Actors & Actresses Rankdowns 2.0 (Winner Posted)

Steven_

15. AMSTERDAM VALLON - GANGS OF NEW YORK (2002)

From Wikipedia: "In 1863, a long-running Catholic–Protestant feud erupts into violence, just as an Irish immigrant group is protesting the low wages caused by an influx of freed slaves as well as the threat of conscription." DiCaprio plays Amsterdam Vallon, a young man seeking revenge against his father's killer. Rotten Tomatoes gives it a 73% approval rating and says, "Though flawed, the sprawling, messy Gangs of New York is redeemed by impressive production design and Day-Lewis's electrifying performance."

ALEX: 6 - Leo + Scorsese. A duo! But this movie belongs to DDL if we're being honest.
QK: 7
WALLACE: 11
DENISE: 15 - As I said earlier, I voted against this since it was the only movie I hadn't seen prior to the final ranking. I did just watch it and will again say that Leo delivers in all his roles. It is really not my kind of movie, however. I prefer him in other roles and the other movies here in general.
DEREK: 15 - No point in ranking this higher.
PRISCILLA: 15
VICTORIA: 15 - Growing Pains deserved it more.

14. FRANK WHEELER - REVOLUTIONARY ROAD (2008)

From IMDB: "A young couple living in a Connecticut suburb during the mid-1950s struggle to come to terms with their personal problems while trying to raise their two children. Frank and April Wheeler are in the 'seven year itch' of their marriage; they're not happy. April has forgone her dream of being an actress, and Frank hates his job. One day, April suggests they move to Paris as a means to rejuvenate their life." According to Rotten Tomatoes, "Brilliantly acted and emotionally powerful, Revolutionary Road is a handsome adaptation of Richard Yates' celebrated novel." The performances of DiCaprio and Winslet earned them a Golden Globe Award for Best Actor – Motion Picture Drama nomination and a Golden Globe Award for Best Actress, respectively, and the film was nominated for a further three Golden Globes, four BAFTAs and three Academy Awards.

WALLACE: 8
ALEX: 10 - Marriage Story outsold! I hope we're ready for that conversation.
DENISE: 11 - The Leo and Kate reunion. heart.gif.c504acb42b19a5dcec1a32eb64b25cb0.gif I enjoyed this movie, but it does end up kind of middle of the road for me among all these. He still portrays his character so well, particularly the emotional parts.
DEREK: 12
PRISCILLA: 13
VICTORIA: 13 - The reunion of Leo and Kate. That is all.
QK: 13

13. HUGH GLASS - THE REVENANT (2015)

Plot Summary: "While exploring the uncharted wilderness in 1823, frontiersman Hugh Glass (Leonardo DiCaprio) sustains life-threatening injuries from a brutal bear attack. When a member (Tom Hardy) of his hunting team kills his young son (Forrest Goodluck) and leaves him for dead, Glass must utilize his survival skills to find a way back to civilization. Grief-stricken and fueled by vengeance, the legendary fur trapper treks through the snowy terrain to track down the man who betrayed him." Rotten Tomatoes gives it a 78% approval rating and says, "As starkly beautiful as it is harshly uncompromising, The Revenant uses Leonardo DiCaprio's committed performance as fuel for an absorbing drama that offers punishing challenges — and rich rewards." Leonardo DiCaprio's performance was widely acclaimed and ultimately won him an Academy Award, the first of his career after five previous nominations.

