Actors & Actresses Rankdowns 2.0 (Winner Posted)

Steven_

17 minutes ago, totes4totes said:

the f*ck you all doing including like lemony snicket and not the deer hunter. smh.

16 minutes ago, totes4totes said:

the f*ck you all doing not including little women and big little lies. like you all thought meryl streep died in 2010.

This was literally all Elliott.

15. ROBERTA - MUSIC OF THE HEART (1999)

From Wikipedia: "The film is a dramatization of the true story of Roberta Guaspari, portrayed by Meryl Streep, who co-founded the Opus 118 Harlem School of Music and fought for music education funding in New York City public schools. The film also stars Aidan Quinn, Gloria Estefan (in her film debut), and Angela Bassett. It was director Wes Craven's first non-horror film, and also his only film to receive Oscar nominations." Streep was nominated for Best Actress at the Academy Awards for this performance.

ALEX: 8 - This cast >>>>>>>>>>. Honestly this movie had no business actually being lowkey great.

SOLA: 11

ELLIOTT: 12 - I wasn't familiar with this film, so I randomized its ranking.

DEE: 13 - Streep is fantastic here, but like...the film is not that great.

CHRIS: 15

DEREK: 15

14. JULIA  - DEFENDING YOUR LIFE (1991)

From Wikipedia: "Defending Your Life is a 1991 American romantic comedy-fantasy film about a man who dies and arrives in the afterlife only to find that he must stand trial and justify his lifelong fears in order to advance to the next phase of existence or be sent back to Earth to do it again. Despite its comedic overtones, Defending Your Life contains elements of drama and allegory."

ALEX: 9 - Pleasantly surprised to see this make the end. It's a really underrated movie and I love Streep in it.

DEE: 11 - One of the few pieces of work on this list that did not earn her significant critical praise. I am only ranking it this high because the film is very good and I am trying to separate it from the films that are only good for Streep's presence.

DEREK: 13

ELLIOTT: 13 - I wasn't familiar with this film, so I randomized its ranking.

SOLA: 13

CHRIS: 14

13. KAREN SILKWOOD - SILKWOOD (1983)

From Wikipedia: "The screenplay by Nora Ephron and Alice Arlen was inspired by the life of Karen Silkwood. Silkwood was a nuclear whistleblower and a labor union activist who died in a car collision while investigating alleged wrongdoing at the Kerr-McGee plutonium plant where she worked. In real life, her death gave rise to a 1979 lawsuit, Silkwood v. Kerr-McGee, led by attorney Gerry Spence. The jury rendered its verdict of $10 million in damages to be paid to the Silkwood estate (her children), the largest amount in damages ever awarded for that kind of case at the time. The Silkwood estate eventually settled for $1.3 million." Streep was nominated for Best Actress at the Academy Awards for this performance.

SOLA: 8

DEE: 9 - Great film on a very important unionist!

CHRIS: 11
DEREK: 11

ALEX: 14 - Haven't seen it. Maybe one day I'll watch it.

ELLIOTT: 14 - I wasn't familiar with this film, so I randomized its ranking.

12. FRANCESCA JOHNSON - THE BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY (1995)

From Wikipedia: "The film is about an Italian war bride, Francesca Johnson (Meryl Streep), who lives with her husband and two children on their Iowa farm. In 1965, she meets National Geographic photojournalist, Robert Kincaid (Eastwood) who arrives in Madison County to photograph its historic covered bridges. They have a four-day love affair that forever changes them." Streep was nominated for Best Actress at the Academy Awards for this performance.

CHRIS: 1
SOLA: 10

DEE: 12 - Streep is wonderful here, but like...the film is not that great.
ALEX: 13 - Can't say I'm particularly interested in watching Meryl fall in love with Clint Eastwood.

DEREK: 14

ELLIOTT: 15 - I wasn't familiar with this film, so I randomized its ranking.

11. AUNT JOSEPHINE - LEMONY SNICKET'S A SERIES OF UNFORTUNATE EVENTS (2004)

From Wikipedia: "Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events (also simply known as A Series of Unfortunate Events) is a 2004 American gothic black comedy film. It is a film adaptation of A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket, covering the first three novels: The Bad Beginning (1999), The Reptile Room (1999), and The Wide Window (2000)." Streep plays Josephine Anwhistle, an OCD-stricken grammar stickler and the Baudelaires' aunt and temporary guardian.

