Crisis On Hand: An American Idol Finalists Ranking List

Crisis

9 minutes ago, mytake1 said:

Catie is just under rated on IDF.  But IDF is all about baby divas, belters.  Not artists, musicians or those that are unique.  I already know that Alejandro and Arthur will be rated very low.  And someone like Jessica Sanchez will be very high, even though her post show career sucks.

These rankings specifically deal with the contestant's performance on the show. Therefore, Jessica's post-show career will not matter. Don't take this the wrong way though, I loved Catie Turner. She was very fun, and had the best artistry out of everyone that season! 👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bk1234 said:

As to the hints, I have absolutely no clue! 😆 

Wait, is this Quentin Alexander? I feel like he had an issue with Joey Cook's elimination and he was then eliminated the week after.

I'm currently working on the next set now and should have it up within a couple of hours. All should be revealed then. ;)

These rankings specifically deal with the contestant's performance on the show. Therefore, Jessica's post-show career will not matter. Don't take this the wrong way though, I loved Catie Turner. She was very fun, and had the best artistry out of everyone that season! 👍

It's important to look at why certain contestants who were great on the show - but tank afterwards.  Likewise, it's worthwhile to acknowledge contestants who may not have been great at karaoke covers - but manage to launch good careers afterwards.   And it's ultimately the latter that counts.

Edited by mytake1

57 minutes ago, mytake1 said:

It's important to look at why certain contestants who were great on the show - but tank afterwards.  Likewise, it's worthwhile to acknowledge contestants who may not have been great at karaoke covers - but manage to launch good careers afterwards.   And it's ultimately the latter that counts.

I totally understand your point. In the end, the ones who find success really are the great ones. As I am new to IDF, I was unaware of the favoritism of belters. Personally, I really liked Phillip Phillips because he showed what mattered. He didn't care about the glam, he just wanted to deliver the music. He was probably more likable and more relatable than Jessica. 

Edited by Bk1234
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, KelseyW said:

That's my fan bias talking by the way. lol In regards to Catie.

These rankings are cool though. I may be a little defensive on some, but not many. I actually agree with a lot of these placements! :P 

I completely understand about the fan bias and being defensive. In the early seasons, I had a few snowflakes which I would get absolutely triggered should any negative thing be said about them (I was young and immature then). Now, while I'll still defend them from time to time, I just shrug my shoulders and move on. I learned the most important thing is if you like the contestants, continue to support them in their endeavors and pay little mind to anything negative said about them, including the douchebag who created this list. 😄

Speaking of the list, nice to see no hard feelings and that you agree with a lot of the placements.

• Like 1

As promised, here is the new set.

150. Mikalah Gordon: Season 4 (11th Place)

mikalah.jpg

Leading off this set is Mikalah Gordon. To be honest, I have no idea how I let her get this high because I never really cared for her. She managed to slip through the cracks (in hindsight I would probably rank her in the 160s or 170s. Still she would be higher than Constantine and Scott) but not anymore. Anyway, Mikalah was this loud, sassy teenager who was more known for her personality and banter with the judges than her singing. Personally, I thought she was more annoying than endearing, but I guess that’s who Mikalah was. Speaking of her singing, I’ll go ahead and talk about her time on Idol. I didn’t really like Young Hearts Run Free, especially the talking in the middle of the song. Her next performance God Bless the Child was easily her best. Unfortunately, her subsequent performances were, quite frankly, bad. Somewhere was out of tune and she looked unsure of herself. Son of a Preacher Man while energetic, had a lot of bad notes throughout the performance. As for Love Will Lead You Back, it was easy to see how that would be her final performance; it was the worst of the worst. After Idol, I know she was a co-host of American Idol Extra as well as being a correspondent on a couple of AI finales. I don’t know if she’s still singing; if she is, best of luck to her.

