Musician Discography Rankdown (Alicia Keys)

FrogLenzen

FINAL STANDINGS PART TWO

18. Overprotected (The Darkchild Remix) (2002, prod. by Max Martin + Rami + Darkchild, written by Max Martin + Rami)

Album: Greatest Hits: My Prerogative

tumblr_mgjiynyg2F1s1a2wdo1_500.gif

US Billboard Hot 100: #86 (Single)
US Mainstream Top 40 (Billboard): #37 (Single)

United States Certification (RIAA): Platinum (Album)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overprotected

RANKINGS:

Dee: 21

Gigi: 16

Derek: 21

Sola: 20

Steven: 4

Kaley: 12

Andy: 16

Wally: 12

Denise: 15

Rei: 14

Elliott: 19

Lily: 2

Priscilla: 16

JC: 15

QK: 13

Chris: 13

Victoria: 17

Amanda: 19

Final Average = 14.722

COMMENTS

LOL the original is far superior.

On 9/13/2020 at 10:02 PM, *Wallace said:

d382be2140b171f56a01dfcdfd69f8ca.giftumblr_n1uw11xGSD1smonnfo2_250.gifv

I really love “Overprotected (The Darkchild Remix)”  I do love the song but I had soo many other songs in mind to advance through on the final pick that I was starting to give up on “Overprotected.” So I am super glad Lily pushed it through into the finals. So thank you Lily for that! :spaz: I love both versions of the song but I do greatly prefer this remix version. It’s edgier, hotter and sexier version of the song and it gives this an R&B flair to it which I am totally here for. Rodney Jerkins really CAME THROUGH with this remix! :omg: I really wish i could put this higher but I think i can only give it #12. This is another song I felt Britney always related to throughout her career and life back then and now…. as it’s abut her tired of being overprotected and wanting to be her and do her own thing. Ugh so relatable for her. :broken: I love the feistiness and attitude that Britney sings this song with. She really means business with all of what she’s singing here. Some of my favorite parts: 

Say hello to the girl that I am!

You're gonna have to see through my perspective

I need to make mistakes just to learn who I am

And I don't wanna be so damn protected

Tell it Brit! (!) Then I really love the chorus soo much!

What am I to do with my life

(You will find it out don't worry)

How Am I supposed to know what's right?

(You just got to do it your way)

I can't help the way I feel

But my life has been so overprotected

:bobo: Then the bridge is another part of the song I really adore too:

I need… time (love)

I need… space

(This is it, this is it)

I don't need nobody telling me just what I wanna

What I what what what I'm gonna

Do about my destiny

I Say No, No

Nobody's telling me just what what what I wanna do, do

I'm so fed up with people telling me to be

Someone else but me

I LOVEE the music video. It’s one of my favorite Britney videos. She’s just sooo SMOKIN’ HOT in the music video. omg: I LOVE all of her different looks and outfits here too. I was soo obsessed with the video and would watch it so much every day in awe when this was released as a single! :wub::haha: Britney also KILLS and SLAYS all of the dancing and choreography here so flawlessly. Ugh I feel like this is one of Britney’s most overlooked and forgotten singles. Y’all better recognize and not sleep on this. (!) Even if my #12 ranking isn’t helping but ugh I just LOVE all these songs.

On 9/14/2020 at 8:33 PM, miss denise said:

I love the Independence and strength of the lyrics in this song. Britney takes a stand and makes a point in this song that is very relatable to me, even to this day. heart.gif.c504acb42b19a5dcec1a32eb64b25cb0.gif  Even though she seems a bit confused, she remains confident, and the song is empowering because of that. The point is we don't need anyone else telling us what to do with our lives or who to be, and that is an important realization! 

On 9/17/2020 at 7:56 PM, *Chris said:

:bobo: - struggled to figure where to rank this song but I ended up ranking it at #13.

On 9/17/2020 at 9:40 AM, JC said:

I am not sure why the remix is in the top 21 when the original did not make it lol but I love this song as well.

On 9/17/2020 at 5:42 PM, QueenKalie said:

another good song

On 9/15/2020 at 4:12 PM, *Lily said:

Overprotected is one of my all-time favorite Britney songs. Max Martin did exactly what he needed to do with this. And then Darkchild took it and made it even more R&Britney than it already was. If this gets robbed I will be rioting and using the gif of Viola Davis getting her bag and walking out.

On 9/15/2020 at 8:44 AM, Elliott said:

Why?

On 9/11/2020 at 4:48 PM, taylorkat said:

I prefer the original.

On 9/13/2020 at 10:35 AM, ~*8Kay8*~ said:

not going to lie, I prefer the original to this remix. The song is great either way though. I feel like it’s even more relevant now with everything going on with her conservatorship.

