idolforums.com
Sign in to follow this  
Crisis

Crisis On Hand: An American Idol Finalists Ranking List

Season 12 

Breanna Steer is stylistically one of my favorite contestants. I loved her style but she turned in some underwhelming performances when it mattered. Her Bust The Windows performance is still one of my favorites from the season. 

Vincent- I remember him being a stand out despite me never really connecting with him, he had one of the best voices but they tried to gut the male field of every strong vocalist besides Devin and Burnell. 

I also really liked Aubrey Cleland although her voice was a bit thin and my favorite male Nick Boddington who nailed Stars and had a few other good performances; his semifinals performance was pretty good as well. 

Season 13... I’m going to mention those who got robbed of singing and one who got to sing but failed to impress. 

Kenz Hall- She was one of the more creative voices and personalities on the show. I loved her cover of Can’t Hold Us, her audition, but she had a bad performance that almost failed her of making it as far as she did of Your Song. But she deserved another chance. Still super mad over this. She was in my top 5. 

Brandy Neely- She was a standout from the start. A really strong country voice. People were shocked when she didn’t even get a chance to sing. 

briana Oakley- She got to sing. She had some of the best performances of the season like My Kind of Love and her audition of Stay. Her rush week performance wasn’t bad of Warrior but it lacked something and was kind of overly nasally. Her tone was a bit nasally always but this seemed more than usual. She still deserved to make the top 13. 

Adam- I never really enjoyed him. I found him as another Caleb Johnson who I didn’t like by the way but less power and even more karaoke. 

Katherine was totally up my alley. She seemed very 70s, Fleetwood inspired who I love. Rhiannon and Safe & Sound were pretty good. She played it safe but she was better than half the singers but got lost in the shuffle. 

Looking back you’ve got it right here. This may have been the weakest group of semi finalists. I wouldn’t add anyone. Katherine was the only contestant truly robbed

Season 15

CJ- meh. I never connected to him and even forgot about him which is bad since I recall nearly everyone from this season forward as they were somewhat current. His style was dated and he was an average vocalist. 

James VII- Ashley Hess’s boyfriend. I was a huge fan of Ashley but James came on idol first. He was very creative and polarizing with performances like Love Lockdown. Sometimes his vocals relied on too much runs and riffs which turned viewers off. 

Stephany- she was very pretty. She always hit the notes but if I’m being honest, her voice was very generic and never met the mark for me. 

I think I would add Emily Brooke who always wowed in early rounds but always faltered when it mattered and Adam Lasher who was a fan favorite but also faltered. I wasn’t the hugest fans but I’ll say they were good in early rounds. 

10 hours ago, Crisis said:

I will preface this by saying I need to rewatch season 8 onward. 😅

Season 6
A.J. Tabaldo -
Yup, cut too early.
Leslie Hunt - I didn't like her voice.
Sabrina Sloan - Would've preferred if Sabrina made it over Stephanie but they were both so talented. It sucks that they both couldn't make it.

Season 7
Alexandrea Lushington -
Yes, I would've liked to see more of her.
Kady Malloy - I was fine with this cut.

Season 8
Ann Marie Boskovich -
Loved her. I can't remember if i knew about her pre-Idol but I remember downloading some of her music and really enjoying it.
Felicia Barton - Same. Still mad she didn't make it further. She's so good.
Kristen McNamara - Vaguely remember her. Don't have an opinion.
Ricky Braddy - I don't recall his run on Idol but he was amazing on The Voice.

Season 9
Alex Lambert -
I remember liking him and wanting him to make it further.
Joe Muñoz - Don't recall.
Katelyn Epperly - Robbed! I'm pretty sure I listened to some of her stuff when spoilers came out and I loved her. Was happy to see her make the semis but then she got cut. 😭
Lilly Scott - Should've made it further too.
Michelle Delamor - Don't remember her.

Season 10
Julie Zorrilla -
Can't remember if i liked her or not.
Lauren Turner - We're Facebook friends but that's literally all I remember. haha
Tim Halperin - I'm pretty sure I was not disappointed with this cut.

9 hours ago, Crisis said:

Season 11
Aaron Marcellus -
Don't remember.
Baylie Brown - Same sentiments as you. I had high hopes for her return.
Hallie Day - Vaguely recall but I don't think I was sad when she got eliminated?

Season 12
Breanna Steer -
Was this the annoying one or was that a different Breanna? 😅
Vincent Powell - Don't remember.

Season 13
N/A

Season 14 (Don't remember) 😂
Adam Ezegelian
Katherine Winston

Season 15
CJ Johnson -
Don't remember.
James VIII - Don't remember.
Stephany Negrete - Should've made it at least one round further.

I actually remember some of these!!! :clap:

Season 10Where’s Kendra and Robbie? 😂

Julie Zorilla- I really liked her voice, so it was a shame to see her crash with Breakaway. The sad thing was she knew she was screwed... 😅

Lauren Turner- While I don’t think it was the second best of the night (I thought Karen’s performamce of Hero was ❤️), I thought her performance was more than deserving of securing her a spot in the finals. I would have swapped her with Haley, but I actually enjoyed Haley’s performance of Fallin’, so I didn’t really mind. 😅 I think what happened with Lauren in the votes is that she was part of the group of people that received a bit of negative criticism from the judges or didn’t have a stand-out performance AND she was near the beginning of the show. I recently watched the show over and noticed that Karen, Thia, Haley, Lauren A., and Pia were near the end of the show. Haley had an iffy performance with mixed reviews, but she got through because she was near the end, so people remembered her. I hope that made sense, but regardless, she DEFINITELY deserved to be chosen to sing (over Ashton... 😒). 

Tim Halperin- I don’t remember too much about him besides that he had an ok performance during the semis for me. 

Season 11Where’s Brielle? 😅

Aaron Marcellus- Isn’t this the season where the judges said they were too easy on the boys? If so, that’s what happened here. The judges re-watched the performances or were influenced by Jimmy Iovine and didn’t pick him. 

Baylie Brown- Let’s just say I wasn’t amazed by her performance. 

Hallie Day- I agree with your points about her not delivering emotions. Her performance felt very dull and uninteresting to me... 🙁

Season 15

James VIII- I only remember him because of Ashley Hess ❤️

8 hours ago, Blirel said:

Okay so I didn’t fully watch until Season 10 so this is an exciting batch. Here’s the ones I feel like mentioning: 

First I’m revisiting the old season contestants you’ve put on this list and how didn’t Felicia Barton make the finals. Just wow. 

Ricky Braddy should’ve made it as well. But I don’t think he would’ve made it much further. He’s someone who sings at a very high level but as I felt on the voice, you feel nothing from. 

I know Season 9 is a disaster from revisiting performances from the finals and I strongly believe Alex Lambert would’ve been top 10 material. I also think the 3 girls listed were better than some that made it. 

I can't say I disagree with most of what's written here. You're probably right about Ricky not making it much further if he made the finals, but I still would've liked to have seen him there.

And now for in depth comments. 

Season 10:

Julie Zorrilla- She could sing but was generic. I think she would’ve struggled to stand out as Pia and Haley would’ve overshadowed her. And I even think Thia was better. No problem with her going out early. 

Lauren was for sure good. She had a kind of retro style which it seems the season had a lot of. I don’t think she would’ve made top 5 but she could’ve been competitive that’s for sure. 

Tim was better than Paul McDonald. He wasn’t super unique but he could sing and was easy going. He appeared on songland this year and he’s still got it. 

And my favorite Semifinalist who didn’t make it wasn’t mentioned. Wow. Kendra Chantelle. We all know she was robbed after that Georgia On My Mind performance. 

Fair enough about Julie possibly not standing out (well, she did stand out, just not in a positive way, lol), but I still liked her.

Pretty much agree about Lauren.

Agree about Tim.

As for Kendra, I wasn't as big on her as most were, and I didn't care for Impossible. With that said, I thought she definitely had a case for being picked as a WC after Georgia On My Mind.

Season 11: 

Aaron: I honestly didn’t remember him. But think he just failed to stand out. Not bad but I can see why he didn’t make it. 

Baylie- Her tone was pretty but she made bad song choices and just didn’t stand out. 

Halle- Was never a huge fan but can’t argue against her being a consistently solid vocalist. 

I think you left someone out once again. That someone was front runner Jen Hirsch. Nearly all of her performances aired and she could sing. For some reason her last few performances just didn’t click and she was sent home during the wild card.

I have to mention Brielle too. the girl could sing but made some poor song choices and vocal choices. And her stage mom never let her stand out on her own. The girl went on to having quite a few popular YouTube videos 

Fair enough about Aaron.

Sadly, I agree with you on Baylie. ☹️

Fair enough about Hallie.

Sad to say, I was not a Jen Hirsch fan. ☹️ I thought she oversang a lot and had this desperate vibe about her. However, she did have some things going for her, so it's understandable why she was considered a front runner.

Brielle was someone else who I wasn't a fan of. I do hear she's gotten a lot better post-Idol, but I'm not sure if I'll go out of my way to check out anything from her. However, if anyone will post anything of hers, I'll give it a listen.

I have to head out now, so I'll catch up with the rest when I have the time. 👍

Posted (edited)

@Crisis this is one of my favorite covers from her! 

Edited by Bk1234

13 hours ago, Blirel said:

Season 12 

Breanna Steer is stylistically one of my favorite contestants. I loved her style but she turned in some underwhelming performances when it mattered. Her Bust The Windows performance is still one of my favorites from the season. 

Vincent- I remember him being a stand out despite me never really connecting with him, he had one of the best voices but they tried to gut the male field of every strong vocalist besides Devin and Burnell. 

I also really liked Aubrey Cleland although her voice was a bit thin and my favorite male Nick Boddington who nailed Stars and had a few other good performances; his semifinals performance was pretty good as well. 

Pretty much agree with everything about Breanna.

Fair enough about Vincent. Yeah, that was the season they pushed hard for a female winner after 5 WGWG winners in a row. 😅

Aubrey is in tweener territory where she is considered a semifinalist, yet she would've been considered a finalist had there been a Top 12 instead of Top 10; at least she was able to win a tour spot. I don't remember much about Nick, but I think I liked what I heard from him from what I do remember.

Kenz Hall- She was one of the more creative voices and personalities on the show. I loved her cover of Can’t Hold Us, her audition, but she had a bad performance that almost failed her of making it as far as she did of Your Song. But she deserved another chance. Still super mad over this. She was in my top 5. 

As mentioned, I don't remember much of the S13 semifinalists, but I do remember Kenzie's Hollywood performance of Can't Hold Us. She would probably be someone who I would've liked to see perform during the semis. :yes:

Adam- I never really enjoyed him. I found him as another Caleb Johnson who I didn’t like by the way but less power and even more karaoke. 

Katherine was totally up my alley. She seemed very 70s, Fleetwood inspired who I love. Rhiannon and Safe & Sound were pretty good. She played it safe but she was better than half the singers but got lost in the shuffle. 

Looking back you’ve got it right here. This may have been the weakest group of semi finalists. I wouldn’t add anyone. Katherine was the only contestant truly robbed

Fair enough about Adam.

Pretty much agree with everything regarding Katherine.

Yeah, this wasn't a strong group looking back. I think the Keith, J-Lo, and Harry seasons collectively had the weakest group of contestants, and S14 may have been the weakest of them all.

Season 15

CJ- meh. I never connected to him and even forgot about him which is bad since I recall nearly everyone from this season forward as they were somewhat current. His style was dated and he was an average vocalist. 

James VII- Ashley Hess’s boyfriend. I was a huge fan of Ashley but James came on idol first. He was very creative and polarizing with performances like Love Lockdown. Sometimes his vocals relied on too much runs and riffs which turned viewers off. 

Stephany- she was very pretty. She always hit the notes but if I’m being honest, her voice was very generic and never met the mark for me. 

I think I would add Emily Brooke who always wowed in early rounds but always faltered when it mattered and Adam Lasher who was a fan favorite but also faltered. I wasn’t the hugest fans but I’ll say they were good in early rounds. 

Fair enough about CJ.

Pretty much agree regarding James.

Fair enough about Stephany. Still, I thought she did enough to advance.

Emily Baylie Brown'd herself with her semifinals performance. ☹️ I don't remember too much about Adam, but I think he gave an OK performance; I'd have to go back and watch it.

6 hours ago, x3 because of u said:

Season 6 - Agree about A.J. and Sabrina. Oof at not liking Leslie's voice. 🙁

Season 7 - Agree about Alexandrea. ☹️ at Kady.

Season 8 - Agree about Ann Marie and Felicia. Fair enough about Kristen and Ricky.

Season 9 - Agree about Alex, Katelyn, and Lilly. Fair enough about Joe and Michelle.

Season 10 - Fair enough about Julie and Tim. 😆 at being Facebook friends with Lauren.

Season 11 - Fair enough about Aaron and Hallie. Agree about Baylie. ☹️

Season 12 - I think this was the annoying Breanna (I can't remember if there was another one though 😅). Fair enough about Vincent.

Season 14 🤣 at not remembering.

Season 15 - Fair enough about CJ and James. Agree about Stephany.

6 hours ago, Bk1234 said:

I actually remember some of these!!! :clap:

Season 10Where’s Kendra and Robbie? 😂

Julie Zorilla- I really liked her voice, so it was a shame to see her crash with Breakaway. The sad thing was she knew she was screwed... 😅

Lauren Turner- While I don’t think it was the second best of the night (I thought Karen’s performamce of Hero was ❤️), I thought her performance was more than deserving of securing her a spot in the finals. I would have swapped her with Haley, but I actually enjoyed Haley’s performance of Fallin’, so I didn’t really mind. 😅 I think what happened with Lauren in the votes is that she was part of the group of people that received a bit of negative criticism from the judges or didn’t have a stand-out performance AND she was near the beginning of the show. I recently watched the show over and noticed that Karen, Thia, Haley, Lauren A., and Pia were near the end of the show. Haley had an iffy performance with mixed reviews, but she got through because she was near the end, so people remembered her. I hope that made sense, but regardless, she DEFINITELY deserved to be chosen to sing (over Ashton... 😒). 

Tim Halperin- I don’t remember too much about him besides that he had an ok performance during the semis for me. 

Season 11Where’s Brielle? 😅

Aaron Marcellus- Isn’t this the season where the judges said they were too easy on the boys? If so, that’s what happened here. The judges re-watched the performances or were influenced by Jimmy Iovine and didn’t pick him. 

Baylie Brown- Let’s just say I wasn’t amazed by her performance. 

Hallie Day- I agree with your points about her not delivering emotions. Her performance felt very dull and uninteresting to me... 🙁

Season 15

James VIII- I only remember him because of Ashley Hess ❤️

Yay for remembering some! 😂

As with Kendra, Robbie wasn't someone I wasn't too big on. 🤷‍♂️

Season 10

Julie - pretty much agree. It was easy to see on her face she knew she blew it. ☹️

Lauren - You make some pretty good points about why Lauren probably didn't advance. Agree with rather seeing her get a chance to sing in the WC Round over Ashthon, but it is what it is.

Tim - fair enough about him

Season 11

Aaron - that's probably what happened to him. I would've still liked to see him advance at least for another week.

Baylie - :dead:

Hallie - sadly, I can't disagree with this...☹️

Season 15

James - Of course @ Ashley Hess being the only reason you remember him...:dead:

I did listen to the video posted, and I want to say she's certainly come a long way since her time on Idol; however, I'm not sure when this was posted and therefore, I'll refrain from saying such things. 😅 Regardless, she sounded nice.

I managed to wrap up the last batch of semifinalists and barring anything strange, they should be posted tonight. After that, I'll get to work on the Top 10. 👍

• Like 1

Here is the last batch of semifinalists:

Season 16

Amelia Hammer Harris

740full-amelia-hammer-harris.jpg

Amelia was someone who I kept a tab on during S16. She had this beautiful sultry sound to her voice I was really intrigued by. I remember liking her audition and the clips they showed during the Hollywood Rounds, so I was waiting to see what she would do in the semifinals. Unfortunately, she picked a bad song in Believer, which did nothing to showcase her voice in the best way. I did love her duet with Bebe Rexha; actually, I thought she sounded better than Bebe, but it wasn’t enough as she wouldn’t be picked to move on. I don't know if it would've helped, but I'd like to think she would've had a better chance had she picked a different song. Alas.

Effie Passero

Effie-Passero-683x1024.jpg

Effie was someone who I was disappointed didn’t advance. She had this powerful voice, and I thought she was one of the best singers of the season. I liked her performance of Barracuda and enjoyed her Diane duet with Cam. Supposedly, she was to duet with Jessie J., but Jessie wound up getting sick and Cam was a last minute replacement, though I’m probably remembering it wrong (which wouldn’t be the first time 😅). Unfortunately, the judges opted not to pick her; I guess a lot had to do with the show wanting to skew towards being younger, and Effie was one of the older contestants. As I mentioned in my David Hernandez write-up, these two appeared to have partnered up and are creating music together, plus I posted a video of a song the two did together if anyone’s interested.

Layla Spring

952fca42782a10829a8792e540a7c130.jpg

Layla was someone I had a soft spot for; I just thought she and her sister Dyxie were adorable. 😊 🤗 Admittedly, she was rough on the edges vocally, but I heard something in it that caught my interest. Her performance of A Broken Wing was fine all things considered; however, I pretty much knew she wouldn’t advance though I preferred her to Gabby as far as the country girls that season went. :ph34rwave: At least she and Dyxie got to perform in the finale, though it wasn’t very good, where they were surprised by LeAnn Rimes (who looked sober; I still remember her duet with Carly Rae Sinclair during the S2 finale of the X-Factor where she looked plastered 😅). Finally, she won the second chance audition on Dancing With The Stars, where she was able to go straight to Hollywood for S18; however, she wasn’t shown at all which meant she was cut at some point. I thought it was weird she wasn’t featured after all that fanfare. Oh well. 🤷‍♂️

Trevor McBane

8701153.jpeg

This is probably an unconventional pick (which some should be used to by now), but Trevor was someone who intrigued me. He had this rough gravelly tone to his voice that caught my interest, and I enjoyed his song choices for the most part. I think his problem was he could never really let himself go vocally; it always felt as if he was holding something back due to some sort of inhibition. This was especially the case for Way Down We Go, which should’ve suited him perfectly, yet there was a promise of a breakthrough that never came. Also, he was completely over-matched during his duet with Bishop Briggs; he didn’t come anywhere close to matching her energy, though Briggs probably could’ve held back and worked with him some. Regardless, I liked Trevor well enough in spite of his shortcomings.

Season 17

Ashley Hess

ashley-hess-music-1552077037214.jpg

Ashley has been mentioned quite a bit in this thread, but now I’m going to talk about her some. Ashley is right up there with Felicia Barton as far as my all-time favorite semifinalists are concerned; they are my Top 2, and as of right now Felicia has the slight edge. Ashley has a really beautiful voice I could listen to all day. 😊 I absolutely loved Dreaming With A Broken Heart as well as her duet with Jason Mraz, who was more than a generous partner by allowing her to play around with his song to where it suited her the best. I also liked Fix You despite not being a Coldplay fan. I was really disappointed she wasn’t voted into the finals but hoped she would give a strong WC performance. Unfortunately, as much as it pains me to say this, she didn’t pick the best song to give herself a chance, which is something I mentioned way back in the thread somewhere around Alyssa Raghu's write-up. 😣 Sir Duke is a fun song, but it’s not one to sing for a chance to stay; it would’ve been better as a victory song. Regardless, it was still disappointing not to see Ashley in the finals because I felt she definitely had a lot more to offer.

Season 16

Amelia Hammer Harris

Effie Passero

Layla Spring

Trevor McBane

Season 17

Ashley Hess

That should do it for my favorite semifinalists! 😄 I have finals coming up soon, so I have to study for them. With that said, however, I'll get to work on the list as soon as I can. Hopefully #10 will be up some time this weekend if not sooner.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Crisis said:

Season 16

Amelia Hammer Harris

Effie Passero

Layla Spring

Trevor McBane

Season 17

Ashley Hess

Season 16

Amelia Hammer Harris- The name rings a bell, but I have no memory of her performances. 😅

Effie Passero- I remember being surprised she didn’t make the Top 14. Any hope of me looking into her was ruined by David Hernandez... 😒

Layla Spring- I did not like her at all! 😒 Her voice is one of the most annoying country voices I have ever heard. Gabby was MUCH better, and thankfully the judges agreed. 😁 I was devastated when she was chosen over Logan, but thankfully nothing good came out of it. 😅 She posted a video on her YouTube channel saying she got out in the first round of Hollywood Week. She said that she felt she did a good job, which begs the question: did the producers have anything to do with her elimination? 🤔 What I think happened, was they didn’t want Layla‘s comeback to be a focus of the season so they either forgot about her, or cut her purposely and shadily covered it up. It’s also is important to note that the show seemed to want to limit the amount of country contestants of this season (as seen by the Grace and Lauren M. thing), so that could’ve played a role as well. 

Trevor McBane- Similar situation to Amelia Hammer Harris. I remember his name and how he looked, but nothing else... 😕

Season 17

Ashley Hess- My favorite from Season 17 ❤️. I loved all of her performances, and though I get your point about Sir Duke, I think after a solid performance and a TON of potential, she should’ve made it through over Uché... 😒

Edited by Bk1234

Season 16

Amelia was very polarizing in a good way. I remember being intrigued by her day 1. That being said, she had vocal limitations which were shown the more we saw from her. 

Effie had a massive voice. I didn’t love her audition as the original song was kind of meh and also some of her song choices were a bit too generic for me but no doubt she could sing and she nailed her performance of The Dance. Her Alone cover was good but it displayed just how generic she was. Her duet with Cam of Diane was much better. 

Layla was not my cup of tea. She’s gotten better now but her voice always kind of annoyed me. Her shaky vibrato was not for me. She was just okay. 

Trevor- I’m surprised to see him here. His duet performance might be the worst celebrity duet performance we saw. He was overshadowed. I was never wowed by him. 

I think Shannon O’Hara deserves a mention. She never delivered a bad performance and I always found her super likable. She was one of my favorites of that season. 

Season 17

Okay. Ashley Hess is one of my favorite contestants of all time. That’s how much I loved her. Such an easygoing fresh voice. I still think she was robbed but song choice did her as she never should’ve sang Sir Duke. She made the top 14... is that considered a semi finalist? 

This is a bit random as she wasn’t shown much but I’m going to mention Bumbly. I still go back to her duet with Shaggy. I know Vision of Love was meh but her duet of Angel was a standout moment and she would’ve brought something unique to the live shows and she could sing much better than someone like Eddie or Evelyn

45 minutes ago, Bk1234 said:

Season 16

Amelia Hammer Harris- The name rings a bell, but I have no memory of her performances. 😅

Effie Passero- I remember being surprised she didn’t make the Top 14. Any hope of me looking into her was ruined by David Hernandez... 😒

Layla Spring- I did not like her at all! 😒 Her voice is one of the most annoying country voices I have ever heard. Gabby was MUCH better, and thankfully the judges agreed. 😁 I was devastated when she was chosen over Logan, but thankfully nothing good came out of it. 😅 She posted a video on her YouTube channel saying she got out in the first round of Hollywood Week. She said that she felt she did a good job, which begs the question: did the producers have anything to do with her elimination? 🤔 What I think happened, was they didn’t want Layla‘s comeback to be a focus of the season so they either forgot about her, or cut her purposely and shadily covered it up. It’s also is important to note that the show seemed to want to limit the amount of country contestants of this season (as seen by the Grace and Lauren M. thing), so that could’ve played a role as well. 

Trevor McBane- Similar situation to Amelia Hammer Harris. I remember his name and how he looked, but nothing else... 😕

Season 17

Ashley Hess- My favorite from Season 17 ❤️. I loved all of her performances, and though I get your point about Sir Duke, I think after a solid performance and a TON of potential, she should’ve made it through over Uché... 😒

Season 16

Amelia: Fair enough

Effie: Sadly, I wasn't surprised about her not making the Top 14, but I would've still liked to see her there. I forgot you don't like David Hernandez. 😅

Layla: ☹️. I liked her the most of the three, so I had no problems with her being picked. Interesting points about the show wanting to limit the amount of country singers for S18. It appears they are going for different types of winners each season. Maddie is singer/songwriter, Laine is country/rock (which may explain why they limited the amount of country singers), and Sam is R&B.

Trevor: Fair enough

Season 17

Ashley: She would've been my favorite had she made the finals. I mentioned this earlier, but I thought Uché and Alyssa were virtually locks, and I felt Dimitrius had a better performance; thus, I understand why she wasn't picked. Besides, I liked Uché, so I didn't mind him going through. If anything, I thought Ashley should've been voted through instead of either Wade or Walker, but it is what it is.

39 minutes ago, Blirel said:

Season 16

Amelia was very polarizing in a good way. I remember being intrigued by her day 1. That being said, she had vocal limitations which were shown the more we saw from her. 

Effie had a massive voice. I didn’t love her audition as the original song was kind of meh and also some of her song choices were a bit too generic for me but no doubt she could sing and she nailed her performance of The Dance. Her Alone cover was good but it displayed just how generic she was. Her duet with Cam of Diane was much better. 

Layla was not my cup of tea. She’s gotten better now but her voice always kind of annoyed me. Her shaky vibrato was not for me. She was just okay. 

Trevor- I’m surprised to see him here. His duet performance might be the worst celebrity duet performance we saw. He was overshadowed. I was never wowed by him. 

I think Shannon O’Hara deserves a mention. She never delivered a bad performance and I always found her super likable. She was one of my favorites of that season. 

Season 17

Okay. Ashley Hess is one of my favorite contestants of all time. That’s how much I loved her. Such an easygoing fresh voice. I still think she was robbed but song choice did her as she never should’ve sang Sir Duke. She made the top 14... is that considered a semi finalist? 

This is a bit random as she wasn’t shown much but I’m going to mention Bumbly. I still go back to her duet with Shaggy. I know Vision of Love was meh but her duet of Angel was a standout moment and she would’ve brought something unique to the live shows and she could sing much better than someone like Eddie or Evelyn

Season 16

I can't say I disagree with what was written about Amelia here.

Fair enough about Effie. I thought her duet with Cam was one of the better ones.

Fair enough about Layla.

I was just intrigued by Trevor's tone, which I why I mentioned him. His duet was indeed one of the worst ones though.

I think Shannon's problem was she was too laid back and appeared to emit very little energy. I didn't care for her semifinals performance, but she did have a nice tone to her voice.

Season 17

I believe contestants have to be in the Top 10 in order to be considered finalists and since Ashley was Top 14, she's considered to be a semifinalist. I pretty much agree with everything else.

Bumbly was a guilty pleasure of mine. Her Vision Of Love was unfortunate as it appeared the song was too big for her and ate her alive, and in her duet with Shaggy I thought she came across more as a background singer than duet partner. With that said, I still enjoyed her somewhat (OK, her looks may have had something to do with it 😅 ) and definitely agree about preferring her to Eddie or Evelyn, who were two of my least favorites from the season.

Semi-Finalists.  I didn't watch S1 - S6, and came in mid S7, after the semi-finalists so ...

Everyone that I mention, is someone that I thought should have made the Top 10 (2 of them, are not on your list)

S 8 - Felicia Barton & Jackie Tohn

S 9 - Alex Lambert, Lily Scott, Katelyn Epperly  - If these 3, would have made the Top 10 .... S9 would have been so much better, overall (just my humble opinion) 

S 10 - 

S 11 - Jen Hirsch  - I listen to her at least a couple of times a week, to this day

S 12 -

S 15 - Stephany Negrete - LOVED her version of " Mama Knows Best" so much, and her stage presence. Cannot believe she didn't make Top 10. 

S16 - Effie Passero - Strong Vocalist. Glad to see she is out there doing music

S17 - Ashley Hess - She is my 3rd favorite idol contestant EVER.  I will NEVER understand how she didn't make Top 10.  Granted ... "Sir Duke", was not the best song choice, but overall ....       she is  amazing! That voice is GOLDEN. And the ease, with how she sings, is so lovely. I listen to her almost every day. . 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, psterina said:

Semi-Finalists.  I didn't watch S1 - S6, and came in mid S7, after the semi-finalists so ...

Everyone that I mention, is someone that I thought should have made the Top 10 (2 of them, are not on your list)

S 8 - Felicia Barton & Jackie Tohn

S 9 - Alex Lambert, Lily Scott, Katelyn Epperly  - If these 3, would have made the Top 10 .... S9 would have been so much better, overall (just my humble opinion) 

S 10 - 

S 11 - Jen Hirsch  - I listen to her at least a couple of times a week, to this day

S 12 -

S 15 - Stephany Negrete - LOVED her version of " Mama Knows Best" so much, and her stage presence. Cannot believe she didn't make Top 10. 

S16 - Effie Passero - Strong Vocalist. Glad to see she is out there doing music

S17 - Ashley Hess - She is my 3rd favorite idol contestant EVER.  I will NEVER understand how she didn't make Top 10.  Granted ... "Sir Duke", was not the best song choice, but overall ....       she is  amazing! That voice is GOLDEN. And the ease, with how she sings, is so lovely. I listen to her almost every day. . 

S8. I completely agree about Felicia. I was ambivalent towards Jackie; with that said I don't think I would've minded if she made the finals.

S9. Can't say I disagree with S9 being much better if these three were finalists.

S11. As I mentioned earlier, I wasn't a fan of Jen; however, I understand how she could appeal to others.

S15. Completely agree here. I thought she should've been in the Top 14 at least.

S16. Again, completely agree here.

S17. You did mention she was your third favorite Idol contestant overall. :haha: Outside of this, I agree with just about everything here.

I'm currently working on my #10 finalist. The main list should resume some time tomorrow. 👍

• Like 1

On 7/28/2020 at 9:35 PM, Crisis said:

Out of curiosity, was she the one you expected that I would be the most protective of? I would've dropped some clues but didn't see any opportunities to do so.

Oh no, I did not. :haha:  I had no idea she would rank this high. 

From the rest of the semi-finalists, my favorites are A.J., Sabrina, Alexandrea, Felicia, Ricky, Katelyn, Julie, Baylie, Layla.  Ugh, and I was furious at most of them missing out on the finals.  I think I was especially upset about A.J., Sabrina, Ricky, and Katelyn. I would say Baylie too, but I understand based on the performance. :( I also loved her from S6 and had seen her on another show too (The Singing Bee). 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, miss denise said:

Oh no, I did not. :haha:  I had no idea she would rank this high. 

From the rest of the semi-finalists, my favorites are A.J., Sabrina, Alexandrea, Felicia, Ricky, Katelyn, Julie, Baylie, Layla.  Ugh, and I was furious at most of them missing out on the finals.  I think I was especially upset about A.J., Sabrina, Ricky, and Katelyn. I would say Baylie too, but I understand based on the performance. :( I also loved her from S6 and had seen her on another show too (The Singing Bee). 

To be fair, I don't think anyone did. :haha: Now I'm curious who you thought it was.

Pretty much agree about your opinions on the semi-finalists. The ones I was the most upset about that you posted were A.J., Alexandrea, and Felicia. Yeah it was too bad Baylie bombed as badly as she did because I really wanted her to do well. :( I didn't know she was on The Singing Bee; I've seen a few episodes and obviously missed the one she was on. :haha:

Barring anything else, my next post should be my #10 finalist. 👍

Edited by Crisis

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Barring anything else, my next post should be my #10 finalist. 👍

Predictions

Kimberley Locke or Quentin Alexander

Edited by Bk1234

Posted (edited)

It looks like only one poster decided to guess the order of my Top 10. :( I'll change the game some; since I'm about to post #10, anyone can guess who they think will come next. Multiple guesses can be made until I post the finalist, in which the last guess will be the final one. I'll let everyone know ahead of time when I'm ready to post said finalist. Whoever gets it right first will get a trophy.

Let's see who comes in at #10 (hey, that rhymes 😛) :

A singer who's first performance put many in a trance

Who later on that season decided to take a stance

10. Quentin Alexander: Season 14 (6th Place)

quentin-alexander-american-idol-interview.jpg

Hopefully everyone’s in a festive mood because we’re all heading down to the home of Mardi Gras to kick off the Top 10! With Quentin’s appearance, S14 is officially in the books. From his eccentric fashion sense to his intense, brooding, and atmospheric song interpretations, Quentin was certainly one of the more stylistic and intriguing contestants Idol has ever had, in more ways than one. While there were some that may not have been as good as others, I don’t think there was a single performance of his I did not enjoy in some form or another. With that said, there were two main criticisms regarding Quentin. One was he had his fair share of pitch issues, though I didn’t think they were near as anywhere bad as Harry made them out to be, especially compared to some of the some of the other singers from that season (I believe Harry even suggested auto-tune for him at one point 🙄; of course this wouldn’t be the worst exchange Quentin would have with Harry); with the way he constantly talked about them, you’d think Quentin was as bad as CJ Harris (who I like, but his were so flagrant they were impossible to ignore). The second criticism is that it felt most, if not all, of his performances were of the same variety and as a result, they all blended together. I could see how they could come off that way, though it didn’t bother me all that much; besides, this certainly didn’t hurt the winner from that season, just saying. 😜 He certainly got off to a great start with his first semifinals performance I Put A Spell On You, which I felt was the best of the night, for the song certainly lent itself to the dark treatment Quentin placed on it. He followed that up with Master Blaster (Jammin’), which was one of the few times he moved around on stage; it looked like he really had fun with that number, and I enjoyed it as well. Despite this, he wouldn’t be voted into the finals; however, the judges used one of their two WC picks to advance him, which I was happy to see. From there, he would reprise his audition of Royals, in which I felt his slowed down interpretation of it was one of the best of the night despite him choking up a bit and being unable to finish in the end. Rolling In The Deep was one of his weaker performances, not to mention an interesting song choice because it’s not one that comes to mind when thinking about party starters; however, I still liked the bouncy flavor he brought to it. The following week he did the Lo-Fang version of You’re The One That I Want, which fit his intense brooding style to a T, though it would’ve been interesting if he did the original version. In The Air Tonight was another strong performance of his which once again tailored to his strengths the best, plus that jacket was all sorts of awesome, and I wanted to know where I could find one like it. He would follow that up with Dark Side, which I felt was the best Kelly Clarkson song for him, plus it didn’t hurt it’s my favorite song off of the Stronger album; it was my second favorite performance of the night behind only Clark’s The Trouble With Love Is. He would then go up-tempo with Latch the following week, which would be the first time I ever enjoyed a song with Sam Smith singing on it. Next, he would rock out with Are You Gonna Go My Way, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Of course, it was after this performance when he had his infamous exchange with Harry, and I definitely have some thoughts on that, which I’ll come back to later. He would follow that by returning to his intense brooding ways with The Sound Of Silence, which was another solid effort from him. Quentin would then go on to give two more performances the following week. The first one, Light My Fire, would be my favorite of the two; I especially liked the bouncy jazz-like arrangement it had. The second one, Shake It Out, was Quentin simply in his element, though to be honest, I felt he was capable of doing more. These would be his last two performances of the season because he would go on to lose the head-to-head Twitter Save against Rayvon at the end of the night, which I sadly saw coming. This one burned not only because it meant that I lost my favorite contestant of the season, it also meant that Quentin wouldn’t be able to participate in the summer tour since only the Top 5 could do so, and I bet Quentin would’ve been something to experience live. 😐 The season became a lot less interesting after his departure (though there was still Clark to root for, as he was my second favorite that season). At the end of the day, Quentin is one of the most captivating contestants Idol’s ever had and is one of my all-time favorites.