DEREK: 8 - I will literally never watch this but I thought it deserved a little bump just for the Oscar.
PRISCILLA: 11
VICTORIA: 11 - I liked Leo's acting and that was it. It was a pity Oscar win, unfortunately.
ALEX: 12 - I still can't believe he finally won the Oscar for this. I mean not that it's a bad performance...but really?
DENISE: 12 - Leo's Oscar winning role. heart.gif.c504acb42b19a5dcec1a32eb64b25cb0.gif That alone makes me feel like I should rank this higher, but I love other movies too much, and he really should have received other Oscars too. This movie is not one I would likely be interested in watching again, but it is worth it for Leo's performance. He is truly something else in this role and takes on this character so far away from him with such dedication and skill. I am amazed at the amazing Leo. Also...

uuuQyQ3.gif

eVz7eKv.gif

:giggle::giggle: 

QK: 12
WALLACE: 14

12. JAY GATSBY - THE GREAT GATSBY (2013)

Plot Summary: "The film follows the life and times of millionaire Jay Gatsby (DiCaprio) and his neighbor Nick Carraway (Maguire), who recounts his encounter with Gatsby at the height of the Roaring Twenties on Long Island." DiCpario plays the titular character, Jay Gatsby, a famous millionaire who hosts wild parties at his house hoping Daisy will come. The film was highly polarizing among critics; it received alternating praise and criticism for its acting performances, soundtrack, visual style, and direction. Rotten Tomatoes gives it a 49% approval rating and says, "While certainly ambitious—and every bit as visually dazzling as one might expect—Baz Luhrmann's The Great Gatsby emphasizes visual splendor at the expense of its source material's vibrant heart."

WALLACE: 3
DENISE: 8 - I really like this movie and feel like it gets a bit of a bad rep. Leo is great in the role of Mr. Jay Gatsby. I personally enjoy the movie, but even if you don't, at least Leo always delivers a strong performance. Plus, this movie gave me one of my very favorite Leo gifs! BvDU.gif For that alone, we must stan.
ALEX: 9 - I really wish I liked this movie more because I love the book. Leo and Mulligan are the best things about it though.
QK: 9
DEREK: 14
PRISCILLA: 14
VICTORIA: 14 - Kind of a boring film imo.

11. DANNY ARCHER - BLOOD DIAMOND (2006)

From Wikipedia: "The title refers to blood diamonds, which are diamonds mined in war zones and sold to finance conflicts, and thereby profit warlords and diamond companies across the world. Set during the Sierra Leone Civil War in 1991–2002, the film depicts a country torn apart by the struggle between government loyalists and insurgent forces. It also portrays many of the atrocities of that war." DiCaprio plays Danny Archer, a white Rhodesian gunrunner whose family was killed in the Rhodesian Bush War. Leonardo DiCaprio's performance in the film was particularly praised by most of the critics. Rotten Tomatoes gives it a 63% approval rating and says, "Blood Diamond overcomes poor storytelling with its biting commentary and fine performances."

PRISCILLA: 6
WALLACE: 6
VICTORIA: 7 - I get this film and The Departed confused.
QK: 8
DEREK: 10
DENISE: 13 - Leo is a man of many accents and that continues to hold true in this movie! He gives himself to every role and is always fantastic. I don't love this movie in general, but he always gives a strong performance.
ALEX: 14 - One of the only ones I haven't seen.

Edited by Steven_

10. HOWARD HUGHES - THE AVIATOR (2004)

From Wikipedia: "Based on the 1993 non-fiction book Howard Hughes: The Secret Life by Charles Higham, the film depicts the life of Howard Hughes, an aviation pioneer and director of the film Hell's Angels. The film portrays his life from 1927–1947 during which time Hughes became a successful film producer and an aviation magnate while simultaneously growing more unstable due to severe obsessive–compulsive disorder (OCD). At the 77th Academy Awards, it was nominated for eleven awards, including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Original Screenplay, Best Actor for DiCaprio, and Best Supporting Actor for Alda, winning five: Best Cinematography, Best Film Editing, Best Costume Design, Best Art Direction, and Best Supporting Actress for Cate Blanchett." Rotten Tomatoes gives it an 86% approval rating and says, "With a rich sense of period detail, The Aviator succeeds thanks to typically assured direction from Martin Scorsese and a strong performance from Leonardo DiCaprio, who charts Howard Hughes' descent from eccentric billionaire to reclusive madman."

