idolforums.com
Crisis

Crisis On Hand: An American Idol Finalists Ranking List

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, miss denise said:

100. Emily Piriz: She was my favorite of the season and what was disappointing to me about her journey was just how short it was! :( I didn't have an issue with "Let's Get Loud", but I get your points and it was my least favorite of hers. I loved and was obsessed with her version of "Stars" from Hollywood! :omg:❤️ I really hoped the judges would save her, especially with her singing that song again. :broken:  She did have so much potential and ugh, that season was not my favorite.

Yes, another Emily Piriz fan!!!!!! :clap:Her version of "Stars" was beautiful!

Edited by Bk1234

Posted (edited)

Here are the clues for the upcoming set:

• Tangerine suit
  • Had an offspring audition for Idol
  • Burning piano
  • "You don't know a thing about her..."
  • An IDF darling...

95. Chikezie: Season 7 (10th Place)

114178.jpg

Leading off this set is another S7 male. Chikezie may not be the most popular contestant, but I liked him. In fact, he was my favorite male of the season at one point. On the show Chikezie was two different performers. He did really well with his up-tempo numbers, but he wasn’t as captivating with his ballads, where he would take on Luther Vandross; spoiler alert: Chikezie did not win those battles. :haha: In addition to this, he wasn’t above mouthing off at the judges; he and Simon had a few exchanges during the season, the most notable one being after his Top 24 performance of More Today Than Yesterday, which was easily his worst. It looked and sounded like something that can be seen and heard on cruise ships. Between that and his performance, admittedly I was somewhat surprised he managed to advance to the following week. There he gave his best performance in the semis with I Believe To My Soul. It was certainly a great way to bounce back from the previous week. The performance Chikezie is probably the best known for is She’s A Woman during the first week of the finals. It was without a question my favorite performance of his and in my Top 3 of the night. I also enjoyed I’ve Just Seen A Face the following week. The week after he decided to channel his inner Luther Vandross again and sing If Only For One Night. It wasn't bad; it was boring and forgettable, which is the worst thing a contestant could be at that stage of the competition. It would be his last as he was eliminated the night after. I pretty much knew it was coming, though I was rooting for Syesha to leave that week at the time. :ph34rwave: While he may not be a contestant many may think of, Chikezie had his moments on Idol.

94. Nikki McKibbin: Season 1 (3rd Place)

7801546.jpg

Appearing now is the original B3 queen. Nikki spent so much time in the B3 in the finals she could've built a small town there. Every week but one she was in the B3. Outside of this, Nikki certainly stood out from the rest of the finalist looks wise with her pink hair and tattoos. She was billed as the pop rocker of the group. Performance wise, I think Nikki is on the underrated side. She may not have been the strongest contestant, but I don’t think she’s as bad as she’s made out to be, though being in the bottom so many times didn’t help her cause. I thought she only had two poor performances throughout her time on Idol. The first one was Ben, mainly because it was so boring and dragged on forever. Besides, it’s not exactly one of Michael Jackson’s best songs. The second was (There’s) Always Something There To Remind Me. While it looked like she was having a blast, the singing was completely out of tune. Everything else was at least average. Her best showing was definitely Top 4 night. On a night where the others had one good and one bad performance, Nikki was solid on both of her performances. Speaking of that week, Nikki received, and may very well still receive, some serious backlash due to her staying over Tamyra just because she was in the B2 with Tamyra. Though I like Tamyra more than Nikki, she hasn’t appeared yet after all, I thought most of the vitriol Nikki received was unfair. It wasn’t her fault she received more votes. If anything, that was the one week I wouldn't have placed her in the bottom; I would've had Justin down there and him leaving instead. Anyway, she eventually finished in third. Post-Idol, Nikki went through quite a bit; however, I won’t go into any details. Overall, Nikki was someone who I think is better than given credit for.

93. Tyanna Jones: Season 14 (5th Place)

tyanna-jones-american-idol.jpg?quality=80&strip=all

It's time to go back to S14 with the next finalist. Tyanna was a confident teenager who started off well enough but ended up losing her way as the competition went on. Her first four performances were really good. My favorites out of this group were Lips Are Moving and Tightrope (I think I like her version more than Majesty’s; they're close). However, Circle of Life happened, and she hit a wall she was unable to completely get over. It wasn’t as bad as what happened to Majesty after Let It Go, but she became very inconsistent afterwards. It was like she would alternate between good and bad performances the following weeks. Going back to my wall analogy, the good performances were her reaching the top and getting ready to climb down the other side; the bad performances were her getting her foot caught in a nook or slipping and her having to climb the wall again. For example, she would have a performance like Stay, which was probably her best, then follow it with Why Do Fools Fall In Love. The following week she had a solid performance of Proud Mary, then lay two eggs with Party In The USA and Heaven. Those two would be her last as she was eliminated the following week. At least she had a nice send off with her video package and getting to perform one last time compared to what most of the others got that season. She also was a highlight during the finale when she performed with the Jacksons. Tyanna was someone who had a promising start but was unable to finish strong which is a shame.

92. James Durbin: Season 10 (4th Place)

5bfdc7eb2a38c.image.jpg?crop=1553,1165,0,85&resize=1553,1165&order=crop,resize

James is the metal head who wanted American Idol to give metal a chance. Funnily enough, he didn’t do a lot of hard rock/metal songs on Idol. Maybe it had something to do with clearance issues; I doubt many metal bands would clear their songs to be performed on Idol. With that said, he sang You’ve Got Another Thing Comin’ in the semis. I thought I’d never hear a Judas Priest song performed on Idol (not to mention Judas Priest themselves appearing on Idol at the Season Finale), so it was really cool to see. However, some of James’ best performances were when he wasn’t rocking out. My favorite performances of his were Maybe I’m Amazed (though it was somewhat surprising to see Paul McCartney was James’ personal idol. Then again, it really shouldn’t have been thinking about it), While My Guitar Gently Weeps, and Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow. The one knock I have on James is he could get screechy from time to time. If I had to pick a performance of his I really didn’t care for, it would be Don’t Stop Believin’. Also, I really disliked Saturday Night’s Alright For Fighting. It was just him running around on stage and him screaming with the background singers doing the heavy lifting. Finally, I have to mention the I'm Into Something Good duet with Jacob. It was a hot mess. To be fair, however, with James being a rocker and Jacob a gospel singer, it was certainly an odd pairing. Considering that Casey & Haley and Scotty & Lauren were similar music wise, it made sense for those pairings to occur and therefore, James and Jacob were stuck with each other. 😂 I would’ve also included Without You; however, I gave him a slight pass because he got emotional thinking about his family. Eventually, James finished in fourth after there was thought he would be in the finale. Post-Idol, I know he released a few albums and was the lead singer for Quiet Riot for a couple of years. Overall, I gave metal a chance and James was someone I enjoyed from time to time.

