Actors & Actresses Rankdowns 2.0 (Winner Posted)

Steven_

1 hour ago, *Wallace said:

LOL Like Derek I was totally thinking and wanting to tank A Fish Called Wanda ranking too but I ended up really liking what I saw of it. :lmao:  :dead: 

So ugh Megan for that. :/ :giggle:

Wow sorry that you had to see parts of a really incredible movie! Maybe you should actually watch the entire thing!!!!!

• Haha 2

5. HELEN TASKER - TRUE LIES (1994)

From Wikipedia: "The film follows U.S. government agent Harry Tasker (Schwarzenegger), who struggles to balance his life as a spy with his familial duties." In addition, "For her performance, Curtis won the Golden Globe Award for Best Actress – Motion Picture Musical or Comedy and the Saturn Award for Best Actress." According to Rotten Tomatoes, "If it doesn't reach the heights of director James Cameron's and star Arnold Schwarzenegger's previous collaborations, True Lies still packs enough action and humor into its sometimes absurd plot to entertain." However, "the film was criticized by the National Review as sexist, cruel, or even misogynistic, for its treatment of female characters, such as the hero (Schwarzenegger) using his agency's resources to stalk and frighten his wife."

DEREK: 1 - James Cameron. Arnold. Eliza Dushku. Tia Carrere. I strongly believe that comedy acting take at least as much skill as dramatic acting, if not more. This is a quintessential popcorn movie.

DEE: 2 - One of my favorite film performances of all-time. Helen Tasker is everything. 🤎

VICTORIA: 3

DENISE: 4

ELLIOTT: 4 - It hasn't necessarily aged well (the jokes about terrorists and the underlying misogyny as one of its plot points, not to mention the allegations Eliza Dushku brought forward), but otherwise it's a koala tea film and deserved the praise it got for its effects back when it came out! Jamie Lee Curtis also cites it as one of her favourite roles, so that's good enough for me to rank it high.

MEGAN: 7

WALLACE: 14

4. LAURIE STRODE - HALLOWEEN (2018)

From Wikipedia: "It is the eleventh installment in the Halloween film series and a direct sequel to the 1978 film of the same name while effecting a retcon of all previous sequels.The plot follows a post-traumatic Laurie Strode who prepares to face Michael Myers in a final showdown on Halloween night, forty years after she survived his killing spree." In addition, "the film received generally positive reviews from critics, with many considering it to be both the best Halloween sequel and a return to form for the series. It grossed over $255 million worldwide, making it the highest-grossing film in the franchise and the highest-grossing slasher film in unadjusted dollars, breaking a record that Scream had previously set in 1996, as well as setting several other box office records."

ELLIOTT: 3 - I mean obviously. :haha: Judy Greer is also one of my favourites, so I loved the casting, and adding in that Jake Gyllenhaal helped facilitate her return to the franchise makes me stan. Her acting is top-notch in this and I much prefer this iteration of a PTSD Laurie Strode to H20's interpretation of it.

DEE: 4 - The opening performance was the best ever for a film lead by a woman at age 60! JLC is a f*cking icon. This performance is very, very good. The best part of the film.

MEGAN: 4

DEREK: 5

VICTORIA: 5

WALLACE: 6

DENISE: 7

3. TESS COLEMAN / ANNA COLEMAN - FREAKY FRIDAY (2003)

From Wikipedia: "It stars Jamie Lee Curtis and Lindsay Lohan as a mother and daughter, respectively, whose bodies are switched by a mysterious and magical Chinese fortune cookie. It received largely positive reviews from critics and earned over $160 million worldwide on a $26 million budget. The film also earned Curtis a Golden Globe nomination for Best Actress in a Motion Picture Musical or Comedy." According to Rotten Tomatoes, "Jamie Lee Curtis and Lindsay Lohan charm in Mark Waters' nicely pitched -- and Disney's second -- remake of the 1976 hit." And from a Newsweek review: "the most startling metamorphosis is Curtis' transformation from fading horror flick queen to dazzling comedienne. She goes on a teenage tear—tormenting Anna's younger brother (who wonders why Mom's acting so weird), getting down and dirty on a TV talk show where Tess is supposed to discuss her book on aging—with fiercely funny conviction."

WALLACE: 1 - My personal favorite Jamie Lee Curtis movie and the one I’ve watched multiple times. Loved her role as Tess Coleman.

DENISE: 2 - A classic in its own right. I grew up with this movie and I love it.

ELLIOTT: 2 - #throwback to my LiLo spam when this classic got robbed in the Disney rankdown right before the final vote. :giggle:Anyway, I'm expecting everyone to rank this film low so I'm putting it here to help boost it up. Also Ultimate still slaps!

VICTORIA: 2

DEREK: 3 - guilty pleasure, probably will end up ranked higher than it should and I have no regrets.

MEGAN: 5 - A movie that is really better than it has any right to be!

DEE: 12 -  I fear the non-horror fans will rank this super high, so I am just doing my part to tank the film. Though given her final filmography, this is where I would probably rank this performance anyways.

