Actors & Actresses Rankdowns 2.0 (Winner Posted)

Steven_

15. SARA - COLD MOUNTAIN (2003)

From Wikipedia: "The film tells the story of a wounded deserter from the Confederate army (played by Jude Law) close to the end of the American Civil War, who journeys home to reunite with the woman he loves (played by Nicole Kidman)." Natalie Portman plays Sara, a grieving young widow who meets Jude Law's character on his journey back home. Cold Mountain was "a critical and commercial success grossing over $173 million and receiving seven nominations at the 76th Academy Awards."

CHRIS - 10 - Always forget she's in this.

DEE - 11 - Such a boring film, and her role is pretty minor.

MEGAN - 12 - This is a good movie but I don't remember her in it?

ALEX - 13 - Natalie Portman getting raped and tortured? "After a long day of work I don't want to see that!!" -Valerie Cherish -Me

ANDY - 13 - I didn't even realize she was in this movie lol I haven't seen it in years.

KALEY - 13 - Putting it on the lower side even though it’s a great movie because her role in it is relatively small. But she gives an amazing performance in her limited time.

QK - 13 -

14. PADMÉ AMIDALA - STAR WARS: EPISODE II – ATTACK OF THE CLONES (2002)

From Wikipedia: "Set ten years after the events in The Phantom Menace, the galaxy is on the brink of civil war, with thousands of planetary systems threatening to secede from the Galactic Republic. After Senator Padmé Amidala evades an assassination attempt, Jedi apprentice Anakin Skywalker becomes her protector, while his mentor Obi-Wan Kenobi investigates the attempt on her life. Soon, the trio witness the onset of a new threat to the galaxy: the Clone Wars." Natalie Portman plays Padmé Amidala, the former Queen of Naboo, who has recently been elected the planet's Senator and Anakin's love interest. "The film was praised for an increased emphasis on action, visual effects, musical score, and costume design but heavily criticized for the screenplay, Christensen's performance, romantic scenes, overabundance of CGI and green screen and underdeveloped characters. It performed well in the box office, making over $653 million worldwide."

ALEX - 8 - Ewan McGregor and Natalie Portman slayed the prequels and I'm not afraid to admit it!!!

CHRIS - 9 - a princess but never big fan of the movies.

QK - 10 -

ANDY - 11 - lmaoooo w/e I'm glad it made the final vote. #truelovewins

DEE - 15 - Yikes.

KALEY - 15 -  I love Star Wars, but this one is not one of my favs.

MEGAN - 15 - This movie is indescribably awful. Not even Natalie Portman is good in it.

13. ANNE BOLEYN - THE OTHER BOLEYN GIRL (2008)

From Wikipedia: "It is a fictionalised account of the lives of 16th-century aristocrats Mary Boleyn, one-time mistress of King Henry VIII, and her sister, Anne, who became the monarch's ill-fated second wife, though much history is distorted." In addition, "Portman was attracted to the role because it was a character that she 'hadn’t played before', and describes Anne as 'strong, yet she can be vulnerable and she's ambitious and calculating and will step on people but also feels remorse for it.'" The film received mixed reviews, with Rotten Tomatoes saying "Though it features some extravagant and entertaining moments, The Other Boleyn Girl feels more like a soap opera than historical drama."

CHRIS - 7 - Underrated role.

MEGAN - 9 -

ANDY - 10 -

KALEY - 12 - One of her weaker films, but I still enjoyed it. It was visually nice to look at. Her performance was solid.

DEE - 13 - Not very good.

QK - 14 -

ALEX - 15 - Doesn't look like a movie for me.

12. MARTY - BEAUTIFUL GIRLS (1996)

From Wikipedia: "Its story follows New York jazz pianist Willie Conway, as he heads back to his hometown of Knights Ridge, Massachusetts for his high school reunion, where he finds his friends evaluating their lives and relationships." Natalie Portman plays Marty, a 13 year-old neighbor. She is "a witty, self-described 'old soul' who connects with Willie." In addition, a review in The Washington Post praised Natalie Portman's performance, saying "the movie's most poignant and witty presence."

QK - 7 -

DEE - 8 - Steals the entire movie with her performance! Not talked about enough!

ANDY - 9 -

KALEY - 10 - She had a lot of talent as an actress at a young age. For how little she was in this movie, she stole many of the scenes.