91. Jessica Sanchez: Season 11 (2nd Place)

Jessica-Sanchez-press-photo-2016-billboard-1548-1024x677.jpg

Closing out this set may be the most controversial ranking thus far.  Earlier in the thread, I mentioned Jessica and Joshua may not be as high as some people think and that Phillip would be ranked higher than at least one of them. Well, Phillip has yet to appear; however, Jessica has, so now there is an answer (Joshua’s fate has yet to be determined, however :muwahaha:). I know there will be some complaints about this and thoughts that Jessica is too low. However, I was never really a big fan of Jessica; in fact, I thought (and still think) she’s quite overrated and almost didn’t put her in the Top 100 in the first place. With all that said, I will not deny her vocal abilities; they are absolutely insane and the reason she’s this high. It’s just that I didn’t enjoy her as much as I wanted to. Also, though this is really no fault of Jessica’s, I was nauseated at the way her save was handled, with the judges going on stage, snatching the mic from her during her save song, and finally scolding the voters for not voting for her. It made me wish she was eliminated the following week just to see their heads explode knowing they couldn’t do anything about it. As for her performances, if anything, I liked her more before the save because at least she was taking chances and trying to show artistry. Afterwards, she definitely played it safe and became less interesting. Having said that, the performances of hers I enjoyed the most were Love You I Do, Sweet Dreams, Stuttering (even if it led to her “elimination”), and The Prayer. I know some are wondering where is And I Am Telling You I’m Going. Personally, I found that performance to be MASSIVELY overrated. I didn’t think it was anywhere near as great as it was made out to be, though the duet with Jennifer Holliday at the Finale was all sorts of epic. :dead: Other than that, I also didn’t enjoy any of her Top 3 showings; I actually thought she was the worst that night. My All was particularly bad, but I’m maybe being too tough on it because it’s one of my all-time favorite Mariah Carey songs. I’ll Be There was another odd one because it sounded like she was trying to channel both Michael and Jermaine. Finally, her coronation song was tragic. Though I thought she outperformed Phillip in the finale, she had no chance because Phillip was a WGWG, and they were practically unstoppable at the time. Furthermore, her performance of said coronation song didn’t help. I’ll end this write-up on a positive note: she absolutely slayed The Prayer at the S15 Grand Finale. Though I may seem critical of her and think she’s overrated, Jessica is a very gifted singer and had her fair share of strong moments on the show.

095. Chikezie

094. Nikki McKibbin

093. Tyanna Jones

092. James Durbin

091. Jessica Sanchez

What to expect for the next set:

• No plane tickets needed to be booked for at least a week
  • "One gifted with more than ordinary spiritual and moral insight"
  • The other country blonde
  • Buff Love, Doug E. Fresh...
  • This finalist's run went into the grave not too long after being born

This set shouldn't be difficult, so have at it (assuming some aren't too upset about a certain finalist...).

Edited by Crisis

Tangerine suit: Chikezie - I remember him wearing that during a semi-finals performance :haha: "More Today Than Yesterday"
Had an offspring audition for Idol: Nikki - Her son auditioned! Season 13? 
Burning piano : James - I definitely remember the burning piano during his Elton John performance!
"You don't know a thing about her...": Tyanna - She sang Kelly's "Mr. Know It All"
An IDF darling... : Jessica, by default :broken: 

This should be right. And yay my guesses were right! 

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Bk1234 said:

Yes, another Emily Piriz fan!!!!!! :clap:Her version of "Stars" was beautiful!

:wub: I sure am! :hug: Yes, that was literally my favorite performance of the season. ❤️ :broken: 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, miss denise said:

Aw, I missed where you weren't feeling well, but glad to hear you're better now. :hug: 

100. Emily Piriz: She was my favorite of the season and what was disappointing to me about her journey was just how short it was! :( I didn't have an issue with "Let's Get Loud", but I get your points and it was my least favorite of hers. I loved and was obsessed with her version of "Stars" from Hollywood! :omg:❤️ I really hoped the judges would save her, especially with her singing that song again. :broken:  She did have so much potential and ugh, that season was not my favorite. 

099. DeAndre Brackensick: DeAndre was also one of my favorites of the season. I loved his voice so much and was so impressed with his falsetto. Aw, I thought "Georgia On My Mind" was one of his stronger performances, but I agree with your other favorites.  I didn't know he released an album but am curious to check it out!

098. Katie Stevens:  My biggest favorite after Aaron that season, so disappointed she was cut so early. :( I loved her voice and thought she was coming into her own.  The misleading critiques from the judges was confusing.... I always saw her as a pop R&B singer and loved her voice in that genre, but I did have a random moment of hearing a similarity in her tone to Danielle Bradbery, who sings country. :haha:  "Big Girls Don't Cry" was one of my favorites of hers, and I thought all her best performances were in the finals. I've been watching her as the lead on The Bold Type for years now, so I almost associate her with that now more than Idol, even though of course I know where she got her start. :haha:  It's so weird for me to remember that while watching the show. 

097. Madison VanDenburg:  She probably has one of the most disappointing journeys on the show for me. I LOVED her audition and thought she was amazing, but then never really got that from her again. I'm sure I enjoyed some of her performances later on, but I honestly don't remember them. :(  She was still probably my third favorite of the season, but I also can't think of everyone :dead: It's weird how my memory is worst on the most recent seasons. And LOL at how every week was "finally" the time she would connect with a song. :lmao: 

096. Dimitrius Graham: I never really took notice of him for some reason.  He has a good voice, but I guess I didn't connect with him. 

I have ideas for two of the clues. :shiftywave: 

I had a grueling homework assignment that frustrated me to no end. I managed to finish it, but I was so mentally tired I pretty much went straight to bed after my last post of the evening. I'm much better now, thank you. 😁

100. Yeah, it was disappointing how short her journey was; I definitely expected her to go farther than she did. It shows how crucial songs choices are. If anyone was save worthy that saving, it was probably her.

099. For Georgia On My Mind, I thought he overused the falsetto. As I mentioned in my write-up, however, as much as I didn't like it, it was still one of the better performances that round, so I actually didn't mind him being picked. As for his album, I only listened to a couple of tracks, but I liked what I've heard. If you're into neo-soul, it's worth a listen. 👍

098. She did appear to be coming into her own when she was eliminated. Yeah, it was something watching the judges argue over who she should be as an artist. Agreed about seeing her as a pop R&B singer. As I said, Simon completely checked out that season, so who knows what the heck he was doing. :haha:

097. I find it funny some of us don't remember much about the more recent seasons. :dead: As for Madison, the main thing I remember was her smiling in every performance, hence the running gag of it being the week she finally connects to a song. :haha: With that said, she has a tremendous upside; just needed more experience.

096. Fair enough about him. It didn't help he was so inconsistent and appeared to have no idea where he wanted to take a song. With that said, he really did have an impressive voice.

Well, the set is up now, we'll see if your ideas are correct or not...:shiftywave:

That was fast! :haha: Enjoy your trophy!

Edited by Crisis

095. Chikezie: I have so much love for S7, as I mentioned before, and while Chikezie isn't among my very top favorites, I'm still a fan! I absolutely LOVED him on the uptempo songs. Wow, he was totally in his element, and "She's a Woman" is one of my favorites of the whole season. It's a performance I still randomly think about from time to time and would definitely make my overall favorite performances list. Not sure why ballads didn't work out as well for him because he has a great voice for them as well. :( Oh well. "he wasn’t as captivating with his ballads, where he would take on Luther Vandross; spoiler alert: Chikezie did not win those battles." :lmao: Yikes.  Oh and wow the Syesha insight. 😮 Interesting.

094. Nikki McKibbin: "Appearing now is the original B3 queen. Nikki spent so much time in the B3 in the finals she could've built a small town there. " Yikes. :dead:  I was never a fan. :(

093. Tyanna Jones: I really like her and she was among my favorites, but I suppose she did lose a bit of steam throughout. :( I loved her best on uptempo songs, specifically the ones you named. 