Clue: Said to share similarities to a television character (she was often compared to Fran Drescher's the Nanny character)

149. MacKenzie Bourg: Season 15 (4th Place)

7433058.jpeg

Next up is MacKenzie Bourg. I remember MacKenzie from S3 of The Voice (one of the few seasons I watched all the way through) where he was a member of Cee-Lo’s team. I believe he was one of the first one’s cut. Four years later, he resurfaced on Idol where he obviously fared better, making it all the way to fourth place. MacKenzie had a pleasant voice despite lacking range, but to his credit he made it work for him. Unfortunately, he wasn’t a very compelling performer. Most of the time he would take whatever song he did and rearrange it to fit his style. The problem was whenever he did this, it took away what made the original the song it is in the first place. The two biggest examples were I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me) and Titanium. He had no where near the voice to do those songs justice, so I understand why he changed them up. However, he may have been better off picking different songs. With that said, I did like a couple of performances from him such as his original Roses and I See Fire. Also, I kind of liked his I Hope You Dance duet with Lauren Alaina, though he looked completely uncomfortable with Lauren hitting on him and everything. Nonetheless, at the end of the day, to me MacKenzie was a weaker, better-looking Alex Preston.

Clue: Team Cee-Lo (referring to his time on The Voice)

148. Lil Rounds: Season 8 (7th Place)

Lil_Rounds.jpg

Up next is Lil Rounds. At the beginning of the season, it was of thought that the show was pushing for a Danny, Adam, and Lil Top 3. Each of the three got the pimp spot in their respective groups, and all three were voted into the finals. While Danny and Adam managed to navigate their way to the Top 3 with few bumps (maybe one big one for Danny, but it obviously didn’t affect him that much), Lil took a wrong turn somewhere and got lost, unable to set her Idol GPS correctly. She started off strong with her performance of Be Without You in the semis. Once in the finals, she gave a very solid performance of The Way You Make Me Feel. After that, however, things rapidly went downhill for Lil. She struggled with the rest of her performances and consequently, the judges started criticizing her more frequently. Apparently, Lil didn’t take too kindly to the criticism as she would freak out and get defensive, plus she wasn’t above arguing with the judges. She was just someone who didn't know how to play the Idol game. Eventually, her self-destruction would lead to a seventh place finish, which had to have been disappointing for her considering the expectations placed on her shoulders at the beginning of the season.

Clue: Talk about a crash and burn...

147. Jacob Lusk: Season 10 (5th Place)

MV5BMTM5MTgzNDQ5MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTU2NDE2NA@@._V1_.jpg

I think it’s about time to add some Lusky Stank to this list. To me Jacob was the most technically proficient singer of the males in S10, and when he was on his game, he was capable of magic. Two examples are A House Is Not A Home and You’re All I Need To Get By. When he was off, however, oh boy. His bad performances could be used in interrogations; I’m fairly certain suspects will confess to any crime after having to listen to them. When he tried to belt, it was excruciating. It was as if he was EJay Day on steroids. Some of the worst included I Believe I Can Fly, Alone, and Oh No Not My Baby. Of course, no Jacob write-up would be complete without mentioning the hot mess that was No Air. If Jordin listened to this and decided to no longer clear her songs for Idol, I wouldn’t blame her one bit. His other song that evening, Love Hurts, wasn’t much better. Finally, can’t forget about his pre-performance video before Man in the Mirror where he said if he ended up in the B3, it would be because America couldn’t look at themselves in the mirror. Of course, he was in the B3, and an evil part of me wanted him to be eliminated for the comeuppance. Overall, if Jacob had better control of his voice, I most likely would’ve enjoyed him more than I did.

Clue: Maybe it wasn't a good idea to lecture voters prior to performing...

