idolforums.com
Sign in to follow this  
eidi

If Just Sam won AI, why isn't there any AA woman winning TV yet?

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, echoap said:

I'm just asking, I just wanna know IDF parameters ūü§≠

Lol IDF probably sides with your line of thinking since Tessanne, who not a single person would look at and think "that is a black woman," is always used as the answer to the "why can't an AA woman win the Voice" so trust me, you are in good company. The denial here is truly something.

Anyway, this discussion is quite annoying at this point. It is what it is...no reason to continuous bring it up season after season, especially around here. 

Edited by joe14

5 minutes ago, joe14 said:

Lol IDF probably sides with your line of thinking since Tessanne, who not a single person would look at and think "that is a black woman," is always used as the answer to the "why can't an AA woman win the Voice" so trust me, you are in good company. The denial here is truly something.

Anyway, this discussion is quite annoying at this point. It is what it is...no reason to continuous bring it up season after season, especially around here. 

AA stands for African American

Tessanne is Jamaican...

anyways, queens stay queens - Buy Sam's single Rise Up

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, eidi said:

Unfortunately racism only sees the appearance.

I see your thread's point now. 

6 minutes ago, joe14 said:

Yep I see a lot of denial around here. 

6 minutes ago, joe14 said:

I agree with this part. And btw, I'm not the one bringing up the term "AA" every season around the time of the Finale. 

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, echoap said:

Yep I see a lot of denial around here. 

I agree with this part. And btw, I'm not the one bringing up the term "AA" every season around the time of the Finale. 

I have a hard time believing the audience unanimously thought Tessanne was a black women when they first say her, but you seem strong in your opinion so agree to disagree I guess. 

Yeah not you in particular but this thread is always made. The topic does not seem like an issue that bothers IDF all that much so no need in continuous discussing it. We would rather cry about four guys being in the finale instead lol.

Edited by joe14

All I know is 3/5 finalists are black, and some people still think the audience is racist. It’s just an observation. I’m not looking for a debate. 

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, TeamAudra said:

All I know is 3/5 finalists are black, and some people still think the audience is racist. It’s just an observation. I’m not looking for a debate. 

It's called a token. There are 3 black finalists this season probably because of team quotas, since if we didn't have that, Cammwess wouldn't reach it.

Now talking about winners we have only 3 black ones and only men, against 14 white ones. I'm not telling the whole audience is racist but a good part of them is, specially from team Minivan which is usually conservative.

Edited by eidi
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, eidi said:

It's called a token. There are 3 black finalists this season probably because of team quotas, since if we didn't have that, Cammwess wouldn't reach it.

Now talking about winners we have only 3 black ones and only men, against 14 white ones. I'm not telling the whole audience is racist but a good part of them is, specially from team Minivan which is usually conservative.

*three tokens 

• Confused 1

I think looking at the percentages of who auditions/makes teams, it's probably fair to say the audience has a slight bias towards White people, and a slight bias towards Men. The combination makes it harder for Black women. That said the females who win tend to be upper teens to early 20's, and the Black women we get tend to be older. Spensha, who did place 3rd, is a good example of the demographic that would be more likely to succeed....as is Just Sam. 

59 minutes ago, seak05 said:

I think looking at the percentages of who auditions/makes teams, it's probably fair to say the audience has a slight bias towards White people, and a slight bias towards Men. The combination makes it harder for Black women. That said the females who win tend to be upper teens to early 20's, and the Black women we get tend to be older. Spensha, who did place 3rd, is a good example of the demographic that would be more likely to succeed....as is Just Sam. 

Yes that's it. Racism + machismo + ageism (most of black women in finale are actually teens)

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, joe14 said:

Yeah not you in particular but this thread is always made. The topic does not seem like an issue that bothers IDF all that much so no need in continuous discussing it. We would rather cry about four guys being in the finale instead lol.

Racism is a big issue that shouldn't exist in any society, but If we're looking for examples of blatant racism, The Voice isn't a good starting point.

2 hours ago, eidi said:

All the contestants could be considered tokens. The token rocker, the token southern guy, the token pop male, the token diva, the token teen girl, the token wgwg, etc. The show's foundation is "we need a wide variety of contestants so we can attract as much viewers as possible". 

Now, some of these tokens are more successful than others, which is to be expected, considering that the audience has an old fashioned (mostly southern) taste. 

56 minutes ago, eidi said:

Yes that's it. Racism + machismo + ageism (most of black women in finale are actually teens)

I think you're focusing too much on some particular cases and you're not seeing things like Toneisha (a 44 y/o black woman) getting more votes than 4 young white girls, just a week ago. I agree that the audience is hella sexist though. 

Edited by echoap

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, echoap said:

Racism is a big issue that shouldn't exist in any modern society, but If we're looking for examples of blatant racism, The Voice isn't a good starting point.

I'm not even discussing racism (that might part of the OPs argument though)...I am discussing a lack of a clearly black female winner. Not black male winners, not black females making the finale via instant saves and still losing because neither still addresses the fact that there really have been no black female winners. I personally don't care. I've accepted that it probably will not happen on this show but let's call a spade a spade. I mean I have seen more passionate discussions about guys outlasting girls even though we had four white female winners in a row before Jake's win last season. I was just saying this particular topic is not particularly of high interest around here.

Edited by joe14

Posted (edited)

It's about music, vocalists, musicians, entertainers, performers.  It is not about nor has anything to do with race, nationality, hair style or the colour of outfits nor anything else not mentioned in the previous sentence.

