DWTS Season 29 Discussion Thread

*Lily

1 hour ago, Alex95 said:

Carole Baskin is at the top of all the headlines, she's gonna be around for a long time I fear. My hot take on Tiger King is that everyone involved is trash.

1 hour ago, Solaris said:

I mean, she fed her husband to a tiger.  

Carole Baskins was done so dirty by Tiger King that I can see why she'd want to do DWTS to help her image. Because Tiger didn't show that she actually does really good work. Her Big Cat Rescue sanctuary is highly accredited and very respected around the world and with experts on well-being of Big Cats who are unable to go to the wild because they were bred in the US. She also has done a lot of really good activist work in trying to prevent exotic animal adoptions/breeding here in the US.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, totes4totes said:

Carole Baskins was done so dirty by Tiger King that I can see why she'd want to do DWTS to help her image. Because Tiger didn't show that she actually does really good work. Her Big Cat Rescue sanctuary is highly accredited and very respected around the world and with experts on well-being of Big Cats who are unable to go to the wild because they were bred in the US. She also has done a lot of really good activist work in trying to prevent exotic animal adoptions/breeding here in the US.

tea GIF

Carole Baskin is actually an activist compared to Joe Exotic’s known history of animal abuse.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Elliott said:

F*ck JVDB’s drag right?

:haha:

I'm sure she wasn't including James. But Emma has had more bad partners than good partners so I'm sure Amanda was just referring to Emma's overall track record of partners. :haha: 

41 minutes ago, Elliott said:

If they’re pre-taping the episode, it’ll be easier at least.

That's not a bad idea. But I don't know if they would pre-record the show.

1 hour ago, totes4totes said:

She did not. There are like 1000000 problems with Tiger King and that's one of the ones at the top of the list.

Ahh okay. I keep hearing different stories she did or that she didn't.... and it all confuses me so i never bothered to find out the truth. :lmao: But thank you!

2 minutes ago, *Wallace said:

Ahh okay. I keep hearing different stories she did or that she didn't.... and it all confuses me so i never bothered to find out the truth. :lmao: But thank you!

The makers of Tiger King irresponsibly spent an entire episode focused on the disappearance of Carole Baskin's husband Don Lewis with a heavy focus on the possibility that she murdered him. It's something that, like, an ethical documentarian would not have done. But even though the makers of Tiger King apparently started with the intention of making the Big Cat version of Blackfish (which is also what they told Carol to get her participation) they quickly realized that viral and entertainment possibilities of Joe Exotic. So instead of getting things like conservation and wildlife experts and biologists and activists who are working to combat the inhumane practice of exotic animal breeding, trading, etc in the United States they created a piece of propaganda for Joe Exotic. And because they chose him to be the protagonist, they had to paint his own personal antagonist Carole Baskins as the villain.

A lot of the things that Joe Exotic (again the protagonist of this film) accuses her of like "not paying her workers" are easily disproven since as a non-profit making more than $50K a year she needs to file public taxes every year to account where her money is from and where it goes. Additionally, it's like people have never heard of volunteers which many non-profits thrive off of.

The most that Carole Baskins is probably guilty of is maybe turning a blind eye to much of Don Lewis's shady activities.

But the fact is that the filmmakers did irreparable damage to her reputation and put her in more danger than she already lives with (as you can imagine, many exotic breeders and those like Joe Exotic who own/run roadside zoos do not like her nor are they the most stable people).

4 hours ago, *Amanda said:

Hopefully Emma is the one with Johnny. She deserves a ringer after the countless bad partners.

It shouldn’t come as a surprise that Kaitlyn is my favorite. I know some people aren’t thrilled about another Bachelorette, but Kaitlyn is great and she righteously called out Mike Fleiss and the double standards surrounding the male leads vs. female leads of the franchise being given this opportunity immediately after their season ends.

I agree with everything ❤️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elliott said:

F*ck JVDB’s drag right?