17. Sometimes (2007, prod. by Per Magnusson + David Kreuger + Jörgen Elofsson, written by Jörgen Elofsson)

Album: ...Baby One More Time

BouncySpryJackrabbit-small.gif

US Billboard Hot 100 (Billboard): #21 (Single)

US Adult Contemporary (Billboard): #11 (Single)

US Adult Top 40 (Billboard): #29 (Single)

US Mainstream Top 40 (Billboard): #6 (Single)

US Rhythmic (Billboard): #12 (Single)

US Billboard Hot 100 Year-End Charts (Billboard): #86 (Single)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sometimes_(Britney_Spears_song)

RANKINGS:

Dee: 18

Gigi: 19

Derek: 16

Sola: 17

Steven: 11

Kaley: 20

Andy: 18

Wally: 8

Denise: 1

Rei: 20

Elliott: 20

Lily: 8

Priscilla: 7

JC: 19

QK: 6

Chris: 20

Victoria: 7

Amanda: 21

Final Average = 14.222

COMMENTS

I remember this song so fondly when I think of my childhood. But nowadays I just question why this made the finals? Lol.

I don't expect this song to rank super high, but it is a very special favorite for me, so I am going to rank it #1. My top few favorites are all kind of interchangeable, but I will do it this way.  This song really makes me nostalgic for when I first heard it and would listen to it all the time, and it also is close to my heart for personal reasons. But everything about the melody, lyrics, and how Britney sings this sweet song about being afraid in love really gets me in my feels. heart.gif.c504acb42b19a5dcec1a32eb64b25cb0.gif Right from the start with that melody, I am in another world. heart.gif.c504acb42b19a5dcec1a32eb64b25cb0.gif "But every time you come too close, I move away" bye2.gif.7960d44992e1eeff806cdce1d9856c29.gifThe emotions and conflicted feeling from the lyrics are so real and genuine. Also, the bridge!! :wub: One of my absolute favorites, although I love and connect with every second of this song so so much. The background singing is so good and complements Britney's lead vocals so beautifully too. heart.gif.c504acb42b19a5dcec1a32eb64b25cb0.gif  I just adore this song and can never get enough of it no matter how many times I listen. It is also my most listened to Britney song (but fun fact, has just one play more than the song I ranked #2). heart.gif.c504acb42b19a5dcec1a32eb64b25cb0.gif 

On 9/13/2020 at 10:02 PM, *Wallace said:

tumblr_n24r51ltHb1r9nlfxo1_r1_500.gif

Ahh I always got lots of love for Britney regardless of the time period and era… but I do love me some ….Baby One More Time Britney and “Sometimes” is a big reason for that. :wub: I know this song is a huge favorite of Denise’s soo thank you Denise for pushing this song into the finals because it certainly deserves to be here! ❤️ I actually struggled with where to rank this song as I was switching this with some others but decided to place this at #8. This song is so sweet, innocent and pure. It’s also sooo  nostalgic to me where I would remember watching the video and hearing this song a lot  when it was out and never got tired of it. I also really love Britney’s vocals on this too. :wub: This song does tell a very relatable story where you want to be with someone but you’re hesitant on it because everything they say sounds so good but you don’t want to be let down. And if you do go with them you just want to take it slow. I would say some of my favorite parts includes the pore-chorus and chorus where Britney sings.

I wanna believe in everything that you say

'Cause it sounds so good

But if you really want me move slow

There's things about me you just have to know

Sometimes I run

Sometimes I hide

Sometimes I'm scared of you

But all I really want is to hold you tight

Treat you right, be with you day and night

Baby, all I need is time

❤️ Some other parts from the second verse that I love is where she sings: You'll see that you're the only one for me. Then I also really love the bridge of the song especially the part where she sings: 

If you love me, trust in me

The way that I trust in you

She delivers such pretty vocal  ad-libs here and throughout the end of the song. :wub: I also really love the music video and think it’s so cute and adorable. The spring/summertime beach setting is perfect for the song. I love all of Britney’s looks in this too.

I'm aware this song gives of BRDE (Big Radio Disney Energy) but I've always adored it, it's one of my favorite early Britney songs and I'm glad it made it here.

Another slow well known song from Brit, which I enjoy as well.

This being in the top 21 makes me convinced some of y'all have only listened to her first album.

It's okay.

I forgot how much I liked this song, but it doesn't measure up to the other songs.

Classic song

When I was 11 my family went on a cruise. It was right after this song came out. For the kids’ activity talent show, me and a group of other preteens I had just met decided to lip sync and choreograph a routine for this song as our “talent.” The fact that I still feel an almost painful wave of embarrassment whenever I hear this song is why it falls second-to-last for me. Still a jam, though!

