Crisis On Hand: An American Idol Finalists Ranking List

Crisis

I dont really know many of the latter semifinalists so might just skip those. :ph34rwave:

010. Quentin Alexander - I loved I Put a Spell on You, but I feel he peaked there with the only other performances of his I loved being Sound of Silence, Master Blaster, and Jammin. Still pretty good for S14 standards though and I would've liked him to last longer. LOL @ the Sam Smith shade. :haha: 

009. Kimberley Locke - She should've won season 2. A lot of my faves from her are underrated like If You Ask Me To, Emotion, and Home. I obviously loved SOTR, New York State of Mind, My Heart Will Go On, Band of Gold and Inseparable too. Would've liked to see her in the finale instead of Ruben because her performnaces had a little more variety.

9 hours ago, Crisis said:

First, happy belated birthday! 🎂

Seeing as we're in the Top 10, I better love them or there'll be some serious problems...😂

Yes, they were spared...for now 👹 Consider it a birthday present. 😁

009. Fair enough about her. I don't mind melisma or runs all that much; it's just nice to see contestants sing without using them too much once in a while. It did appear she was close to Clay and Ruben; I think she even mentioned something along the lines of that during Top 3. Yes, 8th World Wonder and Wrong were the two songs off of the first album I played out but haven't heard in some time. I may have to join you and relisten to them. :haha:

Interesting guess. I'll post #8 tonight after work, so we'll see if it's right or not. :shiftywave:

Thanks so much! :wub: :hug: 

Aww it would be sad if you didn't love more than just a few contestants out of all these seasons. :( 

LOL you saying my favorites being spared is a birthday present when they are in your top 8 all-time favorites. :lmao: 😛 I'm fine with wherever they show up, but thank you. :hug: :teeheebounce:

I understand that! Ah yes, I think that whole group was close. ❤️ I'm not familiar with Wrong or the other song you mentioned in your write-up, so I think I'll check them out soon. :yes:  

I tried. :haha: Probably wrong, but I did my best. 

10 hours ago, Bk1234 said:

I also remember him singing The World I Know, so I considered him, but I don’t really consider Cook’s talent to be out of this world. I felt that his strengths were his artistry and his personality.

@Crisis I’m still sticking to LaToya London. 

It could very well be David Cook or LaToya London; we'll find out soon enough...

2 hours ago, Elliott said:

I'm guessing Tamyra for #8 since she was the original judges' favourite and that's what the clue makes me think. :haha:

Maybe...

1 hour ago, ~Tom~ said:

I dont really know many of the latter semifinalists so might just skip those. :ph34rwave:

010. Quentin Alexander - I loved I Put a Spell on You, but I feel he peaked there with the only other performances of his I loved being Sound of Silence, Master Blaster, and Jammin. Still pretty good for S14 standards though and I would've liked him to last longer. LOL @ the Sam Smith shade. :haha: 

009. Kimberley Locke - She should've won season 2. A lot of my faves from her are underrated like If You Ask Me To, Emotion, and Home. I obviously loved SOTR, New York State of Mind, My Heart Will Go On, Band of Gold and Inseparable too. Would've liked to see her in the finale instead of Ruben because her performnaces had a little more variety.

Honestly, I don't blame you because there isn't much to remember about them though I managed to find some. 😆

010. Fair enough about Quentin. Ha, my biggest issue with Sam Smith is that they seem to always sing about not wanting to be lonely and needing love, plus their songs are usually sung in this melodramatic way I don't care for. I guess it's not my thing. :haha:

009. I wouldn't have been mad if she did win. She did have a lot of solid performances and more variety than Ruben, so though I like Ruben, it would've been understandable had she made the finale instead of him (there was practically no chance Clay was not going to be in the finale :haha:).

1 hour ago, miss denise said:

Thanks so much! :wub: :hug: 

Aww it would be sad if you didn't love more than just a few contestants out of all these seasons. :( 

LOL you saying my favorites being spared is a birthday present when they are in your top 8 all-time favorites. :lmao: 😛 I'm fine with wherever they show up, but thank you. :hug: :teeheebounce:

I understand that! Ah yes, I think that whole group was close. ❤️ I'm not familiar with Wrong or the other song you mentioned in your write-up, so I think I'll check them out soon. :yes:  

I tried. :haha: Probably wrong, but I did my best. 

You're welcome! :hug:

Yes, it would be sad and invalidate this list as a whole. :(

Well, I was having fun and trying to lighten the mood. :mrgreen: At least it's the Top 8 and not the Bottom 8. :haha:

It did appear the whole group was close; this was most evident when most if not all of them got together to unfortunately celebrate Rickey's life after his death. :( I hope you'll enjoy the songs should you decide to check them out. 😁

We'll see...

Speaking of which, I should have #8 posted within an hour or so. 👍

42 minutes ago, CarmenSandiego said:

I liked Kimberley.  I would have liked her to make the finale instead of Ruben, but he had too big of a head start in gaining fans, and singing “Heatwave” only put her further behind.

Can't say I disagree with this, though I like Ruben.

#8 should be coming up in my next post. 👍

45 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Well, I was having fun and trying to lighten the mood. :mrgreen: At least it's the Top 8 and not the Bottom 8. :haha:

It did appear the whole group was close; this was most evident when most if not all of them got together to unfortunately celebrate Rickey's life after his death. :( I hope you'll enjoy the songs should you decide to check them out. 😁

We'll see...

Speaking of which, I should have #8 posted within an hour or so. 👍

You succeeded. :haha:  omg that would make me cry. :dead:  I'm being dramatic. Gabby was close to that though. 

Awww... I didn't hear about them all getting together. :(❤️ I listened to both songs already and really liked them! I think I may have actually heard Wrong before. The music video looks familiar, at least. You Don't Have to Be Strong reminds me of Alicia Keys. 😮 

I'm excited to see who it is. :shiftywave:

Here are the guesses that I know of; if I missed anyone, please let me know:

@Bk1234: LaToya London

@blackfield: Crystal Bowersox

@miss denise: David Cook

@Elliott: Tamyra Gray

Without further ado...

The talent of this finalist was unfurled
Often said to be out of this world

8. Elise Testone: Season 11 (6th Place)

fdd4af4ade4e38ac1646084b0a79b2a2.jpg

I think it’s about time to add some Testownage to this ranking! :mrgreen: With Elise’s appearance, all of S11 has been accounted for. With the powerful raspy voice that suited the soul/rock vibe she had going for her perfectly and her stylish 60s/70s fashion sense (plus I thought she was kind of attractive :stealth:), there wasn’t anything about Elise I didn’t love, or I certainly can’t think of anything if there was. :haha: If there were any knocks I could think of regarding her, one is that she was perceived to have an attitude problem; this was especially the case regarding I’m Your Baby Tonight. Outside of her perceived attitude, it was thought that she wasn’t as expressive with her feelings as much as the other contestants that season, and she was unable to connect with the audience from a personality standpoint, which may be one explanation why she was unable to really garner any support during the season. Because of this, I think Jimmy Iovine hit the nail on the head when he said more than anyone that season Elise was the one whose vote totals depending on her performances those given weeks, which was too bad. I don’t remember what Elise did prior to the Vegas Group Round performance of The Night Has A Thousand Eyes, but that is where she caught my attention. I thought she was the best of the group, though this was one of the few times Reed was tolerable and I was dying at how into the performance Eben was. 😂 Then there was her solo of It’s A Man’s, Man’s, Man’s World which I was very impressed with, so when it came to the semifinals, she was someone I was looking forward to hearing from. Needless to say, she delivered big time with One And Only; I found it interesting she and Jen Hirsch sang the same song that evening with Elise’s version being vastly superior, which may have played a role in sinking Jen’s chances of advancing any further despite being considered a favorite that season. Anyway, back to Elise, she would advance to the finals where she would unfortunately give an underwhelming performance of the aforementioned I’m Your Baby Tonight. She originally wanted to sing Greatest Love Of All; however, Jimmy suggested IYBT which I honestly thought was the better song for her. With that said, it was clear Elise wasn’t comfortable with the song, thought to be fair she only had two days to prepare according to her. She would find herself as the lowest female vote getter that week and thanks to the twist in which the judges decided who to keep out of the lowest male and female vote getters, Elise would be the one saved, in which I was grateful for because it wouldn’t have surprised me if she received the fewest votes that week, which if true... 🥶 Fortunately, Elise would redeem herself the following week with Let’s Stay Together, which was clearly a song she was more comfortable with. I really liked the intro when it was just her and the piano and personally wouldn’t have minded if the rest of the performance was like that; however, the part where the rest of the band came in was great as well. Despite a strong performance, Elise would find herself in the B3 that week but managed to hang on to sing another week. Next, she would sing Vienna, which I don’t believe is one of Billy Joel’s most known songs; however, I thought she gave a fun performance which I thought was the best of the night. I especially liked that sensual run she did at the end of it. Fortunately, Elise managed to avoid the B3 that week, which I was really happy to see. It would be the following week in which Elise had her biggest moment. She came out and said, “Adam Lambert who?!” with a kick:censored: performance of Whole Lotta Love, which not only is my favorite performance of Elise’s or my favorite performance of the season, it’s my all-time favorite performance in Idol history :wub:; that is one performance I can watch multiple times and not get bored of it. :wub: It had virtually everything: the strong vocals, showmanship, stage presence, sexiness, etc.; I could go on and on. Outside of the performance itself, the other thing I remember was she and Steven Tyler wore the same type of pants that evening. :haha: Finally, I also loved the pre-performance video where she and Stevie Nicks sang Dreams together. Unfortunately, Elise would take a step back the following week with I Want To Know What Love Is. It was pretty rough with the first 2/3 of it sounding out of tune before fixing it somewhat towards the end. After two weeks of being safe, Elise would find herself back in the B3 but lived to sing for another week. You And I was fine all things considered, though while it was miles better than the previous week, she’s done better; I will say it looked like she felt the song really well. I felt the same way about her first performance of No One the subsequent week. Let’s Get It On, on the other hand, was perhaps her weakest performance outside of I’m Your Baby Tonight. It sounded as if she played around with the melody a bit but took out the sensuality the song was known for. The following week, Elise would give one of the better Queen performances of the evening with I Want It All, which would be a much needed and appreciated return to her rock roots; her voice really sounded strong on that one. Next, she would give what I thought was her most underrated performance of the evening with Bold As Love. First, I was happy to hear Jimi Hendrix on Idol, so I loved the song choice. Second, I thought she did a great job with it; it appeared the main issue was the song being too obscure for the Idol audience and thus, Elise may not have resonated with the viewers. This seemed to be the case as she would be eliminated the following night. Post-idol she’s released a couple of albums. I listened to the first one, and it had this old school blues/rock/soul feel to it; I’ll have to find time to listen to the second one should I get my hands on it. Overall, in a season as strong as S11 was, Elise was the one that stood out to me the most and thus is my favorite of the season.

008. Elise Testone

Updated version of season's favorites:

S01:

S02: Kimberley Locke

S03: LaToya London

S04: Bo Bice

S05:

S06: Haley Scarnato

S07: David Cook

S08: Allison Iraheta

S09: Crystal Bowersox

S10: Pia Toscano

S11: Elise Testone

S12: Candice Glover

S13: Jessica Meuse

S14: Quentin Alexander

S15: La'Porsha Renae

S16: Jurnee

S17: Laci Kaye Booth

S18: Jovin Webb

The magnificent seven remaining:

Kelly Clarkson

Tamyra Gray

LaToya London

Katharine McPhee

Elliott Yamin

David Cook

Crystal Bowersox

It looks like the last clue stumped everyone pretty good. :haha: What I was going for was in the last line when I said often said to be out of this world, I was referring to alien, or extra-terrestrial, which can be shortened to E.T., which happens to be Elise's initials. I will say the LaToya London and David Cook guesses were really good and could've applied to the clue now looking at. Since I'm only doing one at a time now, I didn't want to make the clues too easy; however, this one may have been too much. 😅 To make up for it, I'll reward everyone who guessed a trophy and toss what should be a softball for #7:

Thought to have been best of season
Yet fell short for some reason

Edited by Crisis

18 minutes ago, miss denise said:

You succeeded. :haha:  omg that would make me cry. :dead:  I'm being dramatic. Gabby was close to that though. 

Awww... I didn't hear about them all getting together. :(❤️ I listened to both songs already and really liked them! I think I may have actually heard Wrong before. The music video looks familiar, at least. You Don't Have to Be Strong reminds me of Alicia Keys. 😮 

I'm excited to see who it is. :shiftywave:

No we can't have anyone crying on their birthday, at least not the sad kind! 😉

:stealth: about Gabby...

I believe Kimberly C. posted some pictures of them on some of her social media platforms, but I could be wrong about that though I do remember the pictures. Happy to see you liked both songs! Now that I think about it, YDHTBS does have an Alicia Keys vibe to it.

Well, the wait is over because #8 has been posted!

Kelly Clarkson

Tamyra Gray

LaToya London

Katharine McPhee

Elliott Yamin

David Cook

Crystal Bowersox

that clue could fit to either tamyra or latoya. i will go with tamyra gray who was considered the best on season 1 yet fell short and was eliminated at top 4. 

2 hours ago, blackfield said:

Kelly Clarkson

Tamyra Gray

LaToya London

Katharine McPhee

Elliott Yamin

David Cook

Crystal Bowersox

that clue could fit to either tamyra or latoya. i will go with tamyra gray who was considered the best on season 1 yet fell short and was eliminated at top 4. 

It can also be Crystal Bowersox. She was not my favorite but I believe she was the best finalist that season but fell short somehow.

• Thanks 1

To start off, it is time for some Idol birthday shout-outs! Happy Birthday Jessica Sanchez and Sonika Vaid! 🎉🎁

11 hours ago, Crisis said:

008. Elise Testone

Elise Testone- My fourth favorite S11 finalist (which is really good considering how talented the group was 👍). I think I’m Your Baby Tonight is one of the most underrated performances in Idol history! 😅 I love listening to it! I was disappointed to see that Elise was the bottom girl instead of “I-flunked-an-oversang-song Magrane.” The run at the end of Vienna was spectacular, and I think that’s when I really started to look forward to Elise. I like Whole Lotta Love enough, but it just doesn’t do it for me like it obviously does for you (yes, I was shocked when you said it was your all-time favorite performance 😂)! The yelling and weird arrangement just doesn’t appeal to me. I was pleasantly surprised to see her outlast Colton, but I knew she wouldn’t be able to outlast the five other remaining contestants. 😕 Overall, Elise was a contestant I enjoyed for the most part. 🙂

11 hours ago, Crisis said:

I originally thought that this clue was difficult, but then I really looked into it and found that it wasn’t that hard (unless I’m wrong 😅). Tamyra Gray wouldn’t fit because she was in constant competition with Kelly, and LaToya London wouldn’t fit because she was in constant competition with Fantasia. My guess for this clue is Crystal Bowersox. In a season as lackluster as Season 9, Crystal was considered the greatest (even though Katie will always be my favorite ❤️), but she fell short because she lost to Lee, which was a huge mistake in my opinion (sorry @Elliott)... 

10 hours ago, blackfield said:

can I change my guess to Crystal? 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bk1234 said:

To start off, it is time for some Idol birthday shout-outs! Happy Birthday Jessica Sanchez and Sonika Vaid! 🎉🎁

I originally thought that this clue was difficult, but then I really looked into it and found that it wasn’t that hard (unless I’m wrong 😅). Tamyra Gray wouldn’t fit because she was in constant competition with Kelly, and LaToya London wouldn’t fit because she was in constant competition with Fantasia. My guess for this clue is Crystal Bowersox. In a season as lackluster as Season 9, Crystal was considered the greatest (even though Katie will always be my favorite ❤️), but she fell short because she lost to Lee, which was a huge mistake in my opinion (sorry @Elliott)... 

Aww how nice. ❤️ Happy birthday to them both! 😄 

This was literally my exact thought process. :haha:  Tamyra came to mind immediately, but then I realized her and LaToya have nearly identical situations, so I wouldn't know who to guess over the other... and I do think a lot of people would argue someone else was the best of those seasons. But I think the majority thought Crystal was the best of S9, and she even more so "fell short", since she made the finale and didn't win. So I will also go with Crystal for this clue! 

14 hours ago, Crisis said:

No we can't have anyone crying on their birthday, at least not the sad kind! 😉

I believe Kimberly C. posted some pictures of them on some of her social media platforms, but I could be wrong about that though I do remember the pictures. Happy to see you liked both songs! Now that I think about it, YDHTBS does have an Alicia Keys vibe to it.

"It's my party and I'll cry if I want to 😢 " :giggle: 

Aw, I might check into it, but at the same time it makes me really sad. :(  I did! I kept thinking it reminded me of someone, and I think it is Alicia. :haha: 

008. Elise Testone: I'm not a huge fan, and I'm not sure what it is, but maybe what you mentioned about the lack of connection with her personality. I do feel that way, but I wasn't obsessed with her voice either - although she's got a great tone for the style of music that I think suits her best. She did give many strong performances, even if I didn't love them as much as others. I do really remember liking One and Only, and maybe some of the others you mentioned - Let's Stay Together, Vienna, and Whole Lotta Love are ones I remember, but don't actually remember how much I liked each of them. Wow, WLL being your favorite performance in Idol history is huge! Thanks for sharing that.  LOL her and Steven Tyler having similar pants. Oh, I think You And I was one of my favorites as well.... but actually, I think my very favorite Elise performances were the duets. I really enjoyed both of her duets with Phillip - Stop Draggin' My Heart Around and Somebody That I Used to Know. :yes:   I think she is someone that could maybe grow on me with a rewatch, but I do think she's talented, even if not a favorite.

I posted my guess for the next clue in my previous post, but I'm going with Crystal for now. At least you are stopping me from guessing David Cook again. :dead: 

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, miss denise said:

I really enjoyed both of her duets with Phillip - Stop Draggin' My Heart Around and Somebody That I Used to Know. :yes:

Oh, thank you for mentioning these, as I loved them too! 😁 Her and Phillip both sounded great together! Though I will admit Phillip looked a bit awkward without his guitar! 😂

5 hours ago, Bk1234 said:

Elise Testone- My fourth favorite S11 finalist (which is really good considering how talented the group was 👍). I think I’m Your Baby Tonight is one of the most underrated performances in Idol history! 😅 I love listening to it! I was disappointed to see that Elise was the bottom girl instead of “I-flunked-an-oversang-song Magrane.” The run at the end of Vienna was spectacular, and I think that’s when I really started to look forward to Elise. I like Whole Lotta Love enough, but it just doesn’t do it for me like it obviously does for you (yes, I was shocked when you said it was your all-time favorite performance 😂)! The yelling and weird arrangement just doesn’t appeal to me. I was pleasantly surprised to see her outlast Colton, but I knew she wouldn’t be able to outlast the five other remaining contestants. 😕 Overall, Elise was a contestant I enjoyed for the most part. 🙂

Yes, Happy Birthday to those two! 🎂 🎉 🎁

Elise: Nice to see someone enjoyed her version of IYBT, even if I didn't! With that said, I agree with Shannon should've been the bottom girl instead of Elise. The run at the end of Vienna was spectacular indeed. ❤️ As for WLL being my all-time favorite Idol performance, based on everything that's been in this thread so far, nothing should really be that shocking anymore. 😂 I was pleasantly surprised to see her outlast Colton as well, but her outlasting the other five would've been tough to do though I thought she would outlast Hollie at the time.