ALEX: 4 - King of accents! I always wanted to love this movie more than I actually do, maybe I'm due for a rewatch.
QK: 4
DEREK: 7
DENISE: 9 - I feel like a broken record, but Leo's portrayal of this character is so impressive and incredible. The mental struggles his character goes through over the journey of the movie is compelling to watch.
PRISCILLA: 12
VICTORIA: 12 - I've seen it once and forgot about it.
WALLACE: 15

9. ROMEO MONTAGUE - ROMEO + JULIET (1996)

From Wikipedia: "It is an adaptation and modernization of William Shakespeare's tragedy Romeo and Juliet. The film stars Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes in the title roles of two teenagers who fall in love, despite their being members of feuding families. While it retains the original Shakespearean dialogue, the film represents the Montagues and the Capulets as warring mafia empires (with legitimate business fronts) during contemporary America, and swords are replaced with guns (with brand names such as 'Dagger' and 'Sword'), and a FedEx style delivery service is named 'Post Haste.'" Rotten Tomatoes gives it a 72% approval rating and says, "Baz Luhrmann's visual aesthetic is as divisive as it is fresh and inventive." Leonardo DiCaprio won Favorite Actor and Claire Danes won Favorite Actress in a Romance at the 1997 Blockbuster Entertainment Awards.

WALLACE: 2 - I remember watching this when I was younger. I really enjoyed the modern day take of Romeo & Juliet this film brought.
DENISE: 3 - The movie that made me fall in love with Leo. :wub: So thankful Priscilla advanced this to the finals. I remember watching this movie in school after we read the play.  I thought Leo was so adorable and just loved him; plus, I love the Shakespeare story, even though IT'S SO TRAGIC. :broken:  I just want to think about the romance of it or I'll get depressed and cry. It made me fall in love with love! I will forever think of the party scenes where Romeo and Juliet first met. :wub: pgffkJx.gif :wub: 

And the pool scene after he comes to see her outside her window! omg! :wub: XDiB.gif

I recently rewatched the movie and noticed just how flawless Leo is reciting his Shakespearean lines. Some of the others were not so good to me, but then Leo came on and slayed! I believed every word and expression. :wub: Young Leo slaying the game since I was in diapers and beyond! :wub: OGNRLQ1.gif

He is the ideal Romeo because he is charming and gorgeous and well, he defines Romeo. jJ5vjY8.gif :giggle: Slightly off topic, but not really, cause HE'S ROMEO. heart.gif.c504acb42b19a5dcec1a32eb64b25cb0.gif But aside from all that gushing, he also takes on some intense and dramatic scenes in this near the end, of course. This is another role that I just adore him in and is very close to my heart.
PRISCILLA: 3
VICTORIA: 4 - Peak hot Leo. That's why I'm voting it high. Point, blank and the period.
DEREK: 13
QK: 14
ALEX: 15 - One of my least favorite Shakespeare plays if we're being honest. And I'm not a fan of Baz Luhrmann's style at all.

8. CALVIN J. CANDIE - DJANGO UNCHAINED (2012)

Plot Summary: "Two years before the Civil War, Django (Jamie Foxx), a slave, finds himself accompanying an unorthodox German bounty hunter named Dr. King Schultz (Christoph Waltz) on a mission to capture the vicious Brittle brothers. Their mission successful, Schultz frees Django, and together they hunt the South's most-wanted criminals. Their travels take them to the infamous plantation of shady Calvin Candie (Leonardo DiCaprio), where Django's long-lost wife (Kerry Washington) is still a slave." Rotten Tomatoes gives it an 87% approval rating and says, "Bold, bloody, and stylistically daring, Django Unchained is another incendiary masterpiece from Quentin Tarantino." Leonardo DiCaprio actually cut his hand in the clip above, yet he stayed in character and kept the scene going. DiCaprio was nominated for Best Supporting Actor at the Golden Globes for this role, but the win went to co-star Christoph Waltz.