092. James Durbin: I'm a fan and well, I kind of already spoiled he's in my Top 4 of the season. :giggle:  I really liked him on both the more heavy rock songs and the slower ballads! He had great versatility for me and I enjoyed him. :yes: Too bad you didn't enjoy the burning piano performance because I did. :haha: "Overall, I gave metal a chance" I don't know why this cracked me up. :lmao: 

091. Jessica Sanchez: Another one of my #1 season favorites 😢 I love her and her voice is AMAZING. I know you complimented those abilities. ❤️ I had a lot of favorites that season, but settled on Jessica as my top favorite soon into the live shows.   Her voice just amazed me and I was so impressed with how confident she appeared on stage. I loved her whether she sang ballads or uptempo as well, but I did want more from some of her song choices later on in the competition, i.e. more contemporary songs that would show her potential as an artist after Idol. :( That was my only real complaint because I still love what she did. You named some of my favorite performances of her. Yay for mentioning "Stuttering" :wub: I feel it's so underrated but I LOVE IT.  Yikes at the AIATYING comments. One of my all-time favorite performances. :broken:  Oh well. I also thought her duet with Joshua was up there as one of the best and so incredible. Curious to know your thoughts on that. I have a soft spot for her coronation song, so can't agree on that either, but oh well. Love your props for "The Prayer", at least. ❤️ 

15 minutes ago, Crisis said:

I had a grueling homework assignment that frustrated me to no end. I managed to finish it, but I was so mentally tired I pretty much went straight to bed after my last post of the evening. I'm much better now, thank you. 😁

099. For Georgia On My Mind, I thought he overused the falsetto. As I mentioned in my write-up, however, as much as I didn't like it, it was still one of the better performances that round, so I actually didn't mind him being picked. As for his album, I only listened to a couple of tracks, but I liked what I've heard. If you're into neo-soul, it's worth a listen. 👍

097. I find it funny some of us don't remember much about the more recent seasons. :dead: As for Madison, the main thing I remember was her smiling in every performance, hence the running gag of it being the week she finally connects to a song. :haha: With that said, she has a tremendous upside; just needed more experience.

Well, the set is up now, we'll see if your ideas are correct or not...:shiftywave:

That was fast! :haha: Enjoy your trophy!

Ah no, sorry about that! :( I totally get being done for the day after that. :haha: At least it's out of the way now! :hug:  

- Yeah, I saw that comment, but I guess I didn't feel that way. :haha: It's okay. And glad you were fine with him advancing! I just might have to listen to the songs. :yes: 

- I don't know why that happens, but I find it does with other shows I watch as well. Maybe because the quality tends to go down. :(  I do kind of remember this about her smiling. 

I had Nikki and James in mind, and then was trying to think of someone who sung MKIA (which ended up being Tyanna), because I never believed Kelly would rank here.  I couldn't think of the tangerine suit off the top of my head, but as soon as you posted Chikezie I knew it was him! :lmao:  That left Jessica and that was the clue I didn't know how to begin to guess because there were a lot of options, lol.

:dead: I am always so late but I saw you said you'd post another set soon so I thought I might as well wait. Thank you! :giggle: 

I havent commented on this thread yet, but I've been lurking around all along and keeping up with these rankings LOL. I just want to say that even though I am a HUGE Jessica stan, you phrased your write-up on her perfectly. Keep up the great work, I really enjoy reading these!

40 minutes ago, miss denise said:

095. Chikezie: I have so much love for S7, as I mentioned before, and while Chikezie isn't among my very top favorites, I'm still a fan! I absolutely LOVED him on the uptempo songs. Wow, he was totally in his element, and "She's a Woman" is one of my favorites of the whole season. It's a performance I still randomly think about from time to time and would definitely make my overall favorite performances list. Not sure why ballads didn't work out as well for him because he has a great voice for them as well. :( Oh well. "he wasn’t as captivating with his ballads, where he would take on Luther Vandross; spoiler alert: Chikezie did not win those battles." :lmao: Yikes.  Oh and wow the Syesha insight. 😮 Interesting.

094. Nikki McKibbin: "Appearing now is the original B3 queen. Nikki spent so much time in the B3 in the finals she could've built a small town there. " Yikes. :dead:  I was never a fan. :(

093. Tyanna Jones: I really like her and she was among my favorites, but I suppose she did lose a bit of steam throughout. :( I loved her best on uptempo songs, specifically the ones you named. 

092. James Durbin: I'm a fan and well, I kind of already spoiled he's in my Top 4 of the season. :giggle:  I really liked him on both the more heavy rock songs and the slower ballads! He had great versatility for me and I enjoyed him. :yes: Too bad you didn't enjoy the burning piano performance because I did. :haha: "Overall, I gave metal a chance" I don't know why this cracked me up. :lmao: 

091. Jessica Sanchez: Another one of my #1 season favorites 😢 I love her and her voice is AMAZING. I know you complimented those abilities. ❤️ I had a lot of favorites that season, but settled on Jessica as my top favorite soon into the live shows.   Her voice just amazed me and I was so impressed with how confident she appeared on stage. I loved her whether she sang ballads or uptempo as well, but I did want more from some of her song choices later on in the competition, i.e. more contemporary songs that would show her potential as an artist after Idol. :( That was my only real complaint because I still love what she did. You named some of my favorite performances of her. Yay for mentioning "Stuttering" :wub: I feel it's so underrated but I LOVE IT.  Yikes at the AIATYING comments. One of my all-time favorite performances. :broken:  Oh well. I also thought her duet with Joshua was up there as one of the best and so incredible. Curious to know your thoughts on that. I have a soft spot for her coronation song, so can't agree on that either, but oh well. Love your props for "The Prayer", at least. ❤️ 

095. I completely agree about She's A Woman. It's in my Top 10 performances of the season (considering the amount of quality performances from that season, that says a lot)! It was interesting why he wasn't as strong on his ballads because as you said, he had a great voice for them. As for Syesha, I have quite the relationship with her, and I'll go into more detail about it when she shows up.

094. I was hoping someone would enjoy that joke. :haha: Fair enough about not being a fan. I won't say I was a huge fan of hers, but I did like her and think she gets too much flack.

093. I pretty much agree. AS mentioned, she hit a wall she couldn't quite get over

092. He did show some great versatility and put on a few entertaining shows. I explained why I didn't like the burning piano, but I can see how others would enjoy it. It was just a play on him saying give metal a chance. :haha: I actually enjoy listening to some metal from time to time.

091. Interesting you say you wish she would've done more contemporary songs. I think that's what she was trying to do with Stuttering. Unfortunately, it backfired on her as she was the lowest vote getter the following night but was fortunate the save was still in play. I just didn't see the big deal with AIATYING because I felt she had better performances that season. I went and re-watched the duet with Joshua, and yeah the two definitely did their thing there. 👍 If this is the S15 Grand Finale version of The Prayer, then yes I definitely enjoyed it and it was a great way to close the set. :thumbsup:

54 minutes ago, miss denise said:

Ah no, sorry about that! :( I totally get being done for the day after that. :haha: At least it's out of the way now! :hug:  

- Yeah, I saw that comment, but I guess I didn't feel that way. :haha: It's okay. And glad you were fine with him advancing! I just might have to listen to the songs. :yes: 

- I don't know why that happens, but I find it does with other shows I watch as well. Maybe because the quality tends to go down. :(  I do kind of remember this about her smiling. 

