@blackfield: Katharine McPhee

@laumopera: Katharine McPhee

@miss denise: Katharine McPhee

Who will appear at #4:

There has to be some kind of hint
As to where number two went

4. Elliott Yamin: Season 5 (3rd Place)

elliott-yamin_sc_768x1024.png

At #4 is the second to last S5 finalist as well as the last male, making him my all-time favorite Idol contestant of that gender. Elliott’s Idol journey was a bit of an improbable story. He didn’t receive much airtime prior to the voting rounds; however, he managed to string together a number of strong performances and captured the hearts of a lot of voters along the way en route to outlasting a number of more popular contestants and a third place finish. What was even more amazing about Elliott was along with him being a Type 1 diabetic who had to wear an insulin pump, he was almost completely deaf in one ear, so for him to be able to sing as well as he did on key most of the time was certainly nothing to sneeze at. In addition, he claimed he never rehearsed or warmed up his voice prior to performing and therefore winged it most of the time (which while it worked for him may not be the best thing to do, LOL). Finally, who could forget about his mother, who may have very well been the best Idol parent (may she RIP). As mentioned, he barely received any airtime prior to the voting rounds; the only time I recall seeing him was when he was in a group with one of the infamous Brittenum twins 🤮, who was complaining about Elliott not being around much to rehearse (which we later found out his mother had collapsed around that time and had to tend to her). However, Elliott was the best of the group, which Randy acknowledged. From there, we would next see him in the semis where he would give a strong performance of If You Really Love Me. The following week he would give my favorite semifinals performance of his with Moody’s Mood For Love, which is a really tricky song to sing, yet he handled it with aplomb. He would follow that with Heaven, which was OK although it was the weakest of the three. He would be voted into the finals where he would give, I hate to say this, a rather disappointing performance of Knocks Me Off My Feet. Seeing that Elliott did well on a Stevie Wonder song in the semis, it was expected he’d do well on a theme that seemed to be well-suited for him; however, his performance while not bad was just OK. Then again, I’ve said before that KMOFM can come off as boring without any dramatic changes to it. He would rebound the following week with Teach Me Tonight, which was one of the better performances in a night full of strong ones. The next week he would show a different side of him by moving around more and putting an urban spin on I Don’t Wanna Be, which was probably my favorite on an otherwise weak night. Unfortunately, Elliott would follow that with a rather weak version of If Tomorrow Never Comes, where he looked uncomfortable and unsure of himself throughout the performance; it would be the first week he would land in the B3. He was able to make up for it the following week with a very good performance of Somebody To Love, yet he found himself in the B3 again. Regardless, he followed that with a strong performance of It Had To Be You; I especially liked the playful charm he added to it. It was my third favorite of the night behind Kat and Paris. However, it would be the following week where Elliott would have his brightest moment of the season with his iconic performance of A Song For You. It was easy to see this was a song he had sung a number of times because not only was he on point throughout it, he sang it with a lot of conviction and feeling; with that said, the thing I remember about it the most was Paula being reduced to an teary incoherent (well, more than usual 😅) mess afterwards. The following week Elliott would have kind of mixed results. His first performance, On Broadway, was inconsistent in which he had some good and bad moments. His second performance, Home, was probably his most underrated performance of the season. It was a very solid vocal, though it appeared he was playing with fire when he was singing about wanting to go home. 😅 He found himself in the B2 the following night but managed to hang on to sing another day. The following week it was thought Elliott’s underdog run would come to an end because it appeared to be obvious he had the weakest fan support of the remaining four, so in order to have a chance to make it to the subsequent week he would really need to have a strong night. So, what does Elliott do? He looked at the daunting task ahead of him, told everyone to hold his beer, and went out and kicked :censored: on both of his performances, outperforming everyone. If I Can Dream started out rough with a handful of bad notes, as it appeared he was nervous and his vibrato got out of hand; however, he smoothed it out and proceeded to give a strong vocal the rest of the way. Trouble was a fun, balls-to-the-wall, performance that screamed “I’m not going down so easily!”. It was clear to see he figured he had nothing to lose, so he went out and performed as if it would be his last week on the show; it certainly paid off because not only did he make it to the Top 3, he wasn’t even in the B2. I was hoping Elliott would somehow keep up the momentum during Top 3; however, while he wasn’t bad by any means, he didn’t exactly have a great night either. I think his momentum was halted when Clive gave him Open Arms, which was a song that was ill-suited for a singer like him (then again, I think I said this before, but all three of Clive’s picks sucked). He did what he could with it, but the song was obviously too big for him. Paula’s pick, What You Won’t Do For Love, while better still wasn’t the best song for Elliott. I personally love the song; however, it’s not really a song to sing for a chance at the finale. With that said, while I felt Elliott did a good job, he could’ve done more with it. His final song, I Believe To My Soul, was my favorite of the night, yet it wasn’t the Hail Mary he needed to have a fighting chance to advance. Sadly, Elliott would be predictably eliminated the following night, though the results were closer than I thought because they released the percentage of votes each contestant received, and they all were within a few points of each other. I was hoping for a Kat/Elliott finale, but I knew Taylor wasn’t going anywhere although it looked like it could’ve been very much a possibility based on the results. Elliott has done well for himself post-Idol with him releasing a few albums and even having a hit with Wait For You. Also, I loved the song he and Kat did together on Randy's album. Finally, he has certainly had the biggest physical transformation of any Idol contestant; he looks way different now than from when we first saw him, to which I say good for him. Overall, Elliott is someone I am definitely a fan of and consider him to be a huge favorite as well as worthy of being the last male standing of my finalists ranking list.

004. Elliott Yamin

Updated list of season favorites:

S01:

S02: Kimberley Locke

S03: LaToya London

S04: Bo Bice

S05: Katharine McPhee

S06: Haley Scarnato

S07: David Cook

S08: Allison Iraheta

S09: Crystal Bowersox

S10: Pia Toscano

S11: Elise Testone

S12: Candice Glover

S13: Jessica Meuse

S14: Quentin Alexander

S15: La'Porsha Renae

S16: Jurnee

S17: Laci Kaye Booth

S18: Jovin Webb

To quote a Genesis album, and then there were three:

Kelly Clarkson

Tamyra Gray

Katharine McPhee

After three pretty easy clues, it looks like this one stumped everyone. :haha: You have to be familiar with Elliott's post-Idol career to get it. Elliott has two songs titled One Word and 3 Words; he obviously skipped Two Words, so it makes sense to ask where did the number two go. 😆

We're down to the final three; all three are talented and fierce ladies in their own right! My #1 is set in stone; however, honestly I'm still vacillating between #2 and #3, though I love them all. From this point on, if anyone want to still guess who may appear next, they may do so. However, since there are only three left, I won't give any more clues. I'll still hand out trophies to anyone who guesses correctly. I'll probably have #3 up tomorrow, so hopefully everyone's looking forward to who will show up next! 😁

8 hours ago, Crisis said:

004. Elliott Yamin

Aah, my second favorite from Season 5 appears. I did not see this one coming since I haven’t followed Elliott much post Idol. 😅 Overall, he was a contestant that I was always amazed at. I can’t imagine how hard it is to stay on key when you’re nearly deaf. A Song For You would’ve been my favorite performance of the season, but I’m sure you know what Simon picked for Katharine during Top 3 night... 😅 Anyway, I would have preferred an Elliott and Katharine finale as well, but I also had a feeling that Taylor wasn’t going anywhere... 😒 I think part of the reason why Elliott came in third is because Elliott’s fans may have voted for both him and Taylor, since they were good friends. Taylor had a bigger fan base and was funny to watch, so I can see why he survived the cut. 

8 hours ago, Crisis said:

Kelly Clarkson

Tamyra Gray

Katharine McPhee

Ooh, this is tricky... I wanna say Kelly is first, but I feel like you’d go for something more original... If you put Katharine McPhee first, I’m convinced you’re actually Clark Beckham... I don’t really think Tamyra is going to outlast Kelly. 

@Crisis 

My Order Guess

1. Katharine McPhee 

2. Kelly Clarkson 

3. Tamyra Gray

Edited by Bk1234
  • Thanks 1

regarding elliot i remember in the top 3 the results were pretty close to 30-33%  for each one.  and i loved the duet he did with chris on the idol tour. 

@Crisis as for the ranking of your final 3 here is my guess: 

1. kelly

2. kat

3. tamyra

also now that you are almost done and congratulations about that I decided to take your list of favs from each season and match with my own... ;) i put my favs in a different color.. 

S01: my guess your fav is kelly clarkson - my fav is kelly as well basically because she is the only idol who managed to get an international success on her own (adam is famous because of queen and carrie's pretty minor in comparison) 

S02: Kimberley Locke - didn't watch. 

S03: LaToya London - Fantasia (like i mentioned earlier i knew she won as i saw the finale before the season  aired.. the magic of television..!!)  

S04: Bo Bice - Constantine and Bo were interchangeable for me. i loved constantine early on till he was voted off and then went for Bo. and there you have the half in common.. :haha:

S05: Katharine McPhee - Chris Daughtry

S06: Haley Scarnato - didn't have any favs.. i liked sundance head during the semi finals and then chris sligh. but wasn't interested in anyone in particular. 

S07: David Cook - Michael Johns 😢

S08: Allison Iraheta - Allison Iraheta (we got this one in common!! :hug:)

S09: Crystal Bowersox - Casey James 

S10: Pia Toscano - Paul Mcdonald

S11: Elise Testone - Hollie Cavanagh

S12: Candice Glover - NO ONE! argh the worst season of idol. :wacko:

S13: Jessica Meuse - Jessica Meuse (yeah! another one in common!.. :shiftywave:)

S14: Quentin Alexander - Jax

S15: La'Porsha Renae - Dalton Rapattoni

S16: Jurnee - Cade Foehner

S17: Laci Kaye Booth - didn't like anyone. very lackluster season. 

S18: Jovin Webb - Dillon James

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Bk1234 said:

Aah, my second favorite from Season 5 appears. I did not see this one coming since I haven’t followed Elliott much post Idol. 😅 Overall, he was a contestant that I was always amazed at. I can’t imagine how hard it is to stay on key when you’re nearly deaf. A Song For You would’ve been my favorite performance of the season, but I’m sure you know what Simon picked for Katharine during Top 3 night... 😅 Anyway, I would have preferred an Elliott and Katharine finale as well, but I also had a feeling that Taylor wasn’t going anywhere... 😒 I think part of the reason why Elliott came in third is because Elliott’s fans may have voted for both him and Taylor, since they were good friends. Taylor had a bigger fan base and was funny to watch, so I can see why he survived the cut. 

Ooh, this is tricky... I wanna say Kelly is first, but I feel like you’d go for something more original... If you put Katharine McPhee first, I’m convinced you’re actually Clark Beckham... I don’t really think Tamyra is going to outlast Kelly. 

@Crisis 

My Order Guess

1. Katharine McPhee 

2. Kelly Clarkson 

3. Tamyra Gray

I pretty much agree regarding your thoughts on Elliott. Seeing how close all three were in the total votes gave me slight hope Taylor could be beaten (I didn't mind Taylor all things considered, but Katharine and Elliott were my Top 2 that season). Sadly, that wasn't the case, which I'll talk about more in Kat's write-up.

Kat may very well be my all-time favorite. If I were Clark Beckham, I would definitely place myself higher than #31! 😂

5 hours ago, blackfield said:

regarding elliot i remember in the top 3 the results were pretty close to 30-33%  for each one.  and i loved the duet he did with chris on the idol tour. 

@Crisis as for the ranking of your final 3 here is my guess: 

1. kelly

2. kat

3. tamyra

also now that you are almost done and congratulations about that I decided to take your list of favs from each season and match with my own... ;) i put my favs in a different color.. 

S01: my guess your fav is kelly clarkson - my fav is kelly as well basically because she is the only idol who managed to get an international success on her own (adam is famous because of queen and carrie's pretty minor in comparison) 

S02: Kimberley Locke - didn't watch. 

S03: LaToya London - Fantasia (like i mentioned earlier i knew she won as i saw the finale before the season  aired.. the magic of television..!!)  

S04: Bo Bice - Constantine and Bo were interchangeable for me. i loved constantine early on till he was voted off and then went for Bo. and there you have the half in common.. :haha:

S05: Katharine McPhee - Chris Daughtry

S06: Haley Scarnato - didn't have any favs.. i liked sundance head during the semi finals and then chris sligh. but wasn't interested in anyone in particular. 

S07: David Cook - Michael Johns 😢

S08: Allison Iraheta - Allison Iraheta (we got this one in common!! :hug:)

S09: Crystal Bowersox - Casey James 

S10: Pia Toscano - Paul Mcdonald

S11: Elise Testone - Hollie Cavanagh

S12: Candice Glover - NO ONE! argh the worst season of idol. :wacko:

S13: Jessica Meuse - Jessica Meuse (yeah! another one in common!.. :shiftywave:)

S14: Quentin Alexander - Jax

S15: La'Porsha Renae - Dalton Rapattoni

S16: Jurnee - Cade Foehner

S17: Laci Kaye Booth - didn't like anyone. very lackluster season. 