146. Sanjaya Malakar: Season 6 (7th Place)

0002612435_10.jpg

@CarmenSandiego was wondering when Sanjaya would make his appearance. Well, the wait is finally over! What is there to say about Sanjaya? He started off as this shy kid who had a hard time projecting his voice on stage who eventually went on to become the biggest troll in Idol history. If I were being more objective, he would be about 30-40 spots lower than this. However, I won’t pretend I didn’t enjoy some of his antics on the show. In fact, I thought about ranking him higher, but this is as far as I decided to carry him. From his many hairstyles and silly performances, Simon threatening to quit should he have won, Howard Stern encouraging his listeners to vote for him, and the fan who went on a hunger strike to protest his existence in the competition, there certainly was no shortage of things to talk about regarding Sanjaya. Personally, I found the hysteria surrounding him amusing. He may not have been the best vocalist, but he certainly wasn’t the worst the show has ever had. Anyway, on to his journey. He initially auditioned with his older sister Shyamali; both made it to Hollywood where of course she was cut, and he made it through. His first semifinal performance of Knocks Me Off My Feet wasn’t too bad; it was just boring. I know You Really Got Me is considered to be where he started trolling. However, I think Steppin’ Out with My Baby was where it all began. There was no way he thought he could perform the way he did and expect to be taken seriously. :haha: Of course, things got better from there with the two biggest performances being the aforementioned You Really Got Me and Bathwater. The former introduced the world to Crying Girl, and the latter had the infamous pony hawk. Two weeks after Bathwater, he decided to be somewhat serious and gave his best performance in the competition with Besame Mucho. The following week would be his last after a terrible performance of Something to Talk About. It wasn’t even funny bad; it was awful bad. I couldn’t disagree with his elimination although a part of me wondered what he would’ve had in store for Idol Gives Back. With that said, although I enjoyed S6 as a whole, it was less interesting after his departure. Either way, Sanjaya certainly gave people something to talk about.

Clue: The man, the myth, the legend (Of course :haha:)

150. Mikalah Gordon

149. MacKenzie Bourg

148. Lil Rounds

147. Jacob Lusk

146. Sanjaya Malakar

For the upcoming set:

• Wanted to be the male Taylor Swift
  • Was the recipient of one of Simon's most memorable critiques
  • Family man
  • Big voice in a tiny body
  • May have been the inspiration behind the creation of a certain website
On 6/14/2020 at 7:19 PM, Bk1234 said:

@Crisis When I saw you posted I got so excited because I thought you posted the rankings... 😣

Sorry about that. :haha: Well, they're here now!

Edited by Crisis

9 minutes ago, Crisis said:

150. Mikalah Gordon

149. MacKenzie Bourg

148. Lil Rounds

147. Jacob Lusk

146. Sanjaya Malakar

My thoughts on your rankings:

Mikalah Gordon- No comment.

MacKenzie Bourg- I really liked this guy. I thought him changing up the songs and performing originals proved that he wanted to be HIMSELF. (I guess you ranked him too low?) The Alex Preston comparison is perfect though! 😂

Lil Rounds- I found it funny that you mentioned Adam, Danny, and Lil as who the producers wanted to win, and none of them did! 😂 (Well one came close...)

Jacob Lusk- I agree with you. It was either really good or really bad for me. 

Sanjaya Malakar- No comment. 

8 hours ago, Bk1234 said:

Wait, is this Quentin Alexander? I feel like he had an issue with Joey Cook's elimination and he was then eliminated the week after.

If I remember correctly, he made the mistake of arguing with Harry Connick, Jr.  And you really shouldn’t argue with any of the judges, even if they are acting like jerks.  All arguing with them does is make you look bad in the eyes of the voting audience.

I actually agree with those rankings. so far season 7 has the least lowest placed. not a surprise. 

let me try again with your clues: 

• Wanted to be the male Taylor Swift - 
  • Was the recipient of one of Simon's most memorable critiques - is it the ginger kid in season 3 that made simon give the analogy of ice cream and onion? damn it was the funniest comment of simon. 
  • Family man - the big black dude in season 9. michael lynch something.
  • Big voice in a tiny body - holly cavanagh.. 
  • May have been the inspiration behind the creation of a certain website - 

9 hours ago, CarmenSandiego said:

If I remember correctly, he made the mistake of arguing with Harry Connick, Jr.  And you really shouldn’t argue with any of the judges, even if they are acting like jerks.  All arguing with them does is make you look bad in the eyes of the voting audience.

I think this is what it was. Thank you for reminding me! 😊 Yeah, arguing with judges usually doesn't end well...

Quick post before I head to work:

11 hours ago, Bk1234 said:

My thoughts on your rankings:

Mikalah Gordon- No comment.