ELLIOTT: 4 - Don't @ me. I loved the books and really enjoyed this movie. She was great in it as well.

SOLA: 7
DEREK: 10

CHRIS: 13

ALEX: 15 - I mean I guess it's cute that it's here, we needed a 15th place :giggle:

DEE: 15 - WTF Elliott. An actual disgrace.

10. CLARISSA VAUGHAN - THE HOURS (2002)

From Wikipedia: "The plot focuses on three women of different generations whose lives are interconnected by the 1925 novel Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf. These are Clarissa Vaughan (Streep), a New Yorker preparing an award party for her AIDS-stricken long-time friend and poet, Richard (Harris) in 2001, Laura Brown (Moore), a pregnant 1950s California housewife in an unhappy marriage with a young son, and Virginia Woolf (Kidman) herself in 1920s England, who is struggling with depression and mental illness while trying to write her novel."

DEE: 2 - Kidman won for the nose, but Streep and Moore deliver incredible performances tbh.
DEREK: 9

ALEX: 10 - I watched it on a plane once and don't remember it that well lol. I remember Julianne Moore the most out of the movie I think. Streep was great I'm sure!

CHRIS: 10

ELLIOTT: 11

SOLA: 12

9. JULIA CHILD  - JULIE & JULIA (2009)

From Wikipedia: "The film contrasts the life of chef Julia Child in the early years of her culinary career with the life of young New Yorker Julie Powell, who aspires to cook all 524 recipes in Child's cookbook in 365 days, a challenge she described on her popular blog that made her a published author." Streep was nominated for Best Actress at the Academy Awards and won the Golden Globe for Best Actress in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy for this role.

SOLA: 4
DEREK: 7

CHRIS: 8

ELLIOTT: 9

ALEX: 12 - I almost cut this actually. It's good and all, but tbh I was more invested in Amy Adams and Chris Messina then Streep's storyline.

DEE: 14 - Streep is great here, but like...the film is not that great.

8. HANNAH PITT / ETHEL ROSENBERG / THE RABBI / THE ANGEL AUSTRALIA - ANGELS IN AMERICA (2003)

From Wikipedia: "Set in 1985, the film revolves around six New Yorkers whose lives intersect. At its core, it is the fantastical story of Prior Walter, a gay man living with AIDS who is visited by an angel. The film explores a wide variety of themes, including Reagan era politics, the spreading AIDS epidemic, and a rapidly changing social and political climate." Streep won the Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Limited Series or Television Movie, the SAG Award for Best Actress in a Miniseries or Television Movie, and the Golden Globe for Best Actress – Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television for this performance.

ALEX: 3 - One of the greatest miniseries ever. If you have HBO and haven't watched it what are you doing with your life watch it now!

DEREK: 6

ELLIOTT: 7 - Flawless!

DEE: 8 - Such a fantastic miniseries. Streep is the strongest in a group of phenomenal performances.

CHRIS: 9

SOLA: 15

7. SUSAN ORLEAN - ADAPTATION. (2002)

From Wikipedia: "It is based both on Orlean's 1998 nonfiction book The Orchid Thief and Kaufman's experience attempting to adapt the book into a screenplay while suffering from writer's block. Adaptation also adds a number of fictitious elements, including Kaufman's twin brother (also credited as a writer for the film) and a romance between Orlean and Laroche, and culminates in completely invented events including fictional versions of Orlean and Laroche three years after the events related in The Orchid Thief." Streep was nominated for Best Supporting Actress at the Academy Awards and won the Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actress – Motion Picture for this performance. 

DEE: 1 - One of my favorite films of all-time.
ALEX: 4 - One of my fave movies! Streep is at her best, as always.

ELLIOTT: 6 - I loved this movie when I first saw it. I haven't seen it in a while, but I'm still ranking it here.