MEGAN - 10 -

ALEX - 14 - Idk I see her flirting with some old dude (or he's flirting with her). I've never seen the movie but it's not ideal.

CHRIS - 14 - Don't recall ever seeing it.

11. ANN AUGUST - ANYWHERE BUT HERE (1999)

From Wikipedia: "Adele August (Susan Sarandon) is an eccentric woman who, with her reluctant daughter, Ann (Natalie Portman), leaves a small Wisconsin town and moves to Beverly Hills to realize her dreams. However, it becomes apparent that Adele is uncertain of what those dreams are – expressing ideas such as marrying a rich man – and often makes irresponsible and impulsive decisions, such as purchasing a used Mercedes she cannot afford in order to drive to Beverly Hills. While upset with Adele's decisions, the more practical Ann finds she cannot leave her mother and resents her for leaving Ann's stepfather for a better life. Furthermore, Ann still loves her father, who left her family when Ann was still young." According to Rotten Tomatoes, "The strong chemistry between Susan Sarandon and Natalie Portman as a mother and daughter trying to make a fresh start in L.A. helps to elevate Anywhere But Here above its occasional forays into melodrama."

KALEY - 5 -  Sorry. Guilty pleasure alert. I’ve always loved this movie. The story is definitely one that’s been done before, with a grounded daughter attempting to relate to a flakey mother, but the chemistry between Natalie and Susan Sarandon help it to stand out. I don’t anticipate this to rank very high overall, but I’m putting it here.

DEE - 9 - Portman has been killing it for over two decades! Really good movie that I have not seen in years.

QK - 9 -

ALEX - 11 - Mother/daughter Susan Sarandon and Natalie Portman road trip movie :wub:. Never saw though. 

MEGAN - 11 - 

ANDY - 12 -

CHRIS - 13 - Don't recall ever seeing it.

Edited by Steven_

Just now, #jeah said:

QK’s #15 not showing up yet and me remembering that he tanked the frontrunner of Brie Larson’s round 👀👀

Lol I've been operating under the assumption he put Black Swan at 15. I'm just hoping it won't matter if everyone else ranks it top three or so like Chris with Deadpool.

10. GRACE CAHILL - BROTHERS (2009)

From Wikipedia: Described as a psychological drama war film, "it follows Captain Sam Cahill (portrayed by Tobey Maguire), a presumed-dead prisoner of the War in Afghanistan who deals with post-traumatic stress while reintegrating into society following his release from captivity. The film also stars Jake Gyllenhaal as Cahill's brother and Natalie Portman as his wife. Both films take inspiration from Homer's epic poem, the Odyssey." According to Rotten Tomatoes, "It plays more like a traditional melodrama than the Susanne Bier film that inspired it, but Jim Sheridan's Brothers benefits from rock-solid performances by its three leads."

QK - 3 -

ALEX - 6 - "YOU'RE JUST MAD BECAUSE MOM WOULD RATHER SLEEP WITH UNCLE TOMMY THAN YOU! MOM AND UNCLE TOMMY HAVE SEX ALL THE TIME!" I think about that line at least once a week.

CHRIS - 6 - I totally forgot about this movie but I really enjoyed it.

DEE - 12 - I hate war movies tbh. She is perfectly serviceable in this film.

MEGAN - 13 -

KALEY - 14 - Honestly, I don’t think I’ve ever seen this. I remember seeing the previews back when it first came out and I was always interested. Maybe someday.

ANDY - 15 -

9. JANE FOSTER - THOR (2011)

From Wikipedia: In the fourth film of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, "After reigniting a dormant war, Thor is banished from Asgard to Earth, stripped of his powers and his hammer Mjölnir. As his brother Loki plots to take the Asgardian throne, Thor must prove himself worthy." Natalie Portman plays Jane Foster, a scientist and Thor's love interest. When asked why she took the role, Portman replied, "I just thought it sounded like a weird idea because Kenneth Branagh's directing it, so I was just like, 'Kenneth Branagh doing Thor is super-weird, I've gotta do it.'" Portman stated that she really wanted to do a big effects film that emphasized character, and getting to do it with Branagh was a new way of approaching it, relative to Star Wars. Portman also says "She's a very serious scientist. Because in the comic she's a nurse and now they made her an astrophysicist. Really, I know it sounds silly, but it is those little things that makes girls think it's possible. It doesn't give them a [role] model of 'Oh, I just have to dress cute in movies." According to Rotten Tomatoes, "A dazzling blockbuster that tempers its sweeping scope with wit, humor, and human drama, Thor is mighty Marvel entertainment."

