idolforums.com
Crisis

Crisis On Hand: An American Idol Finalists Ranking List

9 hours ago, hayden98 said:

20. Nick Merico - I was interested to see how he'd fare when I first learned that he was returning. With the edit he received, he stood no chance though. 

19. Aliana Jester - #UnpopularOpinion time, but I actually kinda loved Aliana's performance. I came in thinking she was pure fodder, but I lowkey wanted her in the top 10. Maybe she'll come back eventually? I wouldn't mind.

18. Louis Knight - Louis was definitely better before the live shows, but I still really liked him throughout the competition. Outside of CYFTLT, he was generally pretty decent :yes:

17. Faith Becnel - If she'd been giving us performances like River all season, she may have fared better, but her vibrato was a bit much.

16. Arthur Gunn - I wasn't nearly as crazy about Arthur as the judges or casuals were, but I didn't mind him generally. He's another one where the vibrato got to be too much for me at times. Otherwise, I like him, but his fanbase seems rather salty so not his fault, but that kinda knocks him a bit :P

15. Sophia Wackerman/James - I wanted to love Sophia so much more than I did. She had a couple performances that made me start to take notice, but her tone is an acquired taste and the shortened format really hurt her imo.

14. Cyniah Elise - I'm slightly bitter that she wasn't voted through, but her semifinal performance was just okay. I'd still advance her based on her previous auditions though. When Cyniah was good, she was GREAT lol.

13. Francisco Martin - Francisco is adorable. Definitely one of my favorites this year. I have a feeling he might've been swallowed up had we not done the show at home though.

12. Dillon James - Dillon was consistently one of the better performers, but I never was fully on board. I guess he's just not my cup of tea.

11. DeWayne Crocker, Jr. - lmao I loved his grandma. Unfortunately I don't have many memories of him singing though.

10. Kimmy Gabriela - I hope we see Kimmy come back. I agreed with some of the feedback she got about being unmemorable, but she was sooo good whenever she did sing.

09. Franklin Boone - Franklin was someone I was just lukewarm about the entire time. He definitely has a voice, but I was never invested.

08. Lauren Spencer-Smith - Ugh, I'm heated that Lauren didn't make it. She's someone who I'd definitely buy music from. Being a Canadian probably hurt her; hopefully any future Canadians fare better.

07. Jonny West - I came for Margie, but I stayed when I realize that I really loved his voice beyond that. I kinda dug his lowkey personality too.

06. Makayla Phillips - I knew it was a longshot, but I was hoping she'd slip into the final 7. :(

05. Olivia Ximines - I had such high hopes for Olivia 💔 She would've benefitted so much from the stage.

04. Grace Leer - If I remember correctly, several other American Juniors alumni have auditioned, but Grace is the only one to make the voting rounds. It's so funny to me how polarizing OTR was; I personally loved it. I would've loved to see more performances from Grace.

03. Julia Gargano - Julia was very hit or miss for me. I hated Human and BATB, and loved NYSOM and her Adele cover. It made it kind of infuriating to watch since I knew I could love her, but she was just inconsistent. I'm still excited to see what she does in the future though. 

02. Samantha "Just Sam" Diaz - I'm so happy she won even if some of her song choices were questionable :wub: 

01. Jovin Webb - Jovin was probably my favorite after the auditions, but he never quite reached that level of greatness for me again. His tone is glorious though!

20. It's difficult to overcome a negative edit. Unfortunately, he wasn't that great anyway

19. I know a bit about having unpopular opinions. I may have a few more in the future. :giggle:With that said, it's nice to see someone support her

18. Can't say I agree, but I respect the opinion

17. Agreed

16. Can't say I disagree here

15. She is definitely an acquired taste. Unfortunately, it isn't one I acquired

14. As with Nick, it's difficult to overcome a negative edit. Hers was more damaging

13. He may have very well been lost on stage, so performing from home really helped him

12. Fair enough

11. His great-grandmother was a hoot! Too bad about not remembering his singing

10. Can't say I disagree here

09. Fair enough

08. Being Canadian may have definitely hurt her in some way

07. This is good to see

06. Unfortunately, her having to be saved made her chances of advancing very slim

05. Agreed 💔

04. I would've loved to see more performances from her as well

03. She was definitely inconsistent. She alternated between good and bad performances :lmao:

02. Completely agree

01. Definitely agree about the tone

I won't post the next set for a couple of days. I want to give a chance to comment on the first set of finalists and take a guess at the clues.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Crisis said:

6 of my Top 10 aren't belters/ballad queens (I don't consider Olivia and Sam to be belters) and my favorite contestant certainly isn't one. Half of my Top 10 are people of color, and two of the three singer-songwriters in the Top 10 were pretty popular with the voters, so I'd like to think it's balanced. My favorite contestant is not a conventional one judging by the reactions.

This doesn't excuse the fact that 2 of the most popular contestants, Arthur and Francisco, who also happen to be people of color are relegated to bringing up the rear.  I have a feeling that Alejandro will be suffering the same fate.

Edited by mytake1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, mytake1 said:

This doesn't excuse the fact that 2 of the most popular contestants, Arthur and Francisco, who also happen to be people of color are relegated to bringing up the rear.  I have a feeling that Alejandro will be suffering the same fate.

This will be the only time I will address this here...

If Arthur and Francisco were two of the most popular contestants this past season, more power to them. However, I don't rank any of the contestants based on how popular they are. I rank them solely on how much I enjoyed them during their time on Idol. It just so happened I didn't enjoy Francisco or Arthur as much as some of the others; I have no personal vendetta against them. On the subject of them being POC, I don't even know where this issue came from. Rest assured them being POC also had nothing to do with their rankings. Considering my two favorite contestants from the season are POC (which has absolutely nothing to do why they are my Top 2), I find this argument laughable to be honest. Again, I rank them on how much I enjoyed them on the show. It will be the same for Alejandro or any other contestant. I'm not going to apologize for where I rank the contestants; if this is still an issue, there's nothing more I can say.

If this subject is to be continued, I'm open to discussing it via messaging or even another thread. I'm politely and respectfully asking not to bring this subject in this thread anymore because this is not the reason it was created.

16 hours ago, mytake1 said:

Not surprising - heavy slants towards the belters, ballad queens.  While musicians. singer song writers (including 2 people of color that were ranked very high with voters) are relegated to bringing up the rear.

Vine Ok GIF

10 hours ago, Crisis said:

This will be the only time I will address this here...

If Arthur and Francisco were two of the most popular contestants this past season, more power to them. However, I don't rank any of the contestants based on how popular they are. I rank them solely on how much I enjoyed them during their time on Idol. It just so happened I didn't enjoy Francisco or Arthur as much as some of the others; I have no personal vendetta against them. On the subject of them being POC, I don't even know where this issue came from. Rest assured them being POC also had nothing to do with their rankings. Considering my two favorite contestants from the season are POC (which has absolutely nothing to do why they are my Top 2), I find this argument laughable to be honest. Again, I rank them on how much I enjoyed them on the show. It will be the same for Alejandro or any other contestant. I'm not going to apologize for where I rank the contestants; if this is still an issue, there's nothing more I can say.

If this subject is to be continued, I'm open to discussing it via messaging or even another thread. I'm politely and respectfully asking not to bring this subject in this thread anymore because this is not the reason it was created.

That's why these kinds of lists, rankings are totally irrelevant.  It is purely subjective based on personal preferences and biases.

They have nothing to do with YouTube, Facebook views, charting, streaming, album, concert ticket sales. 

The goal for any contestant is to have a solid career after the show.  And the show should be a starting point.  Just because someone can do a karaoke cover doesn't equate to artistry, musicianship, marketability.

Idol is filled with good singers - but most of them disappear after the show.  It's one thing to vote for someone, but another to spend money on them.

39 minutes ago, mytake1 said:

That's why these kinds of lists, rankings are totally irrelevant.  It is purely subjective based on personal preferences and biases.

They have nothing to do with YouTube, Facebook views, charting, streaming, album, concert ticket sales. 

The goal for any contestant is to have a solid career after the show.  And the show should be a starting point.  Just because someone can do a karaoke cover doesn't equate to artistry, musicianship, marketability.

Idol is filled with good singers - but most of them disappear after the show.  It's one thing to vote for someone, but another to spend money on them.

that is why i like to check the contestants previous work when the spoilers are announced. then it gives you a wider perspective on who has potential for success. (un)fortunately none of my favs ever won. 

To get this train back on track...

The first set of finalists (198-195) are on the previous page. Once I learn how, I'll link the write-ups to the first post of this thread. Feel free to comment on them.

I will have the next set up either tomorrow or Friday night. For anyone who wants to guess who's coming up next, I'll re-post the clues:

• A contestant from one of the first three seasons who's first and last name have the same initials
  • An offspring of a somewhat famous singer
  • Funny off stage, dull on it
  • latest?cb=20180604052430

Here’s my comments on the four lowest contestants in your rankings:

198.  Lazaro:  No arguments on his last-place ranking.  He was a disaster.  Although his meltdown on Sugar Pie Honeybunch was a total riot!  I’d never laughed so hard on this show in all my life!  :rofl:

197.  Jim:  I didn’t really see him perform, but he probably was as bad as you thought.

196.  A.J.:  this ranking is probably right.

195.  Daniel Seavey:  at least he took the competition seriously.  He was just in way over his head.

40 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Once I learn how, I'll link the write-ups to the first post of this thread.

On the right hand side of your post, there's a share button that looks similar to the < symbol. It'll give you a bunch of share options, one of which is the link. Copy the link, and then in your original post, click the "link" icon (directly to the right of the strike-through symbol and to the left of the quote symbol).

let me try to guess: 

• A contestant from one of the first three seasons who's first and last name have the same initials - diana degarmo or amy adams
  • An offspring of a somewhat famous singer - kimmy gabriela fits but probably the girl from season 15 that her mom was a friend of jennifer lopez, who was awful by the way and struggled to sing in key.  had to go to wiki to find out it is Gianna Isabella. 
  • Funny off stage, dull on it - norman gentle (season 8) or kellie pickler (5)

Posted (edited)

Daniel Seavey's has the last laugh.  He has turned out to be one of the most successful alums of the last few years.  And he certainly makes more money than those slamming him, lol  He's a great example of someone who had potential, because he wasn't going to be 15 forever.  He is actually a versatile musician who plays a lot of instruments.  

Edited by mytake1

31 minutes ago, mytake1 said:

Daniel Seavey's has the last laugh.  He has turned out to be one of the most successful alums of the last few years.  And he certainly makes more money than those slamming him, lol  He's a great example of someone who had potential, because he wasn't going to be 15 forever.  He is actually a versatile musician who plays a lot of instruments.  

He may be fine now, but back when he was 15, he wasn’t so great, and that’s what Crisis was looking at with his ranking.

56 minutes ago, mytake1 said:

And? It’s a subjective ranking based off how much he likes them. Their success or lackthereof has no bearing on how much you can like someone.

21 minutes ago, CarmenSandiego said:

He may be fine now, but back when he was 15, he wasn’t so great, and that’s what Crisis was looking at with his ranking.

A great Idol contestant vs having a great career after the show - always opt for the later. 

2 minutes ago, Elliott said:

And? It’s a subjective ranking based off how much he likes them. Their success or lackthereof has no bearing on how much you can like someone.

Well,  IDF has always been bias against a certain type of singer - that usually goes nowhere after the show.  No record deal, no charting, no tour, no streaming stats.

Whether people like Daniel Seavey or not, he should be acknowledged for his success, especially when he is one of the very few from the last few seasons.

1 hour ago, mytake1 said:

I am so happy to see Daniel Seavey make it, especially after all the ugly comments, during his Idol run.    :giggle:

• Like 1

Some quick responses...

16 hours ago, CarmenSandiego said:

Here’s my comments on the four lowest contestants in your rankings:

198.  Lazaro:  No arguments on his last-place ranking.  He was a disaster.  Although his meltdown on Sugar Pie Honeybunch was a total riot!  I’d never laughed so hard on this show in all my life!  :rofl:

197.  Jim:  I didn’t really see him perform, but he probably was as bad as you thought.

196.  A.J.:  this ranking is probably right.

195.  Daniel Seavey:  at least he took the competition seriously.  He was just in way over his head.

198. His "nailed it" pose at the end absolutely killed me! :dead:

197. Honestly, you weren't missing much

196. :thumbs:

195. Agreed

16 hours ago, Elliott said:

On the right hand side of your post, there's a share button that looks similar to the < symbol. It'll give you a bunch of share options, one of which is the link. Copy the link, and then in your original post, click the "link" icon (directly to the right of the strike-through symbol and to the left of the quote symbol).

Thank you! I was driving myself nuts trying to figure this out. I was lurking in other threads trying to learn. I'll most likely do this after work.

14 hours ago, blackfield said:

let me try to guess: 

• A contestant from one of the first three seasons who's first and last name have the same initials - diana degarmo or amy adams
  • An offspring of a somewhat famous singer - kimmy gabriela fits but probably the girl from season 15 that her mom was a friend of jennifer lopez, who was awful by the way and struggled to sing in key.  had to go to wiki to find out it is Gianna Isabella. 
  • Funny off stage, dull on it - norman gentle (season 8) or kellie pickler (5)

Good guesses. For the first clue, Seasons 1 and 2 are also included, so it could be someone from those. The only guess I will say is incorrect is Norman Gentle because he wasn't a finalist (although it would've been a hoot if he were :giggle:).

5 hours ago, CarmenSandiego said:

5 hours ago, Elliott said:

Jordan Peele Thank You GIF

4 hours ago, psterina said:

I am so happy to see Daniel Seavey make it, especially after all the ugly comments, during his Idol run.    :giggle:

In spite of where I rank the contestants and what I may say about them, I wish them all the best after their time on Idol, whether they continue to pursue music or live a normal life; Daniel is no different. My favorite thing about him was his musicality. He had a great understanding of it at such a young age. I just think it would've been better if he were to wait for his voice to mature more before going on Idol, although to be fair, Idol was on its last legs on FOX and his season would've been the penultimate one; therefore, I can't really blame him for auditioning when he did.

Posted (edited)

Time for a new set!

194. Gianna Isabella: Season 15 (9th/10th Place)

86750efd-71ed-4950-9d55-d3ca0b44c75f-Gianna_1.jpg?crop=1439,810,x0,y864&width=1600&height=800&fit=bounds

Gianna Isabella was Brenda K. Starr’s daughter. Oh, didn’t you know she was Brenda K. Starr’s daughter? Well, Idol made sure everyone knew she was Brenda K. Starr’s daughter because they must have mistaken the audience as nails the way they kept hammering everyone with it :rolleyes:. Anyway, in a season with a handful of underdeveloped teens, Gianna was the greenest one of them all. She had some good bones for a solid voice; however, she had some serious pitch problems and had difficulty staying in key most of the time. She sang I Put A Spell On You during the Top 24. After she was selected to advance, she must’ve thought the audience absolutely loved her performance because she decided to sing it again :haha:. Later she sang Listen and If I Ain’t Got You (during the latter looked as if she was at least a decade older). She was eliminated in the first double elimination of the finals after the judges decided not to save her. Gianna would’ve been better waiting for a while and honing her craft more. However, this was supposed to be Idol’s final season, so I can’t really fault her for auditioning.

Clue: An offspring of a somewhat famous singer (Brenda K. Starr had a hit in the mid-80s with the ballad I Still Believe which was later covered by Mariah Carey)

193. Heejun Han: Season 11 (9th Place)

heejun.jpg?w=1200&h=0&zc=1&s=0&a=t&q=89

Heejun was like two different people on Idol. Off the stage, he had this dry, sarcastic personality and was good for a soundbite or two (him taking shots at Richie Law during the Hollywood Rounds was great TV). His interactions with Jimmy Iovine were also comedy gold. On the stage, however, he was one of the most boring performers of the season. In a season as strong as Season 11, Heejun was clearly the weakest link. He would sing these slow, sappy ballads which he struggled with because of poor breath control. The absolute worst offender was Right Here Waiting during Top 11 week; I thought it was easily the worst performance of the season. The following week he decided to embrace his inner Sanjaya and give a joke performance of My Life, which resulted in Steven Tyler ripping him to shreds. It looked as if Heejun took the criticism to heart as went back into his ballad lane and sang A Song For You which happened to be his best performance of the season. Unfortunately for Heejun, it was too little too late as he was eliminated the following night. In the end, while I enjoyed Heejun the person, I didn’t care for Heejun the singer.

Clue: Funny off stage, dull on it

192. Corey Clark: Season 2 (9th Place, Disqualified)

corey-clark_sc_768x1024.png

Ah, Corey Clark. The finalist who is ranked dead last in which I would estimate about 90% of Idol finalist ranking lists. To be honest, if I placed more emphasis on what finalists did off the show, he would be last in mine as well. With that said, he still ranks in my bottom 10 because I simply didn’t enjoy him as a singer. He had this whiny, high-pitched voice I really didn’t like. The only performance of his I could tolerate was Foolish Heart. Everything else was hard on the ears. The biggest offender was Against All Odds, which to me is the worst rendition ever done on the show (I know people will counter with Paige Miles. At least Paige was sick, what’s this guys excuse). His time on Idol ended when he was disqualified around Top 9 for allegedly failing to disclose his arrest record to producers, or something like that. After Idol, he really became a mess with his legal issues and him stating he and Paula had an affair. With everything said, I have no qualms ranking him this low. On a side not, I'm realizing I'm getting rid of the 9th place finalists pretty early. :haha:

Clue: A contestant from one of the first three seasons who's first and last name have the same initials (in this case, CC)

191. Wade Cota: Season 17 (4th/5th Place)

b06ce1604874e0b1e6b11e01d4402321_original.jpg?ixlib=rb-2.1.0&crop=faces&w=1552&h=873&fit=crop&v=1566879239&auto=format&frame=1&q=92&s=0b1098adb801ce8322d63e4de7d72d57

Wade is the first Season 17 finalist to appear in this ranking, which means he was my least favorite finalist from that season. As evident by my Season 18 rankings, I am a fan of raspy voices. Wade’s, however, made me want to go to L.A., pick him up, and take him to the nearest Walgreens. The disappointing thing is liked his song choices; I just didn’t enjoy him singing them. According to him he used to sing metal before going down the rock/soul/blues path. It definitely sounded like it because it often sounded as if his vocal cords were shredded. If I had to pick a performance of his I could tolerate, it would probably be You Are the Best Thing. For all intent and purposes, Wade appeared to be a likeable, down to earth person, though I was annoyed with him when he kept saying he didn’t know the lyrics to California Dreamin’ during Hollywood, and instead of trying to learn the song, he wrote the lyrics on his arm in which he was called out for. Also, he would look surprised when advanced to the next rounds, yet he looked disappointed when he was eliminated. Other than these two scenarios, I really didn’t have a problem with Wade; I just wished I liked his voice more.

Clue: latest?cb=20180604052430 [the picture in question is a group of the Pokemon Wynaut (pronounced "why not"). The night Jeremiah was eliminated, Ryan announced Wade's safety by saying "why not Wade". Come to think of it, Wade kind of sang like a Wynaut. On second thought, he may sounded closer to a Wobbuffet (I kid, I kid!)]

194. Gianna Isabella
193. Heejun Han
192. Corey Clark
191. Wade Cota

Here are some clues for the next set. Starting now, I will list five at a time.

• An Idol love story (this clue is for two finalists)
  • Almost caused a judge to quit the show
  • Whatever Simon was on, I want some
  • Don't let the door hit you on the way out!

Feel free to comment and take a stab at the clues!

Edited by Crisis

55 minutes ago, Crisis said:

An Idol love story (this clue is for two finalists)

Margie Mays and Jonny West? 😂

Can’t complain about any of your rankings, Crisis.

I couldn’t stand Wade’s voice, either.  That’s why I wanted him gone so badly, more than Alejandro in fact.

20 hours ago, anonymouskid_35 said:

Margie Mays and Jonny West? 😂

I can say with confidence it's not them. For starters, they were both on Season 18, which is rated separately from this list. Also, Margie wasn't a finalist (she didn't even make it out of Hollywood). Good guess, though!

6 hours ago, CarmenSandiego said:

Can’t complain about any of your rankings, Crisis.

I couldn’t stand Wade’s voice, either.  That’s why I wanted him gone so badly, more than Alejandro in fact.

Nice to see not much complaint about these rankings thus far!

Wade's voice was certainly an acquired taste. Unfortunately, it wasn't one I was able to acquire.

24 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Nice to see not much complaint about these rankings thus far!

Wade's voice was certainly an acquired taste. Unfortunately, it wasn't one I was able to acquire.

I wasn’t able to acquire it either.  And unlike with James Durban from Season 10, Wade didn’t have anything that could help me overcome my aversion to his being a taste that I could never acquire, since James had Asperger’s Syndrome, like me.

19 minutes ago, CarmenSandiego said:

I wasn’t able to acquire it either.  And unlike with James Durban from Season 10, Wade didn’t have anything that could help me overcome my aversion to his being a taste that I could never acquire, since James had Asperger’s Syndrome, like me.

This makes sense. It's easy to overlook something that may not be a person's style if there is a similarity between the two of them.

2 hours ago, Crisis said:

This makes sense. It's easy to overlook something that may not be a person's style if there is a similarity between the two of them.

Well, it’s easier to overlook something, since I only really began voting for James after my first pick, Thia, was eliminated.  But yeah, James’s vocal style wasn’t my cup of tea but I still wanted him to do well because he had Asperger’s.

^Understandable.

I actually have the next set ready. I'll either wait until the thread gets to the next page or tomorrow, which ever comes first, lol.

190. Curtis Finch, Jr.: Season 12 (10th Place)

rs-158004-curtis-624-1363350988.jpg?resize=940,705&w=940

What is there to say about Curtis? I thought he was technically the best male vocalist of the season. However, he often did too much with his performances, mainly his over-the-top facial expressions, and had a bad habit of over-singing from time to time. This was especially true with I Believe. In addition, he came across as being really arrogant and unlikable. In an environment like AI, at times it doesn’t matter how good you are, if voters don’t like you as a person, you won’t go very far in the competition. I believe this was true for Curtis as he was the first finalist eliminated. Speaking of his elimination, what may be the most memorable thing about it (and Curtis in general for that matter) was Nicki Minaj throwing a temper tantrum and threatening to quit the show because the other judges wouldn’t use the save on him, never mind her being late to the show and thus missing his performance in the first place. Because of this, the save wasn’t used during the season, which I didn’t mind because I’m not a fan of the save in general. Anyway, back to Curtis, he wasn’t really a big loss at the end of the day.

Clue: Almost caused a judge to quit the show

189. Carmen Rasmusen: Season 2 (6th Place)

161990.jpeg

Here we have Carmen, the finalist with a vibrato that sounded like a goat swallowing a jackhammer. There’s nothing wrong with a vibrato that is under control; this just wasn’t the case for Carmen. Initially, Carmen wasn’t a semifinalist; she was cut during the Hollywood Rounds. During the Wildcard Round, however, Carmen – along with three other girls who were cut in Hollywood – were brought back to perform and have a chance to advance to the finals via a wildcard pick. Carmen had a not-so-good performance of Can’t Fight the Moonlight in which the judges weren’t exactly the most complimentary (they weren’t mean, but they didn’t really say anything nice either). Despite this, Simon picked her as his Wildcard to advance to the finals. I felt there were better singers to choose from (I would’ve even favored Aliceyn Cooney singing Angel in every round of the finals), but it is what it is. Unfortunately, I can’t say I can look back at Carmen’s run fondly. I don’t think I enjoyed a single performance of hers, the worst being And So It Goes during Billy Joel week. Overall, Carmen was a nice girl who, as with most teenagers who appeared on the show, was green and could’ve benefited from more experience and seasoning.