Edited by Drew1903
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would say it likely comes down to the team aspect and who the producers push for each season. The two coaches that have the best chance in a given season to win due to the fact they appeal to the core demo the most are Blake and Kelly. So the best chance at an AA female win would need to come from one of their teams otherwise the core demo's majority will be too much to overcome if on some other coach's team like we've seen in past seasons. I don't believe Kelly has had an AA female make it very far and the times Blake has had one in the finale (this season pending) he or Kelly have had preferred alternatives that were pushed by the show to win. Basically neither have had an AA female TCO and until that happens the core voters will likely continue to chose the alternative.

Even if you look at Idol though who doesn't have the coach roadblock in the way, they've only had 4 AA female winners. Fantasia S3, Jordin Sparks S6(mixed), Candice S12, and Sam S18. The former two came when the show had a much more diverse audience and the latter two came when the males weren't as appealing as well as Candice and Sam getting pimped by the show. By the way i don't mean to downplay Candice and Sam's talent both are great but they got the help they needed to pull off the win. The Voice has yet to get behind an AA female like that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, eidi said:

Tessanne is clearly mixed race. Even her parents aren't black and she looks like more asian than jamaican

Her father is Chinese/Jamaican and her mother is Jamaican/European.

So she's sort of black.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Catsy said:

So she's sort of black.

Not pure AA tho.

Edited by Maxwell

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Maxwell said:

Not good enough for them. :haha:

But definitely a woman of color...

Edited by Catsy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, joe14 said:

I'm not even discussing racism (that might part of the OPs argument though)...I am discussing a lack of a clearly black female winner. Not black male winners, not black females making the finale via instant saves and still losing because neither still addresses the fact that there really have been no black female winners. I personally don't care. I've accepted that it probably will not happen on this show but let's call a spade a spade. I mean I have seen more passionate discussions about guys outlasting girls even though we had four white female winners in a row before Jake's win last season. I was just saying this particular topic is not particularly of high interest around here.

Well, we've got to a point where everything comes down to personal expectations and opinions. 

47 minutes ago, kclarkson1323 said:

I would say it likely comes down to the team aspect and who the producers push for each season. The two coaches that have the best chance in a given season to win due to the fact they appeal to the core demo the most are Blake and Kelly. So the best chance at an AA female win would need to come from one of their teams otherwise the core demo's majority will be too much to overcome if on some other coach's team like we've seen in past seasons. I don't believe Kelly has had an AA female make it very far and the times Blake has had one in the finale (this season pending) he or Kelly have had preferred alternatives that were pushed by the show to win. Basically neither have had an AA female TCO and until that happens the core voters will likely continue to chose the alternative.

Even if you look at Idol though who doesn't have the coach roadblock in the way, they've only had 4 AA female winners. Fantasia S3, Jordin Sparks S6(mixed), Candice S12, and Sam S18. The former two came when the show had a much more diverse audience and the latter two came when the males weren't as appealing as well as Candice and Sam getting pimped by the show. By the way i don't mean to downplay Candice and Sam's talent both are great but they got the help they needed to pull off the win. The Voice has yet to get behind an AA female like that.

I agree. Like most females, they are gonna need the perfect storm in order to win. 

49 minutes ago, Maxwell said:

Not good enough for them. :haha:

I won't discuss it because hopefully you are not a racist and even if you are you won't admit it ūüėĆ

• Confused 1

Also, you can see the "Team" aspect come into effect in real time now with iTunes - TStorm who clearly has the most social media following compared to Todd/Toneisha combined is behind both in Sales (yes, I know they don't count for votes). "Blake's Army" is organized and reliable.

Posted (edited)

You can't refer to the underlying factors behind the lesser success of Black Females as blatant racism, but conversely it would be pretty avoidant to assume that at least ignorance, to some degree, doesn't play a role in how the audience responds to different acts. The majority of TV viewers are older and hold more conservative values, both of which majorly clash with the aspects of a Black Female act. Both sides have foundations that make them horribly incompatible. It's only worse when the average viewer isn't searching for the vocal prowess of a church-grown vocalist. That is just a result of environment but if there's anything you can put in a negative light its when you see comments verbalizing that incompatibility, aka the mass of Facebook comments of people giving out the most minute criticisms they can whip up. And there is no doubt that if you don't really align with the main demo's preferences then you'll get a lot of crap.

And even if a Black Woman does well on TV (I don't think AI needs to be a part of the discussion), it is no doubt only when a lot of things are in her favor, from being on the right team, being a promo favorite, or just having little real competition.

Tessanne Chin and Black Men that made it far onto this show shouldn't be a part of the discussion of race matters either, seeing as how Tessanne goes under the radar as someone who does not LOOK Black, and the latter have a better position in the social hierarchy than Black Women do.

Edited by Rat!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How many times has an African American woman come in 2nd?

I think it has something to do with that some genres are more popular than others.

41 minutes ago, eidi said:

I won't discuss it because hopefully you are not a racist and even if you are you won't admit it ūüėĆ

That argument works for racists and witches alike, 100% accuracy :haha:

2 hours ago, kclarkson1323 said:

Meh...I would argue Arthur and Francisco (probably the most pimped imo and he didn't even place in the top two) were more pimped than Sam and even if they weren't they were pimped at the same level so I don't think you can really say she was pimped disproportionately to other contestants in the competition. I am still very surprised she won honestly. I do think her story made it easier to root for her while Francisco story was that...he overcame his nerves. Hardly compelling. The Voice really doesn't go into detail about the contestant's backgrounds and if they do, it is very minimally.