Crisis On Hand: An American Idol Finalists Ranking List

Crisis

15 minutes ago, Crisis said:

I've noticed for the most part the adult Idol parents were pretty cool; unfortunately, the same can't be said for some of the parents of the minors. Some that come to mind are Diana's mom, Archie's dad, and Brielle's mom...

I know about the complaints that Archie’s dad may have given Archie an edge by being allowed to stay with him and possibly help him (at least I think that’s what it was), but what were the issues with Diana’s mom and Brielle’s mom? 

17 minutes ago, Crisis said:

What was everyone's favorite write-up, not just based on favorite contestants but in general? What was the one that was the best read? I'm just asking out of curiosity. 😁

Definitely Haley Scarnato’s write-up. Your passion to defend her was hilarious and was shown well through the write-up! 😂

3 hours ago, Bk1234 said:

I know about the complaints that Archie’s dad may have given Archie an edge by being allowed to stay with him and possibly help him (at least I think that’s what it was), but what were the issues with Diana’s mom and Brielle’s mom? 

Definitely Haley Scarnato’s write-up. Your passion to defend her was hilarious and was shown well through the write-up! 😂

I don't remember any negatives about Diana's mom but Brielle's mom definitely hurt her in the competition. If I recall correctly she was meddlesome and Idol mentioned her enough that I think that was the main thing people remembered about Brielle (which I hated because I really love Brielle's voice).

• Thanks 1

Next up is Tanmyra.  I began watching the show in Season 1, and Tamyra was the first contestant that I ever voted for.  I really wanted her to win, but she was a little too similar to Kelly in terms of fan base, she had one off night, her fans probably were complacent, and that’s all she wrote.

5 hours ago, Bk1234 said:

2 hours ago, x3 because of u said:

I don't remember any negatives about Diana's mom but Brielle's mom definitely hurt her in the competition. If I recall correctly she was meddlesome and Idol mentioned her enough that I think that was the main thing people remembered about Brielle (which I hated because I really love Brielle's voice).

Pretty much this about Brielle's mom. Diana's mom was considered a stage mother, and there were reports of her being difficult behind the scenes.

:blushingwave: I might have been too excited with that write-up, but I wouldn't change a thing. :haha: It might be my favorite as well.

1 hour ago, CarmenSandiego said:

Next up is Tanmyra.  I began watching the show in Season 1, and Tamyra was the first contestant that I ever voted for.  I really wanted her to win, but she was a little too similar to Kelly in terms of fan base, she had one off night, her fans probably were complacent, and that’s all she wrote.

It's too bad her one off night caused her elimination after being very strong and consistent the previous weeks.

Congratulations on such an undertaking. It's quite a commitment. One, that I know, I would not be able to do. I would have commented more, but time constraints kept me from that.

Katherine McPhee is a most definite worthy favorite. I didn't watch that season, but ... not only did she make it as a finalist on Idol,  she has a lovely voice, and she has had quite a successful post Idol career.

12 hours ago, Bk1234 said:

Wow, you must have been mad... 😅 I hope you didn’t say anything mean about Katharine... 😕 (If you did, I’m guessing you regret it...)

7 hours ago, Crisis said:

Thank you! :hug:

Yowza at being so outraged at Chris' elimination it caused two bans from the official Idol message board! 😯 Although it appears you may not be that much of a fan at Kat's, at least you've come around on her some. I liked the duet she did with Casey at the Farewell Season Finale as well; my only complaint was it was too short. :/

yeah I was pretty mad because I thought he was the only one who deserved that win and record deal. and I used to blame Kat's fans for supervoting and cheating (it was the first time I read it can voted from outside the US with skype..) BUT not winning actually helped chris, he got a record deal, released albums, toured and one of the selected few who is still successful. even if I am not that fond of his post idol music.. 

anyways two good things came out of this: i joined idolforums which is more entertaining.. and become friends with someone from the official idol board who shared my feelings and taste of music and we are still friends to this day.. 

Edited by blackfield
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, psterina said:

Congratulations on such an undertaking. It's quite a commitment. One, that I know, I would not be able to do. I would have commented more, but time constraints kept me from that.

Katherine McPhee is a most definite worthy favorite. I didn't watch that season, but ... not only did she make it as a finalist on Idol,  she has a lovely voice, and she has had quite a successful post Idol career.

Thank you. It's OK not commenting more; at least there were some comments here and there. 😄 Katharine certainly is a worthy favorite, but that may be just my bias speaking. 🥰 😂

53 minutes ago, blackfield said:

yeah I was pretty mad because I thought he was the only one who deserved that win and record deal. and I used to blame Kat's fans for supervoting and cheating (it was the first time I read it can voted from outside the US with skype..) BUT not winning actually helped chris, he got a record deal, released albums, toured and one of the selected few who is still successful. even if I am not that fond of his post idol music.. 

anyways two good things came out of this: i joined idolforums which is more entertaining.. and become friends with someone from the official idol board who shared my feelings and taste of music and we are still friends to this day.. 

I agree with Chris not winning or even being in the Top 2 being the best thing to happen to him; I thought so at the time of his elimination and even mentioned it in his write-up. He had the advantage of the buzz from his elimination, plus he was able to form a band, where I felt he was best-suited, and create the music he wanted without the strings attached and binding contract the winner and/or runner up had to deal with. One only has to look what happened to Bo the previous year as to what may have happened to Chris had he finished in the Top 2. At least you found idolforums and found a friend from the official idol board. 👍

27 minutes ago, miss denise said:

I hope to catch up tomorrow. ❤️ 

It's OK; to quote Richard Marx (in Ryan's voice when he sang this during the S13 finale): I will be right here waiting for you. 🤗 😁

8 hours ago, blackfield said:

At least a lot of good came out of it. He’s one of the most successful Idol alums. 😄

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CarmenSandiego said:

Next up is Kelly.

She deserved to win her season, especially after Tamyra was eliminated.  She is probably the best winner.

No disagreement from me! She was certainly the most important, that's for sure!

I'm thinking about doing some more Idol related rankings; however, they'll be in a separate thread. If I do decide to go through with it, it'll most likely be posted this weekend. I already have a couple of ideas in mind; however, I'll try to make it more interactive and take requests from posters as to what they would like to see ranked. I'm just curious to see if anyone would be interested. Of course, I still plan on being active in this thread. 👍

• Like 1

On 8/11/2020 at 10:14 PM, Crisis said:

Admittedly I can be protective of Katharine, though not as much as Haley Scarnato (just to clarify which Haley I'm talking about 😅). I guess the main reason is because despite having many detractors, Katharine still has a huge fanbase and number of supporters so I don't have to be as protective, whereas Haley sadly to this day is still talked about negatively but doesn't appear to have many supporters. It's understandable for people to think Kelly would be the safe pick, so I don't blame anyone for thinking she would be my all-time favorite.

002. Yeah, some days I preferred Tamyra and others I preferred Kelly but decided to place Kelly ahead of her. That's right, she is judging AGT right now because Simon is recovering from his back surgery. Again, I agree with pretty much everything written here. I liked that she went back to a more pop/R&B/soul sound with Meaning of Life. I'm ready for a new album as well; however, I think Kelly unfortunately has other things to deal with before entertaining another album. Maybe she can use what's she going through to fuel her for some new material should she make another one.

I'll have to think about the trophy...🤭

Ah yes, that makes sense with the comparison between Katharine and Haley. I still get very protective of my biggest favorites, even if they do have tons of fans. :haha: 

It's true Kelly has a lot going on both professionally and personally. :( I look forward to new music from her whenever it comes. ❤️ 

I didn't get a trophy. :/:dead:  I'm just messing with you. ❤️:giggle: 

001. Katharine McPhee: I have to mention before I forget that your little poems are so cute and clever. :haha:  Well done with those. Kat and I had any interesting journey on the show. I started out as a fan, although I don't remember exactly where she ranked among my favorites. Certain performances of hers I LOVED and others I didn't care for at all. It's mainly because of what you mentioned regarding her vocal registers. I love her voice in that lower range, but it was often too much for me when she'd go higher into, as you said, the "screechy" parts.  But when she was on, she was really on. Love your comment about playing poker. :haha:  Aww and I also love how you talk about her being the first contestant you voted for and all that. I know that makes her extra special for you. ❤️  Wow, sorry to hear about those nicknames she was called. :/ :( Definitely not okay.  I am surprised to learn it took you awhile to love Kat! SIFFY is still one of my favorites of hers, but then it was weeks before I really loved another one of her performances. Oh my at some of your comments on her looks :dead:  But yeah, I completely agree on TVW (which is I song I LOVE) and those are the things in her voice I struggled with. Only made worse by the judges praise. :haha:  So, I did have a bit of a rocky fandom with her throughout the season. Love that you mentioned the 2-hour power voting because I definitely did that with multiple phones for some people back in the day. :wub:  BOTE is actually a favorite of mine from her too and randomly WWTLF which, on paper, probably isn't one I'd expect to love.  STWOM was probably my personal favorite though. Her voice was perfection there. :wub:  Oh, I loved BHATCT as well! But yeah, Elvis night was not good for me for her (starting to sound like Randy here :giggle:  ) with those two performances. I was a big fan of Chris, so that was definitely a hard elimination to take coming off those particular performances as well... although I know it's obviously not her fault. Emotions can get in the way in moments like that, but I'm definitely not one to bash a contestant or anything like that. I've been on other side and know how it feels towards your favorite. :(:hug: SOTR is amazing and another great highlight of her voice. I wasn't a fan of her other two performances that night.... but I was a fan of My Destiny. :dead:  I feel like that song's biggest fan somehow. I don't know what it is, but I loved it a lot and her studio version of it. This was probably the start of my Kat song obsession because once her debut album came out, I was in love with and played (and still play) those songs to death. :haha:  I am happy for her other success as well, even though I haven't watched her shows or anything. I am forever indebted to her self-titled album, at least. :haha:  I do consider myself a fan and her one of my favorites of the season when all is said and done... even if my own feelings on her were very inconsistent during the show.  I loved your write-up her and it's sweet how special she is to you. ❤️ 

Oh no, the list is over. 😢 But you did an amazing job! :clap: Such great work. I thoroughly enjoyed reading through all your thoughts and love how you had a great balance of critique and compliments throughout your write-ups. It was fun to see your taste in contestants, which at times was very different from mine. :haha: But we found some in common too! And more so than all of that, I've really enjoyed getting to know you and making a new friend! ❤️ :hug:OMG your story of this whole thread being an accident? :dead:  I'm so shocked to learn this. Hahahaha well I'm glad it happened. :giggle:  And if you PM me to delete your next list, I'll refuse. :giggle:Just kidding. But if you do decide to do any other kinds of rankings in here, I'd definitely been interested and comment! 😄 This has been so much fun. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/12/2020 at 7:29 AM, Crisis said:

I'm happy to see you loved reading it! Fair enough about Kat. Regarding Waitress, that's right she ended up leaving because her father passed away. :( 💔 Speaking of whom, I remember when the cameras would show him in the audience crying whenever Kat performed; it was pretty obvious to see how proud he was of her. ❤️ Also, it was pretty cool to see her mother and sister as vocal coaches during the Hollywood Rounds for a few seasons (I'm not sure if they still are).

Oh my goodness, I remember her dad and had no idea he had passed. 😢😢 I'm so sad to hear. :broken: 

8 hours ago, Crisis said:

I'm thinking about doing some more Idol related rankings; however, they'll be in a separate thread. If I do decide to go through with it, it'll most likely be posted this weekend. I already have a couple of ideas in mind; however, I'll try to make it more interactive and take requests from posters as to what they would like to see ranked. I'm just curious to see if anyone would be interested. Of course, I still plan on being active in this thread. 👍

I’m looking forward to it! 😁

• Like 1

23 hours ago, miss denise said:

:hug:Beautiful singing. ❤️ :giggle: 

Thank you! Maybe I should audition for Idol next season! :mrgreen: :giggle:

23 hours ago, miss denise said:

Ah yes, that makes sense with the comparison between Katharine and Haley. I still get very protective of my biggest favorites, even if they do have tons of fans. :haha: 

It's true Kelly has a lot going on both professionally and personally. :( I look forward to new music from her whenever it comes. ❤️ 

I didn't get a trophy. :/:dead:  I'm just messing with you. ❤️:giggle: 

001. Katharine McPhee: I have to mention before I forget that your little poems are so cute and clever. :haha:  Well done with those. Kat and I had any interesting journey on the show. I started out as a fan, although I don't remember exactly where she ranked among my favorites. Certain performances of hers I LOVED and others I didn't care for at all. It's mainly because of what you mentioned regarding her vocal registers. I love her voice in that lower range, but it was often too much for me when she'd go higher into, as you said, the "screechy" parts.  But when she was on, she was really on. Love your comment about playing poker. :haha:  Aww and I also love how you talk about her being the first contestant you voted for and all that. I know that makes her extra special for you. ❤️  Wow, sorry to hear about those nicknames she was called. :/ :( Definitely not okay.  I am surprised to learn it took you awhile to love Kat! SIFFY is still one of my favorites of hers, but then it was weeks before I really loved another one of her performances. Oh my at some of your comments on her looks :dead:  But yeah, I completely agree on TVW (which is I song I LOVE) and those are the things in her voice I struggled with. Only made worse by the judges praise. :haha:  So, I did have a bit of a rocky fandom with her throughout the season. Love that you mentioned the 2-hour power voting because I definitely did that with multiple phones for some people back in the day. :wub:  BOTE is actually a favorite of mine from her too and randomly WWTLF which, on paper, probably isn't one I'd expect to love.  STWOM was probably my personal favorite though. Her voice was perfection there. :wub:  Oh, I loved BHATCT as well! But yeah, Elvis night was not good for me for her (starting to sound like Randy here :giggle:  ) with those two performances. I was a big fan of Chris, so that was definitely a hard elimination to take coming off those particular performances as well... although I know it's obviously not her fault. Emotions can get in the way in moments like that, but I'm definitely not one to bash a contestant or anything like that. I've been on other side and know how it feels towards your favorite. :(:hug: SOTR is amazing and another great highlight of her voice. I wasn't a fan of her other two performances that night.... but I was a fan of My Destiny. :dead:  I feel like that song's biggest fan somehow. I don't know what it is, but I loved it a lot and her studio version of it. This was probably the start of my Kat song obsession because once her debut album came out, I was in love with and played (and still play) those songs to death. :haha:  I am happy for her other success as well, even though I haven't watched her shows or anything. I am forever indebted to her self-titled album, at least. :haha:  I do consider myself a fan and her one of my favorites of the season when all is said and done... even if my own feelings on her were very inconsistent during the show.  I loved your write-up her and it's sweet how special she is to you. ❤️ 

Oh no, the list is over. 😢 But you did an amazing job! :clap: Such great work. I thoroughly enjoyed reading through all your thoughts and love how you had a great balance of critique and compliments throughout your write-ups. It was fun to see your taste in contestants, which at times was very different from mine. :haha: But we found some in common too! And more so than all of that, I've really enjoyed getting to know you and making a new friend! ❤️ :hug:OMG your story of this whole thread being an accident? :dead:  I'm so shocked to learn this. Hahahaha well I'm glad it happened. :giggle:  And if you PM me to delete your next list, I'll refuse. :giggle:Just kidding. But if you do decide to do any other kinds of rankings in here, I'd definitely been interested and comment! 😄 This has been so much fun. 

I know from first hand experience how protective you can be of your favorites. :ph34rwave: :haha:

Yeah, I pretty much feel the same way regarding Kelly.

You might want to check the lower right corner of your post...:mrgreen:

001. First of all, thank you for the kind words about my poems. I thought to add something extra to the Top 10 since I was only posting them one at a time. As for your comments on Kat, I'm going to go out of order some. I agree about her range and being really on when she was on her A-game. Her being the first contestant I voted for absolutely makes her special. Yeah, those nicknames were not fun at all. :( Seeing how much of a fan I am of hers now, I'm surprised it took me that long myself. :dead: LOL at you power voting for two hours on multiple phones back in the day for your favorites :dead:; I certainly don't miss those days, though I did what I felt I had to do. :dead: Completely agree at her voice being perfection on STWOM:wub: Yeah, unfortunately Elvis night wasn't her best night and I knew she would be at a disadvantage going in, but at least she tried her pretty butt off that night. Chris was my third favorite, so while I was ecstatic Kat was safe, I was disappointed about Chris' elimination as well (why couldn't it have been Taylor, though I really didn't have any issues with him? 🥺). I agree about bashing contestants over something they have no control over. It was tough experiencing it with Kat, then I had to go through it twice the following season with Haley (Sabrina and Gina). On the flip side, I've had favorites who were on the other side (Tamyra, LaToya, and Pia), but not once did I blame the contestant who was in the bottom with them for it, or completely safe in Jasmine's case. I don't think I've heard the studio version of My Destiny; it would probably grow on me if I do listen to it. I have another confession to make: I wasn't too enamored with her debut album at first because I was disappointed with the direction she chose to go in. However, as a die-hard McPhan, I bought it to support her, and it ended up growing on me after a few listens. The one song that took me the longest to get into was Open Toes because I felt it was a novelty song; however, it grew on me as a guilty pleasure then I ended up genuinely liking it. :haha: My absolute favorite track, however, is Neglected. I just love the melody and how her voice sounds on it (this gives me an idea for another topic, but I have other ideas I want to explore first and besides, I don't want to flood the American Idol subforum with my topics :haha:). I'm happy to see she is one of your favorites and thank you for the kind words about my write-up on her :hug:; I really wanted to make it special. :wub: Going back to my poker comment, I know I said I could clean house playing her; however, the truth is I would probably be so distracted by her beauty I wouldn't be able to fully concentrate; :dead: maybe after I get used to it I could do some damage. :haha: Speaking of her beauty, as for my comments on her looks, well...

Katharine+McPhee+American+Idol-takeaweirdbreak.blogspot.com-Katharine_McPhee5.jpg Katharine-McPhee.png Katharine_McPhee_at_Camp_Conival_2016.jpg katharine-mcphee-2018-princess-grace-awards-gala-8.jpg

Could you blame me (I couldn't find any pictures of what I talked about in her write-up, so I went for a couple of pics from her younger days and some within the past five years or so :haha:)? :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: 

At least I kept them PG (or at least tried to, though I'm pretty sure I would've been called out if I went too far 🤣).

Thank you for the kind words about my list. I tried to have a balance of compliments, critiques, and humor in my write-ups and hoped everyone who read them found something they enjoyed. It did appear we had a few in common though there were some differences (the major one probably being Gabby, though it's good to see she's doing well for herself right now despite not being a fan of hers :haha:). I am completely honored to be considered a friend, it means a lot to read this. While this thread may have been an accident, I'm glad I went through with it because it was nice although sometimes intimidating to see what others thought of my opinions on the contestants and got to know some posters as well. I now know If I need something deleted, I know I'll have to go elsewhere. :dead: As for other rankings, as mentioned I have some ideas in mind; I'm just working some of them out and maybe will start one this weekend. We'll see what happens.

• Like 1

002. Kelly Clarkson - Obviously the standard! One of the best Idol runs and if it weren't for her we probably wouldn't be on IDF now. Stuff Like That There still remains iconic. I also love that she is so suppotive of her sngers on the Voice because she knows how she got her start.

001. Katharine McPhee: I am not surprised she's your favorite Idol considering where you ranked Haley. :giggle: She was my second favorite behind Chris during her season, I liked Until You Come Back to Me, Come Rain or Come Shine, Bringing Out the Elvis (not here for the Faith shade), Someone to Watch Over Me, Black Horse and the Cherry Tree, and Ain't Got Nothin But the Blues in particular. I liked SOTR too but I've always found it a bit overrated. While I preferred Kat more overall, Taylor did much better in the finale and deserved his win. I'm glad Kat's doing well for herself though. 

Great list! 😄 Was fun to follow one of these again.

10 hours ago, ~Tom~ said:

002. Kelly Clarkson - Obviously the standard! One of the best Idol runs and if it weren't for her we probably wouldn't be on IDF now. Stuff Like That There still remains iconic. I also love that she is so suppotive of her sngers on the Voice because she knows how she got her start.

001. Katharine McPhee: I am not surprised she's your favorite Idol considering where you ranked Haley. :giggle: She was my second favorite behind Chris during her season, I liked Until You Come Back to Me, Come Rain or Come Shine, Bringing Out the Elvis (not here for the Faith shade), Someone to Watch Over Me, Black Horse and the Cherry Tree, and Ain't Got Nothin But the Blues in particular. I liked SOTR too but I've always found it a bit overrated. While I preferred Kat more overall, Taylor did much better in the finale and deserved his win. I'm glad Kat's doing well for herself though. 

Great list! 😄 Was fun to follow one of these again.

002. Agree completely with everything here! I don't watch The Voice all that much, but one thing I have noticed is how supportive she and Blake are of their singers and are willing to go the extra mile to ensure they're taken care of after the show. It definitely makes sense for Kelly because as mentioned, it's the same way she got her start.

001. What's that supposed to mean?! 😠 😁 All jokes aside, I agree with the list of favorite performances from. I've been shading Faith Hill throughout this thread; I'm surprised it took someone this long to notice. 🤭 With that said, there are two positives about her: she did my favorite SNF theme, and she's a much better singer than her husband. 🤭 Back to Kat, I'm happy she's doing well for herself as well. 😁

I'm happy to see you enjoyed the list! 😁

Looking forward to whatever you do! 😅

👍

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Bk1234 said:

You forgot the stunning I Have Nothing dress. :wub:

Believe it or not, that was not one of my favorite looks of hers. I liked the face and hair but didn't care too much for the dress. Nonetheless, it was cool and funny to see she still had it and apparently can still fit into it. 😆

katharine-mcphee-american-idol-yellow-dress.jpg katharine-mcphee-american-idol-yellow-dress.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/14/2020 at 7:38 AM, Crisis said:

@miss denise, I have to head out now, but I will definitely respond to your posts this evening because I don't think I'll have enough time to reply to everything during lunch. 😆

:hug: This is the situation for me right now as well. :haha:  If I don't reply back tonight, I will tomorrow! I just noticed you mentioned maybe already starting something else soon, so I'll definitely be watching. :shiftywave: 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Bk1234 said:

@Crisis Can you tag me when/if you make another thread? 

You got it! 😄

22 hours ago, miss denise said:

:hug: This is the situation for me right now as well. :haha:  If I don't reply back tonight, I will tomorrow! I just noticed you mentioned maybe already starting something else soon, so I'll definitely be watching. :shiftywave: 

I'm looking forward to your reply! 😁 🤗

• Thanks 1