idolforums.com
Crisis

Crisis On Hand: An American Idol Finalists Ranking List

2 hours ago, Crisis said:

Good to see Asperger's isn't impacting your life too much. Sorry to hear about anxiety, though; I hear it can be a pain.

I'll post the next set in a few minutes.

It beats depression, however.  Fortunately for me, depression is not something that I’m prone to.

As for your rankings of Kimmy, Franklin, Lauren Spencer-Smith, Jonny and Makayla, while I might not have ranked some of them as high as you did, I have no quarrel with your rankings.  And I think I know who’s getting first place.  :wink:

3 hours ago, x3 because of u said:

I love these types of lists. 😃 Will probably be lurking most of the time but I agree with a majority of your rankings so far.

Thanks for stopping by. Don't be afraid to comment; I promise I won't bite. 😉 I like reading what people think (even if they disagree with me and think I'm an idiot😆). Yay for agreeing with a majority of my rankings so far!

2 hours ago, CarmenSandiego said:

It beats depression, however.  Fortunately for me, depression is not something that I’m prone to.

As for your rankings of Kimmy, Franklin, Lauren Spencer-Smith, Jonny and Makayla, while I might not have ranked some of them as high as you did, I have no quarrel with your rankings.  And I think I know who’s getting first place.  :wink:

That's really good to hear.

Fair enough about the rankings. I had a feeling some wouldn't agree with where I ranked these batch. I'm just about ready to post my last set; however, I'll wait and see if you can guess who's getting first place. I'll wait for an hour.

I barely stumbled upon this thread but fair rankings. Some disagreements but nothing major and my favorite hasn't shown up yet so yay!

It's now time to unveil the final five. Where do the remaining contestants rank? We're about to find out...

5. Olivia Ximines

Olivia+Ximines.jpg

If there was anyone who was affected the most by the changes of Idol this season due to the pandemic, it was Olivia. Out of everyone, she was more of a performer who would’ve benefited from being on stage. She didn’t do herself any favors with bad guy either, because that’s not a song you can really perform on. She did the best she could; unfortunately, it wasn't enough. It’s too bad because she was my favorite of the teens. She was confident without coming across as arrogant, which is something Cyniah struggled with. She was just a bundle of joy. I don’t know if she would’ve fared better with a stage in terms of the voting, but she was someone I was looking forward to when the season started.

4. Grace Leer

Grace+Leer+2.jpg

Next up is Grace Leer. I believe she is the only contestant to compete on both American Juniors and American Idol (someone can verify that). Though I was bummed about Lauren M. not making it, I was really happy for Grace. As I’ve said before, out of the two, Grace would’ve benefited more from being on the show. That is until the pandemic changed everything. Grace is someone who would’ve been better with a stage than having to perform at home. Despite this, I did like her a lot. I thought she was the best technical singer of the group; also, it didn’t hurt that she was easy on the eyes. Her Cry got off to a rough start; however, she finished it strong. Unfortunately, she hurt her chances with her rendition of Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Technically, it was very good. The problem was, however, that she belted that song from beginning to end, which is something a song like that didn't need. It's too bad because before that I thought she had a strong shot at the finale.

3. Julia Gargano

Julia.jpg

Julia wasn’t the most consistent contestant, but I liked her all the same. I’m a sucker for a good alto, and Julia definitely has one when she’s on her game. She also appears to be a bit of a dork, and I mean that in a positive way (her not remembering the name of her own song during the Hollywood Solo Round made me chuckle a bit).The main thing I noticed with her is when she has arrangements that force her to go too low. This was certainly the case with Human. Her New York State of Mind, while not as strong as Kimberley Locke’s or Erika Van Pelt’s, was still a very solid performance. I felt she had both the worst and best performances during Top 7 with Beauty and the Beast and Sweetest Devotion respectively. I wanted her to crack the Top 5; however, I knew she sabotaged her chances with Beauty and the Beast. Either way, she is another contestant I wouldn’t mind listening to should she release anything after Idol.

2. Samantha "Just Sam" Diaz

Just-Sam-min.jpg

Coming in at the penultimate position is the Season 18 winner. Sam was someone who had an intriguing story and lots of airtime prior to the voting rounds. I thought the show’s format would hinder her a bit; however, that clearly was not the case, at least when it came to the voting. She appeared to be someone who was at her best when feeding off of performing in front of an audience. Despite not having the ability to do so, she still was consistent and gave some solid performances, though I scratched my head at some of her song choices (I Believe and Stronger being the main two). If I had to pick a favorite, it would probably be Grandma’s Hands (RIP Bill Withers). It was certainly the most fitting. I was really happy to see her get the crown; I honestly thought it would be a long shot. I felt bad she had to celebrate her victory with no one around, but it's 100% understandable why she did so. At least she got to connect with her grandmother via an iPad. I’m really hoping something good happens for her, though the ABC version of Idol hasn’t done well by their winners thus far.

1. Jovin Webb

Jovin+Webb+2.jpg

Predict 90 Day Fiance The Other Way GIF by TLC

At least I'd like to think so. :giggle:

Yeah, people must think I’m crazy. :rofl:Jovin was my favorite contestant this season. I really liked his soul, raspy-rocker voice. He was someone I really wanted to see and hear more from. Unfortunately, he didn’t make the best song choice by picking With A Little Help From My Friends. That song is better suited for a bigger stage, not the home setting the show had. In addition, he struggled with the high notes. Despite that, I was hoping he would get another chance and was pleasantly he surprised he was voted through to the next round. His second performance of Voodoo was much better. It fit his range better, and he looked more comfortable with it. I would’ve liked to see him advance; however, it was a long shot he would. In spite of this, I still liked him a lot and is someone else who I would definitely check out should he make any music.

5. Olivia Ximines
4. Grace Leer
3. Julia Gargano
2. Samantha "Just Sam" Diaz
1. Jovin Webb

And just like that, Season 18 is in the books. Here's a quick recap of the rankings:

20. Nick Merico

19. Aliana Jester

18. Louis Knight

17. Faith Becnel

16. Arthur Gunn

15. Sophia Wackerman/James

14. Cyniah Elise

13. Francisco Martin

12. Dillon James

11. DeWayne Crocker, Jr.

10. Kimmy Gabriela

09. Franklin Boone

08. Lauren Spencer-Smith

07. Jonny West

06. Makayla Phillips

05. Olivia Ximines

04. Grace Leer

03. Julia Gargano

02. Samantha "Just Sam" Diaz

01. Jovin Webb

I'll go ahead and start on the other finalists tomorrow. I won't give clues for the first set; I might do so afterwards, though they would most likely be easy to guess.

As for Season 18, I would like to read some opinions. How would these contestants be ranked by others? Did this list make people throw their hands up in disgust and want nothing to do with this thread anymore? 😆 Feel free to express your thoughts.

46 minutes ago, 1234567890 said:

I barely stumbled upon this thread but fair rankings. Some disagreements but nothing major and my favorite hasn't shown up yet so yay!

Good to see! I wonder if this will change after the final rankings have been unveiled, however...

20. Nick Merico - The edit he got was pointless, and it just seemed like the show was being petty that he withdrew in S17. I hate Hey There Delilah (the song, that is), but I enjoyed his performance of it.

19. Aliana Jester - Who?

18. Louis Knight - My favourite of the season. :broken: I don't think the performances he gave in the "live" shows quite matched up to what he did in the earlier rounds, which is a bummer. He's a contestant I think would've benefited from having the show in LA.

17. Faith Becnel - I liked her performance of River.

16. Arthur Gunn - Ugh. He kept picking songs I loved and then butchering them. I'd probably put him in the Top 10 objectively since I didn't mind his Top 20 performance, but everything he did in the finals was terrible.

15. Sophia Wackerman/James - One of my favourites. My husband likes her more than I do, I probably would've put her in the Top 5.

14. Cyniah Elise - Whomst?

13. Francisco Martin - If this is a sign of your finalist ranking, we're going to disagree a lot. :rofl: Francisco was another one of my favourites this season. I think he probably benefitted the most from the show taking place remotely since it helped with his stage fright, but he turned in some of the best performances of the season, imo.

12. Dillon James - Shockingly, I'm not a fan of his. :giggle: I don't dislike him, but the tone of his voice was grating.

11. DeWayne Crocker, Jr. - This guy? 11th? Pass.

10. Kimmy Gabriela - Who?

09. Franklin Boone - He was alright. Didn't really care for his Top 20 performance.

08. Lauren Spencer-Smith - Definitely deserved a spot in the Top 11,  but I had a feeling she wasn't going to advance given her local support can't vote. I was a bit surprised, nonetheless, because I remember the show pointing out her big social media following.

07. Jonny West - I liked him a lot probably because of Margie, but the show channeling a The Voice elimination order made it hard to really invest in him.

06. Makayla Phillips - The most "robbed" contestant this season, imo. Greedy was an inspired song choice and she sang it very well. Her Miranda Lambert performance showed how strong her voice was, and will probably go down as my favourite performance of the season. She's a very close #2 to me behind Louis; some days, I'd even have her as my #1.

05. Olivia Ximines - I don't know her.

04. Grace Leer - I liked Cry and hated Over the Rainbow. I was glad to see the show cast her considering usually their cut-off for blonde females is 21.

03. Julia Gargano - Ugh. Easily my least favourite contestant of the season. I can't stand her voice, and I thought her performance of Human was absolutely abysmal. I did like New York State of Mind decently, but I don't think it's as great as it was made it out to be.

02. Samantha "Just Sam" Diaz - I love that the voters crowned a black lesbian with neck tattoos since it's the complete opposite of who they've backed the past two seasons, but some of her song choices were a mess (I Believe? Stronger? No ma'am.) so it kept me from liking her as much as I wanted to. At least she ended her run on a solid note with Rise Up.

01. Jovin Webb - I really liked Jovin, too. I think the format hindered him the most because he's a contestant who would've benefitted from an Idol stage and audience. But I'm a fan of classic rock and loved his vibe/the songs he chose.

Posted (edited)

20. Nick Merico - Yeah, hard agree

19. Aliana Jester - Agree, also, her voice was just a bit weak compared to the other Top 20.

18. Louis Knight - Lol yeah, Louis was meh since his audition imo. 

17. Faith Becnel - I liked Faith, but even I don't believe she merits much higher than #17. 

16. Arthur Gunn - Anywhere out side of IDF, this would spark a worldwide protest. Lucky we're in IDF.

15. Sophia Wackerman/James - Yeah, I think she really fizzled out after quarantine rounds started

14. Cyniah Elise - Way too arrogant. And I don't think it's just the edit. Checkout her vlog, and she's just as bad as Nick. 

13. Francisco Martin - Francisco is a bit too low for comfort

12. Dillon James - Yeah, Dillon was overrated.

11. DeWayne Crocker, Jr. - I think this is way to high for DeWayne lol. Maybe #18 or #17.

10. Kimmy Gabriela - No, you did Kimmy wrong 😧 Deserves to be Top 3.

09. Franklin Boone - Meh. He's fine here if a bit too high.

08. Lauren Spencer-Smith - A nice spot for Lauren.

07. Jonny West - A nice spot for Jonny.

06. Makayla Phillips - Makayla was a trainwreck lol, probably #15 would be better for her. After Hollywood she kinda sounded like she was struggling to breathe each time she sang. 

05. Olivia Ximines - Yes!! Nice spot for Olivia.

04. Grace Leer - Bit too high. Grace had like one standout performance which carried her through to the Top 10. Her quarantine performances were pitchy and all over the place.

03. Julia Gargano - Nice spot for Julia.

02. Samantha "Just Sam" Diaz - She deserves #1, but close enough.

01. Jovin Webb - No thank you lol, maybe #8 or #9.

(In my opinion)

Too high - Jovin, Grace, Makayla, DeWayne

Too low - Francisco, Kimmy

Just right/Close enough - Everybody else

Edited by redwood79

like always I don't agree with the ranking. guess my musical taste is just different.. I think you put some WAY too high on the list and they weren't even as good. 

20. Nick Merico - who!?

19. Aliana Jester - the one with the lamps and the motorcycle.. that is the only thing I remember.. 

18. Louis Knight - my least fav contestant. don't like his voice or his style. and how come no mentioned he was pitchy most of his performances!? 

17. Faith Becnel - who!?

16. Arthur Gunn - loved his originality and performances but his voice was starting to grate on me. should be a lot higher on the list at least top 10 for me. 

15. Sophia Wackerman/James - sometime after the showcase she became so irritating I was glad when she left. 

14. Cyniah Elise - who!?

13. Francisco Martin - sweet kid. nice voice. didn't care much for his song choices. too boring for me.

12. Dillon James - can you guess he is my fav this year? ;) should be a lot higher on the list, at least top 5.. loved his song choices, his voice and his original music.

11. DeWayne Crocker, Jr. - who!?

10. Kimmy Gabriela - her only good performance in the top 20 came too late to save her. until then she was who!? 

09. Franklin Boone - the one with the amazing BIG beautiful house. damn didn't feel too bad for him for leaving.. 

08. Lauren Spencer-Smith - one of the best performances in the top 20. should have made the top 10. 

07. Jonny West - hit and miss for me. too high on the list in my opinion. his original in the top 5 was appalling. in a way I prefer margie over him, at least she is entertaining. 

06. Makayla Phillips - she sounds and looks like 10,000 other female singers. nothing unique or original. also her song choices shows she still haven't developed a musical identity. 

05. Olivia Ximines - who!? and WHY is she so high!? 

04. Grace Leer - another one of my fav early on. but her appalling song choices doomed her. still think they should have let both her and lauren M. compete. it might have benefited her more.

03. Julia Gargano - too high on the list. she doesn't even belong in the top 10 in my opinion. don't like her originals AT ALL. she is very weak as a songwriter. still liked her performance on NY state of mind. her only good one.

02. Samantha "Just Sam" Diaz - another hit or miss. can't find anything special in her voice. her only good performance was in during the showcase. she never rose above it after. 

01. Jovin Webb - WAY too high on the list. he belongs in the lower part of the top 10 for me. liked him early on but after a while his voice started to grate on me. similar to arthur. still I appreciate the effort he did to built himself a stage in his garage to simulate a live show. it seemed that only he and Dillon really put an effort to create a background for their performances. 

Posted (edited)

I'm not gonna go contestant, by contestant. Just a few thoughts

Jovin - Yeah, didn't see that one coming,  HOWEVER … He's great on a big stage, and knows how to fill it, with his voice, talent & presence 

Franklin - I don't know … Just never caught my interest

DeWayne - Even though, his last song did him in. He is one of the contestants, that made me wonder what he would do next. Would have liked to see him go further

Arthur - Yes, he belongs in the Top 10. Yes, the songs all started to sound the same, but … something about his presence, drew people from all over the world to him

Olivia - She's a mighty performer. Her voice, isn't as strong as some of the others. She's pretty young, and hopefully can try out again, when she's a little older, and strengthens her vocals

Francisco/Sophia - They  deserve to be on the Top 10

Dillon - Dillon has a unique voice. I like him, as a person & performer, and songwriter. I could see him having a successful career in music

Grace - Yeah … Over The Rainbow, not a good choice, but I loved that even without an audience, she was able to connect, through the camera. I like her presence

Julia - My #1 favorite, for this season. Should have AT LEAST made Top 3., and glad to see her in your Top 3.  Her songwriting, is amazing. I've been listening to several of her videos, with original songs, and they are utterly fantastic. I love that her voice, can be like smooth as silk, and raw/gritty, as well. Also .. something really important in a performer, is presence. She has beauty & presence. So looking forward, to whatever new material, she puts out. I can see Julia having a career in music

Sam - Most definitely is deserving of the win. She won hearts. Still so very happy for her. Wishing her great success, in the music biz.

Edited by psterina

Wow, I wasn't expecting this many replies! After reading everything one thing is for certain: you can't please everybody. :haha: I'll try to respond to everyone; if I overlook you, feel free to whack me over the head with a mallet (not physically of course, lmao).

2 hours ago, Elliott said:

20. Nick Merico - The edit he got was pointless, and it just seemed like the show was being petty that he withdrew in S17. I hate Hey There Delilah (the song, that is), but I enjoyed his performance of it.

19. Aliana Jester - Who?

18. Louis Knight - My favourite of the season. :broken: I don't think the performances he gave in the "live" shows quite matched up to what he did in the earlier rounds, which is a bummer. He's a contestant I think would've benefited from having the show in LA.

17. Faith Becnel - I liked her performance of River.

16. Arthur Gunn - Ugh. He kept picking songs I loved and then butchering them. I'd probably put him in the Top 10 objectively since I didn't mind his Top 20 performance, but everything he did in the finals was terrible.

15. Sophia Wackerman/James - One of my favourites. My husband likes her more than I do, I probably would've put her in the Top 5.

14. Cyniah Elise - Whomst?

13. Francisco Martin - If this is a sign of your finalist ranking, we're going to disagree a lot. :rofl: Francisco was another one of my favourites this season. I think he probably benefitted the most from the show taking place remotely since it helped with his stage fright, but he turned in some of the best performances of the season, imo.

12. Dillon James - Shockingly, I'm not a fan of his. :giggle: I don't dislike him, but the tone of his voice was grating.

11. DeWayne Crocker, Jr. - This guy? 11th? Pass.

10. Kimmy Gabriela - Who?

09. Franklin Boone - He was alright. Didn't really care for his Top 20 performance.

08. Lauren Spencer-Smith - Definitely deserved a spot in the Top 11,  but I had a feeling she wasn't going to advance given her local support can't vote. I was a bit surprised, nonetheless, because I remember the show pointing out her big social media following.

07. Jonny West - I liked him a lot probably because of Margie, but the show channeling a The Voice elimination order made it hard to really invest in him.

06. Makayla Phillips - The most "robbed" contestant this season, imo. Greedy was an inspired song choice and she sang it very well. Her Miranda Lambert performance showed how strong her voice was, and will probably go down as my favourite performance of the season. She's a very close #2 to me behind Louis; some days, I'd even have her as my #1.

05. Olivia Ximines - I don't know her.

04. Grace Leer - I liked Cry and hated Over the Rainbow. I was glad to see the show cast her considering usually their cut-off for blonde females is 21.

03. Julia Gargano - Ugh. Easily my least favourite contestant of the season. I can't stand her voice, and I thought her performance of Human was absolutely abysmal. I did like New York State of Mind decently, but I don't think it's as great as it was made it out to be.

02. Samantha "Just Sam" Diaz - I love that the voters crowned a black lesbian with neck tattoos since it's the complete opposite of who they've backed the past two seasons, but some of her song choices were a mess (I Believe? Stronger? No ma'am.) so it kept me from liking her as much as I wanted to. At least she ended her run on a solid note with Rise Up.

01. Jovin Webb - I really liked Jovin, too. I think the format hindered him the most because he's a contestant who would've benefitted from an Idol stage and audience. But I'm a fan of classic rock and loved his vibe/the songs he chose.

20. You have a point about the show being petty (it wouldn't be the first time). As for Hey There, Delilah, I was just underwhelmed by it.

19. Exactly. :haha:

18. Sorry. :broken: He just didn't do anything for me.

17. So did I. I just don't think she did enough.

16. Yeah, he probably wouldn't be this low if I liked his voice better. Too bad.

15. Nice to see she's one of your favorites. Too bad I didn't like her more.

14. The arrogant one (BTW, I know this is sarcasm)

13. I'm sure there'll be a few contestants we agree on. Francisco was in no man's land for me; I don't dislike him, but I didn't love him either.

12. That's right, you're the WGWG stan. :lmao: I can see how grating his tone could be.

11. :(

10. This doesn't help with her trying not to be forgettable :haha:

09. Understandable

08. I thought she had a strong shot at the Top 11. That's a good point about her local support not being able to vote

07. Understandable

06. I don't believe anyone gets "robbed" per se, but I would've liked to see do better in terms of the voting.

05. :(

04. Agreed. I was happy to see her cast as well.

03. Too bad you don't like Julia. With that said, I can see how she could grate on people.

02. Fair enough. Crap, I didn't know she was a lesbian. So this would make her the first LBGTQ+ winner, right? Another reason for this season to go down in history.

01. Yay, someone else who likes Jovin! I agree a stage would've definitely helped him out.

1 hour ago, redwood79 said:

20. Nick Merico - Yeah, hard agree

19. Aliana Jester - Agree, also, her voice was just a bit weak compared to the other Top 20.

18. Louis Knight - Lol yeah, Louis was meh since his audition imo. 

17. Faith Becnel - I liked Faith, but even I don't believe she merits much higher than #17. 

16. Arthur Gunn - Anywhere out side of IDF, this would spark a worldwide protest. Lucky we're in IDF.

15. Sophia Wackerman/James - Yeah, I think she really fizzled out after quarantine rounds started

14. Cyniah Elise - Way too arrogant. And I don't think it's just the edit. Checkout her vlog, and she's just as bad as Nick. 

13. Francisco Martin - Francisco is a bit too low for comfort

12. Dillon James - Yeah, Dillon was overrated.

11. DeWayne Crocker, Jr. - I think this is way to high for DeWayne lol. Maybe #18 or #17.

10. Kimmy Gabriela - No, you did Kimmy wrong 😧 Deserves to be Top 3.

09. Franklin Boone - Meh. He's fine here if a bit too high.

08. Lauren Spencer-Smith - A nice spot for Lauren.

07. Jonny West - A nice spot for Jonny.

06. Makayla Phillips - Makayla was a trainwreck lol, probably #15 would be better for her. After Hollywood she kinda sounded like she was struggling to breathe each time she sang. 

05. Olivia Ximines - Yes!! Nice spot for Olivia.

04. Grace Leer - Bit too high. Grace had like one standout performance which carried her through to the Top 10. Her quarantine performances were pitchy and all over the place.

03. Julia Gargano - Nice spot for Julia.

02. Samantha "Just Sam" Diaz - She deserves #1, but close enough.

01. Jovin Webb - No thank you lol, maybe #8 or #9.

(In my opinion)

Too high - Jovin, Grace, Makayla, DeWayne

Too low - Francisco, Kimmy

Just right/Close enough - Everybody else

20. :thumbs:

19. Completely agree

18. Once again, total agreement

17. Fair enough

16. Great point. :haha: If his fanbase turns out to be anything similar to the Claymates or Glamberts, then I'll be officially worried. :haha:

15. She bugged me before then, but I don't disagree

14. If she is this bad, she probably would've had no chance in a normal season, let alone this one

13. Understandable

12. Can't say I disagree though he won me over somewhat later in the season

11. I knew this one would be controversial :haha:

10. Nice to see another Kimmy fan. I don't know about Top 3 though 😆

09. Understandable

08. :thumbs:

07. :thumbs:

06. Obviously I disagree, but I respect the opinion

05. Yes! Really nice to see another Olivia fan!

04. Maybe. Valid point about the pitch problems, but I liked her all the same

03. :thumbs:

02. She almost overtook Jovin for #1. I just happen to like Jovin's voice more

01. As with DeWayne, I knew this placement would raise some eyebrows. :rofl:No regrets whatsoever though.

Going to split this into two:

2 hours ago, blackfield said:

like always I don't agree with the ranking. guess my musical taste is just different.. I think you put some WAY too high on the list and they weren't even as good. 

20. Nick Merico - who!?

19. Aliana Jester - the one with the lamps and the motorcycle.. that is the only thing I remember.. 

18. Louis Knight - my least fav contestant. don't like his voice or his style. and how come no mentioned he was pitchy most of his performances!? 

17. Faith Becnel - who!?

16. Arthur Gunn - loved his originality and performances but his voice was starting to grate on me. should be a lot higher on the list at least top 10 for me. 

15. Sophia Wackerman/James - sometime after the showcase she became so irritating I was glad when she left. 

14. Cyniah Elise - who!?

13. Francisco Martin - sweet kid. nice voice. didn't care much for his song choices. too boring for me.

12. Dillon James - can you guess he is my fav this year? ;) should be a lot higher on the list, at least top 5.. loved his song choices, his voice and his original music.

11. DeWayne Crocker, Jr. - who!?

10. Kimmy Gabriela - her only good performance in the top 20 came too late to save her. until then she was who!? 

09. Franklin Boone - the one with the amazing BIG beautiful house. damn didn't feel too bad for him for leaving.. 

08. Lauren Spencer-Smith - one of the best performances in the top 20. should have made the top 10. 

07. Jonny West - hit and miss for me. too high on the list in my opinion. his original in the top 5 was appalling. in a way I prefer margie over him, at least she is entertaining. 

06. Makayla Phillips - she sounds and looks like 10,000 other female singers. nothing unique or original. also her song choices shows she still haven't developed a musical identity. 

05. Olivia Ximines - who!? and WHY is she so high!? 

04. Grace Leer - another one of my fav early on. but her appalling song choices doomed her. still think they should have let both her and lauren M. compete. it might have benefited her more.

03. Julia Gargano - too high on the list. she doesn't even belong in the top 10 in my opinion. don't like her originals AT ALL. she is very weak as a songwriter. still liked her performance on NY state of mind. her only good one.

02. Samantha "Just Sam" Diaz - another hit or miss. can't find anything special in her voice. her only good performance was in during the showcase. she never rose above it after. 

01. Jovin Webb - WAY too high on the list. he belongs in the lower part of the top 10 for me. liked him early on but after a while his voice started to grate on me. similar to arthur. still I appreciate the effort he did to built himself a stage in his garage to simulate a live show. it seemed that only he and Dillon really put an effort to create a background for their performances. 

20. istock_000023765401_small.jpg

19. I remember that setup. :rofl:Poor girl

18. Now I don't feel so bad after ranking him this low :haha:

17. istock_000023765401_small.jpg

16. Fair enough

15. :thumbs:

14. istock_000023765401_small.jpg

13. Can't say I disagree

12. I absolutely had no idea. :rofl:If his first half was a solid as his second half, he would've been higher

11. I would put the owl pic back up, but I like DeWayne, so...

10. Fair enough

09. :(

08. Can't really disagree here

07. I liked his original *shrugs*. Can see how he can be hit or miss for some

06. We'll agree to disagree

05. How. Dare. U. (j/k). Can see why people would think this way though

04. Valid point about her song choices. Definitely agree about having both her and Lauren M.

03. Needless to say Julia is a rather polarizing one :haha:

02. Can't say I agree, though I can see the point about her peaking in Hawaii. I like her all the same

01. Fair enough

2 hours ago, psterina said:

I'm not gonna go contestant, by contestant. Just a few thoughts

Jovin - Yeah, didn't see that one coming,  HOWEVER … He's great on a big stage, and knows how to fill it, with his voice, talent & presence 

Franklin - I don't know … Just never caught my interest

DeWayne - Even though, his last song did him in. He is one of the contestants, that made me wonder what he would do next. Would have liked to see him go further

Arthur - Yes, he belongs in the Top 10. Yes, the songs all started to sound the same, but … something about his presence, drew people from all over the world to him

Olivia - She's a mighty performer. Her voice, isn't as strong as some of the others. She's pretty young, and hopefully can try out again, when she's a little older, and strengthens her vocals

Francisco/Sophia - They  deserve to be on the Top 10

Dillon - Dillon has a unique voice. I like him, as a person & performer, and songwriter. I could see him having a successful career in music

Grace - Yeah … Over The Rainbow, not a good choice, but I loved that even without an audience, she was able to connect, through the camera. I like her presence

Julia - My #1 favorite, for this season. Should have AT LEAST made Top 3., and glad to see her in your Top 3.  Her songwriting, is amazing. I've been listening to several of her videos, with original songs, and they are utterly fantastic. I love that her voice, can be like smooth as silk, and raw/gritty, as well. Also .. something really important in a performer, is presence. She has beauty & presence. So looking forward, to whatever new material, she puts out. I can see Julia having a career in music

Sam - Most definitely is deserving of the win. She won hearts. Still so very happy for her. Wishing her great success, in the music biz.

Jovin: :thumbs:

Franklin: Fair enough

DeWayne: Completely agree

Arthur: Don't disagree. I just wish I liked his voice more

Olivia: Unfortunately, since she made the voting rounds, I don't think she's eligible to audition again. Agree about her being a strong performer.

Francisco/Sophia: Objectively, maybe. 

Dillon: Very valid points

Grace: Can't say I disagree

Julia: I'm happy to see she's your favorite. I will check out some of her material when I have time.

Sam: Definitely agree

Here’s my opinion about your rankings:

20. Nick Merico:  I’d have probably put him in last as well.  He was just outmatched.

19. Aliana Jester:  Sadly, you were right that Aliana wasn’t ready yet. I liked her more than Faith, though, but I’d still have put her near the back of the pack.

18. Louis Knight:  I’d actually have put him ahead of DeWayne, but by the time of the Hawaii Showcase, he was becoming outmatched.

17. Faith Becnel:  I’d have put her lower but at least she went out on a high note.

16. Arthur Gunn:  I liked his singing until he chose to really change up his audition, but the voting rounds were when his voice really began grating on me.

15. Sophia Wackerman/James:  I’d have put her in the Top 10, but she might indeed have been trying a little too hard.

14. Cyniah Elise:  Sadly, having a great voice isn’t enough if people think that you’re arrogant.

13. Francisco Martin:  I might have put him in the Top 10 but he certainly benefited from having to perform at home.

12. Dillon James:  He started off slow but gained steam towards the end.  Unfortunately for him, it was too little, too late.

11. DeWayne Crocker, Jr.:  Song choice is key, and DeWayne proved it with a horrible song choice in the first voting round.

10. Kimmy Gabriela:  I liked her but she didn’t stand out enough among the teenage divas.

09. Franklin Boone:  He was just too laidback as a performer.

08. Lauren Spencer-Smith:  She surprised me in the first voting round, and I’d have put her higher than Makayla.

07. Jonny West:  He was good but boring to me.

06. Makayla Phillips:  I wouldn’t have put her this high.

05. Olivia Ximines:  My second favorite but performing at home really hurt her chances.

04. Grace Leer:  A little too high but I still would put her in the Top 10.

03. Julia Gargano:  This is probably where I’d put her as well.

02. Samantha "Just Sam" Diaz:  I’d have put her in first, since I feel that she did the best of all the contestants despite some iffy song choices, and because she’s my favorite.

01. Jovin Webb:  This is the only ranking that I really disagree with you on.  He was very good but not that good!  More like tenth to sixth for me.

1 hour ago, CarmenSandiego said:

Here’s my opinion about your rankings:

20. Nick Merico:  I’d have probably put him in last as well.  He was just outmatched.

19. Aliana Jester:  Sadly, you were right that Aliana wasn’t ready yet. I liked her more than Faith, though, but I’d still have put her near the back of the pack.

18. Louis Knight:  I’d actually have put him ahead of DeWayne, but by the time of the Hawaii Showcase, he was becoming outmatched.

17. Faith Becnel:  I’d have put her lower but at least she went out on a high note.

16. Arthur Gunn:  I liked his singing until he chose to really change up his audition, but the voting rounds were when his voice really began grating on me.

15. Sophia Wackerman/James:  I’d have put her in the Top 10, but she might indeed have been trying a little too hard.

14. Cyniah Elise:  Sadly, having a great voice isn’t enough if people think that you’re arrogant.

13. Francisco Martin:  I might have put him in the Top 10 but he certainly benefited from having to perform at home.

12. Dillon James:  He started off slow but gained steam towards the end.  Unfortunately for him, it was too little, too late.

11. DeWayne Crocker, Jr.:  Song choice is key, and DeWayne proved it with a horrible song choice in the first voting round.

10. Kimmy Gabriela:  I liked her but she didn’t stand out enough among the teenage divas.

09. Franklin Boone:  He was just too laidback as a performer.

08. Lauren Spencer-Smith:  She surprised me in the first voting round, and I’d have put her higher than Makayla.

07. Jonny West:  He was good but boring to me.

06. Makayla Phillips:  I wouldn’t have put her this high.

05. Olivia Ximines:  My second favorite but performing at home really hurt her chances.

04. Grace Leer:  A little too high but I still would put her in the Top 10.

03. Julia Gargano:  This is probably where I’d put her as well.

02. Samantha "Just Sam" Diaz:  I’d have put her in first, since I feel that she did the best of all the contestants despite some iffy song choices, and because she’s my favorite.

01. Jovin Webb:  This is the only ranking that I really disagree with you on.  He was very good but not that good!  More like tenth to sixth for me.

20. Agreed. He wasn't up to the same level as the others

19. Fair enough

18. I never really cared for his voice and I liked DeWayne's more *shrugs*

17. Fair enough

16. No disagreement here

15. Fair enough

14. Completely agree. Being humble is better than being arrogant

13. Fair enough

12. Agreed

11. Absolutely agree

10. You may have a point

09. I can see how his laid back nature may not be as inspiring to some

08. She surprised me as well

07. Fair enough

06. Reading these responses makes me think she's not as popular around here as initially thought :haha:

05. Someone ranking her higher than me. :thumbs: Performing at home certainly did her very few favors

04. Fair enough

02. I know she was your favorite and I was this close to ranking her first

01. I don't expect many people to agree with me here. Nonetheless, I embrace my black sheepness 😆

Posted (edited)
On 5/25/2020 at 6:49 PM, Crisis said:

20. Agreed. He wasn't up to the same level as the others

19. Fair enough

18. I never really cared for his voice and I liked DeWayne's more *shrugs*

17. Fair enough

16. No disagreement here

15. Fair enough

14. Completely agree. Being humble is better than being arrogant

13. Fair enough

12. Agreed

11. Absolutely agree

10. You may have a point

09. I can see how his laid back nature may not be as inspiring to some

08. She surprised me as well

07. Fair enough

06. Reading these responses makes me think she's not as popular around here as initially thought :haha:

05. Someone ranking her higher than me. :thumbs: Performing at home certainly did her very few favors

04. Fair enough

02. I know she was your favorite and I was this close to ranking her first

01. I don't expect many people to agree with me here. Nonetheless, I embrace my black sheepness 😆

Hey, you have a right to your own opinion — even when I think it’s wrong, like your putting Jovin in first.  

I guess that having Just Sam in my avatar and my signature was a pretty clear sign that she was my favorite, eh?  :haha:

Edited by CarmenSandiego

3 minutes ago, CarmenSandiego said:

Hey, you have a right to your own opinion — even when I think it’s wrong, like your putting Jovin in first.  

I guess that having Just Sam in my avatar and my signature was a pretty clear sign that she was my favorite, eh?:haha:

I was joking around.  Based on other posts, you're not the only one to disagree with this placement. :haha:

Yes, Sam being your favorite was pretty obvious :haha:.

One thing I forgot to do after finishing my Season 18 write-up:

To put a wrap on Season 18, I'll list some hopefuls who I wouldn't mind seeing audition next season (besides Lauren Mascitti):

• Amber Fiedler
  • Jordan Jones
  • Ren Patrick (disappointed she was cut as early as she was)
  • Shannon Gibbons
  • Demi Rae
  • Perrin York
  • Wildcard: Robert Taylor, but only if he controls his urge to channel his inner Jacob Lusk

I'm just about ready to begin ranking the finalists from the other seasons. I've decided to exclude Aubrey Cleland and Charlie Askew from Season 12 and go with the other 198 finalists (for the record, if I were to include them Charlie would've been in my bottom 10 and Aubrey would've been somewhere in the 80-100 range).

The first set should hopefully be up soon.

Posted (edited)

Start GIF by memecandy

From 198-191, I'll put up four at a time, then I'll do five after until further notice (at least that's the plan).

198. Lazaro Arbos: Season 12 (6th Place)

MV5BMjUxNzIzNjY3MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTc5NjI5NDM@._V1_.jpg

As I was thinking about how I would list the finalists, I realized it’s a lot more difficult than initially thought. To be honest, I’m still thinking about where to place certain contestants. With that said, the two easiest placements were my all-time favorite finalist and my least favorite finalist. As seen here, Lazaro is in the latter category.

It wasn’t like that at first. I was intrigued by Lazaro because of his backstory. As someone who has overcome a stutter myself, I wanted to see what he could do. He started off well enough. His Feeling Good was decent and was good enough to advance to the finals. Everything after that, however, ranged from barely mediocre to atrocious, the worst offender being (They Long to Be) Close to You. The most memorable thing about that performance was Mariah rambling for about an eternity trying to think of something to say. 🤣 Of course, no Lazaro write-up would be complete without mentioning the I Can’t Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch) group trainwreck in which he completely dragged down Devin and Burnell and then proceeds to outlast both of them. I remember there was a thread where someone broke down the performance in great detail; too bad it's lost now because that was one of my favorite threads. :broken: Outside of his performances, there was a sense of entitlement coming from him, acting as if he should get special treatment because of his condition. With a combination of poor performances and bad attitude, it’s a no-brainer why Lazaro is my least favorite finalist ever.

197. Jim Verraros: Season 1 (9th Place)

MV5BNDk5Mjg5MDYxNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTczMjYyODE@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,1333,1000_AL_.jpg

The Season 1 male class is considered to be one of the weakest in AI history, and Jim may have been the weakest one of them all. This was first evident when he sang in the semifinals. He was in Group 1 where he had the unenviable task of following Tamyra Gray’s strong opening performance of And I Am Telling You I’m Not Going. Seeing him perform When I Fall In Love afterwards really showed how out of his depth he was. I remember the funny faces he made while trying to show emotion. In spite of this, he was voted through to the finals. While there, he gave what is considered to be one of the worst performances in AI history with Easy. He was eliminated the following night in a double elimination where he wasn’t even the lowest vote getter (that was EJay). All in all, Jim appeared to be a nice guy; he just wasn’t a very good contestant.

196. A.J. Gil: Season 1 (8th Place)

aj-gil-6.jpg

Might as well take the opportunity to eliminate another Season 1 male. For some, A.J. is considered to be a worse singer than Jim. To be honest, these two are interchangeable for me; however, I decided to place A.J. ahead. A.J. had this whiny, nasally voice I didn’t care for, plus he struggled to stay in key most of the time. I remember him reciting the Star-Spangled Banner at his audition which resulted in Randy giving him a standing ovation. His semifinal performance of All Or Nothing was weak, plus he laughed in the middle of it. As with Jim, he advanced to the finals in spite of this. He gave a passable performance of My Cherie Amour which earned him another week. He was eliminated the following week after an underwhelming performance of How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You). As with Jim, A.J. appeared to be a nice guy but was a very underwhelming singer.

195. Daniel Seavey: Season 14 (9th Place)

latest?cb=20190905221103

When I first saw Daniel, I thought Idol had lowered the minimum age limit again to allow 12-year-old children to audition. There was no way he looked 15. Anyway, Daniel is the poster child as to why lowering the minimum age limit to 15 was a bad idea. For starters, most of their voices haven’t fully developed at that age. This is especially true for boys, and Daniel epitomized this. He sounded as if he was still going through puberty during his run. His voiced cracked on every performance and it was hard to listen to. With that said, I don’t blame Daniel: unlike the Chicken Littles and Sanjayas he appeared to take the competition seriously and gave it his best. I don’t blame the voters: he was an option and they had their reasons to want to keep him around as long as possible. I’m putting this on the producers/judges for advancing him through each round in the first place knowing he was still green. He was the first victim of the Twitter Save, and I can’t say I disagree with the result. After Idol he joined the boy band Why Don’t We and may not have had some hits (I don’t know, I haven’t listened to any of their music). Overall, nice kid; just no where near ready for Idol.

