Crisis On Hand: An American Idol Finalists Ranking List

Crisis

Anybody ready for more list? If not, too bad because I'm posting my next set anyway! :haha:

165. Scott MacIntyre: Season 8 (8th Place)

Premiere+Twentieth+Century+Fox+X+Men+Origins+gGYSHA18ByLx.jpg

Leading off this set will be the second S8 finalist to appear in this ranking: Scott MacIntyre. Scott was the first, and so far only, legally blind finalist on Idol. Unfortunately, that was the most interesting thing about him. He appeared to be a nice guy and a talented musician. However, he was one of the most boring singers to grace the Idol stage. In addition, he had some pitch issues that made him difficult to listen to. With that said, he had two solid performances: Mandolin Rain and Just The Way You Are. The former was in the semis, and it was good enough for him to advance to the finals from Group 3. The rest of his performances, however, we’re either boring or bad. His final performance on the show The Search Is Over was an unfortunate combination of both. He put away the piano and tried his hand at the electric guitar, and I appreciated he tried to do something different; however, it was a disaster. He was eliminated the following night, and I can’t say I disagreed with the result. I guess that’s all I have to say about him.

Clue: Possibly Ryan's biggest fail as AI host (I'll let the gif speak for itself) :giggle: MatureHarshFrogmouth.webp

164. Karen Rodriguez: Season 10 (12th Place)

Resized_v3.gif

Speaking of boring, here’s another contestant who fits the description. I remember seeing Karen being called Señora Snoozefest because of this. :giggle:The most memorable thing about her is that she sung in English and Spanish. This was most evident in the semis with Hero, where she sang the song in both languages. I could see how it would come across as gimmicky; however, I enjoyed it. I can’t say the same for the two performances that followed it, unfortunately. She sang Love Will Lead You Back on her final week of the show, which is supposedly a “cursed” song because whoever sung it has been eliminated the following night. Unfortunately for Karen, she was no exception. The problem in her case was that she struggled to hit the high notes and rushed the song a bit. Plus, she sang in both English and Spanish again; however, it wasn’t as effective with this performance as it was with Hero. With all that said, it still wasn’t the worst performance of the night. Overall, Karen was a beautiful girl with a nice voice, but she wasn’t the most exciting or engaging performer during her time on Idol.

Clue: A bilingual Idol finalist

163. Jasmine Murray: Season 8 (12th/13th Place)

jasminemurray.jpg

I guess it’s time for another S8 finalist to show up. Jasmine was another teen with potential. However, as with most teens, she wasn’t prepared for a stage like Idol. For some reason the judges were enamored with her; maybe it was because of said potential. She got off to a rough start with Love Song. I knew she was in trouble when the first notes came out of her mouth. Unfortunately, the rest of the performance didn’t get any better and unsurprisingly, she didn’t advance out of her group. All was not lost for Jasmine as she was picked to sing in the Wildcard Round. I don’t begrudge Jasmine nor the judges for picking her for that matter, but there were other female contestants I would’ve picked before her. Nonetheless, she gave what I thought was her best performance in the competition with Reflection. It was enough to earn a wildcard spot and advance to the finals. Her finals run was short lived as she was eliminated after a forgettable performance of I’ll Be There, which is one of the worst things to be early in the finals. I understand Jasmine went on to compete in beauty pageants and has done some Christian music post-Idol. I decided to watch a video of hers and needless to say, she has come a long way since her time on Idol, so good for her.

Clue: The original 13th place finalist (I realize this one's vague because of a scenario I didn't consider before. Plus, I don't think they made it official where Jasmine or Jorge placed. All is known is that Jasmine's elimination was announced first. Oh well, no point in changing it now)

162. Maddie Walker: Season 14 (10th/11th Place)

C33GulDWcAA9jlH.jpg

Next up is Maddie Walker from S14. Maddie was a teenage country singer whose Idol journey got off to an interesting start. Initially, she was supposed to be cut during the Top 24 selection. However, she was invited back to participate in a sing off with Rachael Halleck. The judges ended up putting Maddie through; I’m trying to remember if there was any serious outcry because this appeared to be a controversial decision. Anyway, Maddie managed to have two OK performances in the semis with Love Gets Me Every Time and I’ll Be There. She advanced to the finals where in the first week she gave her best performance with her audition song Suitcase. She managed to last two more weeks before she was eliminated in a double elimination alongside Adanna the week after Qaasim was saved. Her last performance of Let’s Hear It For The Boy was pretty rough; therefore, I can’t say the elimination wasn’t unjust. After Idol she joined the all-female country group South Haven. I know they had a video, single, and album; outside of this, however, I haven’t heard anything from them (maybe because I’m not actively looking, who knows). Either way, Maddie certainly had an interesting Idol run.

Clue: A finalist who shares the same first name and home state of a winner (the winner in question is Maddie Poppe of course. Both are originally from Iowa)

161. Leah LaBelle: Season 3 (12th Place)

BET+Music+Matters+Grammy+Showcase+jztYvlN2L4jx.jpg

Now for the saddest write-up on the list thus far (to think there are two more to do after this). Leah was another teenager who was a little rough on the edges. One thing I vividly remember was she certainly wasn’t lacking in confidence, almost to the point of being full of herself. She started her run with the overdone I Have Nothing in the semis while not bad, it certainly wasn’t the best version on the show (heck, it was done better later in the season). She didn’t get voted through to the finals, but she was invited back to perform in the Wildcard Round. There she gave an underwhelming performance of Let’s Stay Together. It certainly didn’t measure up to the version Trenyce did a year before in the same round. Despite this, however, Paula picked her as her wildcard selection and thus, Leah was on her way to the finals. While there, she gave another underwhelming performance; this time it was for You Keep Me Hangin’ On in which her vocals, energy, and stage presence was lacking. Unsurprisingly, that was her only performance in the finals because she was eliminated the following night. I know she continued to pursue music after Idol and was able to land a recording contract. I heard about her single Sexify, but up to now I had never listened to it. I decided to do so for this write-up, and I’m not going to front: it’s a bop. :bobo: I know she had other songs, so I listened to them and I can say she appeared to have grown as an artist, not to mention blossom into a beautiful woman (then again, she was always a pretty girl). Unfortunately, as we all know, Leah and her husband, former NBA player Rasual Butler, lost their lives in a car accident in January 2018. May they both RIP. :( 💔

* Warning: Mini-Rant Ahead *

After learning more about the accident, their deaths were even more tragic because they could've been easily prevented. I can never comprehend how people could get behind the wheel while intoxicated. Why take the risk, especially if there are others with you? If someone plans on being intoxicated, have someone who is sober go with them so he/she will be able to get them home safely (if not possible, call a cab or Uber/Lyft driver). Nothing ever comes good from driving impaired, with the worst case scenario being death, which unfortunately happened to Leah and Rasual. I personally don't do drugs (the only drugs I take are the ones doctors prescribe to combat illness); however, I do enjoy a drink from time to time. Whenever I do drink, should I have to drive, I wait two hours minimum before I consider getting behind the wheel. I don't even drink at bars or restaurants unless I'm with someone who doesn't drink; it's not worth the risk. It's a shame two people lost their lives at relatively young ages because of a bad decision.

I didn't mean to end Leah's write-up this way, but this is a subject that hits too close to home. I lost two good friends due to drunk driving (one was the driver, the other was hit by a drunk driver), and I had to stop my brother-in-law from driving home after a drink when he had his son with him. Fortunately, I was able to get them home safely. If only that was the case for Leah and Rasual...

* End Mini-Rant *

165. Scott MacIntyre

164. Karen Rodriguez

163. Jasmine Murray

162. Maddie Walker

161. Leah LaBelle

Next set:

• Imagine having to spend that much time with Bobby Bones...
  • Performed under an alter ego
  • Pretty girl, pitchy singer
  • Some people were meant to be in the background
  • Was involved in a sing off in a previous season

165. Scott MacIntyre - agree

164. Karen Rodriguez - I was so sad to see her Idol run go the way it did. I was actually a fan beforehand because she had appeared on the Spanish-language Objetivo Fama and gave a wonderful performance of "El Hombre Que Yo Amo".  I was happy to see her do some work with Romeo Santos after Idol (for the non-Spanish speakers, he is crazy popular) and was also excited to see that she was signed by Roc Nation Latin. I thought she really had a chance to blow up but unfortunately it doesn't seem to have panned out. I think she's super talented but her Idol run didn't really reflect that.

163. Jasmine Murray - I barely remember her haha

162. Maddie Walker - I vaguely remember enjoying her and being a little sad she got eliminated when she did.

161. Leah LaBelle - My season 3 fave along with Diana. Mostly I loved her audition and I just kept hoping she'd do better. Unfortunately that didn't really happen . I was happy to see her success with Sexify and was shocked to hear of her death. 😭 I completely agree with your mini-rant. So preventable. I too don't drive when I've had a drink and if I do, it's hourssss later.

Next set:

• Performed under an alter ego - Ada Vox
  • Pretty girl, pitchy singer - Haley Scarnato
  • Some people were meant to be in the background - Brandon Rogers

165. Scott MacIntyre - Not a fan.

164. Karen Rodriguez - Meh.

163. Jasmine Murray - Meh.

162. Maddie Walker - Wasn't a fan at all. But she's from my least favourite season.

161. Leah LaBelle - I couldn't stand her in S3 and was livid she made it over Suzy (and Lisa). I liked her original music that came out when she was signed to LA Reid's label, so it was nice to see she'd grown so much. RIP.

53 minutes ago, Elliott said:

162. Maddie Walker - Wasn't a fan at all. But she's from my least favourite season.

161. Leah LaBelle - I couldn't stand her in S3 and was livid she made it over Suzy (and Lisa). I liked her original music that came out when she was signed to LA Reid's label, so it was nice to see she'd grown so much. RIP.

Lisaaa ❤️ Ugh, so talented. I remember downloading a song of hers back in the day and loving it. I can't find it anymore. 😩

On 6/9/2020 at 8:23 PM, CarmenSandiego said:

I didn’t know that Leah was killed in a car accident, or that the accident was caused by driving while drunk.  Very dumb move, and I’m sad that it cost her her life.

I think that the person who performed under an alter ego was Adam aka Ada Vox.

It was her husband who was driving. Apparently, he had alcohol, oxycodone, methamphetamine, and marijuana in his system at the time. Leah wasn't much better, as she had methamphetamine and amphetamine as well as being over the alcohol limit. He was going well over the speed limit when he lost control of the car. The car eventually flipped over and both died instantly from their injuries suffered from the accident. It's a sad story all the way around.

As for your guess, we'll see (though you may be right :haha:).

15 hours ago, x3 because of u said:

165. Scott MacIntyre - agree

164. Karen Rodriguez - I was so sad to see her Idol run go the way it did. I was actually a fan beforehand because she had appeared on the Spanish-language Objetivo Fama and gave a wonderful performance of "El Hombre Que Yo Amo".  I was happy to see her do some work with Romeo Santos after Idol (for the non-Spanish speakers, he is crazy popular) and was also excited to see that she was signed by Roc Nation Latin. I thought she really had a chance to blow up but unfortunately it doesn't seem to have panned out. I think she's super talented but her Idol run didn't really reflect that.

163. Jasmine Murray - I barely remember her haha

162. Maddie Walker - I vaguely remember enjoying her and being a little sad she got eliminated when she did.

161. Leah LaBelle - My season 3 fave along with Diana. Mostly I loved her audition and I just kept hoping she'd do better. Unfortunately that didn't really happen . I was happy to see her success with Sexify and was shocked to hear of her death. 😭 I completely agree with your mini-rant. So preventable. I too don't drive when I've had a drink and if I do, it's hourssss later.