2. LINDA DRYSDALE-THROMBREY - KNIVES OUT (2019)

From Wikipedia: "A modern whodunit, the film follows a master detective investigating the patriarch's death after a family gathering gone awry.'" The film features an ensemble cast. Jamie Lee Curtis plays real estate mogul Linda, the eldest daughter of a wealthy mystery novelist found dead after his 85th birthday party. According to Rotten Tomatoes, "Knives Out sharpens old murder-mystery tropes with a keenly assembled suspense outing that makes brilliant use of writer-director Rian Johnson's stellar ensemble." A review in the Hollywood Reporter "described the film as an 'ingeniously plotted, tremendously entertaining and deviously irreverent crowd-pleaser' and 'a treat from start to finish," praising the film's script, the throwbacks to the murder mysteries of the 1970s, and the actors' performances.'"

DENISE: 1 - I know she has more iconic roles and is part of a large ensemble cast here, but I LOVE this movie and therefore, it will top my list. It's just too good. I stan.

MEGAN: 1

WALLACE: 2

VICTORIA: 4

DEE: 5 - Iconic film that I love very much. JLC kills it in the very b*tchy somewhat-matriarchal role. But this film belongs to Ana de Armas. 

DEREK: 6 - this came out after my kid was born so obviously I haven't seen it. I'm trusting you guys though.

ELLIOTT: 6 - This movie's only been out for less than a year, but it's already become one of my all-time favourites. The only reason I'm not ranking it higher is because Jamie's not in it that much and I was bummed since she was the person I wanted to see the most in this film! :haha: But also Chris Evans in that sweater? my body is ready. 

1. LAURIE STRODE - HALLOWEEN (1978)

From Wikipedia: "Halloween is a 1978 American slasher film directed and scored by John Carpenter, co-written with producer Debra Hill, and starring Donald Pleasence and Jamie Lee Curtis in her film debut. The plot tells about a mental patient who was committed to a sanitarium for murdering his teenage sister on Halloween night when he was six years old. Fifteen years later, he escapes and returns to his hometown, where he stalks a female babysitter and her friends, while under pursuit by his psychiatrist." In addition, "In 2006, the film was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant." According to Rotten Tomatoes, "Scary, suspenseful, and viscerally thrilling, Halloween set the standard for modern horror films." As well, Wikipedia notes "Halloween is a widely influential film within the horror genre; it was largely responsible for the popularization of slasher films in the 1980s and helped develop the slasher genre. Halloween popularized many tropes that have become completely synonymous with the slasher genre. Halloween helped to popularize the final girl trope, the killing off of characters who are substance abusers or sexually promiscuous, and the use of a theme song for the killer. Carpenter also shot many scenes from the perspective of the killer in order to build tension. These elements have become so established that many historians argue that Halloween is responsible for the new wave of horror that emerged during the 1980s. Due to its popularity, Halloween became a blueprint for success that many other horror films, such as Friday the 13th and A Nightmare on Elm Street, followed, and that others like Scream satirized."

DEE: 1 - The most iconic Final Girl of all-time. Laurie Strode. A truly revolutionary role. 🤎

ELLIOTT: 1 - I mean obviously. Halloween is one of my favourite films of all-time so it's easily getting my #1 ranking. And why shouldn't it? The most iconic horror film of all time. :wub: The most iconic final girl of all-time. :wub: The most iconic horror theme song of all time. :wub: The most iconic slasher of all time. :wub: Based off the best holiday of the year. :wub: As close to perfection as a movie can get! :wub:

VICTORIA: 1

DEREK: 2 - Daughter of Janet Leigh making her debut in a John Carpenter movie. Legends all around.

DENISE: 3 - It will probably win, and that's fine, but I'll still rank my personal favorites higher.  This role features her film debut, that obviously lead to an astounding career. It is also a classic movie that I cannot watch without wanting to hide.

MEGAN: 3

WALLACE: 10

19 minutes ago, totes4totes said:

Wow sorry that you had to see parts of a really incredible movie! Maybe you should actually watch the entire thing!!!!!

Nah I'm good fam.

17 minutes ago, FrogLenzen said:

200.gif

Live shot of Megan loading up her exclamation points for all the threads tonight

:dead: 

17 minutes ago, QueenKalie said:

Wally didn't do a good enough job tanking Halloween I guess. :dead:

Lol i actually wasn't trying to. But maybe I should have. :dead: 

13 minutes ago, FrogLenzen said:

Also, the betrayal of Wally tanking True Lies... I need to go stab my voodoo doll of Courtney Galiano now

It didn't do much for me. :ph34rwave:You leave Courtney's name out of your mouth. 🙂 

4 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

Ohh lol does he I guess I wasn't paying attention. Last I saw there was like 4 and Steven was asking for more.

Oooh I see. :lmao: But yeah a few more people signed up after that. :haha: 

4 minutes ago, Alex95 said:

I looooove Knives Out, but I'd probably take Ana de Armas, Chris Evans, Toni Collette, and Daniel Craig over JLC.

JLC was by far my favourite cast member in it, but I also would've felt weird ranking it higher since she wasn't one of the bigger parts in it. :haha: