Jump to content

Crisis On Hand: An American Idol Finalists Ranking List


Crisis
 Share

Recommended Posts

At the end of Maddie’s write-up, I briefly mentioned her criticisms of Idol regarding how they have been treating her and Gabby and stated I would share my thoughts on it. I decided to put it in a different post because I didn’t want Maddie’s write-up to be longer than it already was. With that said, here’s what I think about everything:

 

I understand where Maddie is coming from. She believes she has been a great ambassador in terms of promoting Idol after the season; as I mentioned in her write-up, I think her coming back to audition as Lady Mapo was hilarious and part of the Idol promotion she was doing. Therefore, she thinks Idol would return the favor by help promoting her career by inviting her back for some performances and interviews. She is invited back the following season to perform; however, it’s a brief Disney duet with Caleb, and there wasn’t much of an interview post performance. Later in the season, Gabby (I know there are Gabby fans following this thread, so they may want to turn their heads here. I tried to think of a way to sugarcoat what I’m about to say but couldn’t do so, so I’ll just issue a warning.) is invited back to perform an entire original song, plus she gets a decent interview post performance where she was able to mention her being signed to a label as well as her engagement to Cade. As I mentioned in Gabby’s write-up, she and her family acted like a bunch of entitled sore losers post-Idol with them claiming the show was rigged as well as some other unflattering behaviors; the main one I remember was Gabby’s sister tweeting something along the lines of Caleb and Maddie were heading to Hawaii while Gabby was heading for superstardom. I’m pretty sure Maddie saw this and wondered what was happening. Eventually, she and her fans made enough noise to where Maddie was invited back to the S17 finale when the show wasn’t initially planning to have her there. Unfortunately, she only received a brief interview and didn’t get to perform any of her original music (now that I think about it, I don’t think she got to talk about her album either), which was a pity considering her album was going to be released around that time. Personally, I thought the show could’ve created a spot for her to perform; they could’ve done away with the Montell Jordan number which was completely irrelevant and had Maddie perform instead. Since then, the show has continued to mention and promote Gabby while shunning Maddie. With all that has been mentioned, I can see how Maddie would be upset and lash out at the show for the way she has been treated.

 

Now, having said all that, Maddie needs to move on and focus on herself and her career; after all as @Bk1234 mentioned, Idol is the reason she has a career in the first place. Though I understand and agree with her stance towards Idol, her continuing to bash idol is only making her look bad. Gabby, on the other hand, appears to be mainly focusing on her career, and I can pretty much guarantee she isn’t really thinking about Maddie that much. She (Gabby) is off to a great start with a #1 single and it appears her album is receiving some pretty positive reviews. Because of this, it’s understandable why Idol is mentioning and promoting Gabby instead of Maddie, and this is coming from someone who likes Maddie and doesn’t like Gabby at all, as evident by my rankings. Maddie is letting Gabby and Idol live in her hand rent free; she needs to evict them and replace them with more positive energy and thoughts. If she can do so, I feel she would be much better off. Who knows, she could break out somewhere down the road, and Idol would want to promote her in the future.

 

tenor.gif?itemid=13962423

 

Or maybe not, depending on what happens next.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, thevoiceisthetop said:

- What's wrong with the Golden State? - Mandisa
- A rather deadly necessity -  Maddie Poppe
- Wonder if this finalist used the Cornell Method - Trent Harmon
- Came back into the light after four years - Syesha
- Not sad hands - Treynce
 

 

Unfortunately, only 1/5 is correct. Good attempt though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Crisis said:

At the end of Maddie’s write-up, I briefly mentioned her criticisms of Idol regarding how they have been treating her and Gabby and stated I would share my thoughts on it. I decided to put it in a different post because I didn’t want Maddie’s write-up to be longer than it already was. With that said, here’s what I think about everything:

 

I understand where Maddie is coming from. She believes she has been a great ambassador in terms of promoting Idol after the season; as I mentioned in her write-up, I think her coming back to audition as Lady Mapo was hilarious and part of the Idol promotion she was doing. Therefore, she thinks Idol would return the favor by help promoting her career by inviting her back for some performances and interviews. She is invited back the following season to perform; however, it’s a brief Disney duet with Caleb, and there wasn’t much of an interview post performance. Later in the season, Gabby (I know there are Gabby fans following this thread, so they may want to turn their heads here. I tried to think of a way to sugarcoat what I’m about to say but couldn’t do so, so I’ll just issue a warning.) is invited back to perform an entire original song, plus she gets a decent interview post performance where she was able to mention her being signed to a label as well as her engagement to Cade. As I mentioned in Gabby’s write-up, she and her family acted like a bunch of entitled sore losers post-Idol with them claiming the show was rigged as well as some other unflattering behaviors; the main one I remember was Gabby’s sister tweeting something along the lines of Caleb and Maddie were heading to Hawaii while Gabby was heading for superstardom. I’m pretty sure Maddie saw this and wondered what was happening. Eventually, she and her fans made enough noise to where Maddie was invited back to the S17 finale when the show wasn’t initially planning to have her there. Unfortunately, she only received a brief interview and didn’t get to perform any of her original music (now that I think about it, I don’t think she got to talk about her album either), which was a pity considering her album was going to be released around that time. Personally, I thought the show could’ve created a spot for her to perform; they could’ve done away with the Montell Jordan number which was completely irrelevant and had Maddie perform instead. Since then, the show has continued to mention and promote Gabby while shunning Maddie. With all that has been mentioned, I can see how Maddie would be upset and lash out at the show for the way she has been treated.

 

Now, having said all that, Maddie needs to move on and focus on herself and her career; after all as @Bk1234 mentioned, Idol is the reason she has a career in the first place. Though I understand and agree with her stance towards Idol, her continuing to bash idol is only making her look bad. Gabby, on the other hand, appears to be mainly focusing on her career, and I can pretty much guarantee she isn’t really thinking about Maddie that much. She (Gabby) is off to a great start with a #1 single and it appears her album is receiving some pretty positive reviews. Because of this, it’s understandable why Idol is mentioning and promoting Gabby instead of Maddie, and this is coming from someone who likes Maddie and doesn’t like Gabby at all, as evident by my rankings. Maddie is letting Gabby and Idol live in her hand rent free; she needs to evict them and replace them with more positive energy and thoughts. If she can do so, I feel she would be much better off. Who knows, she could break out somewhere down the road, and Idol would want to promote her in the future.

 

tenor.gif?itemid=13962423

 

Or maybe not, depending on what happens next.

I pretty much agree about everything, except the comment about Gabby’s sister. I don’t think Gabby should be held accountable for her sister’s actions, and her sister never said that Caleb and Maddie weren’t going to be successful... 😅

Link to comment
Share on other sites

New Take On Clues

 

-What’s wrong with the Golden State?- Trent Harmon

 

-Wonder if this finalist used the Cornell Method- Trenyce

 

-A rather deadly necessity- Maddie Poppe

 

-Came back into the light after four years- Mandisa

 

-Not sad hands- Syesha Mercado

 

 

Looking forward to an explanation on these! 😅

Edited by Bk1234
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Crisis said:

Syesha: Fair enough about the comments. As for the last sentence, objectively Syesha and Archie had better runs than Brooke; however, I just happen to like Brooke more, even with her issues in the finals.

 

Trent: Obviously I was rooting for La'Porsha to win as well, but if anyone were to beat her I was happy it was Trent (I would be singing a different tune if it were Dalton or MacKenzie :ph34rwave:). I missed the part where J Lo mentioned Phillip during his "group" round performance.

 

Maddie: Yeah, I wasn't too much of a fan of Katy's comments and actions either. Fair enough about not caring for Maddie's comments towards to show. I'll share my opinions regarding that in a separate post.

 

Mandisa: Completely agree with everything said here. 👍


Syesha- I really liked Brooke too, but I’ll save my gushing for when she’s ranked. 😅

 

Trent- I wouldn’t have minded a MacKenzie win! 😅

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bk1234 said:

I pretty much agree about everything, except the comment about Gabby’s sister. I don’t think Gabby should be held accountable for her sister’s actions, and her sister never said that Caleb and Maddie weren’t going to be successful... 😅

 

Yeah, you're right Gabby shouldn't be held accountable for her sister's actions, and yes her sister didn't say Caleb or Maddie weren't going to be successful. However, it can be perceived that way, and it wouldn't surprise me if Maddie and/or Caleb looked at it that way and took offense to it. I personally thought it was in bad taste; her sister could've tweeted her support of Gabby without mentioning Maddie or Caleb, but as mentioned, that's on her (the sister) and not Gabby. It is what it is.

 

1 hour ago, Bk1234 said:

New Take On Clues

 

-What’s wrong with the Golden State?- Trent Harmon

 

-Wonder if this finalist used the Cornell Method- Trenyce

 

-A rather deadly necessity- Maddie Poppe

 

-Came back into the light after four years- Mandisa

 

-Not sad hands- Syesha Mercado

 

 

Looking forward to an explanation on these! 😅

 

Unfortunately, 2/5 are correct this time. I kind of gave one of them away in one of my write-ups; you just have to pay really close attention to it.

 

As for the explanations, I know @miss denise likes to provide her explanations while guessing the clues, so I'll wait and see if she'll come in and does so. If she doesn't by tomorrow evening and if no one gets them all right, I'll explain them then. 

 

1 hour ago, Bk1234 said:


Syesha- I really liked Brooke too, but I’ll save my gushing for when she’s ranked. 😅

 

Trent- I wouldn’t have minded a MacKenzie win! 😅

 

Based on everything said, I would have never expected you to be a Brooke fan. 😅

 

Of course you wouldn't have minded a MacKenzie win. 😂

 

I'm putting the finishing touches on the next set and should have it up some time tonight. 👍 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don’t know why these clues make sense, but here I go, again... (uh oh, now I sound like Margie Mays) 😅

 

-What’s wrong with Golden state?- Mandisa. 
 

-Wonder if this finalist used the Cornell Method- Trent Harmon. 
 

-A rather deadly necessity- Maddie Poppe. 
 

-Came back into the light after four years- Trenyce. 
 

-Not sad hands- Syesha Mercado. 
 

If these are right, I don’t deserve a trophy. I got way too many tries! 😅 I just like to see if I can do it. 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

These were difficult, but I came up with some ideas! Will fully catch up tonight. Thanks for tagging me. :teeheewave:  

 

-What’s wrong with the Golden State?: Maddie - she has a song called "Nothing Good Comes Out of California" 
-Wonder if this finalist used the Cornell Method:  Trent....  maybe referring to him "taking notes" for his competition game plan you mention? 
-A rather deadly necessity: Trenyce - the iconic singing of "I need you like murder" :wub: :haha: 
-Came back into the light after four years: Mandisa - I see she had an album called "Out of the Dark" which came out four years after she hadn't released anything
-Not sad hands: Syesha because she notoriously was given a song from Happy Feet (not sad hands) prior to her elimination. 
 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, miss denise said:

These were difficult, but I came up with some ideas! Will fully catch up tonight. Thanks for tagging me. :teeheewave:  

 

-What’s wrong with the Golden State?: Maddie - she has a song called "Nothing Good Comes Out of California" 
-Wonder if this finalist used the Cornell Method:  Trent....  maybe referring to him "taking notes" for his competition game plan you mention? 
-A rather deadly necessity: Trenyce - the iconic singing of "I need you like murder" :wub:
-Came back into the light after four years: Mandisa - she I see she had an album called "Out of the Dark" which came out four years after she hadn't released anything
-Not sad hands: Syesha because she notoriously was given a song from Happy Feet (not sad hands) prior to her elimination. 
 

Thanks for the explanation. I was thinking about Maddie’s song “Nothing Good Comes Out of California,” but I thought she fit with Trenyce’s clue! 😂

Edited by Bk1234
Link to comment
Share on other sites

045. David Archuleta - He had some good performances, but I never got the hype for Imagine. Some ones I did like were And So It Goes, Stand By Me, Angels, and Smoky Mountain Memories. I liked him because he was awkwardly hilarious, but I wasn't his biggest fan. 

044. Angie Miller - I liked her well enough bu I connected to the other girls in season 12 more. She was always a little too theatrical and try-hard for me. 

043. Jordin Sparks - I love her and even thouh she was a deserving winner over Blake, she faltered somewhat in the last several weeks. I loved her first two albums as well and while I wasn't as fond of her going R&B, I hope she releases new material eventually. 

042. Avalon Young - While I an admit Excuse Me Miss was a great performance, I didn't really like a lot of her others such as Stitches. Not my style. 

041. George Huff - One of my season 3 favorites. I loved Lean on Me and his first four performances in the finals were fire. Even though he had a few rocky weeks after that. he was good top 5 week and should've stayed over Jasmine. I hear he's a background singer for JHud nowadays? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CarmenSandiego said:

No real complaints about the rankings.

 

 

Good to see! 👍

 

2 hours ago, miss denise said:

These were difficult, but I came up with some ideas! Will fully catch up tonight. Thanks for tagging me. :teeheewave:  

 

-What’s wrong with the Golden State?: Maddie - she has a song called "Nothing Good Comes Out of California" 
-Wonder if this finalist used the Cornell Method:  Trent....  maybe referring to him "taking notes" for his competition game plan you mention? 
-A rather deadly necessity: Trenyce - the iconic singing of "I need you like murder" :wub: :haha: 
-Came back into the light after four years: Mandisa - I see she had an album called "Out of the Dark" which came out four years after she hadn't released anything
-Not sad hands: Syesha because she notoriously was given a song from Happy Feet (not sad hands) prior to her elimination. 
 

 

5/5! You did a pretty good job explaining the clues. To add on to Trent's, during the judges' comments one night he pulled out a little book which he said he used to take notes on everything the judges said to him.

 

58 minutes ago, ~Tom~ said:

045. David Archuleta - He had some good performances, but I never got the hype for Imagine. Some ones I did like were And So It Goes, Stand By Me, Angels, and Smoky Mountain Memories. I liked him because he was awkwardly hilarious, but I wasn't his biggest fan. 

044. Angie Miller - I liked her well enough bu I connected to the other girls in season 12 more. She was always a little too theatrical and try-hard for me. 

043. Jordin Sparks - I love her and even thouh she was a deserving winner over Blake, she faltered somewhat in the last several weeks. I loved her first two albums as well and while I wasn't as fond of her going R&B, I hope she releases new material eventually. 

042. Avalon Young - While I an admit Excuse Me Miss was a great performance, I didn't really like a lot of her others such as Stitches. Not my style. 

041. George Huff - One of my season 3 favorites. I loved Lean on Me and his first four performances in the finals were fire. Even though he had a few rocky weeks after that. he was good top 5 week and should've stayed over Jasmine. I hear he's a background singer for JHud nowadays? 

 

045. I didn't get the hype for Imagine either. I thought it was a good performance, but it wasn't as great as it was made out to be. Fair enough about everything else.

044. Pretty much feel the same way though I do like her

043. Pretty much agree with nearly everything here except I don't love her as much.

042. Fair enough

041. Pretty much agree with everything here. Last time I checked, I believe he still is a background singer for her.

 

Assuming nothing else happens, my next post should have the upcoming set.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's the new set! Clues for 35-31:

 

- What more does there need to be done?
- No new item
- Did not unfortunately live up to the title of the coronation song
- Responsible for a finalist's nickname
- Was unable to change the voters' minds

 

35. Dennis Lorenzo: Season 16 (8th/9th/10th Place)

dennis-lorenzo-woodsock.jpg

Leading off the set is the second to last S16 contestant. Dennis had an urban contemporary vibe I liked. He also had a voice that he gradually showed had quite a bit of versatility. I think more than anyone, the short season and the multiple mass eliminations hurt Dennis the most; however, I think some of this has to fall on Dennis himself. He appeared to have a strategy to gradually unveil what he was capable of doing in order to build momentum which would take him far in the competition. That strategy would work in any season prior to S15 where there were more episodes as well as more single eliminations; however, it does no one any good in a season such as S16 with the limited episodes and multiple contestant eliminations per episode. As for his Idol journey, I may be wrong because I’m going off solely my memory here (which is always a dangerous thing, LOL), it began with Dennis sharing his story about how he was originally from Philadelphia but moved to LA in order to pursue a music career. He was homeless for a while before meeting his wife, and I believe she was the one who encouraged him to audition. From there, he would make it through to the semis where he would sing Rude, which was unfortunately a poor song choice on his behalf because it does nothing to really showcase anyone’s voice. I think it was this performance in which he shot himself in the foot somewhat. Nonetheless, Dennis was picked to advance to the Top 14 after a great duet with Allen Stone on Stone’s song Unaware. I believe Jurnee’s and Lea Michele’s duet of Run To You is the most heralded and rightfully so; however, Dennis and Stone’s was my personal favorite, though I mentioned I’m not really a fan of the celebrity duets. In the Top 14, Dennis would sing In My Blood which was both a better song and performance than Rude. Unfortunately, it didn't impress the voters enough as Dennis wasn’t voted into the Top 10; thus, he had to sing for a WC spot, and boy did he ever! He came strong with This Woman’s Work, showing off an impressive falsetto he had kept under wraps; it was easily my favorite of the WC performances. The main thing I liked was how confident he was going into the performance. He was all “I Got This” in contrast to Marcio, who looked absolutely devastated when he wasn’t voted through. He would be picked to advance to the Top 10, where he would sing Can You Feel The Love Tonight. It was a strong performance, probably my third favorite behind Catie and Michael. However, it wasn’t enough for the voters as he was eliminated along with Michelle and Ada later that evening. I had a feeling the Top 7 final spot would be between him and Jurnee. I liked Jurnee more, so I was happy she was the one who made it; however, I wished there was some way Dennis could have as well, for I definitely preferred him to some of the others who were voted through. It was thought that Dennis was screwed over because of the Coast-to-Coast live time voting and him performing last, meaning there wasn’t enough time for him to receive as many votes as he could; I believe he mentioned something like that in some interviews post-Idol. Regardless, Dennis was someone I liked and would’ve liked to have seen him go farther in the season.