Next set:

• Performed under an alter ego - Ada Vox
  • Pretty girl, pitchy singer - Haley Scarnato
  • Some people were meant to be in the background - Brandon Rogers

165. :thumbs:

164. Too bad she wasn't better on Idol. It's nice to see you were a fan of hers before Idol. Too bad her career hasn't panned out the way you hoped

163. Fair enough :haha:

162. I liked Suitcase. Everything else was meh

161. Too bad she didn't get much better during her time on Idol. She definitely got better after it. Her death was shocking indeed. Thank you for agreeing with my mini-rant

We'll see about your guesses...

13 hours ago, Elliott said:

165-162. I don't have much to say except I pretty much agree :haha:

161. Don't get me started on what happened to Lisa Leuschner. That was one of my few so-called "Idol rage" moments. Agreed about her original music and growth as an artist (Leah, of course).

Edited by Crisis

On 6/9/2020 at 1:23 PM, Crisis said:

Sorry to have Ace and Chris so low (it has not been good for some of your favorites thus far. Hopefully that will change though I can't make any promises). :( Happy to see someone appreciate my attempt at humorous takes. I was really proud of the Tim one. :haha:

Exactly. :dead: I might be wrong, but I thought the original theme was supposed to be Pop. What made them change from that to this, who knows. Maybe that was the only way they could have Gwen Stefani agree to mentor the contestants. :haha:

It's okay. :hug:  I still have many more big favorites (including from those two seasons) that have yet to show up and hopefully we'll have some in common! I did enjoy the humor. :haha:  

I did not remember this either. :lmao: It's so weird. I would think she'd want them to sing her own songs, rather than ones that inspired her. 

165. Scott MacIntyre

164. Karen Rodriguez

163. Jasmine Murray

162. Maddie Walker

161. Leah LaBelle

Maddie was one of my favorites on her season and I wish she lasted longer. :( I'm glad she found some success post-show. I agree with you on Scott, but I like Karen and Jasmine a bit more than you seem to. I especially liked Jasmine in the earlier rounds. I wasn't a fan of Leah, but her passing is so incredibly sad. :( It's tragic to know how it could have been prevented and I agree with everything you said about that. 

6 hours ago, Crisis said:

It was her husband who was driving. Apparently, he had alcohol, oxycodone, methamphetamine, and marijuana in his system at the time. Leah wasn't much better, as she had methamphetamine and amphetamine as well as being over the alcohol limit. He was going well over the speed limit when he lost control of the car. The car eventually flipped over and both died instantly from their injuries suffered from the accident. It's a sad story all the way around.

As for your guess, we'll see (though you may be right :haha:).

I didn’t know which person was driving — Leah or her husband.  Given that both of them were drunk and high, I’m not terribly surprised that the husband chose to drive while drunk or that Leah chose to ride with him, but it was a terrible situation and I’m glad that I never got into that kind of situation!

3 hours ago, miss denise said:

It's okay. :hug:  I still have many more big favorites (including from those two seasons) that have yet to show up and hopefully we'll have some in common! I did enjoy the humor. :haha:  

I did not remember this either. :lmao: It's so weird. I would think she'd want them to sing her own songs, rather than ones that inspired her. 

Thank you :hug:

As for Gwen Stefani, judging from the looks on her face when some of the contestants did sing her songs in rehearsal, I don't think she wanted any of them singing her songs. :haha:

3 hours ago, miss denise said:

Maddie was one of my favorites on her season and I wish she lasted longer. :( I'm glad she found some success post-show. I agree with you on Scott, but I like Karen and Jasmine a bit more than you seem to. I especially liked Jasmine in the earlier rounds. I wasn't a fan of Leah, but her passing is so incredibly sad. :( It's tragic to know how it could have been prevented and I agree with everything you said about that. 

Too bad about Maddie not lasting longer than you would've liked. As is the case with most teens, she still had some maturing to do. Good to see she had some success post-Idol. Not much to say about Scott, Karen, and Jasmine except I pretty much agree. As for Leah, yes her passing was incredibly sad, even more so knowing it could've been easily prevented.

1 hour ago, CarmenSandiego said:

I didn’t know which person was driving — Leah or her husband.  Given that both of them were drunk and high, I’m not terribly surprised that the husband chose to drive while drunk or that Leah chose to ride with him, but it was a terrible situation and I’m glad that I never got into that kind of situation!

It was certainly was a terrible situation, and I hope no one ever find themselves in situations like those.

I'll go ahead and post the next set.

160. Ada Vox: Season 16 (8th/9th/10th Place)

ada.jpg

Time for another S16 contestant to enter the countdown. I actually remember when Adam Sanders auditioned for Idol during S12. He eventually was eliminated after lasting a few rounds in Hollywood. He came back for S16, this time as a drag queen named Ada Vox. Ada was definitely the most intriguing contestant, and I was interested to see how she would fare. Unfortunately, Ada turned out to be a huge disappointment. For starters, in spite of the creative persona, Ada lacked any originality performance wise. She picked songs that had been done multiple times before on Idol, which I don’t really have a problem with; the main issue was she simply did not sing them well. She wanted to be this big voiced diva; however, she would get screechy and lose pitch whenever she belted.  It was not pleasant to listen to. The worst of the worst was her final performance Circle of Life. That performance, plus her being a wildcard ended her run on Idol. Regarding Disney Night, I remember reading people wanted her to sing Poor Unfortunate Souls while dressed up like Ursula. I wouldn’t have said no to that, but it wasn’t meant to be. Oh well. In the end, I ended up liking Ada the idea more than Ada the contestant, if that makes any kind of sense.