S18: Jovin Webb - Dillon James

Based on our favorites, it looks like we don't have much in common. :haha: On some of these we're on almost completely different sides of the spectrum, mainly Seasons 14 and 16, with 4 being a half one. A couple we're not too far off; Fantasia is my second S3 favorite, and Chris D. and Hollie are my third favorites of their respective seasons. At least we have 2 1/2 in common!

I've taken note of the guesses thus far. I'll have #3 up tonight and will start working on #2; I plan to have that one up tomorrow evening.

Edited by Crisis
  • Thanks 1

006. David Cook - There was a time when I considdered him my #1 but not so much anymore. He's still my favorite male winner, delivering many iconic performances like Billie Jean, Baba O'Riley, The World I Know (so underrated), The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face, Little Sparrow, and Eleanor Rigby. I can acknowledge Hello was good but I found it a little boring, :ph34rwave: I thought he did better than David A on top 2 night so I was very glad he won. I wish he could've become the mainstream star that AI wanted but I enjoyed his debut and what I'm heard since. 

005. LaToya London - My season 3 favorite and one of my top 5 as well. ❤️ She delivered so many iconic performances like Don't Rain On My Parade, Somewhere, All the Time, and Ain't Goin' Down Till the Sun Comes Up (love this one, so underrated, I'm glad you loved it too), and All the Time. I wish she could've broken into the mainstream like the other two divas. 

004. Elliott Yamin - Great voice but the songs he picked he usually bored me to tears. I do have a few favorites from him but they are not popular ones: I Believe to My Soul, Home, and Trouble. A Song for You is also overrated due to the boring arrangement. :ph34rwave:

3 hours ago, Crisis said:

I pretty much agree regarding your thoughts on Elliott. Seeing how close all three were in the total votes gave me slight hope Taylor could be beaten (I didn't mind Taylor all things considered, but Katharine and Elliott were my Top 2 that season). Sadly, that wasn't the case, which I'll talk about more in Kat's write-up.

Kat may very well be my all-time favorite. If I were Clark Beckham, I would definitely place myself higher that #31! 😂

I tend to have a history of getting one of my favorites in the finale, while another favorite just misses out. 😅

Season 5- Katharine and Elliott 

Season 7- David A. and Syesha 

Season 10- Lauren and Haley 

Season 12- Candice and Angie

Season 16- Gabby and Michael 

Clark was disappointed to see that Katharine didn’t have a huge part in We Are The World! 😅 He said she was his favorite Idol alum, so I just figured you were him! (Lol, that makes no sense...) 😂 at the fact that Clark would’ve been higher. 

Edited by Bk1234

35 minutes ago, ~Tom~ said:

006. David Cook - There was a time when I considdered him my #1 but not so much anymore. He's still my favorite male winner, delivering many iconic performances like Billie Jean, Baba O'Riley, The World I Know (so underrated), The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face, Little Sparrow, and Eleanor Rigby. I can acknowledge Hello was good but I found it a little boring, :ph34rwave: I thought he did better than David A on top 2 night so I was very glad he won. I wish he could've become the mainstream star that AI wanted but I enjoyed his debut and what I'm heard since. 

005. LaToya London - My season 3 favorite and one of my top 5 as well. ❤️ She delivered so many iconic performances like Don't Rain On My Parade, Somewhere, All the Time, and Ain't Goin' Down Till the Sun Comes Up (love this one, so underrated, I'm glad you loved it too), and All the Time. I wish she could've broken into the mainstream like the other two divas. 

004. Elliott Yamin - Great voice but the songs he picked he usually bored me to tears. I do have a few favorites from him but they are not popular ones: I Believe to My Soul, Home, and Trouble. A Song for You is also overrated due to the boring arrangement. :ph34rwave:

006. Obviously he's my favorite winner as well. I pretty much agree with the performances listed except Baba O'Riley, if only because it was too short. It looked like he was on his way to being a mainstream star; however, his second album didn't do as well as many thought. At least he's doing his own thing now.

005. ❤️ It looks like All The Time was so great it was listed twice. ;) Outside of that, I enjoyed all of the performances listed and wished she could've broke into the mainstream as well.

004. Fair enough. The one criticism people had of Elliott was that he was boring. The arrangement of A Song For You may have been boring, but he sang that song with so much conviction he was able to overcome it.