1 hour ago, *Wallace said:

:haha:

I'm sure she wasn't including James. But Emma has had more bad partners than good partners so I'm sure Amanda was just referring to Emma's overall track record of partners. :haha: 

Yeah, what Wally said. James (and Rashad) were great, but overall, her partners have been awful outside of those two obvious exceptions.

Emma deserves a ringer when her partner list includes Billy Dee Williams, Michael Waltrip, Redfoo, Rick Perry, and Johnny Damon. :haha: 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, *Amanda said:

It shouldn’t come as a surprise that Kaitlyn is my favorite. I know some people aren’t thrilled about another Bachelorette, but Kaitlyn is great and she righteously called out Mike Fleiss and the double standards surrounding the male leads vs. female leads of the franchise being given this opportunity immediately after their season ends.

To be fair, it isn’t another Bachelorette I mind considering the amount of terrible male bachelors they’ve had on that makes me nervous. I’m just worried after B*bby/Hannah’s wins that they’re just going to keep bringing on people from ABC’s properties and push them for cross-promotional purposes. (Not that I think they necessarily “pimped” Hannah, so-to-speak.)

• Like 1

I'm mostly excited to see what Artem can do with a ringer. Lea, Nikki and Nancy were all pretty good, but Kaitlyn really has potential... she was a dance instructor when she went on The Bachelor! :haha: Idk what style of dance she taught but I'm sure she'll do great. She's maybe one who I'm a little nervous about when it comes to fan support, but if Bachelor Nation gets behind her like they have proven to in the last couple of seasons that may not be a problem.

Looking at this cast, there's a lot of dance potential! I feel like we're in for a competitive season in terms of ability.

Edited by *Lily
  • Like 2

Hannah definitely benefitted from not only being the most popular Bachelorette ever, but also being able to win over the general audience.

I love Kaitlyn, but I’m not sure she’ll be able to do the same, as the general audience has tended to reject female ringers ever since Laurie’s win. :haha: 

• Like 1

I had a look at Bachelor Reddit to see what people thought her chances were like and a lot of the comments were about how she handles criticism. I didn't watch her seasons or listen to her podcast so idk much about this. But that seemed to be their main worry of hers with how she could do.

I think if BN likes her, they could help in getting behind her for a little while. I think they played a part in both Joe and Hannah, honestly. In the last three seasons especially I think we've seen winners who have all had their fair share of criticism from the main demo (the Facebook voters seemed to be moreso on Kel and James/Milo's side) but also had a strong group of fans who were riding hard for them. 

I'm not gonna do full predictions until the final days leading up to the premiere, but if I had to have a Day 1 pick... I'd be leaning towards AJ right now. Strong fanbase, good dancer, popular partner, storyline of overcoming addiction and now doing the show for his kids. Might change this leading up to the premiere but he stands out to me right now.

Edited by *Lily
  • Like 1

Ummmm???

I mean the first thing that comes to mind is judging but idk, I also can't see him judging :haha: I know he does World of Dance (which is another thing as is he not under contract with NBC?) but I'm sure he's said before that he couldn't see himself judging on this show. But hey maybe if the paycheck's good and there's not much going on at the moment. (Wait nevermind. Thought this was still airing but seems they just wrapped their recent season so I guess he's not there atm)

My only other thought was some sort of choreographer role in a Mandy Moore capacity but I would presume we won't really be getting big numbers this season due to the restrictions. I can't see him coming back for a celebrity partner.. so I'm lost on this one lol.

Edited by *Lily
  • Like 1

I mean, Kaitlyn was treated HORRIBLY by viewers during her season. Not sure how she was supposed to react to being viciously slut-shamed all season long for her decisions, particularly having sex before fantasy suites week, as that goes beyond normal criticism.

IDK what other criticism she’s received that they’re talking about, though?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, *Amanda said:

I mean, Kaitlyn was treated HORRIBLY by viewers during her season. Not sure how she was supposed to react to being viciously slut-shamed all season long for her decisions, particularly having sex before fantasy suites week, as that goes beyond normal criticism.

