Musician Discography Rankdown (Bonus Round Announcement)

FrogLenzen

ALANIS MORISSETTE RESULTS PART SEVEN

3. Ironic (1995 prod. by Glen Ballard, written by Alanis Morissette + Glen Ballard)

Album: Jagged Little Pill

tenor.gif?itemid=5582323

US Billboard Hot 100: #4 (Single)

US Alternative Songs (Billboard): #1 (Single)

US Mainstream Top 40 (Billboard): #1 (Single)

Canada Top Singles (RPM): #1 (Single)

US Billboard 200: #1 (Album)

Canadian Albums Chart: #1 (Album)

United States Certifications (RIAA): Gold (Single)

United States Album Certification (RIAA): 16x Platinum

Canada Album Certification (Music Canada): 2x Diamond

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ironic_(song)

RANKINGS

Dee: 2

Elliott: 5

Derek: 9

Megan: 4

Rei: 1

Tom: 2

Andy: 9
Wally: 1

Victoria: 1

Chris: 12

Kaley: 10

Public: 2

Final Average = 4.833

COMMENTS

Ironic is one of the most masterfully made songs. Iconic. Revolutionary. Masterpiece. One of the greatest songs ever. One of my favorite songs ever. The quality. The star power.

On 7/16/2020 at 12:13 PM, Elliott said:

lol actually JK, I think this song may end up winning. :wub: Ironic is an iconic song of things that aren't actually ironic, which winds up making the song itself ironic. Crafty queen! :giggle:However, I think where Ironic really shines is its iconic music video, featuring three versions of Alanis Morissette interacting with one another. That music video alone catapulted this song into the stratosphere, and contributed to it being her highest-selling single of all time. Yep, Ironic is Jagged Little Pill's most successful single. I was just as surprised when I learned about it ten years ago. I also don't know how many people know, but not too long after her tour for JLP started, Alanis began to amend the lyric to "It's meeting the fan of your dreams, and then meeting his beautiful husband" to show her support for same-sex marriage. QUEEN. Also as much as I loathe James Corden, I also loved the updated version she did back on his show in 2015. :giggle:

On 7/16/2020 at 12:57 AM, ~*8Kay8*~ said:

Years ago, this song probably would have been top 5, but my love for it has faded a little through the years. It’s definitely iconic, and such a fun music video.

On 7/15/2020 at 1:27 PM, .Rei said:

First of all, the video of this song is absolutely flawless. Second of all the song is flawless. Third of all this is my favorite Alanis song that took too long to be advanced even though I was sure it was going to be one of the first to do so, shame on us. It probably won't win but I hope it cracks the top 5 at least. 5/5

On 7/15/2020 at 9:08 PM, *Wallace said:

Classic Alanis! Who doesn’t know this song? This is such a gorgeous and fun song. Love her voice on the softer parts and the catchy upbeat chorus. I actually considered this my favorite Alanis song when I would hear it here and there when it was out (when I didn’t rally know her). My #2 song is kinda rivaling that now but this song is still iconic so I will leave it at #1.

On 7/15/2020 at 10:44 PM, *Chris said:

Iconic song that you cannot help yourself but to sing out loud - one of the first song of hers that I remember hearing. I know this song will rank high but I would rather not see it win, to be honest, as I think she has some better songs.

2. You Oughta Know (1995 prod. by Alanis Morissette, written by Alanis Morissette + Glen Ballard)

Album: Jagged Little Pill

tumblr_pa9g1zvuSK1ugv7b3o1_400.gifv

US Alternative Songs (Billboard): #1 (Single)

Canada Top Singles (RPM): #6 (Single)

US Billboard Hot 100: #1 (Single)

United States Certification (RIAA): Gold (Single)

Canadian Albums Chart: #1 (Album)

United States Album Certification (RIAA): 16x Platinum

Canada Album Certification (Music Canada): 2x Diamond

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Oughta_Know

RANKINGS

Dee: 3

Elliott: 6

Derek: 1

Megan: 1

Rei: 3

Tom: 3

Andy: 5
Wally: 2

Victoria: 3

Chris: 14

Kaley: 2

Public: 3

Final Average = 3.833

COMMENTS

You Oughta Know is that b*tch. A decade-defining song. A masterpiece. Definitely her signature track. The most iconic man-hating song ever?!?!?! Perhaps! One of the best songs ever made and one of my favorite songs of all-time.

