Actors & Actresses Rankdowns 2.0 (Winner Posted)

Steven_

15. JEANINE MATTHEWS - DIVERGENT (2014)

From Wikipedia: "The story takes place in a dystopian and post-apocalyptic Chicago where people are divided into distinct factions based on human virtues. Beatrice Prior is warned that she is Divergent and thus will never fit into any one of the factions. She soon learns that a sinister plot is brewing in the seemingly perfect society." Kate Winslet plays Jeanine Matthews, the leader of Erudite and the main antagonist of the film. Talking about playing the negative character for the first time, Winslet said, "I'm no idiot. The idea went through my head that I have never played a baddie before, I was almost kind of surprised."

JC: 2

DEE: 14 - No thank you.

CHRIS: 15 - Meh.
DEREK: 15

ELLIOTT: 15

VICTORIA: 15

14. IRIS - THE HOLIDAY (2006)

From Wikipedia: The Holiday "stars Kate Winslet and Cameron Diaz as Iris and Amanda, two lovelorn women from opposite sides of the Atlantic Ocean, who arrange a home exchange to escape heartbreak during the Christmas and holiday season. Iris is a society columnist, writing for The Daily Telegraph. Winslet was hand-picked by Meyers, who wrote all of Iris's lines with Winslet in mind. Winslet, then primarily known for her portrayals in period films, 'loved the idea' of playing a contemporary English woman in a romantic comedy, a genre she had not done before. Since its release, The Holiday has been labeled as a modern Christmas classic."

CHRIS: 4 - Not the best movie but a huge guilty pleasure of mine.

JC: 9
ELLIOTT: 12
DEE: 13 - A movie that appears bad on the surface, but is not that bad? A good Christmas film!

VICTORIA: 13
DEREK: 14

13. MYRTLE "TILLY" DUNNAGE - THE DRESSMAKER (2015)

From Wikipedia: "It stars Kate Winslet as a femme fatale in the title role of the dressmaker, Myrtle "Tilly" Dunnage, who returns to a small Australian town to take care of her ailing, mentally unstable mother. The film explores the themes of revenge and creativity and was described by Moorhouse as 'Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven with a sewing machine.' Despite receiving mixed critical reviews, with praise going towards Winslet's performance and criticism focusing on its uneven tone, The Dressmaker led the 5th AACTA Awards with thirteen nominations."

JC: 4

VICTORIA: 8
DEREK: 9

DEE: 12 - Fantastic performance, but not a good movie.

CHRIS: 14 - Nothing special.

ELLIOTT: 14

12. JULIET HULME - HEAVENLY CREATURES (1994)

From Wikipedia: "Based on the notorious 1954 Parker–Hulme murder case in Christchurch, New Zealand, the film focuses on the relationship between two teenage girls—Pauline Parker and Juliet Hulme—which culminates in the murder of Parker's mother. The events of the film span the period from their meeting in 1952 to the murder in 1954. Reviewers praised most aspects of the production, with particular attention given to the performances by the previously unknown Winslet and Lynskey, as well as for Jackson's directing."

ELLIOTT: 2
DEE: 5 - Her debut role is a fantastic and underrated one! A very lesbian psychological thriller? Always a fantastic time!

JC: 11

CHRIS: 12 - One of the few movie of hers that I've never seen.
DEREK: 12

VICTORIA: 12

11. HANNA SCHMITZ - THE READER (2008)

From Wikipedia: "The film tells the story of Michael Berg, a German lawyer who, as a 15-year-old in 1958, has an affair with an older woman, Hanna Schmitz. She disappears only to resurface years later as one of the defendants in a war crimes trial stemming from her actions as a guard at a Nazi concentration camp. Michael realizes that Hanna is keeping a personal secret she believes is worse than her Nazi past – a secret which, if revealed, could help her at the trial. Although it received mixed reviews, Winslet and Kross, who plays the young Michael, received acclaim for their performances; Winslet won a number of awards for her role, including the Academy Award for Best Actress. The film itself was nominated for several other major awards, including the Academy Award for Best Picture."

DEREK: 1

VICTORIA: 6
CHRIS: 7 - A lot of people prefer her performance in Revolutionary Road to this one, but I think this is the superior performance in that year. Still don't believe this is her best performance, although a very passionate performance. It is a shame that she essentially received a pitty Oscar for this role.

JC: 12

ELLIOTT: 13

DEE: 15 - Why was she finally awarded the Academy Award for this terrible film? A film that tries to romanticize a sexually abusive and predatory relationship? UGH.

10. SYLVIA LLEWELYN DAVIES - FINDING NEVERLAND (2004)

From Wikipedia: "The story focuses on Scottish writer J. M. Barrie, his platonic relationship with Sylvia Llewelyn Davies, and his close friendship with her sons named George, Jack, Peter and Michael, who inspire the classic play Peter Pan, or The Boy Who Never Grew Up." According to a review in the San Francisco Chronicle, "Another actress would have followed Depp into the quicksand of faux-poetic self-indulgence. But Winslet is direct, grounded and heartfelt in a recognizably human way." And according to a review in the Los Angeles Times, "Depp and Winslet share a rare combination of airiness, earthiness and sharp, wry intelligence."

ELLIOTT: 7

JC: 7

VICTORIA: 7

CHRIS: 9 - Another guilty pleasure of mine where she does a great job in the role of Sylvia - the movie was later adapted into a broadway musical which is excellent.
DEE: 10 - Never fully understood the massive love for this movie, but it's admittedly good. One of her more boring roles tbh.
DEREK: 11

9. MARIANNE DASHWOOD - SENSE AND SENSIBILITY (1995)

From Wikipedia: "The story follows the Dashwood sisters, members of a wealthy English family of landed gentry, as they must deal with circumstances of sudden destitution. They are forced to seek financial security through marriage." Marianne is the younger daughter who "embraces spontaneity, excessive sensibility, love of nature, and romantic idealism." According to a review in the Irish Times, "Emma Thompson invests the character with a touching vulnerability, while Kate Winslet, who made such an eye catching debut in Heavenly Creatures last year, perfectly catches the confusions within the idealistically romantic but betrayed Marianne." Kate Winslet was nominated for Best Supporting Actress at the Academy Awards for this role.

DEE: 4 - Emma Thompson is THAT b*tch. Period. Jane Austen novels drive me nuts, but this adaptation is so good. Kate Winslet started out her career so strongly.

ELLIOTT: 4

CHRIS: 8 - The role that gave her first nomination at the Academy - a star is the making.
DEREK: 8

VICTORIA: 10

JC: 14

8. MILDRED PIERCE - MILDRED PIERCE (2011)

From Wikipedia: "Mildred Pierce depicts an overprotective, self-sacrificing mother during the Great Depression who finds herself separated from her husband, opening a restaurant of her own and falling in love with a man, all the while trying to earn her spoiled, narcissistic elder daughter's love and respectNovelist Stephen King, reviewing Mildred Pierce for The Daily Beast and Newsweek, praised the acting of Winslet, Pearce and Wood, and admired the show's attention to detail and structure." Kate Winslet won the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Miniseries or Movie, the Golden Globe for Best Actress – Miniseries or Television Film, and Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Miniseries or Television Movie at the SAG Awards for this role.

CHRIS: 5 - Excellent performance in this movie made for this miniseries.

JC: 5
DEREK: 7

DEE: 8 - Amazing performance from Kate, but again, slightly on the more boring side.

ELLIOTT: 8

VICTORIA: 14

7. APRIL WHEELER - REVOLUTIONARY ROAD (2008)

From IMDB: "A young couple living in a Connecticut suburb during the mid-1950s struggle to come to terms with their personal problems while trying to raise their two children. Frank and April Wheeler are in the 'seven year itch' of their marriage; they're not happy. April has forgone her dream of being an actress, and Frank hates his job. One day, April suggests they move to Paris as a means to rejuvenate their life." According to Rotten Tomatoes, "Brilliantly acted and emotionally powerful, Revolutionary Road is a handsome adaptation of Richard Yates' celebrated novel." A review in Rolling Stone notes "the glorious Winslet defines what makes an actress great, blazing commitment to a character and the range to make every nuance felt." Kate Winslet won the Golden Globe for Best Actress – Motion Picture Drama for this role. And due to Academy rules, an actor or actress may receive only one nomination per category, and due to the difference in rules between the Golden Globes and Academy Awards, Kate Winslet's role in The Reader was considered a leading one by the Academy, while the Golden Globe regarded it a supporting role. So, as Winslet's performance in The Reader had been nominated for Best Actress in 2008 by the Academy, her performance in Revolutionary Road couldn't be nominated.

VICTORIA: 2
DEREK: 3

ELLIOTT: 5

DEE: 9 - Boring as hell. Kate Winslet is such an incredible actor. Most of her movies are very good just based on the strength of her acting alone, but this does not save them from being incredibly boring. LOL.
CHRIS: 13 - The reunion of Leonardo & Kate. The movie was a bit too boring for me, tbqh.

JC: 15

6. SARAH PIERCE - LITTLE CHILDREN (2006)

Plot summary: "Sarah (Kate Winslet) is a well-educated woman who cannot come to terms with her life as a housewife and mother. Brad (Patrick Wilson), a stay-at-home dad, is married to a beautiful filmmaker (Jennifer Connelly) and goes skateboarding instead of studying for the bar exam. The pair meet at a playground and soon begin having secret trysts while their children nap and their spouses are at work." According to Rotten Tomatoes, "Little Children takes a penetrating look at suburbia and its flawed individuals with an unflinching yet humane eye." Kate Winslet was nominated for Best Actress at the Academy Awards for this role.

CHRIS: 2 - In my opinion, it shows why she is consider one of the most versatile actress. This was peak Kate Winslet.
DEE: 3 - Of course I love this extremely dark drama. One of her meatier and more interesting roles!
DEREK: 5

ELLIOTT: 11

VICTORIA: 11

JC: 13

5. DR. ERIN MEARS - CONTAGION (2011)

From Wikipedia: "The plot concerns the spread of a virus transmitted by respiratory droplets and fomites, attempts by medical researchers and public health officials to identify and contain the disease, the loss of social order in a pandemic, and the introduction of a vaccine to halt its spread. To follow several interacting plot lines, the film makes use of the multi-narrative 'hyperlink cinema' style, popularized in several of Soderbergh's films." Kate Winslet plays Dr. Erin Mears, an Epidemic Intelligence Service officer. Kate Winslet traveled to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, where she met with many of the employees to research her character. According to Rotten Tomatoes, "Tense, tightly plotted, and bolstered by a stellar cast, Contagion is an exceptionally smart – and scary – disaster movie."

DEE: 2 - A scientifically accurate, well-acted film about pandemics? My public health, epidemiologist heart is very fulfilled by this movie.

VICTORIA: 5

JC: 6

ELLIOTT: 9

CHRIS: 10 - Great cast, great acting but a movie that I never cared for.
DEREK: 13

4. YOUNG IRIS MURDOCH - IRIS (2001)

From Wikipedia: "Iris is a 2001 biographical drama film about novelist Iris Murdoch and her relationship with her husband John Bayley. The film contrasts the start of their relationship, when Murdoch was an outgoing, dominant individual compared to the timid and scholarly Bayley, and their later life, when Murdoch was suffering from Alzheimer's disease and tended to by a frustrated Bayley in their North Oxford home in Charlbury Road." According to Rotten Tomatoes, "A solidly constructed drama, Iris is greatly elevated by the strength of its four lead performances." Kate Winslet was nominated for Best Actress in a Supporting Role at the Academy Awards for this role.

CHRIS: 3 - Brilliant performance by Kate Winslet in the role of Iris Murdoch.
DEE: 6 - Winslet is very good in this film. As per usual. A good film, but definitely not super entertaining. Jim Broadbent stole the show. Why is this placing so high on my list? I am not changing anything around. LOL.
DEREK: 6

VICTORIA: 9

ELLIOTT: 10

JC: 10

3. JOANNA HOFFMAN - STEVE JOBS (2015)

From Wikipedia: "The film covers 14 years (1984–1998) in the life of Apple Inc. co-founder Steve Jobs." Kate Winslet plays Joanna Hoffman, Apple and NeXT marketing executive and Jobs' confidant in the film. "On the nature of the relationship between Hoffman and Jobs, Winslet said that she and Fassbender 'were able to develop as literally co-workers. I do believe it was very similar to the relationship that Steve and Joanna had. She was like his work wife. She was head of marketing for the Macintosh, and then she stayed with him for his working life. She was an extraordinary, feisty Eastern European person who was pretty much the only person who could actually knock sense into Steve, and she was also kind of an emotional compass.'" According to Rotten Tomatoes, "Like the tech giant co-founded by its subject, Steve Jobs gathers brilliant people to deliver a product whose elegance belies the intricate complexities at its core." Kate Winslet won a Golden Globe and a BAFTA Award for Best Supporting Actress. She also received a nomination for Best Supporting Actress at the Academy Awards.