DEREK: 1
ALEX: 3 - Did the racist almost a bit too well.........but credit where credit is due one of Leo's best.
VICTORIA: 3 - I loved his character in this film. It was so different from anything he has done before.
PRISCILLA: 8
QK: 10
WALLACE: 12
DENISE: 14 - Leo is amazing in every role and I watched this movie for him. It is just not my type of movie and I enjoy the others much more.

7. EDWARD "TEDDY" DANIELS - SHUTTER ISLAND (2010)

From Wikipedia: Shutter Island is a neo-noir psychological thriller, and "Leonardo DiCaprio stars as Deputy U.S. Marshal Edward "Teddy" Daniels, who is investigating a psychiatric facility on Shutter Island after one of the patients goes missing." Rotten Tomatoes gives it a 68% approval rating and says, "It may not rank with Scorsese's best work, but Shutter Island's gleefully unapologetic genre thrills represent the director at his most unrestrained." Roger Ebert said, "the movie is about: atmosphere, ominous portents, the erosion of Teddy's confidence and even his identity. It's all done with flawless directorial command. Scorsese has fear to evoke, and he does it with many notes."

ALEX: 2 - Leo's most underrated easily. One of his best!
DENISE: 4 -  I felt like this was an underrated favorite, but apparently not after seeing the reaction to me advancing it. :wub:  That makes me so happy. I love some good suspense and this movie is full of that. It has me on the edge of me seat, but apart from that - Leo is amazing! I don't want to spoil the plot in case anyone actually hasn't seen this and wants to, but Leo is truly impeccable in his character.  He is intense, emotional, dramatic, and exactly what he needs to be to carry this film. heart.gif.c504acb42b19a5dcec1a32eb64b25cb0.gif Ph3W.gif :omg: That face says it all! :omg: I love dramatic Leo!
QK: 5
DEREK: 5
WALLACE: 9
PRISCILLA: 10
VICTORIA: 10 - A pleasant surprise.

6. DOMINICK COBB - INCEPTION (2010)

From Wikipedia: "The film stars Leonardo DiCaprio as a professional thief who steals information by infiltrating the subconscious of his targets. He is offered a chance to have his criminal history erased as payment for the implantation of another person's idea into a target's subconscious." Inception grossed over $828 million worldwide, becoming the fourth highest-grossing film of 2010. Rotten Tomatoes gives it an 87% approval rating and says, "Smart, innovative, and thrilling, Inception is that rare summer blockbuster that succeeds viscerally as well as intellectually." Considered one of the best films of the 2010s (Inception appeared on over 273 critics' lists of the top ten films of 2010, being picked as number-one on at least 55 of those lists), Inception received critical praise for its screenplay, direction, themes, action sequences, visual effects, musical score, and ensemble cast. It won four Academy Awards (Best Cinematography, Best Sound Editing, Best Sound Mixing, and Best Visual Effects) and was nominated for four more: Best Picture, Best Original Screenplay, Best Art Direction, and Best Original Score.

DENISE: 2 - This is such a mind-bending, twisty, movie that I love and stan!

giphy.gif

I thought of advancing this one through to the finals actually, but it was a hard choice.  Leo is (once again) amazing in this role and the movie itself is one of his best. I love this movie. I love the dramatics, suspense, and intrigue of it all. I can't say enough great things about the concept and execution of this film. Leo shines bright as he carries the thrilling story of the movie and the emotional weight of his tortured character. :broken: He highly impressed me in this and, between this and Shutter Island, he had such a slayage year of dramatic movies in 2010. :omg: 

QK: 3
DEREK: 4
WALLACE: 7
PRISCILLA: 9
VICTORIA: 9 - I always forget he is in this movie. I rememeber JDL more. Oops.
ALEX: 11 - Inception doesn't really do it for me. He's good though!