This song! It remains my favorite song to sing at the top of my lungs while driving. I also think that when you mention Alanis Morissette to anyone, this is probably the first song that comes to mind. All of the lyrics are iconic. My favorite is probably: “Everytime you speak her name, does she know that you told me you’d hold me until you died? ‘Til you died? But you’re still alive!” But honestly, every line is quotable (“Did you forget about me, Mr. Duplicity?” being a very close second!). I’ve loved this song since I was waaaaay too young to love it. Apologies to my mom for pre-teen Kaley bouncing around the house singing about going down on someone in a theater before I knew what that meant. Whether it’s about Uncle Joey or not, this song is possibly the most iconic breakup song ever!

One of her song that everyone knows; I absolutely love this song - I dig the passion / anger that she has in her voice while singing this song. Any live version of this song also snatch my wig off. Anyway, giving this a lower ranking than I wanted as I feel it may be a shoe-in to take it all? 

A masterpiece. A Classic. Her signature song. Pure artistry. 5/5

On 7/15/2020 at 7:08 PM, ~Tom~ said:

The acoustic version slays as well.

“You Oughta Know” is a very iconic and great rock song from Alanis. This was her breakthrough song that launched her into a star with the Jagged Little Pill album. I always liked this song but this is one of those songs that grows on me more and more as the years go on. I always I preferred “Ironic” over this song but over the years and this list, I am not so sure anymore. I do love how angsty this song is with the music and her vocals.

On 7/16/2020 at 11:46 AM, Elliott said:

In my personal opinion, You Oughta Know is probably the second most iconic 90s rock song after Smells Like Teen Spirit, and it absolutely deserves the legacy it's left behind since its release. Never before had female sexuality and anger and rage been so prevalent in Top 40 radio, which - from what I've read - was an early contributor to why it did so well so quickly. I think the song was definitely the catalyst for unleashing the 90s female singer-songwriter movement into the mainstream, and as a fan of Fiona Apple, Sheryl Crow and Paula Cole among others, I was absolutely here for it. That said, because it's me, there are still a couple of tracks from Jagged Little Pill I like more than YOK, so despite how absolutely f*cking iconic this song is, I'm basing my list off personal feelings and putting it here. I'm fully expecting it to win, though, which I'd be totally fine with.

Also obligatory How I Met Your Mother reference because Robin truly was the best character from that show:

1. Thank U (1998 prod. by Alanis Morissette + Rob Cavallo, written by Alanis Morissette)

Album: Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie

HPOg.gif

US Mainstream Top 40 (Billboard): #2 (Single)

Canada Top Singles (RPM): #1 (Single)

US Billboard Hot 100: #17 (Single)

US Adult Top 40 (Billboard): #1 (Single)

Canadian Albums Chart: #2 (Album)

United States Album Certification (RIAA): 3x Platinum (Album)

Canadian Album Certification (Music Canada): 4x Platinum

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thank_U

RANKINGS

Dee: 1

Elliott: 2

Derek: 4

Megan: 5

Rei: 6

Tom: 4

Andy: 2
Wally: 3

Victoria: 6

Chris: 6

Kaley: 6

Public: 1

Final Average = 3.833

COMMENTS

DID MY FAVORITE ALANIS SONG AND MY NUMBER ONE JUST WIN THIS RANKDOWN?!?!?! OMG. THANK U DID THAT. WHAT A PERFECT SONG AND PERFECT WINNER.

