lead to Glee. I hope her loved ones can take some solace in knowing what a legacy she left behind, and that when her son grows up, he gets to hear all these amazing stories about his mother and how many people she touched. ❤️ 

• Like 2

Before joining Idolforums back in 2015, I was very active in Glee forums/websites/whatever. Everything Naya represented on Glee meant so much to me and this loss is heartbreaking, especially for poor Josey.

Rest in peace, Naya. I'm grateful that I was able to witness her sharing her talents for those 6 years.

RIP, Naya Marie Rivera. ❤️

Naya, you touched so many people during your time on Earth. You saved so many lives in the LGBTQIA+ community. You helped many people accept themselves. Many queer people saw themselves in you and you have them solace and comfort when they were trying to figure themselves out. I hope you know you did more for others than you could possibly know. I think she knew. :(

My heart goes out to her son, her family, her friends and every fan she touched with her many gifts. Naya, you died a hero. You last act on this Earth was saving your son. You said Josey was your biggest accomplishment. He will know your love and know that you have his life for his. I love you, Naya.

Fly with the angels now. 😢

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I have no words to describe how I am feeling; I am incredibly sadden & heartbroken over this entire situation. 😢💔 

Like many, I feel in love with Naya due to her appearance on Glee where her portrayal of Santana Lopez had a huge impact on my life. On top of that, she understand the meaning of her portrayal of Santana for so many individuals - she continually did work for the LGBTQIA+ community. 

Everytime I read tribute, I tear up as they all paint an amazing portrait of Naya - the perception that we all had of Naya was exactly who she was. I will try to post some of them over the next few days, as they're all so touching and meaningful. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

She seemed like a perfectly lovely person and I feel horrible for the son she leaves behind and the rest of her family. ❤️ 

I really feel for all of the Glee cast, but Heather's was always going to be especially hard to read considering their closeness. 💔 Such lovely photos of their kids, though. There is comfort in knowing all the support her son will receive, and all the amazing work which Naya did that he'll be able to look back on one day.

Edited by *Lily
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

I watched Dot's interview on The Talk and wow. It was just heartbreaking. Naya was just a special person and that comes across from everyone who speaks about her. She was the friend you wanted to have, the friend you can always count on, the friend who would tell you what you needed to hear and not what you wanted to hear. We all could use a friend like Naya.

The fact that Naya's last action on Earth was saving her son to get back on the boat is a true testament to the mother she was and all around amazing person she was. I hope Josey will find solace when he grows up that he knows his mom saved his life in her last moments. A MOTHERS LOVE.

I echo what Kevin said. Cory had a hand in bringing her home that day. It wasn't the outcome we wanted but he brought her home so her family, her friends and her fans could have closure. You can't tell me different. Naya being found on the anniversary of Cory's death. Symbolic in a way as those two had a strong bond as well.

I'll find the video of Dot speaking about Naya but like @*Chris I break every time some writes a tribute to Naya. Heather's was always going to hurt more than the others. Their bond was just unique.

I'm glad I can find solace and comfort with fellow Gleeks and fans of Naya like @*Chris (who I've been leaning on during this time), @*Lily, @*Amanda, @*Wallace, @miss denise and even though they had a love/hate relationship with the show, @Elliott and @totes4totes.

Say what you want about the show but I think we all loved Naya and the character she portrayed. Whether you were drawn to her spunk, her voice, her boldness, her representation for the minority (queer, latin, black), her strength, we were all fans of her. She represented for us the LGBTQIA+ community, the African-american community, the latin community and what it meant to just be an unapologetic woman who owned it. She touched people with just being herself and the representation she stood for probably the most important on the show.

I only wish @*Diana was still here so we could comfort her as well as I know she is hurting as well. She was probably the biggest Gleek here alongside Chris and myself. The Unholy Trinity lost one of their own but gained a Holy Angel. 😢 I know Naya is looking down on the outpouring of love as I don't think she knew how much she was loved by the fandom or at least of this magnitude. She left a whole as big as Cory did.

RIP Sassy Angel as her family referred to her as. ❤️

85d27c216f2077c6b1507bb2a512d0c8.gif

Edited by 1234567890
  • Like 2
  • Sad 3

Just saw that this thread was created (through a tagging). I'm glad we have a thread to honor Naya. 

Lie everyone else,  I have been so sad and devastated since the news of Naya's missing since last week. But have only gotten sadder since her death was confirmed on Monday. 😢 I have loved Naya since her time on Glee and loved her portrayal of Santana Lopez. She was one of my favorite actresses/characters/singers/performers on the show so this has hit me really hard. I even watched Naya on various other shows where she guest starred on (Family Matters & Smart Guy), despite not knowing her back then. But i remember watching a few of these once finding them out. She is so immensely talented and will be missed. My heart and thoughts goes out to her son, parents, family and her fellow Glee cast mates going through this very difficult time right now.

I have seen lots of cast members tributes, which I hope I can post sometime later on.

Just now, *Wallace said:

Just saw that this thread was created (through a tagging). I'm glad we have a thread to honor Naya.

boo ya santana lopez GIF

Tagging is the greatest invention on IDF. Ugh, Naya. :( She is so gifable too. It hurts right now but I now a time will come when I will see pictures, videos or gifs of her and smile instead of hurting. :broken:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 1234567890 said:

Here is the video of Dot-Marie Jones. :( Be forewarned. 😢

Aww just watched this. This was so heartbreaking. :broken: 

7 hours ago, 1234567890 said:

boo ya santana lopez GIF

Tagging is the greatest invention on IDF. Ugh, Naya. :( She is so gifable too. It hurts right now but I now a time will come when I will see pictures, videos or gifs of her and smile instead of hurting. :broken:

Aww yess it is. ❤️

Ooh ahh gah yeah i know. She was so gifable. I go through moments of remembering the hilarity she brought in the gifs and it still making me laugh but then moments of saddness and hurt seeing them comes too. :( 

• 2 weeks later...

I know I'm pretty late, but I am still in disbelief over loss of Naya. :broken: Ever since I found out that she's been missing, I've been praying that somehow she could survive it, but I was also expecting the worst, which unfotunately turned out to be true :( Her death really hit me hard as her potrayal of Santana on Glee has had a lot of impact on myself and the whole show as well as on the LBTQ community. She's been an amazing actress, singer, artist and most importantly, a mother who sacrificed her life to her son. 😭 This still makes me teary-eyed and I have been thinking about her every day since the day they gave us this horrible news. Still feels like a very bad dream to me and I know it will take a long time before I could accept it. I'm just hoping she is now in a better place with Cory, who I am pretty positive helped to find her on his death's 7th anniversary. 😢 Rest in Pace Naya,  you were and always be loved by many, and you won't be forgotten. 💗 My heart goes out to her beautiful boy, her family, her friends along other Glee cast member as well as all of her fans.

But in the words of Naya herself, under one of her last posts on Instagram: no matter the year, circumstance, or strifes everyday you're alive is a blessing. make the most of today and every day you are given. tomorrow is not promised. 🖤

To celebrate the memory of Naya, I'm gonna post some of my favorite performances from Glee:

❤️❤️❤️

Edited by Erestor
  • Sad 1