36 minutes ago, Bk1234 said:

I tend to have a history of getting one of my favorites in the finale, while another favorite just misses out. 😅

Season 5- Katharine and Elliott 

Season 7- David A. and Syesha 

Season 10- Lauren and Haley 

Season 12- Candice and Angie

Season 16- Gabby and Michael 

Clark was disappointed to see that Katharine didn’t have a huge part in We Are The World! 😅He said she was his favorite Idol alum. 😂 at the fact that Clark would’ve been higher. 

I see. It looks like I have a few of those myself 😅:

S2: Ruben and Kimberley

S4. Bo and Vonzell

S5. Katharine and Elliott

Oh, it must've been in one of the review videos I didn't watch. 😅 To be fair, I don't think many of the alums had that big of a part in We Are The World. At least he appears to have good taste as far as his favorite Idol alum is concerned. :haha:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Crisis said:

005. ❤️ It looks like All The Time was so great it was listed twice. ;) Outside of that, I enjoyed all of the performances listed and wished she could've broke into the mainstream as well.

Oops meant Rhythm is Gonna Get You, another underrated gem from her. ❤️ 

Oh, I totally forgot! 😂 With the ranking of David Cook, we now know that Kelly Clarkson is your favorite winner. She is probably my favorite winner too, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Kris Allen slipped above, since he’s one of my all-time favorites. 😅

3 hours ago, ~Tom~ said:

Oops meant Rhythm is Gonna Get You, another underrated gem from her. ❤️ 

It sure was, one of my favorites from her. ❤️

3 hours ago, Bk1234 said:

Oh, I totally forgot! 😂 With the ranking of David Cook, we now know that Kelly Clarkson is your favorite winner. She is probably my favorite winner too, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Kris Allen slipped above, since he’s one of my all-time favorites. 😅

Geez, that was something I forgot to add to the intro of his write-up. 😂 Well, it's probably for the better since it's long enough as it is. 😅

I would give my one hour warning before posting #3 because it's ready to go; however, I'll wait for @miss denise before doing so just in case she wants to take part. 😄

1 hour ago, Crisis said:

I would give my one hour warning before posting #3 because it's ready to go; however, I'll wait for @miss denise before doing so just in case she wants to take part. 😄

I'm catching up now! ❤️ Thank you for waiting. 

• Like 1

On 8/8/2020 at 12:05 PM, Crisis said:

Lucky you for not remembering Kamaria Ousley; I do, and unfortunately it's not positive memories. 🥶 Yes, we do have differing opinions of the remaining group, and I have a feeling (I'm putting this here just to be safe :haha:) I know the one we differ upon the most. :haha: Oh, one thing I forgot to mention in my write-up was I loved the duet of her and Taylor during the S15 finale (I thought it was funny and cool to see Taylor still having that purple jacket he bought during his season 😂).

Oh my, I am sorry about that. :haha: Yes, I'm sure your feeling is right based the comments I posted on all of them on here. :haha:  Ooh I can't actually remember LaToya and Taylor's duet... but I can remember a purple jacket! :dead: 

004. Elliott Yamin: In hindsight, I shouldn't have predicted Katharine when Elliott hadn't shown up, because I've thought for awhile that she was your S5 favorite. :haha:  I had no idea who to guess, so I just went with the majority. Silly me. Now I get the clue and it's clever! I am familiar with Elliott's music and know those songs, but I wouldn't have thought of that off the top of my head. :dead:  Anyway, I love Elliott and he is/was my favorite of the season. It's hard for me to say for sure at this point in time, but probably still is. I do remember him being one of my little underdogs and I was so happy with how well he did. :wub: I loved his first semis performance so much. I also remember him being diabetic and deaf in one ear, and of course remember his momma. ❤️  It's funny you mention the Brittenum twin complaining that Elliott wasn't around to rehearse after previously mentioning that Elliott claimed to never rehearse. :lmao: I would say that's why as (as a joke) he wasn't around :giggle: but ugh, so sad about his mom. :( I didn't remember that happening to her at that time. I loved a lot of his performances in the finals and have a soft spot for If Tomorrow Never Comes. :blushingwave:  I don't know why. I know he had better. But yess A Song For You was such an amazing moment for him. Aww I loved Home too. ❤️ I agree that Top 4 was incredible for him and he killed it on both songs! If I Can Dream is also one of my top favorites from him.  Yeah, I was sad his run ended at Top 3 and agree with a lot of what you said on those performances. :( At the same time, it was so amazing for him to get that far on nothing but his pure talent and ability. I bought his first two albums (plus a Christmas one) and absolutely ADORE Wait For You.  :wub:  I love a number of other songs too, but love that song so so much. It's been awhile, so time to go listen again. :giggle: 