We'll see about the guess...

5 hours ago, blackfield said:

can I change my guess to Crystal? 

Yes, you can change your guess as many as times as you'd like before I announce when I'm ready to post the next finalist. Speaking of which, I'd like anyone who's taking part of this to tag me in their posts when they make their official guesses so I'll know which one to reward should they be correct. 🙂

2 hours ago, miss denise said:

"It's my party and I'll cry if I want to 😢 " :giggle: 

Aw, I might check into it, but at the same time it makes me really sad. :(  I did! I kept thinking it reminded me of someone, and I think it is Alicia. :haha: 

008. Elise Testone: I'm not a huge fan, and I'm not sure what it is, but maybe what you mentioned about the lack of connection with her personality. I do feel that way, but I wasn't obsessed with her voice either - although she's got a great tone for the style of music that I think suits her best. She did give many strong performances, even if I didn't love them as much as others. I do really remember liking One and Only, and maybe some of the others you mentioned - Let's Stay Together, Vienna, and Whole Lotta Love are ones I remember, but don't actually remember how much I liked each of them. Wow, WLL being your favorite performance in Idol history is huge! Thanks for sharing that.  LOL her and Steven Tyler having similar pants. Oh, I think You And I was one of my favorites as well.... but actually, I think my very favorite Elise performances were the duets. I really enjoyed both of her duets with Phillip - Stop Draggin' My Heart Around and Somebody That I Used to Know. :yes:   I think she is someone that could maybe grow on me with a rewatch, but I do think she's talented, even if not a favorite.

I posted my guess for the next clue in my previous post, but I'm going with Crystal for now. At least you are stopping me from guessing David Cook again. :dead: 

"Cry if I want to, cry if I want to

You would cry too if it happened to you" :haha:

While it was great to see them together, it was unfortunate it had to be because of that. :( I think Alicia as well.

008. Fair enough about Elise. I think a lot of people felt that way about her, which may partly explain her many B3 appearances. Yes, as mentioned WLL is my all-time favorite Idol performance, which appears be another curve-ball in this thread. :haha: Her duets with Phillip were great, though I thought she was the better of the two and as @Bk1234 mentioned, Phillip looked awkward without his guitar. Now that I think of it, I remember his awkward movements during SDMHA🤣

We'll see about the guess. As for #7, I probably won't have it up until tomorrow evening though I managed to knock some of it out during some downtime. I'll let everyone know this evening whether or not I'll post it tonight. 👍

13 minutes ago, CarmenSandiego said:

Elise was someone I liked okay, although not nearly as much as Jessica or even Hollie.  Unfortunately, she failed to connect with viewers and was somewhat inconsistent, being up one week and down the next.

I do have to admit, that out of the Top 6, she seemed to have the least “synergy” with the group, from what the show showed us (which may be :censored: for all we know). I connected with her for some performances and didn’t for others, but was always impressed by her vocal ability. 😍

29 minutes ago, CarmenSandiego said:

Elise was someone I liked okay, although not nearly as much as Jessica or even Hollie.  Unfortunately, she failed to connect with viewers and was somewhat inconsistent, being up one week and down the next.

Fair points about her not seemingly connecting with viewers and being inconsistent.

17 minutes ago, Bk1234 said:

I do have to admit, that out of the Top 6, she seemed to have the least “synergy” with the group, from what the show showed us (which may be :censored: for all we know). I connected with her for some performances and didn’t for others, but was always impressed by her vocal ability. 😍

Considering she was the oldest of the group, she probably had the least amount in common with them which may explain her lack of "synergy". Another explanation for the lack of "synergy" may be the group appeared to be an energetic bunch and Elise appeared to be more low key. Fair points about the last sentence.

I managed to knock out the write-up for #7 and should post it within an hour, so this is the last chance for anyone who wants to take a stab at guessing who it will be because unless I reply to someone else, my next post (though I'm hoping at least one more post happens so I can post it on the next page :haha:) will reveal the who lucky #7 is. 👍