QK - 2 -

KALEY - 6 - Solidly in the upper-middle for me of this group of movies.

MEGAN - 8 -

DEE - 10 - I love so much of her work that her performance as Jane Foster lands here. The role is insignificant, but she elevates the role with her performance.

ALEX - 12 - Chris Hemsworth and Natalie Portman are too hot to have so little chemistry.

ANDY - 14 - Don't like her in this.

CHRIS - 15 - a marvel movie, do I need to say more?

8. PADMÉ AMIDALA - STAR WARS: EPISODE III – REVENGE OF THE SITH (2005)

From Wikipedia: "Revenge of the Sith is set three years after the onset of the Clone Wars, established in Star Wars: Episode II – Attack of the Clones (2002). The Jedi are spread across the galaxy, leading a large-scale war against the Separatists. After Count Dooku is killed, the Jedi Council dispatches Obi-Wan Kenobi to eliminate General Grievous, the leader of the Separatist army, and put an end to the war. Meanwhile, after having premonitions of his wife Padmé Amidala dying in childbirth, Anakin Skywalker is tasked by the Council to spy on Palpatine, the Supreme Chancellor of the Galactic Republic and, secretly, a Sith lord known as Darth Sidious. Palpatine manipulates Anakin into turning to the dark side of the Force and becoming his apprentice, Darth Vader, with wide-ranging consequences for the galaxy." In addition, "The film is generally considered to be the best of the Star Wars prequels. It broke several box office records during its opening week and went on to earn over $868 million worldwide, making it the second-highest-grossing film in the Star Wars franchise at the time. It was the highest-grossing film in the U.S. and the second-highest-grossing film worldwide in 2005. The film also holds the record for the highest opening day gross on a Thursday, making $50 million."

ALEX - 3 - If I somehow sneak this into the top 10 my work here is done.

QK - 5 -

ANDY - 8 - I actually love this movie hahah but I recognize it's objectively not great and the dialogue they gave to Natalie was TERRIBLE and the chemistry between her and Hayden was TERRIBLE. But I don't care I loved her in it lmao.

tenor.gif?itemid=5413122

CHRIS - 8 - a princess but never big fan of the movies.

KALEY - 8 - I definitely prefer this to the other Star Wars movies on her list.

DEE - 14 - Yikes.

MEGAN - 14 - It's not last because Attack of the Clones got through. SMH.

7. JACKIE KENNEDY - JACKIE (2016)

From Wikipedia: "The film follows Jackie Kennedy in the days when she was First Lady in the White House and her life immediately following the assassination of her husband, United States President John F. Kennedy, in 1963. It is partly based on Theodore H. White's Life magazine interview with the widow at Hyannis Port, Massachusetts, in November 1963." In preparation for the role, "Portman studied Jackie Kennedy extensively by watching videos of her, repeatedly watching White House tour recordings, reading books, and listening to audiotapes of her interviews. While doing research, she found out that Kennedy had two personas in front of different people – a debutante in public but feisty behind closed doors. 'When she was doing interviews, [her voice] was a lot more girly and soft, and then when you hear her talking to Schlesinger at home, you hear the ice in the glass clinking and the voice is a little deeper and her wit comes out more, so you get this real sense of the two sides.'" According to Rotten Tomatoes, "Jackie offers an alluring peek into a beloved American public figure's private world — and an enthralling starring performance from Natalie Portman in the bargain."

CHRIS - 3 - boring movie but her portrayal of Jackie is amazing.

ANDY - 4 - She nails this role! The movie could have just been her talking in Jackie's voice for two hours straight and i would have loved it haha that's how good she is.

MEGAN - 5 -

DEE - 6 - The range in this performance! From resilient to broken to fierce to messy to nakedly raw. Not my kind of film, but the strength of this performance sold me.

ALEX - 9 - Amazing performance, but boring movie. Definitely a top five performance, but I don't want it to win.

KALEY - 11 - Never saw this movie, so by default it winds up here. The clips I saw of her looked really good.

