DWTS Season 29 Discussion Thread

2 hours ago, 1234567890 said:

I haven’t even been following this season but Skai Jackson was eliminated last night and not Nelly? :/

You would be correct there. :( 

58 minutes ago, ungodlyhour said:

cheryl said on her instagram story that nelly's jive was the best dance of the season :dead:  maybe we don't need her as a judge

omg she said that? :dead: 

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cheryl is draginggggggggg. Namedrops Nelly even lol.

Lmao the pros are so done with the judges this season. Can't even blame them.

Some of these couples could’ve done one of these styles instead of both Contemporary and Jazz which are essentially the same. 🙂    Let them do one but not other like they did in season 16!

Finale press release is out!

“Finale” – Four celebrity and pro-dancer couples dance and compete in the live season finale where one couple will win the coveted Mirrorball Trophy, MONDAY, NOV. 23 (8:00-10:00 p.m. EST), on ABC. Episodes can also be viewed the next day on demand and on Hulu. 

Tyra Banks will walk out to “I’m So Excited” by The Pointer Sisters. For this week, each couple will repeat one of their favorite performances from earlier in the season with some new creative elements. Then, for the last element of competition, the couples will perform the most anticipated dance of the season—the fan-favorite Freestyle. In addition, Nelly will perform a medley of his greatest hits including “Ride Wit Me,” “Lil Bit” and “Hot in Herre” while his pro dancer Daniella Karagach dances with her husband, Pasha Pashkov. And Derek Hough will dance solo on the ballroom floor to “Let’s Fall in Love for the Night.” Also, a number of the couples who were eliminated earlier in the season will return to the ballroom.

In show, viewers will get a sneak peek of the remaining season of “The Bachelorette” with Tayshia and a first look at Matt James as “The Bachelor.”

Live votes (via abc.com, the ABC app and SMS/text) will occur each week only during the live broadcast in the EST/CST time zones (but fans in all U.S. time zones may vote within that window). The live vote will be combined with the judges’ scores and tabulated in real time, determining the Mirrorball Champion.

The couples are as follows (with dances and songs):

Kaitlyn Bristowe (“The Bachelor,” “The Bachelorette”) and pro Artem Chigvintsev will repeat their Argentine Tango to “Toxic” by Britney Spears, then a Freestyle dance to “Sparkling Diamonds” from “Moulin Rouge”
Actress Justina Machado (“One Day at a Time”) and pro Sasha Farber will repeat their Cha to “Respect” by Aretha Franklin, then a Freestyle dance to “Let’s Get Loud” by Jennifer Lopez and “Bamboleo” by The Gypsy Kings.
GRAMMY®-winning rapper Nelly and pro Daniella Karagach will repeat their Samba to “Rhythm of the Night” by DeBarge, then a Freestyle dance to “Savage” by Megan Thee Stallion and “Hypnotize” by The Notorious B.I.G.
TV host Nev Schulman (“Catfish”) and pro Jenna Johnson will repeat their Paso Doble to “Black Swan Swan Lake” by District 78, then a Freestyle dance to “Singin’ in the Rain” by District 78.

Thoughts:

Enjoying all of the favorite dance styles here. On paper Justina seems to kinda have a slight disadvantage there dancing her Week 1 style compared to the others who's were at least halfway through the season. But saying that, her Cha-Cha was my favorite dance of Week 1, and she did do a Cha-Cha in the relay/did a great job, so I'm excited to see it again.

Freestyle song choices are interesting. Justina had the sort of songs I was expecting, really playing into her Latin strengths so I hope Sasha choreographs a great fun number there. I can't find the District 78 remix for Nev and am wondering if there's a typo.. because there's a Singin' in the Rain remix which I've been waiting to see as a Freestyle song choice on the show for years... I wonder if it's that one and think that'd be a great one for him if so.

Nelly dancing to Savage was not what I was expecting. :dead: But lol that Megan Thee Stallion/Biggie mashup seems like it'll be right up Nelly's street and go all out with the hip-hop style like in his Jazz performance so a good fit. I'm super excited for Kaitlyn's Freestyle! :wub: I love that song and think it'll make an excellent pick. It'll be interesting to see Artem's first DWTS Freestyle too, I enjoyed his Strictly ones but excited to see what he does here.

Edited by *Lily

OMG Finally the press release comes out! :dead: Thanks for posting, Lily! 😄 

- Ooh kinda surprised Justina chose her Week 1 Cha-Cha to reprise. Ideally i would have loved seeing her Samba again but this is a great choice for her. This was the dance that made her a contender to a lot of us, and it will be great to see how she improves on it. Her Freestyle is the right direction and what I was expecting/hoping for her. Although it’s interesting how Sasha has two Latin Fusion freestyles back to back with Ally and Justina.

- Kaitlyn’s AT is my favorite from her but kinda bummed she chose that again as we just saw that two weeks ago. Still a smart pick but I would have loved seeing an earlier dance, ala her Viennese Waltz which was great and would like seeing her improve upon that. I feel like she has ~the least obvious~ Freestyle songs there  but this should be a cute, fun number and def a difference from her reprisal.

- Yayy happy Nelly chose his Samba, which seemed like the obvious pick for him. I felt the Samba was one of his best dances (and well my actual fave of his before his Jive), so I’m looking forward to that. OMGG a Hypnotize/Savage fusion? I was not expecting that. :dead: Love both songs, and should be a fun Freestyle - so I’m looking forward to it. Oh HIH/RWM makes sense for his performance. But is “Lil Bit” a new song of his because I don’t remember this one at all - though I haven’t followed his career as much for the last few years or so? He should have had “Country Grammar” or “Dilemma” in his greatest hits performance instead.

- Nev’s Paso is my favorite dance of his too (excluding his dances from this week but don’t want to see those again so soon), soo this is a great choice. Can’t really go wrong with SITR, and I do think this is a great song and something that suits him. I feel it could have an Alfonso/Riker/Jordan vibe to his dance but then I could be wrong as extra dancers won’t be there. Should be good.

Looks like a solid night! Looking forward to the show.

14 hours ago, *Wallace said:

But is “Lil Bit” a new song of his because I don’t remember this one at all - though I haven’t followed his career as much for the last few years or so?

Yeah it's his new song with Florida Georgia Line I believe. :yes: I did kinda expect more from Country Grammar since I think I heard in an interview he's doing an AMAs performance celebrating the 20 year anniversary of that album. 😮 But then I get why he's doing his new song for promo reasons. :haha:

Edited by *Lily

I'm by no means endorsing a Nelly win, but also the best part about Bobby winning was this:

dwts11.jpg?w=620&h=360&crop=1

So if any of the reactions could live up to this maybe I could deal with it (a twisted part of me almost wants Nev to finish runner-up to him because you just know he thinks he has this in the bag :giggle:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
12 hours ago, *Lily said:

Yeah it's his new song with Florida Georgia Line I believe. :yes: I did kinda expect more from Country Grammar since I think I heard in an interview he's doing an AMAs performance celebrating the 20 year anniversary of that album. 😮 But then I get why he's doing his new song for promo reasons. :haha:

Ahhh thank you for that. I totally forgot about that song. :haha: Ooooh I seee. OK so he would be saving Country Grammar for the AMAs. Makes sense.

12 hours ago, Elliott said:

I’m retiring as a Cheryl stan.

You stop. 😘 You know you will go back to loving her again. :haha:❤️ 

5 hours ago, Alex95 said:

I don't think a Nelly win would give us fun reactions. Now that Bobby won, everyone knows anything's possible. And everyone knows he's never hit bottom two while no one knew just how well Bobby was doing.

Yeahh I agree with this here too. There will be some outrage but there won't/shouldn't be much shock as there is a possibility Nelly could win. And yeah we know Nelly's fan vote is massive where we had no dea about that with Bobby.

1 hour ago, *Lily said:

Ok well I’d enjoy Daniella’s reaction at least. Her pure shock at making it through each week, whilst Nelly looks utterly confused, has been a joy ❤️ 

Oooh lol yeah their reactions to see them winning would definitely be the most fun as I definitely see them reacting very differently. :lmao: 

Time for my weekly Youtube stats post of this week's dances! 😄 

DWTS Season 29, Week 9 - Youtube Views

(Updated at: Thursday 11/12 @ 10 PM)

1. Nelly & Daniella - Jive: 206,082 views / 3,247 likes / 235 dislikes
  2. Kaitlyn & Artem - Contemporary: 194,609 views / 2,724 likes / 53 dislikes
  3. Skai & Alan - Cha-Cha: 194,544 views / 5,928 likes / 73 dislikes
  4. Kaitlyn & Artem - Paso Doble: 150,455 views / 2,058 likes / 73 dislikes
  5. Nev & Jenna - Contemporary: 139,662 views / 3,623 likes / 41 dislikes
  6. Skai & Alan - Viennese Waltz: 132,968 views / 4,140 likes / 43 dislikes
  7. Nelly & Daniella - Paso Doble: 125,225 views / 1,983 likes / 181 dislikes
  8. Nev & Jenna - Foxtrot: 95,026 views / 1,985 likes / 35 dislikes
  9. Johnny & Britt - Salsa: 89,510 views / 1,801 likes / 42 dislikes
  10. Justina & Sasha - Contemporary: 89,223 views / 2,121 likes / 29 dislikes
  11. Johnny & Britt - Jazz: 74,690 views / 1,715 likes / 26 dislikes
  12. Justina & Sasha - Tango: 73,115 views / 1,635 likes / 65 dislikes