16. If U Seek Amy (2008, prod. by Max Martin, written by Max Martin + Shellback + Savan Kotecha + Alexander Kronlund)

Album: Circus

giphy.gif

US Billboard Hot 100: #19 (Single)

US Adult Top 40 (Billboard): #37 (Single)

US Dance Club Songs (Billboard): #16 (Single)
US Mainstream Top 40 (Billboard): #8 (Single)

US Rhythmic (Billboard): #33 (Single)

US Billboard Hot 100 Year-End Charts: #74 (Single)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_U_Seek_Amy

RANKINGS

Dee: 8

Gigi: 20

Derek: 20

Sola: 2

Steven: 17

Kaley: 17

Andy: 13

Wally: 17

Denise: 18

Rei: 5

Elliott: 6

Lily: 14

Priscilla: 17

JC: 16

QK: 19

Chris: 8

Victoria: 18

Amanda: 15

Final Average = 13.889

COMMENTS

Obviously the best track from Circus. We stan Controversney!!!!

I dislike this song, I find it annoying.  Definitely not Top 21 material for me.

SO fun and clever! I love this song. It sounds so fun and poppy you almost miss the innuendo.

On 9/13/2020 at 10:10 PM, *Wallace said:

tumblr_m6s0hsMT0q1rt27hoo1_500.gif

Oooh I love “If U Seek Amy” and am happy to see this song in the finals. It’s not a song I was fighting or too strongly pulling for to be in the finals per se but I do love it enough to play it at #17. So well done Sola getting this here! :yes: This is one of those songs that makes me giggle whenever i hear it. :giggle: It’s flirty, sexy, hot and it has that very subliminal message to it…. that we all know about. :dead:  First off I love all of those classic ooh baby baby parts that Britney sings! :wub: Then another part I LOVE is where she sings: Can somebody take me home. Ha ha he he ha ha ho. Always gets to me! :giggle:

THAT chorus is where it’s at though! I love it soo much.

Love me hate me

Say what you want about me

But all of the boys and all of the girls are begging to if you seek Amy

Love me hate me

But can't you see what I see

All of the boys and all of the girls are begging to if you seek Amy

:bobo::dead: 

The music video is so fun and hot too. There’s a lot of boys and girls there that are begging to if you seek a Britney…. oh my. 😮 But lol it also cracks me up how Britney hangs into this innocent motherly character at the end of the video too. But yes this song is so fun and flirty. I'm here for it!

We're getting to the songs that I obviously remember when I hear them but they do not necessarily pop into my mind immediately without needing to hear them. This song has an amazing beat too.

Queen of subliminal messaging. This song deserves more love.

My favourite from "Circus".

Queen of wordplay

Meh

"La, la, la, la-la, la, la, la" :bobo: This song has such a fun beat. Not really one of my favorites, but I still enjoy it. The chorus has this kind of punching feel about that I can't describe, but it's catchy!

Edited by Deeee

“Overprotected.” SUCH a jam! :wub: But gahh I did have a feeling it would rank lower as I find it one of Britney’s more underrated songs. :( Although some people are sleeping on that sick remix. Love Lily’s comment! :dead: Ugh I wish i could have ranked it higher myself lmao. 

“Sometimes.” :wub: Awww I wish this one ranked higher but the nostalgia of this track is just ttoo strong for me to ignore. And it does deserves its spot in the finals. (!) I adore this one and really love Denise’s write-up on this too, as I know this is a huge favorite of hers. And Elliott needs to stop with the first album comments. 🙂 Aww I love Kaley’s story with this song. I’d love to see that lip sync routine. :giggle: 

“If U Seek Amy.” ❤️ Love this… such a fun and flirty song. And one I can agree with its ranking of this set. :haha: 

Wally and I being in the minority about the Overprotected Remix >>> Overprotected :wub: :wub:

I do love the original too and they’re very close for me. Just love what Darkchild added to the song personally. Glad I was able to advance it to the end and give it some love even if the original probably would have fared a little better.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, *Lily said:

Wally and I being in the minority about the Overprotected Remix >>> Overprotected :wub: :wub:

I do love the original too and they’re very close for me. Just love what Darkchild added to the song personally. Glad I was able to advance it to the end and give it some love even if the original probably would have fared a little better.

Always gotta love our agreement! :wub:  And also seems we agree more on Britney than Beyonce & Rihanna so far. :haha: 🙈

Agree with everything you said on the remix. I love the original too but if it was in here, I probably would have put it at like #18/19 or so? :haha: The remix always had that extra spark/fire to me and a MUCH better music video.