QK - 15 -

6. CELESTE - VOX LUX (2018)

From a review in The Guardian: "Natalie Portman stars in the thrilling, chilling tale of a teenager who becomes a sensation after a horrific event at her school." According to Rotten Tomatoes, "Intriguing albeit flawed, Vox Lux probes the allures and pitfalls of modern celebrity with sharp intelligence and visual style, all held together by an assured Natalie Portman performance." According to Variety magazine, praise was given to Natalie Portman for her performance and they called the film "a bold, often brilliant trip through the celebrity spin cycle."

ANDY - 3 - i have so many thoughts about this movie haha but Natalie is unreal here, she was such a convincing pop star except lmao her concert scenes at the end are so laughable.

MEGAN - 4 -

CHRIS - 5 - amazing acting from Natalie in this movie.

ALEX - 7 - Lol what's Natalie Portman and Jude Law's deal why are they always working together?? I never saw it but I'm obsessed with literally every single thing she did in the trailer.

DEE - 7 - A really vivid performance of a human stuck in the spotlight, in the worst of ways. Super great performance, everybody should watch this movie just for her!

Kaley - 9 - Actually wasn’t able to watch this before the rankings, but I did find a bunch of clips of her performance and it does look amazing.

QK - 11 -

5. LENA - ANNIHILATION (2018)

From Wikipedia: "The story follows a group of scientists who enter "The Shimmer", a mysterious quarantined zone of mutating plants and animals caused by an alien presence." According to Rotten Tomatoes, "Annihilation backs up its sci-fi visual wonders and visceral genre thrills with an impressively ambitious—and surprisingly strange—exploration of challenging themes that should leave audiences pondering long after the end credits roll."

MEGAN - 1 -

ALEX - 4 - I don't want it to win since Tessa already won for this movie...but if she did win it would be so deserving if Black Swan didn't exist.

KALEY - 4 - Visually really cool, and an interesting concept. Combines suspense and sci-fi in a really cool way.

DEE - 5 - One of my favorite films ever. I would normally rank this higher, but since it already snagged a win during the Tessa round, I am going to focus on supporting her other super iconic roles. But this could win a second time and I would be very fine with that result.

ANDY - 7 - I watched this because everyone said it was so amazing...I will say for now that Natalie was a great lead here and it was very intriguing lmao #diplomatic.

CHRIS - 11 - a threat to win so ranking it low.

QK - 12 -

4. SAMANTHA - GARDEN STATE (2004)

From Wikipedia: "The film centers on Andrew Largeman (Braff), a 26-year-old actor/waiter who returns to his hometown in New Jersey after his mother dies." As for Natalie Portman's character description: "an eccentric epileptic and compulsive liar, who openly admits to her casual dishonesty and frequently ponders what makes her do it. She says she works at a law office as a paralegal (although we never see her at work, or going to or coming from work), and lives with her equally peculiar mother and her adopted African sibling, Titembay." According to Rotten Tomatoes, "Delivering a quirky spin on familiar twentysomething tropes -- with a cannily-placed soundtrack -- Garden State has enough charm to mark a winning debut for first-time director Zach Braff." However, "Natalie Portman's character has been used as prime example of the Manic Pixie Dream Girl trope, since the term was coined."

DEE - 2 - One of the greatest films that I have ever watched. Sam Feehan is an icon 🤎

KALEY - 3 - One of her quintessential roles. It’s been a few years since I’ve seen this movie, but she’s great in it.

QK - 4 -

ANDY - 5 - Adorable movie, love Natalie in this one!

MEGAN - 7 -

ALEX - 10 - I like Scrubs but lowkey I don't trust Zach Braff with that much power behind the camera or in front of it.

CHRIS - 12 - okay.

3. ALICE - CLOSER (2004)

From Wikipedia: "The film, like the play on which it is based, has been seen by some as a modern and tragic version of Mozart's opera Così fan tutte, with references to the opera in both the plot and the soundtrack. The film was recognized with a number of awards and nominations, including Oscar nominations and Golden Globe wins for both Natalie Portman and Clive Owen for their performances in supporting roles." In a review on the Allmovie website, Natalie Portman "understands [her character] inside and out" and affirming that "[w]ith his superior timing, Nichols allows each of these actors to hit every funny, cruel, and intimate moment in the script".