Ahhh I don't know how to predict. You saying your #1 is cemented in stone.... for some reason makes me think it's either Kelly or Katharine, but then doesn't necessarily mean I think they're the Top 2 together. I don't really see Kelly coming in at #3 though, but also not sure I could see a Kelly/Tamyra Top 2, although that would be something. 😮  I guess I'll predict Tamyra #3 as a safe choice. @Crisis

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, miss denise said:

Oh my, I am sorry about that. :haha: Yes, I'm sure your feeling is right based the comments I posted on all of them on here. :haha:  Ooh I can't actually remember LaToya and Taylor's duet... but I can remember a purple jacket! :dead: 

004. Elliott Yamin: In hindsight, I shouldn't have predicted Katharine when Elliott hadn't shown up, because I've thought for awhile that she was your S5 favorite. :haha:  I had no idea who to guess, so I just went with the majority. Silly me. Now I get the clue and it's clever! I am familiar with Elliott's music and know those songs, but I wouldn't have thought of that off the top of my head. :dead:  Anyway, I love Elliott and he is/was my favorite of the season. It's hard for me to say for sure at this point in time, but probably still is. I do remember him being one of my little underdogs and I was so happy with how well he did. :wub: I loved his first semis performance so much. I also remember him being diabetic and deaf in one ear, and of course remember his momma. ❤️  It's funny you mention the Brittenum twin complaining that Elliott wasn't around to rehearse after previously mentioning that Elliott claimed to never rehearse. :lmao: I would say that's why as (as a joke) he wasn't around :giggle: but ugh, so sad about his mom. :( I didn't remember that happening to her at that time. I loved a lot of his performances in the finals and have a soft spot for If Tomorrow Never Comes. :blushingwave:  I don't know why. I know he had better. But yess A Song For You was such an amazing moment for him. Aww I loved Home too. ❤️ I agree that Top 4 was incredible for him and he killed it on both songs! If I Can Dream is also one of my top favorites from him.  Yeah, I was sad his run ended at Top 3 and agree with a lot of what you said on those performances. :( At the same time, it was so amazing for him to get that far on nothing but his pure talent and ability. I bought his first two albums (plus a Christmas one) and absolutely ADORE Wait For You.  :wub:  I love a number of other songs too, but love that song so so much. It's been awhile, so time to go listen again. :giggle: 

Ahhh I don't know how to predict. You saying your #1 is cemented in stone.... for some reason makes me think it's either Kelly or Katharine, but then doesn't necessarily mean I think they're the Top 2 together. I don't really see Kelly coming in at #3 though, but also not sure I could see a Kelly/Tamyra Top 2, although that would be something. 😮  I guess I'll predict Tamyra #3 as a safe choice. @Crisis

Me too. 😅 I remember the duet because it was one of my favorite moments and as for the jacket, that thing is virtually impossible to forget seeing how bright it is! :dead: Seeing that he blew his entire weekly wardrobe on it, it makes sense for him to get as much mileage out of it as possible! :lmao:

004. I would probably say seven times out of ten, if it's between a guy and a pretty girl when it comes to my two favorites of any given season, go with the pretty girl. :dead: Yeah, that clue appeared to be a tricky one. :haha: I appreciate a good underdog story, and Elliott definitely had one of them; if not for Kris Allen, Elliott probably would've had the best Idol underdog story. Now that you mention it, it totally makes sense for him to skip out on the group rehearsals seeing he claimed he never really did. :haha: Outside of this, I pretty much agree with everything written here in terms of his performances. I also bought his first two albums, though I didn't get the Christmas one. Wait For You is a great song, and I remember him performing it during the S6 Top 3 Results Show where Simon gave him a bit of a hard time afterwards in a joking kind of way. :lmao:

Well, now that you've responded and made your guess, we'll find out who it is in my next post, which will hopefully be within the next hour. 👍

It's time to post #3! Here's what we have as far as the guesses are concerned:

@Bk1234: Tamyra Gray

@blackfield: Tamyra Gray

@miss denise: Tamyra Gray

Let's unveil which lady it is...

