DWTS Season 29 Discussion Thread

*Lily

Just now, totes4totes said:

~~~never forget nev schulman was expelled from college for punching a woman~~~

I only just found this out reading his Wiki! I saw it said he had dance experience so I was gonna say he’s maybe a ringer and then I got to that part...big yikes

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, *Lily said:

I only just found this out reading his Wiki! I saw it said he had dance experience so I was gonna say he’s maybe a ringer and then I got to that part...big yikes

I didn’t know about that either which sucks cause I really like him on catfish :(  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, *Lily said:

The final four names have been confirmed as well as the full line-up!

Justina Machado

Nev Schulman

Johnny Weir

Charles Oakley

All seem like strong bookings! Excited to see Justina, I haven’t seen One Day at a Time but know it’s super popular on Netflix. Nev is an interesting choice! I feel like Johnny has been overdue for this show :haha: Makes a lot of sense to see him here, can see him doing well. While I’m not too familiar with Charles/many of the NBA players on the show, he seems like a great choice!!

Yayy new names! 😄 

- I always liked Justina from the shows I've seen her on but never imagined her on the show. She should be fun!

- Nev is veryyy unexpected b ut cool. 

- I'm shocked it's taken Johnny this long to do the show. He should be good and a lot of fun. Although i'm kinda bummed he's not doing the show with Tara Lipinski and they won't that friendly competition between them. :haha:  Hoping she does the show in the future.

- Oooh Charles is an old school player. He's before my time so not tooo familiar with him. He's a good casting but him being a former NBA player, I don't have high hopes for him. :dead: 

3 hours ago, *Lily said:

Also confirmed by Kristyn Burtt: Justina has Sasha of course, Nev has Jenna. So that leaves Charles and Johnny with either Emma or Britt.

https://www.dancedishwithkb.com/post/confirmed-season-29-celebs-dancing-with-the-stars

Lol I'm glad they didn't go the super predictable route of pairing Johnny & Jenna. I think I want Britt to have Johnny so she can have someone with good potential on her first try. I don't have much hope for Charles but also.... wouldn't want Emma stuck with him (unless he shuts me up and becomes a surprise). :haha: 

3 hours ago, *Lily said:

Full cast, with most of the ‘confirmed’ pairs (I’m not sure why they are set on keeping these quiet again. :haha:)

Monica Aldama & Valentin Chmerkovskiy

Carole Baskin & Pasha Pashkov

Kaitlyn Bristowe & Artem Chigvintsev
Vernon Davis & Peta Murgatroyd

Anne Heche & Keo Motsepe

Skai Jackson & Alan Bersten

Justina Machado & Sasha Farber

Jeannie Mai & Brandon Armstrong

AJ McLean & Cheryl Burke

Jesse Metcalfe & Sharna Burgess
Nelly & Daniella Karagach

Charles Oakley & ???

Nev Schulman & Jenna Johnson

Chrishell Stause & Gleb Savchenko
Johnny Weir & ??? 

I’ve gotta say, overall I think this cast turned out to be pretty good! I haven’t got the chance to see any of the GMA segment yet, but on paper - early favourites are Skai, Chrishell and Jeannie. Excited for this season!

Crazy how we know so many partnerships already. I'm really liking these pairings though!

3 hours ago, Ariel1989 said:

Oh please don't give the jazz ballroom pro a figure skater her first season.  

3 hours ago, DWTSFan2001 said:

Hoping and praying for Charles/Britt and Johnny/Emma. What height is Britt? I'm with @Ariel1989 - if they give her a ringer on her first go despite not being a ballroom/latin dancer, I'll none too pleased. She's lucky to be a pro at all.

Cool cast though, right? Johnny about 10 years too late but still excited to see him.

My guesses for the final 4 would be AJ, Kaitlyn, Johnny and either Vernon or Jesse depending on their dance ability. I think that Monica and Skai may struggle with the votes.

Ooops. *hides my previous post of wanting Johnny & Britt 🙈*

3 hours ago, *Lily said:

mgid:ao:image:mtv.com:202198?quality=0.8

LMAO We saw that casting coming a mile away. :dead: 

2 hours ago, Alex95 said:

When Britt makes final three and y'all are fuming >>>>>>>>>>>

:dead::wub: 

1 hour ago, DWTSFan2001 said:

Don't know why Peta didn't get Charles. Not sure on Britt's height but he's too tall for Emma - 4 inches taller than Drew who towered over her.

This has happened with plenty of partnerships over the years. :lmao: 

1 hour ago, Ariel1989 said:

I guess they didn't want to give Peta two NBA players in a row.  

It says here Britt is 5' 7", two inches taller than Emma.  . Who knows if it's accurate though.  

Ooh if that's true then it seems likely of Charles/Britt. But I wouldn't be surprised either way. Giving Peta two NBA players in a row would be harsh.

1 hour ago, totes4totes said:

ugh of course jenna gets Nev who I hate!

omggg what did Nev do to get such hate? :dead: 

1 hour ago, *Lily said:

We’ve seen some mismatched height pairings before, so I’m also guessing this was down to not wanting to give Peta two basketball players back to back.

My guess right now would be Charles getting Britt. I can see her maybe getting a more challenging partner for her first season. Saying that, I feel like I could see her personality meshing best with Johnny. So idk what to expect here. :haha:

This all makes sense. I can see them giving Britt a challenge and sadly therefore their partnership won't last as she doesn't have a strong fanbase as others. I'm fine with whatever happens i guess haha.

1 hour ago, totes4totes said:

~~~never forget nev schulman was expelled from college for punching a woman~~~

Oooh eeek... I guess I know the reason from my above post. I didn't know about this. 

38 minutes ago, *Chris said:

I didn’t know about that either which sucks cause I really like him on catfish :(  

Same.

The male side seems stacked with contenders - they have a Backstreet Boy, Olympic figure skater, NFL player and a hunk actor plus Nev allegedly has dance experience as well. Even Nelly may have some moves and as a rapper, no doubt will have rhythm (unless he is the reincarnate of Master P). Only Charles looks to be a no-hoper among the men although I can't see Nev or Nelly going that far with their controversies.

Kaitlyn & maybe Monica are the ringers on the female side. Carole & Jeannie strike me as duffers (we'll see how they do in the public vote) while the likes of Anne & Justina could go either way. Skai might be good but the doxxing will definitely go against her in the public vote and she comes from Disney which doesn't help with the DWTS demographic. Chrishell could have been decent but she has Gleb so I see a repeat of the Sasha Pieterse partnership here.

My guess is that a male celeb will win. Maybe this will be lucky 3rd trophy for Cheryl - she definitely has a huge chance at winning with a partner like AJ.

Edited by DWTSFan2001
  • Like 1

Hopefully Emma is the one with Johnny. She deserves a ringer after the countless bad partners.

It shouldn’t come as a surprise that Kaitlyn is my favorite. I know some people aren’t thrilled about another Bachelorette, but Kaitlyn is great and she righteously called out Mike Fleiss and the double standards surrounding the male leads vs. female leads of the franchise being given this opportunity immediately after their season ends.

• Like 3

I like the lineup overall 🤷‍♀️ I think all things considered they did a pretty good job casting this year. The star quality IMO is actually pretty good in comparison to recent years and I think they chose a good variety of figures who will be popular with different demos. We know by now that DWTS are absolutely casting for the headlines, they always have done, hence why I’m not at all surprised at people like Carol etc. in the cast - all publicity is good publicity especially at this point for the show. :haha:

I was a little nervous about the calibre of such a big cast, since the last time they did such a big group (and arguably when the show was still moreso in its peak), they pulled together a ROUGH line-up. I think everyone in this line-up seems like a solid pick and honestly there’s not anyone who I feel like was just called in at the eleventh hour!

My one fear is that they will not do a good job at showcasing the personalities of this cast as well as they could do. I’m getting a very Tyra-centric vibe from the season, which is good but I don’t want that to be the core focus. I think a lot of people are coming in with interesting personalities and storylines and I would just really hope they showcase these as much as they could...Strictly I think does a pretty good job at casting a big group of celebrities but not making anyone feel like an after-thought.

• Like 1

I will say, I am happy that there are 15 celebs so none of the pros will be sidelined and relegated to the bumpers like in seasons past.

That being said, I’m curious how a show that already has a hard time cramming everything into 2 hours will handle 15 couples. :haha: 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

Carole Baskin is at the top of all the headlines, she's gonna be around for a long time I fear. My hot take on Tiger King is that everyone involved is trash.

I mean, she fed her husband to a tiger.  

29 minutes ago, *Amanda said:

I will say, I am happy that there are 15 celebs so none of the pros will be sidelined and relegated to the bumpers like in seasons past.

That being said, I’m curious how a show that already has a hard time cramming everything into 2 hours will handle 15 couples. :haha: 

Yess I'm so happy about this for the Pros too. :wub: I was still getting concerned there would only be 13 celebs with 2 pros having to be sidelined.

Omggg I was wondering about this too. :dead:  I really wish they would either make it a 3-hour premiere or a two episode premiere. I just can't see how they can fit 15 couples in 2 hours time. :lmao: 

12 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

Carole Baskin is at the top of all the headlines, she's gonna be around for a long time I fear. My hot take on Tiger King is that everyone involved is trash.

Ugh I fear this too. I definitely see her as the worst female celeb dancer but see her as an overstayer. Although I thought you would have ironically stanned her. So oops I was wrong there. 🙈

6 minutes ago, Solaris said:

I mean, she fed her husband to a tiger.  

Did she? I heard of some stuff but i don't know what her drama is and what she's exactly done

3 hours ago, DWTSFan2001 said:

That's what you get if you're the tallest pro though. If they weren't willing to give Peta two NBA guys in a row, they shouldn't have cast one as tall as Charles.

I never expected him to be good but the height difference officially rules out any chance he has of doing well.

Not sure how credible that source is TBH.

Just looked up Johnny’s height and he’s 5’ 9”.  If all those heights are accurate, then he has to have Emma.  

52 minutes ago, *Lily said:

I like the lineup overall 🤷‍♀️ I think all things considered they did a pretty good job casting this year. The star quality IMO is actually pretty good in comparison to recent years and I think they chose a good variety of figures who will be popular with different demos. We know by now that DWTS are absolutely casting for the headlines, they always have done, hence why I’m not at all surprised at people like Carol etc. in the cast - all publicity is good publicity especially at this point for the show. :haha:

I was a little nervous about the calibre of such a big cast, since the last time they did such a big group (and arguably when the show was still moreso in its peak), they pulled together a ROUGH line-up. I think everyone in this line-up seems like a solid pick and honestly there’s not anyone who I feel like was just called in at the eleventh hour!

My one fear is that they will not do a good job at showcasing the personalities of this cast as well as they could do. I’m getting a very Tyra-centric vibe from the season, which is good but I don’t want that to be the core focus. I think a lot of people are coming in with interesting personalities and storylines and I would just really hope they showcase these as much as they could...Strictly I think does a pretty good job at casting a big group of celebrities but not making anyone feel like an after-thought.

I agree with a lot of what you said here! It's a good and diverse cast. I also fear and hope it's not tooo Tyra centric/focused as well. I love Tyra but I want them to showcase the 15 celebs an couples well. I just hope DWTS can cram 15 couples in well and not be so rushed in just 2 hours. :haha: 

I do like the cast. There might not be those kind of celebs I’m like ~OMGAW~ excited for and have been wanting to do the show for years types but there’s a lot I do like. I don't even know who my pre-season fave is either haha. I would say the ones I’m most looking forward to are: AJ, Chrishell, Jeanine, Jesse, Johnny, Justina, Kaitlyn, Nelly & Skai. Then others and well everyone I am willing to give them a chance on what they can do.