Clue: Performed under an alter ego

159. Walker Burroughs: Season 17 (7th/8th Place)

K6O6MABX7NHXXCCSXWGPYVNTKA.jpg

It’s been a while since I've posted a S17 finalist; it’s time to give Wade some company. To be honest, I originally found it difficult to write about Walker because he was pretty much a non-entity to me his season despite currently being a year removed from it. The main thing I remember about him is his red hair, glasses, and fashion style. If anyone were to ask me about any of his performances, I wouldn’t be able to give a solid answer because I wouldn’t have many memories about them. I decided to re-watch his performances for the purpose of this write-up, and the conclusion: he was OK, nothing groundbreaking. One thing I noticed was he was a bit of a dork (I mean that in a positive way, BTW) and fully embraced it. Going back to his performances, there is actually one I do remember before my re-watch: the Mrs. Robinson duet with Alejandro. What irritated me was Bobby Bones (who is as useful as speedos to a monastery of monks) saying that Walker needed to keep up with Alejandro. Based on that performance, it was the other way around. Walker was whispering the song so he wouldn’t overpower Alejandro (before any Alejandro supporters jump on me – not that anyone of them seem to read this thread anyway – notice I haven’t ranked Alejandro yet, so I do like him more than Walker, just not in this instance). That performance and his solo performance of Crazy Little Thing Called Love were his final performances in the competition as he was eliminated that night. For someone who I didn’t have much to say about, this write-up turned out to be pretty lengthy after all. :haha:

Clue: Imagine having to spend that much time with Bobby Bones...(Bobby had Walker join him on his Bobby Bones and the Raging Idiots Tour after the season)

158. Kristen O'Connor: Season 13 (13th Place)

kristen-o-connor-american-idol-xiii-finalists-party-02.jpg

Up next is Kristen O’Connor. Kristen appeared to be a lovely girl; however, she wasn’t the most consistent singer. She would give performances that would have some good moments, but they would often be overshadowed by her off moments. I think her biggest problem was she tried to be this powerhouse pop singer, thinking her voice was stronger than it actually was. Taking on Adele, Katy Perry, and Kelly Clarkson really exposed her vocal limitations. Turning Tables was pretty much out of tune through most of the song. Unconditionally was the best of the three, yet it still had more ups than downs. As for Beautiful Disaster, well…she’s beautiful, but that performance, while I won’t call it a disaster, to say it was not very good would be an understatement. Unsurprisingly, she was the first finalist eliminated, and I can’t say I disagree with the results (though I thought Malaya was even worse that week). Now that I think about it, after reading this write-up, in hindsight I probably should’ve rated her a few spots lower. Oh well. One thing I do remember during my lurking days was that the gay men really seemed to hate her. :haha: While I don’t dislike her as much as they did, I can’t say I’m a fan either.

Clue: Pretty girl, pitchy singer

157. Lacey Brown: Season 9 (12th Place)

300.brown.lacey.lc.031810.jpg?fit=around%7C1200:1200&crop=1200:1200;center,top&output-quality=90

Next to arrive in the list is another first exit, Lacey Brown. Lacey had this strange yet interesting tone to her voice that could be good or bad depending on which song she chose. Unfortunately, she wasn’t the best at picking songs; therefore, it was often the latter. The biggest example was her first semifinal performance Landslide. It should’ve been a song that suited her voice perfectly, yet it ended up being really painful to listen to. She managed to survive it and gave a slightly better performance with Kiss Me. The last week in the semis is where she gave her best performance with The Story. The voters liked it enough where she was voted into the finals on what is considered to be one of the most controversial results shows on Idol. I believe she and Paige were the two main recipients of the outrage due to the results. Hopefully, Lacey didn’t settle in and unpack too many of her items because her stay in the finals was short. She was eliminated the first week after giving a forgettable performance of Ruby Tuesday. Overall, Lacey appeared to be a nice girl with an interesting voice, but she was nothing more than that.

Clue: Was involved in a sing off in a previous season (she auditioned in S8, where she was one of the final cuts after competing in a sing off against Megan Joy)

156. Brandon Rogers: Season 6 (12th Place)

brandon-rogers_sc_768x1024.png

Why not make it three in a row? :haha: Here we have another first finalist exit entry with Brandon Rogers. One of the more compelling stories of S6 was the two background singers getting their chance to be in the spotlight. One went on to become who is considered to be one of the best vocalists in Idol history. The other couldn’t break out and show any signs of becoming a lead singer. Guess which category Brandon fell under (BTW, we won’t be seeing the other background singer any time soon ;))? Most of Brandon’s struggles came from a lack of charisma and poor song choices. His first performance of Rock With You didn’t start off too bad. Unfortunately, it didn’t stay that way when the up-tempo part kicked in. He should’ve committed to doing the whole song up-tempo or as a ballad because the change up didn’t work. Next was Time After Time, which while pleasant, was kind of boring. The main thing I remember was him giving a random birthday shout out to someone, which Simon mocked later. The following week he gave what I considered to be his best performance in the competition with I Just Want to Celebrate. Even then, I didn’t think it was enough for him to make the finals, yet he managed to earn enough votes to make it there. Unfortunately for Brandon, he gave his worst performance of the competition in the finals with You Can’t Hurry Love. It was just bad, from the flat singing, voice crack, cheesy dancing, and of course him forgetting the lyrics in which he walked around with a dumbfounded look on his face. 😐 It was easy to see he would be the first boot after that performance. After Idol, I know he went on to host some Idol related red carpet events. However, the most random thing about Brandon was that not only did he get an invite to the Fox Grand Finale, he got to sing a solo line in a group medley whereas Blake Lewis was relegated to the background in some of the performances. :rofl: Either way, Brandon didn’t make the most of his opportunity to show he could be a lead singer, which is unfortunate.

Clue: Some people were meant to be in the background (should be obvious)

160. Ada Vox

159. Walker Burroughs

158. Kristen O'Connor

157. Lacey Brown

156. Brandon Rogers

As for the upcoming set:

• Oops!...I Forgot the Lyrics!
  • The lone finalist from a US Territory
  • Often considered to be the most forgettable finalist in Idol history
  • It was just one note!
  • You say you'll call, but I know you...

Definitely no complaints about your rankings.  Incidentally, I rooted for the other background singer in Season 6 (Melinda Doolittle) and was devastated when she came in third.

I think that the one who forgot the lyrics was Catie Turner.  I remember her doing it two seasons ago and going home for it.

1 hour ago, Crisis said:

Oops!...I Forgot the Lyrics!

Yeah, definitely her, she forgot the lyrics on "Manic Monday" performance of hers I think. And she did a cover of "Oops! I Did It Again!" of Britney I think which is why this clue makes sense.

• Like 1

As for the upcoming set:

• Oops!...I Forgot the Lyrics! - Yup, agree with the two people above me that this is Catie Turner.
  • The lone finalist from a US Territory - Jorge Nunez (my people... Puerto Rico!)
  • Often considered to be the most forgettable finalist in Idol history - Hmmmmm, I'm curious to see who this will be.
  • It was just one note! - No idea
  • You say you'll call, but I know you... - Jeremy Rosado

16 hours ago, CarmenSandiego said:

Definitely no complaints about your rankings.  Incidentally, I rooted for the other background singer in Season 6 (Melinda Doolittle) and was devastated when she came in third.

Yeah, Melinda coming in third was rather disappointing. With that said, I have some ideas as to why she finished third; however, I'm going to wait until her write-up before expressing them.

16 hours ago, CarmenSandiego said:

I think that the one who forgot the lyrics was Catie Turner.  I remember her doing it two seasons ago and going home for it.

16 hours ago, anonymouskid_35 said:

Yeah, definitely her, she forgot the lyrics on "Manic Monday" performance of hers I think. And she did a cover of "Oops! I Did It Again!" of Britney I think which is why this clue makes sense.

5 hours ago, x3 because of u said:

• Oops!...I Forgot the Lyrics! - Yup, agree with the two people above me that this is Catie Turner.

I guess I made this one too easy. :dead: I won't even pretend this could be someone else.

5 hours ago, x3 because of u said:
  • The lone finalist from a US Territory - Jorge Nunez (my people... Puerto Rico!)
  • Often considered to be the most forgettable finalist in Idol history - Hmmmmm, I'm curious to see who this will be.
  • It was just one note! - No idea
  • You say you'll call, but I know you... - Jeremy Rosado

We'll see if the ones you guessed are right. Anyone want to take a stab at the other two?

Well, it's been a day and no new posts, so I'll post the next set:

155. Charles Grigsby: Season 2 (11th Place)

MV5BMjI5NjE1OTkwNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTY3NTI5NDM@._V1_.jpg

What is there to say about Charles? He had an OK voice, seemed to be a chill laid-back guy, worked at a grocery store at the time, and had good fashion sense. Unfortunately, there wasn’t much more to him than that. As for his Idol run, he was a part of Group 1 in the semis where he gave a solid if unspectacular rendition of Overjoyed. The voters liked it enough as he was voted into the finals. There he gave an OK performance of How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You) in the first week, which was enough for him to advance. The following week, however, would be his last as he gave a mediocre at best performance of the aptly titled You Can’t Win. All wasn’t lost for Charles as far as Idol was concerned. Because of Corey’s disqualification, Charles was invited to take part in the summer tour, which he originally wouldn’t have been able to do due to not placing in the Top 10. Other than these tidbits, there’s not much really to say about Charles.

Clue: Often considered to be the most forgettable finalist in Idol history

154. Shannon Magrane: Season 11 (11th Place)

Shannon-Magrane-Feet-3485712.jpg

What do you know, back to back eleventh place finishers. :haha: Stepping up to the plate is Shannon Magrane. I’m starting to sound like a broken record here, but Shannon was yet another teen who had promise but needed more time to mature vocally. Shannon’s Idol journey got off to an interesting start when Steven Tyler said something was “hot, humid, and happening, just like your daughter” to her father at her audition. :rofl: As for the rest of Shannon’s journey, she started off well enough with Go Light Your World in the semis, though she looked like she was on her way to her high school prom. It was enough to get into her finals where unfortunately she bit off more than she could chew with her song choices. If I were to take a guess, I believe she felt like she needed to try to compete with the other big voiced teens Jessica and Hollie, which was a battle she was always going to lose. The first week she did the overdone I Have Nothing (even though it was Whitney Houston week – which would be a struggle for anyone, even the most powerful singers – she could’ve picked a different song) which was shaky; it was too big for her and she was definitely nervous throughout the performance. The next week, she took on another diva, future AI judge Mariah Carey, and sung One Sweet Day, which it certainly wasn’t for her as once again, the song was too big for her. She wasn’t as fortunate this time as she was eliminated the following night. From what I understand, she’s done some singing and modeling post-Idol; the latter makes sense as she’s certainly tall and pretty enough, so good for her.

Clue: It was just one note! (What she said during the judges critiques of I Have Nothing. It was more than one note though, just sayin'...)

153. Jorge Nuñez: Season 8 (12th/13th Place)

7T4I23EXUVHG3AGRLVUG4VIOKU.jpg

For S8, one of the places Idol held its auditions was Puerto Rico (shout-out to @x3 because of u). The most well-known auditioner to come from those auditions was Jorge Nuñez. Jorge appeared to be a nice earnest guy who was a strong balladeer. As for his Idol journey, he was a part of Group 3 where he gave a strong performance of Don’t Let The Sun Go Down On Me, which is another overdone song on Idol. I’ll admit I had some reservations after his performance, but not for the reason(s) one may think. I had some contestants I was interested in from that group and hoped they would advance to the finals. However, I knew Jorge had a great shot of advancing due to his performance and the banter with the judges afterwards. My reservations proved to be right because he did advance, and to be honest, I wasn’t mad about it at all. His stay in the finals was short lived, however, as he was eliminated along with Jasmine in the first week after his performance of Never Can Say Goodbye. I don’t think he picked the right song; I thought he would’ve been better off singing something like She’s Out Of My Life (look at me channeling my inner Kara). Nonetheless, Jorge had one great moment on Idol, which is nothing to sneeze at.

Clue: The lone finalist from a US Territory

152. Jeremy Rosado: Season 11 (13th Place)

Jeremy+EDIT2.jpg?format=2500w

Jeremy appeared to be a nice guy who favored singing ballads, and J-Lo seemed to have a soft spot for him. However, in a season as stacked as S11 was, while I wouldn’t say he was out of his league, he didn’t really measure up to the other contestants. He started off by singing Gravity in the semis, which while pleasant, wasn’t anything to jump out of the chair for (which is saying something considering how standing ovation happy the judges were that season). He didn’t earn enough votes to advance to the finals; however, he was selected to perform in the Wildcard Round. There he gave a strong, emotional, and heartfelt performance of I Know You Won’t (one of my favorite Carrie Underwood songs), which is a VERY difficult song to sing. Though he got too emotional at the end where he couldn’t finish the song, he was one of the very few contestants to do justice to a Carrie Underwood song on Idol. One thing I noticed was how into the performance the other contestants were. The judges liked it enough to the point where he was selected to go to the finals. There, he sang Ribbon In The Sky which wasn’t anything to get excited over. Due to a twist that week, the lowest male and female vote-getters had their fate decided by the judges as to who would stay in the competition. Jeremy and Elise were the unlucky two in those unenviable positions. The judges decided to keep Elise, which meant Jeremy’s Idol stay came to an end. I felt Elise had a lot more to offer than Jeremy, so I certainly agreed the decision. Still, I don’t think I would’ve minded Jeremy sticking around longer under different circumstances (I definitely preferred him to HeeJun), but it is what it is.

Clue: You say you'll call, but I know you...(which of course is the beginning of the chorus of I Know You Won't. I was secretly hoping someone would guess Carrie for this clue :giggle:)

151. Catie Turner: Season 16 (6th/7th Place)

9114514.jpeg

Ending this set is the polarizing Catie Turner. Catie had this unfiltered, quirky, off-beat personality that at times I found endearing and other times annoying. As an artist, Catie had something intriguing about her; however, based on her Idol run, she still needed time to understand who she wanted to be. She started her run with Call Me, a song that has never been done well on Idol, and Catie was no exception. Still, she was picked to go to the Top 14 where she made another questionable song choice with Take Me To Church. I didn’t think she had anywhere near the emotional depth or maturity the song required and therefore, I wasn’t too fond of this performance either. Despite this, she was voted into the Top 10, where she performed Havana as her victory song. I’m not the biggest Camila Cabello fan, plus I can’t stand the song (apologies to any Camila fans in advance :stealth:); however, this was the first time I liked Catie. She picked a song that actually suited her. The next week Catie gave my favorite performance of hers with Once Upon A Dream. To take it a step further, this was my favorite performance of the night. Out of all the finalists, Catie was the only one to really embrace the Disney theme and completely threw herself into the performance. Unfortunately, the next week was really rough for Catie. Her first performance, Oops!...I Did It Again, was rather polarizing. I believed the arrangement was based on something similar to what Postmodern Jukebox does. Personally, I kind of dug it; however, I can see how others wouldn’t. Unfortunately, her second performance, Manic Monday, was nothing short of a disaster. It got off to a rough start with her forgetting some lyrics to the opening verse, and it only got worse from there. I’m not one of those people who grabs a pitchfork when someone forgets the lyrics because it happens. The problem I had with this performance was Catie was clearly affected by her screw-up and therefore, the rest of the performance was way off. Despite this, I thought she still had a chance of advancing to the next round because she appeared to be very popular, especially since she had the biggest social media following of all the contestants. However, she ended up being eliminated that night. My favorite thing was her body language as the results were being read, as if she was hoping she wouldn’t be picked. As I mentioned, she was intriguing, but she obviously had some growing up to do. I haven’t kept track of her post-Idol, so I'm not sure what she's been up to since. I may look into it later.

Clue: Oops!..I Forgot the Lyrics (a very difficult clue obviously 😜)

155. Charles Grigsby

154. Shannon Magrane

153. Jorge Nuñez

152. Jeremy Rosado

151. Catie Turner

What to expect for the next set:

• Talk about a crash and burn...
  • Said to share similarities to a television character
  • The man, the myth, the legend
  • Team Cee-Lo
  • Maybe it wasn't a good idea to lecture voters prior to performing...

I'm new here so I just saw this... If I say "no comment" then I probably haven't watched their season.

Season 18: This list is really just your opinion, but personally I wouldn't have ranked Jovin as high as you did. I also think you ranked Francisco Martin too low. My personal top 5 includes Francisco Martin (most consistent), Makayla Phillips (best female contestant that season- maybe my favorite of the season), Jonny West (true artist), Julia Gargano (I love her buttery voice), and Louis Knight (great, emotional performances.)

Lazaro Arbos- I still can't believe he came in sixth place... 

Jim Verraros- no comment

A.J. Gil- no comment

Daniel Seavey- I liked him during that season. However, it seemed to me that he didn't have a very strong voice compared to everyone else. 

Gianna Isabella- For some reason I liked her during that season... weird... 

Heejun Han- He was very funny, however, I did not like how he treated the competition as a joke... 😒

Corey Clark- no comment

Wade Cota- I hated him. Especially after he tried to cheat in Hollywood Week. 😒

Curtis Finch, Jr.- no comment

Carmen Rasmusen- no comment

JAX- I actually liked her in her season. She seemed very fun to me. 