Before I end this write-up, as mentioned, I want to share my opinions regarding his spat with Harry. I know earlier in the thread I placed the majority of the blame on Harry; however, after re-watching the exchange and thinking about it for a while, I’ve come to the conclusion everyone involved was at fault. First, there was the producers who I’m sure instructed Ryan to ask Quentin about his feelings and to keep prodding until Quentin finally caved in, for I think they knew the whole situation had the potential to be watercooler talk regarding the show, which in this case happened to be true since it was all over the news and all. Next, there was Quentin himself, who first of all should’ve pulled a Didi Benami and double down in not answering the questions no matter how many times Ryan asked him. Furthermore, in hindsight he could’ve expressed his thoughts more clearly so there wouldn’t be any confusion as to what he was talking about, though I knew what exactly he was referring to the first time; however, I understood he was highly emotional and probably wasn’t thinking clearly. Finally, he could’ve addressed Harry in a better way rather than walking to the judges’ table looking like he was going to slug him, though I knew he wouldn’t do it. All of this made Quentin look bad. Lastly, there was Harry’s role. Though I said Quentin could’ve done a better job articulating what he meant, I thought it was clear he was upset over one of his friends leaving the competition. I’m sure Harry thought Quentin was disrespecting the show in general; however, I thought he went about it the wrong way. First, there was him ensuring the show wouldn’t go to commercial because he wanted to scold Quentin for his perceived disrespect on live television, as if he was thinking “let me dress down this disrespectful little punk on national TV”. Moreover, instead of immediately jumping on him, he could’ve asked Quentin what he meant by his comments, which I’m sure Quentin would’ve clarified if given the chance; I think that could’ve gone a long way to prevent the scenario that eventually happened.

Overall, the whole thing was a shame because I thought it severely hurt Quentin’s chances to go farther into the competition. I knew he was screwed once he was in the B2 with Rayvon because of it, not to mention Rayvon winning every Twitter save up to that point. I’m pretty sure Quentin understood how the show ran and that there could only be one winner, which meant someone would be leaving every week; still it doesn’t mean it wasn’t painful or disappointing to see contestants he developed friendships with potentially leaving any given week. He obviously wore his heart on his sleeve, which in this case severely hurt him. Hopefully, he was able to take something away from whole thing and use it as an educational experience moving forward. 👍

010. Quentin Alexander

The updated list of my season's favorites:

S01:

S02: Kimberley Locke

S03: LaToya London

S04: Bo Bice

S05:

S06: Haley Scarnato

S07: David Cook

S08: Allison Iraheta

S09: Crystal Bowersox

S10: Pia Toscano

S11: Elise Testone

S12: Candice Glover

S13: Jessica Meuse

S14: Quentin Alexander

S15: La'Porsha Renae

S16: Jurnee

S17: Laci Kaye Booth

S18: Jovin Webb

Who's remaining:

Kelly Clarkson

Tamyra Gray

Kimberley Locke

LaToya London

Katharine McPhee

Elliott Yamin

David Cook

Crystal Bowersox

Elise Testone

I'll try to have #9 in later on this evening, as I have yet to start on it. If not, it should definitely be up tomorrow. Until then, any guesses can be made. 👍

@Bk1234 got the first one right! We'll see how the rest goes...

Edited by Crisis
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Quentin Alexander- Aah, I was wondering when this guy would appear... 😅 I had a feeling he would be #10 since I couldn’t imagine him surpassing the other nine finalists in your Top 10, except maybe Crystal Bowersox. Personally, I think you ranked him too high, but it’s your opinion, so I’ll respect that! 😁 I actually just recently watched Quentin’s performance of Master Blaster (Jammin’) for my game, and I liked it way more than I remember. I think a rewatch would do Quentin some good, but I’ll have to finish some other seasons first. 😅 I remember liking how unique and interesting Quentin was. Ironically, him and Joey, arguably the two most unique contestants of the season, were good friends! 😂 In terms of the conflict with Harry, I agree with everything you mentioned. It really was everyone’s fault except Ryan’s, since he was told what to say. 😕 I’m curious what the other judges were thinking in the moment though... 🤔

Prediction for #9: Crystal Bowersox 

Edited by Bk1234

2 hours ago, Crisis said:

To be fair, I don't think anyone did. :haha: Now I'm curious who you thought it was.

Pretty much agree about your opinions on the semi-finalists. The ones I was the most upset about that you posted were A.J., Alexandrea, and Felicia. Yeah it was too bad Baylie bombed as badly as she did because I really wanted her to do well. :( I didn't know she was on The Singing Bee; I've seen a few episodes and obviously missed the one she was on. :haha:

I don't remember if I thought anyone specific, but maybe someone like Melinda or Katharine. :haha: Kat makes sense since she got a lot of hate at one point, and I figured you loved her. 

So looks like we most agree on A.J. :haha: Yeah. :( She was on multiple episodes of The Singing Bee because she was one of the singers on the show. 😄 

Look at me staying caught up on a weekend. :giggle: 

010. Quentin Alexander: Unfortunately, he never really did much for me and I wasn't a fan. :( He definitely had an interesting style, but I guess I didn't connect with him. My opinion could change on rewatch, as I don't really remember his performances all that much. "Rolling In The Deep was one of his weaker performances, not to mention an interesting song choice because it’s not one that comes to mind when thinking about party starters" :lmao: Oh and also, yay the Dark Side love because I love that Kelly song too. :wub: 

Ah so sorry you're disappointed in the lack of predictions! I really have no idea how to guess. :haha: Was that clue for Quentin posted earlier? I didn't see it. I can randomly guess who will appear at #9, but I have no method to this. *thinks* I'll go with Kimberley or David... I have to pick one, so I'll say Kimberley, since a guy was just posted. Actually no, I'll go with David. :lmao: Also, tomorrow is my birthday, so please don't post Kelly or Elliott. :giggle: Just kidding, you can post whoever you want, lol but I'll keep my fingers crossed. 

I hope it’s not David Cook... Today is a sad day for Season 7... 😢

• Sad 1