I had Nikki and James in mind, and then was trying to think of someone who sung MKIA (which ended up being Tyanna), because I never believed Kelly would rank here.  I couldn't think of the tangerine suit off the top of my head, but as soon as you posted Chikezie I knew it was him! :lmao:  That left Jessica and that was the clue I didn't know how to begin to guess because there were a lot of options, lol.

:dead: I am always so late but I saw you said you'd post another set soon so I thought I might as well wait. Thank you! :giggle: 

Once again, thank you. :hug:

- Though I'm critical of it, I thought it was the third best performance of the night behind Erika and Jeremy. Jen was screechy and desperate, Brielle was better than her Top 25 performance but still wasn't good enough, and the less said about Reed the better.

- That's a good point. I guess the nostalgia of the way things were makes it difficult to enjoy the same thing later down the road.

I would personally go to a mod or administrator and ask to have my account deactivated if I were to rank Kelly this low, assuming a mob of angry posters don't get to me first. :dead:

Yeah, I'll try to let others know when I'm about to post a new set so they can have a chance. It's still a work in progress, but I thought this would be fun and more interactive with other posters. You're welcome!

58 minutes ago, m1key said:

I havent commented on this thread yet, but I've been lurking around all along and keeping up with these rankings LOL. I just want to say that even though I am a HUGE Jessica stan, you phrased your write-up on her perfectly. Keep up the great work, I really enjoy reading these!

Thank you for the kind words! I appreciate you enjoying these rankings. I know Jessica is really popular around these parts; I was hoping I didn't come across as too harsh though I'm not her biggest fan.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

095. Chikezie - Tangerine suit : i think he actually wore one during a performance... his fashion sense was more discussed than his singing.. no arguments from me. 

094. Nikki McKibbin - Had an offspring audition for Idol : her son auditioned during one of the last seasons on fox. i don't think he went far. still nikki is one of my favs from season 1 along with tamyra and kelly. they should have made the top 3. it is sad neither she nor tamyra had a successful music career. 

093. Tyanna Jones - "You don't know a thing about her..." : just by default of what is left.. i guess the hint has to do with one of her songs.. don't remember much of her or cared to look. 

092. James Durbin - Burning piano:  for some reason i don't remember a burning piano except for the fire screens during one of his songs.. he was my second fav after paul left and loved his song choices but he never seemed genuine as a rocker for me. all the hard rock attitude always seemed like he was trying too hard. i liked his first solo album which showed his melodic side and i agree that some of his best performances were when he went soft and didn't try too hard to compete with adam. still he was always ridiculed as fake in the metal community. they never took him seriously as a metalhead. i stopped following him when he joined that awful "metal" band. 

091. Jessica Sanchez - An IDF darling...: :devilwave: wasn't a fan of her during idol. good singer but very boring on stage. yet not as boring as pia toscano boring.. 

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Crisis said:

095. Chikezie

094. Nikki McKibbin

093. Tyanna Jones

092. James Durbin

091. Jessica Sanchez

I won’t try to match up the clues since @miss denise did a great job with them already! 👍

My Opinions:

Chikezie- No comment.

Nikki McKibbin- Tamyra was crazy talented, but she DID have a bad night, like you mentioned earlier. So, Nikki was probably deserving of her spot in the Top 3. I agree with you that Justin should’ve went home, but what can you do? Heartthrobs go far, as we saw with Louis Knight this season... 😒 

Tyanna Jones- I had no clue who she was, even though I watched Season 14. I looked up some of her performances and then I started to remember. I guess she wasn’t that memorable if I don’t remember a FIFTH place finalist... 🤔

James Durbin- In my opinion, he could totally slay a song, or he could totally ruin it. I didn’t like when he went too crazy with the high notes. It just wasn’t bearable for me... 🙁 However, when he saved the high notes for a special moment in the song, it was perfect!!! 😊 Also, the flames coming out of the piano were the highlight of a not great performance... 

Jessica Sanchez- I had a feeling “an IDF darling” would refer to her, but I didn’t think it would be this low... 😔 Yes, I did like her, but no, she was NOT my favorite from the season. Jessica displayed beautiful vocal prowess on the show, which is hard to ignore. However, I understand all of your points. One performance that bothered me was “I Will Always Love You.” I think she overused her vibrato in that to the point where it became unbearable. I enjoyed her performance of “Stuttering,” and I remember during one performance she attempted to sit on a piano and almost fell because she was about to miss it! :haha: Overall, I liked Jessica, but in my opinion, there were better contestants that season.

Edited by Bk1234

From what I've seen of Chikezie, I definitely think he has a good voice. He never stood out a a major favorite to me though. From my recent rewatch of season 7, I was all about the Davids, Syesha, Brooke, Carly, Michael (💔 ), and Alexandrea.

Nikki was kinda refreshing her season tbh. Her closest competition was Ryan I suppose, and Ryan totally imploded (on purpose ❤️). ITA with you about preferring Justin to go home during top 4. A top 3 of Kelly, Nikki, and Tamyra would've been everything!

Tyanna was indeed very much hit or miss. I remember loving everything up until Circle of Life, especially Tightrope. Unfortunately for her, afterwards, only Stay stood out to me.

James has slowly grown on me over the past several years. In particular, I rather love WYSLMT. That was great ❤️ I'm hoping that when I rewatch season 10 sometime that I can find more highlights of James and maybe feel motivated to looking at his post idol work lol.

One thing that kinda surprises me in retrospect about season 11's top finalists is how little airtime most of them received leading up to the liveshows (Of the top 10, only Phillip and HeeJun were really all that prominently shown; while people like Jessica and Hollie were hidden until the Las Vegas round). I remember being pretty wowed by certain performances of Jessica's, such as the ones you named plus AIATY, though I only really revisit the finale version lol. I never was fully attached to Jessica however, and I've admittedly only sparingly looked to see what she's been up to since finishing her Idol run. 

8 hours ago, blackfield said:
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

095. Chikezie - Tangerine suit : i think he actually wore one during a performance... his fashion sense was more discussed than his singing.. no arguments from me. 

094. Nikki McKibbin - Had an offspring audition for Idol : her son auditioned during one of the last seasons on fox. i don't think he went far. still nikki is one of my favs from season 1 along with tamyra and kelly. they should have made the top 3. it is sad neither she nor tamyra had a successful music career. 

093. Tyanna Jones - "You don't know a thing about her..." : just by default of what is left.. i guess the hint has to do with one of her songs.. don't remember much of her or cared to look. 

092. James Durbin - Burning piano:  for some reason i don't remember a burning piano except for the fire screens during one of his songs.. he was my second fav after paul left and loved his song choices but he never seemed genuine as a rocker for me. all the hard rock attitude always seemed like he was trying too hard. i liked his first solo album which showed his melodic side and i agree that some of his best performances were when he went soft and didn't try too hard to compete with adam. still he was always ridiculed as fake in the metal community. they never took him seriously as a metalhead. i stopped following him when he joined that awful "metal" band. 

091. Jessica Sanchez - An IDF darling...: :devilwave: wasn't a fan of her during idol. good singer but very boring on stage. yet not as boring as pia toscano boring.. 

095. Yep, he wore it during the Top 24 round. He and Simon going after each other's fashion sense was hilarious. 🤣

094. He was cut sometime in Hollywood. I definitely don't disagree with a Top 3 of Kelly, Tamyra, and Nikki. Agree with the last sentence.

093. That's a pretty popular opinion of Tyanna unfortunately. 😂

092. It was during Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting when the piano was set on fire. Funny enough, I thought he was one of the more genuine rockers; he was certainly more believable than Constantine. He was ridiculed as fake in the metal community? I guess it kind of makes sense since it's highly unlikely die hard metal heads watch a show such as Idol.

091. Can't say I disagree with this sentiment.

3 hours ago, Bk1234 said:

I won’t try to match up the clues since @miss denise did a great job with them already! 👍

My Opinions:

Chikezie- No comment.

Nikki McKibbin- Tamyra was crazy talented, but she DID have a bad night, like you mentioned earlier. So, Nikki was probably deserving of her spot in the Top 3. I agree with you that Justin should’ve went home, but what can you do? Heartthrobs go far, as we saw with Louis Knight this season... 😒 

Tyanna Jones- I had no clue who she was, even though I watched Season 14. I looked up some of her performances and then I started to remember. I guess she wasn’t that memorable if I don’t remember a FIFTH place finalist... 🤔

James Durbin- In my opinion, he could totally slay a song, or he could totally ruin it. I didn’t like when he went too crazy with the high notes. It just wasn’t bearable for me... 🙁 However, when he saved the high notes for a special moment in the song, it was perfect!!! 😊 Also, the flames coming out of the piano were the highlight of a not great performance... 

Jessica Sanchez- I had a feeling “an IDF darling” would refer to her, but I didn’t think it would be this low... 😔 Yes, I did like her, but no, she was NOT my favorite from the season. Jessica displayed beautiful vocal prowess on the show, which is hard to ignore. However, I understand all of your points. One performance that bothered me was “I Will Always Love You.” I think she overused her vibrato in that to the point where it became unbearable. I enjoyed her performance of “Stuttering,” and I remember during one performance she attempted to sit on a piano and almost fell because she was about to miss it! :haha: Overall, I liked Jessica, but in my opinion, there were better contestants that season.

Nikki: I pretty much agree. Considering where I ranked Louis in my S18 rankings, you won't have any arguments from me. :haha:

Tyanna: As mentioned, that pretty much the thought regarding Tyanna. Her clue was a double entendre: it referenced Kelly's Mr. Know It All, which Tyanna sang, and it highlighted how forgettable some think Tyanna was. :haha:

James: Pretty much agree about him. I didn't care when he went too high either, though he was no where near as bad as Jacob in that department.

Jessica: Can't say I disagree about her. Now I'm curious to know which performance she nearly fell when she tried to sit on a piano. I think I remember something about this; nonetheless, I'll go look for it some time.

51 minutes ago, hayden98 said:

From what I've seen of Chikezie, I definitely think he has a good voice. He never stood out a a major favorite to me though. From my recent rewatch of season 7, I was all about the Davids, Syesha, Brooke, Carly, Michael (💔 ), and Alexandrea.

Nikki was kinda refreshing her season tbh. Her closest competition was Ryan I suppose, and Ryan totally imploded (on purpose ❤️). ITA with you about preferring Justin to go home during top 4. A top 3 of Kelly, Nikki, and Tamyra would've been everything!

Tyanna was indeed very much hit or miss. I remember loving everything up until Circle of Life, especially Tightrope. Unfortunately for her, afterwards, only Stay stood out to me.

James has slowly grown on me over the past several years. In particular, I rather love WYSLMT. That was great ❤️ I'm hoping that when I rewatch season 10 sometime that I can find more highlights of James and maybe feel motivated to looking at his post idol work lol.

One thing that kinda surprises me in retrospect about season 11's top finalists is how little airtime most of them received leading up to the liveshows (Of the top 10, only Phillip and HeeJun were really all that prominently shown; while people like Jessica and Hollie were hidden until the Las Vegas round). I remember being pretty wowed by certain performances of Jessica's, such as the ones you named plus AIATY, though I only really revisit the finale version lol. I never was fully attached to Jessica however, and I've admittedly only sparingly looked to see what she's been up to since finishing her Idol run. 

That's pretty much the thought about Chikezie. When S7 is discussed, his name is hardly mentioned. 🤷‍♂️

I agree with everything said about Nikki.

No arguments regarding Tyanna.

I liked James somewhat during his season, but he was never a huge favorite of mine. He grew on me some after re-watching his performances.

Interesting point about how other than Phillip and HeeJun, hardly any of the other finalists received much airtime leading to the live shows although I would mention Colton with Phillip and HeeJun because of the story line of him and his sister. As for Jessica, I'm pretty much in agreement.

On 7/1/2020 at 11:30 PM, ~Tom~ said:

He's better than Gabby though.

Reese Witherspoon What Like Its Hard GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Posted (edited)

100. Emily Piriz - She was an early favourite of mine, but Let's Get Loud was a mess and just seemed like pandering to me. I still would've preferred her sticking around to a few others, though.

099. DeAndre Brackensick - Meh.

098. Katie Stevens - Didn't really care for her during her run on Idol, but she impressed me in the finale and she was one of the biggest shockers for me on the Idol tour afterward, so I became a fan then. She was in Faking It which I loved, so I'm glad to see she's had some success in the acting world. She's hard for me to rank because in some aspects, she's probably become my second favourite from that season, but it has nothing to do with Idol. :haha:

097. Madison VanDenburg - I agreed with all of your comments. Technically good, but I felt zero emotional connection to what she sang and I don't think the judges constantly telling her she was going to be the next Kelly Clarkson did her any favours when they should've given her actual advice on how to improve her skills. Her and Alejandro were my least favourite of the finalists that season, as well, though with her it's more apathy.

096. Dimitrius Graham - Didn't really care for him too much, but I would've kept him around longer. His wildcard and Disney performances were good.

095. Chikezie - Not a fan in the slightest. I would've much rather preferred several others making it to the Top 10 over him.

094. Nikki McKibbin - She was my S1 favourite at the time. I liked her vibe (even if her performances haven't really aged that well) and kind of lived for her being the B3 queen of the season. (Though Syesha, Elise and Hollie later tied her, and Rayvon eventually overtook them all 🙄, her percentage is still the highest - 6 appearances in 7 weeks.) Also as someone that never really got on the Tamyra bandwagon, I was living for that results show. :devilwave: Her post-Idol music was catchy, and it was sad watching her suffer from her drug and alcohol addiction for so long. Afaik, she's still sober, and it was kind of cool seeing her son come back to audition in season 13. :haha:

093. Tyanna Jones - Whomst?

092. James Durbin - My season 10 favourite. :broken: I hated season 10, so James was pretty much the only one keeping me watching after Naima, Paul and Pia were all eliminated. He had a few performances that I didn't really care for, but I loved most of what he did. Scotty, Lauren and Haley were my three least favourite contestants in the Top 13 during the season, so I didn't really tune in much after he got eliminated. :haha:

091. Jessica Sanchez - ugh finally. ❤️ Reading your write-up, I'm pretty much in agreement with everything you said, so slay ❤️ She's technically a good singer, but I found her incredibly boring and was so over the hard-on IDF had for her that entire year. Her performances were bland and uninspired, and the way IDF had convinced themselves she was going to be a mega-star like Beyoncé post-Idol was hilarious when it was obvious to me that was never going to happen. Had it been up to me, she would've peaced out after that butchering of Turn the Beat Around (that the judges somehow loved). I thought her initial elimination after Stuttering was more than deserved (I even predicted it in the prediction game IDF had that year and had all of the Jessica stans telling me I was an idiot, I love being right :wub:) and the way they went about saving her was the definition of cringe. (Also the conspiracy theories that IDF kept using that they just lied about her being last in the vote to give her a boost? Child...) Also as a Colton stan, I was fuming when the show bussed him the next week to try and get rid of her competition, and she wound up making the finale. Her Top 3 performances were terrible and I don't think she did that well in the finale, either. She's much lower on my list.