• Sad 1

Victoria did comments? :shock: A PLOT TWIST! :dead:

All of those #15’s for Gangs of New York. :dead: I forgot Leo got the Oscar for The Revenant. Still crazy to me he didn’t get an Oscar sooner than that.

Lmao yikes… I kinda flopped hard in this Leo rankdown. :dead: Oh well it’s okay.

Omggg Denise went all out with her favorite movies with all of those gifs and all. :dead: Loved reading all of that esp. the Romeo & Juliet write-up.Wonderful commentary! And also enjoyed reading everyone else’s comments too.

Curious to see how the Final 5 all ranks. 😮

On the subject of Leonardo DiCaprio, I was reading an article where James Cameron talked about how, when Titanic was going substantially over budget, he offered to forego his percentage of the profit points to appease the studios. They refused because they thought the film was going to be a box office bomb. :dead:

14 minutes ago, Elliott said:

On the subject of Leonardo DiCaprio, I was reading an article where James Cameron talked about how, when Titanic was going substantially over budget, he offered to forego his percentage of the profit points to appease the studios. They refused because they thought the film was going to be a box office bomb. :dead:

They should have took him up on that offer. :dead:

1 hour ago, *Wallace said:

All of those #15’s for Gangs of New York. :dead: I forgot Leo got the Oscar for The Revenant. Still crazy to me he didn’t get an Oscar sooner than that.

hot take. leonardo dicaprio has never once been the best actor or given the best performance in any given year.

• Like 2

Three of my top 5 appearing in this set. :( :/ Mostly surprised Inception did not rank higher... but disappointed all around. :broken: 

4 hours ago, *Wallace said:

Omggg Denise went all out with her favorite movies with all of those gifs and all. :dead: Loved reading all of that esp. the Romeo & Juliet write-up.Wonderful commentary! And also enjoyed reading everyone else’s comments too.

Yes, I did. ❤️ Thank you very much. I adore that movie and it was my introduction to Leo. :wub:  I nearly ranked it #2, but decided to alternate between some of the younger and older roles that were so hard for me to choose between. 

5. JORDAN BELFORT - THE WOLF OF WALL STREET (2013)

From Wikipedia: "It recounts Belfort's perspective on his career as a stockbroker in New York City and how his firm, Stratton Oakmont, engaged in rampant corruption and fraud on Wall Street, which ultimately led to his downfall. The film received mostly positive reviews from critics, with praise for Scorsese's direction, DiCaprio's comedic performance and the fast-paced and consistent humor." Rotten Tomatoes gives it an 80% approval rating and says, "Funny, self-referential, and irreverent to a fault, The Wolf of Wall Street finds Martin Scorsese and Leonardo DiCaprio at their most infectiously dynamic." The Wolf of Wall Street was nominated for several awards, including five nominations at the 86th Academy Awards ceremony: Best Picture, Best Director and Best Adapted Screenplay, as well as Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor nominations for DiCaprio and Hill, respectively. DiCaprio won Best Actor – Musical or Comedy at the 71st Golden Globe Awards, where the film was also nominated for Best Picture – Musical or Comedy.

ALEX: 1 - Instantly iconic! A modern day classic! Leo's best performance ever, and quite possibly my favorite performance from a man ever. It is EVERYTHING!
WALLACE: 5
DENISE: 6 - A lot of things make this not my kind of movie, but there is no denying Leo is amazing in it and it's one of his stand-out roles and films. I like the contrast of where his character starts out and what he becomes over the course of events in the movie. Leo portrays that man overcome by greed and wealth sooo well. :dead: He's so funny and convincing, of course using his charm to sell it all too. Leo can do anything. IWyQdGP.gif
QK: 6
PRISCILLA: 7
VICTORIA: 8 - Great role for him. Underrated as well imo.
DEREK: 11