MacKenzie Bourg- I really liked this guy. I thought him changing up the songs and performing originals proved that he wanted to be HIMSELF. (I guess you ranked him too low?) The Alex Preston comparison is perfect though! 😂

Lil Rounds- I found it funny that you mentioned Adam, Danny, and Lil as who the producers wanted to win, and none of them did! 😂 (Well one came close...)

Jacob Lusk- I agree with you. It was either really good or really bad for me. 

Sanjaya Malakar- No comment. 

MacKenzie: I absolutely agree he wanted to be himself. However, it doesn't necessarily make for an interesting performer, though it would be better outside of Idol. Glad you liked my Alex Preston comparison! 😁

Lil: Yeah, it was pretty funny none of the three won, which I didn't mind.

Jacob: Yeah, he was definitely hit or miss

11 hours ago, Bk1234 said:

I hope this isn't Hollie Cavanagh because I loved her and I think that would be too low. 😣

10 hours ago, blackfield said:

I actually agree with those rankings. so far season 7 has the least lowest placed. not a surprise. 

let me try again with your clues: 

• Wanted to be the male Taylor Swift - 
  • Was the recipient of one of Simon's most memorable critiques - is it the ginger kid in season 3 that made simon give the analogy of ice cream and onion? damn it was the funniest comment of simon. 
  • Family man - the big black dude in season 9. michael lynch something.
  • Big voice in a tiny body - holly cavanagh.. 
  • May have been the inspiration behind the creation of a certain website - 

Solid guesses. We'll see if they're right or not...

28 minutes ago, Crisis said:

MacKenzie: I absolutely agree he wanted to be himself. However, it doesn't necessarily make for an interesting performer, though it would be better outside of Idol. Glad you liked my Alex Preston comparison! 😁

I'll agree to disagree for MacKenzie. I actually re-watched his performance of "Titanium," and while it was not the best cover of the song I've ever heard, it was nice to see that he adapted it to make it his own. 

Edited by Bk1234

5 hours ago, Bk1234 said:

I'll agree to disagree for MacKenzie. I actually re-watched his performance of "Titanium," and while it was not the best cover of the song I've ever heard, it was nice to see that he adapted it to make it his own. 

We can agree to disagree about MacKenzie. It's fine to see different perspectives about contestants. There may be some contestants I like you may think I'm crazy about liking them. 😄

4 hours ago, x3 because of u said:

Mikalah ❤️ One of my faves but definitely because of personality haha. I really liked her audition but unfortunately she only really did well with God Bless the Child.

I can't say I agree about her personality, but her audition and God Bless the Child were her highlights.

I’d actually have put Sanjaya lower in the rankings, but it’s a good enough spot for him.

It’s good to want to be yourself, but you have to be adaptable and pick songs that can be arranged to fit your style and do justice to the original song in the first place.  Arthur Gunn failed to do that with “Take Me Home, Country Roads”, and had the coronavirus not shortened the season, mistakes like that one would probably have caused him to miss the finale.

6 minutes ago, CarmenSandiego said:

I’d actually have put Sanjaya lower in the rankings, but it’s a good enough spot for him.

It’s good to want to be yourself, but you have to be adaptable and pick songs that can be arranged to fit your style and do justice to the original song in the first place.  Arthur Gunn failed to do that with “Take Me Home, Country Roads”, and had the coronavirus not shortened the season, mistakes like that one would probably have caused him to miss the finale.

Oh don't remind me about "Take Me Home, Country Roads"... 🤮 I don't know if it would have caused him to miss the finale, but maybe... 🤔

Edited by Bk1234

160. Ada Vox

159. Walker Burroughs

158. Kristen O'Connor

157. Lacey Brown

156. Brandon Rogers

Aw, Walker was one of my favorites of his season, but I can understand your comments. I liked Brandon, but did end up rather disappointed with his time on the live shows. I wasn't a fan of the others. 

155. Charles Grigsby

154. Shannon Magrane

153. Jorge Nuñez

152. Jeremy Rosado

151. Catie Turner

Not a huge Catie fan, but I liked the others all somewhat. None my favorites of the season or anything, but I liked them.  I thought Shannon had a lot of potential, and absolutely loved Jeremy's performance of "I Know You Won't." ❤️ 😢 

150. Mikalah Gordon

149. MacKenzie Bourg

148. Lil Rounds

147. Jacob Lusk

146. Sanjaya Malakar

MacKenzie was one of my favorites his season and Sanjaya is an Idol legend :giggle: but don't care so much for the others.  A lot of your comments in this set cracked me up! About Lil: "unable to set her Idol GPS correctly." :lmao: Yikes. I do remember her seeming like such a front runner and then... she wasn't.  LOL about Jacob: "His bad performances could be used in interrogations" :lmao: But YESS I was hoping you'd mention the needing to look in the mirror comment! :dead:  It's what I always think about when I think of him. Hilarious. And LOL "He started off as this shy kid who had a hard time projecting his voice on stage who eventually went on to become the biggest troll in Idol history. " :dead: I love your Sanjaya write-up. He really does have a nice voice and brought truly iconic moments to the show. :haha: 

I haven't had a lot of ideas for the clues, but a couple things came to mind on these... 

• Big voice in a tiny body: Ramiele Malubay?
  • May have been the inspiration behind the creation of a certain website: I'm thinking the website is VFTW but I don't know who inspired it... John Stevens?

2 hours ago, miss denise said:

Aw, Walker was one of my favorites of his season, but I can understand your comments. I liked Brandon, but did end up rather disappointed with his time on the live shows. I wasn't a fan of the others. 

Not a huge Catie fan, but I liked the others all somewhat. None my favorites of the season or anything, but I liked them.  I thought Shannon had a lot of potential, and absolutely loved Jeremy's performance of "I Know You Won't." ❤️ 😢 

MacKenzie was one of my favorites his season and Sanjaya is an Idol legend :giggle: but don't care so much for the others.  A lot of your comments in this set cracked me up! About Lil: "unable to set her Idol GPS correctly." :lmao: Yikes. I do remember her seeming like such a front runner and then... she wasn't.  LOL about Jacob: "His bad performances could be used in interrogations" :lmao: But YESS I was hoping you'd mention the needing to look in the mirror comment! :dead:  It's what I always think about when I think of him. Hilarious. And LOL "He started off as this shy kid who had a hard time projecting his voice on stage who eventually went on to become the biggest troll in Idol history. " :dead: I love your Sanjaya write-up. He really does have a nice voice and brought truly iconic moments to the show. :haha: 

I haven't had a lot of ideas for the clues, but a couple things came to mind on these... 

• May have been the inspiration behind the creation of a certain website: I'm thinking the website is VFTW but I don't know who inspired it... John Stevens?

Yay, a MacKenzie fan! 😊 I hope you're right about "big voice in a tiny body." I really don't want Hollie Cavanagh to be ranked this low... 🤞

Edited by Bk1234
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, CarmenSandiego said:

Fair enough about Sanjaya.

I completely agree with the first sentence. However, I believe Arthur could've literally farted a song out of tune and he still would've made the finale.

3 hours ago, miss denise said:

Here I was thinking you abandoned this thread, 😢 Though this may very well happen should I keep listing your favorites this early. :haha: Pretty much agree about Brandon.

Shannon did have potential, and I think she would've been much better off giving more performances similar to Go Light You World and less like I Have Nothing. Agreed about Jeremy.

Ouch, another favorite bites the dust (I don't mean to do this on purpose, I swear). Glad to see my comments cracked you up. Agreed about Sanjaya having a nice voice. One of my very unpopular opinions is Sanjaya wasn't even the worst singer in his own season. He may have been better off working on projecting his voice rather than go the troll route, but then again, we wouldn't have this part of Idol lore if he didn't let loose and had fun.

As for the clues, I managed to finish my homework early and I'm just about wrapping up my write-ups, so I should be able to post them tomorrow after work. We'll see if all of the guesses are right or not...

7 hours ago, Crisis said:

I completely agree with the first sentence. However, I believe Arthur could've literally farted a song out of tune and he still would've made the finale.

I totally agree with this! I feel like if you're very popular from the get-go you could pretty much do anything and the votes would keep coming. I feel that now people vote mostly on who their favorite is, no matter how they did. However, I feel in the older seasons, most of the time, people voted based on who did well (correct me if I'm wrong).