Edited by Elliott
  • Like 1

Is it bad that when Jimmy Iovine compared Jessica and Hollie, I always thought to myself “Hollie is better”?

4 minutes ago, Bk1234 said:

Is it bad that when Jimmy Iovine compared Jessica and Hollie, I always thought to myself “Hollie is better”?

I also preferred Hollie by far.

• Like 1

I’m a huge Jessica Sanchez fan so I can’t rate her this low!  But I respect your opinion and do agree that she could be boring for some.

14 hours ago, Crisis said:

095. I completely agree about She's A Woman. It's in my Top 10 performances of the season (considering the amount of quality performances from that season, that says a lot)! It was interesting why he wasn't as strong on his ballads because as you said, he had a great voice for them. As for Syesha, I have quite the relationship with her, and I'll go into more detail about it when she shows up.

093. I pretty much agree. AS mentioned, she hit a wall she couldn't quite get over

092. It was just a play on him saying give metal a chance. :haha: I actually enjoy listening to some metal from time to time.

091. Interesting you say you wish she would've done more contemporary songs. I think that's what she was trying to do with Stuttering. Unfortunately, it backfired on her as she was the lowest vote getter the following night but was fortunate the save was still in play.  I went and re-watched the duet with Joshua, and yeah the two definitely did their thing there. 👍 

Once again, thank you. :hug:

- Though I'm critical of it, I thought it was the third best performance of the night behind Erika and Jeremy. Jen was screechy and desperate, Brielle was better than her Top 25 performance but still wasn't good enough, and the less said about Reed the better.

I would personally go to a mod or administrator and ask to have my account deactivated if I were to rank Kelly this low, assuming a mob of angry posters don't get to me first. :dead:

Yeah, I'll try to let others know when I'm about to post a new set so they can have a chance. It's still a work in progress, but I thought this would be fun and more interactive with other posters. You're welcome!

- So true about the quality of S7 performances! Ugh, love that season. :wub: I look forward to seeing your thoughts on Syesha when she appears. ^_^ 

- Yes, your wall analogy was very good. :haha: 

- I noticed :giggle: Not me, but I do think Idol has opened me up to more genres than I listened to before. :yes: 

-  Yes, I meant after that - and you also mentioned something about her song choices being more safe from that point. :( It's too bad if that "elimination" caused her to change her song-picking strategy. Oh yay, glad you think so! 😄 

:hug: 

Glad to hear it! ❤️ I can't remember everyone's performances, but I know I loved Jeremy's. Yikes about Reed. :lmao: I can sort of picture his.

You wouldn't have to go very far because I'm a mod. :dead: :teeheewave: But I am curious where Kelly will rank. 

That's fair! It is fun and different. :yes: It's hard not to try to guess the clues right when they're posted, but hopefully everyone can restrain themselves. :haha:  Also, every time I come in here, I keep thinking how I want to do an updated version of my own Idol ranking. :haha: I think the last time I posted one was after season 7, which is crazy.

4 hours ago, Elliott said:

100. Emily Piriz - She was an early favourite of mine, but Let's Get Loud was a mess and just seemed like pandering to me. I still would've preferred her sticking around to a few others, though.

099. DeAndre Brackensick - Meh.

098. Katie Stevens - Didn't really care for her during her run on Idol, but she impressed me in the finale and she was one of the biggest shockers for me on the Idol tour afterward, so I became a fan then. She was in Faking It which I loved, so I'm glad to see she's had some success in the acting world. She's hard for me to rank because in some aspects, she's probably become my second favourite from that season, but it has nothing to do with Idol. :haha:

097. Madison VanDenburg - I agreed with all of your comments. Technically good, but I felt zero emotional connection to what she sang and I don't think the judges constantly telling her she was going to be the next Kelly Clarkson did her any favours when they should've given her actual advice on how to improve her skills. Her and Alejandro were my least favourite of the finalists that season, as well, though with her it's more apathy.

096. Dimitrius Graham - Didn't really care for him too much, but I would've kept him around longer. His wildcard and Disney performances were good.

095. Chikezie - Not a fan in the slightest. I would've much rather preferred several others making it to the Top 10 over him.

094. Nikki McKibbin - She was my S1 favourite at the time. I liked her vibe (even if her performances haven't really aged that well) and kind of lived for her being the B3 queen of the season. (Though Syesha, Elise and Hollie later tied her, and Rayvon eventually overtook them all 🙄, her percentage is still the highest - 6 appearances in 7 weeks.) Also as someone that never really got on the Tamyra bandwagon, I was living for that results show. :devilwave: Her post-Idol music was catchy, and it was sad watching her suffer from her drug and alcohol addiction for so long. Afaik, she's still sober, and it was kind of cool seeing her son come back to audition in season 13. :haha:

093. Tyanna Jones - Whomst?

092. James Durbin - My season 10 favourite. :broken: I hated season 10, so James was pretty much the only one keeping me watching after Naima, Paul and Pia were all eliminated. He had a few performances that I didn't really care for, but I loved most of what he did. Scotty, Lauren and Haley were my three least favourite contestants in the Top 13 during the season, so I didn't really tune in much after he got eliminated. :haha:

091. Jessica Sanchez - ugh finally. ❤️ Reading your write-up, I'm pretty much in agreement with everything you said, so slay ❤️ She's technically a good singer, but I found her incredibly boring and was so over the hard-on IDF had for her that entire year. Her performances were bland and uninspired, and the way IDF had convinced themselves she was going to be a mega-star like Beyoncé post-Idol was hilarious when it was obvious to me that was never going to happen. Had it been up to me, she would've peaced out after that butchering of Turn the Beat Around (that the judges somehow loved). I thought her initial elimination after Stuttering was more than deserved (I even predicted it in the prediction game IDF had that year and had all of the Jessica stans telling me I was an idiot, I love being right :wub:) and the way they went about saving her was the definition of cringe. (Also the conspiracy theories that IDF kept using that they just lied about her being last in the vote to give her a boost? Child...) Also as a Colton stan, I was fuming when the show bussed him the next week to try and get rid of her competition, and she wound up making the finale. Her Top 3 performances were terrible and I don't think she did that well in the finale, either. She's much lower on my list.

100. I pretty much agree regarding her

099. Not much to say here :haha:

098. Nice to see she was good on tour. It is good to see her have some success in acting though as mentioned in her write-up I wonder if she's still singing

097. I think it's expecting too much for this group of judges to give any constructive criticism (Though Katy lets some slip out occasionally and I have the feeling Luke wanted to be more critical than he has been). :haha: Agreed with Madison needing more advice on how to get better rather than being constantly compared to Kelly Clarkson.

096. Can't say I disagree here

095. ☹️

094. Agreed about her performances not aging well over the years. I can't say I agree about the results during that week, but I didn't blame Nikki. Nice to see her post-Idol music was catchy, especially after the issue with RCA wanting her to go country when she clearly wanted to be a pop-rocker. 🙄 Happy to see she's still sober because I know she was in a really bad place at some point, and I agree it was cool seeing her son audition in S13.