Gabby Barrett- I agree to disagree on this one. She was one of my favorites from Season 16. I'm very happy with her recent success as well! 😃

Cade Foehner- I don't remember anything from him... 

Kevin Covais- no comment

Lee Jean- I watched his entire season and I have no clue who he is... 

Andrew Garcia- no comment

Dexter Roberts- very boring except for One Mississippi, which I enjoyed.

Stefano Langone- I think you ranked him too low... I also feel bad for the backlash he received after Pia's elimination. It's good to see that they're still friends. 

I'll finish tomorrow...

Edited by Bk1234

Catie Turner is still underrated as heck by some I see. lmao Not surprised though. :rolleyes:

Her original music is quite good, and some of it has even gone viral thanks to a song plug during a Shane Dawson YouTube series last year. :thumbs:

Continued thoughts on your rankings:

Tim Urban- no comment

Tristan McIntosh- I thought that she was the best out of the teens that were on that season. 

Ace Young- no comment

Chris Richardson- no comment

Constantine Maroulis- I was surprised to see him return as a duet partner (I think?) in season 15, Bohemian Rhapsody was very good though!

Scott Savol- no comment

Jon Peter Lewis- no comment

Chris Eligh- no comment

EJ Day- no comment

Danny Gokey- no comment

Matthew Rogers-no comment

Ashton Jones- She had personality, which was good, but I still think that Kendra or Robbie were more deserving of her slot as a wildcard. 

Jermaine Jones- I didn't really like his personality, it was just too weird for me, sorry... However, I  agree, I didn't like how the show handled his disqualification. 

MK Nobilette- Pretty voice, poor execution as the show went on (thank goodness they didn't save her). 

Julia DeMato- no comment

Scott MacIntyre- no comment

Karen Rodriguez- I loved her performance of Hero! She truly made it her own. (Maybe you put her too low?)

Jasmine Murray- no comment

Maddie Walker- I loved her in Season 14! She was very fun and exciting to watch. However, looking back, she isn't as good as I thought!

Leah LaBelle- I totally agree with your stance on her death... It's not worth dying for such a careless mistake... 😢

Ada Vox- He had a strong voice but America wasn't a fan from the beginning. After Circle of Life, there was no recovering... 

Walker Burroughs- I agree with you on him. I actually liked him last season. However, I remember none of his performances... :/

Kristen O'Connor- I completely agree. She tackled songs too big for her...

Lacey Brown- no comment

Brandon Rogers- no comment

Charles Grigsby- no comment

Shannon Magrane- I really liked her performance of Go Light Your World. However, it spiraled out of control after that. I remember how Erika Van Pelt gave an inconsiderate (in my opinion) victory dance, ignoring the fact that Shannon had to sing for her life in the competition. 

Jorge Nuñez- no comment

Jeremy Rosado- Definitely deserving of the Wild Card pick. However, I am so thankful that they saved Elise instead. 

Catie Turner- Very fun, great personality. I liked her performances but I wouldn't call myself a fan. I guess she was having a Manic Sunday that night! 😆

Only one comment, here: 

Catie Turner,  was my 2nd favorite of Season 16 (2nd, only to Maddie Poppe). Fun, really good songwriter.Love her voice & performances (Ok, maybe not Manic Monday, so much ).  But ... 

Really happy to see that she got signed to Atlantic. :thumbs:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KelseyW said:

Catie Turner is still underrated as heck by some I see. lmao Not surprised though. :rolleyes:

Her original music is quite good, and some of it has even gone viral thanks to a song plug during a Shane Dawson YouTube series last year. :thumbs:

Maybe she is, maybe she isn't. As I mentioned in the first post, this list will be mainly based on how I felt about them on the show, and Catie was too up and down for me. It's good to see she's still pursuing music outside of the show.

12 hours ago, CarmenSandiego said:

No complaints about the rankings.

Also, the question which referred to Catie was a real softball.

Good to see no complaints. Yeah, that was definitely a freebie. :haha:

13 hours ago, Bk1234 said:

I'm new here so I just saw this... If I say "no comment" then I probably haven't watched their season.

Season 18: This list is really just your opinion, but personally I wouldn't have ranked Jovin as high as you did. I also think you ranked Francisco Martin too low. My personal top 5 includes Francisco Martin (most consistent), Makayla Phillips (best female contestant that season- maybe my favorite of the season), Jonny West (true artist), Julia Gargano (I love her buttery voice), and Louis Knight (great, emotional performances.)

Lazaro Arbos- I still can't believe he came in sixth place... 

Jim Verraros- no comment

A.J. Gil- no comment

Daniel Seavey- I liked him during that season. However, it seemed to me that he didn't have a very strong voice compared to everyone else. 

Gianna Isabella- For some reason I liked her during that season... weird... 

Heejun Han- He was very funny, however, I did not like how he treated the competition as a joke... 😒

Corey Clark- no comment

Wade Cota- I hated him. Especially after he tried to cheat in Hollywood Week. 😒

Curtis Finch, Jr.- no comment

Carmen Rasmusen- no comment

JAX- I actually liked her in her season. She seemed very fun to me. 

Gabby Barrett- I agree to disagree on this one. She was one of my favorites from Season 16. I'm very happy with her recent success as well! 😃

Cade Foehner- I don't remember anything from him... 

Kevin Covais- no comment

Lee Jean- I watched his entire season and I have no clue who he is... 

Andrew Garcia- no comment

Dexter Roberts- very boring except for One Mississippi, which I enjoyed.

Stefano Langone- I think you ranked him too low... I also feel bad for the backlash he received after Pia's elimination. It's good to see that they're still friends. 

I'll finish tomorrow...

1 hour ago, Bk1234 said:

Continued thoughts on your rankings:

Tim Urban- no comment

Tristan McIntosh- I thought that she was the best out of the teens that were on that season. 

