idolforums.com
Crisis

Crisis On Hand: An American Idol Finalists Ranking List

11 hours ago, Bk1234 said:

Good job @miss denise for getting all the clues right! 

Thanks! :teeheewave:❤️ 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Crisis said:

After some consideration, I've decided to go back to whiting out the clues. They've been added to the previous set if anyone's interested. As for the next set, I have some labs to do tonight, but I'll try to have it up. If not, it'll definitely be up tomorrow; it'll be an opportunity for anyone who wants to catch up since I've put up the previous 2-3 sets kind of fast. 😆

As for anyone who commented on the previous set, I'll respond this evening since I'm on a short lunch break today. :/

Oh yay, thanks! :hug:  I took a look. For now I feel pretty sure on one, but not the others. :haha: 

Here’s my comments about the rankings:

R.J. wasn’t a horrible contestant but he wasn’t the best singer by a longshot.  This was a pretty good ranking for him.

Joey was certainly unique, what with her accordion.  Unfortunately, there’s such a thing as being too unique, and she was that.

I remember Rickey’s “Hercules” bit.  He was good but not great.

I agree that the Twitter Save was dumb.  But I thought that the “Tweet Tweet” clue referred to Megan Joy, who sang “Rockin Robin”, not Rayvon!

Uche was also a unique contestant (for his season) who was more of an entertainer than a singer.  And he chose a poor song on Disney Night.  

095. Chikezie - I enjoyed I Believe to My Soul and his two Beatles performances. I would've liked to see 9 to 5 but he wasn't a big loss overall; was a very talented season. 

094. Nikki McKibbin - Well I liked her top 4 and top 3, but she shouldn''t have made ti that far in the first place. Many of her performances were whiny/karaoke to me. 

093. Tyanna Jones - She started out strong enough and like you I preferred her version of Tightrope to Majesty's, but she lost her way as the weeks went on as you said. 

092. James Durbin - I pretty much agree with your commentary and I'd have him lower. He didn't do good metal and he never sold me on a ballad like Adam and Siobhan did; WYSLMT and WMGGW both had screaming that I didn't like.

091. Jessica Sanchez - She had a good amount of performances I enjoyed; second favorite of the season behind Skylar. She was a little disapponting on top 3 and finale night, but I loved The Prayer. 

As promised:

20 hours ago, miss denise said:

Ah, that is a popular choice and another one of my favorites as well. :yes: I'm curious to see how your top favorites from that season rank. 

I had such good luck with Canadian Idol with my favorite winning most seasons. :haha: But there was great talent on both shows and a shame they ended so soon compared to in the U.S. I'm curious who you may have seen and liked on YouTube. The media used to be so much more readily available. :( I'll have to search and see if I can find any full episodes. I used to download them back during the seasons (on my super slow dial-up internet :dead:  )

Oh I see, sorry. :( I was curious, but sorry that it upset you. :blushingwave:  I loved both, so of course loved their friendship, as well. I'm glad Blake has grown on you. ❤️  He may have been.. I know he was happy for Jordin. :haha: 

I understand. Oh darn, I loved a lot of the dancing ones. :lmao:  That's a good pick and one of my favorites too! Okay, let's see here....  the other six I enjoyed best were Living for the City, You Send Me, In the Ghetto, Dancing in the Dark, You Are So Beautiful, Try a Little Tenderness.

Yay! I will say those clues took me a bit longer to figure out. :haha: And you probably do. :giggle: 

080. RJ Helton: One of my favorites and my favorite guy that season as well. I really like his voice and enjoyed probably all his performances. Ugh, the Simon stuff. I remember. :broken: 

079. Joey Cook: I was never a fan at all and the way you felt initially about her is the way I continue to feel. :( :haha: I do think I liked her rendition of Fancy, at least. 

078. Rickey Smith: I really like him and am sad to talk about him. :broken:  I love that you mentioned Disco night because him coming on stage with that afro was one of my favorite moments. :lmao: I really enjoyed his voice and ugh at another drunk driving incident. :( He's  gone too soon.

077. Rayvon Owen: He was one of my favorites of the season and actually second favorite. I was annoyed how often he landed in the bottom, but love that he was always saved. :giggle: I thought he was so underrated and had some great performances. I actually loved his version of SUBG. 

076. Uché: I really liked him a lot, although I can't remember where he ranks for me among the other contestants because, you know, it's a recent season and I forgot all about it. :giggle:  But really, I thought he was so entertaining and definitely underrated by the voters as well. :( Ugh. I would have liked to see him go much further too. He really brought something great to the show.

Aw darn, I thought the clues were so we could speculate (even if not out loud any more) what was coming up next. ❤️ But however you want to do it is, of course, fine. I will still attempt to guess when they show up. 😄 

Well, there are five from that season left and 75 spots remaining, we'll see where they end up.😉

Lucky you having your favorites winning in most seasons. :haha: The main two I've seen were Carly Rae Jepsen and Eva Avila, if only I heard so much about them and wanted to see for myself. Hopefully, you'll be able to find those episodes; I'll look for some myself. Yes, the days of dial-up with having to hear the dial tone and beeping sounds before connecting to the Internet; those were the days. :dead:

It's fine. :hug: I can see how people can enjoy their friendship. He certainly looked happy for Jordin, that's for sure. :haha:

Those performances of his were fine; the one I can say I was never a fan of was Try A Little Tenderness. As for In The Ghetto, the main thing that comes to mind is when Toni Braxton was grinding all over him and how uncomfortable he looked during the Finale...

I'm trying not to make the clues too difficult; however, it looks like they may be too easy. Oh well, as long as others are enjoying them. I won't say the name of the contestant in case that person hasn't appeared yet.

080. I pretty much agree, especially with him being the favorite male singer and the Simon stuff. :/

079. Well, she is a rather polarizing figure who isn't for everyone. :haha: At least you enjoyed one performance of hers. 👍

078. Tell me about it. 💔 I was HOWLING when he came out in that afro! 🤣 The driving impaired rant I wrote during Leah's write-up was actually going to be used for Rickey's; however, after learning the cause of the accident regarding Leah, I felt it was more appropriate there because that one was sadly self-inflicted. Rickey unfortunately was a victim of someone else's poor choice. Agree with the last sentence. 😢

077. Outside of the stretch of performances I mentioned, I enjoyed Rayvon for the most part. The Twitter Save nonsense really painted him in a negative light. With that said, he must've not been connecting with the voters too much if he kept finding himself in that position. 🤷‍♂️

076. Yeah, I felt he was entertaining and underrated as well. I would've loved to see what he would've had in store for Queen Night.

13 hours ago, Bk1234 said:

Good job @miss denise for getting all the clues right! 

My Opinions

No issues with this set! 😊👍

RJ Helton- No comment.

Joey Cook- She seemed very fun. However, the only things I really remember are her playing the accordion and Quentin’s outcry about her being in the bottom 2 (or something like that 😂). 

Rickey Smith- No comment. 

Rayvon Owen- Aah, the king has finally been ranked! 😂 I agree with pretty much everything you said. The Twitter saves (and the saves in general) were stupid... 😒

Uché- Uché is a contestant who I didn’t hate, but didn’t love either. I personally think he screwed himself over during Disney Night. He sang an irrelevant song (which for Disney Night could hurt), and it wasn’t a “wow” performance either. Being an ABC wildcard pick didn’t help the situation either... 🙁 

Good to see no issues with this set! 👍

Joey: She did appear to be fun. I started to enjoy her after getting over my annoyance with her. As for Quentin's role, I'll definitely have more to say about that when he appears.

Rayvon: Nice to see you agree with much of what I said. I especially concur with the last sentence.

Uché: As much as I don't like to admit it, this is pretty much spot on regarding Disney Night. I doubt it would've helped much, seeing he was a wildcard, but if either picked a different song or gave a better performance, he might have had a better chance of advancing.

1 hour ago, CarmenSandiego said:

Here’s my comments about the rankings:

R.J. wasn’t a horrible contestant but he wasn’t the best singer by a longshot.  This was a pretty good ranking for him.

Joey was certainly unique, what with her accordion.  Unfortunately, there’s such a thing as being too unique, and she was that.

I remember Rickey’s “Hercules” bit.  He was good but not great.

I agree that the Twitter Save was dumb.  But I thought that the “Tweet Tweet” clue referred to Megan Joy, who sang “Rockin Robin”, not Rayvon!

Uche was also a unique contestant (for his season) who was more of an entertainer than a singer.  And he chose a poor song on Disney Night.  

Fair enough about RJ, though I enjoyed him on the show.

Yeah, Joey certainly wasn't for everyone, that's for sure. :rofl:

Fair enough about Rickey.

Yeah, it was about Rayvon. Interesting thought about the clue though.

Pretty much agree regarding Uché.

39 minutes ago, ~Tom~ said:

095. Chikezie - I enjoyed I Believe to My Soul and his two Beatles performances. I would've liked to see 9 to 5 but he wasn't a big loss overall; was a very talented season. 

094. Nikki McKibbin - Well I liked her top 4 and top 3, but she shouldn''t have made ti that far in the first place. Many of her performances were whiny/karaoke to me. 

093. Tyanna Jones - She started out strong enough and like you I preferred her version of Tightrope to Majesty's, but she lost her way as the weeks went on as you said. 

092. James Durbin - I pretty much agree with your commentary and I'd have him lower. He didn't do good metal and he never sold me on a ballad like Adam and Siobhan did; WYSLMT and WMGGW both had screaming that I didn't like.

091. Jessica Sanchez - She had a good amount of performances I enjoyed; second favorite of the season behind Skylar. She was a little disapponting on top 3 and finale night, but I loved The Prayer. 

095. Pretty much agreed, except I preferred him to a couple of contestants at the time. I would've liked to see 9 to 5 as well.

094. If I were to be objective, I probably would've had her leave around Top 5. However, I had no issues with her staying after her Top 4 showing.

093. Nothing much to say here except agreed.

092. Fair enough about him. There were some performances I didn't enjoy his screaming on either.

091. As overrated as I think she is, she did have her fair share of good performances, so I can see how she can be one of the favorites of others.