093. :dead:

092. While I won't say I disliked S10, I thought it was one of the more overrated seasons. Nonetheless, other than him being a favorite of mine, I enjoyed James for the most part.

091. Tell us how you really feel about her. :haha: I can't say I disagree with most of what was written, the one major exception was her leaving after Turn The Beat Around. While it wasn't good, HeeJun was still around at the point and he was much worse not only that night, but overall. Also, as mentioned, I thought Stuttering was one of her better ones. 🤷‍♂️

4 hours ago, Bk1234 said:

4 hours ago, Elliott said:

Seeing that Jessica has appeared and Hollie hasn't yet, that makes three of us.

2 hours ago, CarmenSandiego said:

I’m a huge Jessica Sanchez fan so I can’t rate her this low!  But I respect your opinion and do agree that she could be boring for some.

I know you mentioned you were a huge Jessica Sanchez fan in the thread, so this was probably a shock. 💔 Appreciate respecting my opinion even if it's not the most favorable. I think I broke just about every heart of those who have been reading and commenting in this thread now. :haha:

2 hours ago, miss denise said:

- So true about the quality of S7 performances! Ugh, love that season. :wub: I look forward to seeing your thoughts on Syesha when she appears. ^_^ 

- Yes, your wall analogy was very good. :haha: 

- I noticed :giggle: Not me, but I do think Idol has opened me up to more genres than I listened to before. :yes: 

-  Yes, I meant after that - and you also mentioned something about her song choices being more safe from that point. :( It's too bad if that "elimination" caused her to change her song-picking strategy. Oh yay, glad you think so! 😄 

:hug: 

Glad to hear it! ❤️ I can't remember everyone's performances, but I know I loved Jeremy's. Yikes about Reed. :lmao: I can sort of picture his.

You wouldn't have to go very far because I'm a mod. :dead: :teeheewave: But I am curious where Kelly will rank. 

That's fair! It is fun and different. :yes: It's hard not to try to guess the clues right when they're posted, but hopefully everyone can restrain themselves. :haha:  Also, every time I come in here, I keep thinking how I want to do an updated version of my own Idol ranking. :haha: I think the last time I posted one was after season 7, which is crazy.

- S7 is second favorite season, so I also have very fond memories on it. I look forward to you looking forward to my thoughts on Syesha. 😄

- Thank you 👍

- It certainly has for me. I wasn't the biggest country music fan prior to Idol, but now I listen to it a lot more than I used to. :yes:

- OK, I understand now. 😁

Unfortunately, I still have memories of Reed's performances, and they are not of the good kind...

:dead: I'll just say it'll be a LONG while before she appears.

Hopefully everyone can as well. If you were to do a ranking, I would definitely follow it though if it were to be at the same time as mine, I probably wouldn't comment too much as not to spoil how I feel about certain contestants who haven't appeared yet.

I'm just about finished with the next set; however, I won't post it until later on tonight because I have something to do now. I'll let everyone know when I'm ready to post it so everyone can be prepared to match the clues. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Alright, I'm about ready to post the next set.It'll be up in about an hour or so. A couple of clues were slightly changed, but the contestants are still the same. 👍

Edited by Crisis

9 hours ago, Elliott said:

Disgusted Cringe GIF

Posted (edited)

I wanted to wait until the next page, but a promise is a promise. Here are the clues for 90-86:

90. Kristy Lee Cook: Season 7 (7th Place)

kristy-lee-cook-airborne_wjujxk.jpeg

We're going to kick off this set with another S7 finalist. Kristy was a contestant who I’ve had quite the roller-coaster ride with. She wasn’t someone who I really didn’t care for at first. I didn’t like any of her I would say first five performances. Her Rescue Me was kind of hilarious, especially when it looked like her eyes would pop out of their sockets at any time. I know she was sick and was on some medication at the time, so I won’t crack on it too much. Her other two semifinal performances weren’t anything to write home about either, yet she managed to advance to the finals. I guess having all of that exposure pre-semifinals helped her out. Regardless, she gave what is her most infamous performance during Top 12 with Eight Days A Week. I don’t know what the heck she was doing, but it made me seriously cringe at the time. Now, I view it similarly as Crocodile Rock though not anywhere near as epic. Besides, I kind of liked the recorded version. Her following performance You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away wasn’t much better; however, something must've been in the air because I was actually starting to like Kristy around this point. I still wasn’t too fond of her as a singer/performer, but she started to grow on me as a person. I was starting to like her personality, with her having the “Kristy’s Stool” sign whenever she hit the B3 and her telling Simon she would blow him out of his socks. :haha: The following week she sang God Bless The USA­, which was thought to be pandering and strategic; I did as well, but it worked because not only was it her best performance up to that point, she avoided the B3 that week. It was the following week where I first enjoyed a performance of hers when she did Coat Of Many Colors. Her next two performances of Anyway and Forever were easily her best, though Forever would be her last as she was eliminated after it. I really enjoyed her starting her swan song by sitting on the judges table and singing directly to Simon.😆 Finally, I can’t mention Kristy without mentioning the legacy she left behind, with her name predicting the WGWG winners over the next four seasons including hers (five if stretched that far): David Cook, Kris Allen, Lee DeWyze, and Scotty McCreery (though he’s 1/4 Puerto Rican :haha:). Phillip Phillips could be included since his name has something to do with horse lover, since a part of Kristy’s background was her selling her favorite horse so she could have the money to audition for Idol. Though it didn’t start that way at first, Kristy grew enough on me to place her here.

89. Sonika Vaid: Season 15 (5th Place)

rpet_arrivals_and_the_debut_of_the_american_idol_xv_finalists-jpeg-06db4_6ddc82512fbcb5db45e7629a641a7677.jpg

We're going to go back to S15  for the next finalist in this ranking. Sonika was a very pretty girl with a very pretty and strong voice. However, her shortcoming was she was very apprehensive on stage, though not anywhere near as bad as Sam Woolf was. Plus, she didn’t exactly pick the most exciting songs to perform during her time on Idol. She started off well enough with Safe And Sound in the semis. It was one of the better ones. Also, I enjoyed her Skyfall duet with Caleb, though that was certainly an odd pairing and you could tell Caleb was holding back so he wouldn’t overpower her. Furthermore, Caleb did some good mentoring and was able to get Sonika to come out of her shell some. She was picked to move on to the Top 14 where she performed I Surrender which was good. Nonetheless, her strongest showing came the following week with Bring Me To Life. She definitely showed a side that wasn’t seen before with that performance; this is especially clutch since La’Porsha brought down the house with Diamonds right before it. I thought Sonika was ready to turn a new leaf and become a more confident performer after it. Unfortunately, that wasn’t the case as she reverted back to her old self afterwards. Her performances weren’t bad by any means – with the exception of Clarity, which would be her final performance – they were just big letdowns after what showing what she could potentially do, or maybe it was a fluke, who knows. She eventually left in fifth place where she didn’t even get a chance to perform any of her songs she was planning to sing that evening, which was completely bogus. It was thought that Borchetta was upset that the judges saved Sonika over Tristan the week before, so this was his way of punishing her. This appears to be pure speculation to me because I doubt Borchetta has that kind of influence. Either way, it was a bad look not to have Sonika perform one of her songs, even as a swan song. Regardless, though I like her, I was hoping Sonika would be more than what she was, which is unfortunate.