4. WILLIAM "BILLY" COSTIGAN - THE DEPARTED (2006)

From Wikipedia: "The film takes place in Boston. Irish Mob boss Francis "Frank" Costello (Nicholson) plants Colin Sullivan (Damon) as a mole within the Massachusetts State Police; simultaneously, the police assign undercover state trooper William "Billy" Costigan (DiCaprio) to infiltrate Costello's crew. When both sides realize the situation, Sullivan and Costigan each attempt to discover the other's identity before they are found out." Rotten Tomatoes gives it a 91% approval rating and says, "Featuring outstanding work from an excellent cast, The Departed is a thoroughly engrossing gangster drama with the gritty authenticity and soupy morality we come to expect from Martin Scorsese." The Departed was a critical and commercial success, and won several awards, including four Oscars at the 79th Academy Awards, for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay, and Best Film Editing, becoming Scorsese's only win for Best Director.

QK: 1
DEREK: 3
ALEX: 5 - A great performance and a great movie!
PRISCILLA: 5
VICTORIA: 6 - I get this film and Blood Diamond confused.
DENISE: 10 - omg! Leo is almost unrecognizable to me in this movie. Okay, that may be a bit of stretch, especially considering his appearance in some other movies. :dead: But he has this dark, bad boy look and persona about him in this movie which slayed me when I saw. I was like who is that? That's not my Leo. (!) BUT IT WAS AND IS. tumblr_mmt82zIesd1s00ervo5_r1_250.gif :shock: As usual, he slays this role as an uncover cop. He is a bad you-know-what. The movie overall is not my favorite, but the storyline is compelling and Leo is amazing.
WALLACE: 13

3. JACK DAWSON - TITANIC (1997)

From Wikipedia: "Titanic is a 1997 American epic romance and disaster film directed, written, co-produced, and co-edited by James Cameron. Incorporating both historical and fictionalized aspects, it is based on accounts of the sinking of the RMS Titanic, and stars Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet as members of different social classes who fall in love aboard the ship during its ill-fated maiden voyage. It was the most expensive film ever made at the time, with a production budget of $200 million. Jack is portrayed as an itinerant, poor orphan from Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin, who has travelled the world, including Paris. He wins two third-class tickets for the Titanic in a poker game and travels with his friend Fabrizio. He is attracted to Rose at first sight. Her fiancé's invitation to dine with them the next evening, enables Jack to mix with the first-class passengers for a night." According to Rotten Tomatoes, Titanic is "a mostly unqualified triumph for James Cameron, who offers a dizzying blend of spectacular visuals and old-fashioned melodrama." Wikipedia notes "Upon its release on December 19, 1997, Titanic achieved significant critical and commercial success. Nominated for 14 Academy Awards, it tied All About Eve (1950) for the most Oscar nominations, and won 11, including the awards for Best Picture and Best Director, tying Ben-Hur (1959) for the most Oscars won by a single film. With an initial worldwide gross of over $1.84 billion, Titanic was the first film to reach the billion-dollar mark. It remained the highest-grossing film of all time until Cameron's Avatar surpassed it in 2010."

DENISE: 1 - This is one of my favorite movies ever and I love it too much to not rank it on top. It may not win if people decide to tank it, but I will rank it as high as possible. This is an iconic, classic, EPIC film, and truly propelled Leo into stardom. heart.gif.c504acb42b19a5dcec1a32eb64b25cb0.gif He is fantastic in every role he does and he has taken on much more challenging and complex characters, but that doesn't change the fact that I ADORE him as Jack Dawson.  He is perfect. Jack is perfect. In this role, he shows how he can be charming, funny, loving, emotional, dramatic, and more. He sweeps Rose and the entire world off their feet, not just because he's cute, but because of all those endearing qualities that make him so lovable and irresistible. He plays the artist role well, as well as the love interest. He has to take on more dramatic scenes as the movie goes on, obviously.... and his tragic death will never not HAUNT ME IN MY NIGHTMARES. :broken: WHY'D YOU LET GO ROSE? :broken: Ugh.  JACK DIDN'T LET GO.