Top 3 Likes:

1. Skai & Alan - Cha-Cha
  2. Skai & Alan - Viennese Watz
  3. Nev & Jenna - Contemporary

Bottom 3 Likes:

1. Justina & Sasha - Tango
  2. Johnny & Britt - Jazz
  3. Johnny & Britt - Salsa

Top 3 Dislikes:

1. Nelly & Daniella - Jive
  2. Nelly & Daniella - Paso Doble
  3. Skai & Alan - Cha-Cha / Kaitlyn & Artem - Paso Doble

Bottom 3 Dislikes:

1. Johnny & Britt - Jazz
  2. Justina & Sasha - Contemporary
  3. Nev & Jenna - Foxtrot

Since we’re not getting any new unlearned styes from the couples tomorrow, I was thinking of and wondering on the styles that the Final 6 couples missed out on dancing this season. Each couple missed out on 5 styles. :broken: This is what I came up with. 

Johnny & Britt

- Argentine Tango

- Charleston

- Paso Doble

- Samba

- Waltz

Justina & Sasha

- Argentine Tango

- Jive

- Paso Doble

- Quickstep

- Waltz

Kaitlyn & Artem

- Charleston

- Jazz

- Quickstep

- Salsa

- Waltz

Nelly & Daniella

- Charleston

- Contemporary

- Quickstep

- Tango

- Waltz

Nev & Jenna

- Charleston

- Salsa

- Samba

- Tango

- Waltz

Skai & Alan

- Charleston

- Contemporary

- Quickstep

- Rumba

- Waltz

Some thoughts:

- Everyone missed out on the Charleston, except Justina.

- Kinda surprising to see the three women in Justina/Kaitlyn/Skai missing  out on the Quickstep. But the only woman to do a Quickstep this season was Anne, while all the men except Charles did that style.

- Everyone missed out on the Waltz (only done by Chrishell & AJ) but they all did the Viennese Waltz.

- Nev is the only one to miss out on two of the 3 party Latin dances - skipping the Salsa and Samba. Do wish he could have done one of those.

- I noticed Nelly didn’t do a lot of ballroom - but LOL how does he make it to the final and get by dancing only two proper ballroom styles the whole season? :dead: Could be 3 if you count the Argentine Tango as a ballroom style.

• Like 2

Some of these couples could’ve done one of these styles instead of both Contemporary and Jazz which are essentially the same. 🙂 

Let them do one but not other like they did in season 16!

• Like 5

Johnny and Britt did a Q&A on Instagram and revealed they are going to film a performance of their Freestyle to share ❤️ Love their friendship!

The Freestyle was going to be to “The Story” by Brandi Carlile which is such a beautiful song so I can imagine it would have been a gorgeous number :wub:

Edited by *Lily
  • Like 2
41 minutes ago, *Lily said:

Johnny and Britt did a Q&A on Instagram and revealed they are going to film a performance of their Freestyle to share ❤️ Love their friendship!

The Freestyle was going to be to “The Story” by Brandi Carlile which is such a beautiful song so I can imagine it would have been a gorgeous number :wub:

Can't wait to see it ❤️ 

7 hours ago, ungodlyhour said:

the way i would have killed for johnny to do an AT & skai to do a charleston

Ooh yess when I was gathering up this list, I was especially thinking how Skai would have done a great Charleston. :broken: I can see Johnny doing a great AT too.

4 hours ago, *Amanda said:

Some of these couples could’ve done one of these styles instead of both Contemporary and Jazz which are essentially the same. 🙂 

Let them do one but not other like they did in season 16!

All of this! (!) 

I was secretly / unsecretly hoping that would have been  the case but then..... last week happened when some couples did both styles. 🙈

2 hours ago, *Lily said:

I love their friendship too. ❤️ And oooo that would have been  a very beautiful routine. 😮 I'm gad they rehearsed and worked hard enough on it to actually post it for the fans. 😮  How I wish we could have gotten that from some couples just missing out on the final.

• Like 1