88. Melissa McGhee: Season 5 (12th Place)

318c2417-cf97-403f-91ef-ee456a308c7b~cr_1.0.2043.1703

Up next is Melissa McGhee. Melissa appeared to be this cool, down to earth (not to mention kind of attractive :ph34rwave:) girl with a husky tone to her voice I was intrigued by; in a way, she reminded me of Lindsey Cardinale, except Melissa’s voice was a bit rougher on the edges. Melissa was someone who didn’t receive much, if any, airtime prior to the voting rounds, so very little was known about her. She even mentioned during the judges’ critiques after When The Lights Go Down, which was a solid if not groundbreaking performance. I also liked Why Haven’t I Heard From You and thought What About Love was really good with the exception of her going sharp at the end. The most memorable thing about that performance was Simon’s comments afterwards. Apparently, they inspired the voters enough to vote Melissa into the Top 12. Her stay in the finals was short lived as she was eliminated after her performance of Lately. She had a double whammy of her messing up the lyrics in front of Stevie Wonder during rehearsals and then doing the same thing on stage. 😣 With that said, she had some nice vocal moments, and I still preferred her to four other contestants that night (Ace, Kellie, Kevin, and Lisa), not to mention I'll take her version or what Stefano did with it five years later. Finally, I think Ryan mentioning Melissa getting a Top 12 spot over Ayla Brown in the interview prior to the performance may have hurt her some. I didn't like it because there appeared to be an implication Melissa "stole" Ayla's spot when Ayla simply didn't get enough votes (though I would've had her in the Top 12 over Kellie or Lisa at the time). Either way, she wouldn’t have been my pick to leave that week. Lastly, it is thought that Melissa's What About Love was the best recording on the AI5 compilation album; I completely agree. She cleans up really well in the studio. Overall, I did like Melissa and would’ve loved it if she stayed for at least a few more weeks.

87. Jessica Sierra: Season 4 (10th Place)

MV5BYWIxMDk0YWQtYmZjZS00MWNiLWE1MTAtOTNmNTZkMjhiN2NmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQwMDg0Ng@@._V1_.jpg

For this next entry, we're going to revisit S4. Jessica was someone I enjoyed during S4. She had a strong voice, decent stage presence, and confident attitude. With that said, she got off to a bit of a rough start with Against All Odds in the first round of the semis. She appeared to be nervous and the singing was shaky (as an aside, of course Randy had to mention he recorded the song with Mariah Carey during his critique 🙄). However, she bounced back the next weeks with strong performances of A Broken Wing and Boys Are Back In Town, with the latter being my favorite of hers. She definitely had fun and worked the stage with that one. She advanced to the finals where she sang Shop Around during the first week. It’s considered to be one of her worst; however, I thought it was kind of underrated. Vocally, I felt it was pretty strong. If I had any criticism of it, it’s that I wish she would’ve had more energy and move around on stage more. The following week she came back with Total Eclipse Of The Heart, which was easily her best performance in the finals. Unfortunately, the subsequent week she gave a boring performance of On The Side Of Angels, which led to her elimination. I would’ve liked for her to stuck around longer; however, considering who was in the B3 with her, she was my pick to leave. Post-Idol Jessica unfortunately became a huge mess, which as with Nikki I won’t expand upon; besides, her struggles are pretty well known by now. Hopefully, although it’s been a few years, she’s in a much better place now.

86. Blake Lewis: Season 6 (2nd Place)

Blake-Lewis-AM-Awards.jpg

Closing this set is the S6 runner up. Blake was a rather popular contestant as well as the other half of the famous bromance (which once again, I refuse to name 🤢) during S6, so there are probably thoughts he may be too low. However, my thoughts about him are similar to Jessica Sanchez in that I felt he wasn’t as good as he was made out to be and wanted to rank him lower. The reason he’s here is because as I briefly touched on in my Alejandro write-up, he is considered to be the pioneer of contestants rearranging songs and truly making them their own, although frankly he had to because he wasn’t anywhere near the vocalist as most of the contestants his season. Shade aside, it really helped change Idol from the mostly pure singing competition it was prior to his arrival. The first time he really tried to do this was with You Keep Me Hangin’ On during Top 12. While it didn’t quite work, I was interested in seeing where he was going with it; besides, it was better than whatever the heck Chris Sligh tried to do with Endless Love🙄 In addition to this, his You Give Love A Bad Name kicked all sorts of :censored: (at least the first time he did it; the second time, not so much) and is considered to be one of the most groundbreaking performances in Idol history. As for his other performances, I also enjoyed his three semifinal performances with Virtual Insanity being my favorite. His I Need To Know during Top 8 was also a highlight. Unfortunately, I can’t say I enjoyed his other performances that much, the worst of the worst being both of his Top 4 showings. I don’t know what he tried to do with You Should Be Dancing; all that performance told me was I should be sitting. :haha: His This Is Where I Came In wasn’t much better. Finally, This Is My Now was clearly written with a big voiced singer in my, so it made sense for Blake to struggle with it without being able to arrange it to his liking. Also, I got the feeling he didn’t care if he won or not; I would go as far as thinking he didn’t want to win. Needless to say, it worked out well for him. I know he released a few items post-Idol and have heard a song or two of his, but I really haven’t been paying too much attention. While I may not be Blake’s biggest fan, I absolutely acknowledge and respect what he brought to the table on Idol.

090. Kristy Lee Cook

089. Sonika Vaid

088. Melissa McGhee

087. Jessica Sierra

086. Blake Lewis

OK have at it!

Clues for 85-81:

• Wasn't present at elimination
  • The forgotten diva
  • Gray Charles
  • One of the contestants with the same first name of the season falls
  • She'll be your everything if you make her a star
Edited by Crisis

• No plane tickets needed to be booked for at least a week - Melissa McGhee
  • "One gifted with more than ordinary spiritual and moral insight" - Sonika Vaid
  •  The other country blonde - Kristy Lee Cook
  • Buff Love, Doug E. Fresh... - Blake Lewis
  • This finalist's run went into the grave not too long after being born - Jessica Sierra

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Crisis said:

7 hours ago, Crisis said:

090. Kristy Lee Cook

089. Sonika Vaid

088. Melissa McGhee

087. Jessica Sierra

086. Blake Lewis

My Opinions

-“One gifted with more than ordinary spiritual and moral insight”- Kristy Lee Cook. “Eight Days A Week” was pretty bad, but I personally didn’t think it was as bad as it was made out to be... In “You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away,” she appeared very stiff and didn’t have any endearing vocals to keep me from noticing it. Season 7 is one of the best (imo), but I have to say I liked her personality way more than her performances on the show! 😂

-This finalist’s run went into the grave not too long after being born- Sonika Vaid. Like you mentioned, “Bring Me To Life” was the highlight of her run on Idol. I also wish she showed more of her “Bring Me To Life” side, but I guess that was too much of a drastic change for her! 😕 While not my favorite from the season, she definitely had some (probably only one 😂) great performances! 

-No plane tickets needed to be booked for at least a week- Melissa McGhee. No comment. 

-The other country blonde- Jessica Sierra.  No comment. 

-Buff Love, Doug E. Fresh- Blake Lewis. Not the biggest fan of his, so all I have to say is “ABC producers, Alejandro was not as groundbreaking and revolutionary as you made him out to be! Others did what he did (and in my opinion they did it better) in the seasons you ignore, but bring contestants back to perform from!”

Edited by Bk1234
  • Thanks 1