Can't rely upon the past
Because the first could be the last
 :(

3. Tamyra Gray: Season 1 (4th Place)

tamyragray-7.jpg

Coming in at #3 is the lovely Tamyra Gray. Seeing that the last S1 contestant ranked was RJ Helton at #80, it shows how big I thought the gap was between Tamyra and Kelly and the rest of the finalists that season. :haha: Tamyra was an outstanding singer who for the most part handled whatever was thrown at her. In addition, she appeared to be down to earth as well. Needless to say, she was someone who I looked forward to on a weekly basis during S1. Tamyra was someone who was thought to be a serious contender for the crown based on the hype and airtime she received prior to the voting rounds, though that isn’t saying much due to there being only one audition and one Hollywood episode at the time; with all that said, based on her run and performances given, these claims appeared to be valid. Nonetheless, despite the strong performances and high praise, Tamyra not only did not win the crown, she didn’t even reach the finale, which was really disappointing to see. Tamyra started off the show, let along the semifinals with a bang with a powerful rendition of And I Am Telling You I’m Not Going, which I thought was easily the best of the night. I think I remember an interview in which she said she was nervous and felt a lot of pressure because she was the first live performance of the series and didn’t want to mess up; needless to say, she certainly didn’t mess up. She would be voted into the finals, where she would sing Touch Me In The Morning, which was a very solid number. What I really liked about it was she displayed the right type of emotions on the parts where they were needed. She followed that mid-tempo number with a fun, sassy performance of Fool In Love. It was a great performance, no question about it; however, it would be overshadowed by another great one later that evening (*hint hint*). She would follow that with yet another stellar performance of If I Were Your Woman; I loved the vocal dynamics displayed with her starting soft before showing off her power at the end. The following week she would sing Minnie The Moocher, which was an outstanding performance on a very difficult song to sing. I thought she absolutely nailed the yodeling parts and brought class and dignity to the performance overall. The most heralded performance of the night was Kelly’s Stuff Like That There and rightfully so; however, I thought Tamyra was right behind her and feel her performance doesn’t get enough credit in its own right. As great as all of her performances were up to that point, they all fall in comparison to the one that came after Minnie The Moocher; of course, I’m talking about A House Is Not A Home. While there have been decent, even great versions of the song (Jacob and La’Porsha), I still feel Tamyra’s version is the gold standard as far as Idol renditions are concerned. Before Elise came along with Whole Lotta Love, Tamyra’s AHINAH was my all-time favorite Idol performance, which is saying a lot considering there were a number of great performances during that ten year stretch; with that said, it’s still my second favorite performance. After that performance, it was thought a Kelly/Tamyra showdown at the finale was all but inevitable; however, things don’t always go according to plan. After consistently delivering solid performances week in and week out, Tamyra would have her first, which would eventually turn out to be her last, off night. She would start the night by giving what was easily her worst performance of the season with New Attitude. The usually vocally on point Tamyra was off on a bunch of notes, plus she moved and danced awkwardly on stage; it was certainly a low point for her. She redeemed herself somewhat with her second performance Feel The Fire. It was a solid vocal though admittedly not as strong as her previous weeks. It was later discovered she and Kelly were sick that week, which explains why those two sounded off that evening. Tamyra would find herself in the bottom group for the first time all season the following night as she was paired with Nikki. It was thought Nikki, a frequent B2/B3 participant, would finally be eliminated that evening; however, in a somewhat unexpected turn of events, it was Tamyra who would be the lowest vote getter and the one to receive the pink slip. Her elimination is the original shock elimination and in some circles, still the most shocking elimination in Idol history, though I think Pia’s is definitely up there. So, what happened here? Well, one theory is that since it was the first season, Idol wasn’t the juggernaut it would become years down the road and therefore, there weren’t that many people watching. When it got down to the Top 4, supposedly more people tuned in to watch the performances and saw Tamyra have a bad night, which may have resulted in her receiving fewer votes. On the other hand, the much maligned Nikki had her best night all season; I would say she was the only one to have two solid performances whereas the other three had one good and one poor performance. Though I was (and still am) obviously a huge Tamyra fan, objectively I have to say Tamyra deserved her B2 placement that week; however, I’ve said this before, but if it were up to me Justin would’ve been down there with her, and he would’ve been the one eliminated. Nonetheless, as the Rolling Stones sang, you can’t always get what you want. One thing that stuck with me during her elimination was Simon giving the remaining three a warning about not resting on your laurels because no matter how good you’ve been in the past, you can be eliminated at any given moment, a lesson Tamyra learned the hard way. A final thing and possibly funny personal story about her elimination: I have an older cousin who had a huge crush on Tamyra and would only watch Idol whenever she was on. When she was eliminated, you’d think someone shot his dog in front of him the way he reacted; to this day we still give him a hard time over it. 🤣 Post-Idol I know Tamyra released an album and has dabbled in acting and performing on Broadway; I believe I watched a couple of episodes of Boston Public when she was on there. I’ve been meaning to give her album a listen but can’t seem to find it anywhere. One thing I definitely loved was the song You Thought Wrong she did with Kelly on the Thankful album. Furthermore, one of the main things she’s done was co-write the coronation song I Believe, which Fantasia definitely put her stamp on. While she didn’t really struggle by any means, it’s too bad her career wasn’t bigger; I guess before Jennifer Hudson blew up, contestants would have to appear in the Top 2 to have any shot at some mainstream success. Regardless, while her Idol run ended on a disappointing note, Tamyra is still considered to be one of the strongest contestants Idol’s ever had, and I agree wholeheartedly with it as she is one of my absolute favorites.