DEREK: 8

CHRIS: 12
SOLA: 14

6. MADELINE ASHTON - DEATH BECOMES HER (1992)

From Wikipedia: "Death Becomes Her is a 1992 American black comedy film directed by Robert Zemeckis, written by David Koepp and Martin Donovan, and starring Meryl Streep, Bruce Willis, and Goldie Hawn. The film focuses on a pair of rivals (Streep and Hawn), who drink a magic potion that promises eternal youth, but experience unpleasant side effects when they physically die, becoming walking, talking corpses as a result." Streep was nominated for Best Actress – Motion Picture Musical or Comedy at the Golden Globes for this performance.

ELLIOTT: 3 - Obviously. I'm gay. And it gave us the only good thing Violet Chachki gave us in S7.
DEREK: 5

ALEX: 6 - Happy Halloween to this campy mess ONLY!
CHRIS: 6
SOLA: 9

DEE: 10 - An iconic film in queer culture and a film that has certainly established itself as a cult classic. The film is a ton of fun, but not necessarily the best on this list. Though her performances as Madeline Ashton is fantastic.

Edited by Steven_

5. DONNA SHERIDAN - MAMMA MIA! (2008)

From Wikipedia: "Mamma Mia! (promoted as Mamma Mia! The Movie) is a 2008 jukebox musical film directed by Phyllida Lloyd and written by Catherine Johnson based on the 1999 musical. It is based on the songs of pop group ABBA, with additional music composed by ABBA member Benny Andersson. The film features an ensemble cast, including Christine Baranski, Pierce Brosnan, Dominic Cooper, Colin Firth, Amanda Seyfried, Stellan Skarsgård, Meryl Streep and Julie Walters. The plot follows a young bride-to-be who invites three men to her upcoming wedding, each one with the possibility of being her father." Streep received a Golden Globe nomination for Best Actress – Motion Picture Comedy or Musical for this performance.

ELLIOTT: 2 - Obviously. I'm gay.

SOLA: 2

CHRIS: 3

DEE: 6 - Donna Sheridan is the best. End of story.
ALEX: 11 - I saw one high school production of Mamma Mia! and that's the extent of my relationship with the movie.

DEREK: 12

4. JOANNA KRAMER  - KRAMER VS. KRAMER (1979)

From Wikipedia: "Kramer vs. Kramer is a 1979 American legal drama film written and directed by Robert Benton, based on Avery Corman's 1977 novel of the same name. The film stars Dustin Hoffman, Meryl Streep, Jane Alexander, and Justin Henry. It tells the story of a couple's divorce, its impact on their young son, and the subsequent evolution of their relationship and views on parenting. The film explores the psychology and fallout of divorce and touches upon prevailing or emerging social issues such as gender roles, women's rights, fathers' rights, work-life balance, and single parents." Streep won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for this role.

ALEX: 2 - #TeamMeryl always. Give her the kid! (Even though she made some #choices throughout the movie :giggle:).

DEREK: 4

DEE: 5 - Iconic film! Joanna Kramer is such a layered role. I want to give this the edge over Sophie's Choice, but I also understand the magnitude of her performance in that film.

SOLA: 6

CHRIS: 7

ELLIOTT: 8

3. SISTER ALOYSIUS BEAUVIER - DOUBT (2008)

From Wikipedia: "The film takes place in a Roman Catholic elementary school named for St. Nicholas led by Sister Aloysius (Meryl Streep). Sister James (Amy Adams) tells Aloysius that Father Flynn (Philip Seymour Hoffman) might be paying too much attention to the school's only black student Donald Miller (Joseph Foster), thus leading to Aloysius investigating Flynn's behaviour. The film also features Viola Davis as Donald Miller's mother, Mrs. Miller." Streep was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actress and the Golden Globe for Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture – Drama for this role.

DEREK: 2

SOLA: 3

CHRIS: 4

ALEX: 5 - When we do Amy Adams and Philip Seymour Hoffman rounds just so this movie could always be in the endgame :wub: :wub: :wub:

DEE: 7 - Her performance is, once again, incredible. But the film belongs to Viola.

ELLIOTT: 10

2. SOPHIE ZAWISTOWSKI - SOPHIE'S CHOICE (1982)

From Wikipedia: "Sophie's Choice is a 1982 American drama film directed and written by Alan J. Pakula, adapted from William Styron's 1979 novel of the same name. The film stars Meryl Streep as Zofia "Sophie" Zawistowski, a Polish immigrant with a dark secret from her past who shares a boarding house in Brooklyn with her tempestuous lover, Nathan and a young writer Stingo." Roger Ebert called it "a fine, absorbing, wonderfully acted, heartbreaking movie. It is about three people who are faced with a series of choices, some frivolous, some tragic. As they flounder in the bewilderment of being human in an age of madness, they become our friends, and we love them." Streep won the Academy Award for Best Actress for this performance. 

DEREK: 1

DEE: 4 - One of the finest acting performances of all-time? Yes. But the movie bores me to tears tbh.

CHRIS: 5

ELLIOTT: 5

SOLA: 5
ALEX: 7 - I've never seen it actually 🙈 but obviously I know she slays. I watched the clip of her making her choice on youtube and it's absolutely heartbreaking.

1. MIRANDA PRIESTLY - THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA (2006)

From Wikipedia: "The film adaptation stars Meryl Streep as Miranda Priestly, a powerful fashion magazine editor, and Anne Hathaway as Andrea "Andy" Sachs, a college graduate who goes to New York City and lands a job as Priestly's co-assistant. Emily Blunt and Stanley Tucci co-star as co-assistant Emily Charlton and art director Nigel Kipling, respectively. Adrian Grenier, Simon Baker, and Tracie Thoms play key supporting roles. The film received positive reviews from critics, with Streep's performance being singled out for acclaim. This earned her many award nominations, including an Oscar nomination for Best Actress, as well as a Golden Globe [win] for Best Actress in a Comedy or Musical. Initial reviews of the film focused primarily on Streep's performance, praising her for making an extremely unsympathetic character far more complex than she had been in the novel. Hathaway and Blunt also drew favorable reviews and nominations for their performances. The film grossed over $300 million worldwide, against its $41 million budget, and was the 12th highest-grossing film worldwide in 2006."

ALEX: 1 - Just like giving Regina George the win for Rachel McAdams, Miranda Priestly is one of the most iconic villains in cinematic history. She is a gay icon and I love her (though sadly I don't think this will win like Regina George).

ELLIOTT: 1 - Obviously. I'm gay.

SOLA: 1

CHRIS: 2

DEE: 3 - Priestly is godly.

DEREK: 3

Edited by Steven_

9 minutes ago, Steven_ said:

Last call to sign up. Otherwise this round will only have four rankers even though I said each round needs at least five rankers.

I’ll sign up but fair warning I’m not super familiar with her filmography.

ROUND 17:

MEGAN MULLALLY FILMOGRAPHY

megan-mullaly-smile.gif

FILM ROLES

Last Resort (1986)

About Last Night... (1986)

Everything Put Together (2000)

Monkeybone (2001)

Speaking of Sex (2001)

Stealing Harvard (2002)

Teacher's Pet (2004)

Rebound (2005)

Bee Movie (2007)

Fame (2009)

Smashed (2012)

The Kings of Summer (2013)

G.B.F. (2013)

Apartment Troubles (2014)

Ernest & Celestine (2014)

Date and Switch (2014)

Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (2014)

Hotel Transylvania 2 (2015)

Why Him? (2016)

Lemon (2017)

Infinity Baby (2017)

The Disaster Artist (2017)

Oh Lucy! (2017)

Where'd You Go, Bernadette (2019) 

TV ROLES

The Ellen Burstyn Show (1986)

My Life and Times (1991)

Fish Police (1992)

Rachel Gunn, R.N. (1992)

Will & Grace (1998)

30 Rock (2008)

Children's Hospital (2008)

In The Motherhood (2009)

Parks and Recreation (2009)

Party Down (2010)

Bob's Burgers (2011)

Happy Endings (2011)

Breaking In (2012)

Randy Cunningham: 9th Grade Ninja (2012)

Out There (2013)

Web Therapy (2013)

Axe Cop (2013)

Sofia the First (2013)

You, Me, and the Apocalypse (2015)

———————————————————————

It's time for Round 17!

@Solaris @*Chris @FrogLenzen @Elliott @#jeah

First, all rankers must choose one role to advance straight to the Top 15.

• Steven_ changed the title to Actors & Actresses Rankdowns 2.0 (Round 17: Megan Mullally)