Ace Young- no comment

Chris Richardson- no comment

Constantine Maroulis- I was surprised to see him return as a duet partner (I think?) in season 15, Bohemian Rhapsody was very good though!

Scott Savol- no comment

Jon Peter Lewis- no comment

Chris Eligh- no comment

EJ Day- no comment

Danny Gokey- no comment

Matthew Rogers-no comment

Ashton Jones- She had personality, which was good, but I still think that Kendra or Robbie were more deserving of her slot as a wildcard. 

Jermaine Jones- I didn't really like his personality, it was just too weird for me, sorry... However, I  agree, I didn't like how the show handled his disqualification. 

MK Nobilette- Pretty voice, poor execution as the show went on (thank goodness they didn't save her). 

Julia DeMato- no comment

Scott MacIntyre- no comment

Karen Rodriguez- I loved her performance of Hero! She truly made it her own. (Maybe you put her too low?)

Jasmine Murray- no comment

Maddie Walker- I loved her in Season 14! She was very fun and exciting to watch. However, looking back, she isn't as good as I thought!

Leah LaBelle- I totally agree with your stance on her death... It's not worth dying for such a careless mistake... 😢

Ada Vox- He had a strong voice but America wasn't a fan from the beginning. After Circle of Life, there was no recovering... 

Walker Burroughs- I agree with you on him. I actually liked him last season. However, I remember none of his performances... :/

Kristen O'Connor- I completely agree. She tackled songs too big for her...

Lacey Brown- no comment

Brandon Rogers- no comment

Charles Grigsby- no comment

Shannon Magrane- I really liked her performance of Go Light Your World. However, it spiraled out of control after that. I remember how Erika Van Pelt gave an inconsiderate (in my opinion) victory dance, ignoring the fact that Shannon had to sing for her life in the competition. 

Jorge Nuñez- no comment

Jeremy Rosado- Definitely deserving of the Wild Card pick. However, I am so thankful that they saved Elise instead. 

Catie Turner- Very fun, great personality. I liked her performances but I wouldn't call myself a fan. I guess she was having a Manic Sunday that night! 😆

Welcome!

Trust me, you're not the only one who disagreed with where I ranked Jovin. :haha: Francisco was kind of in no man's land. I wasn't crazy about him, but I didn't dislike him either, so I felt that was the best place for him. The only one we appear to agree on is Julia, although Makayla and Jonny just missed my Top 5.

As for the rest of the comments, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears most of the no comments were for contestants prior to Season 10; therefore, I assume that's when you started watching Idol. I'll focus on the contestants that have comments.

Lazaro - yeah, it was crazy he finished that high and was the last male standing. I can imagine how ugly it would've gotten had he outlasted any of the females.

Daniel - he was just too young and green to be on the show when he was. He apparently has gotten better since, which is good.

Gianna- like Daniel, too young and green for my liking. Good to see you enjoyed her though.

Heejun - pretty much agree with you on him

Wade - yeah, him not even trying to learn the song in Hollywood was annoying, though I thought it was hilarious when he got caught cheating.

JAX - she was definitely a love or hate contestant. Unfortunately, she was the latter for me though I don't like using the word hate

Gabby - though we disagree, it's good to see she's one of your favorites

Cade- consider yourself fortunate...

Lee - fair enough

Dexter - agreed

Stefano - I just never got into him. Good to see he and Pia are still friends,

Tristan - she was certainly better than Gianna and Lee

Constantine - Bohemian Rhapsody was the only performance of his I really liked. That said, he wasn't a bad duet partner during S15

Ashthon - agreed, though I was more disappointed at Lauren T. not getting a chance to sing in the WC than Kendra or Robbie not being selected

Jermaine - I can see how his personality can come off that way. The way the show handled his DQ was bad

MK - I don't think she ever looked comfortable on stage. Considering she was in the B3 a couple of times before her elimination, she really didn't have much of a shot at being saved

Karen - Hero was good. Too bad she wasn't much better

Maddie - yeah, another case of someone being too green

Leah - glad to see you agree

Ada - you have a point about America not being a fan. Unfortunately, I don't think she gave any reason for America to be

Walker - yep, total agreement

Kristen - agreed

Shannon - agreed about her GLYW and everything after. As for Erika's celebration, I can see how it would look bad; however, I can only imagine how nerve wrecking and stressful waiting for the results is, so I really don't begrudge anyone showing relief or celebrating after they're told they're safe. Besides, Erika did hug Shannon and wished her luck afterwards.

Jeremy - I was happy to see him get a WC spot too. Agreed about being thankful Elise was saved

Catie - pretty much agree. LOL at Manic Sunday

• Like 1

Saw this while I was posting:

22 minutes ago, psterina said:

Only one comment, here: 

Catie Turner,  was my 2nd favorite of Season 16 (2nd, only to Maddie Poppe). Fun, really good songwriter.Love her voice & performances (Ok, maybe not Manic Monday, so much ).  But ... 

Really happy to see that she got signed to Atlantic. :thumbs:

Good to see she was your second favorite from the season, though obviously she isn't that high for me, lol. Really cool to see was signed. Best of luck to her!

21 hours ago, Crisis said:

What to expect for the next set:

• Talk about a crash and burn...
  • Said to share similarities to a television character
  • The man, the myth, the legend
  • Team Cee-Lo
  • Maybe it wasn't a good idea to lecture voters prior to performing...

As to the hints, I have absolutely no clue! 😆 

21 hours ago, Crisis said:

Maybe it wasn't a good idea to lecture voters prior to performing...

Wait, is this Quentin Alexander? I feel like he had an issue with Joey Cook's elimination and he was then eliminated the week after.

15 hours ago, KelseyW said:

Catie is just under rated on IDF.  But IDF is all about baby divas, belters.  Not artists, musicians or those that are unique.  I already know that Alejandro and Arthur will be rated very low.  And someone like Jessica Sanchez will be very high, even though her post show career sucks.

• Like 1