ANDY - 2 - she's in the movie the least out of the four leads, but she is by far the most memorable character imo and it's fully because Natalie sucks you in with every scene that she's in.

CHRIS - 2 - Amazing movie & great acting.

KALEY - 2 - I was very excited to see this movie get saved early on because I loved a lot of her movies, but this was going to be my first choice to save since I wasn’t sure what other people thought of it. I feel like you either love it or you hate it. I’m a fan, and I really enjoyed Natalie’s performance especially.

DEE - 4 - Tbh she deserved the Oscar over Cate Blanchett this year. This performance is so troubling that it's compelling. An amazing film. 

ALEX - 5 - Messy af movie, but I do love Portman's performance!

MEGAN - 6 -

QK - 8 -

2. EVEY HAMMOND - V FOR VENDETTA (2005)

From Wikipedia: "Set in an alternative future where a Nordic supremacist and neo-fascist totalitarian regime has subjugated the United Kingdom, the film centers on V (portrayed by Hugo Weaving), an anarchist and masked freedom fighter who attempts to ignite a revolution through elaborate terrorist acts, while Natalie Portman plays Evey, a young, working-class woman caught up in V's mission and Stephen Rea portrays a detective leading a desperate quest to stop V." According to Rotten Tomatoes, "Visually stunning and thought-provoking, V For Vendetta's political pronouncements may rile some, but its story and impressive set pieces will nevertheless entertain." "V for Vendetta received few awards, although at the 2007 Saturn Awards Natalie Portman won the Best Actress award."

QK - 1 -

ALEX - 2 - I think this was my first non-Star Wars movie I saw with Natalie Portman and it made me begin paying attention to her (and I'm so glad I have now).

DEE - 3 - Bald Natalie Portman is very hot. Here is one of my favorite scenes in cinema:

MEGAN - 3 -

CHRIS - 4 - One of her trademark roles.

ANDY - 6 - Classic movie that I find a bit boring personally but I stayed invested because of Natalie tbh.

KALEY - 7 - I know this should be higher. It’s a great movie, but not one I connected with like a lot of the others or feel the desire to rewatch often.

1. NINA SAYERS - BLACK SWAN (2010)

From Wikipedia: "The plot revolves around a production of Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake ballet by the New York City Ballet company. The production requires a ballerina to play the innocent and fragile White Swan, for which the committed dancer Nina (Portman) is a perfect fit, as well as the dark and sensual Black Swan, which are qualities better embodied by the new rival Lily (Kunis). Nina is overwhelmed by a feeling of immense pressure when she finds herself competing for the part, causing her to lose her tenuous grip on reality and descend into madness." According to Rotten Tomatoes, "Bracingly intense, passionate, and wildly melodramatic, Black Swan glides on Darren Aronofsky's bold direction—and a bravura performance from Natalie Portman." In a review in Screen Daily, "[She] is captivating as Nina ... she captures the confusion of a repressed young woman thrown into a world of danger and temptation with frightening veracity." In addition from Wikipedia, "Critics praised Portman's performance and Aronofsky's direction, while the film grossed over $329 million worldwide. It received five nominations at the 83rd Academy Awards: Best Picture, Best Director, Best Cinematography, Best Film Editing and winning Best Actress (for Portman)."

ALEX - 1 - Another one of my all-time favorite film or tv performances. A flawless performance in a flawless movie.

ANDY - 1 - a masterclass in acting. the movie works because of her convincingly terrifying performance. one of my favorite performances ever tbh.

CHRIS - 1 - flawless.

DEE - 1 - Easily in my top five favorite film performances of all-time. That will never change. Chills every single time.

KALEY - 1 - From the time this round was announced I knew this one would be my favorite. Love it!

MEGAN - 2 - One of my top celebrity conspiracy theories is that Darren Aronofsky is the father of Natalie Portman's child.

QK - 6 -

Edited by Steven_

Just now, totes4totes said:

i know i ranked black swan 2 but i think it's overrated. i think natalie portman is a good actress who has been in a lot of overrated movies!

I preferred Mila in it tbh :ph34rwave:

1 minute ago, totes4totes said:

i know i ranked black swan 2 but i think it's overrated. i think natalie portman is a good actress who has been in a lot of overrated movies!

I loved both Mila and Natalie in the movie and I really like the  movie in general. But it do like other movies more.