Actors & Actresses Rankdowns 2.0 (Winner Posted)

Steven_

7. TOM HANKS

Rf3c61017fcd5941101710aa3d9b54822?rik=RST2uat4E%2B0DLw&pid=ImgRaw

tumblr_n4tdnqjyO41qikmd9o1_500.gif

Forrest Gump - Forrest Gump (1994)

Film Synopsis: The story depicts several decades in the life of Forrest Gump (Tom Hanks), a slow-witted but kind-hearted man from Alabama who witnesses and unwittingly influences several defining historical events in the 20th century United States. Forrest Gump received favorable reviews for Zemeckis' directing, Sinise and Hanks' performances, the visual effects, the music and the screenplay. The film was an enormous success at the box office; it became the top-grossing film in America released that year and earned over US$677 million worldwide during its theatrical run, making it the second highest-grossing film of 1994, behind The Lion King. Forrest Gump won the Academy Awards for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor for Hanks, Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Visual Effects, and Best Film Editing. It received many award nominations, including Golden Globes, British Academy Film Awards and Screen Actors Guild Awards. Tom Hanks also won Best Actor awards at the Golden Globes and SAG Awards for Forrest Gump. In 2011, the Library of Congress selected the film for preservation in the United States National Film Registry as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant". The Registry said that the film was "honored for its technological innovations (the digital insertion of Gump seamlessly into vintage archival footage), its resonance within the culture that has elevated Gump (and what he represents in terms of American innocence) to the status of folk hero, and its attempt to engage both playfully and seriously with contentious aspects of the era's traumatic history."

STEVEN: 1

WALLACE: 2

REI: 3

ALEX: 6
DEREK: 9

QK: 9

ELLIOTT: 10

CHRIS: 13

TOM: 17

GIGI: 19

STEVEN

Forrest Gump is a movie that will be remembered for generations to come. The film and Tom Hanks' performance are both funny and deeply moving, and Tom Hanks earned his second straight Best Actor win at the Academy Awards for Forrest Gump. Tom Hanks is amazing in this role, making Forrest Gump a true movie icon. There are a lot of excellent performances in this Top 20, but this was an easy choice for the #1 spot on my ranking.

WALLACE

Such a classic movie and one of my favorite movies. Tom was amazing in this.

REI

I will always love Forrest Gump and Tom Hanks in this.

ALEX

This used to be my favorite film of all time. I got a bit older and a bit more liberal so I don't necessarily still hold that opinion, but I still LOVE the movie and Hanks in undeniable. I'm not a big movie cryer, but the scene of him at Jenny's grave gets me every time.

DEREK

I don't think I've ever seen this movie in full from start to finish. I caught bits and pieces when teachers would show it in class or something. Yeah, I know that's blasphemous. I'm sure it's a great performance but I need to watch it with my grown-up eyes.

QK

Tom is another person who was great in a million movies. Even though he was awesome in dozens and dozens of movies I will always know him as Forrest Gump.

ELLIOTT

Not as big on this movie as most people were/are, but there's no denying that Tom Hanks completely embodied this role and I don't think it would've been nearly as successful without him in it. Also I laughed so hard when I learned that this movie had such a high budget because of the soundtrack. Iconic.

CHRIS

One of Tom's signature role & rightfully so. He's truly excellent as Forrest Gump but I have to rank it here as I prefer other roles more than this one.

TOM

Never seen this, oops. 🙈

GIGI

I saw Forrest Gump only once and hated it.  I don't know if it was because we had to watch it in history class and do a bunch of work that had to do with it, or I was just not into it altogether.  I'm in the minority, I know.