DEREK: 2

JC: 3

VICTORIA: 4

CHRIS: 6 - One of the few standout performances in the movie.

ELLIOTT: 6

DEE: 11 - No movies were needed about the life of Steve Jobs. Kate is good in this movie.

2. ROSE DEWITT BUKATER - TITANIC (1997)

From Wikipedia: "Titanic is a 1997 American epic romance and disaster film directed, written, co-produced, and co-edited by James Cameron. Incorporating both historical and fictionalized aspects, it is based on accounts of the sinking of the RMS Titanic, and stars Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet as members of different social classes who fall in love aboard the ship during its ill-fated maiden voyage. It was the most expensive film ever made at the time, with a production budget of $200 million. Rose is a 17-year-old girl, originally from Philadelphia, who is forced into an engagement to 30-year-old Cal Hockley so she and her mother, Ruth, can maintain their high-class status after her father's death had left the family debt-ridden. Rose boards the RMS Titanic with Cal and Ruth, as a first-class passenger, and meets Jack." According to Rotten Tomatoes, Titanic is "a mostly unqualified triumph for James Cameron, who offers a dizzying blend of spectacular visuals and old-fashioned melodrama." Wikipedia notes "Upon its release on December 19, 1997, Titanic achieved significant critical and commercial success. Nominated for 14 Academy Awards, it tied All About Eve (1950) for the most Oscar nominations, and won 11, including the awards for Best Picture and Best Director, tying Ben-Hur (1959) for the most Oscars won by a single film. With an initial worldwide gross of over $1.84 billion, Titanic was the first film to reach the billion-dollar mark. It remained the highest-grossing film of all time until Cameron's Avatar surpassed it in 2010."

ELLIOTT: 1

JC: 1

VICTORIA: 1
DEE: 7 - Iconic film whose success is astronomical. Its staying power in popular culture is indicative of how much this film means to people and the social impact it has had for over two decades. That all being said, Titanic has never moved me. Not once.
DEREK: 10

CHRIS: 11 - I love Titanic but I have a feeling that you will all rank it high to give it a win, and as a Kate stan I ain't here for that. But watch it win just like it did with Deadpool.

1. CLEMENTINE KRUCZYNSKI - ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND (2004)

From Wikipedia: "It follows an estranged couple who have erased each other from their memories. The film uses elements of the psychological thriller and a nonlinear narrative to explore the nature of memory and romantic love. Kate Winslet plays Clementine Kruczynski, a spontaneous extrovert who, after breaking up with him after a two-year relationship, erases Joel Barish from her mind. Producers cast Winslet against type for her part as Clementine, as Winslet had previously featured heavily in period pieces. She received the role after she was the only actress to offer criticism on the script instead of pandering to the writers. Some commentators note how Clementine's character criticizes the Manic Pixie Dream Girl stock character several years before film critic Nathan Rabin coined the phrase." According to Rotten Tomatoes, "Propelled by Charlie Kaufman's smart, imaginative script and Michel Gondry's equally daring directorial touch, Eternal Sunshine is a twisty yet heartfelt look at relationships and heartache." Wikipedia also says "It won the Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay, and Winslet received a nomination for Academy Award for Best Actress. The film developed a cult following in the years after its release and has come to be regarded by many critics as one of the best films of the 21st century and even of all time."

CHRIS: 1 - One of my favourite movies, and Kate is fantastic in it. She should have won the Oscar for this role.
DEE: 1 - One of the greatest films ever made. My favorite film of all-time. Kate Winslet as Clementine Kruczynski...brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. I could write so many words on this film, but I'll keep it short and sweet: the best film ever.

ELLIOTT: 3
VICTORIA: 3
DEREK: 4

JC: 8

1 minute ago, 1234567890 said:

It's the three #1 scores and the random scores for me. I was going to tank Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind because since I am good friend I didn't. I'll rethink that in the future.

I did not tank it though, it ranked in the top half for me.