198. Lazaro Arbos
197. Jim Verraros
196. A.J. Gil
195. Daniel Seavey

I've decided to do some clues for the next set. These will probably be easy to guess. In no particular order:

• A contestant from an early season who's first and last name has the same initials
  • An offspring of a somewhat famous singer
  • Funny off stage, dull on it
  • latest?cb=20180604052430
Edited by Crisis

Posted (edited)

Not surprising - heavy slants towards the belters, ballad queens.  While musicians. singer song writers (including 2 people of color that were ranked very high with voters) are relegated to bringing up the rear.

Edited by mytake1

Is there a season or two excluded? Because Idol is at 209 finalists. :haha: 

38 minutes ago, Elliott said:

nicki minaj wow GIF

Who is excluded?

12 hours ago, Crisis said:

An offspring of a somewhat famous singer

Brenda K. Starr's daughter. :dead:

20. Nick Merico - I was interested to see how he'd fare when I first learned that he was returning. With the edit he received, he stood no chance though. 

19. Aliana Jester - #UnpopularOpinion time, but I actually kinda loved Aliana's performance. I came in thinking she was pure fodder, but I lowkey wanted her in the top 10. Maybe she'll come back eventually? I wouldn't mind.

18. Louis Knight - Louis was definitely better before the live shows, but I still really liked him throughout the competition. Outside of CYFTLT, he was generally pretty decent :yes:

17. Faith Becnel - If she'd been giving us performances like River all season, she may have fared better, but her vibrato was a bit much.

16. Arthur Gunn - I wasn't nearly as crazy about Arthur as the judges or casuals were, but I didn't mind him generally. He's another one where the vibrato got to be too much for me at times. Otherwise, I like him, but his fanbase seems rather salty so not his fault, but that kinda knocks him a bit :P

15. Sophia Wackerman/James - I wanted to love Sophia so much more than I did. She had a couple performances that made me start to take notice, but her tone is an acquired taste and the shortened format really hurt her imo.

14. Cyniah Elise - I'm slightly bitter that she wasn't voted through, but her semifinal performance was just okay. I'd still advance her based on her previous auditions though. When Cyniah was good, she was GREAT lol.

13. Francisco Martin - Francisco is adorable. Definitely one of my favorites this year. I have a feeling he might've been swallowed up had we not done the show at home though.

12. Dillon James - Dillon was consistently one of the better performers, but I never was fully on board. I guess he's just not my cup of tea.

11. DeWayne Crocker, Jr. - lmao I loved his grandma. Unfortunately I don't have many memories of him singing though.

10. Kimmy Gabriela - I hope we see Kimmy come back. I agreed with some of the feedback she got about being unmemorable, but she was sooo good whenever she did sing.

09. Franklin Boone - Franklin was someone I was just lukewarm about the entire time. He definitely has a voice, but I was never invested.

08. Lauren Spencer-Smith - Ugh, I'm heated that Lauren didn't make it. She's someone who I'd definitely buy music from. Being a Canadian probably hurt her; hopefully any future Canadians fare better.

07. Jonny West - I came for Margie, but I stayed when I realize that I really loved his voice beyond that. I kinda dug his lowkey personality too.

06. Makayla Phillips - I knew it was a longshot, but I was hoping she'd slip into the final 7. :(

05. Olivia Ximines - I had such high hopes for Olivia 💔 She would've benefitted so much from the stage.

04. Grace Leer - If I remember correctly, several other American Juniors alumni have auditioned, but Grace is the only one to make the voting rounds. It's so funny to me how polarizing OTR was; I personally loved it. I would've loved to see more performances from Grace.

03. Julia Gargano - Julia was very hit or miss for me. I hated Human and BATB, and loved NYSOM and her Adele cover. It made it kind of infuriating to watch since I knew I could love her, but she was just inconsistent. I'm still excited to see what she does in the future though. 

02. Samantha "Just Sam" Diaz - I'm so happy she won even if some of her song choices were questionable :wub: 

01. Jovin Webb - Jovin was probably my favorite after the auditions, but he never quite reached that level of greatness for me again. His tone is glorious though!

I'm on my lunch break at work, so I won't be able to respond to everyone now. @hayden98, I'll try to get to yours tonight after I'm off.

6 hours ago, mytake1 said:

Not surprising - heavy slants towards the belters, ballad queens.  While musicians. singer song writers (including 2 people of color that were ranked very high with voters) are relegated to bringing up the rear.

6 of my Top 10 aren't belters/ballad queens (I don't consider Olivia and Sam to be belters) and my favorite contestant certainly isn't one. Half of my Top 10 are people of color, and two of the three singer-songwriters in the Top 10 were pretty popular with the voters, so I'd like to think it's balanced. My favorite contestant is not a conventional one judging by the reactions.

3 hours ago, Elliott said:

3 hours ago, 1234567890 said:

nicki minaj wow GIF

Who is excluded?

I mentioned earlier in the thread I wasn't going to include the Season 18 finalists because of the unique circumstances surrounding the season, hence why I ranked that season before doing the main one.

3 hours ago, 1234567890 said:

Brenda K. Starr's daughter. :dead:

Hmmm...🤔

3 minutes ago, Crisis said:

I mentioned earlier in the thread I wasn't going to include the Season 18 finalists because of the unique circumstances surrounding the season, hence why I ranked that season before doing the main one.

Oh right. :dead:

Posted (edited)

Internet was acting wonky. Move on to the next post.

Edited by Crisis