• Steven_ changed the title to Actors & Actresses Rankdowns 2.0 (#7 Posted)
  • Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6. VIOLA DAVIS

tumblr_oe63x7K6Y21qa3emao4_540.gifv

giphy.gif

Rose Maxon - Fences (2016)

Film Synopsis: A working-class African-American father tries to raise his family in the 1950s, while coming to terms with the events of his life. According to Rotten Tomatoes, "From its reunited Broadway stars to its screenplay, the solidly crafted Fences finds its Pulitzer-winning source material fundamentally unchanged — and still just as powerful." A review in the Boston Globe also says "You don't get groundbreaking cinema from Fences, but what you do get – two titanic performances and an immeasurable American drama – makes up for that." In an interview, Viola Davis discussed her role and said "I loved Rose's journey. I always say I think her journey — it's a complete journey. I mean, you see her at first and she seems to be in the background. She's making her marriage work — it is working, as far as she's concerned. And then it gets turned on its head and you see her pain. ... I love it as an actor, that just complete journey of womanhood. I just really wanted to create a portrait of a woman. ... You see age has affected her, but you still see the smile; you see a little bit of the lipstick; you see a woman who is not downtrodden. It was very important for me to create an entire and specific portrait of a woman, so by the time everything is taken away, it really is taken away. You really feel the trauma ... and I could have only gotten to that level if I would have had something to lose." Viola Davis won the Best Supporting Actress Award at the Academy Awards for this role.

DEREK: 3

TOM: 4

CHRIS: 5

WALLACE: 5

ALEX: 7

REI: 7

QK: 12

GIGI: 14

STEVEN: 14

ELLIOTT: 16

DEREK

Legendary actress and a great role to represent her!

TOM

I fear this will rank low so I am bumping it up a bit! Viola plays a great Rose, and I guess it shouldn't be surpising that this was based on an August Wilson play!

CHRIS

Ranking it a bit higher as I think it needs help. This role is truly one of her best role in her career. There's a reason why she won both the Academy Award & Tony Award for this role.

WALLACE

Viola is a Queen. She’s amazing in anything she’s in.

ALEX

Amazing performances from both Denzel Washington and Viola Davis. He should've won the Oscar too, but I'm soooooo happy she finally won. What a deserving win even if it was a lead performance and not supporting.

REI

Master Class in acting!

QK

I was a big fan of How to Get Away with Murder for awhile but I eventually dropped it because I got bored with it. But I watched it for as long as I did because she was amazing in it.

GIGI

I know who she is (hello, iconic gif!), but haven't seen Fences.

STEVEN

I haven't seen Fences yet, but it looks like Viola Davis delivers a powerful performance. I'm glad she finally won her Oscar!

ELLIOTT

Should've been her GIF in this spot tbh.

• Steven_ changed the title to Actors & Actresses Rankdowns 2.0 (#6 Posted)

TOP 5

tumblr_nd7453RKbg1rxmai6o7_r1_500.gif

Charlize Theron - Monster (2003)

giphy.gif

Heath Ledger - The Dark Knight (2008)

original.gif

Natalie Portman - Black Swan (2010)

TallDeadHellbender-small.gif

Rachel McAdams - Mean Girls (2004)

tumblr_na66i2fxCW1r93jsro5_500.gif

Robin Williams - Good Will Hunting (1997)

ALEX:

CHRIS:

DEREK:

ELLIOTT:

GIGI: 

QK:

REI:

STEVEN:

TOM:

WALLACE:

17 hours ago, ~Tom~ said:

And @*Wallace you need to see it! I specifically saw it so I could rank it fairly and I do not regret it. ❤️

What? The Devil Wears Prada?

17 hours ago, Elliott said:

How have y’all seen Forrest Gump? Do you not have a TV?

:dead: 

Even I have seen Forrest Gump. 🙈

11 hours ago, QueenKalie said:

Alex's number 20 making the top 5. :wub:

lmao danggg that's insane. :dead: 

11 hours ago, FrogLenzen said:

Elliott the only one with just single digits for the top 5!

Wow I am shook here.

• Steven_ changed the title to Actors & Actresses Rankdowns 2.0 (Winner Posted)