17 hours ago, Elliott said:

Iconic song and truly one of the greatest pop songs in existence. Dee has taste for it being his favourite Alanis song. As evidenced by this ranking, it almost has that title for me. Thank U is impossible not to stan, and is easily the highlight on a truly incredible album. The way her voice shines on some of those notes in the chorus? Chills. That revolutionary music video that’s still one of the most memorable videos 22 years later? Flawless.

Another of my favorite vocals from her. This really is a beautiful song, and one that I love even more as I relisten to her stuff.

Such a beautiful song. Iconic video. Another masterpiece from Alanis. 5/5

On 7/15/2020 at 7:08 PM, ~Tom~ said:

My favorite from SFIJ by a mile. ❤️ 

This was the first Alanis song/video I followed its chart run and such when it was out as I started following the music scene when this came out in 1998. Love this song and it’s one of my very faves from Alanis. :wub: The music video did have me going WTH is going on with a naked Alanis with her hair covering herself. :dead: Still a gorgeous song!

Everything about this song is amazing, but the music video takes the cake - easily one of her more recognizable video, along with Everything. 

Edited by Deeee

16 minutes ago, .Rei said:

You're still my twin :( 

and except for Uninvited and Sympathetic Character we have very similar taste

I went back to see all of our rankings so I can show it to you :haha:

Wunderkind - Kaley 18, Rei 21

Perfect - Both 20

Not the doctor - Kaley 14, Rei 17

I was hoping - Both 13

Everything - Rei 10, Kaley 12

Smiling - Both 19

Sympathetic Character - Rei 11, Kaley 21

Baba - Kaley 15, Rei 18

Hands Clean - Both 4

That I would be good - Rei 12, Kaley 17

Right through you - Rei 14, Kaley 16

All I really want - Kaley 11, Rei 16

Forgiven - Rei 2, Kaley 3 (Pretty much the same ranking)

Mary Jane - Both 8

Head over feet - Kaley 9, Rei 11

You learn - Both 7

Hand in my pocket - Both 5

Uninvited - Kaley 15, Rei 1 :ph34rwave:

Wow, that’s pretty impressive considering how all over the place rankings were. As I was reading through them I noticed a lot of our stuff did seem similar, but that’s more than I thought!

Also, I can apologize to you for “Ironic” since I ranked it much lower :haha:

Edited by ~*8Kay8*~

1 minute ago, 1234567890 said:

I will echo the same sentiment over and over again. People actually take the effort to rank songs in this rankdown? :whut:

giphy.gif

It’s a rankdown sis, you rank them too :haha: 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ~*8Kay8*~ said:

What an amazing final ranking! I loved having no idea what was going to show up when :heartbounce:

It was so much fun going back through Alanis’ albums, and I was reminded of so many amazing songs I haven’t thought of in a while.

same here!

Listening to Alanis songs back to back was such a nostalgic experience and made me remember why she is one of my favorite artists ever ❤️

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ~*8Kay8*~ said:

Wow, that’s pretty impressive considering how all over the place rankings were. As I was reading through them i notices a lot of our stuff did seem similar, but that’s more than I thought!

Also, I can apologize to you for “Ironic” since I ranked it much lower :haha:

we also ranked Thank U at the same spot :haha: 

It is okay :thumbs:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Solaris said:

I am nervcited for Carrie Underwood.  I love all of her songs, but I will pull my hair out trying to rank them.  

I'm already preparing myself for all the meltdowns I'm gonna have with everybody else during Shakira's round :haha:

6 minutes ago, 1234567890 said:

I agree, @~*8Kay8*~. :haha: Last week or so was Bey week in my household and this week was Alanis. :dead: My family members keep asking did they die or something because I kept playing their music the whole week when their rounds were up. :haha:

It’s nice having a theme for the music I listen to for my commutes. Excited for Carrie week! 

Edited by ~*8Kay8*~

Just now, sublymonal said:

Inside Your Heaven wants to talk

i like it because she sang it (And I love everything she's done), but its not one of her good singles.  I wanted Angels Brought Me Here to be her winner single.