I've decided to put the next set up tomorrow. It'll give more time to try to crack the clues or catch up and besides, I had a long day today and about ready to call it a night. 🌙

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Crisis said:

I've decided to put the next set up tomorrow. It'll give more time to try to crack the clues or catch up and besides, I had a long day today and about ready to call it a night. 🌙

That’s fine, I think I have an idea as to who some of the clues might point to... 🤔

Going back to Jessica Sanchez (uh oh, I just caused a volcano to erupt... 😅), I think what really made me gravitate more to Hollie (though I liked both 😊👍) was the fact that the show shoved Jessica down our throats. The judges’ plea to voters to vote and Jimmy Iovine’s constant comparison between Jessica and Hollie (where he sided with Jessica) came across as annoying. I also personally preferred Hollie’s stylistic choices in terms of her voice. I felt that Jessica would overuse her vibrato at times, but that’s probably just me... 🤔

2 hours ago, Bk1234 said:

Going back to Jessica Sanchez (uh oh, I just caused a volcano to erupt... 😅), I think what really made me gravitate more to Hollie (though I liked both 😊👍) was the fact that the show shoved Jessica down our throats. The judges’ plea to voters to vote and Jimmy Iovine’s constant comparison between Jessica and Hollie (where he sided with Jessica) came across as annoying. I also personally preferred Hollie’s stylistic choices in terms of her voice. I felt that Jessica would overuse her vibrato at times, but that’s probably just me... 🤔

Not much to say except I pretty much agree with this sentiment. :yes:

Though I'm tired, my next post will have the new set barring anything happening.

I changed one of the clues because I realize it would be a dead giveaway for one of the finalists. With that said, here are he clues for 75-71:

- Third time wasn't the charm
- A hit from The Village People
- The first of the Fab Five appears
- Couldn't keep up a strong start
- It's more than a feeling for this finalist to have a peace of mind when performing

75. Amber Holcomb: Season 12 (4th Place)

MV5BNzkxNjM3Mzk3MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMDY3NTI5NDM@._V1_.jpg

To lead off this set, we're going to go back to S12. Admittedly, Amber wasn’t someone who I paid much attention to during her season and because of this, I couldn’t recall anything she did outside of a couple of performances. The main thing I remember about her was Nicki championing something fierce for her. Thus, I had to re-watch her run to see where I could place her. While she’s still my least favorite of the women from that season, I’ve come to like her quite a bit and think she’s actually quite underrated. I think my opinion of her was tainted because I was disappointed Aubrey Cleland didn’t make the Top 10 (though Aubrey did manage to snag a tour spot, so good for her) and she did. While Amber certainly had her bad share of performances – Without You, MacArthur Park (which is just a terrible song in general), and Just Give Me A Reason come to mind – she had some strong ones as well. The one that surprised me was A Moment Like This, and it’s one of the few performances of hers I remembered at the time. When I first learned she was going to sing this, I expected it to be very underwhelming if not a train wreck. However, Amber did a really good job with it and was one of the few contestants to do justice to a Kelly Clarkson song at the time. Some other performances I liked were My Funny Valentine (the first time she did it at least), Lately, and What Are You Doing For The Rest Of Your Life. She eventually made it to fourth place, which is no shame because it was pretty apparent the Top 3 were going to be Candice, Kree, and Angie. The main thing I remember about her post-Idol was her singing Here, There, And Everywhere with Ruben during the S15 Finale acoustic set, although I thought she was Vonzell at first. 😂 For someone who I didn’t remember much of, Amber has managed to make as much as an impact on me to rank her here.

74. Anwar Robinson: Season 4 (7th Place)

7dca46cc5627bfe4fe56f0269ef10b16.jpg

Up next is Anwar Robinson. I tried to find a decent picture of him without his dreads because I know he no longer has them, but I gave up and went with whatever I could get. 🤷‍♂️ Anwar is considered to be the most technically proficient vocalist in S4 in many circles. There were two knocks on him, however. One was he often started his songs low so he could build up to the glory note(s) toward the end. The other was he struggled on anything up-tempo. His only good up-tempo performance was What’s Going On. Nonetheless, Anwar had a very strong start in the competition with three very strong performances in the semifinals with Moon River, the aforementioned What’s Going On, and What A Wonderful World, with WAWW being my personal favorite. However, once the finals came around, Anwar seemed to lose whatever magic he had, and the quality of his performances declined. Maybe he’s better on small stages than big ones. His first finals performance of A House Is Not A Home was fine enough; it was probably his best showing in the finals. It was the following week when he sang Ain’t Nobody that the decline was more obvious. It was his worst up to that point. However, it didn’t compare to what would come next, which is when he sang the horrid I Believe I Can Fly. He was the first offender to sing that song on Idol, and his version may have been the worst (wait, I just remembered Jacob Lusk’s version 🥶; OK, Anwar’s was the second worst 😂). His remaining performances weren’t much better, and he was eventually eliminated in seventh place after a lackluster performance of September. Regardless, I still liked Anwar enough to rank him here despite what happened to him.

73. Siobhan Magnus: Season 9 (6th Place)

568f64b436914aebadc8754568ffdca0.jpg

Time to go back to S9 with this next finalist. Siobhan was this quirky girl, from her personality to her fashion style, who had an incredible range. She was able to hit some notes I didn’t think were humanly possible. She was someone whose first half I enjoyed much more than her second half. I remember enjoying all three of her semifinal performances, my favorite being Think, especially when she hit that big note at the end. She started off well enough in the finals with her first two performances Paint It Black and Superstition, with the former being my personal favorite of hers. It was the perfect combination of vocals and dramatics. After that, however, I don’t know what it was, but I didn’t really enjoy Siobhan all that much. Through The Fire was probably her worst effort. She started too low and then was all over the place vocally for the rest of the song. The only performance I can say I enjoyed after that was Across The Universe in which, with the exception of one note, was her most subtle and restrained performance. It was certainly different from the vocal gymnastics she usually did. Everything else didn’t really do much for me. Siobhan was eventually eliminated after her performance of Any Man Of Mine. I believe her elimination was considered to be a shock at the time, I can’t remember. I also remember hearing the week after her elimination Idol had its lowest ratings since the first season. I don’t know much about what she did post-Idol, though I’m pretty sure @psterina will be more than happy to fill me in. ;) Regardless, despite not enjoying her as much as I did earlier in the season, Siobhan is still one of my favorite S9 contestants.

72. Matt Giraud: Season 8 (5th Place)

96314404.jpg?w=980&q=75

It's time for S8 to be represented again with Matt Giraud. Matt was someone who I was interested in when S8 began. I thought he had a nice voice and style, and I was looking forward to seeing what he would do come time for the voting rounds. Unfortunately, he got off to a really rough start with Viva La Vida. The vibrato was way out of control; it was right up there with some of Carmen’s worst performances. It was obvious he was nervous during the performance. Some say this is the performance that set the course for S8 because it was thought that Matt bombing helped paved the way for Kris Allen to get voted through and eventually win the season. As for Matt, he was invited back to perform in the WC round where he sang Who’s Loving You. It was a much better effort than Viva La Vida, though I thought he came off a bit desperate and overdid it with the runs (I’m sure Randy loved them, however 😒). Unsurprisingly, he was picked and made it to the finals where he was solid albeit a bit inconsistent. His highlights included Human Nature, Let’s Get It On, and Part-Time Lover. My favorite of his, however, was So Small. I thought he really did justice to the song, though his comments in the pre-performance video in which he said he wanted to make the song more emotional and heartfelt made me roll my eyes a bit, as if the song wasn’t those things already. :rolleyes: However, he had a few duds as well which included You Found Me, Have You Ever Really Loved A Woman, and Stayin’ Alive. Regarding HYERLAW, he was initially eliminated after it; however, he was the recipient of the first ever judges’ save (S8 was the first to employ it). He managed to hang on for two more weeks before bowing out in fifth place. One thing about Matt is I remember Kara really championing him, to the point it seemed as if she had a crush on him (she would take this to the next level the following season with Casey James 😆). Finally, speaking of the following season, I remember he and Scott MacIntyre performed Tell Her About It during one of S9 Semifinal Results Shows. Apparently, the two performed this number during the S8 tour. While not the most consistent contestant, Matt was someone I enjoyed on Idol.

71. Phil Stacey: Season 6 (6th Place)

phil-stacey_sc_768x1024.png

Closing out the set is the last S6 male to appear in this ranking, making it the third season for this to happen. :haha: As mentioned, Phil is the last of the S6 males to appear in this ranking, making him my favorite of the bunch. I do think Phil is one of the more underrated contestants on Idol. In a season where the female contestants were considered to be the superior group, Phil was the only guy who could hold a candle to any of them vocally. The best part of his voice was his huge upper register. Whenever he went there, he was capable of great things. The problem was as great as his upper register was, his lower register was as equally horrendous. He would often get himself into trouble, especially early in the competition, because he started his performances too low and had to belt them out in the end to save them. The best example of this was his Top 16 performance I Need You. Unfortunately, there was nothing he could do to save that one. It was so bad I thought he hurt his chances of reaching the finals. Obviously that wasn’t the case as he managed to get voted through. Other poor performances included Night And Day and Maria, Maria; the former was slow and boring, the latter was boring and had a noticeable voice crack, though not as bad as Brandon’s in You Can’t Hurry Love. He managed to survive both of those performances and proceeded to go on a tear afterwards. His next three performances, When The Blacktop Ends, The Change, and especially Blaze Of Glory, were among his best of the season. In addition, I also enjoyed I’m Gonna Make You Love Me and Every Breath You Take. Phil was eliminated after Blaze Of Glory, a fitting song and performance to go out on, in a double elimination along with Chris Richardson due to no one being eliminated the previous week because of Idol Gives Back. It was probably inevitable because he had the weakest fan base among the Top 6, seeing that he was in the B3 multiple times prior, though I thought he might've had a chance had LaKisha not had a strong comeback after a few down weeks. I know he released a few albums post-Idol, one was country and the others were I believe CCM, but I haven’t heard any of his music. Phil was someone who traveled a bumpy road on Idol but managed to ride a smooth one towards the end.

75. Amber Holcomb

74. Anwar Robinson

73. Siobhan Magnus

72. Matt Giraud

71. Phil Stacey

Alright, the current set is up. Here's what to expect for the next set:

- A shocking debate

- It is certainly something within this finalist

- "I gotta pee!"

- Responsible for one of the biggest memes from Idol

- Had a few strikes and gutter balls

OMG the clues are getting so difficult for me, but I think I finally cracked these. Maybe. :haha: 

- Third time wasn't the charm:  Matt because he was essentially eliminated three times
- A hit from The Village People:  I end up with Phil here by default and couldn't figure out why... but it's In the Navy! Phil was in the navy.  This took me forever to realize. :dead: 
- The first of the Fab Five appears: Amber for being the first of the five S12 girls to appear?
- Couldn't keep up a strong start: Anwar since he had a string of strong performances in the beginning
- It's more than a feeling for this finalist to have a peace of mind when performing:  Okay, I knew it was Siobhan from the previous clue and this one had me all confused. BUT I GOT IT NOW. You are referring to two songs from the band Boston, which is where she auditioned! You are sooo tricky with this. :dead:  

• Thanks 1

On 7/6/2020 at 8:42 PM, Crisis said:

Well, there are five from that season left and 75 spots remaining, we'll see where they end up.😉

Lucky you having your favorites winning in most seasons. :haha: The main two I've seen were Carly Rae Jepsen and Eva Avila, if only I heard so much about them and wanted to see for myself. Hopefully, you'll be able to find those episodes; I'll look for some myself. Yes, the days of dial-up with having to hear the dial tone and beeping sounds before connecting to the Internet; those were the days. :dead:

Those performances of his were fine; the one I can say I was never a fan of was Try A Little Tenderness. As for In The Ghetto, the main thing that comes to mind is when Toni Braxton was grinding all over him and how uncomfortable he looked during the Finale...

I'm trying not to make the clues too difficult; however, it looks like they may be too easy. Oh well, as long as others are enjoying them. I won't say the name of the contestant in case that person hasn't appeared yet.

078. Tell me about it. 💔 I was HOWLING when he came out in that afro! 🤣 The driving impaired rant I wrote during Leah's write-up was actually going to be used for Rickey's; however, after learning the cause of the accident regarding Leah, I felt it was more appropriate there because that one was sadly self-inflicted. Rickey unfortunately was a victim of someone else's poor choice. Agree with the last sentence. 😢

I have a random prediction of how you might rank them, but we'll see. :giggle: 

Thank you. :teeheebounce: Ah yeah, not surprised you heard about Carly! Her and Eva were both my favorites of their seasons. 😄 I hope you liked the performances you saw. I did some digging and am very disappointed with the lack of episodes I'm able to find so far... :/ I may still have full episodes saved on discs somewhere that I can someday find and maybe upload myself. :haha:  I'll share some links I've found though, if you are interested: 

You can ignore all this if you want. :haha: If nothing else, I can reference this post again for myself. I hope I can find more to share though! And LOL totally about dial-up. :giggle: 

Aw okay. :( Well oh. :lmao:  I did not remember that at all and am only think about the first performance of it.

I don't think they're too easy, but it is easier once the contestants are posted to match them up. I am mostly stumped before that. :lmao: Although now I can add in here that the latest set was difficult for me even after seeing the five contestants they went to. Good brain exercises. :haha: 

😢 :hug: LOL the afro comment. :wub: I love that we feel the same about that. Ugh yeah, I get what you mean and why you moved it to her write-up. :( Awful that it was involved in taking both of their lives. It just breaks my heart, especially knowing it could have been prevented.

75. Amber Holcomb: She has a good voice, but I never cared for her. :( 

74. Anwar Robinson: Your picture comment. :haha: He's among my favorite group of the season (he was kind of interchangeable with Jessica for me). I agree his showing in the semi-finals was amazing and so strong... it's a shame he went downhill after that. :( I always enjoyed his voice.

73. Siobhan Magnus: I'm not crazy about her, but I did enjoy some of her performances. She definitely has quite a vocal range. :haha: 

72. Matt Giraud: One of my favorites. :wub: Gah, his first semis performance was so disappointing, but I'm so glad he picked it back up in the WC round and advanced through. I just love his voice and his studio recordings were some of my favorites! I agree on your favorite performances of his, although I really liked some of the ones you named as duds too. :ph34rwave:

71. Phil Stacey: I really liked him a lot and considered him a secondary favorite. I agree his upper range was fantastic and yikes to the comments on his lower register. :dead: I sure remember that specific performance you mentioned. Aw, I really liked Maria Maria from him, even with the voice crack. Ooh and I remember him having some great studio recordings as well. But yeah, he hit his stride in his final few weeks and it's a shame he didn't get to continue on. 

The clues took me quite awhile to put together, but I finally got something that makes sense, so we'll see. :haha:  Now analyzing the ones for the next set and have two guesses so far. Hmm.

75. Amber Holcomb - I didn't like her much during her season. However, I saw the group on tour and it made me appreciate her talent.

74. Anwar Robinson - LOVED. Partly because he's from NJ like me and we didn't get a ton of representation in the finals but also because he was SO GOOD at the beginning. I hated when he was eliminated but it made sense.

73. Siobhan Magnus - She did too much for me.

72. Matt Giraud - I don't remember exactly where he stood for me during his season but I do remember really enjoying his voice. I think he's quite talented.

71. Phil Stacey - So talented. His upper register is amazing. And he's such a nice guy... I met him backstage during one of the shows and, besides Jordin, he's one who stands out for me.

8 hours ago, Crisis said:

75. Amber Holcomb

74. Anwar Robinson

73. Siobhan Magnus

72. Matt Giraud

71. Phil Stacey

Good job to @miss denise for getting the clues right two sets in a row! 👍

My Opinions

Amber Holcomb- I was pleasantly surprised to see that this clue didn’t refer to Janelle Arthur. 😅 To me, Amber was never consistent enough with her performances to ever reach the league of Candice, Kree, and Angie. I was also really annoyed by Nicki’s constant championing... 😒 This was especially present when Janelle Arthur was singing for the save... To me it seemed like Janelle was a great choice for the save. However, the vote wasn’t unanimous, and I think we learned later that Mariah and Keith voted to save her. I personally think that Nicki didn’t vote to save Janelle because she didn’t want her to outlast Amber. (Also, can we acknowledge that Amber deserved to be in the bottom 2 AGAIN that week, and not Kree... 😒) I liked Amber, however, I agree in the sense that she is my least favorite S12 girl. 👍

Anwar Robinson- No comment. 

Siobhan Magnus- Didn’t really mind her until she got too crazy... She was never a favorite of mine though, so I didn’t care... 😅

Matt Giraud- Aah, so this is the season where the save was introduced... 😒

Phil Stacey- No comment. 

9 hours ago, miss denise said:

OMG the clues are getting so difficult for me, but I think I finally cracked these. Maybe. :haha: 

- Third time wasn't the charm:  Matt because he was essentially eliminated three times
- A hit from The Village People:  I end up with Phil here by default and couldn't figure out why... but it's In the Navy! Phil was in the navy.  This took me forever to realize. :dead: 
- The first of the Fab Five appears: Amber for being the first of the five S12 girls to appear?
- Couldn't keep up a strong start: Anwar since he had a string of strong performances in the beginning
- It's more than a feeling for this finalist to have a peace of mind when performing:  Okay, I knew it was Siobhan from the previous clue and this one had me all confused. BUT I GOT IT NOW. You are referring to two songs from the band Boston, which is where she auditioned! You are sooo tricky with this. :dead:  

Not much time to comment, but 5/5 again! Also, for Siobhan, she has an uncle who is currently the bassist for Boston, which was the inspiration for the clue.

I'll reply to the other comments when I have the time. :thumbs:

11 hours ago, miss denise said:

She also went on tour with Boston for a while, too. :haha: 

I’d actually have ranked Matt Giraud below Amber, Anwar and Siobhan.  Also, I preferred Amber to Janelle, but the rankings are otherwise pretty good.

I'll try to get to everyone. Those who I can't reply to now I'll do this evening.

14 hours ago, miss denise said:

I have a random prediction of how you might rank them, but we'll see. :giggle: 

Thank you. :teeheebounce: Ah yeah, not surprised you heard about Carly! Her and Eva were both my favorites of their seasons. 😄 I hope you liked the performances you saw. I did some digging and am very disappointed with the lack of episodes I'm able to find so far... :/ I may still have full episodes saved on discs somewhere that I can someday find and maybe upload myself. :haha:  I'll share some links I've found though, if you are interested: 

You can ignore all this if you want. :haha: If nothing else, I can reference this post again for myself. I hope I can find more to share though! And LOL totally about dial-up. :giggle: 

Aw okay. :( Well oh. :lmao:  I did not remember that at all and am only think about the first performance of it.

I don't think they're too easy, but it is easier once the contestants are posted to match them up. I am mostly stumped before that. :lmao: Although now I can add in here that the latest set was difficult for me even after seeing the five contestants they went to. Good brain exercises. :haha: 

😢 :hug: LOL the afro comment. :wub: I love that we feel the same about that. Ugh yeah, I get what you mean and why you moved it to her write-up. :( Awful that it was involved in taking both of their lives. It just breaks my heart, especially knowing it could have been prevented.

75. Amber Holcomb: She has a good voice, but I never cared for her. :( 

74. Anwar Robinson: Your picture comment. :haha: He's among my favorite group of the season (he was kind of interchangeable with Jessica for me). I agree his showing in the semi-finals was amazing and so strong... it's a shame he went downhill after that. :( I always enjoyed his voice.

73. Siobhan Magnus: I'm not crazy about her, but I did enjoy some of her performances. She definitely has quite a vocal range. :haha: 

72. Matt Giraud: One of my favorites. :wub: Gah, his first semis performance was so disappointing, but I'm so glad he picked it back up in the WC round and advanced through. I just love his voice and his studio recordings were some of my favorites! I agree on your favorite performances of his, although I really liked some of the ones you named as duds too. :ph34rwave:

71. Phil Stacey: I really liked him a lot and considered him a secondary favorite. I agree his upper range was fantastic and yikes to the comments on his lower register. :dead: I sure remember that specific performance you mentioned. Aw, I really liked Maria Maria from him, even with the voice crack. Ooh and I remember him having some great studio recordings as well. But yeah, he hit his stride in his final few weeks and it's a shame he didn't get to continue on. 