Kp6SOMP.gif crying.gif.7e8f61590c9fa4716d4470d08bc8c503.gif And remember that whole scene where he talks about how he's going to have to jump in after her if she jumps and how he's not looking forward to that freezing cold water?  He is just perfect and calm and is able to comfortably talk Rose back to safety, before he does physically save her from the moment in the above gif.  He's such a flawless hero and we don't deserve him. :wub: Actually I changed my mind - he's what we deserve!! :wub: This movie is everything and is known for so many classic scenes, quotes, the song "My Heart Will Go On" (which gets me in the FEELS as soon as the music starts), and more.

4pVWAq4.gif Iconic! heart.gif.c504acb42b19a5dcec1a32eb64b25cb0.gif

0iqe10l.gif LOL ALSO ICONIC! :wub: 

Of course, we all know the memorable drawing scene as well. DnxnVHw.gif Jack's face as he draws. heart.gif.c504acb42b19a5dcec1a32eb64b25cb0.gif Leo did that!

And actually this is one of my favorite emotional moments of the whole movie....bye2.gif.7960d44992e1eeff806cdce1d9856c29.gifbye2.gif.7960d44992e1eeff806cdce1d9856c29.gif

kEh30wN.png bye2.gif.7960d44992e1eeff806cdce1d9856c29.gifbye2.gif.7960d44992e1eeff806cdce1d9856c29.gif

And let us not forget...tenor.gif :giggle: 

(!) TO CONCLUDE: (!) Leo is such a talented actor and is incredibly captivating on screen. He shows just how good he is in every role he takes on, but this will forever be his defining role and my favorite.
WALLACE: 1 - This may not be Leonardo’s ~best acting ever but this is a film I watched the most from him and do love. It’s my favorite Leo film. So hoping it ranks well.
PRISCILLA: 2
VICTORIA: 2 - I don't even want this to win but I feel some will tank it. It's his most iconic role whether you like it or not.
DEREK: 9
ALEX: 13 - I've still never seen Titanic and really don't have much interest in doing so.
QK: 15 

2. ARNIE GRAPE - WHAT'S EATING GILBERT GRAPE (1993)

Plot Summary: "Gilbert Grape (Johnny Depp) is a small-town young man with a lot of responsibility. Chief among his concerns are his mother (Darlene Cates), who is so overweight that she can't leave the house, and his mentally impaired younger brother, Arnie (Leonardo DiCaprio), who has a knack for finding trouble. Settled into a job at a grocery store and an ongoing affair with local woman Betty Carver (Mary Steenburgen), Gilbert finally has his life shaken up by the free-spirited Becky (Juliette Lewis)." Wikipedia states, "The film received positive reviews, with many critics praising the performances by Depp and DiCaprio. The latter was singled out for his performance in the film, with many saying DiCaprio stole the film from the lead actor Depp." Rotten Tomatoes gives it a 90% approval rating and says the film is "sentimental and somewhat predictable, but those are small complaints, given the tender atmosphere and moving performances at the heart of What's Eating Gilbert Grape." A review in The New York Times said "the film's real show-stopping turn comes from Mr. DiCaprio, who makes Arnie's many tics so startling and vivid that at first he is difficult to watch… The performance has a sharp, desperate intensity from beginning to end." 19-year-old Leonardo DiCaprio received his first Academy Award and Golden Globe Award nominations for his supporting role.

PRISCILLA: 1
VICTORIA: 1 - Leo should have won the Oscar for this performance. Point, blank and the period.
DEREK: 2
DENISE: 7 - Such a young Leo here and already proving how incredibly talented he is as an actor. crying.gif.7e8f61590c9fa4716d4470d08bc8c503.gif His character here is unlike any other I've seen him in since. His performance is truly believable and so emotional, particularly at the end, like in the gifs Victoria posted before. :broken: Such an impressive performance. This movie doesn't even necessarily feature Leo in a lead role, but he still steals the show.
ALEX: 8 - A bit of a threat based on some of the comments here 👀 but Leo is unrecognizable here.
WALLACE: 10
QK: 11

1. FRANK ABAGNALE, JR. - CATCH ME IF YOU CAN (2002)

Plot Summary: "Frank Abagnale, Jr. (Leonardo DiCaprio) worked as a doctor, a lawyer, and as a co-pilot for a major airline -- all before his 18th birthday. A master of deception, he was also a brilliant forger, whose skill gave him his first real claim to fame: At the age of 17, Frank Abagnale, Jr. became the most successful bank robber in the history of the U.S. FBI Agent Carl Hanratty (Tom Hanks) makes it his prime mission to capture Frank and bring him to justice, but Frank is always one step ahead of him." Rotten Tomatoes gives it a 96% approval rating and says, "With help from a strong performance by Leonardo DiCaprio as real-life wunderkind con artist Frank Abagnale, Steven Spielberg crafts a film that's stylish, breezily entertaining, and surprisingly sweet." Roger Ebert heavily praised DiCaprio's performance, and concluded "This is not a major Spielberg film, although it is an effortlessly watchable one." In 2018, Entertainment Weekly ranked Leonardo DiCaprio's roles too, and Catch Me If You Can took the #1 spot as well. The site said, "DiCaprio is delightfully persuasive, deceptive, flirtatious, and sometimes tragic — and we dare you to find a better role, if you can."

QK: 2
PRISCILLA: 4
WALLACE: 4
DENISE: 5 - Such a youngish, sneaky Leo in this movie!  :giggle:omg! He is amazing and I love seeing him play opposite Tom Hanks.  Leo is the star and his character is a character himself! He's an actor within an actor in this role. :dead: LvQg.gif :giggle: 

Such a deceiving young man, but I live for it. Leo uses his effortless charm to make his character convincing and able to get away with things. He is so fun to watch as he attempts to do so the entire movie. I love this. Run, Leo, run! :giggle: pTJQ74k.gif
VICTORIA: 5 - One of my favorites from Leo. The cat and mouse chase between Leo and Tom is gold.
DEREK: 6
ALEX: 7 - Same feelings as I had during the Tom Hanks round. Love the movie, but not much of an acting showcase.

3 hours ago, totes4totes said:

hot take. leonardo dicaprio has never once been the best actor or given the best performance in any given year.

Ooh I see. I don't really follow the Oscars that closely or well remember who was up for what.. unless it's my very favorite actors and actresses. :haha: But I'll take your word on this.  It's just surprising as he's been nominated so much.

16 minutes ago, miss denise said:

Three of my top 5 appearing in this set. :( :/ Mostly surprised Inception did not rank higher... but disappointed all around. :broken: 

Yes, I did. ❤️ Thank you very much. I adore that movie and it was my introduction to Leo. :wub:  I nearly ranked it #2, but decided to alternate between some of the younger and older roles that were so hard for me to choose between. 

Aww at least the two on that set ranked at the highest of those spots at #6 and #7. :hug: And I did much worse with my rankings. :haha: 

Aww you're welcome! Aww I am not surprised with your love of R&J and how it turned you into a Leo fan. Ahh I seee at your reasoning for the ranking.

Lol yikes at no one's #1 movie winning. :dead:  🙈

Happy for Titanic making it to 3rd. Was just wanting that in the Top 5 as I knew there would be a few low rankings. Shook Alex hasn't seen Titanic. Even I have seen that one. :dead: :giggle: And wow really amazing write-up for Titanic there Denise. 😮 

Well done to Catch Me if You Can (aka no one's #1 favorite) on winning. :giggle: