Actors & Actresses Rankdowns 2.0 (Winner Posted)

15. MARTIN - NEWNESS (2017)

Film Synopsis: In Los Angeles, two millennials - Martin (Hoult), a pharmacist, and Gabriella (Costa), a physical therapy assistant - navigating a social media-driven hookup culture begin a relationship that pushes both emotional and physical boundaries.

TOM: 7

CHRIS: 8
DIANA: 9

ELLIOTT: 10

REI: 12

PRISCILLA: 12

VICTORIA: 12

ALEX: 14 - I hope this is one of those cases where the movie is the better than the trailer, but that trailer made me cringe the whole time and had some of the worst writing I've ever seen in my life.

ANDY: 14

SOLA: 14

14. J.D. SALINGER - REBEL IN THE RYE (2017)

Film Synopsis: The life of author J. D. Salinger from his youth to the World War II era, including his romantic life and the publication of his debut novel The Catcher in the Rye.

CHRIS: 7

ELLIOTT: 7

DIANA: 8

ALEX: 11 - When I think of J.D. Salinger I just think of his character on BoJack Horseman.

ANDY: 11

SOLA: 11

PRISCILLA: 13

REI: 13

VICTORIA: 13

TOM: 15 - Tolkien got cut and yet a Kevin Spacey film got to stay? Shame, Alex!

13. DAVID PHILLIPS - COMING DOWN THE MOUNTAIN (2007)

Film Synopsis: David and Ben Philips are teenage brothers who live in London. Ben has Down syndrome. David resents the protective attention his parents lavish on his younger brother and how much they rely on him to look after Ben. The family move from London to Derbyshire so that Ben can attend a special school, meaning David has to leave his friends and girlfriend, Gail, behind.

TOM: 4
DIANA: 7

ELLIOTT: 8

VICTORIA: 8

CHRIS: 10

SOLA: 12

ALEX: 13 - Another TV Movie sneaking in here lol

ANDY: 13

PRISCILLA: 14

REI: 15

12. CONSTABLE FITZPATRICK - TRUE HISTORY OF THE KELLY GANG (2019)

Film Synopsis: Based on Peter Carey's novel, the film is a highly-fictionalized account of the life of Australian bushranger Ned Kelly and his gang as they flee from authorities during the 1870s.

ANDY: 6 - Australian themed and shirtless men in the promos? Sign me up.

ALEX: 7 - I didn't know where to rank this so I just threw it here.
TOM: 8
REI: 9

VICTORIA: 9

PRISCILLA: 11

CHRIS: 12
DIANA: 13

ELLIOTT: 13

SOLA: 15

11. MATT STEINER - THE BANKER (2020)

Film Synopsis: The story follows Joe Morris (Jackson) and Bernard S. Garrett Sr. (Mackie), two of the first African-American bankers in the United States. Nicholas Hoult plays Matt Steiner, a white man they convince to pose as the front of the company in meetings to facilitate the sales.

DIANA: 3

PRISCILLA: 8

TOM: 9

ALEX: 10 - How have I had Apple TV+ for months and have never heard of this movie until now.

CHRIS: 11

ELLIOTT: 11

REI: 11

ANDY: 12

SOLA: 13

VICTORIA: 14

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Advancing Activia Commercial!

Advancing The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.

Advancing The House Bunny

Posted Images

10. MATT OCRE - SANDCASTLE (2017)

Film Synopsis: The film centers on Matt Ocre, a young soldier in the United States Army, who is tasked with restoring water to a village in Iraq. It is based on the true events and the experience of the film's writer Roessner during the Iraq War.

TOM: 5

CHRIS: 6

ELLIOTT: 9
SOLA: 9

DIANA: 10

PRISCILLA: 10

VICTORIA: 11

ALEX: 12 - A Netflix war movie isn't exactly in my wheelhouse.

REI: 14

ANDY: 15

9. TONY STONEM - SKINS (2007)

Series Synopsis: A British teen comedy-drama television series that follows the lives of a group of teenagers in Bristol, South West England, through the two years of sixth form. Its controversial story-lines have explored issues like dysfunctional families, mental illness (such as depression, eating disorders, post-traumatic stress disorder and bipolar disorder), adolescent sexuality, gender, substance abuse, death, and bullying. Tony Stonem (Nicholas Hoult) is an intelligent and popular boy. His manipulative ways often go unnoticed by many, and are a catalyst for the majority of the events in the series.

VICTORIA: 1

PRISCILLA: 2

ELLIOTT: 4

CHRIS: 5

REI: 7

ANDY: 8
SOLA: 8

TOM: 12 - I love Tony and most of the S1 charcters, but it shouldn't really win.

ALEX: 15 - After doing a half-tank on the Robin Williams round for a performance I didn't want to win and then it ended up winning, I'm just committing to the full tank now. It still could very much end up winning and I'll be boo boo the fool. I've never seen Skins, I know it's beloved, I think my top three would be a lot more deserving so yeah, no regrets. :kissbye:

DIANA: 15

8. KENNY POTTER - A SINGLE MAN (2009)

Film Synopsis: Mourning the loss of his partner Jim, George Falconer, an English professor working in Los Angeles, is finding life increasingly difficult to face. After being ignored by the family of his partner upon his death, George has now decided to end it all by committing suicide. While preparing for his departure, George encounters some of the people he has met during his time in Los Angeles and they notice a change in the man. Nicholas Hoult plays Kenny Potter, a student who shows interest in George and disregards conventional boundaries of student–professor discussion.

CHRIS: 3

TOM: 3 - I know this won't win but it deserves some recognition!

ANDY: 5
DIANA: 5

REI: 5

SOLA: 5

ALEX: 6 - I do love the movie and Firth should've won his Oscar for this instead of The King's Speech. I always found the whole storyline with Hoult a bit problematic though. He sure is beautiful in this movie though.

ELLIOTT: 12

PRISCILLA: 15

VICTORIA: 15

7. NUX - MAD MAX: FURY ROAD (2015)

Film Synopsis: Years after the collapse of civilization, the tyrannical Immortan Joe enslaves apocalypse survivors inside the desert fortress the Citadel. When the warrior Imperator Furiosa (Charlize Theron) leads the despot's five wives in a daring escape, she forges an alliance with Max Rockatansky (Tom Hardy), a loner and former captive. Fortified in the massive, armored truck the War Rig, they try to outrun the ruthless warlord and his henchmen in a deadly high-speed chase through the Wasteland. Nicholas Hoult plays Nux, a member of Immortan Joe's army of War Boys and lives in the settlement known as The Citadel, but later allies himself with Max Rockatansky and Imperator Furiosa after feeling responsible for Angharad's death. He also forms a bond with Capable.

SOLA: 1 - duh.

ALEX: 2 - I will fight till the day that I die that Hoult's performance in this movie is brilliant. He gives so much emotional depth to such an odd character with not that large of a role. I was almost in tears over his character's fate.

DIANA: 2

REI: 2

PRISCILLA: 5

VICTORIA: 6

ANDY: 10 - It pains me to rank this so low but my hands are tied. 🙂 

TOM: 14 - Nicholas is not hot in Mad Max so if it couldn't win Charlize's round, it most certainly shouldn't win this!

CHRIS: 15 - A threat to win it all as we've seen in previous round it was included and the movie rankdown.

ELLIOTT: 15

6. MARCUS BREWER - ABOUT A BOY (2002)

Film Synopsis: A comedy-drama starring Hugh Grant as Will, a rich, child-free and irresponsible Londoner in his thirties who, in search of available women, invents an imaginary son and starts attending single parent meetings. As a result of one of his liaisons, he meets Marcus, an odd 12-year-old boy with problems at school. Gradually, Will and Marcus become friends, and as Will teaches Marcus how to be a cool kid, Marcus helps Will to finally grow up.

PRISCILLA: 1
VICTORIA: 3

ALEX: 4 - Baby Nicholas Hoult! I think I've seen bits of the movie, never the whole thing.
DIANA: 6

REI: 6

ANDY: 7 - He looks fun in this.

SOLA: 7

CHRIS: 9

TOM: 13 - Ew, why is this here? Nicholas is a prepubescent in it and the whole movie is kind of pointless.

ELLIOTT: 14

20 minutes ago, *Diana said:

Alex we did that. :wub:

I’m hollering at the fact that you both ranked Skins last and Mad Max: Fury Road at number 2 so I’m not sure what you’re referring to in regards to what you did? :dead:

2 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

Did you make a deal for a mini-rankdown :dead:

Nope, wasn’t a deal lol. I don’t care that much about these games to make deals. I have just been berated before when I don’t rank things where someone wants me to and I don’t care enough to change it. :haha: 

4 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

Did you make a deal for a mini-rankdown :dead:

I definitely agree with you on Hoult in Mad Max though. I think he did an incredible job and his character ended up being really sympathetic. I would have ranked it 3rd.

5. DR. HANK McCOY / BEAST - X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST (2014)

Film Synopsis: Convinced that mutants pose a threat to humanity, Dr. Bolivar Trask (Peter Dinklage) develops the Sentinels, enormous robotic weapons that can detect a mutant gene and zero in on that person. In the 21st century, the Sentinels have evolved into highly efficient killing machines. With mutants now facing extinction, Wolverine (Hugh Jackman) volunteers to go back in time and rally the X-Men of the past to help change a pivotal moment in history and thereby save their future. Nicholas Hoult plays Dr. Hank McCoy / Beast: a mutant with leonine attributes, super-strength, agility, reflexes and enhanced speed. Hoult plays the character in scenes set in 1973.

ELLIOTT: 2

SOLA: 2

ANDY: 3

REI: 3

PRISCILLA: 4

VICTORIA: 5

ALEX: 9 - X-Men movies are very take it or leave it for me. I enjoy them for the two hours I spend watching them, and then forget everything about it the second the movie ends.

TOM: 11 - An X-meh film shouldn't win.

DIANA: 12

CHRIS: 14

4. DR. HANK McCOY / BEAST - X-MEN: FIRST CLASS (2011)

Film Synopsis: In the early 1960s, during the height of the Cold War, a mutant named Charles Xavier (James McAvoy) meets a fellow mutant named Erik Lehnsherr (Michael Fassbender). Despite their vastly different backgrounds -- Charles grew up with a wealthy family, while Erik lost his parents at Auschwitz -- the two become close friends. As the world teeters on the brink of a nuclear war, Charles and Erik with other mutants join forces to save humanity. However, a situation soon tears the friends apart. Nicholas Hoult plays Dr. Hank McCoy / Beast: a genius scientist who has mutant abilities similar to those of the great apes. He attempts to cure himself of what he believes to be physically debilitating aspects of his mutation only to be transformed into a frightening-looking blue-furred apeman with leonine attributes. Despite his new appearance, he is kind and caring at heart.

ELLIOTT: 3

PRISCILLA: 3
SOLA: 3

ANDY: 4

REI: 4

VICTORIA: 4

ALEX: 8 - X-Men movies are very take it or leave it for me. I enjoy them for the two hours I spend watching them, and then forget everything about it the second the movie ends.

TOM: 10 - An X-meh film shouldn't win.

DIANA: 11

CHRIS: 13

3. R - WARM BODIES (2011)

Film Synopsis: A terrible plague has left the planet's population divided between zombies and humans. An unusual zombie named R (Nicholas Hoult) sees his walking-dead brethren attacking a living woman named Julie (Teresa Palmer) and rescues her. Julie sees that R is different from the other zombies, and the pair embark on an unusual relationship. As their bond grows and R becomes more and more human, a chain of events unfolds that could transform the entire lifeless world.

ELLIOTT: 1

CHRIS: 4

DIANA: 4

SOLA: 4

ALEX: 5 - I've never gotten around to seeing it, but I've always thought the trailers looked cute.

TOM: 6 - Nicholas Hoult is not hot in this but I liked the movie well emough and it isn't a threat.

PRISCILLA: 7

VICTORIA: 7

ANDY: 9 - Only ranking it this high because I've actually seen it.

REI: 10

2. PETER III - THE GREAT (2020)

Series Synopsis: The Great is a satirical, comedic drama about the rise of Catherine the Great from outsider to the longest-reigning female ruler in Russia's history. The series is fictionalized and portrays Catherine in her youth and marriage with Emperor Peter III (amalgamated with Peter II) focusing on the plot to kill her depraved and dangerous husband. Nicholas Hoult was nominated for the 2020 Golden Globe for Best Actor – Television Series Musical or Comedy for this role. He's currently nominated for the Screen Actors Guild Award for this role for Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Comedy Series and Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series.

ALEX: 1 - This show has gotten off to such a strong start and I cannot wait to watch the rest of the seasons. Nicholas Hoult and Elle Fanning are all delivering career best work here with some of the smartest writing on television. I am so excited for season two!

ANDY: 2 - I'm only on episode 4 right now but I love him in this! He's hilarious and fiercely committed to being an insufferable assh*le.

CHRIS: 2
TOM: 2 - He's so hot in this and his character is an utter menace in it, what's not to love? This or the Favourite for the win!

VICTORIA: 2

ELLIOTT: 5
REI: 8

PRISCILLA: 9
SOLA: 10

DIANA: 14

1. ROBERT HARLEY - THE FAVOURITE (2018)

Film Synopsis: In the early 18th century, England is at war with the French. Nevertheless, duck racing and pineapple eating are thriving. A frail Queen Anne occupies the throne, and her close friend, Lady Sarah, governs the country in her stead, while tending to Anne's ill health and mercurial temper. When a new servant, Abigail, arrives, her charm endears her to Sarah. Sarah takes Abigail under her wing, and Abigail sees a chance to return to her aristocratic roots. Nicholas Hoult plays Robert Harley, the Leader of the Opposition, who as a landowner argues against a doubling of property taxes proposed to fund the war. The Favourite won the Critics' Choice Movie Award for Best Acting Ensemble in 2018.

ANDY: 1 - He has way more to do in The Great, but I won't pass up an opportunity to rank one of my top moves at #1 and Hoult is easily the standout in this movie besides the three leads.

CHRIS: 1
DIANA: 1

REI: 1

TOM: 1 - Harley was the only memorable male role in the Favourite because of him!

ALEX: 3 - While I'll be rooting for the two performances I ranked above this more, I would still be happy with this winning like I think it could. A really fun performance from Hoult and he deserved a lot more acclaim for it, however I think the women steal the movie and completely own it so I understand how he ended up forgotten (also probably unpopular opinion but Joe Alwyn is also just as great and just as deserving of acclaim as Hoult).

ELLIOTT: 6

PRISCILLA: 6

SOLA: 6

VICTORIA: 10

Every single performance so far has a 14 and/or 15 rank. This round is chaotic 

EDIT -lol I’m a page behind whoops

Edited by FrogLenzen
  • Steven_ changed the title to Actors & Actresses Rankdowns 2.0 (Winner Posted)