IDK what other criticism she’s received that they’re talking about, though?

IDK either 🤷‍♀️ Just going off what I've read. I think the Bachelor subreddit is pretty harsh anyway going by their treatment of Ally last season, just thought it was an interesting perspective since so many of the comments were about it, so I didn't know if it was a widely-known thing. Guess not though! I still like her so I'm not gonna hold her to that, obviously.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, *Amanda said:

Yeah, what Wally said. James (and Rashad) were great, but overall, her partners have been awful outside of those two obvious exceptions.

Emma deserves a ringer when her partner list includes Billy Dee Williams, Michael Waltrip, Redfoo, Rick Perry, and Johnny Damon. :haha: 

Exactly. :yes: 

The way I still forget about Rashad’s existence. 🥴

:/ 

Rashad is still my favorite Emma partner soo. 🙂 

To be fair, it isn’t another Bachelorette I mind considering the amount of terrible male bachelors they’ve had on that makes me nervous. I’m just worried after B*bby/Hannah’s wins that they’re just going to keep bringing on people from ABC’s properties and push them for cross-promotional purposes. (Not that I think they necessarily “pimped” Hannah, so-to-speak.)

They've always  been bringing  ABC related people to cross-promote them. That's never gonna stop. :dead: 

1 hour ago, *Lily said:

I'm mostly excited to see what Artem can do with a ringer. Lea, Nikki and Nancy were all pretty good, but Kaitlyn really has potential... she was a dance instructor when she went on The Bachelor! :haha: Idk what style of dance she taught but I'm sure she'll do great. She's maybe one who I'm a little nervous about when it comes to fan support, but if Bachelor Nation gets behind her like they have proven to in the last couple of seasons that may not be a problem.

Looking at this cast, there's a lot of dance potential! I feel like we're in for a competitive season in terms of ability.

Yeah I think Kaitlyn is arguably Artem's biggest ringer on the show so far. I would also consider Lea and Nancy ringers (but not so much Nikki. I don't think she's had a dance background?) He's done great work with his ringers on Strictly so I'm excited to see how he does with Kaitlyn. My main concern with Kaitlyn with her fan support is that she isn't really a fresh face coming off The Bachelor/ette so that initial hype and excitement isn't there for her like past Bachelor alums.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, *Amanda said:

Hannah definitely benefitted from not only being the most popular Bachelorette ever, but also being able to win over the general audience.

I love Kaitlyn, but I’m not sure she’ll be able to do the same, as the general audience has tended to reject female ringers ever since Laurie’s win. :haha: 

Yeah I think the fan support will be an uphill battle and struggle for Kaitlyn vs. it for Hannah. 

1 hour ago, *Lily said:

Today's GMA interviews all here!

I was just about to post these videos so thanks for beating me to it! :haha:  This was all so fun watching the cast like this (although i miss seeing them all together in person. :broken: )

1 hour ago, *Lily said:

Ummmm???

I mean the first thing that comes to mind is judging but idk, I also can't see him judging :haha: I know he does World of Dance (which is another thing as is he not under contract with NBC?) but I'm sure he's said before that he couldn't see himself judging on this show. But hey maybe if the paycheck's good and there's not much going on at the moment. (Wait nevermind. Thought this was still airing but seems they just wrapped their recent season so I guess he's not there atm)

My only other thought was some sort of choreographer role in a Mandy Moore capacity but I would presume we won't really be getting big numbers this season due to the restrictions. I can't see him coming back for a celebrity partner.. so I'm lost on this one lol.

Oooh wow I am confused on this too. :haha:  Yeah I was thinking of him as a judge. I enjoy him judging on WOD but not sure if he would be interested in judging on DWTS. Cause yeah he's always said he couldn't judge on the show. That's possible. I was wondering if he would be doing a guest performance but..... the show ain't got time for that on these early weeks. :dead: I don't see him coming back competing as the cast is already so large lmao.

• Like 1