idolforums.com
Sign in to follow this  
*Lily

DWTS Season 29 Discussion Thread

17 hours ago, *Amanda said:

Also, she says the plan is for her, Len, and Bruno to be back.

unimpressed viola davis GIF

On 7/15/2020 at 5:33 AM, *Lily said:

What are they thinking?! :dead:

I do love Tyra but I can’t see this being received well at all...wasn’t she kinda bad/poorly-received on AGT (I didn’t really watch but thought that’s what I heard)?

This will be an interesting season I guess. :haha:

Yeah her hosting was badly received on AGT. Hoping she gets a better reaction here and does better..... but we'll see.

On 7/15/2020 at 11:25 AM, Alex95 said:

It seems like a very clear push for more diversity behind the scenes and in front of the camera, which of course is amazing, but idk if Tyra for Tom was the way to go lol. More pros of color (promote Britt!!!!!), better and more diverse judges, more diverse celebrities that aren't your token pop star and football player, and more diverse producers. Firing Tom Bergeron for Tyra Banks isn't ending racism :haha:. Also I'm not sure if progressives would choose Tyra Banks as the voice of the show since this past year a bunch of her old ANTM clips have been floating around twitter as everyone is blown away by how problematic the show is/was.

Agreed completely on all of this. There are FAR other ways in bringing more diversity to the show than firing the actual face of DWTS in Tom. 😐 Bringing in more pros of color and celebs in - as well as backstage production are some key factors.

On 7/15/2020 at 11:38 AM, *Amanda said:

I mean, since they were aiming for more diversity with a host change, there are several past contestants who fit the bill better than Tyra.

I thought for sure they’d choose someone from the Alfonso/Rashad/Jordan Golden Boy trio as a host. :haha: 

But yeah, bringing in Tyra isn’t going to fix the long-standing problem this show has with diversity if there isn’t a serious shake-up to other aspects of the show as well.

Lol yess I was thinking they would go in choosing one of those 3. Maybe not Alfonso as he's hosting AFV but Rashad or Jordan could have worked.

Seriously.

On 7/15/2020 at 12:30 PM, *Lily said:

Also when GMA today called Tyra the first black female host the show has had...the Lisa Canning erasure! 💔 I feel like @Alex95 and I’s stanning her was for nothing!

I saw this from GMA and thought the same thing. :( 

On 7/15/2020 at 10:11 PM, 1234567890 said:

I thought for sure Alfonso was going to be the new host. I honestly would rather have him than Tyra. I love Tyra but she isn't the right demo for the show. The soccer moms are not going to like her and I wouldn't be surprised if she quit after a season or two. :haha:

Yeah I was thinking the same.

I just realized that Len might not even be able to come to US to do the show with all of the travel restrictions in place.

On 7/19/2020 at 4:21 AM, Densu said:

This better have been a financial decision, though I can't imagine Tyra being cheaper than Tom. This show has had so many issues that could be fixed but instead of focusing on those, they're messing with arguably the best and most consistent part of the show. Same thing happened with SYTYCD. They kept changing up the things that worked and ignoring the things that didn't. I hope the show can survive beyond this season because it's been a huge part of my life for the past 15 years but if it doesn't, the producers have only themselves to blame.

Exactly to all of this. (!) 

1 minute ago, Elliott said:

I just realized that Len might not even be able to come to US to do the show with all of the travel restrictions in place.

Oooh yeah that's another thing to think about.

I’m not sure where Len lives now but thought maybe he’s US-based? Since he retired from Strictly to commit to DWTS and not do the weekly traveling. So idk if that’s where he’s located mainly.