003. Tamyra Gray

Season favorites:

S01: Kelly Clarkson

S02: Kimberley Locke

S03: LaToya London

S04: Bo Bice

S05: Katharine McPhee

S06: Haley Scarnato

S07: David Cook

S08: Allison Iraheta

S09: Crystal Bowersox

S10: Pia Toscano

S11: Elise Testone

S12: Candice Glover

S13: Jessica Meuse

S14: Quentin Alexander

S15: La'Porsha Renae

S16: Jurnee

S17: Laci Kaye Booth

S18: Jovin Webb

The remaining finalists:

Kelly Clarkson

Katharine McPhee

We're down to the last two! It looks like everyone got this one right! There's one more chance to guess who will appear next because it wouldn't make much sense to guess who #1 is since it would be so obvious. :lmao: I'm almost done with #2 and should have that one up tomorrow evening. 👍

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Crisis said:

003. Tamyra Gray

Tamyra Gray- I unfortunately have not watched Season 1 so I can’t really say much... 😕 However, I have watched A House Is Not A Home and I will agree that it was a good performance. I don’t know if it’s the audio quality of the performances, but I’m not a HUGE fan of Tamyra’s voice. It could just be because I’ve only listened to AHINAH and Feel the Fire though. 😅 In terms of her elimination, you made some fair points about her elimination, and if I’m correct, Justin sang P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing) that night and left unscathed... 🤮 Tamyra is a contestant that I have on my “look into” list, so I’ll be sure to check her out someday. 😅

6 hours ago, Crisis said:

The remaining finalists:

Kelly Clarkson

Katharine McPhee

@Crisis I’m stilling sticking to my previous guess... 
1. Katharine McPhee

2. Kelly Clarkson 

Edited by Bk1234

3 hours ago, Bk1234 said:

Tamyra Gray- I unfortunately have not watched Season 1 so I can’t really say much... 😕 However, I have watched A House Is Not A Home and I will agree that it was a good performance. I don’t know if it’s the audio quality of the performances, but I’m not a HUGE fan of Tamyra’s voice. It could just be because I’ve only listened to AHINAH and Feel the Fire though. 😅 In terms of her elimination, you made some fair points about her elimination, and if I’m correct, Justin sang P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing) that night and left unscathed... 🤮 Tamyra is a contestant that I have on my “look into” list, so I’ll be sure to check her out someday. 😅

@Crisis I’m stilling sticking to my previous guess... 
1. Katharine McPhee

2. Kelly Clarkson 

Tamyra: I do hope you check her out more at some point; fair enough about not being a huge fan of her voice though. Yes, that was the week Justin sang P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing), which was a total abomination and unlike Tamyra and Kelly, he was healthy that week and therefore can't use that as an excuse. Oh well.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Tamyra: I do hope you check her out more at some point; fair enough about not being a huge fan of her voice though. Yes, that was the week Justin sang P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing), which was a total abomination and unlike Tamyra and Kelly, he was healthy that week and therefore can't use that as an excuse. Oh well.

I’ve been fortunate enough to have to watch Justin’s performance for my game... 😒

Edited by Bk1234

Ugh forgot to guess. Got busy and was planning to guess tonight, only to see that @Crisis had already posted his/her top 3. 🙄🙄🙄

I got it right anyway!!! 😉😉😉

I think Katharine Mcphee is next. I just cannot imagine anyone beating Kelly Clarkson.

This is my official guess 🙂

Edited by laumopera