The clues took me quite awhile to put together, but I finally got something that makes sense, so we'll see. :haha:  Now analyzing the ones for the next set and have two guesses so far. Hmm.

I'm interested to see if your predictions are correct when the time comes. 🤭

I do remember liking them at the time, though my memories of them are vague. Yeah, it's difficult to find some of the older stuff; I've done some digging myself. Thanks for the links; I'll most likely check them out once this list is finished.If you find any more by all means share them. :yes:

Sorry. :( I remember it; I thought each of the Top 3 duets that season were ruined by the celebrity partners. :/

Good to see they're not too easy. The main thing is I wanted to make them was fun, in which it looks like it's succeeding in. My one regret is that I didn't think of this sooner. :haha:

It does look like we feel the same about that. :haha: At least there's one fond memory he left behind. :broken: As I mentioned in her write-up, it's something I feel strongly about and could never understand. :no:

75. Fair enough. That's how I felt about her prior to my re-watch.

74. Yeah, all of the decent ones without his dreads were either too small or had watermarks on them. :/ I pretty much agree with everything written regarding him.

73. Fair enough. She does have quite the vocal range indeed. :haha:

72. Pretty much agree for the most part. His studio recordings was the one thing I forgot to mention in his write-up. They were among some of the best from that season. I guess we'll agree to disagree on his duds. :ph34rwave::haha:

71. Pretty much agree regarding him. His lower register was really hard to listen to, though to be fair it appeared to be getting better as the season went; either that or he learned to avoid it for the most part.

We'll see how you do with the next set... :teeheewave:

8 hours ago, x3 because of u said:

75. Amber Holcomb - I didn't like her much during her season. However, I saw the group on tour and it made me appreciate her talent.

74. Anwar Robinson - LOVED. Partly because he's from NJ like me and we didn't get a ton of representation in the finals but also because he was SO GOOD at the beginning. I hated when he was eliminated but it made sense.

73. Siobhan Magnus - She did too much for me.

72. Matt Giraud - I don't remember exactly where he stood for me during his season but I do remember really enjoying his voice. I think he's quite talented.

71. Phil Stacey - So talented. His upper register is amazing. And he's such a nice guy... I met him backstage during one of the shows and, besides Jordin, he's one who stands out for me.

Glad to see you back!

75. I pretty much felt the same way during her season. Good to see her talent being more appreciated after seeing her on tour.

74. He did appear to represent NJ well (unlike a certain semi-finalist, talk about hitting rock bottom 🥶). Though there were a few contestants I would've liked to have seen eliminated before him, I couldn't really argue against it.

73. Understandable. She could be too much for some people.

72. Pretty much agreed

71. Pretty much agree. Good to see he was so nice during the show. I've heard and read some stories about how nice he was during the tour. 👍

7 hours ago, Bk1234 said:

Good job to @miss denise for getting the clues right two sets in a row! 👍

My Opinions

Amber Holcomb- I was pleasantly surprised to see that this clue didn’t refer to Janelle Arthur. 😅 To me, Amber was never consistent enough with her performances to ever reach the league of Candice, Kree, and Angie. I was also really annoyed by Nicki’s constant championing... 😒 This was especially present when Janelle Arthur was singing for the save... To me it seemed like Janelle was a great choice for the save. However, the vote wasn’t unanimous, and I think we learned later that Mariah and Keith voted to save her. I personally think that Nicki didn’t vote to save Janelle because she didn’t want her to outlast Amber. (Also, can we acknowledge that Amber deserved to be in the bottom 2 AGAIN that week, and not Kree... 😒) I liked Amber, however, I agree in the sense that she is my least favorite S12 girl. 👍

Anwar Robinson- No comment. 

Siobhan Magnus- Didn’t really mind her until she got too crazy... She was never a favorite of mine though, so I didn’t care... 😅

Matt Giraud- Aah, so this is the season where the save was introduced... 😒

Phil Stacey- No comment. 

Looks like you have some competition now! 😅

Amber: I pretty much agree, especially regarding the save. Seeing that no one was eliminated the following week. the save was practically used anyway though not officially. Nicki did say she wouldn't vote to save anyone since Curtis wasn't saved, so it really didn't surprise me.

Siobhan: I could see how people would feel that way about her. :haha:

Matt: Yes, this is the season the dreaded save was introduced... :/

3 hours ago, Elliott said:

She also went on tour with Boston for a while, too. :haha: 

Yeah that too. :haha: 

59 minutes ago, CarmenSandiego said:

I’d actually have ranked Matt Giraud below Amber, Anwar and Siobhan.  Also, I preferred Amber to Janelle, but the rankings are otherwise pretty good.

Fair enough.

It looks like I was able to get to everyone after all! :haha: I haven't started the write-ups for the next set yet, so they definitely won't be up tonight. I'll TRY to have them tomorrow if I'm not too busy or tired (please don't hold me to that 🥺 :haha:).

On 7/4/2020 at 9:07 PM, Crisis said:

I take it he was your #1 until Lee arrived. :haha:

Actually, no. David Cook overtook him the next year. :haha:

080. RJ Helton - Best guy from S1, imo. I would've put him in the Top 4 over Justin, but I didn't have any qualms about him leaving when he did all things considered.

079. Joey Cook - I didn't really care for her initially and agreed that she seemed like a joke act, but I was pleasantly surprised in the live shows. I actually liked her Top 24 performance, though I agree that she didn't really begin to shine until the finals. I also liked GJWTHF as a guilty pleasure, though I can see why people didn't. I wish her (and Quentin) had lasted longer, and was disgusted when Rayvon got the Twitter save over them.

078. Rickey Smith - One of the brighter spots of S2 for me.

077. Rayvon Owen - Ugh. One of my least favourite contestants and it's solely because of how he wouldn't just gtfo. He only really had two performances I enjoyed, and I thought most of them were an abysmal mess. I was fine with him staying over Daniel, but in every other Twitter save, I preferred (and voted) for Qassim, Joey and Quentin to stay.

076. Uché - One of my favourites from S17! I loved his personality and he was one of the only ones who actually knew how to make use of a stage. I was saddened to see him eliminated as early as he was.

75. Amber Holcomb - I never really got the judges' obsession with her. I take it was because she (and Angie) looked the most like a pop star (translation: they were the skinniest), but her voice left a lot to be desired and I think she was leagues behind Candice, Kree and Angie as a contestant. If it were up to me, I probably would've cut her after her Beatles performance, but considering the lack of viable contenders that season, I wasn't offended by her making it to fourth. :haha: She was also very lovely in person when I met her at the Idol tour.

74. Anwar Robinson - I don't really have any strong feelings about him, so I'd probably rank him here, too.

73. Siobhan Magnus - I pretty agree with everything you said, and Siobhan's one of the contestants I went back and forth with a lot during the season. She was my second favourite behind Lee coming into the live shows, and I loved all of her semi-finals performances. Paint It Black is my favourite from her and one of my favourites from the season overall, but I absolutely hated Superstition and thought it was one of the worst performances of the evening. (I think in my personal ranking, I put it in the bottom three). My love for her started fading pretty quickly after that, since I hated most of what she did afterward - including Across the Universe. I did enjoy her When You Believe and was hopeful her Idol run was turning back around, but then I loathed Any Man of Mine. I would've preferred her staying over Michael, but considering I'd hated nearly everything she'd done since PIB, it wasn't that big of a deal for me. She slayed on the Idol tour, though, and I wish she'd been able to perform Stockholm Syndrome during the show (apparently there were licensing issues). That said, her fanbase on IDF during the season and afterward left a sour taste in my mouth so I haven't really cared that much in the years since.

72. Matt Giraud - Not a fan. Hated him in S8, didn't think he should've been in the wildcard show after Viva la Vida, and thought them saving him was pointless. It was clear the save was meant for Adam or Danny but then they realized they'd look stupid if they never used it, so he got lucky in that regard. But I still found it pointless.

71. Phil Stacey - He had a few good performances, so I'd probably put him around this area too.

75. Amber Holcomb - I loved her ballads like MFV, SLH and WAYDTROYL as you mentioned. :yes: Wish shed sold me with an up-tempo song though (aside from her celebration performance). I thought she was one of the more marketable ones her season but sad she doesn't seem to have done much. 

74. Anwar Robinson - I loved his last two semis performances, but he went downhill pretty quickly in the finals. 

73. Siobhan Magnus - Another one who I loved in the semis but went downhill quickly in the finals, except for Paint in Black and Across the Universe. 

72. Matt Giraud - I rooted for him pretty hard at first because he's from my state, so I was disappointed when he bombed with Viva la Vida. He redeemed himself with Who's Loving You, but stayed kinda inconsistent in the finals. 5th was a fair spot for him to go out on. 

71. Phil Stacey - Phil was one of the more consistent people on S6, he's underrated.

8 minutes ago, ~Tom~ said:

Phil was one of the more consistent people on S6

O.o

I’d hardly call him consistent considering it was 50/50 on if he was turning in one of his better performances or one of his lesser performances in any given week. :haha:

4 minutes ago, Elliott said:

O.o

I’d hardly call him consistent considering it was 50/50 on if he was turning in one of his better performances or one of his lesser performances in any given week. :haha:

Aside from Maria Maria and I Need You, I don't think he had many terrible ones. :haha: 

3 minutes ago, ~Tom~ said:

Aside from Maria Maria and I Need You, I don't think he had many terrible ones. :haha: 

I didn't really care for his Top 9 (I think?) performance. Whichever week he did the Standards song.

But I wasn't trying to imply that he was terrible since I think he was pretty solid. But I think inconsistency was something he struggled with since his "great" performances were typically sandwiched in between some of his weaker showings. Which is also how I'd describe the winner of that season.