Clue: Whatever Simon was on, I want some (my thoughts at the time when he picked Carmen as his wildcard)

188. JAX: Season 14 (3rd Place)

jaxs-american-idol-journey-from-east-brunswick-to-hollywood-36cd560e2dda1489.jpg

JAX was one of the most polarizing contestants in AI history. There didn’t seem to be much middle ground with her; either people liked her or disliked her. From her low ranking, it’s easy to see which umbrella I fit under. The main issue I had with JAX is there appeared to be nothing authentic about her. It seemed as if everything she did, from her performance style, singing, and personality, was calculated to create this character. Obviously, it worked wonders for her as she made it all the way to third place. Speaking of her performances, outside of maybe a couple [Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down) and White Flag], I couldn’t bring myself to enjoy any of them, the worst offenders being Blank Space, Poker Face, Beat It, Are You Gonna Be My Girl, and Misery Business. Lastly, she probably had the tackiest elimination with her learning of her fate backstage, watching her farewell video, and practically getting shoved off stage by Ryan. To be fair, that was just a bad way to eliminate someone whether it was JAX, Clark, or Nick. Also, I remembering hearing about her being diagnosed with thyroid cancer some time after the season. I hope she has fully recovered from that. Still, it doesn’t change that I didn’t enjoy JAX during her time on the show.

Clue: Don't let the door hit you on the way out! (for the way she was eliminated)

187. Gabby Barrett: Season 16 (3rd Place)

rs_600x600-200212122137-600-gabby-barrett-mv-21120.jpg?fit=around%7C1200:1200&crop=1200:1200;center,top&output-quality=90

Next up on this ranking is Gabby Barrett. Gabby wasn’t a bad singer by any means. It’s just that her attitude and performance style left a lot to be desired. It was obvious she wanted to be a country singer, even going as far as heavily emphasizing a country twang in her performances. With that said, there were some performances of her I did enjoy, such as The Climb (even though I absolutely dislike that song) and How Come You Don’t Call Me Anymore. Everything else I didn’t particularly care for. What really soured me on her is her and her family’s behavior after the season. She claimed the show was rigged which explained her third-place finish. Here I am thinking her having one of the worst finale sets in AI history, not performing any of her songs well despite Steve Perry being in the audience giving her a standing ovation and high praise after a lackluster performance of Don’t Stop Believin’, and not coming across as likable as Maddie and/or Caleb had something to do with it, but that's me *shrugs*. In spite of not really being a fan of Gabby, I’ll end this write-up on a positive note. One thing I will say about Gabby: she knows what she wants, and she is willing to pay dues and work hard for it. That eventually paid off as she managed to land a deal and record a #1 hit single with I Hope (which is no small accomplishment, so congratulations to her). She’s off to a great start; we’ll see what happens from here.

Clue: An Idol love story (here is the first half of the clue)

186. Cade Foehner: Season 16 (4th/5th Place)

cade-foehner-square.jpg

Might as well keep the married couple together (spoiler alert: this won’t be the case for the other Idol couples, lol). Mr. Gabby Barrett aka Cade Foehner was someone who I was interested in at the beginning of the season. I remember his take of Feel It Still in Hollywood and was intrigued by it. I even liked his performance of All Along the Watchtower. Unfortunately, it was only downhill from there. It seemed as if he got worse every week. He was never the most technical singer; however, he often growled, screamed, and/or mumbled his way through his songs. This was the most evident in Who Will Save Your Soul, where I couldn’t make out anything he was singing in the first verse. Despite that and a karaoke version of Jungle Love, he made it to the next round. Unfortunately, things weren’t much better for him as he gave a very lackluster performance of Undo It and a passable, if not exciting, version of Simple Man during his last week on the show. With all that said, he appears to be a nice guy and seems to be very supportive of Gabby and her career, and I genuinely hope the two have a long and successful marriage. I just wished he was better than he turned out to be.

Clue: An Idol love story (the second half)

190. Curtis Finch, Jr.
189. Carmen Rasmusen
188. JAX
187. Gabby Barrett
186. Cade Foehner

Clues for the next set:

• The sky is falling, the sky is falling!
  • Cinnamon, tootsie, barrel, gator, egg, sushi, etc.
  • What was the name of the song you did in Hollywood again?
  • I've been thinking out loud how to make this clue perfect, but in the end I don't care
  • Went on to be a finalist on another singing competition

Hint: These are all males