 

34. Paris Bennett: Season 5 (5th Place)

1200px-Paris_Bennett.jpg

Paris was a rather interesting contestant. For starters she had this squeaky high-pitched voice when speaking; however, she would have this powerful soulful voice when singing. Out of everyone that season, I felt Paris had the biggest upside; she did come from a strong lineage as her grandmother is gospel legend Ann Nesby. I think the major knock on her is as with most teenagers on the show, she had a lack of a set musical identity. In Paris’ case, however, I think it’s different from the others. More than anyone that season Paris embraced the different themes, as in she would dress and perform according to whatever the theme was. In a sense, she was a performing chameleon and therefore, her song choices were all over the place. I think a lot of it had to do with her not really caring about whether or not she would make it in the music industry; after all, she didn’t plan on having a career in music, but her grandfather talked her into auditioning. Paris decided to do so and planned on giving up singing if she didn’t make it past the initial audition. Not only did she do so, she made it to the Top 24. In the semifinals she started off with a solid performance of Midnight Train To Georgia; I felt it was her best in the semis. I didn’t care too much for her other two semifinals performances Wind Beneath My Wings and Conga. Despite that, she made it to the finals where she sang All I Do during the first week. It was a fun performance and one of the better ones that week. The following week she sang Fever, which while technically good, it wasn’t very believable coming from her; still, it was one of the better performances of the night. Next, she would sing Work It Out which I didn’t really care for mainly because as with Fever, the song was too mature for her and therefore, she came off as a little girl pretending to be a grownup. From there, she would sing How Do I Live, which was an OK performance; I definitely preferred it to WIO from the week before. She would be in the B3 this week but managed to survive it. Next, she would sing The Show Must Go On, which was a solid vocal. The problem I had with it, however, is that she didn’t seem to understand what she was singing. TSMGO was Freddie Mercury’s swan song, so it should have a more serious treatment. However, Paris smiled her way through it, which I didn’t care for too much. Regardless, she followed it up with my favorite performance of hers with These Foolish Things. Sadly, she once again landed in the B3 (I thought Kellie should’ve been there instead), but she managed to survive once again. Her next performance The Way We Were I felt was her most underrated number of the season. The following week she sang Kiss and Be Without You. For the former, the main thing I remember was Simon saying only three words about it: screechy and annoying. 😂 As for the latter, I thought it was another underrated performance. Those would be her final two performances of the season as she was eliminated the following night. Post-Idol, I know she released an album with included a track with Kevin Covais rapping on it (yes, you read right; I wish I was making this up 😐). Outside of this, I don’t think she’s done much musically. Despite being all over the place at times, I did enjoy Paris a lot during S5.

 

33. Kree Harrison: Season 12 (2nd Place)

Kree-Harrison-.jpg

Kree was someone I liked a lot during the season. I thought she had a really pretty voice that could handle just about anything. On top of that, she appeared to be a very nice and likable girl. With that said, the biggest criticism I’ve seen others had with her is that she appeared to be too laid back during the competition. It was as if she didn’t care if she won or not; she definitely didn’t appear to have the killer instinct or desire to win that Angie or Candice had. Because of this, it was thought that Kree really didn’t put much effort into her performances; to be fair, I could see how she could come off that way. I do think she was capable of more than what she showed on Idol, yet I still thought she had a decent run all things considered. She started off with Up To The Mountain which was a strong performance. She was picked to advance where she would sing Stronger, which I thought was better than UTTM. She would eventually make the finals where she would give my favorite performance of hers with her victory song Evidence. I was hoping she would have more of those type of performances, but she never really did. With an exception of maybe a couple of hiccups, Kree had a solid run in the finals. Her first final performance, Crying, was a really solid vocal. However, I felt she gave a better performance the following week when she sang With A Little Help From My Friends, though she clearly did the Joe Cocker version instead of The Beatles. I also enjoyed Don’t Play That Song; however, I didn’t care too much for Piece Of My Heart the following week. What The World Needs Now Is Love was a fine performance; however, she would give a better one later that evening with Help Me Make It Through The Night. Unfortunately, that and pretty much everything else was overshadowed by Candice’s huge night; having said that, HMMITTN was one of favorites from Kree. She would have another solid night the following week with both She Talks To Angels and Have You Ever Been In Love. I didn’t care too much for It Hurts So Bad, but I liked A Whiter Shade Of Pale. The following week she did See You Again, which I felt was really solid and one of the few times a Carrie Underwood song was done well. She followed that with Stormy Weather, which was OK, nothing too special. She would make it to the Top 3 where admittedly she had her worst night of the season. She did really well with Here Comes Goodbye; however, I felt she struggled with Perfect and Better Dig Two. Perfect was probably her worst performance of the season, and I thought Better Dig Two could’ve been better than what it was. I thought Kree hurt her chances of getting to the finale; however, that wasn’t the case as she was voted through. I remember there being some ugly comments towards both Kree and Candice after Angie’s elimination, with Kree getting the worst of it, Idol fandom at its best. Regardless, Kree had an OK night at the finale with her three performances, the best being her reprise of UTTM, which I thought was better than the first time she did it. It wasn’t enough as she finished as the runner up to Candice, which was pretty easy to see coming; I think even Kree knew what the result would be. From what I understand, she released an album in 2016, but I haven’t heard anything from it. Overall, while I don’t think she truly showed what she was capable of, I did enjoy Kree on Idol all things considered.

 

32. Jurnee: Season 16 (6th/7th Place)

573ff9c43bae6c037c4f14cb4f9d4789.jpg

With Jurnee’s appearance, S16 has officially been finished (the first two seasons completely ranked are the two most recent ones excluding S18, go figure :haha:). Jurnee was this beautiful girl who had one of the prettiest, clearest voices that has ever been on the show. As Luke mentioned throughout the season, she made her singing look effortless, which was considered to be a knock on her. It was thought that because her singing looked so effortless, it appeared she didn’t try hard enough. In addition to this, it was thought Jurnee had dead eyes when she performed and therefore, she didn’t appear to connect to any song. Finally, she may have come off as aloof and cold to viewers, though I think she was just more reserved compared to the others that season. Her background was of her being a young newlywed whose wife was deployed in (or soon to be deployed to) Iraq. Now that I think about it, I recall seeing her during the Hollywood Rounds in S15, though I don’t think the show focused too much on her. :haha: Back to S16, she started off with Flashlight during Top 24 week, which was one of the better performances of the night. She then had the Run With You duet with Lea Michele, which was one of the best of the semis. To think Jurnee was planning to sing that song for her solo; needless to say, it’s probably for the better if she didn’t, though I have no doubt she would’ve done well with it. She would eventually be picked to advance to the Top 14 where she would perform Bang Bang, which was an interesting song choice to say the least. Up to that point Jurnee had sang only ballads, so I guess she figured it was time for an up-tempo number. However, I had my reservations because it’s a song done by three different artists on it, plus it included a rap verse. Nonetheless, Jurnee did her thing with it; she even nailed the rap part! I was hoping she would be voted to the next round, but unfortunately she wasn’t and had to sing for a WC spot. She sang Never Enough, which some thought was a cop out because it was her Showcase Round song. I figured she picked it because it was a song she was comfortable with and considering what was at stake, I didn’t really have a problem with it. 🤷‍♂️ Regardless, she did a nice job with it and would be picked as a WC. The following week she would sing How Far I’ll Go, which I thought was one of the better performances of the evening. As I mentioned in my Dennis write-up, I felt the last spot would be between him and Jurnee and was happy Jurnee got it, which meant she would be able to participate in the summer tour. The next week she gave two solid performances with Kiss and Back At One, though the background with the eyes in the latter creeped me out a bit. I thought she was the second best of the night behind only Maddie. Unfortunately, this would be Jurnee’s last week as she was eliminated with Catie at the end of the night. I pretty much knew it was coming because she was a WC after all; still I hoped she would make it through. Finally, I have to mention the duet with Nick Jonas at the finale. I thought she completely out shined him in that number; just by watching it you’d think Jurnee was the music star and Nick was the Idol hopeful. 😅 While she was a part of the tour, Jurnee unfortunately had to withdraw from it due to vocal cord issues, which sucked. Overall, I liked Jurnee a lot and enjoyed just about everything she did on Idol.

 

31. Clark Beckham: Season 14 (2nd Place)

EAagyecQ-e1574134095601-scaled.jpg

Clark was a contestant who many thought (myself included) would win S14; however, as we all know, that was not the case. Out of all of the contestants that season, I felt he certainly had the best case for the title. He was a strong contestant who had a great voice and his fair share of strong performances. If I were to have a criticism of Clark, it would be he had a bad habit of over-singing at times which didn’t sound all that pleasant. Another knock on Clark was that his music style was considered to be outdated, which may be part of the reason he didn’t win (though that didn’t hurt the winner from the previous season, though I liked said winner 😕). Anyway, on to his Idol run. He got off to a strong start with When A Man Loves A Woman during the first round of the semis; it was my second favorite performance of the evening. He followed that with a solid effort of Tracks Of My Tears. From there, he would easily make the finals where he gave a strong performance of It’s A Man’s Man’s Man’s World. I also really liked his following three performances Takin’ It To The Streets, Sunday Morning, and Every Breathe You Take; for the latter, I was really happy he redeemed it after what Alex Preston did to it the year before. However, it would be the following week where he gave my personal favorite of his and probably his best performance of the season with The Trouble With Love Is; it’s one of the performances from that season I re-watch on a near regular basis. He followed that performance with Make It Rain, which was another strong showing of his. He would have two OK performances the following week with Superstition and Moon River, with me preferring the former over the latter. I thought Yesterday was OK; however, I really liked Boyfriend although once again I’m not a Justin Bieber fan. The following week, however, Clark would have his worst overall night of the season with Living For The City and Your Man; unfortunately, those were two underwhelming efforts from him. I believe this was also the week where he had the infamous run in with Borchetta over which music direction and style would be suitable for him. Borchetta wanted him to change it up some; however, Clark chose to stick to his guns. As a result, it was believed Borchetta tried to bus Clark from that point on. This appeared to be true the following week when he gave Clark Beautiful Day; it reminded me of when the producers gave Syesha that Happy Feet song. It was a song that did not suit Clark at all; he did what he could with it, but it was probably his weakest performance of the season. However, he redeemed himself with his other two performances (Sittin’ On) The Dock Of The Bay and Earned It. Fortunately, he made the finale after the bus attempt (imagine a Nick/JAX finale 🥶, that would be the one scenario where I wouldn’t have a problem with Nick winning :haha:), where he had two strong performances of Georgia On My Mind and Ain’t No Sunshine. However, his coronation song Champion was tragic; it was certainly one of the worst ones Idol has ever had. Despite that, I thought Clark outperformed Nick and did well enough to win. Apparently, the voters thought differently because Nick ended up taking the crown. I know Clark released some music post-Idol; however, I haven’t gotten around to hearing any of it. I also know he has some videos of him reviewing S18 online; I’ve watched a couple of them and thought he made some solid points about the show and the contestants. So yeah, I did like Clark a lot and enjoyed a number of his performances during the season.

 

035. Dennis Lorenzo

034. Paris Bennett

033. Kree Harrison

032. Jurnee

031. Clark Beckham

 

After this set, a few more of my seasons' favorites are now known. The updated list (bold means all the contestants that season have been ranked):

 

S01:

S02:

S03:

S04:

S05:

S06:

S07:

S08: Allison Iraheta

S09: Crystal Bowersox

S10:

S11:

S12: Candice Glover

S13:

S14: Quentin Alexander

S15: La'Porsha Renae

S16: Jurnee

S17: Laci Kaye Booth

S18: Jovin Webb

 

Coming up in the next set:

 

- I may break some hearts with the ranking of this contestant
- Matthew McConaghey
- Caught up in spircles
- Had to climb quite a bit
- A song title that was on this contestant after an utopian breakout

Edited by Crisis
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/18/2020 at 10:32 AM, Crisis said:

 

045. Yeah, I had a feeling that one was going to be pretty obvious. :giggle: I forgot he was on Star Search, then again the only person overall who I could clearly remember from the show was Aaliyah. 😢 💔 I expected nothing less when it came to the gushing even in it's condensed form. :haha: I can imagine (no pun intended) how crushing it was to see him come up short when it looked like he had a strong chance to win. I'm pretty sure his debut single being released before your birthday was an amazing gift. :haha: Wow, at seeing him and meeting him multiple times; I'd guess each time was a great experience. 👍

 

Yeah, looking back I think this was one of the easier set of clues I've posted. I'm currently working on the next set now and hopefully will have it posted some time today, so we'll see how you'll do with the last one. 😉

 

Oh no, I never saw Aaliyah on Star Search. :(❤️ I think I watched it later on, and yeah it looks like she was on before I was born. Besides David, I remember Tori Kelly competing on there, as I'm a big fan of hers too. Yes, all your assumptions through the rest of these sentences are correct. :haha:  ❤️ 

 

The next one was really difficult. :haha:   

 

3 hours ago, Crisis said:

 

5/5! You did a pretty good job explaining the clues. To add on to Trent's, during the judges' comments one night he pulled out a little book which he said he used to take notes on everything the judges said to him.

 

Thanks! Oh okay, I definitely did not remember that. :haha:  That reminds me of something I keep wondering, but always forget to ask. Did you rewatch all these seasons and keep notes in preparation for the list or do you just have an amazing memory of all the details of everyone's performances and time on Idol? 😮 

 

 

040. Syesha Mercado: I wasn't much of a fan at first, but didn't hate her like you apparently. :dead:  Yikes.  Well, that is absolutely amazing the 180 she did on you to end up this high on the list. She grew on me throughout the season, so I really liked her towards the end, even though I still preferred most of the other contestants (it was just a stacked group). I always liked her voice and loved various performances of hers throughout, although seems some of my biggest favorites you didn't care for. :(  At least we can agree on ORNRTM, which was fantastic. :yes: 

039. Trent Harmon: I love him and he was one of my favorites too. My memory is a bit fuzzy on anything non-Dalton from that season though, so I could definitely use a rewatch of his performances. :haha: But I really enjoyed his voice and thought he was very strong and consistent. I was happy with him winning and his country album is really so good! I didn't really expect that genre for him either, but he deserves much more credit and recognition for his music. :broken: It's a shame, but I honesty love so many of his songs.  

038. Maddie Poppe:  I wasn't crazy about Maddie for most or all of the season. She has a nice voice, but I guess I didn't connect with her. I loved Caleb and Gabby, so we disagree a lot here. However, Maddie grew on me a ton on tour, so I became a fan and considered her a favorite after that. I really enjoyed her album and loved when she came back for that fake Idol audition. :haha:  I am disappointed with some of her behavior I've seen though... I'll try to ignore that because I liked where we were before that. :haha: 

037. Mandisa: I didn't really mind her, but wasn't much of a fan. I did really like some of her performances, like "Never" and "I Don't Hurt Anymore."  I forgot how great her exchange was with Simon regarding his unnecessary comments, so loved that. ❤️ I preferred many others on this season though.

036. Trenyce:  “I need you like murder, like breasts, like Wayne”.  :lmao:   I know the first part was always joked about, but I never heard the rest of that before. Yikes. Anyway, I do really like Trenyce and considered her a secondary favorite on the season. She has a nice voice.

 

035. Dennis Lorenzo: Why did I think he was already posted? :lmao: I'm confusing him with someone else. Anyway... I think I liked him.  He had a good voice and some solid performances from what I remember, but clearly doesn't stand out that much to me, lol. :blushingwave:

034. Paris Bennett: I liked her a lot and wow, fun to relive her S5 journey through your write-up. ❤️ She did adapt a lot to the themes and took on different songs, which was fun to see. I think I enjoyed her more at the start of the show than the end, but still always considered her among my favorites. LOL I forgot about her doing a song with Kevin rapping.

033. Kree Harrison: She has a nice voice, but I never really took much notice of her. I guess maybe I lacked a connection. I do like her voice, but barely remember any specific performances from her. 

032. Jurnee: I really liked her as well, and it's sad the voters didn't latch on to her more. I liked her voice and personality. It's also a bummer she had to miss most of the tour.I would have liked to have seen her. :( 

031. Clark Beckham: LOVE him and my favorite of the season. :wub:  I never felt he oversang and had no issue with his supposed outdated style. He also sang some contemporary songs and slayed them, so those are my thoughts for the haters. :giggle: He had so many standout and amazing performances for me! What an amazing voice and such a likeable guy. I really was rooting for him to win, sigh. Aww I liked his LFTC, but we more or less agree on other favorite performances of his.  I guess I wasn't all that crazy about "Champion" in general, but I liked his performance.  I've heard some of his music and really like it.  This one in particular is a jam: 

 

 

:bobo: 

 

Now let's see about these clues. :haha: 

 

What more does there need to be done?: Jurnee? I feel like this and the last clue could be either her or Dennis due to the voters not voting for them much unless they're about something else. Some of her song choices like "Never Enough" and "You Don't Do It for Me Anymore" could kind of align with the wording of this clue though. 
- No new item: Kree? I see she has a song "This Old Thing"
- Did not unfortunately live up to the title of the coronation song: Clark because ... "Champion" 😢 
- Responsible for a finalist's nickname: Paris because I believe she came up with "Chicken Little" for Kevin
- Was unable to change the voters' minds: Dennis? For lack of voter support.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Crisis said:

035. Dennis Lorenzo

034. Paris Bennett

033. Kree Harrison

032. Jurnee

031. Clark Beckham

I think @miss denise did a good job on these clues, so I’ll just share my opinions! 😁

 

Dennis Lorenzo- I don’t really remember much from him except “In My Blood” and his finale performance which just seemed like he was yelling. 😅 I always get so confused between him and Dimitrius... 😂

 

Paris Bennett- No comment. 
 

Jurnee- My second favorite from S16. I loved Jurnee’s Top 24 performance and duet! ❤️ I was also obsessed with her version of “Kiss.” I really think she should have went MUCH farther, but as you said, ABC wildcards don’t make it too far. Glad to see that’s she’s your season favorite! 😊👍 Just a correction, I believe Jurnee sang “Never Enough” for her Showcase Round and not her audition, but I could be wrong. 😅

 

Kree Harrison- To me, Kree was the more versatile country gal compared to Janelle. She showed that she could do huge powerhouse songs, as well as relaxed country tunes. Do I think she should have made the Top 2? No. Was I mad over it? No, not really. 😅 After she got in, I knew Candice was going to sail to the win! 😂

 

Clark Beckham- If I had to pick a favorite from Season 14, it would be him. I loved his version of “(Sittin’ On) The Dock of the Bay,” and I thought he should have definitely won over Nick... 😕 I also really enjoyed his S18 commentary and I hope he does them for S19. 
 

After looking at the clues, I’m a little nervous for the next set... 💔

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, thevoiceisthetop said:

- What more does there need to be done? - Paris Bennett
- No new item - Jurnee
- Did not unfortunately live up to the title of the coronation song - Clark Beckham
- Responsible for a finalist's nickname - Kree Harrison
- Was unable to change the voters' minds - Dennis Lorenzo

 

 

 

 

 

2/5. Good attempt.

 

6 hours ago, miss denise said:

 

Oh no, I never saw Aaliyah on Star Search. :(❤️ I think I watched it later on, and yeah it looks like she was on before I was born. Besides David, I remember Tori Kelly competing on there, as I'm a big fan of hers too. Yes, all your assumptions through the rest of these sentences are correct. :haha:  ❤️ 

 

The next one was really difficult. :haha:   

 

Thanks! Oh okay, I definitely did not remember that. :haha:  That reminds me of something I keep wondering, but always forget to ask. Did you rewatch all these seasons and keep notes in preparation for the list or do you just have an amazing memory of all the details of everyone's performances and time on Idol? 😮 

 

 

040. Syesha Mercado: I wasn't much of a fan at first, but didn't hate her like you apparently. :dead:  Yikes.  Well, that is absolutely amazing the 180 she did on you to end up this high on the list. She grew on me throughout the season, so I really liked her towards the end, even though I still preferred most of the other contestants (it was just a stacked group). I always liked her voice and loved various performances of hers throughout, although seems some of my biggest favorites you didn't care for. :(  At least we can agree on ORNRTM, which was fantastic. :yes: 

039. Trent Harmon: I love him and he was one of my favorites too. My memory is a bit fuzzy on anything non-Dalton from that season though, so I could definitely use a rewatch of his performances. :haha: But I really enjoyed his voice and thought he was very strong and consistent. I was happy with him winning and his country album is really so good! I didn't really expect that genre for him either, but he deserves much more credit and recognition for his music. :broken: It's a shame, but I honesty love so many of his songs.  

038. Maddie Poppe:  I wasn't crazy about Maddie for most or all of the season. She has a nice voice, but I guess I didn't connect with her. I loved Caleb and Gabby, so we disagree a lot here. However, Maddie grew on me a ton on tour, so I became a fan and considered her a favorite after that. I really enjoyed her album and loved when she came back for that fake Idol audition. :haha:  I am disappointed with some of her behavior I've seen though... I'll try to ignore that because I liked where we were before that. :haha: 

037. Mandisa: I didn't really mind her, but wasn't much of a fan. I did really like some of her performances, like "Never" and "I Don't Hurt Anymore."  I forgot how great her exchange was with Simon regarding his unnecessary comments, so loved that. ❤️ I preferred many others on this season though.

036. Trenyce:  “I need you like murder, like breasts, like Wayne”.  :lmao:   I know the first part was always joked about, but I never heard the rest of that before. Yikes. Anyway, I do really like Trenyce and considered her a secondary favorite on the season. She has a nice voice.

 

035. Dennis Lorenzo: Why did I think he was already posted? :lmao: I'm confusing him with someone else. Anyway... I think I liked him.  He had a good voice and some solid performances from what I remember, but clearly doesn't stand out that much to me, lol. :blushingwave:

034. Paris Bennett: I liked her a lot and wow, fun to relive her S5 journey through your write-up. ❤️ She did adapt a lot to the themes and took on different songs, which was fun to see. I think I enjoyed her more at the start of the show than the end, but still always considered her among my favorites. LOL I forgot about her doing a song with Kevin rapping.

033. Kree Harrison: She has a nice voice, but I never really took much notice of her. I guess maybe I lacked a connection. I do like her voice, but barely remember any specific performances from her. 

032. Jurnee: I really liked her as well, and it's sad the voters didn't latch on to her more. I liked her voice and personality. It's also a bummer she had to miss most of the tour.I would have liked to have seen her. :( 

031. Clark Beckham: LOVE him and my favorite of the season. :wub:  I never felt he oversang and had no issue with his supposed outdated style. He also sang some contemporary songs and slayed them, so those are my thoughts for the haters. :giggle: He had so many standout and amazing performances for me! What an amazing voice and such a likeable guy. I really was rooting for him to win, sigh. Aww I liked his LFTC, but we more or less agree on other favorite performances of his.  I guess I wasn't all that crazy about "Champion" in general, but I liked his performance.  I've heard some of his music and really like it.  This one in particular is a jam: 

 

 

:bobo: 

 

Now let's see about these clues. :haha: 

 

What more does there need to be done?: Jurnee? I feel like this and the last clue could be either her or Dennis due to the voters not voting for them much unless they're about something else. Some of her song choices like "Never Enough" and "You Don't Do It for Me Anymore" could kind of align with the wording of this clue though. 
- No new item: Kree? I see she has a song "This Old Thing"
- Did not unfortunately live up to the title of the coronation song: Clark because ... "Champion" 😢 
- Responsible for a finalist's nickname: Paris because I believe she came up with "Chicken Little" for Kevin
- Was unable to change the voters' minds: Dennis? For lack of voter support.

 

It was the same for me regarding Aaliyah, as in she was before my time as well and watched her later on. Speaking of Tori Kelly, it's funny how the biggest name to come from S9 is one who didn't even make it to the voting rounds. :haha:

 

Based on the number of guesses, it looks like that set was a difficult one. :haha:

 

I'm a notoriously poor note taker, so it's definitely not that (definitely not as good as Trent apparently). 😅 Most of it is based on memory, though my best memories are from S1-S7. There were a few whose journeys I had to rewatch because I couldn't remember some of them, like Walker for example. I also rewatch a few things to verify if I remembered something correctly or not.

 

040. Considering how much I loathed her back then, I never thought she would grow on me this much. 😆 Fair enough about the rest of the comments, though now I'm curious which performances you liked that I didn't care for. 🤔

039. Pretty much agree with everything here, though I still wished La'Porsha won (though it's probably for the better as I will explain in her write-up). Despite being disappointed in him going the country route, I did like his album and still listen to a few songs from it once in a while.

038. Fair enough. Yeah, unfortunately Gabby is one of my least favorite contestants, but I didn't really mind Caleb that much all things considered. At least Maddie grew enough on you during the tour. Yeah, her behavior, while understandable, is rather disappointing as I explained up-thread.

037. Fair enough about her

036. Pretty much agree with everything here. She's still one of my favorites although she is no longer the favorite.

 

035. Fair enough about him. It's pretty easy to see how he could slip through the cracks. :haha:

034. Pretty much agree with everything written here.

033. Fair enough. As I mentioned, she may have been too laid back and therefore, she may not have been as memorable as some of the others.

032. Not much to say but agree with everything here, especially with her having to miss most of the tour. :(

031. Agree with everything except for him being my favorite (but being #2 isn't too bad). I'll have to check out the video when I have more time. 👍

 

5/5! I'll talk about a couple of the clues. I mentioned Paris giving Kevin his nickname in his write-up, so anyone would've gotten that if they read or remembered it. As for Dennis, he said something along the lines of changing the voters' minds after not being voted into the Top 10 and before his WC performance. Everything else is self-explanatory.

 

2 hours ago, Bk1234 said:

I think @miss denise did a good job on these clues, so I’ll just share my opinions! 😁

 

Dennis Lorenzo- I don’t really remember much from him except “In My Blood” and his finale performance which just seemed like he was yelling. 😅 I always get so confused between him and Dimitrius... 😂

 

Paris Bennett- No comment. 
 

Jurnee- My second favorite from S16. I loved Jurnee’s Top 24 performance and duet! ❤️ I was also obsessed with her version of “Kiss.” I really think she should have went MUCH farther, but as you said, ABC wildcards don’t make it too far. Glad to see that’s she’s your season favorite! 😊👍 Just a correction, I believe Jurnee sang “Never Enough” for her Showcase Round and not her audition, but I could be wrong. 😅

 

Kree Harrison- To me, Kree was the more versatile country gal compared to Janelle. She showed that she could do huge powerhouse songs, as well as relaxed country tunes. Do I think she should have made the Top 2? No. Was I mad over it? No, not really. 😅 After she got in, I knew Candice was going to sail to the win! 😂

 

Clark Beckham- If I had to pick a favorite from Season 14, it would be him. I loved his version of “(Sittin’ On) The Dock of the Bay,” and I thought he should have definitely won over Nick... 😕 I also really enjoyed his S18 commentary and I hope he does them for S19. 
 

After looking at the clues, I’m a little nervous for the next set... 💔

 

Dennis: Fair enough about him. 😂 at being confused between him and Dimitrius

 

Jurnee: Yeah, you're right; she sang it during the Showcase Round. I went and corrected it. I wished she would've went farther too. ☹️

 

Kree: I agree she was the more versatile country girl compared to Janelle. Fair enough about everything else.

 

Clark: He's not my favorite, but I still liked him a lot. Agreed with everything else

 

1 hour ago, Bk1234 said:

If I’m right about all these clues (which I doubt I am), then I think this is gonna be a tough set for a lot of people... 😕

 

I have a feeling there may be some tears shed with the next set, but at least it's the Top 30 now. 😕

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

i have a feeling miss denise beat me with her clues and got them all right.. so i won't even try. 

no comment on the ranking. season 5 had the best overall top 5 and the most diverse. every other season had someone on top 5 who didn't deserve that spot. 

 

i will try to guess  your fav from each season:

1- kelly or tamyra 

4 - carrie

5 - katherine

6 - melinda

7 - david cook

10 - haley

11- hollie 

13 - caleb or jess (my guess is jess) 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, blackfield said:

i have a feeling miss denise beat me with her clues and got them all right.. so i won't even try. 

no comment on the ranking. season 5 had the best overall top 5 and the most diverse. every other season had someone on top 5 who didn't deserve that spot. 

 

i will try to guess  your fav from each season:

1- kelly or tamyra 

4 - carrie

5 - katherine

6 - melinda

7 - david cook

10 - haley

11- hollie 

13 - caleb or jess (my guess is jess) 

 

I don’t know if this counts as “discussing clues (if it does, I’ll edit this), but if my guesses for these next clues are right, one of these is definitely wrong. 🤔 Also, @miss denise (fellow Archie fan) is so good at this and I love it! 😂

Edited by Bk1234
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Bk1234 said:

I don’t know if this counts as “discussing clues (if it does, I’ll edit this), but if my guesses for these next clues are right, one of these is definitely wrong. 🤔 Also, @miss denise (fellow Archie fan) is so good at this and I love it! 😂

and she is also faster.. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, blackfield said:

i have a feeling miss denise beat me with her clues and got them all right.. so i won't even try. 

no comment on the ranking. season 5 had the best overall top 5 and the most diverse. every other season had someone on top 5 who didn't deserve that spot. 

 

i will try to guess  your fav from each season:

1- kelly or tamyra 

4 - carrie

5 - katherine

6 - melinda

7 - david cook

10 - haley

11- hollie 

13 - caleb or jess (my guess is jess) 

 

 

Can't say I disagree with S5 having the most diverse and at least one of the best Top Fives overall. As for the guesses, we'll see what happens...

 

5 hours ago, Bk1234 said:

I don’t know if this counts as “discussing clues (if it does, I’ll edit this), but if my guesses for these next clues are right, one of these is definitely wrong. 🤔 Also, @miss denise (fellow Archie fan) is so good at this and I love it! 😂

 

Don't worry, as long as the actual clues themselves and/or the contestants regarding the clues are discussed, you're fine. 😉 Yes, she is good at this. 😂

 

4 hours ago, blackfield said:

and she is also faster.. 

 

Not always. :haha:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...